• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

The two Kite shields have a great stability to weight ratio. You can get to 71 at +14 and I think 72 if you wanna commit a slab. And they only weigh 3.0, very good shields.

M.D

The Tomb of Giants is such bullshit T_T

Not with a Sunlight Maggot :p

This game is incredible.
I came to Dark Souls without playing Demon's Souls, and I thought for sure I was wasting my money.

I should note I'm at the very end of the game, and I am now able to fight Gwyn.

I thought I'd rage quit after the first couple of tries, but I didn't.
The gameplay, art style, sounds... Everything about this game is so unique.

I never played a game so rewarding and with such satisfying combat. I seriously find it hard playing Skyrim after playing this game.. I mean, it's such a huge difference. I feel nothing when doing combat in Skyrim.

I thought I was going to suck at this game, but I don't. At least in PVE.
I don't think the game is hard as most people say it is. It's probably one of the hardest games to come out in the last 10 years, sure, but I think it requires you to actually be invested in the game and world, sort of like an MMO.

I was hooked from the moment I started playing, and I knew I love this game. I can imagine someone who's just not as interested throwing it aside after one try.

I find it amazing how every environment in this game is completely different than the one before. This gives the game so much diversity and keeps it interesting the whole time.

The one thing I don't know if I should be angry or happy about is the fact that the game provides you with no information, and I've had to read Wiki's the whole time. I'm not actually angry about that part, just the fact I've read so much stuff I would have like to find on my own but probably never would have.

What's do people think is the hardest boss in the game? for me it was probably O&S

I actually killed Capra Demon pretty easily the first time
Four Kings was also easy the second time when I equipped my Crest Shield. They couldn't do shit :p
Sif, Nito, Seath, Gaping Dragon, Pinwheel and now when I think about, actually most bosses weren't that hard

Right now I'm at the end of the game, and I'm able to fight Gwyn.
I don't know what I should do right now. I think I'm like level 85-90? Something in that Range... I'm a Pyro and invested heavily in VIT and END for most of the game, and I think I've got VIT at 33 and END at 36

I've got 20 DEX and I'd like to say.. 28 STR

I've used Drake Sword up till' Sen's Fortress, then switched to Lighting Spear (upgraded to +3) and switched to the amazing Uchigatana (Lighting +5)! Katanas are the shit!

I just love it's move set. I can deal lots of damage with it, but the great thing is it's also very fast, so I can deal that damage X2-4 hits

I've added points to my STR to try out heavier weapons and I just can't use them. I've upgraded Man-Serpent Greatsword and I just hate it move set. Same for Gargoyle's Halberd.

I can't find a weapon I like as much as my Uchigatana.
As far as shields go, I'm using an Eagle Shield +14 and I find it's got a good balance between all the stats I need and it's got the most stability I can get without using the two other heavier shield which I can't use

When I need a good shield against fire or magic, I've got Crest Shield and Black Knight Shield (I think.. Is this the one with 95 fire block?)

I didn't bother upgrading my armor as I switch it constantly and can't find one I really like.. any tips about that?

Any tips before I go into NG+? Things I should do? Things I should make? Upgrade?

What do I keep and what do I lose?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That is the right route, the hardest enemy doesn't respawn. With the regular knights, keep your shield up, dodge attack, hit once or twice, back off and repeat. Pyromancy is also good and if you can, try to sneak behind them to get the first attack. With the hardest enemy (you know when you meet him) avoid every hit he does and take it slow.

There's a bonfire nearby, try to find it.

Yeah I made it and took care of the gargoyles. Seems like I now have 3 choices, which all seem equally scary : capra demon (yikes!), the gardens, or the area below firelink. I have the Drake sword now, which'll help quite a bit I'm sure.
With magic being nerfed, the open world, rings being more rare (0 found so far), and enemies being smarter in general, Dark's significantly harder than its predecessor imo.

Apdiddy

Argh, keep getting invaded while trying to look for help in the Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave.

And I echo the thoughts about this game being amazing. Every enemy/world has a strategy involved.

Apdiddy

Not with a Sunlight Maggot :p

Any tips before I go into NG+? Things I should do? Things I should make? Upgrade?

What do I keep and what do I lose?

If you can, make
a Queelaag's Furysword and Greatshield of Artoris. I'm at SL98 and both of those have helped me a lot. You need STR 34 to use the shield though.

M.D

Argh, keep getting invaded while trying to look for help in the Duke's Archives/Crystal Cave.

One of the things I don't like about this game.
I played %99 of the game offline.

I just hate being invaded. I also don't like PVP very much..

Where are you exactly? Are you already in the Crystal Cave? It's not that hard getting to Seath... you could just run there and the actual boss fight is one of the easiest in the game

Apdiddy

Where are you exactly? Are you already in the Crystal Cave? It's not that hard getting to Seath... you could just run there and the actual boss fight is one of the easiest in the game

I'm at the second bonfire -- what I like to do is either summon help/get summoned so I can get a feel for the world and know how to move through it.

After about the second or third summon/fight against him, I see what you mean.

Booshka

And I echo the thoughts about this game being amazing. Every enemy/world has a strategy involved.

Duke's Archives is my latest hotspot for invading as Darkwraith, got a lot of good activity there. One guy bowed to me and dropped a Black Knight Halberd, so when I invaded him again I dropped a Twin Humanity for him.

I like that level for invading because it takes a while to get through so you have better chances of invading people before they challenge the boss. It's also a fun level to fight in. Whenever I get rage messages I just ask them if they want my help, put my summon sign down and then they love me because I own the boss for them. Unless they are way past my level, in that case, they just need to get better at the game.

M.D

I'm at the second bonfire -- what I like to do is either summon help/get summoned so I can get a feel for the world and know how to move through it.

After about the second or third summon/fight against him, I see what you mean.

I've already got
Queelaag's Furysword
and I find it okay. It's move set is nice but then my Uchigatana deals way more damage and I prefer it's move set.

About
Greatshield of Artoris
- It's looks like a fine shield :p But my Eagle Shield +14 looks pretty comparable in terms of stats.. except for the fact that the former shield
takes no damage from direct hits?
Did I get that right? And I remember I've read
you can't dodge with it?
Or was that a different shield/weapon? Or I'm completely wrong...

I thought about trying
Greatsword of Artorias
but I haven't invested even one point in the required stats so that's not going to happen

About The Crystal Cave - I'd recommend you keep trying with the summoning.
It's a short way to Seath, but not an easy one. Did you explore a bit? I'm not sure so I don't want to ruin it for you

Duke's Archives is my latest hotspot for invading as Darkwraith, got a lot of good activity there. One guy bowed to me and dropped a Black Knight Halberd, so when I invaded him again I dropped a Twin Humanity for him.

I like that level for invading because it takes a while to get through so you have better chances of invading people before they challenge the boss. It's also a fun level to fight in. Whenever I get rage messages I just ask them if they want my help, put my summon sign down and then they love me because I own the boss for them. Unless they are way past my level, in that case, they just need to get better at the game.

I've probably invaded one or two guys the whole game... both in Anor Londo which is my favorite area in the game.
I just don't get the thrill of invading someone.. I've had much more enjoyment when helping someone against O&S.. I felt pretty awesome :p Sucks being summoned only works once in a lifetime -_-

Duke's Archives is a cool area and pretty challenging once you
Get out of prison
IIRC

BTW, I'm also Darkwraith high five :p

Also, I just need to get this out my system....

FUCK Blighttown! NEVER AGAIN

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just wanted to ask one more time:

If anyone has a blue slab they don't need, I can trade a normal slab or just about any rare weapon drop for it. I just need one more blue slab to be able to upgrade every path in this playthrough. I'm lv 120 on PS3. Thanks!

The Chef

I thought so too, until I got my Divine Zweihander levelled up and learned the layout. Then it was a joke.
I've been hesitant to use my lv 1 Divine Zweihander because its so enormous and difficult to swing. What kind of damage output do you get with that thing?

Apdiddy

Well, I finally said 'screw it' and went after the boss of the Crystal Caves. I basically took the shortcuts I saw and it wasn't that bad. I killed him the first time.

The Four Kings on the other hand.....I go to New Londo Ruins and I keep.getting.invaded. Half the people invading me haven't even finished the game! It's really annoying IMO and I personally feel that sending a 'indictment' doesn't do anything. The game is hard enough as it is without the invasions.
I just now realized that there is a NPC that can help me in the fight. I guess I'll do the battle off-line.

So I'm in the Tomb of the Giants and
just killed those two dudes who went hollow next to Rhea.
Now I gotta figure out how to move around with the Sunlight Maggot.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Finally...those damn, cheap bastard archers in Anor Londo. Such cheap BS....the only thing in this game so far where i felt the game was a little too unfair. But damn, what a rush when i finally got by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I made it and took care of the gargoyles. Seems like I now have 3 choices, which all seem equally scary : capra demon (yikes!), the gardens, or the area below firelink. I have the Drake sword now, which'll help quite a bit I'm sure.
With magic being nerfed, the open world, rings being more rare (0 found so far), and enemies being smarter in general, Dark's significantly harder than its predecessor imo.

magic nerfed? hardly. limited casts just forces you to save it for the right occasion. there's no point doing >1000 damage to a hollow soldier anyway.

I've had much more enjoyment when helping someone against O&S.. I felt pretty awesome :p Sucks being summoned only works once in a lifetime -_-

Duke's Archives is a cool area and pretty challenging once you
Get out of prison
IIRC

BTW, I'm also Darkwraith high five :p

Also, I just need to get this out my system....

FUCK Blighttown! NEVER AGAIN

maybe you should try the sunlight covenant if you'd rather support than invade. and use this handy level ranges chart to maximise your chances of getting summoned.

MMaRsu

Just took down bed of chaos and went through the tomb of giants which was hard, but i only died twice and killed gravelord nito on my own on my first try! Shit was fucking tense! Whats the best roadmap to ng+?

MMaRsu

Just wanted to ask one more time:

If anyone has a blue slab they don't need, I can trade a normal slab or just about any rare weapon drop for it. I just need one more blue slab to be able to upgrade every path in this playthrough. I'm lv 120 on PS3. Thanks!
I have a blue slab i can part with, im on ps3 but my sl is 84..

I didn't bother upgrading my armor as I switch it constantly and can't find one I really like.. any tips about that?

do whatever you like, there's a few great sets that aren't upgradeable anyway, but that said it's cheap to +9 something (whatever the max is without a titanite slab). i'll also change it around a bit but i generally decide on a weight limit for a character (DWGR/Havels or not, 25% or 50% burden etc.) and build around that.

'scuse blurry phone pics but here's my current set-ups.. where possible i've upgraded at the main pieces as far as they will without slabs.

Gareth - SL25, ng+, spent most of the game in black leather+9 and sunlight maggot with DWGR but can't wear at the moment as I've put on the FAP and Artorias for four kings.
gareth_1qju6a.jpg

Wei - SL108, ng+, been wearing this most of that time. Not using any weight rings, just under 25% here. That's a +10 fire gargoyles halberd she's holding. Usually wearing Bellowing + Wolf rings.
wei_18hu12.jpg

Oddyseus - SL90, ng. my first character, deprived start, bit of a jack of all trades. Havels ring. 50% burden.
oddyseus_1ziuzc.jpg

God's Bollocks - SL86, ng. Faith build, Havels ring. That's a mix of giant's, elite knight and dingy. 50% burden.
godsbollocks_13putb.jpg

MMaRsu

Victory achieved, finished it.. my last boss was kind of a letdown as i summoned someone upon entering the kindle because i has been invaded. She stuck around and proceeded to asswhoop gwen. I helped but still..

Sullichin

Found this really cool character planner, might be useful to some

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Anyway, I now have two characters that can use the first bonfire in Dark Anor Londo even though it's dark / there's no fire keeper. I much prefer it this way.. it worked for me on two characters with these conditions:

- both characters were BB glitched
- both characters are in NG+ when this happened
- kill gwyndolin, then firekeeper, then ornstein and smough, then gwynevere

Can still get invaded and stuff, but the bonfire works normally, so when I die I can easily warp back to chamber of the princess. Nice. Don't know if this is common knowledge or if all of the above needs to be true.

Mike M

Nick N
Went and got my sins forgiven so the pyromancy vendor in Blighttown would talk to me again.

Went back to that swamp, and she was fucking dead! She was alive when I left, what the fuck happened?!

So now I'm out getting an ascended flame and anything else she sold except for the one pyromancy that was her drop.

Fuck.

Sullichin

Went and got my sins forgiven so the pyromancy vendor in Blighttown would talk to me again.

Went back to that swamp, and she was fucking dead! She was alive when I left, what the fuck happened?!

So now I'm out getting an ascended flame and anything else she sold except for the one pyromancy that was her drop.

Fuck.

Did you aggro her? Sounds like she got poisoned in the swamp and died a slow death while you were absolving your sins. NG+ baby!

Fuck.

You can still ascend your flame at the NPC near the Daughter of Chaos bonfire.

M.D

do whatever you like, there's a few great sets that aren't upgradeable anyway, but that said it's cheap to +9 something (whatever the max is without a titanite slab). i'll also change it around a bit but i generally decide on a weight limit for a character (DWGR/Havels or not, 25% or 50% burden etc.) and build around that.

'scuse blurry phone pics but here's my current set-ups.. where possible i've upgraded at the main pieces as far as they will without slabs.

Gareth - SL25, ng+, spent most of the game in black leather+9 and sunlight maggot with DWGR but can't wear at the moment as I've put on the FAP and Artorias for four kings.

Wei - SL108, ng+, been wearing this most of that time. Not using any weight rings, just under 25% here. That's a +10 fire gargoyles halberd she's holding. Usually wearing Bellowing + Wolf rings.

Oddyseus - SL90, ng. my first character, deprived start, bit of a jack of all trades. Havels ring. 50% burden.

God's Bollocks - SL86, ng. Faith build, Havels ring. That's a mix of giant's, elite knight and dingy. 50% burden.

I always try to stay at %50, even when I wear heavy armor like Havel's or Black Iron.. I just use the needed rings and if that still doesn't work I wear one different piece

I'll probably upgrade a bunch of armor/weapons/shields now, as I'm about to finish the game

You do keep most of the stuff right? What do I keep and lose while going to NG+? What should I do before starting NG+?

What would you recommend to do with my next char? I'm a Pyro right now. I love the fact I have this as a secondary weapon.

I'm not sure I'd like to be a Pyro next time tho. It would probably be kind of boring, and I'd like to see more of what the game has got to offer.

BTW, I'll be sure to join the sunlight covenant when I get to play... thanks for that chart :)
I need to help defeat a couple of bosses first...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok... I am getting so pissed at this game, lol.

I'm in the archives... at the lower firepit where BHL was trapped. I went back down there to get the firekeeper's soul and let him out of his cell, but he was gone. So now I want to go to the hidden area to find him and buy some good magic (I actually looked at the wiki for this bit, when BHL was missing I thought I'd encountered a bug) but I keep fucking dying.

The archives are just such bullshit for my character. I'm pure magic. And for this section, waaaaay over-leveled. I'm like SL 80. But I have no armor. The arrows from the generic archers kill me in one shot. But if I spec my rings to deal with physical I get killed by the mage assholes. Last night I finally got past the hardest part, but got stuck on a fucking chair while dashing toward the fire pit and one-shotted by an arrow... Aarrrrgghe!

I will probably get past on my next attempt, but goddamned if this isn't frustrating.

Pure magic characters are the hardest to play in this game. I have probably 6-7 different builds that I've put the same amount of time into, and they are all so much easier than this. (for example, I laughed at this part of the game w/ my DEX build and much lower SL)

I can't find a weapon I like as much as my Uchigatana.
The Nadochi might be your new friend.

So yeah, finished Dark Souls today, just to die 10 minutes into NG+.

Kinda fitting I think, and
maybe even a better end to the game for me than the actual ending. ;-)

M.D

The Nadochi might be your new friend.

So yeah, finished Dark Souls today, just to die 10 minutes into NG+.

Kinda fitting I think, and
maybe even a better end to the game for me than the actual ending. ;-)

You mean Washing Pole? I already
killed Shiva
:/
Is there any other way to get it?
I understand most people prefer Iaito to Uchigatana, but I'm too lazy to upgrade it now.. it can't that much better

Apdiddy

I finally beat the game. It was glorious.
Still had to get help against Gwyn from two really good players online though. :( I went with the Dark Lord ending because to get set on fire as an ending is lame.

Here's the trick for me to finally beat the Four Kings:
I changed to the Havel's Armor set and used the Greatshield against them. I didn't try to roll out of the way but I was able to get far enough back to refill on estus.

Also, I used a trick I saw from EpicNameBro who suggested using the Black Knight Halberd +5 as the main weapon. That really helped me against the boss of the Tomb of the Giants and the Four Kings.

I hope if there is a Dark Souls 2
you go into space and fight walking starmen and a living planet! Plus a giant toddler who wants to eat you! Plus a black phantom version of your character (a la Dark Link from Zelda II).

M.D

I finally beat the game. It was glorious.
Still had to get help against Gwyn from two really good players online though. :( I went with the Dark Lord ending because to get set on fire as an ending is lame.

Here's the trick for me to finally beat the Four Kings:
I changed to the Havel's Armor set and used the Greatshield against them. I didn't try to roll out of the way but I was able to get far enough back to refill on estus.

Also, I used a trick I saw from EpicNameBro who suggested using the Black Knight Halberd +5 as the main weapon. That really helped me against the boss of the Tomb of the Giants and the Four Kings.

I hope if there is a Dark Souls 2
you go into space and fight walking starmen and a living planet! Plus a giant toddler who wants to eat you! Plus a black phantom version of your character (a la Dark Link from Zelda II).

Congrats!
I think I'll keep fucking around a bit before going to NG+

What character are you going to do next?

BTW, Was Four Kings really that hard? I beat them on my second try.. I think I was wearing the... Havel's set? I'm pretty sure... And the Crest Shield which gives you 80 Magic defense

I took them down pretty easily.. Not sure if I used my Uch Lighting +5 or Pyro..
Could be that I used my Pyro and they have low fire resist and that's why I managed to kill them pretty quickly

Apdiddy

Congrats!

What character are you going to do next?

BTW, Was Four Kings really that hard? I beat them on my second try.. I think I was wearing the... Havel's set? I'm pretty sure... And the Crest Shield which gives you 80 Magic defense

I took them down pretty easily.. Not sure if I used my Uch Lighting +5 or Pyro..
Could be that I used my Pyro and they have low fire resist and that's why I managed to kill them pretty quickly

I may try for either a Cleric or Sorcerer class next. My Knight ended up being a pyromancer and I only started leveling up my Faith & Intelligence enough to use the more high end spells/miracles. (
I had Quelana's Pyromancy flame +5 by the end of the game, Queelaag's Furysword + 5 and a Lightning Zweihander +5 by the end. My character had high enough stats to use the Homing Crystal Soul Mass too.
)

Final stats for my Knight (from the top of my head):

Vitality: 31
Attunement: 12
Endurance: 30
Strength: 34
Dexterity: 20
Resistance: 11
Intelligence: 25
Faith: 22

I found the Four Kings to be very difficult until I just concentrated on killing each of them one at a time (and basically not allowing three more to spawn).

batbeg

Is there any particular reason I'm utterly incapable of successfully summoning a phantom? I'm always just told immediately I failed to create a session :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there any particular reason I'm utterly incapable of successfully summoning a phantom? I'm always just told immediately I failed to create a session :(

Sometimes I can't summon... last time it happened I think I failed 30+ attempts. And then sometimes I can summon three companions at once without trouble.

It's another part of the game that just feels half-baked.

As much as I love this game... I'm very disappointed with the developers, and their performance here. This game was released too early, in an unfinished state.

Solo

So I'm on the final boss now, Gwyn. Tips? Like, I only need to hit him 8 times to beat him with my Fire Greatsword +9, which isn't many hits, but his attacks totally DESTROY my stamina. Usually what ends up happening is he whittles my stamina down to nothing and then I can't block anymore and he kills me. Of those 8 required hits, the most I've managed to get so far was 2.

Sullichin

So I'm on the final boss now, Gwyn. Tips? Like, I only need to hit him 8 times to beat him with my Fire Greatsword +9, which isn't many hits, but his attacks totally DESTROY my stamina. Usually what ends up happening is he whittles my stamina down to nothing and then I can't block anymore and he kills me. Of those 8 required hits, the most I've managed to get so far was 2.

Parry/Riposte with the black knight shield. Or, roll through his attacks instead of trying to block because like you said, blocking takes a ton of stamina. Heal when he misses his throw attack.

Pure magic characters are the hardest to play in this game. I have probably 6-7 different builds that I've put the same amount of time into, and they are all so much easier than this. (for example, I laughed at this part of the game w/ my DEX build and much lower SL)

what exactly do you mean by pure mage - no melee at all? i ran through there about SL80, 50 int, low dex/str, with a +10 fire gargoyles halberd in nothing but my pyjamas and fancy cap, and it was fine. maybe it depends how you are trying to play, but my mage is blitzing the crap out of the game. Halfway through ng+ no problems so far, going to take her to ng++ at least. if you aren't wearing them, you should definitely track down the bellowing dragoncrest ring and the crown of dusk for boosting magic damage.

if you've got the crest shield from returning to the asylum, fully upgrade it and the channellers shouldn't be much of a problem.

So I finally finished this game, after 100 odd hours.

God damn, what a bastard of a game. Almost certainly the hardest game I've ever played, and this is coming from someone who can finish Battletoads and the like without breaking a sweat. I started off NG+... and it's not as hard as I was anticipating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom