• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

What is Occult and Divine?
After great deal of research,this is the conclusion:-

Divine mean holy damage. Divine weapons, thus, is strong against undead creatures. eg. When getting invaded since phantom is invading, and is undead divine is stronger.
Occult is unholy damage and is strong against Living. eg. When invading host is alive so weak to occult

(needs confirmation)
Is this true? Pretty interesting if so.

Any idea how to use cloud storage in this game on the xbox 360? I want to play from my save round my gf's but it won't save to CS.

What I'm doing:

Loading my save from my HDD

Immediately quit saving but selecting cloud storage as the save location

However, when I then go to the title screen there is only the 'New Game' option and I therefore can't load the CS file. Any help is appreciated on this.

I think you have to move the save to cloud storage in the Dashboard. Dark Souls saves are copy protected so I don't think you can have the same file on two different memory devices. After it is moved to cloud storage, you should be able to access it there. I've never tried it, I have no need to, and I'm not sure if I want to risk losing it in the cloud.

Hmm. They're really going all out to preserve DS's 'make a mistake and stick to it' philosophy. Ok I'll yank the HDD round there, cheers for the info.

Booshka

Any idea how to use cloud storage in this game on the xbox 360? I want to play from my save round my gf's but it won't save to CS.

What I'm doing:

Loading my save from my HDD

Immediately quit saving but selecting cloud storage as the save location

However, when I then go to the title screen there is only the 'New Game' option and I therefore can't load the CS file. Any help is appreciated on this.

I think you have to move the save to cloud storage in the Dashboard. Dark Souls saves are copy protected so I don't think you can have the same file on two different memory devices. After it is moved to cloud storage, you should be able to access it there. I've never tried it, I have no need to, and I'm not sure if I want to risk losing it in the cloud.

Ughhhh.
Swinging Blades.

Got clipped by the last one and now I get to redo the entire area. Not fun.

EDIT: Ah yeah there we go. Gimme that fucking bonfire!

sixghost

Ughhhh.
Swinging Blades.

Got clipped by the last one and now I get to redo the entire area. Not fun.

EDIT: Ah yeah there we go. Gimme that fucking bonfire!

protip for the swinging blades: on the later ones with like 4-5 swinging in a row, just get below 25% equip and just sprint. You can make it through in one go.

Now I have all the weapons +10 that I need for the rest of the boss weapons. How nice.

Also did a Fire+10 weapon for the throphy. Next up: griding shitload of Souls for the Miracles/Pyros and trying to get like ummm... 6 Titanite Slabs. Well maybe 2 or so and leave the rest for next playthroughs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
which bonfire?

The only bonfire up there... you have to drop down to it. It's located up off the second platform that giant guy fire bombs.

It's hidden. I didn't find it until after I'd gotten through the stage and into Anor Londo. Found it one day while backtracking and looking for anything I might have missed.

joe2187

Banned
which bonfire?

That bonfire made me so angry. First time making it through the traps and all the way past those hissing bastards, I had about 50K worth of souls and alot of good items for my level, but I was a nervous wreck, I saw the sunlight and was overjoyed! PRAISE THE SUN and then I got hit with one of the giants hairy flaming testicles, I ran for my life with no more estus and 3% health left into the charging hammer of a giant silver knight. I managed to avoid every hit and kill him and saw some signs on the floor telling me a bonfire was ahead.

I searched everywhere and found nothing, then I saw the crack in the walkway at the edge near a soapstone sign, I made a mad run towards it and at the last second as I was jumping, i was hit by a fire bomb, sailed past the bonfire, over the cliff and to my death.

My first attempt at getting my souls back was met by immediate death by an arrow trap at the front gate.

Booshka

That bonfire made me so angry. First time making it through the traps and all the way past those hissing bastards, I had about 50K worth of souls and alot of good items for my level, but I was a nervous wreck, I saw the sunlight and was overjoyed! PRAISE THE SUN and then I got hit with one of the giants hairy flaming testicles, I ran for my life with no more estus and 3% health left into the charging hammer of a giant silver knight. I managed to avoid every hit and kill him and saw some signs on the floor telling me a bonfire was ahead.

I searched everywhere and found nothing, then I saw the crack in the walkway at the edge near a soapstone sign, I made a mad run towards it and at the last second as I was jumping, i was hit by a fire bomb, sailed past the bonfire, over the cliff and to my death.

My first attempt at getting my souls back was met by immediate death by an arrow trap at the front gate.

Well even if you would have landed on the bonfire balcony you would have died from the fall.

I've seen a couple bloodstains of people getting blasted by the firebombs, then get up and land on the bonfire only to die from the fall, so beautifully cruel.

maomaoIYP

Is this true? Pretty interesting if so.

I don't see any logical way of testing that theory though. You would need a divine and an occult weapon that are the same in every aspect except for the type of damage. Anyway both types have terrible scaling, and if you have that kind of faith for them to scale well, might as well stick to sunlight weapon or darkmoon blade.

Well even if you would have landed on the bonfire balcony you would have died from the fall.

I've seen a couple bloodstains of people getting blasted by the firebombs, then get up and land on the bonfire only to die from the fall, so beautifully cruel.

the first time i made it to this bonfire i had a barely visible sliver of health left. so satisfying. i saw messages saying bonfire ahead, so i was looking around when i got hit by the flaming boulder, then the fire hit me again, then i basically stumbled over the edge but survived.

Ran into my first Black Phantom.
Some dude lugging a huge sword around, killed me in three hits.

He was polite, did a bow and left my souls alone (only 3k anyway but eh)

EDIT: I'm at The Archers

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

maomaoIYP

Ran into my first Black Phantom.
Some dude lugging a huge sword around, killed me in three hits.

He was polite, did a bow and left my souls alone (only 3k anyway but eh)

They gain souls based on your level, you lose nothing except your progress from the previous bonfire and your current human status.

Got my hardcover guide from amazon for $12 it's beautiful. Just waiting on my game to get here. It's been months since I rented this and now that I own it I can fully enjoy it. First time around I had no clue what I was doing so I think I'm gonna scrap my old climacteric(40 hours in) and start from scratch with a new one.

Is the only way to transfer items to give them to someone else online and have them trade back with your other character?

Sullichin

Got my hardcover guide from amazon for $12 it's beautiful. Just waiting on my game to get here. It's been months since I rented this and now that I own it I can fully enjoy it. First time around I had no clue what I was doing so I think I'm gonna scrap my old climacteric(40 hours in) and start from scratch with a new one.

Is the only way to transfer items to give them to someone else online and have them trade back with your other character?

Fortunately there is the bottomless box glitch, which allows you to transfer the contents of your bottomless box to a new character (without deleting the other character). It's really useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgDZfu6ivs

Booshka

Fortunately there is the bottomless box glitch, which allows you to transfer the contents of your bottomless box to a new character (without deleting the other character). It's really useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgDZfu6ivs

It's great for duping Divine Blessings that you can use during Invasions as well!

/sarcasm

Like any good glitch, it gets abused by assholes. It does make it so you don't have to poopsock for 30 hours to build a new PvP character.

Archers! *shakes fist*

Switched gears and took my frustrations out on the doggy with the over-sized knife.
Poor mutt didn't have a chance against a Greatshield and quite a bit of endurance.

Mike M

Nick N
Strolled through New Londo Ruins without much trouble. Cursed Greatsword +1 was one-shotting those ghosts, so once I learned where their traps were, I cruised through the upper ruins with ease.

The lower ruins with the Darkwraiths was somewhat harder on my first go-round, because I didn't know when I'd need the cursed sword. Once I got that figured out, the lightning claymore came out and wrecked some havoc.

Died on the last of the Four Kings : / Distance seemed really hard to judge, so a lot of my attacks were whiffing entirely. They didn't seem particularly vulnerable to lightning, should I be using something like my +12 Zweihander or +5 Queelag's Furysword instead?

Need some advise. I maxed out my Black Knight Sword and the bastard is a beast but I just found out I can't ascend the weapon at all. My character stats are:
LVL 70
ENDURANCE 34
STRENGTH 34
DEX 23

I want a kick ass weapon and so far I have:
Soul of Moonlight Butterfly
Soul of Quelaag
Soul of Sif

Any particular weapon I should go for?

Mike M

Nick N
Greatsword of Artorias can be made from the Soul of Sif. There's two versions of it, make it with a +10 broken sword or hilt and you get a divine weapon. Make it with a regular long sword and you get a pure physical damage version that can kill ghosts. Both have intelligence and faith requirements to wield.

Queelag's soul can make make Queelag's Furysword, which I believe is a chaos weapon. It's quick, and at least at where I am in the game it's pretty strong.

Greatsword of Artorias can be made from the Soul of Sif. There's two versions of it, make it with a +10 broken sword or hilt and you get a divine weapon. Make it with a regular long sword and you get a pure physical damage version that can kill ghosts. Both have intelligence and faith requirements to wield.

Queelag's soul can make make Queelag's Furysword, which I believe is a chaos weapon. It's quick, and at least at where I am in the game it's pretty strong.

Can either of those equal the immediate widowmaker that is my Black Knight Sword?

Booshka

Need some advise. I maxed out my Black Knight Sword and the bastard is a beast but I just found out I can't ascend the weapon at all. My character stats are:
LVL 70
ENDURANCE 34
STRENGTH 34
DEX 23

Soul of Quelaag
Soul of Sif

The best weapons you can make usually aren't boss weapons, just take any regular weapon and upgrade it to +10, then take it lightning. Or you can take it to +15 if you wanna keep the scaling. Claymore and Zweihander are excellent swords for lightning, but with your stats, they might be better taken to +15 for scaling.

Of those boss souls, Quelagg's has the best weapons for Dexterity and if you can keep 10 Humanity in your counter they will be even better. If you take a Curved sword to +10 you will make a Quelagg's furysword, which is very good for low requirements, and does mostly fire damage, and it attacks very quickly. If you take a katana to +10 you will make a Chaos Blade, which is one of my favorite weapons in the game. It does the most pure physical of any katana with 10 Humanity, and it is a bit quicker than all of the katanas as well. It can be enchanted and you lose a little health every time you land a hit, but it is a very good weapon.

Sif's soul makes two swords that are only good for extremely high level characters with stats mixed all over the place. I don't suggest making one unless you are gonna level like crazy.

Moonlight makes a horn (spear) that only does magic damage and scales with Intelligence.

I suggest just messing around with weapons and seeing which one has a moveset you like, then upgrade it and invest in it.

sixghost

LVL 70
ENDURANCE 34
STRENGTH 34
DEX 23

Soul of Quelaag
Soul of Sif

Just find the weapons that have the movesets you like best. That's more important than damage, if you ask me.

-Great Scythe(found in Catacombs) is pretty great. The 2h running attack is amazing, and the 2h heavy attack is great as well.
-Claymore is pretty good. The 1h normal has a pretty wide attack, and 1h heavy attack is great range.
-The Lifehunt Scythe(use a later boss soul on a scythe) is just ridiculous if you just want pure damage. The bleed build up is extremely quick, and the bleed damage is huge too. It also causes your bleed meter to fill up pretty quickly as well, but you can counter that with the bloodbite ring or blood shield.
-Black Knight Greataxe, I've never used it but people seem to swear by it. It's pretty hard to find though, I think only one Black Knight before the Kiln has a chance to drop it.
-Gravelord sword is also good too, never used it though.

M.D

WTF IS THIS SHIT

I fear my PS3 may be dying, and I went to backup my saves only to find out that I can't backup my Dark Souls save, and that other saves I can backup may not work on a different PS3? This is some serious bullshit.

Soulhouf

WTF IS THIS SHIT

I fear my PS3 may be dying, and I went to backup my saves only to find out that I can't backup my Dark Souls save, and that other saves I can backup may not work on a different PS3? This is some serious bullshit.

You have to be PS+ to be able to create a transferable save data. You upload it to the cloud and download it to your new PS3.

M.D

You have to be PS+ to be able to create a transferable save data. You upload it to the cloud and download it to your new PS3.

I don't have 50 dollars to spend on PS+ at the moment :/

Does someone here still have those 13 dollars codes from Target and sells them for a good price?

What if I do a backup for my PS3? It will still not backup those files?

RZI

I'm finally done with this game! Level 90 and my clearing time was 32:00:44. I don't think that I went to many optional areas, but I did defeat every boss.

The best weapons you can make usually aren't boss weapons, just take any regular weapon and upgrade it to +10, then take it lightning. Or you can take it to +15 if you wanna keep the scaling. Claymore and Zweihander are excellent swords for lightning, but with your stats, they might be better taken to +15 for scaling.

Of those boss souls, Quelagg's has the best weapons for Dexterity and if you can keep 10 Humanity in your counter they will be even better. If you take a Curved sword to +10 you will make a Quelagg's furysword, which is very good for low requirements, and does mostly fire damage, and it attacks very quickly. If you take a katana to +10 you will make a Chaos Blade, which is one of my favorite weapons in the game. It does the most pure physical of any katana with 10 Humanity, and it is a bit quicker than all of the katanas as well. It can be enchanted and you lose a little health every time you land a hit, but it is a very good weapon.

Sif's soul makes two swords that are only good for extremely high level characters with stats mixed all over the place. I don't suggest making one unless you are gonna level like crazy.

Moonlight makes a horn (spear) that only does magic damage and scales with Intelligence.

I suggest just messing around with weapons and seeing which one has a moveset you like, then upgrade it and invest in it.

Great advise thanks man.

Does it matter what Katana I upgrade to +10? I have the Iaito but its beginning stats don't look as good as the Uchigatana or Washing Pole.

Also my Strength and Endurance stats will never effect how easy a weapon is to swing right? I am just asking cause I have the Black Knight Greatsword and its slow as hell but it would be pretty sweet to be able to swing it faster.

Frank

Does it matter what Katana I upgrade to +10? I have the Iaito but its beginning stats don't look as good as the Uchigatana or Washing Pole.

Also my Strength and Endurance stats will never effect how easy a weapon is to swing right? I am just asking cause I have the Black Knight Greatsword and its slow as hell but it would be pretty sweet to be able to swing it faster.

Nope, and nope. Whatever katana is just fine, and the speed of swinging is connected to the weapon type not your stats.

As a side note, I'm starting to appreciate a bit more the Chaos weapons. They do require a bit more commitment then other weapons -- both in upgrading along that path (not that smith Vamos is extremely hidden, but getting to him is potentially more dangerous then any other smith) and keeping the damage up (having 10 active humanities).

M.D

Am I wrong for leveling my character in NG+? I'm currently SL100 with 35 VIT and END, 42 STR and 22 DEX

I'm a pyro and want to invest heavily in faith in NG+, but I realized this will probably make me too strong? Or at least will take some challenge out of the game?

It seems a lot of people don't level their character in NG+? Or am I wrong? There's also a lot of people who finish the game with a low level character..

This almost make me feel like I'm cheating... I feel bad enough for reading a lot on wiki :(

Guevara

Finally stopped screwing around and finished the game. SL 82, about 80 hours, all areas, all optional content I could in one run. Plus tons of co-op assisting.

Finished with Solaire which felt right for the good ending. Now we're all grossly incandescent.

sixghost

Finally stopped screwing around and finished the game. SL 82, about 80 hours, all areas, all optional content I could in one run. Plus tons of co-op assisting.

Finished with Solaire which felt right for the good ending. Now we're all grossly incandescent.

I had Solaire with me the entire way up to Gwyn, then right before we got the last hit in on Gwyn, Solaire got cut down. I practically thought it was scripted it worked out so perfectly.

krakov

Am I wrong for leveling my character in NG+? I'm currently SL100 with 35 VIT and END, 42 STR and 22 DEX

I'm a pyro and want to invest heavily in faith in NG+, but I realized this will probably make me too strong? Or at least will take some challenge out of the game?

It seems a lot of people don't level their character in NG+? Or am I wrong? There's also a lot of people who finish the game with a low level character..

This almost make me feel like I'm cheating... I feel bad enough for reading a lot on wiki :(

Putting a few points in faith won't change much. With those stats you probably won't have a hard time either way. NG+ isn't that much of a change really.

If you want to be challenged just do a new character.

Also worth noting that you'll find way less co-op session past lvl 130-140 or so.

Guevara

I had Solaire with me the entire way up to Gwyn, then right before we got the last hit in on Gwyn, Solaire got cut down. I practically thought it was scripted it worked out so perfectly.

Solaire had about one hit left it him. I jumped between him and Gwyn and just tanked him to death. Your ending is more poetic but I couldn't let Solaire down after all his help.

Sullichin

Nope, and nope. Whatever katana is just fine, and the speed of swinging is connected to the weapon type not your stats.

As a side note, I'm starting to appreciate a bit more the Chaos weapons. They do require a bit more commitment then other weapons -- both in upgrading along that path (not that smith Vamos is extremely hidden, but getting to him is potentially more dangerous then any other smith) and keeping the damage up (having 10 active humanities).

Yeah, I didn't get the point of chaos weapons my first go 'round. I need 10 active humanity for it to out damage the equivalent fire weapon? Madness! Now I realize their usefulness in PVP, when you're more likely to have active humanity... I really like the chaos gargoyles halberd, it's light, has long range, and I like the spinning attack. good offhand weapon.

Do whatever you want. People restrain their levels for a few reasons. To stay within the most active co-op / invasion ranges.. Lots of people stop around 120 for PVP. Some people stay low level just for the challenge. And some people keep leveling up (I believe most high level PVP happens in the forest, but I don't like forest pvp much).
Adding a bunch of faith to your character is not going to make you overpowered in NG+, but I always found at least the first half of NG+ to be easy anyway. And a lot of the people you're reading about finishing the game at a low level / restricting their leveling are not on their first character. You might as well experiment with stuff on this character.

Soulhouf

You can make awesome chaos weapons right after beating Queelag. I tried this on my SL12 character and that made my run after Blighttown too easy despite my low level.
This type of weapon is even better than Lightning IMO. Not only you can get it very early but also when maximized with 10 humanities, the damage is greater than Lightning weapon +5.

M.D

Putting a few points in faith won't change much. With those stats you probably won't have a hard time either way. NG+ isn't that much of a change really.

If you want to be challenged just do a new character.

Also worth noting that you'll find way less co-op session past lvl 130-140 or so.

But... I love helping people :(

I was actually thinking to invest only in faith and get it to 50 in NG+

Maybe I should just open a new faith character?

What would be a good starting class for a faith build? What should I invest in other than faith?

Do whatever you want. People restrain their levels for a few reasons. To stay within the most active co-op / invasion ranges.. Lots of people stop around 120 for PVP. Some people stay low level just for the challenge. And some people keep leveling up (I believe most high level PVP happens in the forest said:
I guess you're right.
I've already bought a lot of the miracles, so I might as well use this character to try them out and get used to casting in this game

I know for sure that my next step should be miracles or sorcery because I'll probably get bored otherwise.

When I go to NG+, do I still need to pay the same amount of souls for leveling? I imagine so because I keep my stats... It's going to be expensive as fuck to level my faith lol

sixghost

What would be a good starting class for a faith build? What should I invest in other than faith?

My Faith character is was all FAI/END/VIT other than stats necessary to meet minimum reqs for the weapon I wanted to use. With some good armor and a shield, you can become a walking tank, especially since you'll be able to heal yourself so well. It makes you the ideal Co-op partner, since the host doesn't need to worry so much about healing you with estus.

Just got through Blighttown...

Glad that's over with.

More like Shite Town amirite?

I just beat Demon's Souls last night. Unsure why I was stuck originally, but I ended up breezing though the last 6 or 7 bosses/archstones without any issues. I guess Dark Souls was the training I needed to clear the game, lol.

Sullichin

I guess you're right.
I've already bought a lot of the miracles, so I might as well use this character to try them out and get used to casting in this game

I know for sure that my next step should be miracles or sorcery because I'll probably get bored otherwise.

When I go to NG+, do I still need to pay the same amount of souls for leveling? I imagine so because I keep my stats... It's going to be expensive as fuck to level my faith lol

Yes you have to pay the same amount to level up, but enemies drop more souls, so it won't take as long as you might think. If you're starting a new faith character, cleric has the best faith to start with. I'd focus on FAI (obviously) and either STR or DEX, then take a STR/DEX scaling weapon up to +15 and enchant it with either sunlight or darkmoon blade. FAI scaling on weapons kind of sucks. I do like the crescent axe a lot though even if the damage is a bit underwhelming.

Clevinger

So when you fight the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, are there some holes in the water area or something? Because I've fallen through the floor and died twice now in the water where I'm close enough for it to lunge at me with his heads.

If it's a bug then I so don't want to keep fighting this fucking thing and falling through every time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So when you fight the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, are there some holes in the water area or something? Because I've fallen through the floor and died twice now in the water where I'm close enough for it to lunge at me with his heads.

Yes, all the area around the Hydra is a giant hole. You have to keep your distance and bait it into attacking you with its heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom