• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

The sign will move around with you and appear in the same place as you are standing in your game. You have to be in an area where the boss is still alive for it to work. What SL are we talking about?
I was 35 when I tried it walking from burg to depths....but the no boss thing may have affected that character as both bosses were likely dead for that one. THanks.

Anyone else getting gravelorded more often? Happy to see that my anor londo and duke's archives are frequently teeming with BPs. In someone else's world, I saw a black phantom vagrant in the room with the 3 knights by where Siegmeyer is hiding out. For some reason, it disappeared before I could get to it. Speaking of Siegmeyer, in my many, many playthroughs I have never finished his questline once. Maybe I will on this NG++[+? I'm not sure. Who can remember] run with my sorcerer character. Sorcery is so strong, I got to Anor Londo in no time at all. Shit, I'm just realizing that this means I probably messed up Siegmeyer's quest already. I didn't encounter him as I ran through Sen's, so he probably never made it to Anor Londo.

Yeah I got a lot of anor and Burg 'gravelorded' time my last two runs through those places it was fun and it inspired me to try it myself...still ahfven't connected yet....but I will. Sigermeyer was one hard guy to please for the slab....plus his daughter don't forget...I only did it once, using this board and the 400 page hardcover book (which can have erronneous info at times) and the hardest part since then has been the octopus things...I actually did it right only the once and fought alongside sigermeyer...clearing out a head of time for me the last two times has backfired as ALL the octopuses fell down holes and there were none left and he gave me the specked ring instead of fighting himself.

Yeah, even a bit more actually but I'm never doing that again.

Until the next Souls-game comes out.

Yeah the PC thingy this August can't come soon enough.... I need new content....but I am going to try to spread out the searching....may have to stop coming on here for a while as I want to find every last passage and item myself for a change.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do blue phantoms have to invade up the same as red? I've run into some blueys today using top level spells - the stuff you get from Logan in Dukes, and I haven't even got the Lord Vessel yet, this is seeing these spells when I was level 35~40. Getting one-hit killed by them isn't too much fun when you're just wandering through Sen's Fortress back to the blacksmith :/

Sullichin

Do blue phantoms have to invade up the same as red? I've run into some blueys today using top level spells - the stuff you get from Logan in Dukes, and I haven't even got the Lord Vessel yet, this is seeing these spells when I was level 35~40. Getting one-hit killed by them isn't too much fun when you're just wandering through Sen's Fortress back to the blacksmith :/

i believe darkmoons can invade slightly above their level and any lower level, but I could be wrong. I know I have been invaded by pretty powerful darkmoons at low level before. Considering you have to have pretty high INT to use those spells they are probably higher leveled than you.

Had a crazy co-op session in anor londo. First I get summoned when I'm almost at the boss door. I help them beat the boss and then I return to my world to find that it's gravelorded. I lose 120k souls or so as i'm running away from at least 4 (!) BP silver knights. Back at the bonfire I see that it's really difficult to get to the boss by myself. I didn't have the shortcut open and there's BP silver knights everywhere that can pretty much kill me in one hit. So I summon two phantoms. I get invaded, we kill the invader. Somehow me and the two phantoms get split up. One dies to a BP silver knight (I assume). I summon another one and we beat O&S pretty instantly. My Anor Londo is now dark and infected with these ultra powerful BP silver knights and sentinels. It's awesome. :D

Does anyone know if the BP enemies scale with NG+ cycles like the normal ones do?
Oh it's not something you've made up, DkSGAF surely remembers what happened.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36925741&postcount=73

There you go, summed the whole story up if you're up for a read :3

Never forget! I assume you didn't hurt yourself upon Diablo 3's release, but I see you still marathoned that!

Had a crazy co-op session in anor londo. First I get summoned when I'm almost at the boss door. I help them beat the boss and then I return to my world to find that it's gravelorded. I lose 120k souls or so as i'm running away from at least 4 (!) BP silver knights. Back at the bonfire I see that it's really difficult to get to the boss by myself. I didn't have the shortcut open and there's BP silver knights everywhere that can pretty much kill me in one hit. So I summon two phantoms. I get invaded, we kill the invader. Somehow me and the two phantoms get split up. One dies to a BP silver knight (I assume). I summon another one and we beat O&S pretty instantly. My Anor Londo is now dark and infected with these ultra powerful BP silver knights and sentinels. It's awesome. :D

That's wild. In all my time playing I've yet to see a BP enemy, I've seen the 'disasters are gone..' message a few times, but never anything more, no fair.

You should post your Stats/Equipment here to see if you are doing something wrong.

There are plenty of big mistakes people make in their first playthrough, such as distributing their points poorly, or not upgrading their weapons/armor.

I'll be sure to post my build and everything when I have the time, work's been a bit hectic unfortunately.

Mxrz

Winter, blargh.

Looks like there'll be an portal in Darkroot Basin at the water/golem cave. Another in Lower Burg/Depths? So maybe Painted World style portals?

- Darkwraith does a sweep while two-handing some weapon.
- Sorc girl looks like she hit something with her shoulder?
- New giant skeleton/golem things.

Putting "Need: Hidden path" in the golem/water cave finally paid off!

Sullichin

Some quick and dirty screen grabs from the trailer:

Sx9np.png

USeIu.png

ONsSa.png

8StjR.png

kpv3q.png

New areas look great, can't wait

Mxrz

The lighting in the forest makes me think of the woods in Anor Londo.

But winter? Good grief. That's a buzzkill.

zewone

I wish they would have only used new footage (non from the older areas and bosses).

For a second there, it looked like he was fighting Sif in a new area (or at least, somewhere brighter).

I think it would be cool if there was a way to fight Sif and Artorias at the same time, sort of like Smough and Ornstein.

I wish they would have only used new footage (non from the older areas and bosses).

For a second there, it looked like he was fighting Sif in a new area (or at least, somewhere brighter).

I think it would be cool if there was a way to fight Sif and Artorias at the same time, sort of like Smough and Ornstein.

On NG it might be cool (although Sif himself can be a marathon at lower levels), but NG+ and beyond it would be pure torture. I was severely under leveled for my NG++ SL89 and Sif was a motherfucker to take down, nevermind throwing Artorias into the mix. Difference is, Smough is a total pushover whereas Artorias probably won't be.

Would be cool though as a special condition event.

Dresden

Sif is easy on any ng, just gotta roll harder.

And hey, people were taking sl1 characters into ng+++++/etc!

I wonder if GAF might be down for a sl1 group play thing.

For whatever the reason is, Sif was always one of the hardest bosses for me in this game. I can smash Ornstein and Smough, but the Sif battle always gets me into tight spots. Maybe because I go in and can't quite position myself underneath him well enough and end up eating hits.

Way beyond my commitment level! :p

Maybe if I had more free time I'd try it, there's always the PC version coming up.

With Sif you just need to be super light and have some patience to wait for the right moves to get some counterattacks.

Hyped about the DLC

Oh, I haven't played in over a month, maybe I should just to finish my lvl1 playthrough

Quikies83

Anyone around SL 56 (on PS3) want to throw down a sign at the first bonfire in Tomb of Giants? I'd really like some help. Just got the skull lantern so I'm falling off ledges at every turn but I'm struggling here.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
i have a blue slab on a sl85, if you know a way i could get that over to you?
Still up for trying to coordinate some red sign meeting?

Sign me up. I don't have much experience playing sl1, but I'm competent enough at the game. Just don't get hit by anything, right?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
sure, i can come on right now. i don't have too many places unlocked yet though, nor do i have the lord vessel as i'm in a ng+. oh and i'm actually sl82 if that makes a difference. i'll try to level up in the meantime.
PM'd!

EDIT: Bah, couldn't connect to each other. =/ Sorry for wasting your time, and thanks again!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just wanna say, thanks for the tips guys. I don't really care for PvP, so I'm only going to be making a PvE character. Ive made significant progress recently.

Just freed the pyromancer dude from the sewers. Should I get the fire orb spell for 8000? Anything else of worth from the guy? The other spells seem kinda ass TBH. Is this the only method of upgrading pyromancy? Through upgrading the fireball/orb series over and over?

EDIT: I should mention I have about 8200 souls ATM.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just wanna say, thanks for the tips guys. I don't really care for PvP, so I'm only going to be making a PvE character. Ive made significant progress recently.

Just freed the pyromancer dude from the sewers. Should I get the fire orb spell for 8000? Anything else of worth from the guy? The other spells seem kinda ass TBH. Is this the only method of upgrading pyromancy? Through upgrading the fireball/orb series over and over?
Pyromancy spells are pretty cheap, so you'll probably end up buying them sooner or later. Fire Orb is actually my favorite of all the fireball spells. Does beefy damage and has 6 uses. And no, Pyromancy has quite a bit more than just the fireball spells. =)

Dresden

EDIT: I should mention I have about 8200 souls ATM.

i think he has combustion, which is really good. that said you can skip Pyromancy entirely if you don't want to bother. when the game released, Iron Flesh (one of the spells that can be bought there) was a win-button but that's no longer the case.

you upgrade the damage by upgrading your pyro glove.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pyromancy spells are pretty cheap, so you'll probably end up buying them sooner or later. Fire Orb is actually my favorite of all the fireball spells. Does beefy damage and has 6 uses. And no, Pyromancy has quite a bit more than just the fireball spells. =)
Awesome. I think I'm gonna buy it, love whipping fire at fools. I'm looking at the Sorcery stuff right now and am kinda jelly. Might want to dabble in that too, but level ups are getting expensive for me right now. Like ~7000 per level ATM.

i think he has combustion, which is really good. that said you can skip Pyromancy entirely if you don't want to bother. when the game released, Iron Flesh (one of the spells that can be bought there) was a win-button but that's no longer the case.

you upgrade the damage by upgrading your pyro glove.
Ah okay thanks for the clarification. I think I'll eventually buy those too, but go with this for now.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Awesome. I think I'm gonna buy it, love whipping fire at fools. I'm looking at the Sorcery stuff right now and am kinda jelly. Might want to dabble in that too, but level ups are getting expensive for me right now. Like ~7000 per level ATM.
Haha, too many choices! weknowdatfeel.jpg Enjoy.

Alright, with regards to my previous post, here are my stats:

Lvl: 55
VIT: 19
ATT: 10
END: 31
STR: 23
DEX: 14
RES: 14
INT: 17
FAITH: 9

I'm wearing the Black Iron armour, head to toe, carrying the Drake Sword+2 and Heater Shield+5.

So yeah, its been a few months since I last played. Finished Anor Londo, and am now at the catacombs. Should I try and continue playing or start over? If I start over, I would prefer a hard-hitting, fast moving build who can heal himself with magic. What should I do?

I know I'm asking a lot, so much thanks to whoever steps up to help me out.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. I think I'll eventually buy those too, but go with this for now.

Farm a few levels to dump into Attunement. Get at least 3 slots, preferably 5. So you can have a Chaos Great, Great Fireball, and Great Combustion (with 5 Iron Flesh too). If your going to heavily invest into Pyro, farm at least 3 slots and upgrade your glove to +10. It'll own the whole game, on NG+ I'd suggest +15 or further. Sorry for the misspeak, I meant the Ascended Pyromancy Flame from the Daughter outside the boss lair, it goes to +5 and hits a max of 230 DMG if I remember my Pyro build correctly.

sixghost

I'm wearing the Black Iron armour, head to toe, carrying the Drake Sword+2 and Heater Shield+5.

So yeah, its been a few months since I last played. Finished Anor Londo, and am now at the catacombs. Should I try and continue playing or start over? If I start over, I would prefer a hard-hitting, fast moving build who can heal himself with magic. What should I do?

You're stats seem good, just don't put any more points into resistance(I'm not sure if 14 is the default for any class). Some more VIT would definitely help.

You're at the right SL for that part of the game too. The biggest problem I'd say is your equipment. The Black Iron armor is good, you just need to remember to upgrade it. Chest first, then leggings, then whatever. The Drake Sword and Heater shield really should be replaced by this point. Both of them are great early game weapons, but they are both passed up so quickly by other weapons and shields. I'm not sure which shields are best now since they reworked all their stats, but swap those two things out and focus on upgrading them as much as possible and you should be better off.

The main thing is the Drake Sword though. That thing will destroy the entire game up until Sen's Fortress, then it will become a hindrance no matter how much you upgrade it.

Hope that helps.

2AdEPT

The only things I see that are likely out of whack for you is your equipment. Unless you are big on parrying your defense can come more from a better shield. The key stat is stability. The eagle shield will allow even a naked character to stand their ground...coupled with a wolf ring for poise... You can increase your mobility and still have good defense...poise is something you have with tank armor but your stamina will be hurting even with high endurance. There is no reason to wear that muc tank armor. The chest piece is enough then. Supplement with either the gold hemmed or antiquated skirt for fire/poison and better magic defense. You can use rings toget you equip burden and yo will want these if you keep your strength base as your weapon should weigh more than you do if you pump Str. You could go magic with this character with those stats and two hand str weapons but you can't heal wit magic ...only faith. The estus can be enhanced but really it would be unwieldy to just equip a talisman and spell slot for healing...humanity heals as well and is a good backup to estus. Many glitched coopers will give divine blessings ..these are great if youget them but rare. If you want faith for healing that bad you could start over and be a faith based sunlight or darkmoon blade...these are my favourite but each to own.
If you keep this character get rid of drake..any biggish sword or axe will crush it once upgraded. Black kight weapons are favourites but I like scythes and halberd too. Zweihander or claymore can be made chaos or lightning most bk weapons can not be buffed. For catacombs you can either slowly pick off the skellies with a divine weapon or just mash them and move forward to kill their ring leader who resurrects them. Some poise is good as they gang up on you but a stable shield and wide range horizontal swinging weapon will help most. If you have occult club you can down grade it to divine. That's all I can do on BB tonight..good luck!

Anyone around SL 56 (on PS3) want to throw down a sign at the first bonfire in Tomb of Giants? I'd really like some help. Just got the skull lantern so I'm falling off ledges at every turn but I'm struggling here.
Skull Lantern is useless, if you visit Lost Izalith first you can get a clothing item that will help in TOG and free up that hand slot the lantern is taking.

Kyuur

Managed to play co-op with a friend for most of yesterday, finished Blighttown and Sen's Fortress in both our worlds, so good. This game is really fun and kind of addicting in a "I NEED TO OVERCOME THIS" kind of way. Also, I hate Sen's Fortress. Well, the first half anyways. Those swinging blades and boulders... oh how many times we died and wasted humanity with those. We were also getting invaded constantly the hour or so, around SL40. Mostly by people who seemed to be further in the game than us as well, as they had fire weapons which I have no idea where to get/forge. Getting one-two shotted is fun. :<

Soulhouf

as they had fire weapons which I have no idea where to get/forge.

After Queelag you can get the chaos ember and make awesome chaos weapons before you tackle Sen's Fortress. Chaos weapons are stronger than fire weapons if you manage to have at least 10 active humanities.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Skull Lantern is useless, if you visit Lost Izalith first you can get a clothing item that will help in TOG and free up that hand slot the lantern is taking.
Skull Lantern shows you the way to go with glowing dots on the walls. For this, I definitely recommend it when you're still learning the layout. And The Lost Izalith item isn't guaranteed (what if he doesn't kill it?)

Quikies83

Skull Lantern shows you the way to go with glowing dots on the walls. For this, I definitely recommend it when you're still learning the layout. And The Lost Izalith item isn't guaranteed (what if he doesn't kill it?)

Skull Latern has been pretty valuable to me thus far -- like I said, I'm not falling off ledges anymore :) and the blue dots on the walls are tremendous help.
I've taken care of Lost Izalith -- honestly didn't explore too much but I did knock out the area and the boss. What's the name of the item you guys are referring to? I would like to be able to free up a hand instead of having to switch to a shield in darkness.

Skull Latern has been pretty valuable to me thus far -- like I said, I'm not falling off ledges anymore :) and the blue dots on the walls are tremendous help.
I've taken care of Lost Izalith -- honestly didn't explore too much but I did knock out the area and the boss. What's the name of the item you guys are referring to? I would like to be able to free up a hand instead of having to switch to a shield in darkness.

Sunlight Maggot, the little enemies in the shortcut path drop it but I have only gotten it once or twice in my runs.

Quikies83

I'd really like to do some co-op for the remaining areas on this run (my first run). I would imagine I'm nearly done: I've yet to enter Dukes Archives or Crystal Caves.. I need to kill Seath, Gravelord Nito, and Gwyn.. I've also left Dark Sun Gwyn, and two of the optional bosses in Demons Ruins.
Would anyone be interested in gaming today/tonight??

Quikies83

Anyone have any tips for the Gaping Dragon?

Take the spellcaster out up top first. Then just keep your distance from Gaping until he lays flat - you'll have time for one or two hits before he starts crawling and then time for two or three hits once he stops crawling. Important thing is to keep distance from him when his upper body is raised. This is honestly one of the easier boss battles in the game. Just memorize his attacks and stay away from him when His body is raised up (or raised back).
Another good time to strike him is when he chomps down on the ground - probably time for 2 or 3 good two handed swings each time he gets stuck after biting down on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom