• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Ok... I am getting so pissed at this game, lol.

I'm in the archives... at the lower firepit where BHL was trapped. I went back down there to get the firekeeper's soul and let him out of his cell, but he was gone. So now I want to go to the hidden area to find him and buy some good magic (I actually looked at the wiki for this bit, when BHL was missing I thought I'd encountered a bug) but I keep fucking dying.

The archives are just such bullshit for my character. I'm pure magic. And for this section, waaaaay over-leveled. I'm like SL 80. But I have no armor. The arrows from the generic archers kill me in one shot. But if I spec my rings to deal with physical I get killed by the mage assholes. Last night I finally got past the hardest part, but got stuck on a fucking chair while dashing toward the fire pit and one-shotted by an arrow... Aarrrrgghe!

I will probably get past on my next attempt, but goddamned if this isn't frustrating.

Pure magic characters are the hardest to play in this game. I have probably 6-7 different builds that I've put the same amount of time into, and they are all so much easier than this. (for example, I laughed at this part of the game w/ my DEX build and much lower SL)

Bring a shield? Pure magic characters are ridiculously powerful. I have two of them, a pure sorc and a sorc/pyro/miracle. I use them both for PvP.

Soulhouf

Ok on my SL12 character Seath is really hard. It's by far the hardest boss this far. I beat S&O and 4K finger in the nose, but this... along with Duke's Archives which is a pain in the ass level.

It's interesting to discover new aspects of the game by making new builds. Only Lost Izalith (I'll go the hard way, no shortcut) and Tomb of the Giants (I never found it difficult so it should be okay) remain.

Also I did something like 6 hours of farming in New Londo and ended up with 198 chunks, 3 slabs and 47 Dark hands.

Me and my brother have been taking turns playing the game through different builds and I'd just like to say that faith builds are overpowered but incredibly fun.

First of all: Does anyone know why the game has such a drastic increase in quality once you hit Sen's Fortress and afterwards?

I wasn't exactly enjoying the game up until Sen's Fortress, I felt like the game wanted to be Demon's Souls but fell flat in the level design department and when I hit Sen's Fortress I was blown away by how the level design had drastically increased to then be surprised by Anor Londo even more!

Overall, I've completely changed my view on the game. It's gone from a game which I felt needed more love to a game that I feel like holds up well to the original Demon's Souls. It's a shame that the first half of the game isn't as great as the second.

MrWisker

Some observations I have found while PVPing

PVP - why do people.....

1. Hit people when they are bowing? If I am a summons and the host goes and hits a phantom while they are bowing I always hold back and never participate. With the PVP quirks in this game it is up to us to put some honor in the fight.

2. Wear status buffs (ie. stamina buff etc. . .) while wearing the Ring of Fog? Do they not realize that they look like a green glowing blob walking around. Whole purpose of ring of fog is to be nearly invisible and sneaking in for a quick attack.

Apdiddy

Me and my brother have been taking turns playing the game through different builds and I'd just like to say that faith builds are overpowered but incredibly fun.

First of all: Does anyone know why the game has such a drastic increase in quality once you hit Sen's Fortress and afterwards?

I wasn't exactly enjoying the game up until Sen's Fortress, I felt like the game wanted to be Demon's Souls but fell flat in the level design department and when I hit Sen's Fortress I was blown away by how the level design had drastically increased to then be surprised by Anor Londo even more!

Overall, I've completely changed my view on the game. It's gone from a game which I felt needed more love to a game that I feel like holds up well to the original Demon's Souls. It's a shame that the first half of the game isn't as great as the second.

I actually have the opposite view -- the first half of the game holds very well but after Anor Lando and it's vast yet totally gorgeous nothingness, it didn't hold up as well.

Plus I'm convinced that Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was supposed to have more enemies as well. You get two boss battles one after the other and that's it?

Soulhouf

I actually have the opposite view -- the first half of the game holds very well but after Anor Lando and it's vast yet totally gorgeous nothingness, it didn't hold up as well.

Plus I'm convinced that Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith was supposed to have more enemies as well. You get two boss battles one after the other and that's it?

I too prefer the 2nd half of the game and the reason is Sen's Fortress, New Londo Ruins and Tomb of the Giants are my favorite areas. Anor Londo was okay but was too clean and shiny IMO. The first time you get there was quite impressive though.
Lost Izalith is cool, I like how developers were able to make you feel the hotness of that place and how it was devastated. Not very enjoyable as an area but it did its job very well.

The only place I don't like is Duke's Archives. I can't explain why but I didn't like the first part at all. Thank god Crystal Cave was there and was cool.

Oh and not to mention Painted World which completely eclipses all the 1st areas together.

Daigoro

wow Blight Town is giving me nightmares right about now.

how many mosquitoes do i have to fight coming out of the bonfire tunnel just to walk up these steps, like 16? its outrageous.

between the mosquitoes, the fire breathers, the poison swamp, and falling off of ledges to my death im done for the day. felt like it took forever just to find the bonfire and then it became twice as tough just to leave with all of the respawns.

i dont even know if im going the right way. i made it through the white door at the top of the series of ladders, but i fell to my almost death immediately.

need a breather. back to it tomorrow.

how many mosquitoes do i have to fight coming out of the bonfire tunnel just to walk up these steps, like 16? its outrageous.

between the mosquitoes, the fire breathers, the poison swamp, and falling off of ledges to my death im done for the day. felt like it took forever just to find the bonfire and then it became twice as tough just to leave with all of the respawns.

i dont even know if im going the right way. i made it through the white door at the top of the series of ladders, but i fell to my almost death immediately.

Mosquitoes respawn infinitely.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

The mosquitoes are annoying, but if you have soul arrow it works great since you can target them and zap them before they even get close and one zap kills each one. They usually come at you 2 at a time so just zap the two and keep moving.

Frank

how many mosquitoes do i have to fight

Answer would be 'all of them' :)

If you can wield a bow/crossbow then equip it, R3-target the mosquitos and R1-shoot at the bastards as they are closing in (no need to go into 'looking down the barrel'-mode for this).

You can hear them anyway, and when they get close enough turn, switch to bow, target and shoot. In time you'll get to BruceLee-levels of being succinct & concise about it. I think someone was recommending adding a Ring of the Evil Eye to this combo as a recipe to make up for the HP loss due to the poisonous swamp.

krakov

Ok on my SL12 character Seath is really hard. It's by far the hardest boss this far. I beat S&O and 4K finger in the nose, but this... along with Duke's Archives which is a pain in the ass level.

It's interesting to discover new aspects of the game by making new builds. Only Lost Izalith (I'll go the hard way, no shortcut) and Tomb of the Giants (I never found it difficult so it should be okay) remain.

Also I did something like 6 hours of farming in New Londo and ended up with 198 chunks, 3 slabs and 47 Dark hands.

Going for the tail?
In my experience he almost can't hit you if you just attack from the front and back away when he attacks. Just hit and run over and over, preferably with Great Combustion. His tail swipes are extremely powerful though and hard to block.

Duke's archives is probably the hardest area in the game in my opinion. The enemy placement and their damage is pretty rough. Lower undead burg can really suck as well if you go in with heavy weapons and weak armor. Used to have a lot of problems with Sens before I knew the layout.

Going for the tail?
In my experience he almost can't hit you if you just attack from the front and back away when he attacks. Just hit and run over and over, preferably with Great Combustion. His tail swipes are extremely powerful though and hard to block.

Duke's archives is probably the hardest area in the game in my opinion. The enemy placement and their damage is pretty rough. Lower undead burg can really suck as well if you go in with heavy weapons and weak armor. Used to have a lot of problems with Sens before I knew the layout.

I'd say that Tomb Of The Giants is the hardest, mostly because you can't see much and there are couple of places where you get ambushed by multiple enemies... and the fact that the giant skeleton dogs that appear further along the level can be frigging devastating. Not matter how prepared you are, they can still kill you with 3-4 hits.

Duke's is the near second, because the enemies are plentiful, fast, powerful and sometimes hard to see (At least in the bottom of the stairs).

Sen's Fortress is another place I find hard, because the leap in difficulty is rather large coming from Blightown, enviromental hazards are everywhere and the enemies can be annoying.

Yeah, Duke's was pretty crazy. Even the regular enemies hit really hard and the channeler's are super annoying if you don't have ranged attacks. That first room took me forever to get past and I remember the first time I cleared the area only to get eaten by a mimic. That's Dark Souls for you, it never quite lets you off the hook.

And those skeleton dogs in the Tomb are by far the scariest enemies in the game. They're the only ones I'd rather run past. The black phantom versions of those things must be a nightmare.

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, I think the archers of anor lando, and some of the stuff in Dukes Archives nearly made me want to stab myself in the foot. Everything else was a relative cake walk.

I experienced some odd glitching while playing co-op in the crystal caves...I was murdering the evil oysters and everything in one hit, but as soon as I got the boss fight I hit seath with my black knight great axe like 50 times....without taking any damage off. I switched weapons...no damage, magic, pyromancy, no damage I threw knives, bombs, dung pies....no damage after a while the host got killed and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Sullichin

I haven't beat the game with my SL15 character yet, but Dukes Archives really is a pain for low level characters.. you pretty much can't get hit. Demon Firesage was a pain too, easy with my other characters but with low stamina and health, pretty hard. I dread fighting bed of chaos with him, i'm sure that fire attack will one shot me. That being said I think Dukes and Bed of Chaos are the hardest parts of the game. When you know TOG, the whole area is not much of a threat, especially now that you can easily avoid skeleton dog aggros.

With that character, I spend most of my time helping people out with capra demon and being a huge asshole in Sen's Fortress invading. :D

Frank

I dread fighting bed of chaos with him, i'm sure that fire attack will one shot me.

Most likely, but if you gang up on Bed of Chaos with a friend, then it simplifies things a bit because each of you can go one of the sides and cut them out in more-or-less the same time, before Bed of Chaos becomes too active. And this leaves only the middle part to navigate and survive, which you can try on your own with less aggravating results.

I experienced some odd glitching while playing co-op in the crystal caves...I was murdering the evil oysters and everything in one hit, but as soon as I got the boss fight I hit seath with my black knight great axe like 50 times....without taking any damage off. I switched weapons...no damage, magic, pyromancy, no damage I threw knives, bombs, dung pies....no damage after a while the host got killed and I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Umm... are you sure that you cut that diamond thing that you are supposed to break before you can damage Seath? :p

Booshka

Yeah, I think the archers of anor lando, and some of the stuff in Dukes Archives nearly made me want to stab myself in the foot. Everything else was a relative cake walk.

That's not a glitch, Seath is invulnerable unless you destroy the crystal on the other side of the room.

Soulhouf

Going for the tail?

Yeah I always go for the tail.
At SL12 you'll be one shot if you're hit you go for the tail or not anyway.

Before I go further, I will go to undead burg and teach those BB glitchers griefing bastards a lesson now that I have everything I wanted.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got sidetracked with Skyrim back in November and since it's been so long, I am thinking about starting over when I return to this.

Have there been any major changes with the patches that I should be aware of? Also, what's a good site with lots of up-to-date information and tips, etc.?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
O..... M..... G

So I have this one character about 40+ hours... been spending some time trying to do everything right and get the build just right. I'm planning on using Havel's Ring so I can stay 50% and of fucking course I die as he dies and I lose the drop.

Arrrrrgh.

Now all the upgrading I did to the armor sets is basically useless. And I have to reconsider my entire approach.

Sullichin

O..... M..... G

So I have this one character about 40+ hours... been spending some time trying to do everything right and get the build just right. I'm planning on using Havel's Ring so I can stay 50% and of fucking course I die as he dies and I lose the drop.

Arrrrrgh.

Now all the upgrading I did to the armor sets is basically useless. And I have to reconsider my entire approach.

Are you on PS3? What level? I've definitely got some extra havel rings on some of my characters.

Sullichin

No they don't. You get about 4-5 pairs and then they stop spawning.

I'm right around lvl 30-31... dude I would be forever in your debt. haha

No problem. I just made a BB glitch character and brought him to 30, I'll use him for a moonlight greatsword build. let me know when you're on (i'm on now) and I'll lay a red soapstone somewhere.

Evolved1

No problem. I just made a BB glitch character and brought him to 30, I'll use him for a moonlight greatsword build. let me know when you're on (i'm on now) and I'll lay a red soapstone somewhere.

I'm on... but I don't have any idea how the co-op works lol. sorry.

edit: will take this to pm

After struggling with him for a while, I found a pretty easy way to kill Seath.

Bust out a dragon slayer great bow, and run from one end of the room (crystal) to the other (fog gate) shooting an arrow (or even two) at his face each time. You can kill him with 20 arrows or so without even getting hit.

Trying again with this - built a new character, thief, and got further than before - I unlocked a door with the master key, went down a spiral staircase and saw something silver with a big club said "what the fuck... is that?!" and ran in the opposite direction, through the fog straight into the Taurus Demon - before calling it a night!

My brother made this in Photoshop because he's been playing a lot of Dark Souls recently and has realized that pretty much everything that Knight Solaire says should be a meme. If anyone wants the original version with no text or just "Demon's" I'll be glad to give them it.
Demon%27s%202.png

Demon's Souls players will get the start of it. :p

Evolved1

Of course they do.

No... they really don't. They spawn, in pairs, from a few different places. But if you kill 4-5 waves of them, they stop spawning.

I just went through Blightown again earlier today. You can take a min or two and kill them, and then not have to worry about them anymore, unless you go to a different area where they spawn again. But you can kill those too.

They aren't that big of a deal anyway, but if they're really annoying for whatever reason, you can kill them. And they go away until you die or use the fire pit.

You can test this yourself at the lower fire pit in BT. They spawn right in front of the archway... just use a bow and kill 4-5 waves and they won't spawn any more from that spot.

Bring a shield? Pure magic characters are ridiculously powerful. I have two of them, a pure sorc and a sorc/pyro/miracle. I use them both for PvP.

I haven't had much trouble up until this point... but the archives were just designed to kick my ass. I mean, maybe you're some kind of pro or whatever... but they set that place up to hit you from all angles. The magic basically one shots me, so I have to spec for it, and the arrows do OHK me... so it's been tricky. And I have a shield, thanks. Doesn't help if you take an arrow in the back. I was just saying, in my experience, the mage has been the hardest character to get through the section. And I was basically through it, but got stuck on a chair and took an arrow to the back. Very frustrating.

Booshka

Invading in Duke's is fun. Got a message from a guy that I just killed that said, "your a fag." Whenever I get hate mail I just calmly respond, "if you need help just ask." Guy says he is next to the bonfire and ends up summoning me, lop off Seath's tail to get him the moonlight greatsword and then kill Seath for him, and now he is all thankful and happy.
Only Dark Souls.

Daigoro

thanks for the replies.

the one good thing about today (besides finding the bonfire in Blight) is that in my frustration i decided to attack the lounging golden knight guy i previously freed, who sits along the path from Firelink to Blight.

i figured he would kill me, but i got him first try and he dropped his ring for me.

Answer would be 'all of them' :)

If you can wield a bow/crossbow then equip it, R3-target the mosquitos and R1-shoot at the bastards as they are closing in (no need to go into 'looking down the barrel'-mode for this).

You can hear them anyway, and when they get close enough turn, switch to bow, target and shoot. In time you'll get to BruceLee-levels of being succinct & concise about it. I think someone was recommending adding a Ring of the Evil Eye to this combo as a recipe to make up for the HP loss due to the poisonous swamp.

yeah. problem being, im at the bonfire, all out of purple moss and crossbow bolts. i discovered pretty quickly that projectiles are the way to go, but that was 40 mosquitoes ago. there seems to be no way to travel the 10 feet i need to go to cross the swamp without getting poisined. not that i cant just heal myself repeatedly, but man it gets frustating getting poisoned every single time.

so back up i go to restock i suppose.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
yeah. problem being, im at the bonfire, all out of purple moss and crossbow bolts. i discovered pretty quickly that projectiles are the way to go, but that was 40 mosquitoes ago. there seems to be no way to travel the 10 feet i need to go to cross the swamp without getting poisined. not that i cant just heal myself repeatedly, but man it gets frustating getting poisoned every single time.

Have you opened the shortcut to the Valley of Drakes yet? If you haven't, exit the tunnel with the bonfire and bear right. Hug the cliff face on your right until you reach a big water wheel thing that isn't actually powered by water. Ride it up, climb several ladders until you reach the top, then open the chest on the landing for a key. The top platform with the chest connects to a tunnel with several of the club-wielding big guys in it that leads to the Valley of Drakes. Cross the narrow bridge just outside of the tunnel's exit and open the door in the tower on the other side. This will enable you to get to the entrance of New Londo directly from the Valley of Drakes, and from there to Firelink Shrine. You can stock up on moss from the crazy lady in the aqueduct connected to Firelink then be knee-deep in the Blighttown swamp again in under five minutes once the shortcut is open. Quite convenient.

On the ascent up from the swamp there's also a large branch protruding from one of the landings that leads you to a chest with the Remedy spell that can remove the Poison and Toxic status ailments. You need 16 Int to use it though, so it may or may not be useful to you.

Daigoro

Have you opened the shortcut to the Valley of Drakes yet? If you haven't, exit the tunnel with the bonfire and bear right. Hug the cliff face on your right until you reach a big water wheel thing that isn't actually powered by water. Ride it up, climb several ladders until you reach the top, then open the chest on the landing for a key. The top platform with the chest connects to a tunnel with several of the club-wielding big guys in it that leads to the Valley of Drakes. Cross the narrow bridge just outside of the tunnel's exit and open the door in the tower on the other side. This will enable you to get to the entrance of New Londo directly from the Valley of Drakes, and from there to Firelink Shrine. You can stock up on moss from the crazy lady in the aqueduct connected to Firelink then be knee-deep in the Blighttown swamp again in under five minutes once the shortcut is open. Quite convenient.

On the ascent up from the swamp there's also a large branch protruding from one of the landings that leads you to a chest with the Remedy spell that can remove the Poison and Toxic status ailments. You need 16 Int to use it though, so it may or may not be useful to you.

thanks. yup, thats the only entrance to Blight that ive found so far actually, so i already have the key and the spell. havent tried to use the spell yet though. i havent put a point into INT yet, so i probably cant use it yet anyways.

its isnt that long a journey, but ive take the path many many times now. so im ready to find something new. vee hee hee.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
thanks. yup, thats the only entrance to Blight that ive found so far actually, so i already have the key and the spell. havent tried to use the spell yet though. i havent put a point into INT yet, so i probably cant use it yet anyways.

its isnt that long a journey, but ive take the path many many times now. so im ready to find something new. vee hee hee.

You took the back entrance into Blighttown and you're still frustrated with it? Is that even allowed? It's like using your salad fork to tuck into a steak. Is it understandable? Yes. But it is frowned upon in some social circles nonetheless.

I assert that descending into Blighttown by way of the Depths is a mandatory rite of passage for all Dark Souls players. Like most rites of passage it is awkward, confusing, unpleasant, and something you will never, ever want to do again. But it is arbitrarily important to experience for no worthwhile reason.

Daigoro

You took the back entrance into Blighttown and you're still frustrated with it? Is that even allowed? It's like using your salad fork to tuck into a steak. Is it understandable? Yes. But it is frowned upon in some social circles nonetheless.

I assert that descending into Blighttown by way of the Depths is a mandatory rite of passage for all Dark Souls players. Like most rites of passage it is awkward, confusing, unpleasant, and something you will never, ever want to do again. But it is arbitrarily important to experience for no worthwhile reason.

i wouldnt even know where to look. this is the only entrance i know. and yup, still frustrated.

RZI

I finally beat those assholes Ornstein and Smough yesterday. I tried killing Ornstein first for like an hour and then I decided to switch tactics and take out Smough first. I succeeded in first try after that. I rarely get this tense anymore while playing video games.

hao chi

After struggling with him for a while, I found a pretty easy way to kill Seath.

Bust out a dragon slayer great bow, and run from one end of the room (crystal) to the other (fog gate) shooting an arrow (or even two) at his face each time. You can kill him with 20 arrows or so without even getting hit.

If I'm remembering right, hitting Seath a few times then running away worked pretty well for me. And I was usually able to survive his attacks if I got caught in them.

The Painted Guardian (or whatever it's called) outfit was great for that fight.

Soulhouf

No... they really don't. They spawn, in pairs, from a few different places. But if you kill 4-5 waves of them, they stop spawning.

I just went through Blightown again earlier today. You can take a min or two and kill them, and then not have to worry about them anymore, unless you go to a different area where they spawn again. But you can kill those too.

They aren't that big of a deal anyway, but if they're really annoying for whatever reason, you can kill them. And they go away until you die or use the fire pit.

You can test this yourself at the lower fire pit in BT. They spawn right in front of the archway... just use a bow and kill 4-5 waves and they won't spawn any more from that spot.

Perhaps they changed that since the last patch. The first time I went there I sit down and killed like 200 mosquitoes and they didn't seem to stop re-spawning. They stop when you get close but they re-spawn when you go away.

Dresden

what's your favorite shield?

which shield has the best magic protection?

the crystal ring shield has like 90 magic resist

but practically, I always use the Crest Shield for just about everything. 100 phys resist, 80 magic, decent stability, low weight.

Yeah, Crystal Ring Shields breaks from like 2 hits right? :p

I gotta upgrade my Crest Shield so I don't get dominated by the magic PVP guys.

krakov

i wouldnt even know where to look. this is the only entrance i know. and yup, still frustrated.

Have you been to Lower Undead Burg or The Depths? sounds like the Master key has led you to skip two areas already and I think you're trying to go the wrong way trough Blight town, which I would not recommend at all.

There is a door close to the long bridge with the Red Dragon, just above the first bonfire in Undead Burg. It's straight across from where you came out after beating the Taurus demon.

MrWisker

thanks for the replies.

the one good thing about today (besides finding the bonfire in Blight) is that in my frustration i decided to attack the lounging golden knight guy i previously freed, who sits along the path from Firelink to Blight.

i figured he would kill me, but i got him first try and he dropped his ring for me.

Learn to ignore the mosquitoes. Take them out only if you need to stay in one area for a bit and they are bothering you. Otherwise just keep moving and ignore them.

If you do not have any purple moss and you are in Blighttown swamp......not the best situation, especially if you are planning on spending a bit of time exploring the area.

My suggestion:
Summon some help at bonfire, hightail it to boss, watch the cutscene (wink wink)
ring the second bell.
. If you want to spend any amount of time in the area you really need the moss (and ring that helps you move fast in water). Either buy moss from vendor lady in sewers or head back to Darkroot garden and farm the trees.

Soulhouf

thanks for the replies.

Do you have some humanities? If so, enkindle the bonfire, summon somebody and rush to the boss.
Poison is not that bad. It doesn't drain your health really quickly, so with 10 estus, you can make it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom