• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair said:
So i'm beating up the chest thing that drops the lightning spear and it decides to run away and jump on that trap elevator that leads to the spears on the ceiling. Then the item is stuck in the middle of the elevator shaft and i can't get it.

Fucking shit design.

When shit like this happens, people need to QUIT asap.

Varna

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hehe I drop a lot of stuff, usually hollow soldier gear etc. I wonder how many enemies have spawned from it...

I've only seen one for a second. I was coming from the elevator in Undead Parish and I ran through the area and killed everything like I normally do. When I was running across the bridge to get to the blacksmith I turned around and saw some red crab like thing and a dozen arrows flying at me. Took me out instantly. :(

x3r0123

BeeDog said:
But that's what I'm trying to do without any luck. I can manage to kill him off, but when I have to face dude no. 2, he obliterates me and seems impervious to damage.

looks like another gaffer i was trying to coop left so i don't mind helping you if you are in SL141 range

Varna said:
I've only seen one for a second. I was coming from the elevator in Undead Parish and I ran through the area and killed everything like I normally do. When I was running across the bridge to get to the blacksmith I turned around and saw some red crab like thing and a dozen arrows flying at me. Took me instantly. :(
Do you drop any item, or specific ones to make this happen?

cj_iwakura

Need confirmation on Solaire and Lost Izalith.

Is it true the moment Izalith loads, it's too late if you haven't unlocked the alt path?

Also, 30 humanity for Chaos Rank 2. Is that cumulative with the 10 for rank 1, or do I need 30 more?

scy

demosthenes said:
When shit like this happens, people need to QUIT asap.

I really wish I would remember this when it's relevant :/

cj_iwakura said:

Is it true the moment Izalith loads, it's too late if you haven't unlocked the alt path?

Also, 30 humanity for Chaos Rank 2. Is that cumulative with the 10 for rank 1, or do I need 30 more?

10 to get to Rank 1, 20 to get to Rank 2 for 30 total. As for the spoiler,
Just make sure you kill the 9 maggots in the shortcut path if you're trying to save him; not sure how he functions yet, really.

Kyoufu

cj_iwakura said:

30 total so 20 more after the first rank.

knitoe

BeeDog said:
Jesus christ the Anor Londo boss is completely impossible during NG+, even if I summon Solaire. :(

Any suggestions on the best approach for this fight?
I wanted the armor so I killed the fat guy first. Probably made it much harder. I got the fat dude alone and just roll/block his attacks while getting 2-3 hits with Washing Pole Lightning +5. Do it quick enough and Solaire should still be alive. Then, pyro the shit out of the other guy.

If you want to kill the bosses in reverse, pyro the small dude first then worry about the far dude.

finally got my hands on my copy of this last night. then i had to update ps3 twice and the game once and didnt get to play much. there is always tonight i guess.

Haunted

PS3 Limited edition just arrived in the mail. Good packaging, I like it.

Will probably start playing around Tuesday, when I have some free time.

I'll probably just check a list of missable shit (like which boss souls should be kept and which can be used immediately in the first game) and then plunge in without much preparation.

edit: ^^ reading that I'll probably put it in later tonight just to get the formalities (updates, patches etc.) done before the first play session.

edit²: and yes, that means you guys will have to live with my bitching about outdated design shit for the next few weeks/months. :p The new bonfires and automatically-filling flasks mechanics are doing a lot to mitigate the worst, though.

LukeSmith

I'm still in the Forest Covenant - just rang the second bell - is there a particular point where it's more appropriate to kill Shiva and his Ninja Bodyguard than any other time?

just beat Sif, Anor Londo Bosses and stray demons - should i head to the valley of drakes yet? or those previously yellow doors opened up by the lord vessel?

Just got the dark wood grain ring...that backflip thing is awesome.

scy

Haunted said:
I'll probably just check a list of missable shit (like which boss souls should be kept and which can be used immediately in the first game) and then plunge in without much preparation.

All of them should be kept and used for weapons? Unless you're in a build that just doesn't give a damn about what they make, I guess.

LukeSmith said:
I'm still in the Forest Covenant - just rang the second bell - is there a particular point where it's more appropriate to kill Shiva and his Ninja Bodyguard than any other time?

Whenever you don't care about the covenant anymore, really.

BeeDog

x3r0123 said:
if you have smough left then stay close and roll whenever he tries to attack. If he slams then backoff

Doesn't really help unfortunately since he always seems to be able to hit me. And if he does his butt slam, I'm pretty much toast anyway.

I think the game has beaten me; haven't been this frustrated in a while. Might shelve this game :/

x3r0123 said:
looks like another gaffer i was trying to coop left so i don't mind helping you if you are in SL141 range

I'm only soul level 101, I think, but thanks anyway. Don't wanna play this section online either way, since I get invaded ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME.

Finalow

thanks to who told me ''you can fight the 4 kings without that ring''. well i changed ring and the abyss killed me.
AFTER TWO hours finally i find a dude to summon and we can arrive to the boss but hey, nope, i die like this. 3 black phantoms invaded me and i was able to summon only 1 phantom. Really game? Really? =|

and i would like to know if some people are dumb or not, i mean if you want to be summoned in that area you should know that area, so WHY do you die against 3 ghosts and 2 darksomething? Maybe 'cause you rush in there like ''dunno what's in there'' and find out that there are too many enemies.

Haunted

scy said:
All of them should be kept and used for weapons? Unless you're in a build that just doesn't give a damn about what they make, I guess.
Exactly.

I played a melee, non-magic gal in Demon's Souls so I immediately used up all that would've made (weak) bows, spells and magic trinkets. I remember making a good sword, that purple shield and a bow to cheese/exploit some bosses, the rest were useless to my build.

I need dem souls, son.

From what I've heard, it's similar in Dark Souls, so I'll take a look at the wikis that should've popped up by now before making these decisions.

x3r0123

finalozzo said:
thanks to who told me ''you can fight the 4 kings without that ring''. well i changed ring and the abyss killed me.
AFTER TWO hours finally i find a dude to summon and we can arrive to the boss but hey, nope, i die like this. 3 black phantoms invaded me and i was able to summon only 1 phantom. Really game? Really? =|

and i would like to know if some people are dumb or not, i mean if you want to be summoned in that area you should know that area, so WHY do you die against 3 ghosts and 2 darksomething? Maybe 'cause you rush in there like ''dunno what's in there'' and find out that there are too many enemies.

yep online still sucks :S

Kyoufu

LukeSmith said:

If you want the Fog Ring, you can PVP for the covenant. 3 kills gets you the ring, but there is no level restrictions so don't expect to get those 3 kills easily. You can trade for it later so it's probably not even worth doing (I did it anyway).

Make sure you buy some goodies off Shiva before sending them both to their demise.

Carnby

I still have my Collector's Edition sealed. I plan on playing it after I beat Arkham City.

Should I keep it sealed and wait for a good sale on the standard edition?

KAOz

Short bus special
BeeDog said:
Doesn't really help unfortunately since he always seems to be able to hit me. And if he does his butt slam, I'm pretty much toast anyway.

I think the game has beaten me; haven't been this frustrated in a while. Might shelve this game :/

What weapons do you have? Do you have a fully upgraded, good, right hand weapon?

And do you have the Crystal Ring Shield?

Makes that fight Easy Mode, whoever of them you fight.

cj_iwakura said:
How optimistic is the hope that a patch could make online less dead?

They said that the online was one of the things they'd be touching on in the first patch.

Hopefully they make it easier to summon people, and it's a pipe dream of mine but I wish they would make it that you could summon anyone. And if you're 100SL higher than them your stats would just scale down to their stats. And your equipment would scale down as well (as to not force you to have to switch). Would make co-op 100000x easier to summon in.

K' Dash

I'm getting summoned like nobody's business today I've made like 100k souls just farming Smough and Ornstein
3AQmK.gif

Speevy

Banned
Can someone give me some advice on
Smough and Ornstein. I made it there and got the fat one's HP down to about half, but the thin one kept hitting me. Is there anythign specific I should do to make this fight easy. I don't have any trouble damaging them.

Kweh

Can I summon an NPC to help beat the Capra Demon? When I was human I didn't see any white summoning symbols like with previous bosses.

Mid to late game spoilers:

Is there a way to wake up Frampt? I have a bunch of items I want to sell him and he's just sitting there snoring. Also, as I went down to the New Londo Ruins someone attacked me in chainmail. Was that the knight who's been sitting on the bench the whole time?

Sir Garbageman said:
Mid to late game spoilers:

Is there a way to wake up Frampt? I have a bunch of items I want to sell him and he's just sitting there snoring. Also, as I went down to the New Londo Ruins someone attacked me in chainmail. Was that the knight who's been sitting on the bench the whole time?

Take off all weapons, and punch him in the head is what I was told.

Yes @ your last question, he went crazy.

BeeDog said:
I'm only soul level 101, I think, but thanks anyway. Don't wanna play this section online either way, since I get invaded ALL. THE. FUCKING. TIME.

I'm in that range and I helped 6 or 7 people pass that boss yesterday. If you reconsider, I'll give you a hand.

cj_iwakura

K' Dash said:
I'm getting summoned like nobody's business today I've made like 100k souls just farming Smough and Ornstein
3AQmK.gif

I'm trying to do that so I can afford the rest of Logan's spells, but a lot of my summoners are NG+. Owwww.

froliq

Kweh said:
Can I summon an NPC to help beat the Capra Demon? When I was human I didn't see any white summoning symbols like with previous bosses.
Nope, the solaire NPC doesn't offer help at the Capra Demon.

cj_iwakura

Wow, reading a story thread at GameFAQs, apparently Priscilla

(WTF spoilers)

Is the daughter of Gwynevere and SEATH.

Wow.

SUBZERO-08 said:
So, what are the good Pyromancy spells to use early in the game? I already have Fireball. Should I get another and Combustion?
Combustion is awesome. It's like a powerful quick melee attack that doesn't effect stamina.

Speevy said:
Can someone give me some advice on
Smough and Ornstein. I made it there and got the fat one's HP down to about half, but the thin one kept hitting me. Is there anythign specific I should do to make this fight easy. I don't have any trouble damaging them.

If you're pyro, kill Orstein first. I killed hime with 3 Great Chaos fireballs. Concentrate on taking him out first, because Smough is relatively easy to beat once you learn his patterns.

If you're not pyro, try to stay away from Smough still. He's slower than Orstein, so continually back up around the room and you'll be able to agro Orstein close and wail on him before Smough catches up.

jaekwon15 said:
I still have my Collector's Edition sealed. I plan on playing it after I beat Arkham City.

Should I keep it sealed and wait for a good sale on the standard edition?

WARNING: I do not have the collectors ed, but
I've heard it's pretty crap, and poorly put together by Namco. Yet since it is reasonably rare it is in high demand. Personally, I would sell it sealed and get the regular edition. If you want a valuable collectible that is also worth ever penny and beautifully put together, track down the strategy guide.

Dever

Banned
finalozzo said:

For the 4 kings, equip your toughest armor, Wolf ring(The one that gives you poise iirc), cast Iron Flesh when appropriate(It can be tough to get in range to hit the enemies when you're slowed down) and wield your weapon in both hands. The idea is basically to take the damage they dish out while killing them as fast as possible. If you manage to take them out fast enough, they shouldn't be able to gang up on you. This worked for me, at least.

MechaX said:
This short cut to Lost Izalith via the Chaos Covenant... I know it's before Firesage, but is it before or after the golden gate/yellow fog?

Right before the door to Firesage, there is a gap in the wall on the right (basically, you go down the demon ruin stairs, up the stairs with the Taurus demon, then hug the right wall).

In the gap are roots that go down. If you don't have 30 humanity rank 2 chaos covenant, when you touch the wall at the dead end down there, it says something like "locked by an unknown mechanism".

Oracle Dragon said:
WARNING: I do not have the collectors ed, but
I've heard it's pretty crap, and poorly put together by Namco. Yet since it is reasonably rare it is in high demand. Personally, I would sell it sealed and get the regular edition. If you want a valuable collectible that is also worth ever penny and beautifully put together, track down the strategy guide.

In a day and age when something like the Gears 3 or Batman AC CEs pass for acceptible, I'll take an InFamous 2 or a Dark Souls over it any day. (To clarify, my problem with Batman AC CE is the fact that they put the game disc in the artbook. Absolute stupidity.)

Tip for people who want an elemental weapon, but have had the lightening-chest in Sens fuck up for one reason or another and not at Anor Londo yet to upgrade a spear to lightening yourself:

- Do the Catacombs.

The level isn't that hard once you realize you need to kill the necromancers to stop the skeletons from re-spawning (apparently Divine weapons also work?). You get access to the black smith that does fire upgrades - and the upgrade items for it are easier to find to get it up to +5 than it is to upgrade the lightening spear at this point in the game. The boss is a joke - and you also get the ability to kindle bonfires more times - running around with 15/20 estus flasks = rather fun.

I enjoyed the level, it wasn't that hard - and having a winged tip spear upgraded to +5 fire made Sens much easier (was using the Drake Sword before that). After hearing so much love for the lightening spear I decided to get (first time the chest chomped my head and insta-killed me so I ignored it for awhile) - and it took quite a few upgrades until I felt like it was better than a winged tip spear+5 fire.

Hell, even if you didn't have the chest fuck up - I still liked my +5 fire better than the lightening. Chunks are a pain to come across until later in the game.

Kyoufu

Can't fault the Dark Souls LE because its the same price as a standard game. The artbook is really cool and you get the OST. Can't fault that at all.

rogerroger22 said:
Tip for people who want an elemental weapon, but have had the lightening-chest in Sens fuck up for one reason or another and not at Anor Londo yet to upgrade a spear to lightening yourself:

- Do the Catacombs.

The level isn't that hard once you realize you need to kill the necromancers to stop the skeletons from re-spawning (apparently Divine weapons also work?). You get access to the black smith that does fire upgrades - and the upgrade items for it are easier to find to get it up to +5 than it is to upgrade the lightening spear at this point in the game. The boss is a joke - and you also get the ability to kindle bonfires more times - running around with 15/20 estus flasks = rather fun.

I enjoyed the level, it wasn't that hard - and having a winged tip spear upgraded to +5 fire made Sens much easier (was using the Drake Sword before that). After hearing so much love for the lightening spear I decided to get (first time the chest chomped my head and insta-killed me so I ignored it for awhile) - and it took quite a few upgrades until I felt like it was better than a winged tip spear+5 fire.

Hell, even if you didn't have the chest fuck up - I still liked my +5 fire better than the lightening. Chunks are a pain to come across until later in the game.

If you do catacombs without a divine weapon you're doing it wrong.

MechaX

corrosivefrost said:
Right before the door to Firesage, there is a gap in the wall on the right (basically, you go down the demon ruin stairs, up the stairs with the Taurus demon, then hug the right wall).

In the gap are roots that go down. If you don't have 30 humanity rank 2 chaos covenant, when you touch the wall at the dead end down there, it says something like "locked by an unknown mechanism".

Ah... I see. I remember that area, which would make it immediately after the Yellow Fog Gate.

Much appreciated. Time to clear Sen's and Anor Lonod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom