• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
thanks for the replies.

the one good thing about today (besides finding the bonfire in Blight) is that in my frustration i decided to attack the lounging golden knight guy i previously freed, who sits along the path from Firelink to Blight.

i figured he would kill me, but i got him first try and he dropped his ring for me.

yeah. problem being, im at the bonfire, all out of purple moss and crossbow bolts. i discovered pretty quickly that projectiles are the way to go, but that was 40 mosquitoes ago. there seems to be no way to travel the 10 feet i need to go to cross the swamp without getting poisined. not that i cant just heal myself repeatedly, but man it gets frustating getting poisoned every single time.

so back up i go to restock i suppose.

There are also four armor sets scattered around blightown, and three of them are really good poison defense. If you are at the bottom bonfire, the pyromancer set is not very far away.

And you probably should have gotten the spider shield while you were in the depths. And the ember, so you could upgrade your equip.

Going backdoor into BT isn't really the best idea for a first timer.

What was your starting character?

Solo

Does anyone know what the purpose of those two rings of light in lower catacombs are?

Wondered that myself when I was there.

Didn't have time to play yesterday or likely today, but hopefully tomorrow I can beat the game, after some 5 weeks/70 hours.

Frank

And you probably should have gotten the spider shield while you were in the depths. And the ember, so you could upgrade your equip.

I think he didn't do the Depths, went through the back end of Blighttown through Valley of Drakes -- the guy seems to be the exploring type, and he found the alternative way of going about the progression.

Personally, I don't think not going through the Depths is a bad thing. Whatever path you take, it's yours -- a more personalized progression arc. The game is open like that.

And the only thing he actually needs to get out of The Depths is the Large Ember, which is in the initial parts of the area, in the kitchen where he'll find the Butcher. Nearby there's also Laurentius, the pyromancer, to free from a barrel, but that's about it for the list of worthy stuff to get.

The Spider Shield I think he already got, because there's one on a body in the Valley of Drakes if I remember correctly.

In the worst case scenario, this leaves an area to discover later in the same playthrough, or in future ones.

CSampson

I'm aboot 25 hours into this gem and I'm stuck on the boss fight in anor ?. The boss fight with
the two bosses, lion face and fatass w/ hammer
. I'm using a lightning spear from Sen's still. The problem is I don't know if my gear is good enough. I'm a slvl 50 cleric and wearing the gold trim robes. Also the eagle shield which keeps me under 50% endurance. I can usually
kill one of the two
easily enough but the other guy just bum bones me. I've called in like 5 summons to help but jesus, I swear these people are worse than me (don't roll out of AoE, etc.). PLUS I keep getting invaded and the same guy must of got me 3-4 times yesterday. Any tips or anyone willing to be summoned into my game ?

ALSO, I used the black eye orb thing in the proper area and...yeah I can't even fathom how to
kill all three of those fucks

GREAT GAME!

Daigoro

Have you been to Lower Undead Burg or The Depths? sounds like the Master key has led you to skip two areas already and I think you're trying to go the wrong way trough Blight town, which I would not recommend at all.

There is a door close to the long bridge with the Red Dragon, just above the first bonfire in Undead Burg. It's straight across from where you came out after beating the Taurus demon.

i have been to lower Undead Burg, but havent beat the boss or advanced anywhere.

this seems to be what has happened. i do have the Master Key. havent been to the Depths yet, i dont think...

Learn to ignore the mosquitoes. Take them out only if you need to stay in one area for a bit and they are bothering you. Otherwise just keep moving and ignore them.

If you do not have any purple moss and you are in Blighttown swamp......not the best situation, especially if you are planning on spending a bit of time exploring the area.

My suggestion:
Summon some help at bonfire, hightail it to boss, watch the cutscene (wink wink)
ring the second bell.
. If you want to spend any amount of time in the area you really need the moss (and ring that helps you move fast in water). Either buy moss from vendor lady in sewers or head back to Darkroot garden and farm the trees.

Do you have some humanities? If so, enkindle the bonfire, summon somebody and rush to the boss.
Poison is not that bad. It doesn't drain your health really quickly, so with 10 estus, you can make it easily.

i did a combination of these things actually. i just ran past a bunch of mosquitoes and they stopped following me. made it up to behind the big creature blocking the way at the top of Blighttown and died twice.

then i saw a bunch of player signs saying need humanity, so i turned human and summoned a guy who ran off towards the boss (had no idea where he was going). i lost him completely but chased after in the direction he was headed. ran past the entrance then back and found Queelags Lair.

tried her twice with the same guy and beat her. went past her and got my reward. my partner disappeared (is this how this normally works?) got an achievement, and then all of my achviement points were wiped out. excellent timing. haha.

pushed on and found the new Covenant thanks to some well placed signs.

went to the demons pit place and got lucky beating that boss by running away from it. got the black robe armor with good resistance. tried to push forward but the enemies were too strong, so i went back. on my way back through Blight at this time.

my first co-op experience and it was a good one. the guy wasnt overpowered, only did a bit more damage than me and i healed him a few times. also, someone tried to attack us i think, but he died quick. i think my co-op partner killed him. i didnt see what happened, but got the loot.

There are also four armor sets scattered around blightown, and three of them are really good poison defense. If you are at the bottom bonfire, the pyromancer set is not very far away.

Going backdoor into BT isn't really the best idea for a first timer.

What was your starting character?

im a Pyromancer. i have been using the red robe armor set for a while now. i found most of the others i think. now im using the black robe set which seems to have really good resistance.

I think he didn't do the Depths, went through the back end of Blighttown through Valley of Drakes -- the guy seems to be the exploring type, and he found the alternative way of going about the progression.

Personally, I don't think not going through the Depths is a bad thing. Whatever path you take, it's yours -- a more personalized progression arc. The game is open like that.

And the only thing he actually needs to get out of The Depths is the Large Ember, which is in the initial parts of the area, in the kitchen where he'll find the Butcher. Nearby there's also Laurentius, the pyromancer, to free from a barrel, but that's about it for the list of worthy stuff to get.

The Spider Shield I think he already got, because there's one on a body in the Valley of Drakes if I remember correctly.

In the worst case scenario, this leaves an area to discover later in the same playthrough, or in future ones.

yeah got the spider shield somewhere... forgot. i guess ill find the Depths eventually. gonna have to do some back tracking.

i rand the second bell, so i dont know of an immediate goal, but i still have lots of areas to clear i guess.

Frank

im a Pyromancer.

Ah, oops. Then, yeah -- go back to Lower Undead Burg, wipe the floor with that Capra Demon (also, now that you got the hang of summoning, remember there's signs at the entrance in Lower Undead Burg and on the small bridge right in front of Capra's door) and get the key for the Depths. Having someone with you makes that fight simple.

Then, do a bit of the initial parts of the Depths. At least until you find the Large Ember and you free Laurentius. He's a pyromancer, and he'll become your best friend. After you free him, you can find him at Firelink Shrine. He'll be able to upgrade your Pyro Flame, sell you a few pyromancies and offer words of wisdom.

Before entering the Depths, do explore around a bit. You'll find a merchant and a handy shortcut nearby.

Next stop for you: Sen's Fortress. If you remember Andre, the smith in Undead Parish, above him there's a bonfire. Next to that bonfire is an exit and a long bridge that takes you to a biiiiig gate, which was previously closed. Now that you rang the second bell, that big door's open and you can advance.

/edit And for the love of humanity, when seeing someone trapped in a barrel, don't hit it with your weapon -- roll into it. It wil break the barrel, freeing whoever/whatever was trapped there without aggroing or killing the person trapped. If you kill Laurentius, your pyromancer career is (possibly) over. You might still find another NPC at the bottom of Blighttown, around the area with the wheel you have been using to go up and down (she can upgrade your Flame and sell you some pyro spells) but I am really unsure if she appears under these conditions - no upgraded flame, dead Laurentius.

Does anyone know what the purpose of those two rings of light in lower catacombs are?

This, right?

soyZo.jpg

GAF told me it means someone else used some kind of spell; your miracles have more power there or something. I don't really remember because it's nothing particularly significant.

Daigoro

ive seen those lights on the path under the dragon bridge in Undead Burg/parish several times before.

wondering what that was all about.

Ah, oops. Then, yeah -- go back to Lower Undead Burg, wipe the floor with that Capra Demon (also, now that you got the hang of summoning, remember there's signs at the entrance in Lower Undead Burg and on the small bridge right in front of Capra's door) and get the key for the Depths. Having someone with you makes that fight simple.

Then, do a bit of the initial parts of the Depths. At least until you find the Large Ember and you free Laurentius. He's a pyromancer, and he'll become your best friend. After you free him, you can find him at Firelink Shrine. He'll be able to upgrade your Pyro Flame, sell you a few pyromancies and offer words of wisdom.

Before entering the Depths, do explore around a bit. You'll find a merchant and a handy shortcut nearby.

Next stop for you: Sen's Fortress. If you remember Andre, the smith in Undead Parish, above him there's a bonfire. Next to that bonfire is an exit and a long bridge that takes you to a biiiiig gate, which was previously closed. Now that you rang the second bell, that big door's open and you can advance.

dont give everything away at once! thank you though. :)

so i was summoned by some japanese player... he's only wearing underwear and he's doing an animation that kinda looks like he's scratching his ass (equipping/unequipping his bow, i think). then he keeps running into a fire, healing himself, running back into the fire... as long as his estus flasks last. then he runs off and jumps off a bridge.

okay

Soulhouf

so i was summoned by some japanese player... he's only wearing underwear and he's doing an animation that kinda looks like he's scratching his ass (equipping/unequipping his bow, i think). then he keeps running into a fire, healing himself, running back into the fire... as long as his estus flasks last. then he runs off and jumps off a bridge.

okay

Right?
That's what I love about Japanese players. You run sometimes to weird players who are practicing some strange ritual.
They prefer to do spectacular things that remain engraved into your mind. They often don't use the same gear/weapons you usually see.

Once I was invaded by a Japanese player who was wearing only underwear with symbol of avarice and a claw in each hand.
This setting was far from efficient for battle but I'll never forget it because it was unique, unlike western players who are always wearing the boring and painful Giant Set/DWGR/Pinwheel mask... (yes I hate those players so much).

okay

Funny, but that kinda reminds me that there's likely way more little kids and children playing these games with us than we "adult" types would care to admit.

Right?
That's what I love about Japanese players. You run sometimes to weird players who are practicing some strange ritual.
They prefer to do spectacular things that remain engraved into your mind. They often don't use the same gear/weapons you usually see.

Once I was invaded by a Japanese player who was wearing only underwear with symbol of avarice and a claw in each hand.
This setting was far from efficient for battle but I'll never forget it because it was unique, unlike western players who are always wearing the boring and painful Giant Set/DWGR/Pinwheel mask... (yes I hate those players so much).

hah, yeah. i remember in Demon's Souls playing on the japanese servers i had many bizarre encounters. and one of the first players that summoned me gave me a fully upgraded Sharp weapon (meaning he had used a Pure Bladestone for it).... i didn't know yet how rare it was so i didn't even really thank him or anything lol.

any low level players need help or want to help me?

i'm trying to make a decent sub- 20 level character (not for griefing others!), and i'm not sure if i can beat some levels alone (dreading O&S, etc). would be cool if someone with an already impressive (or decent enough) low level character could occasionally help me out with things :) i'm more than happy to return the favor.

add me on PSN (astroturfing) and hit me up.

what's your favorite shield?

which shield has the best magic protection?

I think the "best" shield is eagle+15. 84 stability and only weighs 6. Good lightning def too, which is kind of rare.

For magic, use the crest shield, although on paper havel's shield is better. Not very practical though.

Sullichin

i'm trying to make a decent sub- 20 level character (not for griefing others!), and i'm not sure if i can beat some levels alone (dreading O&S, etc). would be cool if someone with an already impressive (or decent enough) low level character could occasionally help me out with things :) i'm more than happy to return the favor.

I've got a decent level 15, have the lord souls minus four kings + couple of other bosses left.. he's stuck at centipede demon now, I might wind up just using the shortcut. but yeah i'm up to co-op some bosses, PSN in sullichin.

I've got a decent level 15, have the lord souls minus four kings + couple of other bosses left.. he's stuck at centipede demon now, I might wind up just using the shortcut. but yeah i'm up to co-op some bosses, PSN in sullichin.

sweet. i'll add you when i'm on my PS3. your first job might be helping me with Queelag :p she was easy on my other character but i was much higher level.. i'm certain i will die at least a few times if i go in alone.

This, right?

soyZo.jpg

GAF told me it means someone else used some kind of spell; your miracles have more power there or something. I don't really remember because it's nothing particularly significant.

I thought it was somehow related to Way Of White or some other covenant. I think it's the same ring that is the marker for the Anor Londo ride in Sen's Fortress. It's kinda weird how those are the only other ones in the game AFAIK and they are always there.

Evolved1

So I was kinda bored today and didn't really feel like progressing anything... I'm in an early spot where you can farm titanite chunks, and I just basically sat there for a couple hours hammering away and upgrading stuff.

And since I was getting souls as well, I figured I'd upgrade my twinkling titanite armor sets.

Anyway... turns out the shadow armor set upgraded to +5 is worse (way worse) than the damn beginner pyromancy set at +9. I was pretty surprised by this. And the weight difference is only 1 lb, so it's not like you're getting much advantage there.

Considering you get both of these sets in the same general area, or start with the better one, I'm left to wonder what purpose the shadow armor serves.

It's not even that cool looking... is there something this set buffs that I'm unaware of?

Booshka

So I was kinda bored today and didn't really feel like progressing anything... I'm in an early spot where you can farm titanite chunks, and I just basically sat there for a couple hours hammering away and upgrading stuff.

And since I was getting souls as well, I figured I'd upgrade my twinkling titanite armor sets.

Anyway... turns out the shadow armor set upgraded to +5 is worse (way worse) than the damn beginner pyromancy set at +9. I was pretty surprised by this. And the weight difference is only 1 lb, so it's not like you're getting much advantage there.

Considering you get both of these sets in the same general area, or start with the better one, I'm left to wonder what purpose the shadow armor serves.

It's not even that cool looking... is there something this set buffs that I'm unaware of?

I think it looks pretty cool, the stats are terrible, but it's very light and is unique. Tattered gear is good but looks shitty.

Guevara

So much of the armor sets in DkS are pretty much just for RPG dress-up. Really only 5 sets are great for PvP, maybe 10 for PvE depending on conditions and build.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Trying to get summoned for a boss fight is by far the most boring experience I've ever had in Dark Souls. Getting in the Sunlight Covenant isn't fun.

I was able to kill S&O with solely with the Avelyn. After getting distance & shooting one (and the after the reload animation), immediately roll away as they start to attack.
You might be able to do the same with a plain upgraded heavy crossbow as well.

So much of the armor sets in DkS are pretty much just for RPG dress-up. Really only 5 sets are great for PvP, maybe 10 for PvE depending on conditions and build.

Not true.
You will get destroy if you wear Havels or Giants armor against someone specially using toxin, bleed etc.. damage.

Pretty much all the armor had a purpose, it's just all the glitching made them not as relevant.

Had just redboxed this game before and played a few days before taking it back. looking to finally pick it up now and pretty excited. My bitching and questions will probably be common place now. So any good sites for me to bookmark?

Canova

Banned
Had just redboxed this game before and played a few days before taking it back. looking to finally pick it up now and pretty excited. My bitching and questions will probably be common place now. So any good sites for me to bookmark?

Dark Souls wiki
http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

There were 3 of us when someone invaded. Invader came fully armored, but then he dropped his weapons and started swinging with his fists. Apparently he wanted a bare-handed fist fight. So all of us dropped our weapons and just started beating him up. We're all swinging like crazy. It took a while to take him down with his havel armored, but damn that's the best brawl I've ever had

Apdiddy

The only purpose I found for the shadow armor set is it has good to great poison resistance. Coupled that with the poison bite ring & rusted iron ring and you can walk through the blighttown swamps without getting poisoned as often.

However, it sucks ass for any possible defense of any kind for anything else.

Sullichin

Good sessions with GAF peeps tonight. Thanks for the help on centipede Soulhoulf, even if you had to sacrifice yourself because I couldn't heal you in time right after we got stomped :D I'll try to get on a little earlier tomorrow, it was 2 or 3am for everyone I played with tonight lol

Evolved1

Lol... people who spend their days invading the burg and ganking lowest lvl newbs... I mean whatever gets you off, but that's pretty cheeseball.

I made a new character earlier. Wanted to take another shot at a faith build. I'm lvl 2 and I get invaded twice by some dudes will all the late game gear. Of course all my attempts to summon assistance fail. Luckily I actually killed the second one. Baited him into rolling over a drop.

Anyway... pretty stoked. Everything I wanted to do in the first couple hours worked out and now I'm ready to plow through the bells and shoot for Anor Londo. Hopefully tonight. I want those miracles/ring. But sometimes blighttown can be a drag, so we'll see.

Sullichin

Lol... people who spend their days invading the burg and ganking lowest lvl newbs... I mean whatever gets you off, but that's pretty cheeseball.

I made a new character earlier. Wanted to take another shot at a faith build. I'm lvl 2 and I get invaded twice by some dudes will all the late game gear. Of course all my attempts to summon assistance fail. Luckily I actually killed the second one. Baited him into rolling over a drop.

Anyway... pretty stoked. Everything I wanted to do in the first couple hours worked out and now I'm ready to plow through the bells and shoot for Anor Londo. Hopefully tonight. I want those miracles/ring. But sometimes blighttown can be a drag, so we'll see.

Suggestion Re: faith build, if you have the STR for it: demon great machete +15 / sunlight blade (or DMB) really destroys. I was using the crescent axe before that, its damage isn't superb but it's pretty good, decent speed, cuts through most PVE enemies like butter.

Moreso than the undead burg invaders, I don't get people who spawn camp in the forest or kiln. What's the fun of having a fight be over as soon as it starts? It's not like they need the souls. But i've said it before.. people who are cheap in PVP in this game tend to suck at actually fighting. If you can get past their cheap tactics, you might find they're not much of a threat. The dude in full havels with the eagle shield who backstabbed you while you're bowing and then ran off into enemy mobs? Yeah, he probably sucks.

Daigoro

had a lot of fun today. went in with a good mind set, ready to conquer Blight. felt like made some really good progress after being a bit stuck. i checked out Sen's today before i had to sign off. it was really cool!

quick Q: how do i upgrade a standard weapon to +6 and beyond? does it take a certain blacksmith? i have my Battle Axe at +5, i have titanite shards, large shards and 2 chunks. but the blacksmith by Darkroot wont let me upgrade. am i just not ready to upgrade beyond +5 at the moment?

thats what i did and ive been playing for a bit over a week now. about 20 hrs in i think. its fun!

dont go back and read any of my last bunch of posts. lots of early game spoilers.

I put about 30m or so hours in the 2 days I had it so I am past early game spoiler territory. I think I've read most spoilers anyway so no worries this game is more about the gameplay experience for me.

krakov

quick Q: how do i upgrade a standard weapon to +6 and beyond? does it take a certain blacksmith? i have my Battle Axe at +5, i have titanite shards, large shards and 2 chunks. but the blacksmith by Darkroot wont let me upgrade. am i just not ready to upgrade beyond +5 at the moment?

You need a specific item found in the depths, you should definitively scout that place out before heading to Sens.

I'm gonna make a PvP character to fill the time I get bored with ME3. Haven't played in a while though...j/w if there is a general level range people started using for PvP?

Booshka

I'm gonna make a PvP character to fill the time I get bored with ME3. Haven't played in a while though...j/w if there is a general level range people started using for PvP?

If you want to try and invade as Darkwraith in a lot of areas try to stay under level 60, and around 50 if possible. If you want good dueling PvP, you can level to 90-130 and get good action. Most people are around 120 in the Kiln, Undead Burg, Dark Anor Londo, Duke's and Painted World. Forest is all over the place, sometimes you'll invade mostly 120's, and other times it's level 300+ guys.

I have a level 61 Darkwraith that I'm very happy with and I have about 130 indictments on him. Then a 118 Dex/Pyro darkwraith and a 131 Str/Faith darkmoon for high level pvp.

The 118 is actually in the sunbro covenant, I stay in there for summons, then invade with cracked orbs that I buy from Kaathe.

I still have this email:

Congratulations, great knight! You have proven yourself worthy by arranging the glyphs in the correct order.

For your perseverance, you are awarded this Key that will unlock a well-earned advantage during your journey toward reclaiming your soul. *numbers*

Keep this Key safe, as it may only be used once.

Take heed to not become overconfident, for even the mightiest warrior can be brought to his knees.
Onward to battle!

Dark Souls

What is it for and how do I claim it? I tried linking perparetodie.com to my Facebook account and nothing happens.

maomaoIYP

Do you want to invade or get invaded? If you want to get invaded just hang out in the forest, no level restrictions. You can do the same if you want to invade by joining the forest covenant.

I have 7 PvP characters
SL 180 high dex high fai - gonna keep leveling this one
SL 125 high str high fai
SL 125 high dex high int x 2
SL 80 high int x 2
SL 80 middle everything

The SL 80 characters get the most action, but also end up invading a lot of inexperienced players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom