• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten a Sunlight Maggot every playthrough, so I'm almost certain it's a 100% drop rate every time - that is the first time you enter the shortcut, there's one of the little critters on the Lost Izalith side that looks different to the others, that's the one that drops it.

The Skull Lantern though, I didn't know about the dots on the wall, I've never used it since I always had a SM, will have to try it next time I'm down there - I was just thinking it's a useless item since it takes away one hand from using a weapon/shield.

Actually, I was down in TOG last night for the ember and a blue phantom spawned in the pit where the ember is, I almost shit myself since I was on the ledge chucking fire at the skeletons - what an evil place to spawn!

Alright, with regards to my previous post, here are my stats:

Lvl: 55
VIT: 19
ATT: 10
END: 31
STR: 23
DEX: 14
RES: 14
INT: 17
FAITH: 9

I'm wearing the Black Iron armour, head to toe, carrying the Drake Sword+2 and Heater Shield+5.

So yeah, its been a few months since I last played. Finished Anor Londo, and am now at the catacombs. Should I try and continue playing or start over? If I start over, I would prefer a hard-hitting, fast moving build who can heal himself with magic. What should I do?

I know I'm asking a lot, so much thanks to whoever steps up to help me out.

Yeah, that's a really bad skill point spread, as is your choice of weapon and armor. But don't get down on yourself, that happens to everyone their first playthrough. Problems I see- You have 17 INT but only 10 ATT, which means 1 slot, to use magic. It's rarely smart to middle with magic, either go in hard, or ignore it completley, 17 points is wasteful. STR and DEX should only be high enough to use your weapons of choice. RES should never up increased, high END is nice, but not at the cost of low VIT.

And your equipment, I don't know what to say about that. The Black Iron Armor is good if you upgrade it, but you can get similar protection from a lighter set and not give up mobility. I'm not even sure how you got to Anor Londo still using a Drake Sword and Heater shield.

I would start over if I were you. Start with a Knight class, upgrade Faith to 12 and buy the heal miricle. Use weapons in the 16-24 STR range (bastard sword, claymore, halberd, zweihander) and a larger shield (stability is the most important factor of a shield). Spend most upgrade points on VIT, only upgrade STR and DEX when you find a new weapon you want to use (don't bother with any weapon that requires higher then 24 STR). And don't forget to always upgrade weapons and armor at the blacksmith, and use pine resins until you can modify your weapons with fire and lightning (need +5 weapons to upgrade tofire at catacombs blacksmith, +10 to upgrade to lightning at Anor Londo blacksmith).

After watching this thread all day, It makes me want to jump back into the game. I think I left off at Ornstein & Smough. Why oh why did I stop playing.

Soulhouf

Sunlight Maggot, the little enemies in the shortcut path drop it but I have only gotten it once or twice in my runs.

I had a bad luck during my SL2 run and I didn't get the sunlight maggot. TotG was hell a lot harder that way.
In addition I had only 1 attunement slot so what I did is equip the ring that adds 1 slot + dusk crown and killed the skeletons with fire balls.

Mxrz

Should I try and continue playing or start over? If I start over, I would prefer a hard-hitting, fast moving build who can heal himself with magic. What should I do?

If you just want to finish the game and PvE/Co-op, not much point restarting. if you care about pvp, then you won't have the most optimal build at any standard sl-range. But it isn't too bad. Raising Resistance is general waste. Its still workable -- This would be 'okay' for general co-op/pvp using those stats: a basic strength / CMW buff build. Or a go with more health & a Black Knight weapon, and use GMW weapon on a backup weapon. These aren't your only choices, but just off the top of my head. There's enough room before sl-120/125 for another spell slot or two.

I've been using pieces of the black iron armor lately, but its more for looks/poise. Its not bad by any means, but its not as good as the Giants-Mask-derpiness. But we all should be awesome and not use that lame stuff. -- Drake sword is crappy. Your starter weapon at +5 is better. - Weapon choice should influence your STR/Dex scores.

Reeeeeeeally don't want to farm up 99 humanity on two of my old characters. Guh. I've been spoiled by the dupe glitch.

I invaded yesterday evening, and had another Darkwraith load in behind me. I thought it was funny, so I set out after the host. Just as I get into range, the other darkwraith stunlocked me. It was a fucking typical Havels, Lightning Zweihänder, flippy, derp mask too. I hope the nerf the fuck out of that stuff in the DLC patch, but who am I kidding.

2AdEPT

Anyone have any tips for the Gaping Dragon?

if you use Humanity and reverse hollow at the bonfire you can get up to two NPC helpers if you did things in the corect order. You should be able to get soliare no matter what as long as you talked to him after taurus and additionally Lautrec if you saved him from the cell in the parish with mystery key and talked to him in firelink. YOu can have him help for gargoyles and gaping. THe fact that gaping has two NPC helpers available tells me the developers thoughtt htat this was a boss that should be coo-op'd so no harm in hiring regular coopers as well - they will be at the bonfire usually....ironically he is one of the easiert to solo though. Others have said what to do .....just stay back, use ranged attacks, then when you run out of magic two hand your weapon after he does a move, then retreat. rinse repeat. I have never chose to solo him though as he has a lot of health...would take too long even though I know I could do it solo...... why waste time?

edit: remember he is a tail weapon boss and this is the weakest point on him anyway...once you chop his tail then just focus on the stump and he will go down eventually.

Arkain

I'm at Anor Londo right now and I was having a great time, until I hit a snag: input delay.
Sometimes my character only starts drinking from his estus flask several seconds after I pressed the button. The same happens from time to time for attacks. I heard about input delay being a problem right after launch, but I though they fixed it, no?

krakov

if you use Humanity and reverse hollow at the bonfire you can get up to two NPC helpers if you did things in the corect order. You should be able to get soliare no matter what as long as you talked to him after taurus and additionally Lautrec if you saved him from the cell in the parish with mystery key and talked to him in firelink. YOu can have him help for gargoyles and gaping. THe fact that gaping has two NPC helpers available tells me the developers thoughtt htat this was a boss that should be coo-op'd so no harm in hiring regular coopers as well - they will be at the bonfire usually....ironically he is one of the easiert to solo though. Others have said what to do .....just stay back, use ranged attacks, then when you run out of magic two hand your weapon after he does a move, then retreat. rinse repeat. I have never chose to solo him though as he has a lot of health...would take too long even though I know I could do it solo...... why waste time?

edit: remember he is a tail weapon boss and this is the weakest point on him anyway...once you chop his tail then just focus on the stump and he will go down eventually.

Both helpers are completely useless though and generally makes the fight harder rather than easier. My tip for gaping dragon would be to observe his attacks for a while, should make it extremely easy to beat him. Though he has quite a bit of HP, so don't get greedy.

Robot Pants

I'm at Anor Londo right now and I was having a great time, until I hit a snag: input delay.
Sometimes my character only starts drinking from his estus flask several seconds after I pressed the button. The same happens from time to time for attacks. I heard about input delay being a problem right after launch, but I though they fixed it, no?

This is one thing I hate about the game. If it was supposed to be fixed from a patch, it definitely hasn't been on my game.

Wowbagger

The input delay is a real bummer. I've had actions delayed by as much as ten seconds after the patches. Seems it only happens when trying to perform an action right after lowering a shield. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often; would completely ruin the game if it did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try to keep this short.

I bought this game, played a little bit of it, and was confused as hell. I really have no ideas what's going on. I progress to the second (?) bon fire. It's the first one outside of the asylum, I think. It's been two weeks since I last played, so my memory is fuzzy.

Anyways, in the course of those two weeks, I had some family visit from out of town. I'm pretty sure my little cousin loaded up my save and attacked the guy who was sitting on the ground near the second bon fire. I'm pretty sure it was that guy cause the guy who was sitting on the ground isn't there any more, and now there's some dude attacking me every time I respawn.

Long story short, I try to fight the guy a few times. Get massacred. Then I jump off a cliff, laughing to myself, with the intention of just starting a new file from scratch on respawn. But then I respawn, and... the guy is gone! He jumped off the cliff after me!

So, my question: Was that guy somehow crucial to the game? Will I be significantly hindered with him dead?

Akainu

I'll try to keep this short.

I bought this game, played a little bit of it, and was confused as hell. I really have no ideas what's going on. I progress to the second (?) bon fire. It's the first one outside of the asylum, I think. It's been two weeks since I last played, so my memory is fuzzy.

Anyways, in the course of those two weeks, I had some family visit from out of town. I'm pretty sure my little cousin loaded up my save and attacked the guy who was sitting on the ground near the second bon fire. I'm pretty sure it was that guy cause the guy who was sitting on the ground isn't there any more, and now there's some dude attacking me every time I respawn.

Long story short, I try to fight the guy a few times. Get massacred. Then I jump off a cliff, laughing to myself, with the intention of just starting a new file from scratch on respawn. But then I respawn, and... the guy is gone! He jumped off the cliff after me!

So, my question: Was that guy somehow crucial to the game? Will I be significantly hindered with him dead?
The crestfallen guy? He isn't important.

2AdEPT

The crestfallen guy? He isn't important.

your so close to the start you could start over if you wish, but this guy is one of the least important npc's, most are best to keep alive until it becomes obvious that you are supposed to fight them..

The input delay is a real bummer. I've had actions delayed by as much as ten seconds after the patches. Seems it only happens when trying to perform an action right after lowering a shield. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often; would completely ruin the game if it did.

10 seconds sounds really scretching it. Sure you have to wait until the previous animation has ended but there's no animation that lasts for ten seconds.

I consider it as part of the risk/reward thing on the flasks (do you run and heal, or heal and fight etc) but I can understand why some people might not like it.

Mxrz

Hmm.

- Invade.
- Get jumped 3v1.
- Run.
- Hide.
- Receive msg: Duelz?
- Walk back.
- Bow.
- Square off against Derp Mask phantom.
- Turn around, one shot host.
- Come at me, bro.

** Obligatory nerf zwei/masks rant post.

Mxrz

Never seen anything out of the norm on the PS3 side. International/Japan lag will give you a few phantom lagstabs here and there. Online like that would kill the game for me.

Can't wait to see how ridiculous the PC version becomes.

Got the platinum today! First one ever, actually. Also brought a friend to Gwyn for the first time. Now we're running through Depths on brand new characters.

Wowbagger

10 seconds sounds really scretching it. Sure you have to wait until the previous animation has ended but there's no animation that lasts for ten seconds.

I consider it as part of the risk/reward thing on the flasks (do you run and heal, or heal and fight etc) but I can understand why some people might not like it.

I'm not waiting for an animation to end. I'm fighting a monster, get a safe window to attack or heal in, I press the required button, and nothing happens. Then I circle the monster for as much as ten seconds before the action happens. I think the delay has actually been ever worse a couple times. It's usually max 5 seconds, though, and it's possible to cancel the delayed response by performing another action when you notice nothing is happening. But that can still fuck you up, when your safe window is narrow. Very annoying.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is the 360 version supposed to have ridiculous amounts of frame lag or what?

Slows to a crawl in Blighttown.

So, I finally finished this game today and what an incredible ride it was. I'll post further impressions another time.

What I'm curious about is this: my character is basically a brute strength build with 40 Vit, 40 Endurance and 35 Str. The game restarted after the credits which is obviously the NG+. Now, I barely used any magic, pyromancies or anything else of that ilk on my first playthrough. I really want to check this stuff out and build a 'spells' type character. Should I build that type in the NG+ I've just started or is it wiser to just start a new game if you want to swing your character in a completely different direction?

I also want to explore the online options of this game more, now that I've completed it solo. From what I've read on here, the higher your level, the scarcer the opportunities are to meet other players. So a NG+, where your level is naturally higher, would make this more difficult? Maybe this is another reason to just start a new game.

You have the right idea. If I remember correctly it's if you try to attack while holding your shield up and the mob attacks at the same time, then the next time you lower your shield it's as if your attack was queued up and suddenly you will attack randomly. Or if it's you press shield and attack at the same time, I can't really remember. I know lowering the shield will def make the lost attack now perform. It has always been an issue and not due to a patch and yeah, it's pretty annoying. I wish I could remember the specifics to help you out, because towards the end I got used to it and would wait to lower my shield at a time I knew I wanted to attack.

The lag is really starting to get to me. :mad:

im in Blighttown also and it's horrendous. Please tell me it's the only part of the game like this. Also, is it as bad on Ps3?

Is the 360 version supposed to have ridiculous amounts of frame lag or what?

Slows to a crawl in Blighttown.
Yes, the frame rate it's notoriously low on both 360 and PS3. There is a place later that has a similar issue, I think it was The Lost Izalith. I feel like you get used to it though and once you understand Blighttown more that place is a breeze even with FPS issues.

2AdEPT

So, I finally finished this game today and what an incredible ride it was. I'll post further impressions another time.

What I'm curious about is this: my character is basically a brute strength build with 40 Vit, 40 Endurance and 35 Str. The game restarted after the credits which is obviously the NG+. Now, I barely used any magic, pyromancies or anything else of that ilk on my first playthrough. I really want to check this stuff out and build a 'spells' type character. Should I build that type in the NG+ I've just started or is it wiser to just start a new game if you want to swing your character in a completely different direction?

I also want to explore the online options of this game more, now that I've completed it solo. From what I've read on here, the higher your level, the scarcer the opportunities are to meet other players. So a NG+, where your level is naturally higher, would make this more difficult? Maybe this is another reason to just start a new game.
The good news is that you can do both. I pick up my NG+ characters when I wan tot test out advanced weapons that I can upgrade easier at higher levels to see if my lower level character s should upgrade and use them or not. My advice is to start over and really think about your stats this time....trying to stay low for PVP makes each and every point an important decision....I think that is fun...but I know many will not. I suck at PVP so any advantage I can gain by tedious mind work will help my chances. If you post your stats we can see if you should obviously start over or if you have good enough stats to go for a SL120 pvp build we can recommend what to do...likley if you wnatto magic or faith you will probably want to start over but you never know.

I was talking about the online lag. :X I keep getting killed by attacks nowhere near me.

this happens rarely for me on PS3 and it is almost throw controller annoying.....if it happened all the time I could adapt to it...but because I get used to the perfectly normal game play online then some annoying shmuck gets the best of me becuase of the lag its really annoying. No point in complaining though as it happens rarely enough that I can dust mysefl off and get busy with something else. I guess wen it happens I could just disengage but this would not be fair for the host who summons me to help on O/S etc.

Booshka

Nice, I would keep that character as a Strength Melee only type build and just make another character to try out spells and other types of weapons. It will take you too long to level to experience all the spells in this game if you are already 100+. And yes, you will see less summon signs the higher you level, especially for legit co-op, most will be for ganksville PvP. If you want you can start a new character and I'll help you out. I have characters in a variety of level ranges.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone have any tips for the queelag witch?? I cant beat her and im seriously considering making the trek back to the depths.
I just beat her. Turn human, use summoned players (at the bonfire)/the AI summon butcher lady (infront of the white light) as aggro. Stay behind at all times and be patient. When she stops doing anything for a few seconds entirely, run away because she's probably gonna do the one hit KO attack.

Tactics are not much different from previous bosses. Stay behind her, pace your endurance and don't get too greedy. If you deplete your endurance slashing away, don't go in for round 2 right away as shes likely preparing her offense which you need to run away from. Do not rush in if there's lava everywhere which would give you limited space to move about. Only attack when there is a safe retreat option. Last thing you want is to get whipped into lava and to your death while trying to run away. I would say it'd be significantly more difficult without those players/AI to aggro.

Dresden

Anyone have any tips for the queelag witch?? I cant beat her and im seriously considering making the trek back to the depths.

she's a pushover once you learn her moves, just run to the other side if your area gets too clogged up with lava, run away if she leans down to hug her spider self (it'll be an explosion), and roll sideways when she does that extremely long and obvious wind up for a stab attack.

yeah well I ran out of humanity trying to beat her, so I think im shit out of luck.
I remember Queelag being a thorn in my side the first time I faced her, but she'll be easy once you are more familiar with her style.

The best thing to do, and this goes for any area/boss you're having a hiccup with, is to lay down your summon sign and help out some other players with the same boss. You get risk-free experience of fighting the boss, and you net humanity (and souls) so you can then go human and summon helpers yourself for the fight.

The place to put down your summon sign for Queelag is right at the sewer bonfire, you will get summoned in no time if you're about between lvl 15-30. I usually nip out and take out all the slugs 'round the corner to farm shards in between summons, but it's pretty busy down there, summoning is thick and fast.

BTW, there is another, quicker, exit from Blighttown without going back through the Depths, it's probably the entrance you will use more often if you need to go back down there (for merchants or whatever).

Also, once you're done with Quelaag and found the bell, go downstairs and search the walls for a hidden area. You're gonna need that bonfire later on.

yeah well I ran out of humanity trying to beat her, so I think im shit out of luck.
i actually find her easier single easier than co-op. she goes batshit insane when theres multiple targets around her, so its hard to get a read when she uses her explosion attack (maybe its just my lag i don't know). most times when i've played co-op, i notice they just let mildred tank while they use ranged magic.

if you're soloing as a melee, try to fight her face on rather than circle to her back. her sword attack has a terrible hitbox and you can dodge it without even having to roll. you have to be really close though; like your face in her boobs close. i still do roll though just in case, but if it does hit, its one of her weaker attacks. she mixes this up with her lava breath, which is pretty slow and easy to read, so when she does this roll/run around to her side. i wouldn't go all the way around to her back though, because you need to see when her (human body) slumps down and thats when you know shes going to do the explosion attack and its time to gtfo. after that, try to get back into close range as soon as you can. she has other attacks she uses when shes at range, but as long as you stay close you don't really need to worry about them too much--just spam roll. if you haven't done so already, i'd recommend getting either havel's ring or the dark wood grain ring, or even both. it will help improve your rolling ability greatly.

red liquorice said:
BTW, there is another, quicker, exit from Blighttown without going back through the Depths, it's probably the entrance you will use more often if you need to go back down there (for merchants or whatever).
can you even exit from the depths? i always thought it was a one-way path. in order to get to blighttown (or fight the gaping dragon) from the depths you need to jump down in the sewers, no? is there a way to climb back up?

The good news is that you can do both. I pick up my NG+ characters when I wan tot test out advanced weapons that I can upgrade easier at higher levels to see if my lower level character s should upgrade and use them or not. My advice is to start over and really think about your stats this time....trying to stay low for PVP makes each and every point an important decision....I think that is fun...but I know many will not. I suck at PVP so any advantage I can gain by tedious mind work will help my chances. If you post your stats we can see if you should obviously start over or if you have good enough stats to go for a SL120 pvp build we can recommend what to do...likley if you wnatto magic or faith you will probably want to start over but you never know.

My stats are as follows:

Vit: 40 En: 40 Str: 36 Att: 10 Dex: 19 Res: 18 Int: 8 Fa: 10

Looking at those, you're probably right about needing to start a new character. Using NG as a testing ground is a really good idea, I'll be using that.

Nice, I would keep that character as a Strength Melee only type build and just make another character to try out spells and other types of weapons. It will take you too long to level to experience all the spells in this game if you are already 100+. And yes, you will see less summon signs the higher you level, especially for legit co-op, most will be for ganksville PvP. If you want you can start a new character and I'll help you out. I have characters in a variety of level ranges.

Cheers buddy, if I'm having a bit of trouble I'll take you up on that. At the bolded, I thought that may be the case, the amount of souls required to level up past lv 100 are exorbitant and even though the enemies give out more souls, I doubt they'll be scaled like you were playing through the first time.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Another thing I'm curious about: when building a character to use spells, is it wise to level for Magic, Faith and Pyromany or do you stick to one and use souls for Vit too? (I'm seeing a lot of posters saying the Vit stat is pretty much essential and, from my experience with the game, I'd have to agree)

can you even exit from the depths? i always thought it was a one-way path. in order to get to blighttown (or fight the gaping dragon) from the depths you need to jump down in the sewers, no? is there a way to climb back up?
I think so, I know what you mean about jumping down. I've never gone back that way, but coming from the other way and getting all the treasures, I've gone up that direction and realised it all connects, there are a couple of ways I think where there is the sewer area behind that weird tentacle creature, and somewhere it does all connect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When your in the depths you can go all the way to where you freed the pyromancer guy, and near the entrance to him will be a broken wall where you can drop into the water and then go back up all those stairs and out the way you came in through the door.

Yes, in the final hall of the Depths where you find Domnall and the passageway to Blighttown, there's also a door in the back that leads back up to the bonfire and from there you can easily get back to Lower Burg.

Vesmir

Banned
Fuck this game. Seriously, fuck this game.

I love almost everything about Dark Souls. The atmosphere, the music, the single-player, co-oping Four Kings was one of the most fun things I have ever done in a game.

But the backstabs. In 35 matches today (and yes I fucking counted), every single one I was killed with a backstab. It's so pervasive, and it was not like this at all in Demon's Souls. It's like no one knows how to properly play, just lag behind and autowin.

If only carrying a weapon two-handed allowed the shield on the back to mitigate the damage, then maybe this nonsense would be reduced.

/salt

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Few questions:

Do soul drops scale as the game goes on? As in, as I progress through the game, will I get more and more souls for killing later enemies that will help me level as level costs gradually increase?

Sometimes randomly there will be a gold spark of light that appears around my character, which gets sucked into him and then that's it. What does this mean or why does it happen? Now I haven't tested this or anything but I have a hunch that if I stay alive long enough as an undead it automatically turns me into human form. I wouldn't bank on that though, just a hunch.

I just beat Quelaag the other day. How far through the main story/path am I?

Can I keep playing the game after "completing" the main story or am I forced to NG+ from there? Regardless, I want to eventually get everything or explore everywhere in this game, or try to, and I don't really want to make another character.

Does the game ever offer fast travel or a map?

I had more but that's all that's been on my mind recently. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom