• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Good sessions with GAF peeps tonight. Thanks for the help on centipede Soulhoulf, even if you had to sacrifice yourself because I couldn't heal you in time right after we got stomped :D I'll try to get on a little earlier tomorrow, it was 2 or 3am for everyone I played with tonight lol

Yup it was cool.
I died but it was my fault because I was dressed very light and relied on you too much to heal me. I could use a humanity to heal before a get stomped the second time :D
Anyway, you beat it and that's the most important.
Tonight I must help a friend against bed of chaos and Tomb of the Giants. You can join us if you wish and after that I can help you beat the remaining areas.

You guys all on PS3 mostly?

360 here.

I have been out of the loop for awhile how are you guys joining each others games?

you just drop your soul sign and it will or will not show up in the other player's world. worked fine between Soulhouf, Sullichin and i last night (you guys are beastly lol). other summon failed once but worked on the next try, so not too much of a hassle.

it's smart to coordinate it a bit though, have the person who you want to summon drop his sign in a non-crowded place, so no one else summons him first.

The Chef

Following a suggestion here on gaf ended up working out for my brother and I when trying to play together.

We started Dark Souls from the XMB at the exact same time, loaded out games at the exact same time too. It seems silly but its the only thing that ensures we end up on the same server. As long as we do this, then it works. Otherwise, we will never see eachothers summon sign.

The Chef

I want to start invading other peeps worlds but I fear I am not strong enough. Every time I've ever been invaded its from some towering giant of a man, with flaming armor and a sword the size of a tree.

I guess there is only one way to know for sure.

krakov

I want to start invading other peeps worlds but I fear I am not strong enough. Every time I've ever been invaded its from some towering giant of a man, with flaming armor and a sword the size of a tree.

I guess there is only one way to know for sure.

Well, consider that the invader is usually prepared to fight another player. That can be quite a big advantage.

Facism

got invaded earlier and monged a Great fireball tossing twat with a few 2 handed Devine +5 greatscythe hits. Didn't know what hit him, the curly minge.

Then there was another guy who took 3 great lightning spears up the arse trying to coax me into his homing soul mass.

Not really digging the faith build atm. Still prefer my Sorcerer/Pyro combo. Weapon scaling feels worthless so may settle on the black knight greataxe.

Booshka

got invaded earlier and monged a Great fireball tossing twat with a few 2 handed Devine +5 greatscythe hits. Didn't know what hit him, the curly minge.

Then there was another guy who took 3 great lightning spears up the arse trying to coax me into his homing soul mass.

Not really digging the faith build atm. Still prefer my Sorcerer/Pyro combo. Weapon scaling feels worthless so may settle on the black knight greataxe.

Just take a weapon to +15 then buff it with Sunlight or Darkmoon Blade.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Just got my platinum trophy!! My deepest thanks to the academy everyone helping me out in this thread, especially Sullichin who helped me to get my Knights Honor trophy yesterday!

Guevara

Weirdest glitch ever, basically Dark Souls spoiled itself for me

I'm in
Dark
Anor Londo at the Blacksmith using
Sif's Soul
to make the Great Shield. Not only do I get the option to make the Crystal Ring Shield (which I've already made and am holding in my inventory). But I get the option to use one of my swords and the
Soul of Gwyn
to make his sword (this is my first game, haven't beaten it yet, don't have the soul obviously, no other save files). I have all kinds of screwed up ascension options for boss souls I've already used. I'm a little worried my file's corrupted or something.

Booshka

I'm in
Dark
Sif's Soul
to make the Great Shield. Not only do I get the option to make the Crystal Ring Shield (which I've already made and am holding in my inventory). But I get the option to use one of my swords and the
Soul of Gwyn
to make his sword (this is my first game, haven't beaten it yet, don't have the soul obviously, no other save files). I have all kinds of screwed up ascension options for boss souls I've already used. I'm a little worried my file's corrupted or something.

You're fine, it will tell you what weapons you can make if you have the correct weapon at +10, even if you don't have the boss soul.

I'm in
Dark
Sif's Soul
Soul of Gwyn

Sounds like it if you can actually make them. However, like Boosh said, they still show up in the menu, just greyed out.

Although, now that you brought it up, it's kinda bullshit how rubbish
Gwyn's
sword is. You can't even put a pine resin on it to light it on fire? Come on.

Anyone else wish that there was a quickbutton for spoiler tags?

Booshka

Sounds like it.

Although, now that you brought it up, it's kinda bullshit how rubbish
Gwyn's
sword is. You can't even put a pine resin on it to light on fire? Come on.

Anyone else wish that there was a quickbutton for spoiler tags?

Gwyn's sword is surprisingly good, it looks terrible (like it's made of cardboard) but it has good damage at +5, long range and is very good for stunlock.

Booshka

I'm bummed out my newly enchanted Fire Axe isn't actually on fire.

Charcoal resins will actually give the fire effect you want. You have to keep the weapon at Normal reinforcement though. Sadly the temporary resins don't do much more damage, but they do look cool.

Demon Great Machete on Fire is just imposing.

Charcoal resins will actually give the fire effect you want. You have to keep the weapon at Normal reinforcement though. Sadly the temporary resins don't do much more damage, but they do look cool.

Demon Great Machete on Fire is just imposing.

I once had an invader with dual flaming zweihanders. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Flaming great scythe is another good one, if cliche.

Booshka

I've been putting Poison Resin on the Large Club when I invade and I can poison people in 1-2 hits. Poison doesn't do so much damage as it does to pressure players and make them play more defensive. It also looks pretty cool.

Sullichin

you just drop your soul sign and it will or will not show up in the other player's world. worked fine between Soulhouf, Sullichin and i last night (you guys are beastly lol). other summon failed once but worked on the next try, so not too much of a hassle.

it's smart to coordinate it a bit though, have the person who you want to summon drop his sign in a non-crowded place, so no one else summons him first.

yeah it was definitely less of a hassle than I thought it would be.

Yup it was cool.
I died but it was my fault because I was dressed very light and relied on you too much to heal me. I could use a humanity to heal before a get stomped the second time :D
Anyway, you beat it and that's the most important.
Tonight I must help a friend against bed of chaos and Tomb of the Giants. You can join us if you wish and after that I can help you beat the remaining areas.

Probably won't be playing tonight, but if I am and see you online I'll send a message.

Just got my platinum trophy!! My deepest thanks to the academy everyone helping me out in this thread, especially Sullichin who helped me to get my Knights Honor trophy yesterday!

No problem. Almost lost the moonlight great sword after I dropped it and got invaded the second time..

I was scared shitless the whole time that something like that could happen, lol.

it's part of the fun!

i remember in Demon's Souls i helped someone get the trophy for obtaining all the weapons, i had laid like 5-8 of some of the most rare weapons on the ground and waiting for him to pick them up (i think he was typing in our chatroom), when someone invades.. i'm like "oh craaaap!!" and start picking them back up again lol.

Sullichin

I was scared shitless the whole time that something like that could happen, lol.

It was kind of intense, it took a little while for me to see your sign and then i got invaded right after it started summoning you. Invader got me down to half of my health and I see your name / HP bar pop up. Frantically killed him and then that second invader just started attacking us right away, made a suicide run for the MLGS I dropped, barely made it.

it's part of the fun!

i remember in Demon's Souls i helped someone get the trophy for obtaining all the weapons, i had laid like 5-8 of some of the most rare weapons on the ground and waiting for him to pick them up (i think he was typing in our chatroom), when someone invades.. i'm like "oh craaaap!!" and start picking them back up again lol.

Yeah it is part of the fun. I invaded two people who were trading items once, I flipped into the middle of their shindig, stole some titanite chunks and humanity and dove off a ledge laughing my ass off. I would have felt like an asshole if it was something really valuable, and would have set it up to give it back to them for sure. But I could always use some humanity. I've only come across people trading items one other time and I just black crystaled out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Where's the starting knight armor?

I have the elite knight set... but I can't recall ever finding the reg set anywhere.

What do I need to do to make my life easier in this game? I've died at the Taurus Demon about 10 times now, and I'm getting the whole Demon's Soul feeling of getting to know every inch of the level (Undead's Burg obv) - which I love, but then I realise I've been playing the same tiny patch of castle for 2 hours and haven't progressed an inch in this game and getting so bummed out at the feeling of not having even a fighting chance if I can't even do what is essentially 1-1!

I enter the fog, climb the stairs, take out the archers, walk along the bridge, demon drops down - I throw a firebomb, then run back to the ladder - 50% of the time I'm hit on/off the ladder, so I have to heal at the top, and sometimes apply the lighting resin thing to my weapon. If I haven't had to heal, the demon hasn't jumped up so I jump off and do a stab attack down - 70% of the time it hits. I then run to the other end, heal if need, throw a firebomb if not, then try to run past him to the ladder and repeat (my stamina drains before I reach the ladder - so I often get hit trying to climb it).

Do I need to grind and level up a bit? (lvl16 Thief) - It's driving me insane playing this same patch of castle, and it feels like a waste of time and a huge grind. I never had this feeling with Demon's Souls, only at the very end in 5-2. :(

Is Thief even a decent class? I remember starting with a Thief in Demon's Souls and starting again later as a Knight because I felt like I hit a wall - I really don't think I have the patience to do that again, I need a decent character now before I get any further in this self-flagellating game!

Edit: post made in a state of total desperation/frustration!

Soulhouf

Where's the starting knight armor?

I have the elite knight set... but I can't recall ever finding the reg set anywhere.

It's where you fought the hydra.

Edit: beaten.

Yeah it is part of the fun. I invaded two people who were trading items once, I flipped into the middle of their shindig, stole some titanite chunks and humanity and dove off a ledge laughing my ass off. I would have felt like an asshole if it was something really valuable, and would have set it up to give it back to them for sure.
That is hilarious.

What do I need to do to make my life easier in this game? I've died at the Taurus Demon about 10 times now, and I'm getting the whole Demon's Soul feeling of getting to know every inch of the level (Undead's Burg obv) - which I love, but then I realise I've been playing the same tiny patch of castle for 2 hours and haven't progressed an inch in this game and getting so bummed out at the feeling of not having even a fighting chance if I can't even do what is essentially 1-1!

I enter the fog, climb the stairs, take out the archers, walk along the bridge, demon drops down - I throw a firebomb, then run back to the ladder - 50% of the time I'm hit on/off the ladder, so I have to heal at the top, and sometimes apply the lighting resin thing to my weapon. If I haven't had to heal, the demon hasn't jumped up so I jump off and do a stab attack down - 70% of the time it hits. I then run to the other end, heal if need, throw a firebomb if not, then try to run past him to the ladder and repeat (my stamina drains before I reach the ladder - so I often get hit trying to climb it).

Do I need to grind and level up a bit? (lvl16 Thief) - It's driving me insane playing this same patch of castle, and it feels like a waste of time and a huge grind. I never had this feeling with Demon's Souls, only at the very end in 5-2. :(

Is Thief even a decent class? I remember starting with a Thief in Demon's Souls and starting again later as a Knight because I felt like I hit a wall - I really don't think I have the patience to do that again, I need a decent character now before I get any further in this self-flagellating game!

The classes don't matter much. Pyromancy makes some things easier though.

Are you carrying less than 50% of your max load? Also don't run to the other end, just a bit past the demon and back up the stairs, then instantly jump down mashing R1. And repeat. You can even add gold pine resin to your weapon if you got it from the house via Master Key or the room key...

Don't throw a firebomb when he jumps down, just immediately run back to the ladder as soon as he drops & climb up & 2 hand your weapon & do the plunging attack.
If you applied the Gold resin, you would take approx. 70% of his health!
As for the strategy in fighting him, stay as close to him as possible, his attacks will not hit you or you could simply roll in between his legs to dodge his swings.

Also pace yourself & so you don't run out of stamnia going all out or else you won't have enough stamina to dodge or block his attacks.

sixghost

Just sold my friend on the awesomeness of this game. Anyone know of any good deals going on for this game anywhere?

It's like $18 used on Gamefly.com

You don't need to be a member or anything, free shipping too.

of course buying new would be great because FROM is great

OK thanks guys, it was just really flummoxing me. So don't run to other end, just straight back up the ladder and repeat the plunging attack.

Are you carrying less than 50% of your max load?
I didn't even think about what I was carrying, it's been a while since I played Demon's Soul so forgot about weight, I'm carrying tons of stuff because of how much useless loot I've picked up from random drops. Totally forgot you can't sell stuff, only just found the first merchant in Undead's Burg after playing it for hours!

sixghost

OK thanks guys, it was just really flummoxing me. So don't run to other end, just straight back up the ladder and repeat the plunging attack.

I didn't even think about what I was carrying, it's been a while since I played Demon's Soul so forgot about weight, I'm carrying tons of stuff because of how much useless loot I've picked up from random drops. Totally forgot you can't sell stuff, only just found the first merchant in Undead's Burg after playing it for hours!

There's no cumulative encumbrance, only encumbrance for your equipped weapons/armor.

Head+chest+arms+legs+weapon1&2+offhand 1&2=equip load

I assume you're talking about the Taurus demon, just do the plunging attack, then fight him head on for the rest of the damage. It's a really fun fight, and it's your first big lesson in dealing with larger enemies. Don't cheese the taurus demon, he's a cool guy.

Booshka

Well in Dark Souls there is Equip Load and then your Inventory, they are split up now. Look for the equip load stat, try to keep it to at least under 50%, and under 25% is even better, especially if you are playing a thief. Don't worry about what is in your inventory, only what is equipped onto your character matters.

sixghost

Is it true that there is another move speed faster than <25%? I thought I read somewhere that if you equipped absolutely 0.0 you moved faster than the <25% tier.

Booshka

Is it true that there is another move speed faster than <25%? I thought I read somewhere that if you equipped absolutely 0.0 you moved faster than the <25% tier.

I don't think so, I've read somewhere that someone thought they were faster with <25% and the Dark Wood Grain Ring, but I don't think it is. The main reason that you may think you are faster is because you aren't wearing any gear that slows your stamina regen.

Guevara

I equipped nothing but one weapon in my first Prowling Demon fight. Didn't seem to matter.

I assume you're talking about the Taurus demon, just do the plunging attack, then fight him head on for the rest of the damage. It's a really fun fight, and it's your first big lesson in dealing with larger enemies. Don't cheese the taurus demon, he's a cool guy.
He one-hit kills me if I fight head on - I'll go with the cheese option this time round!

It was kind of intense, it took a little while for me to see your sign and then i got invaded right after it started summoning you. Invader got me down to half of my health and I see your name / HP bar pop up. Frantically killed him and then that second invader just started attacking us right away, made a suicide run for the MLGS I dropped, barely made it.

Yeah it is part of the fun. I invaded two people who were trading items once, I flipped into the middle of their shindig, stole some titanite chunks and humanity and dove off a ledge laughing my ass off. I would have felt like an asshole if it was something really valuable, and would have set it up to give it back to them for sure. But I could always use some humanity. I've only come across people trading items one other time and I just black crystaled out.

I fell of the fucking chair laughing. Fucking hilarious. Lovely.

The Chef

First time I have ever been TRULY red-faced pissed off at this game. Wtf is up with being cursed?? I am on the opposite end of the planet and now I have to stop everything I am doing and backtrack for 5 hours to get healed somehow. This is such crap.

Edit...

Oh dear god what have I done?
I finally make it back to the woman undead merchant by Firelink Shrine. After finally purchasing a Purging Stone I am finally free of my curse.
My cel phone rings and I reach to answer it. In doing so I bump my controller and I attack the merchant who the proceeds to run for her life. At this point I immediately reach forward and shut off my ps3. Oh dear god please don't tell me it saved. But of course it did.
I can't buy anything from her now. She screams at me "DIE YOU SCUM!"

So that's fantastic. How screwed an I?

First time I have ever been TRULY red-faced pissed off at this game. Wtf is up with being cursed?? I am on the opposite end of the planet and now I have to stop everything I am doing and backtrack for 5 hours to get healed somehow. This is such crap.

Edit...

I finally make it back to the woman undead merchant by Firelink Shrine. After finally purchasing a Purging Stone I am finally free of my curse.
My cel phone rings and I reach to answer it. In doing so I bump my controller and I attack the merchant who the proceeds to run for her life. At this point I immediately reach forward and shut off my ps3. Oh dear god please don't tell me it saved. But of course it did.

Oswald (he is just on the tower where you ring the first bell) sells Purging S. for 3.000 souls.

sixghost

Edit...

rofl

someone pull up the quote from the FROM dev about getting cursed. I think it was something along the lines of, "and to those people who were cursed and had to venture all the way back to the bell tower to cure yourself, don't you now have a story to tell?"

I got triple cursed my first time through before the patch limited it to 1/2. What a nightmare that was.

Guevara

i made it to Anor Londo, but i havent yet beaten the Catacombs or New Londo Ruins. should i go back?

Sen's was craaaaazy.

I saved Catacombs and NLR for the very end, which was a mistake. It made those areas incredibly easy, to the point that each area took under an hour to complete.

What can I say, ghosts and skeletons are scary!

EDIT: but finish Anor Londo first
to make your progress much easier with the Lord Vessel. If you do decide to leave Anor Londo before completing it at least unlock the shortcut in Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom