• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kill ornstein first, his "super mode" is a fucking nightmare with that spear grab shit.

Kill Smough first, Ornstein's Armor looks boss (and has pretty good stats).

The key to fighting Super Ornstein, oddly enough, seems to be actually sticking right underneath him. It neutralizes a large amount of his moves, leaving only the lightning spear grab and the butt slam. He also takes a bunch of damage from Fire weapons and Pyromancy.

lunlunqq

So I went back to get some spells from logan, but he's gone. Where the hell did he go? (Duke's archives.)

Did you just opened his cage? If so, he's now in the little room right next to the room where fought a mimic and got the crystal ember. channeler armor set.

sixghost

Did you just opened his cage? If so, he's now in the little room right next to the room where fought a mimic and got the crystal ember. channeler armor set.

And if he's not there(if you already found him there, and bought all his spells), he will be in the room that you fought Seath in for the first time.

Anyone know if there is any difference between the target shield and parrying dagger in the window you have to parry? The target shield parry window seems huge.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Which weapon should I be using/spec'ing? I've just placed the Lordvessel. I've been using the Lighting Spear +2 for awhile now.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Which weapon should I be using/spec'ing? I've just placed the Lordvessel. I've been using the Lighting Spear +2 for awhile now.

You're free to choose man. Plenty of great weapons in this game. At this point all upgrading options are open to you, or very close to being open. Pick a weapon with an attack pattern that you feel comfortable with and stick with it.

For a STR build, I like to go for something with a base damage of over 100, make it your goal to upgrade to +15, +10 Fire or +5 Lightning.

Pretty much all of the Katana's are good (Uchigatana, Iiato, Washing Pole) if you're a Dex build. I don't use spears so I don't know much about how they scale, etc. Quelaags Furysword is great too.

Or get one of the Black Knight weapons which are all at least competent, if you've got the stats to wield them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Something I don't understand about parrying gwyn.

Sometimes it will look like it lands, but my shield gets thrown back, I lose a shit ton of stamina and I take damage. What's causing this?

Also, nearly had him just standing infront of him parrying him. Got too excited on the last parry and missed it and got owned.

And if he's not there(if you already found him there, and bought all his spells), he will be in the room that you fought Seath in for the first time.

Anyone know if there is any difference between the target shield and parrying dagger in the window you have to parry? The target shield parry window seems huge.

I didn't buy anything from him, he wouldn't sell anything since I had just released him and I havent been back till now.

sixghost

Failed parries count as blocks. He is overwhelming you.

There's 3 possibilities when you parry enemies, you parry their attack, you mess it up and they hit you, or you just mistime it, and you don't get the parry, but it only does like 60% damage I think. That 3rd thing also happens if you parry an attack that can't be parried.

shiroryu

How on earth does hidden body and fog ring stack??? do you freaking turn invisible?

No, but the no-aggro bonus stacks. Useless in PvP, but in PvE ( and I imagine playing a co-op phantom) you can stealth even better against the game enemies. Would love for somebody to try this combo against the Anor Londo archers and see what happens.

Booshka

Does anyone else just not even bother going for the Blue Titanite Slab? I have probably gone through this game nearly 20 times on all my characters and NG+'s, and have gone for it like 3 times. I just hate trying to get it, it's even harder now that I'm not online and don't have messages to help me. I can do it pretty easily if I really try, it just doesn't seem worth it, and I always dread even attempting to get it.

Dresden

Does anyone else just not even bother going for the Blue Titanite Slab? I have probably gone through this game nearly 20 times on all my characters and NG+'s, and have gone for it like 3 times. I just hate trying to get it, it's even harder now that I'm not online and don't have messages to help me. I can do it pretty easily if I really try, it just doesn't seem worth it, and I always dread even attempting to get it.

I just buy like 99 prism stones before going there.

If I'm on like a ng+ and I don't use enchanted/magic weapons though, fuck it.

Booshka

I just buy like 99 prism stones before going there.

If I'm on like a ng+ and I don't use enchanted/magic weapons though, fuck it.

I always drop down to kill the Crystal Lizards, then I see the Slab over there and go, "Ehhhh, no thanks" and just turn around.

Numpt3

I reached this point for the first time last night. God damn that took some patience.

mxgt

Banned
Dragon Tooth is so slow but extremely fun to use.

Especially the 2handed heavy attack and the backstab animation

Footos22

Annnnnd I am done!

Killed Gwyn, rang the 2 bells, killed sif and got to the giant blacksmith in less then an hour and a half on ng++ overpowered isnt the word.
Gargoyles literally died in 3 hits each with a divine zweihander +10 with 50 faith.

Platinum Achieved.

Now to hit my backlog.

mxgt

Banned
I think I'm a bit overlevelled right now

Went into the Four Kings fight with the idea to basically brute force it to see what the fight is about.

Beat them first try, Dragon Tooth+5 just smashed all of them in a few hits

I use arrows to see the path (never thought about using prism stones)

If I'm not gonna make a magic weapon, then I skip it.

Ill Saint

If I join the forest covenant will the guys in the area where the mage is still attack me if I want to farm there?

You will not be able to farm there anymore if you join the covenant, as they will not be aggressive to you. If you attack them, the covenant will break, but you can resume farming.

J-Roderton

You will not be able to farm there anymore if you join the covenant, as they will not be aggressive to you. If you attack them, the covenant will break, but you can resume farming.

Dang. Well, one advantage of the covenant is playing pvp while hallow correct? I'm only joining so I can see what pvp is like. Don't exactly know much about it. I guess I could just use one of those cracked red orb things.

Ill Saint

Dang. Well, one advantage of the covenant is playing pvp while hallow correct? I'm only joining so I can see what pvp is like. Don't exactly know much about it. I guess I could just use one of those cracked red orb things.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun as long as you don't take the PvP there super seriously. I've had a lot of good times with that covenant.

Ill Saint

After checking out the Wiki, apparently I get a Fog Ring after ranking up in the covenant? How useful is that in PvE?

It makes you less visible to enemies, reducing their aggression radius. It can be useful if you're running a mad gauntlet for some reason.

mxgt

Banned
Stumbled across Seath, died horribly and it respawned me at a bonfire I hadn't lit yet in a huge open area. this shit is madness

mxgt

Banned
Any tips to avoid getting backstabbed in PvP? it's frustrating when the person isn't even close to being behind me on my screen. I have no idea how to defend it if I don't know they're actually behind me

Grinchy

Banned
Any tips to avoid getting backstabbed in PvP? it's frustrating when the person isn't even close to being behind me on my screen. I have no idea how to defend it if I don't know they're actually behind me

This is why I don't do PvP. The netcode is fucking awful. It was rare enough in DeS to get a non-laggy PvP match. The few PvP fights I had in DkS were laggy like this.

MMaRsu

Nobody is summoning me in the depths.. lvl 72.. and where to go after ive beaten 4kings and demon ruins? Ive been thinking tomb of giants, ash lake or lost izealith..but i dont know how to get to those last two areas...

Numpt3

Nobody is summoning me in the depths.. lvl 72.. and where to go after ive beaten 4kings and demon ruins? Ive been thinking tomb of giants, ash lake or lost izealith..but i dont know how to get to those last two areas...

I haven't been to lost izealith yet but you get to ash lake by going down through the great hollow. (The big tree at the bottom of blight town)

Septimius

Lost Izealith is past the Centipede Demon's layer. (the entrance is bit hard to spot)

Ash Lake is optional, and you reach it
in the swamp of Blighttown, go to where the leaches are (left from the place you come from if you've entered from the depths), and walk up to a big hollow tree that you'll find pretty soon. There's a hidden wall in here. Here's the fantastic part. There's a hidden wall behind it, too. That leads to The Great Hallow, which leads to Ash Lake.

I've thrown all courtesy out the window with Vengeance spirits. Bastards don't give me anything if I kill them, so I find them to just be a minor inconvenience, kill them, and wait for a darkwraith to invade.

MMaRsu

Lost Izealith is past the Centipede Demon's layer. (the entrance is bit hard to spot)

Ash Lake is optional, and you reach it
in the swamp of Blighttown, go to where the leaches are (left from the place you come from if you've entered from the depths), and walk up to a big hollow tree that you'll find pretty soon. There's a hidden wall in here. Here's the fantastic part. There's a hidden wall behind it, too. That leads to The Great Hallow, which leads to Ash Lake.

I've thrown all courtesy out the window with Vengeance spirits. Bastards don't give me anything if I kill them, so I find them to just be a minor inconvenience, kill them, and wait for a darkwraith to invade.
Hmm are you kidding me? I was at the centipede demons lair after i killed it being sure there should have been something there..lol thx mate

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How the fuck do you avoid that snare spell and that explosion spell in PVP? I'm sure those are the two spells people keep bitching about, and now I see why.

sixghost

How the fuck do you avoid that snare spell and that explosion spell in PVP? I'm sure those are the two spells people keep bitching about, and now I see why.

Wrath of the Gods and Tranquil Walk of Peace?

The former is the AoE explosion spell. It's just regular magic damage, so deal with it the same way you dealt with the Stray/Firesage Demon's magic AoE attack. Either get a shield with better magic defense and block, or fight at a range that allows you do roll out of range. It only has 3 uses per slot, so unless someone has played through the game like 5 times to get 5 copies of the spell, they'll run out pretty quickly.

The latter, I really don't know. They nerfed it, but even still, it seems like if you are a specific type of character, it's a death sentence. Maybe the Rusted Iron Ring counters the spells effects? Can't help you with that one.

The latter, I really don't know. They nerfed it, but even still, it seems like if you are a specific type of character, it's a death sentence. Maybe the Rusted Iron Ring counters the spells effects? Can't help you with that one.

Unfortunately, Rusted Iron Ring doesn't counter it.

Finally made it out of the Depths and got back to the Bell Tower (after dying about 10 times and having to refarm souls to pay for the Purging Stone). With the curse lifted, I took down the
Gaping Dragon
with ease and back on the road to Blighttown. Right now I'm farming moss clumps and souls from the Ents before I go back down there.

Uh, so I just talked to Siegmeyer of Catarina in Lost Izalith, and he just went on his whole warrior speel, but never actually jumped down to fight the Octopus. Was this supposed to happen? Should I just jump down and finish them? I want to make sure I can get the item at the end of his "quest" line.

I think I'll give him a nice little kick, haha.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just picked up the Large Club last night.

Why is this weapon so amazing? I love it.

MrWisker

You do not have to be hallowed to be summoned. You just have to be wearing the cat ring.

MrWisker

Yeah some fights are like that and there is really nothing you can do. For me though, the majority of PVP is not laggy.

shiroryu

It's good PvP practice for free, yeah, and pretty early in the game. Also you don't have to waste Cracked Red Eye orbs, nor be human and risk being invaded yourself. Plus the game can summon two forest invaders to a fight, so you may have help.

The flip side is that some people wait there in human form with phantoms in tow to kill forest invaders specifically, so it's not going to be always easy. Especially if you're on the lower SL levels; you could be invading an SL125 guy with two phantoms lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom