• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a trick to it, you have to
let the balls rolling through the fortress stack into a hole then eventually break through a wall to reveal the room with the ring in it.
It's near the bottom.

Cheers. I'll have a play when I get to it. I just looked at the Dark Souls wiki and it says the ring is +200, did they boost it in a patch or does that mean something else?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring

My Humanity is currently at 01, but I have a load in my inventory. I wasn't aware having 10 (showing on the osd) improved item discovery!

lunlunqq

Cheers. I'll have a play when I get to it. I just looked at the Dark Souls wiki and it says the ring is +200, did they boost it in a patch or does that mean something else?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring

My Humanity is currently at 01, but I have a load in my inventory. I wasn't aware having 10 (showing on the osd) improved item discovery!

Yep, get the ring before you start to form the slugs for shards.

Back to the divine weapons, any divine weapon will kill the skeletons permanently. You don't really upgrade your divine weapon to higher levels unless you are a faith build or you want the high level divine weapons for higher damage. Striking weapons knocks skeletons apart, making them much easier to deal with.

Generally speaking, you probably want to ring the second bell and explore the sen's fortress before worrying about the catacombs.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm not really sure how I should upgrade my character at the moment.

I have a Large Club +10, but I'm not sure if there's another weapon I should consider or if I should just stick with the club. I'm a Faith/Strength character.

I have no idea what armor set I'm going to use.

My current stats are:

VIT: 25
ATT: 10
END: 25
STR: 26
DEX: 11
RES: 10
INT:9
FAI: 12

Any suggestions for other weapons I should consider on this character (armor for that matter too I guess)?

*edit*

I just realized why there are two different sized elevators for the Smough/Ornstein area. It's hilarious that the Devs would actually take their size that consideration for the size of the elevators. Well done From.

sixghost

I have a Large Club +10, but I'm not sure if there's another weapon I should consider or if I should just stick with the club. I'm a Faith/Strength character.

My current stats are:

Any suggestions for other weapons I should consider on this character (armor for that matter too I guess)?

I don't know what the min STR req for the giant club is, but the way I built my Faith character was to get END/VIT as high as possible, get my STR/DEX up to the Min.req of whatever weapon I wanted to use, and then put the rest into faith. You start to spread yourself very thin when you are putting points into END, VIT, ATT, STR/DEX, and FAI.

My guy at 120 was:
VIT 40
ATT 22 or 25
END 40
STR 16(for claymore)
DEX 14
FAI 50

If you're OK with less faith or less miracle slots, you could probably have your strength much higher though.

I do think that bow combat is better in Skyrim, though. Dark Souls archery is incredibly clunky, hit detection is wonky (hitboxes for most geometry extends several inches past the texture, so you get a lot of arrows hitting air when trying to shoot from behind cover), the reticle is slightly off and it takes too many button presses to get into aim mode, and you have to make your build entirely around it for it to be useful, let alone effective.

Broseybrose

Im finally turning to GAF for help with a strategy for Lord Gwyn.

SL 105

VIT- 32
ATT- 16
END- 34
STR- 20
DEX- 20
RES- 14
INT- 36
FAI- 14

My character's very versatile. I have tons of great gear but I go with enchanted Iatio or enchanted scythe two-handed. Black Knight Armor and Shield +5 for good phys/fire defense. Sorcerer's catalyst and Soul Spear. Havels ring and Cloranthy ring usually.

Most Ive ever taken off the guy is like 10% of his health. HELP!
If anyone wants to help me Ill be running around the Kiln for the next hour or two! Help please. PSN - Broseybrose.

Tomat

I don't know what the min STR req for the giant club is, but the way I built my Faith character was to get END/VIT as high as possible, get my STR/DEX up to the Min.req of whatever weapon I wanted to use, and then put the rest into faith. You start to spread yourself very thin when you are putting points into END, VIT, ATT, STR/DEX, and FAI.

My guy at 120 was:
VIT 40
ATT 22 or 25
END 40
STR 16(for claymore)
DEX 14
FAI 50

If you're OK with less faith or less miracle slots, you could probably have your strength much higher though.

I'll probably only end up with two to three attument slots by the time Im done. I'm alright with that.

sixghost

If anyone wants to help me Ill be running around the Kiln for the next hour or two! Help please. PSN - Broseybrose.

With that much VIT/END, you really shouldn't have a problem killing him with the parry method. Equip the Hornet Ring, and keep trying it until you learn the timing.

If you just can't do that, try using the pillars to give you an opportunity to heal or do w/e.
I'll probably only end up with two to three attument slots by the time Im done. I'm alright with that.
What miracles would you like to use specifically?

Tomat

With that much VIT/END, you really shouldn't have a problem killing him with the parry method. Equip the Hornet Ring, and keep trying it until you learn the timing.

If you just can't do that, try using the pillars to give you an opportunity to heal or do w/e.

What miracles would you like to use specifically?

So far just Sunlight Blade and a Heal. Beyond that I'm not sure. Maybe the first Lightning Spear miracle.

lunlunqq

My current stats are:

*edit*

I just realized why there are two different sized elevators for the Smough/Ornstein area. It's hilarious that the Devs would actually take their size that consideration for the size of the elevators. Well done From.

For weapon, the closest next is probably the Great Club which requires 28 str. However, it's very similar to what you are using right now. The next level of hard-hitting weapons requires 32~36ish str and pretty much all of them have some dex requirements (14~18).

To get a different experience, I think you should probably try the Halberds. They are awesome weapons, especially when upgraded into fire or lighting weapons in early games. Try a normal Halberds or the Scythe. They have different move sets. I personally prefer the Gargoyle's Halberd though it's not a sure drop from the gargoyles and there are only 4 gargoyles in each playthrough.

As for amors, with your end, put on the Havel's Ring and ninja roll ring, you can consider some heavy armor pieces. I currently rock fully upgraded Paladin helmet, gauntlets, and armor with a fully upgraded Sealer's leggings (light but still gives over 40 defenses). I have around 300 deference and 40+ poise and still can run and roll just fine.

Dresden

So far just Sunlight Blade and a Heal. Beyond that I'm not sure. Maybe the first Lightning Spear miracle.

Lightning Spear isn't very good until you buff out Faith to a high level and . . . even then it's basically a glorified great soul arrow. With your stats you'd be better off focusing on strength for now.

Tomat

Lightning Spear isn't very good until you buff out Faith to a high level and . . . even then it's basically a glorified great soul arrow. With your stats you'd be better off focusing on strength for now.

How about Sunlight Blade?

dexterslu

Probably the most basic question ever, but I've been playing as thief for about 20 hours of the game and I'm stuck at the Gargoyles. I've been reading that magic is quite helpful for this battle but for whatever reason I still don't have any spells yet - what am I missing?

Dresden

Probably the most basic question ever, but I've been playing as thief for about 20 hours of the game and I'm stuck at the Gargoyles. I've been reading that magic is quite helpful for this battle but for whatever reason I still don't have any spells yet - what am I missing?
2 tips (you don't need magic):

1. Pine Gold Resin and a fast weapon like a bandit knife wrecks the gargoyles.

2. Summon help if you need it. There are two possible NPC summons there along with a lot of human players trying to farm sunlight medals.
How about Sunlight Blade?
Sunlight Blade is good. Obviously gets better with more faith (I think it's like 1.8 times your magic adjust) but even without it it's pretty good.

Tomat

Just got the Dark Wood Grain Ring.

Feels weird moving around like this wearing full Smoughs. I don't think I like it.

dexterslu

2. Summon help if you need it. There are two possible NPC summons there along with a lot of human players trying to farm sunlight medals.

Victory! Pine Gold Resin and Bandit Knife was exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Sunlight Blade is good. Obviously gets better with more faith (I think it's like 1.8 times your magic adjust) but even without it it's pretty good.

Two?

I think I only ever found one.

So, I just beat Gravelord Nito. Guess that means I've done pretty much everything, assuming when I give all these souls to the Lordvessel it unlocks the final boss. Or is there more down there?

Also, where does
Patches
appear as a merchant? I don't see him at Firelink.

Sullichin

So, I just beat Gravelord Nito. Guess that means I've done pretty much everything, assuming when I give all these souls to the Lordvessel it unlocks the final boss. Or is there more down there?

Once you kill the necessary 4 bosses, yup, you can face the final boss. But it's a good idea to get everything done that you want to before it's locked up again in NG+. Kill NPCs, upgrade your weapons, etc. Your slabs will be gone!

EDIT: Patches should be in firelink near frampt and the catacombs entrance. I remember he was a bit difficult to find

I just started a new character and it's amazing how much easier the beginning areas are once you have experience. I'm at undead parish right now, just trying to keep my level low and co-op the gargoyles and capra demon. So much fun with other players.

Once you kill the necessary 4 bosses, yup, you can face the final boss. But it's a good idea to get everything done that you want to before it's locked up again in NG+. Kill NPCs, upgrade your weapons, etc. Your slabs will be gone!

EDIT: Patches should be in firelink near frampt and the catacombs entrance. I remember he was a bit difficult to find

Alright thanks, can I give all the souls to the Lordvessel first or will that automatically trigger the fight? I've got to go around and buy some armor and more weapons for NG+.

Sullichin

Alright thanks, can I give all the souls to the Lordvessel first or will that automatically trigger the fight? I've got to go around and buy some armor and more weapons for NG+.

You can give the souls to the lordvessel, open the final area (which has a few titanite-dropping knights and is a good place for PVP if you're into that) and even fight the final boss, just don't BEAT the final boss yet and you'll be free to go anywhere.

Wallachia

Dukes seems popular to me (SL72). But yeah, Gaping/Depths seems to be popular at just about any SL, was even getting bites at SL140+.

Lol. Last nite I was summoning and trying to summon and thought the same thing. I'm waiting for a bite. It's just like fishing. And maybe that's why I'm hooked.

I also was recently summoned for the Gargoyle fight. The coolest part was that I was SL60 or so, summoned into a NG+ players' world. Awesome that it connects like that.

So, since the patch, are summonings now NOT limited to being within 10% of your level?? Would be great if that's the case!

Wallachia

It took me until the 2nd NG+ to really see the intricate beauty of the LD of the early game. I mean, it wasn't like I didn't perceive it, thought of it and use its connectedness thoroughly -- but I rarely stopped to take it all in.

How you see, the moment you arrive in Lordran, so much of where you'll be. How peering down from the Burg reveals the whole path of the Lower Burg, Capra's enclosure included. The Parish Church from the Taurus archers tower, then Sen's from Parish Church's tower. Back to Taurus, there's the Garden's path down towards the Hydra. Somewhere along that there's the tunnel that leads into Valley of Drakes, and from there round back the entrance in Blighttown and up to Firelink Shrine. From which you can peer into Blighttown, and see the Great Hollow. And all above, and even lower down below, the second half of the game lays hidden.

It's beautiful.

/edit

And I think The Painted World holds the essence of Dark Souls' use of 3D space, of constantly baiting you with the next vista while also allowing you to see your progression, of constantly rewarding curiosity and exploration while also saying 'hey, it's all optional, you know?'. And it's all neatly packed.

Nice write-up. Totally loved the same! What I am trying to figure out in the long distance views, what are those tall curved walls? Those are NOT in game, right?

Pretty new to the game, not exactly sure what I want to do with my character. I started as the pyromancer and started off by getting my Dex up 12 for the shortbow, faith up to 12 for heal, and strength up to 16 for the drake sword. The game got significantly easier once I got the drake sword, but I'm trying to figure out something more long term. I thought the spear was really, really good when I was using it; I love being able to block while attacking. If I wanted to base my build off of an upgraded spear and light armor going forward, what stats should I be investing in? The lowest level spear apparently scales off of dex at C and Str at D; is that the same for the more powerful spears as well?

- Killed Quelaag, fairly easy but awesome looking boss fight.
- Rang the 2nd bell, looks like I am off to the Parish again as the gate has opened.
- Found the secret room and talked to "egg man"
- He can upgraded my Pyro, rad! I wondered how you did that.
- Joined the Chaos Covenant but she wouldn't talk to me.

Apparently I need a ring to talk to her, is the idea that you visit back later?

So good.

Audioboxer

Did the Titanite Slab drop rate get boosted in patch 1.05 from the Darkwraiths? Tried farming for half an hour and nothing yet.

Also, what crystal lizard in the great hollow drops one?

Really want one to get my demon greataxe to +15 (at +14 just now). Used my stray demon slab on the Greataxe early game.

Thanks

Not in-game related per se, but I just saw Ornstein entering and kneeling before Gwynevere in my PS3 Princess Guard dynamic theme... <3

I am in a lava filled area called Demon Ruins (after killing Quelaag), I think this is far too high level for now. An area to tackle later?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Pretty new to the game, not exactly sure what I want to do with my character. I started as the pyromancer and started off by getting my Dex up 12 for the shortbow, faith up to 12 for heal, and strength up to 16 for the drake sword. The game got significantly easier once I got the drake sword, but I'm trying to figure out something more long term. I thought the spear was really, really good when I was using it; I love being able to block while attacking. If I wanted to base my build off of an upgraded spear and light armor going forward, what stats should I be investing in? The lowest level spear apparently scales off of dex at C and Str at D; is that the same for the more powerful spears as well?

If you're leaning towards spears there's not much of a mandatory stat investment. The only spears that have remotely onerous stat requirements are the Dragonslayer Spear, the Silver Knight Spear, and the Pike, with 24/24, 16/22, and 24/10 Str/Dex requirements respectively. I'm not particularly inclined to regard any of the three as being worth the stat investment on their own.

Spears in general don't get very good stat scaling, so if I were putting together a character with the aim of using them I'd probably focus on either an Int or Faith build and take a spear down a non-scaling upgrade path like Fire, Lightning, or Chaos. That gets you the reach of the spear with decent damage and minimal stat investment, leaving more stat points for Vitality, Endurance, and your offensive stat of choice.

You'll be able to get your hands on a Spear that's been pre-upgraded to the Lightning upgrade path when you reach
Sen's Fortress
, and that's generally regarded as the successor to the Drake Sword in terms of being a powerful weapon available relatively easily. It can comfortably take you to the end of the game if you upgrade it, and a fair number of people do just that on their first playthrough. You can also buy the Demon's Spear from Shiva in Blighttown if you're a member of the Forest Hunters Covenant. It does physical and electrical damage like the Lightning Spear but also has a unique R2 attack and is potentially available as soon as you reach the bottom of Blighttown.

Wallachia

I am in a lava filled area called Demon Ruins (after killing Quelaag), I think this is far too high level for now. An area to tackle later?

Yeah go back there later. Hmm, have you done the Duke's Archives in Anor Londo? What about New Londo Ruins? Or The Catacombs?

Yeah go back there later. Hmm, have you done the Duke's Archives in Anor Londo? What about New Londo Ruins? Or The Catacombs?

Nope.

Depths
Blightown
Quelaag
Rung 2nd bell
Walked down stairs into this place.

I picked up some armour and kicked off a boss fight in Demon Ruins. He's pretty nails!

Anyone know where that merchant who used to be near the entrance to Blighttown in the Depths went? Haven't been down here in a while, and am near end-game.

Tomat

Sif is such a fucking dumb boss. Hurr hurr I can jump ridiculously large distances and have an insane 360 degree attack range.

Wallachia

Sif is such a fucking dumb boss. Hurr hurr I can jump ridiculously large distances and have an insane 360 degree attack range.

He/she is hard, unless you are leveled up enough. But I felt bad for Sif, especially when he was limping and hurt bad towards the end of the fight :(

If you're leaning towards spears there's not much of a mandatory stat investment. The only spears that have remotely onerous stat requirements are the Dragonslayer Spear, the Silver Knight Spear, and the Pike, with 24/24, 16/22, and 24/10 Str/Dex requirements respectively. I'm not particularly inclined to regard any of the three as being worth the stat investment on their own.

Spears in general don't get very good stat scaling, so if I were putting together a character with the aim of using them I'd probably focus on either an Int or Faith build and take a spear down a non-scaling upgrade path like Fire, Lightning, or Chaos. That gets you the reach of the spear with decent damage and minimal stat investment, leaving more stat points for Vitality, Endurance, and your offensive stat of choice.

You'll be able to get your hands on a Spear that's been pre-upgraded to the Lightning upgrade path when you reach
Sen's Fortress
, and that's generally regarded as the successor to the Drake Sword in terms of being a powerful weapon available relatively easily. It can comfortably take you to the end of the game if you upgrade it, and a fair number of people do just that on their first playthrough. You can also buy the Demon's Spear from Shiva in Blighttown if you're a member of the Forest Hunters Covenant. It does physical and electrical damage like the Lightning Spear but also has a unique R2 attack and is potentially available as soon as you reach the bottom of Blighttown.

Interesting. I was considering going down a magic path anyway, so that sounds pretty cool. I know very little about how int and faith based builds work, aside from the fact that presumably you want to invest in attunement to get the spell slots and that I'll need to find some kind of trainer to teach me the offensive spells (I've found the guy who will sell me miracles, but so far I haven't found any pyromancer or other int-based trainers). Any tips?

Tomat

He/she is hard, unless you are leveled up enough. But I felt bad for Sif, especially when he was limping and hurt bad towards the end of the fight :(

I don't, can't wait to smash his shit in.

I managed to kill Ceaseless Discharge (LOVELY name).

I ran down the little alleyway and waited for his attack, felt like that was intended. I was struggling dodging moves with me Elite Armour so equipped the gear that kicks the fight off, the Gold-Hemmed Black set. LOOKS AMAZING! So much easier to run about over the Elite Armour, might keep it for a while.

Not sure whether this route was correct or not, but it certainly led me right to Demon Ruins after the 2nd Bell. I'll see how far I can get through it.

Fuck, the armour set is amazing looking! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom