• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few questions:

Do soul drops scale as the game goes on? As in, as I progress through the game, will I get more and more souls for killing later enemies that will help me level as level costs gradually increase?

Sometimes randomly there will be a gold spark of light that appears around my character, which gets sucked into him and then that's it. What does this mean or why does it happen? Now I haven't tested this or anything but I have a hunch that if I stay alive long enough as an undead it automatically turns me into human form. I wouldn't bank on that though, just a hunch.

I just beat Quelaag the other day. How far through the main story/path am I?

Can I keep playing the game after "completing" the main story or am I forced to NG+ from there? Regardless, I want to eventually get everything or explore everywhere in this game, or try to, and I don't really want to make another character.

Does the game ever offer fast travel or a map?

I had more but that's all that's been on my mind recently. Thanks in advance.

Yes, soul drops scale as the game goes on.

Idk what the gold thing is, do you have some kind of item that occasionally buffs you?

Quelaag is almost half-way through I'd say.

Eventually you can warp from any bonefire to any firekeeper.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes, soul drops scale as the game goes on.

Idk what the gold thing is, do you have some kind of item that occasionally buffs you?

Quelaag is almost half-way through I'd say.

Eventually you can warp from any bonefire to any firekeeper.
Maybe I do, hmm I should check.

And bonfire to bonfire you mean?

Thanks for the answers.

Akainu

Sometimes randomly there will be a gold spark of light that appears around my character, which gets sucked into him and then that's it. What does this mean or why does it happen? Now I haven't tested this or anything but I have a hunch that if I stay alive long enough as an undead it automatically turns me into human form. I wouldn't bank on that though, just a hunch.
When another player kindles a bonfire near you in their world it's adds an extra flask to yours.

Robot Pants

Nah. You can go from any bonfire in the game to any bonfire with a firekeeper, like Firelink Shrine or Anor Londo.

It actually connects to covenants. Firelink Shrine and Anor Londo are the only exceptions. (Daugher of Chaos is a covenant, but Queelan happens to be a firekeeper as well.)

It actually connects to covenants. Firelink Shrine and Anor Londo are the only exceptions. (Daugher of Chaos is a covenant, but Queelan happens to be a firekeeper as well.)
Could really use a few more spread out IMO - 3 in Anor Londo? The Nito one connects nowhere other than his locked-off tomb, Ash Lake is equally useless for shortcutting, no warp to the forest? This is one of my very few gripes with DS.

Soulhouf

I never understood why you can warp to Nito's bonfire. Because at the moment you can do it, Nito is no longer there.
Man that covenant is completely broken.
I tested with a friend to see how that works and actually when you use an eye of death, the game is constantly mapping your position with the sign that appears in the 3 cursed worlds. That's why it doesn't really work.
The only way is to remain still and wait.
Why don't they make the sign appears at the position where you use the EOD and stop going back and forth and calculating and what not. It would save resources and make it work. Seriously.
Finally, making a boss you need to beat to progress in the game a covenant leader is a bad idea itself.

Robot Pants

I get where you are coming from. EOD could work better, but if you join the covenant before killing Nito it has no effect on your covenant status and you can still deepen your alliegance. But if Nito isn't dead you can't warp there and instead have to walk all the way through the catacombs to get to the coffin. Which sucks

siegfried said:
Yes, in the final hall of the Depths where you find Domnall and the passageway to Blighttown, there's also a door in the back that leads back up to the bonfire and from there you can easily get back to Lower Burg.
intresting. i usually never bothered to backtrack like this. are there any items along this path worth noting that i would've missed?

Could really use a few more spread out IMO - 3 in Anor Londo? The Nito one connects nowhere other than his locked-off tomb, Ash Lake is equally useless for shortcutting, no warp to the forest? This is one of my very few gripes with DS.
definitely, but also just bonfires in general. theres like 5-6 very near to each other in lost izalith, meanwhile new londo ruins doesn't even have 1 nearby afaik? you either have to go from firelink shrine or darkroot basin which is timely due to waiting for elevators.

Soulhouf

New Londo doesn't need a bonfire IMO.
It's a small area and going to the boss from Firelink Shrine take 1 minute via the shortcut.

It's a small area and going to the boss from Firelink Shrine take 1 minute via the shortcut.
farming slabs? and i tend to find that the best summon sign spots are typically ones next to bonfires. and since the four kings is a popular co-op boss i think it'd be reasonable to have a bonfire there. i'd say demon ruins is about the same size and has 3 bonfires, plus 1 right at the transition to lost izalith and 1 right at the transition of queelag's domain. it kinda makes sense though, 3 bosses, 3 bonfires. i think every boss should have a bonfire for summon sign spot reasons.

on a similar note of bonfires: i'm not really the type of person who enjoys farming/grinding, but i often to do it anyways because its necessary. i really dislike the fact that farming in this game often tends to consist more of running than actual fighting, even with heavy usage of homeward bones.

Booshka

Fuck this game. Seriously, fuck this game.

I love almost everything about Dark Souls. The atmosphere, the music, the single-player, co-oping Four Kings was one of the most fun things I have ever done in a game.

But the backstabs. In 35 matches today (and yes I fucking counted), every single one I was killed with a backstab. It's so pervasive, and it was not like this at all in Demon's Souls. It's like no one knows how to properly play, just lag behind and autowin.

If only carrying a weapon two-handed allowed the shield on the back to mitigate the damage, then maybe this nonsense would be reduced.

/salt

A strategy I've been employing for backstab fishers lately is to not lock on and manually swing at them. Your back won't be facing them properly when they try to strafe around and backstab after they tank one of your hits and try to move behind you. If you aren't locked on you can attack on a swivel and lead your attacks ahead of them so they are never really at your back. It's a sloppy, but effective solution for most scrubby backstab fishers. It also can effect parry and ripostes, I had a player parry me twice, but since I wasn't facing him directly he couldn't land the riposte properly.

A strategy I've been employing for backstab fishers lately is to not lock on and manually swing at them. Your back won't be facing them properly when they try to strafe around and backstab after they tank one of your hits and try to move behind you. If you aren't locked on you can attack on a swivel and lead your attacks ahead of them so they are never really at your back. It's a sloppy, but effective solution for most scrubby backstab fishers. It also can effect parry and ripostes, I had a player parry me twice, but since I wasn't facing him directly he couldn't land the riposte properly.

I concur. Not locking on works pretty much always. Combine with weapon with heavy stun lock capabilities and just swing away

nilbog21

Banned
I'm at that part in the Painted World where you jump down after you prompt the dragon to stand up, but everything is so glitchy with invisible walls and enemies wtf?? am i not supposed to drop down here?

I'm at that part in the Painted World where you jump down after you prompt the dragon to stand up, but everything is so glitchy with invisible walls and enemies wtf?? am i not supposed to drop down here?
i'm not sure if that's an "official shortcut" or not. i've never actually tried using it myself because once you open the main door it stays open and its a much faster route. i guess that shortcut would be useful for ng+ if you're too lazy to open the switch. the switch for the main door is found in the sewers (there are two entrances to get down there).

Grinchy

Banned
Is there like a suggested set of armor for a pure sorcerer / intelligence build?

I've just been using the crimson stuff with the crown of dusk this whole time. I don't want to use up materials upgrading anything and then find out that something else was better. Most of my stats have gone to Int and Attunement, but I've put a few in dex/str to wield certain weapons. Also put a few into VIT/END.

Booshka

Is there like a suggested set of armor for a pure sorcerer / intelligence build?

I've just been using the crimson stuff with the crown of dusk this whole time. I don't want to use up materials upgrading anything and then find out that something else was better. Most of my stats have gone to Int and Attunement, but I've put a few in dex/str to wield certain weapons. Also put a few into VIT/END.

Witch Cloak is pretty good and looks good for sorcerer characters. Dingy Robe has amazing stats and goes well with a lot of other pieces of armor. Poise is the most important stat though, so if you need poise then just mix in some heavy armor with a light armor Robe/Coat or Cloak and you'll still look pretty good. Or just wear the wolf ring and go light.

I just had the luckiest drop ever - Going on my way to do the 4 Kings, I used the shortcut to drop down and whilst facing the first Darkwraith, I thought I'd switch out a ring for the serpent ring, so I roll out, quickly switch, then finish off the Darkwraith with one last slash thinking "wouldn't it be amazing if he dropped a Titanite Slab?" - Lo and behold, he drops an item, and it's a freakin' Titanite Slab! :D

zewone

Just saw at Namco that they confirmed a new item in Prepare to Die that allows you to use voice chat with other phantoms. They didn't go into much detail as to how it works.

EDIT: Showed gameplay footage. Confirmed time travel and boss drop Chimera
tail-cut-off weapon Guardian Tail, a whip weapon

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just saw at Namco that they confirmed a new item in Prepare to Die that allows you to use voice chat with other phantoms. They didn't go into much detail as to how it works.
i can see it now: voicemail soapsigns everywhere; Blighttown and New Londo full of 2 minutes worth of weeping and smashing noises

EDIT: Showed gameplay footage. Confirmed time travel and boss drop Chimera
tail-cut-off weapon Guardian Tail, a whip weapon
Hope it's more useful than the existing variety! Always want to use them, but they're too slow/lacking in power, not sure about bleed though, never checked.

Grinchy

Banned
Witch Cloak is pretty good and looks good for sorcerer characters. Dingy Robe has amazing stats and goes well with a lot of other pieces of armor. Poise is the most important stat though, so if you need poise then just mix in some heavy armor with a light armor Robe/Coat or Cloak and you'll still look pretty good. Or just wear the wolf ring and go light.

Cool, thanks. I'm glad I didn't upgrade my crimson stuff with TT yet.

2AdEPT

Nah. You can go from any bonfire in the game to any bonfire with a firekeeper, like Firelink Shrine or Anor Londo.

farming slabs? and i tend to find that the best summon sign spots are typically ones next to bonfires. .
Yeah the firelink is actullay the one assigned for darkwraith as once you bring the lordvesel and side with Kaathe it is a linked location as well (at least close.) ANor Londo is actually Gwyndolin and Gwyinvere that have covenenats but the firekeeper sides with Gwyndolin there...its a good one for Dukes I guess. They were goinf for covenenats fo the warp spots which makes sense....they purposely do not wnat to make things to easy...no warpng from anywhere to anywhere and must retrieve souls stain etc. ITs not that they overliooked a more conveneinet way to to go it...they knew.

My stats are as follows:

Vit: 40 En: 40 Str: 36 Att: 10 Dex: 19 Res: 18 Int: 8 Fa: 10

Looking at those, you're probably right about needing to start a new character. Using NG as a testing ground is a really good idea, I'll be using that.

Cheers buddy, if I'm having a bit of trouble I'll take you up on that. At the bolded, I thought that may be the case, the amount of souls required to level up past lv 100 are exorbitant and even though the enemies give out more souls, I doubt they'll be scaled like you were playing through the first time.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Another thing I'm curious about: when building a character to use spells, is it wise to level for Magic, Faith and Pyromany or do you stick to one and use souls for Vit too? (I'm seeing a lot of posters saying the Vit stat is pretty much essential and, from my experience with the game, I'd have to agree)

Yeah don't put any into resistance..ever...wasted levels. I purposely chooose the sorcerer starting character for that reason a couple extra magics, especially early is waay better than the extra resistance. You will want to choose between Magic and fatih after that, but Pyro is different and does not require leveling..just souls so anyone can be a max pyro at any level. 16 magic allows for all the elementary spells....but you can still get good faith at 30 and still go for strength or Dex weapons as well. Depends if you wan tot go purist or not.. hybrids can be unwieldy (need the catalyst, talisman and glove plus attunement slots) and watered down but many do this as they can't give up one of their favourite spells or weapons to sticjk to hoil for max damage of one play style. Anyway, make sure to enjoy the different levels you go through...there is no rush to get tot eh ultimate stats..as everyone isrelativelyon the same page level wise during PVP its fun to do do lots of work at level 7 as I did last night for example....used box glitch and got requests for free stuff as a result. One retard begger got a dung pie as a gift, and another player begged and I asked him if he was worthy and he said , "yes, I have platinumed already" I WRONG answer was obviously lying, but I still gave him a Dark hand which he liked (obviously didn't know what it was even after supposedly platinuming) and HE was hapy...got about six of them even at low level after that farming for chuncks.,,also gave a way a giant halbred which I get at least two of per playthourgh and rarely use regaradless.

Had a great experience I gotta share last night playing late (2am) pacific time I was getting lots of action in Sens as a host trying to get through the level at level 25 or so. ONe helper in derp mask and giant's armour with furysword (had to be maxed) and I were invaded by a joker that stayed up in the area above the first walkway and wouldn't come down to fight but rather stayed up top to fire dragon bow arrows at us when we came to the first swinging clever bridge. Obviously we were not going to chance it, and he was obviously not coming down...what to do? My helper fired what I thought was more than 99 firebombs up there and I kept shooting poison knives which I had 99 of (all legit purchases even at low level as they are cheap) and still he was not getting hit much as the window he popped out of every so often was pretty small and he obviously was not budging. There was a standoff for what seemed like an eternity so I had to devise a plan. THe hard part of my plan was conveying to my helper to keep distracting while I jump down, heal myself without getting hit by the titanite demon in order to get to the guy...without him seeing me gesture what I am doing or see me do it. So I went right up to the wall so that the joker couldn't see my gestures, gestured with 'point down' that I was going down which this Japanese player must have understood as he increased his firebobming and toyed with him by pausing, then flurrying. SOmehow the joker up top missed my move and as I thought time was of the essence ( had to heal as the fall almost took my whole bar at only 12 vitality or something plus titanite demon and all) I did not buiff my sword before getting on the ladder down below to climb up....i was hanging on the ladder just below where he was hiding shooting out the window intermittently. I waited there for a while and they did more cat and mouse but I eventually realized the firebombs had actually hit him a lot and his health bar was actually pretty low so even my unbuffed washing pole +15 would do the trick. He totally missed me until I was right on him, he had his bow drawn so no shield etc...two swift swingsof the washing pole +15 finished off what was likely a not very strong character at low level...but after what seemed like a lot longer battle than it was my partner and I bowed at exactly the same time knowing our teamwork was impeccable under the circumstances and that we accomplished a tough kill on a well positioned (likely from watching others), but obviously noob invader.

No lag last night BTW, not even close, but lots of my own stupididty...took me way too long to get through sens even with help...had to summon this same guy that helped me earlier but because of that comraderie he dropped his sign even though I died like a noob at the top just before getting the cage key.

Sullichin

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/320486163
Namco Bandai's E3 livestream recording, Dark Souls stuff starts 7:30. The interview is cringeworthy because of the hosts.. ugh. Pre-recorded gameplay segment shown starting 36:15. It's a boss fight,
Sanctuary Guardian
who has a tail weapon drop. The boss appears to build up either poison or toxic meter with its tail attacks so i'm expecting the weapon to inflict toxic/poison.

Mxrz

Ugh. Voice communication? I really hope its some kind of audio version of the msg system. Otherwise, bleh. Can't wait to hear all the kiddies.

Booshka

Ugh. Voice communication? I really hope its some kind of audio version of the msg system. Otherwise, bleh. Can't wait to hear all the kiddies.

I'm just glad that Private Chat works on 360, makes it easier to do full playthrough co-op runs of the game with friends, as well as set up PvP arenas. Also, it's fun to chat with someone while playing, I've beaten the game over 30 times, so it's not like I'm ruining the immersion or anything like that.

Wowbagger

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/320486163 said:
added an item that will allow for verbal communication with other players in the game [...] it might help to enhance the gestures in the game that you can use to communicate

Ugh indeed.

Soulhouf

It seems that Artorias of the Abyss edition will include some game balance especially regarding weapons/armors.
I hope this time From Software will do things right.

No thanks to in-game chat. If I want to communicate with a friend, I set up Skype on my netbook or simply have them beside me, playing on two tv:s. I want an easier way to set up coop though. They could keep the random server thing and simply have an item you can buy and then give to another player to automatically bring them to your server, like in FF11.

Sullichin

More footage of the boss battle from E3 show floor, complete with crappy rap music in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsPy2JA1aw

Edit: this character is doing the <25% roll wearing Catarina Armor o_O

Edit2:
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2012/1549.html

Performance-wise, the game ran smoothly in the demo footage. While the game will not offer high resolution textures, it will offer a full range of scalable settings exclusive to the PC version. Additionally, I was flat-out promised that Blighttown will run as smoothly as the rest of the game.

2AdEPT

Help! I accidentally speared the lady merchant and now she will not sell me any curse cures. Anyway to make it up with her?

Yeah I would do it [@Krakov] no matter how many souls it takes...I am finding poison arrows to be indespensible for PVE situations that, althoguh passable otherwise, cut down the chance of error or losing a tonne of humanity/souls etc. FOr example in sens fortress to clear out all the snake heads first before tackling the demons....and only the second time ever I got the slab from siegermaeyer/sigelinde I used the poison arrows on the octopuss monsters instead of pissing around down in the muck and screwing things up....worked like a charm for that slab and was worth the piece of mind....its a "just right" level of preparation startegy to a situation that most either do too much or not enough for....a whole playthrough's work is on the line there and I am now 2/4 or so vs. 1 for 3.

will take lots of souls to absolve if you have killed others like fellow covenenant members shiva/ninja or the guy on top of the ghost area in New londo....also raises when you invade as a red phantom but not a s a blue. (I think.)

Incidentally, the guy on top of the buiding in New londo has a curse/prevent magic thing...or is it a cure curse spell? ..can't remember never used it....I don't get curesed ever anymore as i usually wear the dusk crown and oolacile skirt if I am trading off havel's ring at low levels. These items are multipurpose so its not like I wear them for the curse protect alone but it is a nice side benefit.....THe curese protect is enough to prevent the frogs, if not Seath, from cursing you with a reasonable window of time to either kill frogs, endure seath's wrath, or retreat. BEst way to handle getting cursed is simply not to let it happen.

Booshka

There needs to be some spell for these assholes that triple team you.

Fire Tempest and its cousins, Tranquil Walk of Peace and Wrath of Gods all work against overly aggressive gankers. You're kind of screwed no matter what you do, so my strategy is to run my ass off to try and separate them a little or run into enemies to tip the scale a little in my favor.

Use the level to your advantage, get in places that are tough for them to surround you in, or are precarious with cliff edges and high falls.
Or just run like hell until you have enough time to Black Crystal out, fuck them, don't give em your souls or humanity, if you keep leaving their game, they get to stand around and wait more and more.

2AdEPT

Do most people beat the game solo or use help from summons? Been running game solo but was curious.

I have the opinion that the developers purposely include NPC helpers for those bosses that are "meant" or designed for Jol-co.
Taurus - no - obvious solo
Queelag - yes - Mildred
Gargoyles - yes - Solaire AND Lautrec, L is tougher, (any time there are two or more enemies its a gauranteed co-op situation.)
Capra - no - small sapce with dogs, but obviously still an intentionally soloable boss.
Gaping - again - two summons available S&L .....Lautrec the tougher of the two. Ironically likely the easiest boss to solo despite that it takes a long time..only reason summons need to be offered is to save time on a boring boss.
Golem - yes - TARKUS!!!!!!!!!!!
O&S - yes - Solaire
Seath - no - although difficult to get tail without,
Priscilla - no -
Pinwheel - yes - leroy - ironiclly another easy to solo boss though you can see that the pinwheel skellies are helped huge if you summon leroy...the pinwheel skellies are part of the boss experience and that is why pinwheel is easy I guess.
Nito - no - intentionally soloable
Sif - no
Butterfly - yes - witch ?bernice?
Kings - yes - witch
Gwynn - yes - Solaire
so therefore only a couple that seemed like it was intended to be soloable...most have a difficulty that is intended to be very very difficult unless you cooperate or have a highly refined and upgraded character. Interviews with the developers indicated that they were thinking mostly of multiplayer in the design of the bosses....sorry no reference....just remember watching interviews with migzyaki or whatever his name is...I suppose his clarity could be in question after the locked resolution frame/rate debacle.

Sullichin

Just beat Quelaag in NG+ at SL1. Gold Hemmed set, no shield. Power Within, (with a fully ascended flame, which is dumb but it's the only pyro flame I have) Lingering dragoncrest ring and lightning handaxe +5. Don't plan on beating NG+ at SL1.. that would be quite frustrating.. but figured why not take out Quelaag. Back to my NG[something] sorcerer playthrough who is getting gravelorded left and right.

Mxrz

Do most people beat the game solo or use help from summons? Been running game solo but was curious.

My first time, I stayed solo for the sake of a pure challenge. Most people summon these days to keep co-op lively rather than needing help.

During the segment yesterday, it sounded like the DLC was due out this fall along with the PC edition. But I've not seen it mentioned again. And not to be all negative, but 4 bosses, and the way they phrased the areas made it sound like sort of small. But if nothing else, hopefully we'll get a new patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom