• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Can someone tell me the point of the princess covenant? Also, if I beat the game by not lighting the bonfire (woops) is that bad if I was in that covenant?

Can anyone list the covenants and what they give/do?

Thanks!

Yo Gotti

Banned
Skyrim's definitely an awesome game, and seeing as how Dark Souls didn't have a chance at the GOTY awards I think it's probably the 2nd best game I've played this year.

Nothing compares to the satisfaction that Dark Souls gives you though, it's hands down the best gaming experience I've had since I first played Halo in 2001, or Doom 2 before that. I have to put it up against the best and most challenging FPS games I've played because no other RPG comes close.

I think a lot of people who play this game and don't like it just can't stand the fact that this game beats you, the player. This game is better than you, it always will be and it makes your imperfections your own worst enemy. Some people just can't stand that level of challenge and it's a shame.

Septimius

Can someone tell me the point of the princess covenant? Also, if I beat the game by not lighting the bonfire (woops) is that bad if I was in that covenant?

Thanks!

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covenants

Great site for anything Dark Souls related.

What is up with standing right if front of something, and the lock-on not working?

Either you're in some strange situation where the lock-on isn't supposed to work, or maybe your R3 is getting sloppy?

sixghost

Yeah, I figured that would be the case.

What are the chances for DLC for this game or a sequel. Did it sell well? (Yeah I know about demon souls).

Also, is the red dragon on the bridge unkillable?

I've gotten him down to half 3 times and he just flies back and regens.

The DLC question was already answered,

I think a sequel is almost guaranteed. Dark Souls seemed to have sold very well for this type of game, and I think it got up to 1,000,000 sold world wide. There was even talk around here of FROM trademarking something called Dark Forest, which seems like a possible title for a follow up. I can't imagine Demon's Souls sold nearly as well as Dark Souls, and we got a sequel, so things look good.

As or the Dragon, it's the hardest enemy in the game, bar none. None of my builds have been able to kill him, but I got pretty close once with a 40/40 end/vit faith character by standing in a spot where his main fire attack missed me. But eventually he just freaks out and starts endlessly spamming a fire attack from the sky that hits everything.

I'm sure if you made a build entirely devoted to killing him you could eventually do it, or if you just overleveled like crazy, you could do it, but he's basically unkillable for 99% of players. Which is kind of awesome.

Thanks!

Princess Guard covenant does the following:

- Makes it easier for you to see summon signs from Way of White/Warrior of Sunlight/Princess Guard members

- Allows you to use Soothing/Bountiful Sunlight miracles

It's like Warrior of Sunlight but more focused on healing/support than offense.

As or the Dragon, it's the hardest enemy in the game, bar none. None of my builds have been able to kill him, but I got pretty close once with a 40/40 end/vit faith character by standing in a spot where his main fire attack missed me. But eventually he just freaks out and starts endlessly spamming a fire attack from the sky that hits everything.

I'm sure if you made a build entirely devoted to killing him you could eventually do it, or if you just overleveled like crazy, you could do it, but he's basically unkillable for 99% of players. Which is kind of awesome.

Dragonslayer bow worked well for me. Pop in and out round about where you first meet Solaire. When he turns to walk away, pop out and give him the spectacular. Once you walk back down the steps, he will walk back to his perch. Don't let him, because he will recharge his HP. Just keep him turning around and you'll get the timing down.

mxgt

Banned
Honestly, the transition from Dark Souls to Skyrim is about as bad as it gets. The combat in Skyrim just feels like it was designed for babies in comparison.

I went from Skyrim to Dark Souls and the combat in DS is so much better it's not even funny.

I don't know if I can even go back to Skyrim now

Tomodachi

I went from Skyrim to Dark Souls and the combat in DS is so much better it's not even funny.

I don't know if I can even go back to Skyrim now
I stopped playing Skyrim, I will try playing again next year. I'm still too addicted to DS to enjoy it, it seems so boring with its stupid fetch quest, quick travel, total lack of actual character development (role playing wise), one-click combat, almost random generated dungeons, locations looking alike a lot. No thanks, that is definitely not my idea of goty. Then again, I'm sure I will enjoy it, just not now.

Septimius

I stopped playing Skyrim, I will try playing again next year. I'm still too addicted to DS to enjoy it, it seems so boring with its stupid fetch quest, quick travel, total lack of actual character development (role playing wise), one-click combat, almost random generated dungeons, locations looking alike a lot. No thanks, that is definitely not my idea of goty. Then again, I'm sure I will enjoy it, just not now.

Thank you for putting exactly how I feel about Skyrim into words. Now I can continue playing DS contently!

Footos22

The DLC question was already answered,

I think a sequel is almost guaranteed. Dark Souls seemed to have sold very well for this type of game, and I think it got up to 1,000,000 sold world wide. There was even talk around here of FROM trademarking something called Dark Forest, which seems like a possible title for a follow up. I can't imagine Demon's Souls sold nearly as well as Dark Souls, and we got a sequel, so things look good.

Hes quite weak if you hack at him on the bridge. he doesnt have that much hp to be honest.

if you arrow his wing from the top of the stairs till he gets to about a quarter of his hp get him to land then just quickly 2 hand him he will rpob jump back up to his perch. But one more arrow will finish him off.

edbrat

Honestly, Im worried that Im just not good at DS. I mean, the game world and atmosphere has definately clicked with me, more so than Demons Souls did, but the timing of button presses and controls is something to get used to.

once you learn stamina management and get a few bits of gear, you will be beasting your way through. The initial hump (esp for non DeS players) is by far the toughest.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of people who play this game and don't like it just can't stand the fact that this game beats you, the player. This game is better than you, it always will be and it makes your imperfections your own worst enemy. Some people just can't stand that level of challenge and it's a shame.
Real Talk.

krakov

Made an interesting discovery today in the early game, it deals with Lautrec and his actions.

I wanted to get the whip asap so I went down to Blighttown and got that, also the Firekeeper soul. Went trough Havel towards the Parish and got the Firekeeper soul in the church. Immediately went to Firelink to reinforce the flask and the Firekeeper is already dead without me even seeing Lautrec thus far. Haven't killed a single boss. So I guess that pretty much confirms what triggers the event. Haven't tried picking up the New Londo Ruins Firekeeper soul early but two of them may be enough to screw yourself out of Firelink bonfire and early Ring of FoP goodness. I was planning on never ringing any bells with this char so I guess I'm kinda boned.

Tomodachi

I wanted to get the whip asap so I went down to Blighttown and got that, also the Firekeeper soul. Went trough Havel towards the Parish and got the Firekeeper soul in the church. Immediately went to Firelink to reinforce the flask and the Firekeeper is already dead without me even seeing Lautrec thus far. Haven't killed a single boss. So I guess that pretty much confirms what triggers the event. Haven't tried picking up the New Londo Ruins Firekeeper soul early but two of them may be enough to screw yourself out of Firelink bonfire and early Ring of FoP goodness. I was planning on never ringing any bells with this char so I guess I'm kinda boned.
I think the trigger is simply entering blighttown: I went directly to quelaag skipping depths altogether in my ng++ (also skipped the bit in blighttown where you get the firekeeper soul with the blowguns and all; I also didn't bother taking the firekeeper soul at the altar in parish btw). anastiacia was still dead as I went back to firelink

krakov

I think the trigger is simply entering blighttown: I went directly to quelaag skipping depths altogether in my ng++ (also skipped the bit in blighttown where you get the firekeeper soul with the blowguns and all; I also didn't bother taking the firekeeper soul at the altar in parish btw). anastiacia was still dead as I went back to firelink

Must be a bit more involved since I've entered Blighttown first quite a few times without the event triggering. Hmm, maybe I'll do some further testing.

Don't worry about it, it's easy to get rid off and quite hard to actually get unless you're trying for it.

Thank you.

Also, how do I leave a covenant? I want to join the Chaos one next, but I am a member of the first one still. Is there an easy way to leave without pissing them off?

lunlunqq

Thank you, thank you. *sigh* I just dont think im cut out for this game.

In regards to the black horned knight, am I supposed to avoid them?

From the look of it, you haven't unlocked the "easy mode" of the game yet:
the Drake Sword.
Since you already reached the lower part of the bridge, it is time for you to do this:

- go to the merchant and buy a short bow and a few dozens of arrow (over 100 just to be safe). You may need to level up your dex to use it.
- go under the bridge, use first-person aim mode to shoot that dragon's tail. Be patient, it may take a short while.
- Once the tail comes off, you get the Drake Sword. You may need to level up your str a bit (it requires 16) to use it properly...
- profit.

Sullichin

Thank you.

Also, how do I leave a covenant? I want to join the Chaos one next, but I am a member of the first one still. Is there an easy way to leave without pissing them off?

When you join another one, it says it abandons your former covenant. Then you just need to go back to your former covenant and re-join that one when you want. I believe there's a rank penalty though. For example, the chaos covenant opens up a really useful shortcut when you give 30 humanity. I think leaving and rejoining the covenant would reset that humanity count, but I'm not sure.

Did they fix the easy way to beat Ceasless Discharge after the patch? I couldn't get him to fall and I had to beat him the normal way, actually died several times.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
From the look of it, you haven't unlocked the "easy mode" of the game yet:
the Drake Sword.
Since you already reached the lower part of the bridge, it is time for you to do this:

- go to the merchant and buy a short bow and a few dozens of arrow (over 100 just to be safe). You may need to level up your dex to use it.
- go under the bridge, use first-person aim mode to shoot that dragon's tail. Be patient, it may take a short while.
- Once the tail comes off, you get the Drake Sword. You may need to level up your str a bit (it requires 16) to use it properly...
- profit.

I would recommend he NOT do that if he's learning. I played the entire first playthough without it, and didn't have a "good" weapon until I got the lightning spear, then the silver knight straight sword.

When you join another one, it says it abandons your former covenant. Then you just need to go back to your former covenant and re-join that one when you want. I believe there's a rank penalty though. For example, the chaos covenant opens up a really useful shortcut when you give 30 humanity. I think leaving and rejoining the covenant would reset that humanity count, but I'm not sure.

Did they fix the easy way to beat Ceasless Discharge after the patch? I couldn't get him to fall and I had to beat him the normal way, actually died several times.

Yeah, you can't do it that way anymore, you have to hide behind the hill near where he spawns and bait him to swing at you.

Saya

Had a great Dark Souls playing session tonight. Gained a few levels, found a slab while killing some Darkwraiths and killed Ceaseless Discharge, Demon Firesage and the Centipede Demon on my first try in NG+.

When equipping the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring and the Symbol of Avarice you get over 5k souls per Darkwraith kill in NG+. One run can get you over 60k souls. Not bad considering you also get chunks and the occasional slabs.

Is there any medium armor better than upgraded Elite Knight set? Even though I have all the other armors, I keep coming back to this set.

MrWisker

You pretty much nailed it on how I feel about Skyrim as well. I have not touched it for more then a week and most of my thoughts have been on building a new character for PVP in Dark Souls. Dark Souls is like a new drug........

tc farks

I've looked at the chart and have been playing for a long time and I still am unsure about weapon upgrades.

I wanted to make a divine weapon for the Catacombs. I decided to go with the Claymore. I think I already messed up since I upgraded it to a +9 until I ran out of large titanite shards. But I never saw the option to ascend it using the divine ember you get after beating the Moonlight Butterfly. I was supposed to see this after +5 correct? What did I miss? The Blacksmith in the Undead Church took the ember so I know I can do it there.

Also, I saw that you can buy shards from the Giant Blacksmith. But I went back to him in Anor Lando and didn't see any type of shards. Just a set of armor and a weapon I believe. What gives?

I'd love to start upgrading some weapons and maybe a boss soul one, but without the ability to purchase these shards I'll never get there.

Sullichin

You pretty much nailed it on how I feel about Skyrim as well. I have not touched it for more then a week and most of my thoughts have been on building a new character for PVP in Dark Souls. Dark Souls is like a new drug........

yeah, I was looking forward to Skyrim but as it turns out I'd always rather play Dark Souls. Even Batman: AC and Uncharted 3, both of which I loved, seemed like distractions from the main show. Now I'm sitting on a half-beaten Resistance 3, half-beaten RAGE, half-beaten Rayman Origins, unopened Killzone 3, unplayed MGSHD collection, and Skyrim which I'm like 20 or so hours into. Dark Souls really makes the generic Fps-ness of Resistance and the abysmal combat of Skyrim stick out.

Mostly when I play Dark Souls now it's to help people co-op, while chipping away at my own progress (tends to slow down once I get to Anor Londo). Or I'll see a weapon or something on here or the Wiki that I decide I need to get, and I'll work on that.. and since I missed the moonlight sword, I already have an excuse to do NG+ for that character. In terms of trophies, I'm missing knights honor (or whatever the rare weapons is), all sorcieries, all miracles, and tons of the weapon upgrade ones...I really haven't been focused on them, but every so often I'll get one of those out of the way. Game keeps giving me reasons to come back.

Nope, I killed Ceaseless Discharge using the easy method last night.

Weird, I tried about 5 times to do it this way last night and just got rocked. Maybe he wasn't in the right spot. First time I beat him I didn't know about this trick, and thought he was difficult because he has this one double slam attack that, if you're hit by the first one, you're dead without a chance to recover. Got rocked by this attack again on this playthrough until I figured out exactly when the hell to roll.. it's really hard to not get smashed by this attack or the fire breath! Without the easy way this boss is no joke. I really like Demons Ruins though, really cool area.

So, I beat Seath, but never got all of Logan's spells. I'm going to be mad as hell if Logan isn't in the library anymore, I need to buy crystal magic weapon :|

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yeah, I was looking forward to Skyrim but as it turns out I'd always rather play Dark Souls. Even Batman: AC and Uncharted 3, both of which I loved, seemed like distractions from the main show. Now I'm sitting on a half-beaten Resistance 3, half-beaten RAGE, half-beaten Rayman Origins, unopened Killzone 3, unplayed MGSHD collection, and Skyrim which I'm like 20 or so hours into. Dark Souls really makes the generic Fps-ness of Resistance and the abysmal combat of Skyrim stick out.

Mostly when I play Dark Souls now it's to help people co-op, while chipping away at my own progress (tends to slow down once I get to Anor Londo). Or I'll see a weapon or something on here or the Wiki that I decide I need to get, and I'll work on that.. and since I missed the moonlight sword, I already have an excuse to do NG+ for that character. In terms of trophies, I'm missing knights honor (or whatever the rare weapons is), all sorcieries, all miracles, and tons of the weapon upgrade ones...I really haven't been focused on them, but every so often I'll get one of those out of the way. Game keeps giving me reasons to come back.

Weird, I tried about 5 times to do it this way last night and just got rocked. Maybe he wasn't in the right spot. First time I beat him I didn't know about this trick, and thought he was difficult because he has this one double slam attack that, if you're hit by the first one, you're dead without a chance to recover. Got rocked by this attack again on this playthrough until I figured out exactly when the hell to roll.. it's really hard to not get smashed by this attack or the fire breath! Without the easy way this boss is no joke. I really like Demons Ruins though, really cool area.

So, I beat Seath, but never got all of Logan's spells. I'm going to be mad as hell if Logan isn't in the library anymore, I need to buy crystal magic weapon :|

There are two easy ways, one I'm pretty sure does not work. The first was to lure him to the fog door and make him fall into the pit and die. The second is to hide behind a hill near where he's spawned and make him swing into the little path and hit his hand there.

Sullichin

I just realized that there's a guy in Sen's that sells shards tho. I am 0/2 at that jump tho haha.

The slimes in the depths drop large shards and green titanite I believe. The drop rate isn't great, but the bonfire in the depths is one of my favorite farming spots: titanite from the slimes, humanity from the rats, all while waiting to be summoned for gaping dragon which gives a shit ton of souls.

Also, making a weapon divine/magic/whatever is in a different menu than normal upgrading. I think it's modify equipment or something

tc farks

The slimes in the depths drop large shards and green titanite I believe. The drop rate isn't great, but the bonfire in the depths is one of my favorite farming spots: titanite from the slimes, humanity from the rats, all while waiting to be summoned for gaping dragon which gives a shit ton of souls.

Also, making a weapon divine/magic/whatever is in a different menu than normal upgrading. I think it's modify equipment or something

Yeah I realize that. Except when I went to modify it just took it to +6. I don't want the normal weapon upgrade path but it's the only one I've done.

lunlunqq

I've looked at the chart and have been playing for a long time and I still am unsure about weapon upgrades.

I wanted to make a divine weapon for the Catacombs. I decided to go with the Claymore. I think I already messed up since I upgraded it to a +9 until I ran out of large titanite shards. But I never saw the option to ascend it using the divine ember you get after beating the Moonlight Butterfly. I was supposed to see this after +5 correct? What did I miss? The Blacksmith in the Undead Church took the ember so I know I can do it there.

Also, I saw that you can buy shards from the Giant Blacksmith. But I went back to him in Anor Lando and didn't see any type of shards. Just a set of armor and a weapon I believe. What gives?

I'd love to start upgrading some weapons and maybe a boss soul one, but without the ability to purchase these shards I'll never get there.

well, it's a waste of large shards to ascend it now to divine. if you have given the divine emer to the smith, ascending weapons is the first option in the conversation menu, you have to push left or right to choose which "path" you want to ascend you weapons with. divine is like the 3 third option.

edbrat

aggro him, wait until you see an arm type thing protruding from his chest THEN leg it to the fog door, then he will follow you and use the chest arm to grab onto the rock, which you can then pummel for the cheese win.

MrWisker

I just realized that there's a guy in Sen's that sells shards tho. I am 0/2 at that jump tho haha.

He used to be the only merchant to sell large titanite shards. Though he is the first one you do see in the game and nice way to get your weapons up to +10 before hitting Ando Londo.

lunlunqq

regarding large shards, don't waste your money on that rip-off in sen's fort. get the golden serpent ring and get down to the swamp in to farm those slugs. they drop large shards quite frequently. they also drop green shards, 5 pieces at one time.

tc farks

well, it's a waste of large shards to ascend it now to divine. if you have given the divine emer to the smith, ascending weapons is the first option in the conversation menu, you have to push left or right to choose which "path" you want to ascend you weapons with. divine is like the 3 third option.

This would explain things because I have no idea what you're talking about and have obviously never moved it off of normal.

I'd like to create a boss soul weapon for the hell of it. But the only special weapon I needed to upgrade was the divine one for the catacombs. Other then that I can just rock the lightning spear or moonlight greatsword.

Thanks for the reply I will look into that as soon as I get home. I can find another weapon to upgrade to +5 and then divine though but the Claymore seemed like a perfect option for it. So I don't think I should worry about large shards, maybe downgrade it to raw and then choose divine? Gotta look and see what I have later.

ETA...Let me know if this is right. Change the upgrade path right away somehow (never seen this option) to divine. Then upgrade it to +5 using normal titanite shards. Then ascend to divine with the ember. Then upgrade to +5 using green titanite shards.

lunlunqq

This would explain things because I have no idea what you're talking about and have obviously never moved it off of normal.

I'd like to create a boss soul weapon for the hell of it. But the only special weapon I needed to upgrade was the divine one for the catacombs. Other then that I can just rock the lightning spear or moonlight greatsword.

Thanks for the reply I will look into that as soon as I get home. I can find another weapon to upgrade to +5 and then divine though but the Claymore seemed like a perfect option for it. So I don't think I should worry about large shards, maybe downgrade it to raw and then choose divine? Gotta look and see what I have later.

ETA...Let me know if this is right. Change the upgrade path right away somehow (never seen this option) to divine. Then upgrade it to +5 using normal titanite shards. Then ascend to divine with the ember. Then upgrade to +5 using green titanite shards.

"raw" is not normal weapon... it's actually another special path that you can upgrade your weapons in. just upgrade the claymore to +10 and save it until you reach the smith in anor londo, where you can upgrade it to lighting. it's gonna rule.

as for the catacombs. upgrade a strike-type (hammer, club, etc.) to +5 then divine. skeletons are weak against striking.

Ha ha , I just realised you can upgrade your armour too! Elite Knight kit +2, ace!

Fuck me, I don't know where to go next or really care, I am just loving the exploring. Saying that, I want to head back to Framesville Swamp as there is a boss area there I've not encounter yet. I would like some more Large Shards for my Claymore, the slugs in the swamp drop those don't they?

FUCKINGLOVETHISGAME.

"raw" is not normal weapon... it's actually another special path that you can upgrade your weapons in. just upgrade the claymore to +10 and save it until you reach the smith in anor londo, where you can upgrade it to lighting. it's gonna rule.

as for the catacombs. upgrade a strike-type (hammer, club, etc.) to +5 then divine. skeletons are weak against striking.

Will that stop the skeletons from coming back to life? I noticed the ones in the graveyard at Firelink just rebuild themselves (hitting them with my Claymore).

I really want a Lightning Claymore, which is what I am aiming for now.

Also, is it wise to start thinking about other weapon upgrades for the trophies etc?

Annnd for Divine, that's 5x normal shards, then x10 green titan shards, right?

Booshka

Ha ha , I just realised you can upgrade your armour too! Elite Knight kit +2, ace!

Fuck me, I don't know where to go next or really care, I am just loving the exploring. Saying that, I want to head back to Framesville Swamp as there is a boss area there I've not encounter yet. I would like some more Large Shards for my Claymore, the slugs in the swamp drop those don't they?

FUCKINGLOVETHISGAME.

Yes they do, I would suggest beating the boss near Blighttown though, it will open up Sen's Fortress then you can grab the Gold Covetous Serpent ring and come back to the swamp to farm the slugs with your Item Discovery rate at 300+. Stack it with Humanity in your counter (stop at 10) for max item discovery (410).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
SL45 is a good level to get summoned for Smough and Ornstein right?

Yes they do, I would suggest beating the boss near Blighttown though, it will open up Sen's Fortress then you can grab the Gold Covetous Serpent ring and come back to the swamp to farm the slugs with your Item Discovery rate at 300+. Stack it with Humanity in your counter (stop at 10) for max item discovery (410).

OK cool, thanks for the tips. Is the Gold Covetous Ring hard to find in Sens's Fortress?

Booshka

OK cool, thanks for the tips. Is the Gold Covetous Ring hard to find in Sens's Fortress?

There is a trick to it, you have to
let the balls rolling through the fortress stack into a hole then eventually break through a wall to reveal the room with the ring in it.
It's near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom