• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
you can kill him without taking any damage.

as soon as he wakes up, run back to the fog door and wait for him to slam his fists on the ground, then you attack couple times and he will die instantly. not sure if its a bug or not.
You have to be seen by Ceaseless Discharge while standing besides the altar where you found the armor for this technique to work. Then you have to run back to the fog gate, he'll extend his arm and with 2-3 hits he'll fall to his death.

2AdEPT

What SL you playing at? I have a trident at SL25 and one at ~SL136. Just got home so I gotta go freshen up and then I can be on. PSN id is spazmat

I got one at 111 or 28 but after playing skyrimand witcher I have lost my ability for my beloved souls...getting destroyed...lost 99 humanity and 150k foer nothing in firelink...falling off ledges its so bad! Pressing all the withcer buttons insread of r1 and 2, and since I haven't touched my ps3 controller for months since the soccer billets took my machine over...the controller is as loose as whistling wendy's ........well .....you know. ;p

Dyno

Did some clean up last night. Killed Gwynolin (a very interesting story, that one has) and then killed his Darkmoon Fire Keeper. Went through the Valley of the Drakes, and made a +5 Dragon Tooth (why not, right?) Then I Sunbro'd it for a while in Lost Izalith to gain a couple levels, fed a bunch of old items to Frampt, and then bought a few Transient Curses.

Nothing left to do but go down to New Londo and have a word with those Four Kings I've been hearing so much about. They won't like me, oh no.

Sullichin

Yeah too bad the tin banishment catalyst is all but useless. There's no point where it would be the best catalyst to use as far as I know. According to the Wiki:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Magic+Adjustment said:
Int 12-26: Oolacile Catalyst
Int 27-40: Sorcerer's/ Beatrice's/ Izalith
Int 41+: Logan's
Int 32+: TCC
TCC is the strongest for all levels above 32. If you are comfortable with halving your number of castings, go with this one. Otherwise, go with either Sorcerer's (and equivalents) or Logan's, depending whether you are above or bellow 41 Int.

It's too bad that I never really have a reason to use most of the catalysts I pick up.

Alucrid

Banned
Did some clean up last night. Killed Gwynolin (a very interesting story, that one has) and then killed his Darkmoon Fire Keeper. Went through the Valley of the Drakes, and made a +5 Dragon Tooth (why not, right?) Then I Sunbro'd it for a while in Lost Izalith to gain a couple levels, fed a bunch of old items to Frampt, and then bought a few Transient Curses.

Nothing left to do but go down to New Londo and have a word with those Four Kings I've been hearing so much about. They won't like me, oh no.

They were push overs :p

Jarlaxle

So I was able to get through the 2 arrow assholes in Anor Londo last night finally. I did it on my fourth try. Once I passed that part, the rest of the level was really easy. I actually beat the boss without any summons on my first try. Lit the bonfire and decided to go back and do some jolly cooperation to help others since I had heard this was a hard fight. Of course the host didn't heal me once and I still almost prevailed but wound up dying near the end. I imagine the host still won since the remaining boss didn't have too much health left.

I'm really not sure where I'm going to go next now.

So I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out Sen's Fortress. When I finally got to the top I found this archer dude who fights like me. When I killed him, YOU DIED appeared on the screen.

The fuck happened?! Was this a glitch, or is it one of Sen's traps? Because it's motherfucking bullshit either way arrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhgddddddddddddh;ldshgalk;h....

Mike M

Nick N
So I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out Sen's Fortress. When I finally got to the top I found this archer dude who fights like me. When I killed him, YOU DIED appeared on the screen.

The fuck happened?! Was this a glitch, or is it one of Sen's traps? Because it's motherfucking bullshit either way arrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhgddddddddddddh;ldshgalk;h....
Did you trade blows with little to no health left? That'd do it.

Sullichin

Crystal Magic Weapon vs Darkmoon Blade? Currently have 32 INT and debating if it's worth investing in FAI.

I'd go with CMW unless you're already pretty close to having 30 faith. But maxing out both FAI and INT means you'd have to sacrifice another stat unless you're leveling up like crazy. You also need to be in the darkmoon covenant to use DMB.

So I got to lost izaleth wtf at those leg dinos

They used to actually be annoying, post-patch you can just run past them pretty easily.

randomwab

Been using the Drake Sword as my primary weapon so far, but around level 37 now and it's starting to be ineffective. Recommendations for something to replace it with?

Current Stats:
Level 38 Wanderer
Vitality 18
Attunement 11
Endurance 22
Strength 18
Dexterity 16
Resistance 17
Intelligence 11
Faith 8

Sullichin

Been using the Drake Sword as my primary weapon so far, but around level 37 now and it's starting to be ineffective. Recommendations for something to replace it with?

A weapon at +10 will outclass Drake Sword.

1) Find a weapon with a move set you like. Have you tried out any of the katanas like the Iaito (found in blighttown) or Uchigatana (kill the burg merchant)? The balder side sword, any halberds? Claymore? Clubs? These are just some weapons I like, there's tons, and they're all pretty viable when upgraded.

2) Obtain the minimum stats for using the weapon. From here you've got a bunch of options. Assuming it's a regular weapon you upgrade with titanite:

3) Upgrade to +5 [can do this right away]. From here you can make chaos or fire weapons in the Catacombs . Then max out chaos (+5) or fire (+10) path. [chaos ember / large flame ember needed]
OR
3) Upgrade to +10 [requires large ember]. From here you can make it a lightning weapon in Anor Londo. Then max out the lightning path (+5)
OR
3) Upgrade it to +15 [requires large ember, very large ember]. Use this option if you chose a weapon that scales well with a stat like STR or DEX. For example, demon's great machete scales well with strength, balder side sword scales with dex, etc. THEN level up the stat that the damage scales with. If you went with fire/chaos/lightning, don't go beyond the minimum requirements for the weapon as scaling won't be a factor anymore. A weapon with only C/D/E scaling (halberds, zweihander, etc) is probably better off as a chaos/lightning than +15.
Then, with a +15 weapon, enchant it with crystal magic weapon, darkmoon blade, or sunlight blade.

OR
3) If it's a weapon that uses twinkling titanite/demon titanite/dragon scales, upgrade it all the way and level up the stat it scales with. My favorite unique weapons: Chaos Blade, Moonlight Greatsword, Black Knight Great Axe

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh my word, I never even thought about this. What an amazingly devious ploy!

There's still so much I have yet to try in this game. Feels like I will never be truly done with it. Next I think I want to try a Faith-concentrated build. Fancy wielding some of those lightning bolts as a Sunbro and such. What's the most common way to approach a Faith build? STR/DEX weapons? When all else fails, pump VIT or END?

It's one of the two fun ways of using Undead Rapport that I found. The other is to use it on the giant guys in Blighttown when an invasion message pops up. Invaders tend to get caught completely off guard when the enemies in the world they invaded suddenly start ruining their shit.

Faith builds aren't really all that complicated unless it's a Grant build. If you've ever run a Sorcery build it's basically the same idea except swapping out Int for Faith and Sorcery for Miracles. I like to put my stats to the bare minimum necessary for a decent weapon and take it down the Chaos path pre-Sen's and then focus entirely on Faith, Vitality, and Endurance until all three hit around 30, then I start to make my decisions regarding whether or not I want to focus on pure Miracle casting with a non-scaling weapon or try to pump my Strength or Dex enough to wield something like Ricard's Rapier or another high-stat weapon.

Yeah too bad the tin banishment catalyst is all but useless. There's no point where it would be the best catalyst to use as far as I know.

The main attraction of the Tin Banishment Catalyst is that it's an acceptably competent melee weapon. If you're using a character focused primarily on Sorcery for offensive power it removes the need to have a real weapon as a fallback. One character I made used it exclusively all the way up to
the Anor Londo blacksmith
without any real difficulty. It saved on equip weight and it did the job well enough for when I wanted to finish off a near-death enemy without using up a spell casting. Just poke it with the catalyst and move on.

It's got a pretty narrow window of applicability consisting more or less entirely of pure Sorcerer builds trying to pump Int at the cost of all other stats, but it's not entirely useless.

Sullichin

I would say there is many weapons that outclass it at +5 such as Sweihander and Claymore. Both you can get very early.

True, a +5 Zweihander with even minimal scaling bonus would be better. No reason to stick with the drake sword once you know how upgrading weapons work.

Speaking of upgrading weapons I'm playing Demon's now and making a weapon that scales with magic seems to work much better in that game. Made a crescent uchigatana that has A scaling with magic. That's what I'm talking about. Magic/enchanted paths in this game are comparatively useless.

The main attraction of the Tin Banishment Catalyst is that it's an acceptably competent melee weapon. If you're using a character focused primarily on Sorcery for offensive power it removes the need to have a real weapon as a fallback. One character I made used it exclusively all the way up to
the Anor Londo blacksmith
without any real difficulty. It saved on equip weight and it did the job well enough for when I wanted to finish off a near-death enemy without using up a spell casting. Just poke it with the catalyst and move on.

It's got a pretty narrow window of applicability consisting more or less entirely of pure Sorcerer builds trying to pump Int at the cost of all other stats, but it's not entirely useless.

Ah, didn't really think of its viability as a melee weapon. That's cool. it's been useless in any build I've made, though. There's so many different ways to play through this game.

ixix

Ah, didn't really think of its viability as a melee weapon. That's cool. it's been useless in any build I've made, though. There's so many different ways to play through this game.

It's only got 145 physical attack power, but its Str/Dex reqs are only 10/10 which makes it way more attractive than, say, the Drake Sword or Astora's Straight Sword as an immediately-available, decently-powerful weapon for a build that's going almost pure Int. The attack is a poke with decent speed and range and it weighs less than most Sorcerer's Catalyst + melee weapon configurations, which means less need for early-game Endurance which means oh boy even more Intelligence.

The Demon's Catalyst and Tin Crystallization Catalyst are actually somewhat similar, in that they've got some modicum of bite to their physical attacks compared to the almost vestigial damage ratings of the other catalysts.

A pure Int build using a Tin Banishment Catalyst -> Moonlight Butterfly Horn -> Moonlight Greatsword weapon progression is one of the builds I'm seriously considering using when the PC version comes out. It needs no grinding whatsoever to become powerful, and I think I can have it built up to a point where I'll feel confident taking on the new content and getting my hands on those delectable new item descriptions in 2-3 hours.

Dyno

So I got to lost izaleth wtf at those leg dinos

That was the only enemy that I couldn't figure out an easy way to kill them. You can't get into melee with them without getting hurt quite a bit. Did you find the second bonfire yet? Fortunately they don't respawn so if you can find the bonfire then you can fight most of them from that location. Draw them in with bows and then fight them. If they kill you at least the bonfire and your soul are right there.

Also now that you are there, the second bonfire is a good place to assist other players. I've always enjoyed a short summon wait in that location.

Alucrid

Banned
That was the only enemy that I couldn't figure out an easy way to kill them. You can't get into melee with them without getting hurt quite a bit. Did you find the second bonfire yet? Fortunately they don't respawn so if you can find the bonfire then you can fight most of them from that location. Draw them in with bows and then fight them. If they kill you at least the bonfire and your soul are right there.

Also now that you are there, the second bonfire is a good place to assist other players. I've always enjoyed a short summon wait in that location.

Yep, just got done with that boss. They were a bit of a pain and I only cleared the ones I needed to. I'll try being summoned there soon.

MechaX

Bleh. My friend's wife got mad at him and ended up reformatting his entire PS3. And I think he was at Nito or Seath and about 70 hours in.

He might want some help in co-op when he decides to pick it up again, but the only reason I started to roll with a new character was to help him out at lower levels. Unrelated, I came across the Bottomless Box glitch, where you can get one character's BB items on a new character's BB if certain conditions are met (characters on each of the ten saves I think).

Yeah, it's a glitch and highly abusable, but I'm strongly considering using this just to expedite the early game a bit, and definitely not for griefing purposes. For anyone here who knows how the BB glitch operates, for the character that will be used as a "mule" (the one who gets all the items copied), will the mule's items in the BB just be straight up gone on that character, or is it just duplicated on over to the chosen new character without repercussions?

Bleh. My friend's wife got mad at him and ended up reformatting his entire PS3. And I think he was at Nito or Seath and about 70 hours in.

He might want some help in co-op when he decides to pick it up again, but the only reason I started to roll with a new character was to help him out at lower levels. Unrelated, I came across the Bottomless Box glitch, where you can get one character's BB items on a new character's BB if certain conditions are met (characters on each of the ten saves I think).

Yeah, it's a glitch and highly abusable, but I'm strongly considering using this just to expedite the early game a bit, and definitely not for griefing purposes. For anyone here who knows how the BB glitch operates, for the character that will be used as a "mule" (the one who gets all the items copied), will the mule's items in the BB just be straight up gone on that character, or is it just duplicated on over to the chosen new character without repercussions?

The way how it works, is just duplicate anything in the BB from the previous character, you don't even have to delete your character that has the BB you want to bring over to a new character.

It's a great way to create different kinds of build.

Zertez

If you dont want to glitch or worry about it possibly glitching a later, start with the Thief class and pick the black bombs as the gift. The black bombs will help you get through the first boss easy. Choose Thief because they start with master key and you can get the black bombs. Use souls to buy firebombs and a decent weapon/shield when you get to the undead merchant. Fire bombs make killing tough mobs early on very easy. Co-op the Garg boss and you should have a solid start. Everything should go pretty quickly the second time around up till Anor Londo, outside of Blighttown.

Mxrz

Pushing myself to snag the platinum for Skyrim, but the combat is so dull at high levels, I just want to play Dark Souls.

For Souls 3, I really wouldn't mind seeing backstab limited to thrusting swords. The p2p / international lag makes it a little bit too common when every one can do it with any weapon.

I'd go with CMW unless you're already pretty close to having 30 faith. But maxing out both FAI and INT means you'd have to sacrifice another stat unless you're leveling up like crazy. You also need to be in the darkmoon covenant to use DMB.

They used to actually be annoying, post-patch you can just run past them pretty easily.

Yeah I think I'll stick with CMW. I wouldn't appreciate having to stay in the darkmoon covenant just to use that spell.

Also I just discovered how amazing the Murakumo is. That weapon is a beast in PvP. Just had some epic 2 vs 2 duels in the forest in the last couple of hours. It hits pretty fast and hard and it also seems to have some stun locking going on. I was combo-ing people to death.

Jarlaxle

It's only got 145 physical attack power, but its Str/Dex reqs are only 10/10 which makes it way more attractive than, say, the Drake Sword or Astora's Straight Sword as an immediately-available, decently-powerful weapon for a build that's going almost pure Int. The attack is a poke with decent speed and range and it weighs less than most Sorcerer's Catalyst + melee weapon configurations, which means less need for early-game Endurance which means oh boy even more Intelligence.

Yeah, I looked up some hints on what to do for a sorcerer right before starting playing and the first thing I did in the game after leaving the asylum was to run down to blighttown and pick this catalyst up and the red hooded outfit. As a sorcerer I only had to add one point to strength and was good to go. It basically one or two hit killed any enemy in the game all the way up to about Sen's Fortress where I started to rely more on my magic and would just switch it in from my normal catalyst when I needed melee. Now I use the lightning staff as my melee weapon but rarely, rarely ever use any melee. More like testing the treasure chests before opening them.

It is kind of strange though that I just finished anor londo and I still have yet to pick up another catalyst. I'm using the one from the beginning of the game. Did I miss some of them or are most of them in levels I just haven't been in yet?

Zertez

It is kind of strange though that I just finished anor londo and I still have yet to pick up another catalyst. I'm using the one from the beginning of the game. Did I miss some of them or are most of them in levels I just haven't been in yet?
Catalyst choices are pretty slim. Im not sure why they bothered to put half of them in game. They are almost useless and as a pure sorcerer build you will use the starting catalyst most the game up till logans or tin crystallization catalyst. Some have ok weapon damage in melee damage, but dont help with spell power over the starting catalyst. The only reason to switch to some catalyst is looks. They do not provide any boost in power, but they look nicer than the plain sorcerer catalyst. Armor and Weapon itemization is pretty bad overall, that is probably my biggest complaint with Dark Souls.

Wow.. after starting the game back when it launched, taking nearly 2 months off and putting over 106 hours into my first playthrough, I finally beat the game!

Gywn Lord of Cinder had me contemplating very bad things, I attempted that fight maybe 25 times until I learned his timing perfectly.

One hell of a game.. as tempting as New Game+ is, I've invested more than enough time into this universe. I'm just proud that I conquered Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls.

Really hoping From Software has more in the pipeline, this is hardcore gaming at its purest and best.

Canova

Banned
logged in to Demon's Souls servers first time since started playing Dark Souls....

saw this message and it just broke my heart.....

a18bb8be.jpg

I only made any meaningful attempts to upgrade and modify weapons in my last 3 hours of the game. Being a novice to upgrading, I went to a FAQ that stated enchanted weapons were among the strongest in the game, as well as the Greatsword of Artorias. I put the time and resources to make an Enchanted Murakamo and Greatsword of Artorias (using the Soul of Sif).. then I realize, these are useless to a strength/tank character that my character is.

I realize now that these weapons are most effective with high INT and Faith.. but if I get my minimum INT and Faith higher, will they become powerful? Or will I have to roll an entirely new character with values of 50 in these categories to truly reap the benefits of the scaling they have?

OR... does anyone have some good suggestions whether they be fire, electricity, etc for any weapons in the game to create something insanely powerful?

Much thanks in advance.

At Anor Londo now. Shit's intense. Weirdly sterile creepy vibes all around.

I know what you mean. It's this giant majestic, royal city on top of the mountain and no one is there except the firekeeper. Completely abandoned, but I guess that's Dark Souls for you.

Phew, just finished the game. I stopped playing the game for a while when I got stuck on
the Four Kings
, but came back and went through the rest of the game. Forgot to take care of everything before finishing the story though, which is a bummer. Ah well. Excellent game -- I hope we get the Prepare To Die content as DLC.

Ending:
The connotations of the two endings are pretty interesting -- went to go read up on them and found out a lot that I didn't know. Still puzzled as to what exactly "Dark" is or means (i.e. the Age of Dark that Gwyn was so afraid of). Maybe Prepare To Die will help out with this, as it seems like Artorias betrayed Gwyn to bring on the Age of Dark. But anyway, that music during the last fight against Gwyn was beautiful; great change of pace. I love duels. Reminded me of Ganon in Wind Waker, though poignant in a different sort of way.

ixix

I only made any meaningful attempts to upgrade and modify weapons in my last 3 hours of the game. Being a novice to upgrading, I went to a FAQ that stated enchanted weapons were among the strongest in the game, as well as the Greatsword of Artorias. I put the time and resources to make an Enchanted Murakamo and Greatsword of Artorias (using the Soul of Sif).. then I realize, these are useless to a strength/tank character that my character is.

I realize now that these weapons are most effective with high INT and Faith.. but if I get my minimum INT and Faith higher, will they become powerful? Or will I have to roll an entirely new character with values of 50 in these categories to truly reap the benefits of the scaling they have?

OR... does anyone have some good suggestions whether they be fire, electricity, etc for any weapons in the game to create something insanely powerful?

Much thanks in advance.

Greatsword of Artorias is only one of the strongest weapons in the game if you used the dragon head glitch to max out all of your stats at 99. At sane levels attainable without glitching it's not particularly good at all.

Enchanted weapons are generally inferior or at best equal to an equivalent non-scaling upgrade path, even on a character with 50 Intelligence.

Your best option weapon-wise is generally to either hit the bare minimum requirements for a decent weapon then make it either Fire, Lightning, or Chaos, or pump a stat that scales well on a weapon you like then take the weapon to +15 and supplement the raw physical damage with either weapon enchantments or resins.

Edit: It occurred to me that the FAQ you read might have actually meant "Enchanted" as being a +15 weapon paired with a weapon enchantment like Darkmoon Blade or Crystal Magic Weapon, and not a weapon upgraded along the Enchanted upgrade path. In which case it's right, but it phrased its advice in a very confusing way.

There are also some outlier options like the Moonlight Greatsword for Intelligence builds, but it doesn't sound like any of those would be applicable to your character.

Yeah, I looked up some hints on what to do for a sorcerer right before starting playing and the first thing I did in the game after leaving the asylum was to run down to blighttown and pick this catalyst up and the red hooded outfit. As a sorcerer I only had to add one point to strength and was good to go. It basically one or two hit killed any enemy in the game all the way up to about Sen's Fortress where I started to rely more on my magic and would just switch it in from my normal catalyst when I needed melee. Now I use the lightning staff as my melee weapon but rarely, rarely ever use any melee. More like testing the treasure chests before opening them.

There's nothing odd about using the Sorcerer's Catalyst for most of the game. There are two superior options to it, both of which you can get in
the Duke's Archive
, as well as several catalysts that are more or less functionally identical to it that the game starts throwing at you with gusto in the later stages.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that the catalysts are victims of time constraints. Some of the descriptions of them seem to hint that they were planned to have some sort of special function, but in game terms they're nothing but a Sorcerer's Catalyst with a different model.

Alucrid

Banned
Goodbye Tomb. You weren't that awful.

Question: Gonna start a Dex character once I beat this using light armor. What weapon should I be using? Uchigtana?

Oh, also, good place to farm for Titanite Chunks? Darkwraiths or the Royal Sentries?

Greatsword of Artorias is only one of the strongest weapons in the game if you used the dragon head glitch to max out all of your stats at 99. At sane levels attainable without glitching it's not particularly good at all.

Enchanted weapons are generally inferior or at best equal to an equivalent non-scaling upgrade path, even on a character with 50 Intelligence.

Your best option weapon-wise is generally to either hit the bare minimum requirements for a decent weapon then make it either Fire, Lightning, or Chaos, or pump a stat that scales well on a weapon you like then take the weapon to +15 and supplement the raw physical damage with either weapon enchantments or resins.

Edit: It occurred to me that the FAQ you read might have actually meant "Enchanted" as being a +15 weapon paired with a weapon enchantment like Darkmoon Blade or Crystal Magic Weapon, and not a weapon upgraded along the Enchanted upgrade path. In which case it's right, but it phrased its advice in a very confusing way.

There are also some outlier options like the Moonlight Greatsword for Intelligence builds, but it doesn't sound like any of those would be applicable to your character.

Thank you ixix! Great advice, gonna probably max out a Murakumo with fire, or maybe a Black Knight Greataxe cause it has decent scaling with strength.

sixghost

Question: Gonna start a Dex character once I beat this using light armor. What weapon should I be using? Uchigtana?

Oh, also, good place to farm for Titanite Chunks? Darkwraiths or the Royal Sentries?

Bandit's Knife is my favorite DEX weapon. The Thief starting gear is great IMO. The target shield makes the parry window much bigger, and it's a huge change of pace from traditional melee characters. Otherwise, any of the katanas, or the great scythe are good.

Canova

Banned

Uchi+15 and Iaito+15 have S-Rank for DEX.

Darkwraiths for chunks, use that dragoncrest ring and bunch of humanities

2AdEPT

logged in to Demon's Souls servers first time since started playing Dark Souls....

saw this message and it just broke my heart.....

a18bb8be.jpg

holy fuck that is depressing.....no replacement NPC invaders or fun friends like Solaire either.....not sure I can deal with this. No more variability or surprises for Old Monk....won't be the same game for me at all.

AEGISX

Banned

Current Stats:
Level 38 Wanderer
Vitality 18
Attunement 11
Endurance 22
Strength 18
Dexterity 16
Resistance 17
Intelligence 11
Faith 8

OMG people, stop putting points into Resistance!

Uchi+15 and Iaito+15 have S-Rank for DEX.

Wait wha? Uchi and Iaito +15 are both A scaling, none of the katana in this game have S scaling (Chaos Blade SHOULD be effing S scaling but it isn't).

EDIT: In fact, the only S scale DEX weapons I can think of are Priscilla's Dagger (which is junk) and Black Bow of Pharis. That really shouldn't be the case. :/

OMG people, stop putting points into Resistance!

Yeah no need for Resistance, it's pretty much a rubbish stat that From should make do something more than what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom