• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So i finally killed the red dragon on the bridge (bow of pharis +15), and he didn't drop anything? Really?!?

Which reminds me, Woo! I finally got my bow to +15. This thing is a beast!

kaioshade

I don't think so, I have been playing offline with the patch for a while now, I played online a little bit when XBL was free for a weekend. I have had this problem with other games though, the game save won't work unless I am online for some reason.

Wait a second, I'm an idiot, I play Online with Silver account, it just tells me the Mulitplayer access is blocked, but I am still online when I am playing.

That sucks ass. this means no more dark souls. Seriously wtf.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jesus christ. I invade a dude in the forest using the ring. He does something with his hammer that fucking makes the ground explode white and oneshits me, wtf was that?

That was what it's supposed to be like when you invade in the forest. Just a bunch of massively overpowered guys waiting for covenant newbies trying to get their 3 kills.

Booshka

That sucks ass. this means no more dark souls. Seriously wtf.

I'm sure you can play if you start a new character, if you're not too against that, it will allow you to play the game. New characters are really fun to mess with, so don't get too bent out of shape about it, in a few hours you'll be sucked into progressing your new character.

Speaking of new characters, just made the Greatshield of Artorias to complement my True Greatsword of Artorias, and with all Paladin Gear at +5 I need 40 END and Havel's Ring, but the weight is right at 50% so I can have the flip ring for my other slot; perfect.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
how come I see some people in pvp flipping instead of rolling? it looks like the cartwheeling and are very fast. is that an item?

Sullichin

Thanks man. Looks like the only way to do it is to break your Forest Convenant. Any exploits/work arounds discovered or only go for it when you're done in the pvp forest?

I JUST killed him in Blighttown and it broke the covenant. So yeah I don't think there's any way around it. It's an awesome ring though.

Play a long session today exclusively for New Londo + Seath. NG++ is pretty terrible scaling for The Four King, taking forever to die with my Iaito+15 with 53 DEX. Spend probably 3-4 hours trying to beat him and been summoning and getting invaded as well. Sucks when you sumon phantoms and they decide to take the faster way down to the Abyss but messes up spacing and kills themselves. Even the NPC suicides the same way.

Do I need to be human to be invaded in Dark Anor Londo?

You always need to be human to be invaded by other real players, as far as I know. Some NPC's may invade you whether you are human or not though.

Unless that area has some covenant priority or something, I'm not too sure.

Wool

I just killed an invader in the forest named "weekendwarriorfg". Would that be the weekendwarrior from GAF?!? I saw the invasion message and so I turned into some bushes and stood still. He walked right by me, I cast homing soul mass and he died in one hit! I just started this mage character a couple days ago and I'm liking these spells a lot more than the miracles faith has. Chameleon is hilarious.

shiroryu

I just killed an invader in the forest named "weekendwarriorfg". Would that be the weekendwarrior from GAF?!? I saw the invasion message and so I turned into some bushes and stood still. He walked right by me, I cast homing soul mass and he died in one hit! I just started this mage character a couple days ago and I'm liking these spells a lot more than the miracles faith has. Chameleon is hilarious.

Yup, I did the same thing with Chameleon, only as a forest invader. I only had the Great Heavy Soul Arrow, so while it wasn't a one-hit kill, it was enough to throw the host & phantom off and then the treants came in. Rank up and Ring of Fog.

Normally this would be kind of dickish for the invader to do, but because the host can ignore me and run for the boss door if they're looking only to beat Sif, I think it's OK.

Chameleon is a really fun spell; shame it isn't useful in PvE.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Are there any other stamina boosting (speed) items other than childs mask and the grass shield? I'd like to use a different shield lol.

Wool

Are there any other stamina boosting (speed) items other than childs mask and the grass shield? I'd like to use a different shield lol.

Yeah the cloranthy ring and the green blossom (consumable) boost it. I think all 4 of them stack, but don't quote me on that.

I did it. Finished it finally at SL 99, Homing Crystal Soulmassed Gwyn to death. Felt good, man.

Havel's and Moonlight Greatsword made my life so much easier as a Sorc.

UFRA

Once I make Anor Londo dark by killing that certain someone, is there any way to make it light again?

I got a message that popped up which said "Disaster ends with the death of the gravelord servant" or something to that effect.

What does that mean?

Myself and 2 phantoms killed 2 invaders (both were red). We stood around with nothing to do and finally they went back to their homes lol.

Once I make Anor Londo dark by killing that certain someone, is there any way to make it light again?

I got a message that popped up which said "Disaster ends with the death of the gravelord servant" or something to that effect.

What does that mean?

Myself and 2 phantoms killed 2 invaders (both were red). We stood around with nothing to do and finally they went back to their homes lol.

1. Nope. Have to wait til NG+
2. That has to do with the gravelord covenant, I'm not sure if it work yet. I think that message is suppose to appear when you successful find the location of the Gravelord and invade the owner's game to save the other worlds that had been affected with the Gravelord aka Red Phantom Monster.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

What does that mean?

I killed that certain someone and my AL never went dark. Are we thinking of the same person?

Shai-Tan

Banned
That was what it's supposed to be like when you invade in the forest. Just a bunch of massively overpowered guys waiting for covenant newbies trying to get their 3 kills.

one of the first time I went in there I had no idea and had like 5 minute fight with a guy who one shot me when he actually landed. a little bit annoying though when they realize you cant do good damage and just walk through it to backstab. it is kind of fun to wait for more phantom to try to gang up on them. feels like an epic boss fight. i have a zweihander just for messing people up when they arent paying attention

Shai-Tan

Banned

one of the first time I went in there I had no idea and had like 5 minute fight with a guy who one shot me when he actually landed. a little bit annoying though when they realize you cant do good damage and just walk through it to backstab. it is kind of fun anyway to wait for more phantom to try to gang up on them. zweihander is too slow 1 on 1 but I whip it out when theres a bunch of us

sixghost

You need to use your environment to your advantage when you're the Forest invader. Don't let the invadees dictate the terms, wait for additional invaders if you're alone, run away if they chase you. Learn where the strong forest enemies are and use them to help you. The black cats, giant mushrooms, and groups of ents are good.

There will always be dicks that just kill everything and sit by the stairs, so fuck them, just quit out if they don't want to fight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think the next two weapons I take to 15+ will be the Murakumo and the notched whip.

I wish there were Dex/Int weapons that scaled better though.

Booshka

I think the next two weapons I take to 15+ will be the Murakumo and the notched whip.

I wish there were Dex/Int weapons that scaled better though.

If the weapons have bad scaling stats, just take them to Chaos +5 (If you run around with 10 humanity in your counter, otherwise go Fire+10) or Lightning instead. Unless the weapon has A scaling it usually isn't worth it to take it to Normal +15.

UFRA

I killed that certain someone and my AL never went dark. Are we thinking of the same person?

Probably not lol

I killed
Gwynevere - of the Princess Guard covenant (aka the girl with "need chest" messages plastered all over the floor in front of her.)
. I'm guessing you killed
Gwyndolin - of the Darkmoon Blades covenant.

1. Nope. Have to wait til NG+
2. That has to do with the gravelord covenant, I'm not sure if it work yet. I think that message is suppose to appear when you successful find the location of the Gravelord and invade the owner's game to save the other worlds that had been affected with the Gravelord aka Red Phantom Monster.

Ok thanks. That's why I did it now, I only have Lost Izalith and the final boss left to go, so I killed a few covenant leaders that I wasn't going to need just to get firekeeper souls hehe. Although she didn't give one up.

So Anor Londo is now basically reduced to a big PVP arena at this point I guess? I played with some phantoms and we killed at least 6 or 7 invaders and finally we all got tired of waiting and quit lol.

Audioboxer

Finished the game last night as my str/faith combo :)

Instead of ng+ I think I'll start a fresh game as a thief. Think it will be a good challenge and I've not really had a dex build yet. The idea of learning how to parry is one I want to try. Any tips or guides to starting out as a thief to make my life easier?

Also what about stat levelling priorities?

Thanks guys

krakov

Thanks man. Looks like the only way to do it is to break your Forest Convenant. Any exploits/work arounds discovered or only go for it when you're done in the pvp forest?

You can just absolve your sins and rejoin, just did it the other day.

I've been rolling as a Forest Invader for a while now and there seems to plenty of action all day long if you want to. As soon as I put on the ring there's less than one minute between invasions.

Most of the time it's decked out dudes camping around with a friend, which I guess is to be expected these days. I kinda like the challenge and have a lot of patience so it's a lot of fun though. Finally taking down people that troll the forest on a regular basis feels good man. The best thing is that they usually indict you.

Finished the game with my sorcerer yesterday.

I think I'm gonna step back from the game for a while and come back later. I would've played more if the online was less random and more stable.

MrWisker

Audίoboxer;33499583 said:
Bed of chaos, what the fuck is this shit.

The only real boss battle in this game (other then the first Seath battle) where I utilized those rings of sacrifice. Did not want to loss all my humanity I had on a cheesy boss.

MrWisker

If you are early in your game I would not worry about breaking the forest covenant. This covenant becomes much better when you get your SL up to about 120. This will give you a fighting chance to gang up on the PVP campers that simple wait for low level forest invaders.

On my first character I spent hours in the forest covenent invading and got my ass handed to me over and over again. Rejoined on NG++ and spent hours doing my own ass-kicking on the campers.

My recommendation if this is your first playthrough, is to buy any of the weapons you want for the forest merchant in Blightown and then kill the bodyguard for the ring. Then focus on other covenants on your first playthrough and rejoin forest on your NG+'s.

edbrat

Little Dark Souls PSA

For those of you with the Avarice Ring, Avarice Helm, or both, whenever you beat a boss, quickly switch your gear to the ring and helm and you will get a significant experience boost. Once you get the Souls, you can switch back to your normal gear and carry on. I have been doing this all the time now and you get a ton more souls per boss, especially if you are on NG+'s.

what an interesting idea, will try this. Is it ok to quickly put them on after you have killed the boss before the souls register or do you have to do it before striking the killing blow?

EasyMode

I just killed an invader in the forest named "weekendwarriorfg". Would that be the weekendwarrior from GAF?!?

GAF's weekend warrior has a different PSN ID. It would be nice to randomly run into a gaffer in this game, I haven't noticed any familiar names so far.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If the weapons have bad scaling stats, just take them to Chaos +5 (If you run around with 10 humanity in your counter, otherwise go Fire+10) or Lightning instead. Unless the weapon has A scaling it usually isn't worth it to take it to Normal +15.

I mean I want ones that scale well with both int and dex. The Iato, notched whip and murakumo all scale awesome with dex. I also have the moonlight great sword which scales awesome with int, but I don't have a single weapon that would really take advantage of a int/dex build.

malfcn

Augh.

Found Sif last night. Spent over an hour trying to beat him last night and couldn't do it. Partially because I was so tired that I died half the time getting to him (running off cliff because I fell asleep).

His patterns are easy to recognize. He spins twice counter-clock, and slashes back and forth clock-wise. But some bullshit happens every time. The first time I fought him I got him to less than half. Most of the time I get him to within a few slashes and then my weapon stops hitting him. Literally I am under him slashing 4 times and not one will land. Then he will spin around and without hitting me just kill me. Very frustrating.

Sullichin

Is it a bug that in Dark Anor Londo, if you die, you always spawn back at the first AL bonfire, regardless if you've rested at the others in Anor Londo? It's very annoying, considering in Dark Londo you can't even rest at this bonfire or turn human, and the action is usually far away. Homeward bone takes you to that bonfire too :(

tc farks

I died like 8 straight times at the area in New Londo before the Abyss. I'm getting tired of warping to firelink shrine (no bonfire) and running through the Valley of the Drakes. I hope I can just win the boss fight the 1st time spamming sorcery spells cause I wanna be done with this place.

I made my 1st divine weapon as I'm gonna go to the catacombs next. I used the morning star hammer. It sucked. I have to find a better weapon before I go there. I have plenty, but few that work with my 16 strength and 12 dex.

Sullichin

I died like 8 straight times at the area in New Londo before the Abyss. I'm getting tired of warping to firelink shrine (no bonfire) and running through the Valley of the Drakes. I hope I can just win the boss fight the 1st time spamming sorcery spells cause I wanna be done with this place.

I made my 1st divine weapon as I'm gonna go to the catacombs next. I used the morning star hammer. It sucked. I have to find a better weapon before I go there. I have plenty, but few that work with my 16 strength and 12 dex.

Did you know that you don't have to go through Valley of Drakes? It's a really straightforward run from Firelink -> Drained New Londo -> The Abyss. It's even pretty easy to run past all of the enemies. Seems like it would be a less frustrating run to the boss. In my experience spamming sorcery won't work that well against that boss. Equip the heaviest armor you have, 2H your best weapon, cast homing soulmass when you can.

Which reminds me that the SL1 New Londo (NG++++++++ or some such madness) video posted a couple pages back is INSANE.

krakov

Just go the regular route into New Londo, run past the first ghosts and go right at the first set of stairs. You can jump down there and be only a few darkwraiths from the boss. I would probably rather go the long way through the ghosts than through those shitty dragons.

lunlunqq

The only real boss battle in this game (other then the first Seath battle) where I utilized those rings of sacrifice. Did not want to loss all my humanity I had on a cheesy boss.

SHIT!!! I totally forgot those damn rings of sacrifice and am hesitating to go to Seath because of the 14 souls I'm carrying with me... That bitch is going down then.

lunlunqq

you need elemental weapons. lighting or fire. they hit much harder than any scaling weapons at your level. based on your status, an elemental greatsword (bastard sword, claymore, flamberge) katana (uchi) or halberd should do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom