• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I want to give a shout to whoever suggested using Aural Noise/Aural Decoy for the Capra demon fight. Turned a crap-shoot fight into a very controllable fight.

Huh, that spell works for the fight? I tried using it a few times elsewhere, but it seemed completely ineffective.

rififi

No they aren't.
Gwyndolin's 7-8 feet tall (and even taller when he stands up straight on his... snakes)
and the player character comes up to about mid-chest
on Gwyn.

From what I guess, the Gods and demigods are variable in size. Smough and Gwynevere are giant-size, Ornstein, Gwyn, Gwyndolin, and the Witch of Izalith (judging from the prologue) are 1 1/2 to twice as tall as humans, and the Daughters of Chaos are human-size. There are also the Four Kings and possibly Artorias, who may be even taller that Gwynevere depending on how you extrapolate from his sword that Sif uses, but we don't actually know how big they were in life. It's also possible that they can change their height- we know Ornstein at least can do so- or that the Gods genetics just work differently and height is semi-random and doesn't really mean anything.

Plus, we know absolutely nothing about Gwynevere's mother; it's possible she was a giant. Or, seeing as Anor Londo is basically an Olympus expy anyway, she may have just sprung forth from her father's forehead and doesn't have a mother.

Priscilla's
parentage is completely fanon; there's no statement who her parents are, beyond "dragon" and
"some hominoid."
However, it's not unreasoable to assume that
she is Seath's daughter, likey as a failed experiment. I very much doubt that she is Gwynevere's daughter, though. It just doesn't jive with me. Especially since Gwynevere's married and all.

This is what I love about this game, there is so much lore behind the world, but very little of it is actually directly told to you.
I forgot about all the other bosses and the variances in size. I guess the height thing is more of an artistic direction than anything else.

Woorloog

Banned
No sir! Enjoy the ride!

The biggest problem with the 360 compared to PS3, outside of activity, is modded characters. You can mod a save file on USB stick on 360, so people are writing in insane stats and numbers. Players can make Twink characters on both consoles, but on 360 you will run in to full on modded characters, fighting people with 10K HP or more, infinite stamina and equip load, etc. It's not common, but it's there. Otherwise, it's fine and plenty active.

Thanks.

I don't have Gold at the moment though so i'm effectively disconnected, yes? So modded characters should not be an issue.

Booshka

Thanks.

I don't have Gold at the moment though so i'm effectively disconnected, yes? So modded characters should not be an issue.

Yeah you'll be offline, try to stay in Human form as much as possible though even if you are offline, so you can interact with NPC Summons and Invasions.

So I was running through the game again when I just realized something odd about Gwynevere.
When you join the Princess Guard covenant, she gives you the Ring of the Sun Princess, which the item description outright states the real Gwynevere left Anor Londo along with many other deities. Way to blow your cover.

Another interesting thing is the missing statue in the Cathedral/S&O Boss arena. You have Gwyn in the center, Gwynevere to the right, and the statue to the left is missing. Gwyn's first born really, really pissed off everyone when he got vanished.

Speaking of Gwyn's first born, he needs a name. They've got a "Que" thing going on with the Daughters of Chaos, and the Fair Lady is unofficially known as Quelaan. We need to give Gwyn's first born his own unofficial name for shorthand.

So I was running through the game again when I just realized something odd about Gwynevere.
When you join the Princess Guard covenant, she gives you the Ring of the Sun Princess, which the item description outright states the real Gwynevere left Anor Londo along with many other deities. Way to blow your cover.

Another interesting thing is the missing statue in the Cathedral/S&O Boss arena. You have Gwyn in the center, Gwynevere to the right, and the statue to the left is missing. Gwyn's first born really, really pissed off everyone when he got vanished.

Speaking of Gwyn's first born, he needs a name. They've got a "Que" thing going on with the Daughters of Chaos, and the Fair Lady is unofficially known as Quelaan. What can we call Gwyn's firstborn for short?

I just suspend disbelief with the item descriptions. It's not like the Chosen undead can possibly know this stuff, anyway.

I like "Caergwyn" for the the firstborn- it's a strong, masculine name for the God of War. It also means the same as Gwyn ("blessed"), so it also fits the theme in the Firstborn was basically a younger Gwyn in power.

My decision to not read anything and not prepare myself in any way for Dark Souls was an excellent one. The utter confusion and panic when "Disasters are gone after defeating the gravelord servant" completely randomly appeared on my screen was totally worth it.

I really think I ruined quite a bit of Demon's Souls for myself by reading up on it and using the Wiki...like everyone in the world told me to. Not doing that for Dark Souls is making for a way more intense and rewarding experience.

I just suspend disbelief with the item descriptions. It's not like the Chosen undead can possibly know this stuff, anyway.

I like "Caergwyn" for the the firstborn- it's a strong, masculine name for the God of War. It also means the same as Gwyn ("blessed"), so it also fits the theme in the Firstborn was basically a younger Gwyn in power.

I think I'm digging Caergwyn. The word has multiple means, "Fortified City or Castle" is one, "To Fall" is another. How is "Caer" pronounced? "Cay-yer", right?

Canova

Banned
My decision to not read anything and not prepare myself in any way for Dark Souls was an excellent one. The utter confusion and panic when "Disasters are gone after defeating the gravelord servant" completely randomly appeared on my screen was totally worth it.

I really think I ruined quite a bit of Demon's Souls for myself by reading up on it and using the Wiki...like everyone in the world told me to. Not doing that for Dark Souls is making for a way more intense and rewarding experience.

I'm always disappointed when I see that message, I don't want the disasters to go.

krakov

I'm always disappointed when I see that message, I don't want the disasters to go.

Gravelord messages are one of few things that still feel fresh to me. Saw one a few days ago and wasn't sure which one it was so I scoured the whole of Demon Ruins 2-3 times but found nothing :(

Gravelord messages are one of few things that still feel fresh to me. Saw one a few days ago and wasn't sure which one it was so I scoured the whole of Demon Ruins 2-3 times but found nothing :(

I still have no idea what that means. Can someone explain it to me?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I agree 110%. I always urge new players to not check the wiki. Being lost and confused is part of the experience.

I think my only gripe so far with this game is the need to be in human form for the online stuff to work. Humanity isn't really that easy to come by and it has other uses - so needing to use it just for co-op/PvP seems a bit unfair. I haven't reached the vendors that sell it yet, and looking at the prices it looks pricey too!

Canova

Banned
I still have no idea what that means. Can someone explain it to me?

someone puts a curse onto your world, so all your enemies become stronger, they take the form of black phantom enemies like in Demon's Souls.

but man, the black phantom enemies are mean, vicious motherfuckers, they chase you to the end of the world and one-shot you most of the time, no second chance

someone puts a curse onto your world, so all your enemies become stronger, they take the form of black phantom enemies like in Demon's Souls.

but man, the black phantom enemies are mean, vicious motherfuckers, they chase you to the end of the world and one-shot you most of the time, no second chance

Really? I have seen that message a dozen times but I can't recall every fighting really difficult black phantoms. Is it actual players invading your world or just NPC Phantoms? How do you curse someones game?

Canova

Banned
Really? I have seen that message a dozen times but I can't recall every fighting really difficult black phantoms. Is it actual players invading your world or just NPC Phantoms? How do you curse someones game?

they are not NPC phantoms. for example in Undead Burg, if your world get cursed, a black phantom giant knight appears in the church (near the shortcut elevators), and it's hard to kill as hell, you do little damage to it, while it can kill you in one smash.

in tomb of the giant, if your world get cursed, black phantoms skeleton dogs appear, if you hate the regular skeleton dogs, imagine how you feel about the black phantom version

Sullichin

I think my only gripe so far with this game is the need to be in human form for the online stuff to work. Humanity isn't really that easy to come by and it has other uses - so needing to use it just for co-op/PvP seems a bit unfair. I haven't reached the vendors that sell it yet, and looking at the prices it looks pricey too!

Humanity is much more abundant after the patch. The bosses drop them now, and passively getting a humanity in your counter is much easier than it was before (killing a lot enemies in an area where the boss isn't dead will add a humanity to your counter). But you will still wind up farming humanity from the certain enemies who drop them. You won't be able to buy a large amount of humanity from any of the vendors.

I think the worst part of the game is the weapon/armor upgrade system. I appreciate its depth, but there's a few things that make it wacky. It's wayy easier now to upgrade a crazy powerful unique weapon with twinkling titanite than it is a measly normal weapon, which requires a few different materials, all of which you will probably spend time farming for.
It's no wonder most new players seem to go for the drake sword and then the lightning spear, because every other weapon you pick up along the way seems useless unless you spend time upgrading it. It doesn't help that even +5 weapons are outclassed by the drake sword, which is as far as you can take items at that point in the game.

Farming for items isn't very fun, i'd rather all of the materials be purchasable, except for the slabs which should be rare, and twinkling items should require slabs of some sort as well.

they are not NPC phantoms. for example in Undead Burg, if your world get cursed, a black phantom giant knight appears in the church (near the shortcut elevators), and it's hard to kill as hell, you do little damage to it, while it can kill you in one smash.

in tomb of the giant, if your world get cursed, black phantoms skeleton dogs appear, if you hate the regular skeleton dogs, imagine how you feel about the black phantom version

Wow I remember that bloody knight I just thought it was a invader.

It's no wonder most new players seem to go for the drake sword and then the lightning spear, because every other weapon you pick up along the way seems useless unless you spend time upgrading it. It doesn't help that even +5 weapons are outclassed by the drake sword, which is as far as you can take items at that point in the game.
Yes that's true, I had a +5 sword that I upgrade to raw, I think it was 156 atk, when I got the drake sword it was 200, so it was a no brainer to use it, although I got the lightning spear just before/after (I forget) so I've used that almost exclusively - although it's not much use against the gargoyles and flying monkey things in Anor Londo since they have lightning themselves so I guess they're relatively impervious to it.

joelseph

I think the worst part of the game is the weapon/armor upgrade system. I appreciate its depth, but there's a few things that make it wacky. It's wayy easier now to upgrade a crazy powerful unique weapon with twinkling titanite than it is a measly normal weapon, which requires a few different materials, all of which you will probably spend time farming for.

Farming for items isn't very fun, i'd rather all of the materials be purchasable, except for the slabs which should be rare, and twinkling items should require slabs of some sort as well.

Yeah I agree on both points. Not only is the system confusing and convoluted but the Drake sword so early throws the entire system out of whack. I try and use other weapons just because.

Mike M

Nick N
So is there a better place to farm souls than the Painted World? You've got the Phalanx guys practically *right there* by the bonfire, making it super easy to run in there, Chaos Storm nearly all of them to death (Sometimes, still trying to perfect the timing so I pull off the whole thing before getting interrupted by their attacks while still managing to kill most of them), the run back to the bonfire to repeat it.

Stack a Symbol of Avarice and silver snake ring, and you walk away with what, 12K+ souks a trip? For a minimal amount of effort, it seems like it can't be beat.

joe2187

Banned
Use the same method with covetous gold ring while farming humanity from the Picasas in the Library jail in the Dukes Archives for extra benefit! Tons of souls and about 2-3 Humanity each trip!

Yeah I agree on both points. Not only is the system confusing and convoluted but the Drake sword so early throws the entire system out of whack. I try and use other weapons just because.

It's even more borked now because I'm pretty sure that when you start a new game at least one three Black Knight Swordsman, the 1 in Undeadburg and the two in the Asylum, is guaranteed to drop a Black Knight Sword, which is much better than the Drake Sword, scales and scales quite well, and much easier to upgrade to +5. I've made 5 new characters, they've all gotten that sword from one of those three.

Mike M

Nick N
Use the same method with covetous gold ring while farming humanity from the Picasas in the Library jail in the Dukes Archives for extra benefit! Tons of souls and about 2-3 Humanity each trip!

If only it weren't such a long trip down the stairs to get to them.

Also, LOL at the man serpents who rush past you and completely ignore you to go climb that ladder every time you leave the bonfire cell.

It's even more borked now because I'm pretty sure that when you start a new game at least one three Black Knight Swordsman, the 1 in Undeadburg and the two in the Asylum, is guaranteed to drop a Black Knight Sword, which is much better than the Drake Sword, scales and scales quite well, and much easier to upgrade to +5. I've made 5 new characters, they've all gotten that sword from one of those three.

Nah, I killed all three of those guys with no sword drop. Killed them, plus the knights in Basin, Catacombs, and Tomb (Think that's it...), and all I've got to show for it is the shield and the BK halberd.

Doesn't the BK sword have considerably higher stat requirements than the Drake Sword anyway? Probably mitigates some of the brokenness of it.

Dresden

All the best weapons are +15/elemental, don't see the problem here. I can only think of three or so 'unique' weapons that are even comparable to regular weapons.

The armor is borked, though, since it's easier and better to upgrade uniques via twinkling. I'll miss my Elite Knight set, best looking set in the game.

Sullichin

All the best weapons are +15/elemental, don't see the problem here. I can only think of three or so 'unique' weapons that are even comparable to regular weapons.

The armor is borked, though, since it's easier and better to upgrade uniques via twinkling. I'll miss my Elite Knight set, best looking set in the game.

Yeah the *best* weapons are. But if you co-op in the burg or the depths or blighttown, almost every host will have the drake sword, and it's because it's stronger than anything else you can get at that point. Then people tend to replace that with the lightning spear. I think we'd see more new players experiment with different types of weapons if these two weapons weren't in the mix and upgrading was a little easier, is all. it would be nice if the game actually pushed the concept of upgrading weapons somehow.

I also just think that there's too many materials required for upgrading a weapon fully, I'm not saying every weapon should be maxed out damage as soon as you pick it up, but farming can be boring. I'd just like to see it a bit more streamlined.

Also, raw/magic/divine/occult/enchanted upgrade paths are all but useless...

But yeah twinkling for sale is definitely more of an issue with armor than weapons. I was thinking of the black knight weapons, but of course there's way more normal weapons. Most of my characters still use elite knights for part of a playthrough, it's nerfed but it's not terrible. Still a good set to pick up early on.

Soulhouf

It's wayy easier now to upgrade a crazy powerful unique weapon with twinkling titanite than it is a measly normal weapon, which requires a few different materials, all of which you will probably spend time farming for.

Making twinkling purchasable pretty much broke the game IMO.

Oh that EpicNameBro video explaining his favorite build is not bad. The most interesting thing is the non upgraded Pyro Glove thing.
It blew my mind. Now I can use my Power Within without loosing an insane amount of HP.

balddemon

Banned
finally getting the hang of parrying --> ripostes. it's so satisfying. also backstabs: i couldn't trigger them, ever, with my longsword (even ones i crept up on from behind), but then i upgraded it and instantly started backstabbing the shit out of enemies. what triggers those?

also also, beat that titanite demon that guards the garden place, really easy fight once i foudn the spot he can't hit you in. but then the halberd wielding black knight killed me haha

time to go somewhere else

Drake Sword only requires 10 Dex
Oh yeah, my bad. Thought it required 14.

finally getting the hang of parrying --> ripostes. it's so satisfying. also backstabs: i couldn't trigger them, ever, with my longsword (even ones i crept up on from behind), but then i upgraded it and instantly started backstabbing the shit out of enemies. what triggers those?

You have to be precisely behind them, and you have to account for them twisting their body.

also also, beat that titanite demon that guards the garden place, really easy fight once i foudn the spot he can't hit you in. but then the halberd wielding black knight killed me haha

as long as you are not holding up your shield, you can backstab the hell of a lot of enemies.

You know what else made the game too easy?
Drake Sword
:(

So it happened to me too. In the worst possible place. My easy game+ turned into a nightmare game+. I was doing fine, did Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, Quelaag and Gargoyles very fast. And without dying. I ran to the Sen's Fortress and killed the first two Serpents. Walked up the stairs.

Boom, two Nightmare Serpents. "OH SHIT, I WAS CURSED, WHEN???". Well most likely in Blighttown. Well nice, the enemies I hate the most in the place I like the least dealing insane amounts of damage with ridiculous amounts of poise. Whooptie doo. I got to the midpoint but I was killed by a red Serpent Mage. Then I got killed by the first two red Serpents. There goes my 35 humanity and million of souls. Feels bad mang.

Then I die into the swinging axes in the third part. Like twice. I felt like eating the controller.

I get past that part, turns out that a red Serpent Soldier spawns in front of the door I get killed by that once. Next time I lure it out with a bow and it avoids all the axes "Why didn't I have that luck". At this point I am just running up there because I have died at least 14 times in the past 20 minutes.

Finally I got to the bonfire, killed the Iron Golem without getting hit once but I am still feeling sour from that stage. Never going back.

And I can't even go and kill Nito because I need to Gravelord to get the Greatsword Dance.

/vent

Mike M

Nick N
I "beat" him by him inexplicably leaping off the ledge after landing the killing blow on me. Dropped the shield too, so it was probably the best death I ever had : )

Probably would have prevailed if I'd managed to lure him to more open ground, at that point in the game I was able to take them down, but I needed room to maneuver and a whole lot of time...

Make sure you aren't moving when atempting to backstab, that is stop moving the stick and inmediatly press the attack button when you're behind.

MechaX

I agree 110%. I always urge new players to not check the wiki. Being lost and confused is part of the experience.

Personally, I felt reading the wiki increased my enjoyment of Demon's, at least. There was just so much things that the game kept hidden from you that I wouldn't have known otherwise, and reading the wiki really gave me an incentive to explore stuff like Character/World Tendency right of the bat. Alternatively, if I had not read the wiki first, I might have been like "Okay, game is done" and put it immediately back on the shelf. When knowing about how the game works, especially since you couldn't do everything your first time, I had more of an incentive to immediately replay the game to try to break the system.

Dunno how it would have worked out for Dark, especially since I played it upon release where the wiki was often horribly incorrect about everything.

Make sure you aren't moving when atempting to backstab, that is stop moving the stick and inmediatly press the attack button when you're behind.

Man, I didn't even know that, unless I was just subconsciously letting go of the stick before landing a backstab all this time.

Sullichin

So it happened to me too. In the worst possible place. My easy game+ turned into a nightmare game+. I was doing fine, did Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, Quelaag and Gargoyles very fast. And without dying. I ran to the Sen's Fortress and killed the first two Serpents. Walked up the stairs.

Boom, two Nightmare Serpents. "OH SHIT, I WAS CURSED, WHEN???". Well most likely in Blighttown. Well nice, the enemies I hate the most in the place I like the least dealing insane amounts of damage with ridiculous amounts of poise. Whooptie doo. I got to the midpoint but I was killed by a red Serpent Mage. Then I got killed by the first two red Serpents. There goes my 35 humanity and million of souls. Feels bad mang.

Then I die into the swinging axes in the third part. Like twice. I felt like eating the controller.

I get past that part, turns out that a red Serpent Soldier spawns in front of the door I get killed by that once. Next time I lure it out with a bow and it avoids all the axes "Why didn't I have that luck". At this point I am just running up there because I have died at least 14 times in the past 20 minutes.

Finally I got to the bonfire, killed the Iron Golem without getting hit once but I am still feeling sour from that stage. Never going back.

And I can't even go and kill Nito because I need to Gravelord to get the Greatsword Dance.

/vent

Omg, I'm so jealous of your ultra gravelorded sen's fortress. My favorite area in the game, and I've only seen it gravelorded in someone else's world (and the red serpents weren't even on the main path)

2AdEPT

Especially if you try hard not to just go at bosses right away and explore to the fullest extent possible before choosing a boos route. Having your choice of select equipment for certainbossess is half the fun especially early.

MechaX

Hm.. This is weird. I'm trying to get summoned by my friend in Sen's Fort, and I can clearly see his ghost by the bonfire and beyond. I don't think level is a problem, but what in the hell could be going on? (I would think that if I could see him at all, we would be on the same server)

I finally passed that part with the archers in Anor Londo after like 20 tries. Ended up making the one on the right run after me and fall to his death. But wow, Ornstein and Smough are scaring me in a whole new way. Yikes. Any advice there? I imagine it's something I need a group to do efficiently.

But getting scared off from that boss gave me a chance to explore stuff from earlier in the game. I was shocked to accidently find The Catacombs all of a sudden. A pretty nasty place, but the boss was as easy as I have been hearing. The atmosphere was really rich there.

Mike M

Nick N
I finally passed that part with the archers in Anor Londo after like 20 tries. Ended up making the one on the right run after me and fall to his death. But wow, Ornstein and Smough are scaring me in a whole new way. Yikes. Any advice there? I imagine it's something I need a group to do efficiently.

But getting scared off from that boss gave me a chance to explore stuff from earlier in the game. I was shocked to accidently find The Catacombs all of a sudden. A pretty nasty place, but the boss was as easy as I have been hearing. The atmosphere was really rich there.

Ornstein is vulnerable to fire/resistant against lightning, Smough is vulnerable to lightning. Focus on one first (General advice is to pick Ornstein, Smough has a more limited moveset and is easy to dodge), since the second will refill his health for the second round. When helping out as a phantom, I had my Queelag's Furysword and Lightning Spear (Both +5), and they were both ridiculous at trashing these guys.

Outside of that, always try and keep both of them visible so you can see what the partner is up to. Smough can break the pillars in the room, but can't do his rushing attack through them.

Sullichin

Re: Ornstein and Smough fight, you can purchase the armor of whomever you kill second. You also get that soul (they're each used for crafting different weapons). I really like Ornstein's armor. and Smough's has awesome poise.

This fight is my favorite in the game, and it's really amazing co-op. A good host will quickly start attacking who they want to kill first so the phantom(s) can focus on distracting the other. Just beat them on my SL1 with a phantom, so much fun.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol... my newest project is a lvl 5 barbarian. I wear no armor except for the hollow soldier's crappy waistband thing and some gloves. No attunement slots. My weapons are two +5 caestuses. No shield, lol. No projectiles of any sort, apart from the occasional firebombs.

haha... man, I'm getting my butt kicked. I summoned help so I could get havel's ring because I died about 10x trying to kill him myself. Just took so long to wear him down with backstabs that I eventually lost concentration and made a mistake. And, with no armor, you cannot make mistakes.

Funny story... I've been invaded twice and won both. But I attribute this mostly to luck. I think the invaders were like wtf and I was rolling around everywhere. Got one guy to fall to his death, and the other guy I beat straight up. He didn't have much health or awesome equip. so I guess he was a legit early lvl invader and not a glitcher.

Anyway... I don't know how far I'll get like this. I know the depths so well, there's no worries down there. But I feel like Blighttown is going to ruin me. As it has many other times with fun/experimental builds.

Sullichin

Anyway... I don't know how far I'll get like this. I know the depths so well, there's no worries down there. But I feel like Blighttown is going to ruin me. As it has many other times with fun/experimental builds.

If you go in the back way to Blighttown, you can pretty much just rush Quelaag and ignore the rest of the level. I just beat her naked sl1, you can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom