• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

Thanks for the tips. I finally beat the Taurus Demon and there is no fire afterward. I walk across a bridge and a dragon kills me in one hit with no warning and now I am way back. What did I do wrong? And do I have to kill the Taurus Demon again?

Booshka

Thanks for the tips. I finally beat the Taurus Demon and there is no fire afterward. I walk across a bridge and a dragon kills me in one hit with no warning and now I am way back. What did I do wrong? And do I have to kill the Taurus Demon again?

No you don't have to kill that Taurus Demon again.
Try getting back to that bridge and look the other direction, there will be an NPC there that gives you the Summon Sign item for co op. You need to get halfway across that bridge then duck down a staircase to the right. Just run as fast as you can and if you get hit, get back up and keep going forward, you should be able to make it. From there, you can kick down a shortcut ladder to the bonfire you've been at for a while.

2AdEPT

Behold! I have returned to Dark souls. I made a new character that's a pyromancer. How should I build him?
I suppose you could just use pyro only to be authentic, but I usually do another specialty in either faith or magic and trade out the slots becuase as was mentioned....pyro costs no leveling points only souls... Well except for attunement.

No you don't have to kill that Taurus Demon again.
Try getting back to that bridge and look the other direction, there will be an NPC there that gives you the Summon Sign item for co op. You need to get halfway across that bridge then duck down a staircase to the right. Just run as fast as you can and if you get hit, get back up and keep going forward, you should be able to make it. From there, you can kick down a shortcut ladder to the bonfire you've been at for a while.

Notwithstanding that I agree with the advice so far....if you are a fast learner, almost any enemy can be beat at low soul level if you find the right combination of strategy and equipment....especially if you can hire help by finding a sign on the ground and summoning while human....but this will open you up to invasions as well which can be annoying at times, but is no big deal., especially if you have help with you. In order to get around tougher enemies this means you need to wander around a bit to find better stuff / souls etc....maybe even run by a few hard enemies to get to the next shiiny piece or bonfire.....the posts so far have set you up with the easiest path...but for me the souls experience has been enhanced by taking the road less travelled, which the developers most certainly set up for people, i.e. its not "breaking the game" to do a separate order.....another option to the bridge mentioned above is to use the master key
down below Firelink..it opens a door to the valley oof the drakes....it is possible to run by the drakes and get back to where you are going above from the back door. Also it is possible to do what most consider the "2nd" bell a lot earlier by going in a dark cave and finding the boss of blighttown via the back door....this boss isn't much tougher than any ohter, particualrly iif you find the bonfire and hire help there.
You can message the hekp you get there to tell you where they got any equipment you thought looked cool etc. I gladly give this help in game if asked....but i recommend using wikis very repraochfully.....you can spoil things too easy if you read up on everythign ahead. Pyro or magic can make things easier at early levels tos try upgrading a pyroglove a bit if you can find one, and depending on wht character path you want to do later a couple points in maigc wont hurt. I started my last faith/dex character as a sorcerer as the extra magic stats help earlier on where the resistance is least useful...sorcerers start with the least resistance in the game.

2AdEPT

What are the pvp SLs? The one's most people keep their pvp chars at.

120 was for demon's.....there is lots of action in anor londo and burg at 120, but MORE I feel is at low level....as you build your character stay SL 7 or 8 for a while and help noobs....they appreciate the help more than others at higher levels......stay at 20-25 for a while and do queeelag a few times as this is where I get strings of pvp one right after with not much wait time on the weekend....the several helpers you do it with have builds that either help or hinder the process at that level and it forces players to use skll and strategy...seeing what others do at low-medium levels is a great learning tool.

The key is that gankers HAVE to have full havel's or giants armour they need SL100+ to get their endurance up and still have magic or fatih etc. for homing soul or wrath. Less gankers at SL 70 -80 or so means I stay there for dex....if I do a strenght character I like the extra endurance/magic myself and might go intot he 90-100 range but not much higher. I thinkt hte highesst I ever went ws 111.

right now my SL 58 dex faith darkmoon is having fun and she won't get bumped for a while if ever...she has low vitality and endurance and medium stats for weapons 16 ST to two hand washing pole/avelyn and 18 dex for bows) but high faith (30) for darkmoon and lightning spears and emit force...with ring of first born sun she can OHK the knights in anor londo...still feels powerful enough and forces me ot watch out for defence and limit mistakes....she's making me a better player.

I'm currently rolling a SL 71. Where do you guys think I should start investing points? I want at least 58 str when done.

Vit 19
Att 14
End 22
Str 51
Dex 8
Res 11
Int 8
Fai 20

atm

What Faith worth raising to is my real question? Cause I'll raise it to that and spend the rest in Vit

2AdEPT

What are the pvp SLs? The one's most people keep their pvp chars at.

I'm currently rolling a SL 71. Where do you guys think I should start investing points? I want at least 58 str when done.

Vit 19
Att 14
End 22
Str 51
Dex 8
Res 11
Int 8
Fai 20

atm

What Faith worth raising to is my real question? Cause I'll raise it to that and spend the rest in Vit
Why do you want such a high strength? First, it does nothing much more than allow you to hold certain weapons..the modifer increases with leveling the weapon does it not?, not as much with strength?...if you watch the numbers you will see that the increase you get in damage from your level is pretty small, but this is magnified more by the modifier i think..... if you can get it higher than B then you see more returns but most tank weapons like the dragon oness and smoughs are twinkling, demon or dragon, not standard upgrade and only give B mod....I have stayed away from strength for this reason....perhaps others can tell y ou what will get you the highest damage...maybe a Zweihnader or great axe +15 buffed with darkmoon or sunlight?

The reason I don't pump strength to one hand is that You don't really want to hold a shield as it will drain your endurance too much and then you won't have enough to combo with your tank weapon in retaliation. The absolute highest it will do much good for you is 50 as there are diminishing returns past 40 or so....you can one hand the heaviest weapon at 50 I believe but the most I have ever put into strenght has been 36 to 2 hand the heavy weapon and put more in faith. 30 gets you darkmoon blade or sunlight buff and allows you to throw great lightning spears. 50 in faith gets you sunlight spear but you have ot be a sunbro. only 5 bolts but with ring of first born sun you can get 1000 damage from lightning for each bolt. Also, with the sunlight buff I remember getting the two hand smash with dragon great axe to 700 or so even at 36 strength...what would 40 or 50 raise that to? 750-800? NOT worth it when the great lightning bolts (10) with 30 faith can be range thrown and land 450-500 with the ring depending on the enemies resistnace to lightning (most are weak to it.)

If you are hoping ot PVP with this character you will run inot wrath of god a lot and walk of tranquil peace etc. As mentioned above I usually stay away form this range and stay lower for co-op adn more pleasant and varied experiences.

Well I hit pretty hard atm using the Dragon King Greataxe +4, which is 50 str to 1h. I want to use Smoughs Hammer occasionally with this char, which requires 58 str to 1h.

Was trying to farm Smough and Ornstein and end up getting summoned by a guy pvping. 45 minutes later me and this guy have rackd up 120k+ souls. We were wrecking, lots of even 2v2s too. Only got off because my power flickered.

2AdEPT

Well I hit pretty hard atm using the Dragon King Greataxe +4, which is 50 str to 1h. I want to use Smoughs Hammer occasionally with this char, which requires 58 str to 1h.

Was trying to farm Smough and Ornstein and end up getting summoned by a guy pvping. 45 minutes later me and this guy have rackd up 120k+ souls. We were wrecking, lots of even 2v2s too. Only got off because my power flickered.

nice...you may find you hit almost as hard without all the strenght...not sure why you want to one hand but I have never had smoughs hammer so you know more than me aout that...what is the damage you do to the giants or a silber knight?

Whats with my sin on the book of Guilty being zero and the character showed being a very very old one stats armor and all? Is it cause I use the same name for all my characters? First I thought it was cause I used the bb glitch but I made a character without using it and still have the same issue.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did they nerf the archers in Anor Londo? 'cuz I remember them being much harder on launch week.

Wowbagger

Whats with my sin on the book of Guilty being zero and the character showed being a very very old one stats armor and all? Is it cause I use the same name for all my characters? First I thought it was cause I used the bb glitch but I made a character without using it and still have the same issue.

Doesn't that book just use your PSN name, like the other online features? I think I saw one guy listed twice last time I read it (same PSN id, different builds), but maybe I remember wrong.

krakov

Go to options and "add to leaderboards" or whatever when using your current character, will take a while to update.

2AdEPT

Did they nerf the archers in Anor Londo? 'cuz I remember them being much harder on launch week.
I don't think so...there are lots of options now where at launch most used luck of the draw. Great bow still gets them even when theirs dip down...seems cheap though but still gave helper a divine blessing for showing me the safe spot; fully upgraded grant is my fav...just dodge the first arrow stand next to wall and R2 the AOE..tried twice so far 2 for 2.

Sullichin

@Yoshichan: lol that's exactly what I did when I started the game the first time.
Big time.

I just managed to beat the game SL2 cleric.
My challenge was to get everything and beat every boss at that level:

Au51aWyCEAEiJKr.jpg

The most difficult challenge was the Red Dragon. I took me like 10 tries before I beat it.
Now I can finally move to another game... or not

Congrats! I didn't even think to try to kill the red dragon on my SL1. That must have been tough.

Vit 19
Att 14
End 22
Str 51
Dex 8
Res 11
Int 8
Fai 20

atm

I'd stop leveling strength. It's not worth it to 1 hand Smough's hammer. Just 2H weapons like that. If you use slow weapons like that you'll want more endurance so you can swing it more and you'll probably want more vitality too.
If you're going to raise faith you might as well use a weapon that you can enchant with sunlight blade or darkmoon blade. Maybe the demon's great machete, as it scales with strength too.

Go to options and "add to leaderboards" or whatever when using your current character, will take a while to update.

Wow, did not know this. Thanks

2AdEPT

Drizz is usng a Dragon King great Axe mostly, which actually allows buffing despite being a Dragon stone upgrade path....it could easily be a leader in damamge for the game fully upgraded (which is hard) and with 40 strength.... I have never tried it with Darkmoon , only sunlight and strength 36 ...but that's why I am interested to see what damage he is hitting with.

@ Drizz - most people I see wielding Smoughs hammer wear no armour on one piece of their body as it is so heavy. Your endurance cost changes with what you wear for armour when you dodge.....its actually not wise to double up and tank both a strength weapon and tank armour. I have seen very succcessful players do bandit knife with havels on, and smoughs with no armour, but never the double up.....I wanted to try a smough toon character but it doesn't seem like he will be bale to jump around even with a ll the rings unless i pump endurance only instead of other things.

Currently am wearing,

DK Greataxe +4
Canvas Talisman
Grass Crest Shield +15
Mask of the Father
Havel's Armor
Silver Knight Gauntlets +5
Silver Knight Leggings +5
Ring of Favor and Protection
Havel's Ring

-Doesn't thud roll.
-Against Anor Londo Gargoyles,
1 handed, RB: 370
1 handed, RT: 485
2 handed, RB: 461
2 handedh, RT(aoe slam special move): 911(direct hit)
-Dragon King greataxe also has a nice swing when coming out of a roll, big horizontal swing.

Won't put more into str I guess. If I want to mess with Smough's I'll 2h it. Still wondering what my faith is worth raising to. I don't know which spells are worth it and if I should just focus on endurance and health so I can replace the mask or a ring.

Onemic

I gotta say I still have yet to pick up this game again(actually I tried it again a few days ago and did in the exact same way below) because that first boss in blightown(the one with he two cleavers and the two dogs) is one of the cheapest bosses I've yet to encounter in a game period. Everything about that boss fight plays against you, even toward the games weaknesses. You start the fight right in front of the dude with about 2 seconds to react before he or his dogs rip you apart, to add to that it's in a narrow as fuck area, making movement hard and one of the games weaknesses(its camera) working against you at very possible chance. I've heard that the solution is to roll and get up the stairs, but doing that doesn't seem to work as even when I get to the top of the stairs to kill the two dogs(if I haven't been chopped in half before then) by the time I kill the two dogs, the boss is already at the stairs about to chop me to pieces. Fuck, worst boss ever. The other bosses before were hard, but death felt like a mistake on my part and not a fault of the developers and the game design, this feels like the exact opposite.

I swear if that boss never existed I'd still be playing this game today.

CatPee

I gotta say I still have yet to pick up this game again(actually I tried it again a few days ago and did in the exact same way below) because that first boss in blightown(the one with he two cleavers and the two dogs) is one of the cheapest bosses I've yet to encounter in a game period. Everything about that boss fight plays against you, even toward the games weaknesses. You start the fight right in front of the dude with about 2 seconds to react before he or his dogs rip you apart, to add to that it's in a narrow as fuck area, making movement hard and one of the games weaknesses(its camera) working against you at very possible chance. I've heard that the solution is to roll and get up the stairs, but doing that doesn't seem to work as even when I get to the top of the stairs to kill the two dogs(if I haven't been chopped in half before then) by the time I kill the two dogs, the boss is already at the stairs about to chop me to pieces. Fuck, worst boss ever. The other bosses before were hard, but death felt like a mistake on my part and not a fault of the developers and the game design, this feels like the exact opposite.

He's not that tough as long as you time your dodges decently. :|

Use the stairs. The fight isn't hard once you learn what to do.

Dartastic

I'm about to get into Blighttown for real after dropping the game for a while. I've heard it's the worst area. Yeah. Ugh. Is this true? I did get an Eagle Shield though. And I've heard it's boss.

Onemic

Use the stairs. The fight isn't hard once you learn what to do.

I do. I kill the dogs and as soon as I do the dude uses a jump attack on me, pretty much taking out 75% of my health. I can never kill the dogs and get off the stairs in time because the fuckers usually like to chill for a second before attacking giving the boss enough time to catch up to me on the stairs.

I'm not at home atm, but when I get back I'll try it again. If I do get past this, please tell me that other bosses aren't as cheap as this one and don't use the games weaknesses against you.

Sajjaja

I do. I kill the dogs and as soon as I do the dude uses a jump attack on me, pretty much taking out 75% of my health. I can never kill the dogs and get off the stairs in time because the fuckers usually like to chill for a second before attacking giving the boss enough time to catch up to me on the stairs.

I'm not at home atm, but when I get back I'll try it again. If I do get past this, please tell me that other bosses aren't as cheap as this one and don't use the games weaknesses against you.

Most difficult boss in the game in my opinion. Mostly because of the environment and how narrow it is. Other bosses tend to be more fair, but the Capra Demon exploits the shit out of the narrowness. Guess what....(regards future mob encounters in different area)
you will face a minimum of 3 more in Demon Ruins, but thankfully it's in an open area.

Mxrz

Later on you'll fight enough of them to get the timing of their patterns down. Still its a damn hard boss on your first go, mostly cause your weapons and armor are likely weak. The best thing I found was to do a Benny-Hill style bit running up the steps and jumping down. The AI should keep switching directions. If you still have any pine resin, it can help a lot.

The book of the guilty stuff never made much sense to me. My 1st Dex / Dark Wraith character is no longer on there, I noticed. But my current parish/church invader is. Who knows. Not seen any leaderboard option on the PS3 side, but maybe Ive missed it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm about to get into Blighttown for real after dropping the game for a while. I've heard it's the worst area. Yeah. Ugh. Is this true? I did get an Eagle Shield though. And I've heard it's boss.
Gah, I missed the Eagle Shield for sure down there. Saw it in some video too -.-'

Blighttown is pretty tough. I had the Drake Sword too and it was still the toughest bit of the game thus far. A lot of ways to die, certainly in the second half of it your going to be hella frustrated. Also the framerate slows to a crawl with the game trying to keep up with it all.

Get ready to hate poison.

Get ready to hate poison.
if you have a high vit build, you pretty much shrug off poison and can disregard it completely. those toxic snipers can be annoying, but they don't respawn. so if you feel the need to take a trip back to the bonfire after taking one out, take it. at the most you'd only need 3 purple moss clumps for all of blighttown and you'll be fine. i'd also recommend a few homeward bones just incase (although i make sure to stock up on plenty regardless for every area).

2AdEPT

What you describe happens to me one in five times...the other four times I either spam chaos fireball after killing dogs (with lightning spear behind eagle shield....dogs are toast if you just hold up eagle sheild and peg them with the lightning spear, or jsut regualr winged spear if you don't have that yet.) or drop on his ugly face for big damage.....the eagle shiedl will stop him form hhuting you with his swings...the only one it won't block is when he doubles up and swings both in unison .

Just joined darkmoon covenant, is there a reason I continue to fail to invade? Just no1 around who's guilty? I can be hollow right?
yeah...its pretty sparse at times, other times it will improve....hang around anor londo main hall shoudl be good. The classsic place is painted world as you can farm reprisals there from the bird looking creatures and invade at the same time. Obviously if you can spare a ring slot you can get summoned to invade with gywndolin's ring she gave you on top of your blue orb thing.

Currently am wearing,

DK Greataxe +4
Canvas Talisman
Grass Crest Shield +15
Mask of the Father
Havel's Armor
Silver Knight Gauntlets +5
Silver Knight Leggings +5
Ring of Favor and Protection
Havel's Ring

-Doesn't thud roll.
-Against Anor Londo Gargoyles,
1 handed, RB: 370
1 handed, RT: 485
2 handed, RB: 461
2 handedh, RT(aoe slam special move): 911(direct hit)
-Dragon King greataxe also has a nice swing when coming out of a roll, big horizontal swing.

Won't put more into str I guess. If I want to mess with Smough's I'll 2h it. Still wondering what my faith is worth raising to. I don't know which spells are worth it and if I should just focus on endurance and health so I can replace the mask or a ring.

one of my characters had a tonnne of dragon scale so I maxed the axe and it reads 570 without modifiers or buffs...only 22 strength right now so still waiting....my smough hammer is maxed as well. I am going for 30 faith. As a darkmoon you will want to as well. This seems like the target for most spells (don't use wrath of god much so I can't remember its value) but emit force is only 18 req. its damage is middle of the road and not boss but it can knock over weaker mobs...has cool visuals and sound effects so a must have for boss fights...looks like you are using the force like Darth Vader. 20 gets you into the lightning spears, but 30 will give you the boss spears that OHK sliver knights with ring of first born and dusk tiara. You have ot be Darkmoon to use the darkmoon blade spell but not sunlight buff, which you can use as a slightly weaker alternative to Darkmoon but only if you just can't get darkmoon....as killing gwyndolin gets you the snlight buff but then kills your chance ot use darkmoon as killing her ends the covenenant. I amforced to use it as my BB glitched character is already level 2 darkmoon even before speaking to gywndolin...the game thinks I already have it but it doesn't port like all the other weaopons adn repirisla counts etc. Both these buffs require 30 faith. 50 fatih is too much likely for you for this character but you could get ultra lightning sunlight spears by using soul of Gwynn ...as mentioned only 5 and although powerful (1k hit with tiara and firt born ring), must be a sunbro...can't be darkmoon and sunbro at tthe same time.

@sullichin

I was fooling arond with the red dragon and waited for her to come forwrad on the bridge from the safe spot on the left....she sticks her face out if you just rotate to the right 90 degrees if you are facing the wall in tight......the face is all you see in your window.....somehow I timed it right and had darkmoon blade on my +15 washing pole. one up and one down combo of two-handed swings later the dragon was dead..... I did the combo and rlled to the other side expecting to try again form the other direction but the 10k souls were already registering. I killed the tail earlier if that made a difference not sure. any vertical swinging weaon can reach her face I think....chaos gret scythe would also work well I imagine so this may be a possible alternative for low level runs to kill the dragon without ultra cheapness?

30 Faith it is, thanks! Been using emit force for awhile now, not the most powerful thing but fun nonetheless. Going for darkmoon even though I can't stop getting backstabbed tonight.

Onemic

What you describe happens to me one in five times...the other four times I either spam chaos fireball after killing dogs (with lightning spear behind eagle shield....dogs are toast if you just hold up eagle sheild and peg them with the lightning spear, or jsut regualr winged spear if you don't have that yet.) or drop on his ugly face for big damage.....the eagle shiedl will stop him form hhuting you with his swings...the only one it won't block is when he doubles up and swings both in unison .

yeah...its pretty sparse at times, other times it will improve....hang around anor londo main hall shoudl be good. The classsic place is painted world as you can farm reprisals there from the bird looking creatures and invade at the same time. Obviously if you can spare a ring slot you can get summoned to invade with gywndolin's ring she gave you on top of your blue orb thing.

one of my characters had a tonnne of dragon scale so I maxed the axe and it reads 570 without modifiers or buffs...only 22 strength right now so still waiting....my smough hammer is maxed as well. I am going for 30 faith. As a darkmoon you will want to as well. This seems like the target for most spells (don't use wrath of god much so I can't remember its value) but emit force is only 18 req. its damage is middle of the road and not boss but it can knock over weaker mobs...has cool visuals and sound effects so a must have for boss fights...looks like you are using the force like Darth Vader. 20 gets you into the lightning spears, but 30 will give you the boss spears that OHK sliver knights with ring of first born and dusk tiara. You have ot be Darkmoon to use the darkmoon blade spell but not sunlight buff, which you can use as a slightly weaker alternative to Darkmoon but only if you just can't get darkmoon....as killing gwyndolin gets you the snlight buff but then kills your chance ot use darkmoon as killing her ends the covenenant. I amforced to use it as my BB glitched character is already level 2 darkmoon even before speaking to gywndolin...the game thinks I already have it but it doesn't port like all the other weaopons adn repirisla counts etc. Both these buffs require 30 faith. 50 fatih is too much likely for you for this character but you could get ultra lightning sunlight spears by using soul of Gwynn ...as mentioned only 5 and although powerful (1k hit with tiara and firt born ring), must be a sunbro...can't be darkmoon and sunbro at tthe same time.

@sullichin

I was fooling arond with the red dragon and waited for her to come forwrad on the bridge from the safe spot on the left....she sticks her face out if you just rotate to the right 90 degrees if you are facing the wall in tight......the face is all you see in your window.....somehow I timed it right and had darkmoon blade on my +15 washing pole. one up and one down combo of two-handed swings later the dragon was dead..... I did the combo and rlled to the other side expecting to try again form the other direction but the 10k souls were already registering. I killed the tail earlier if that made a difference not sure. any vertical swinging weaon can reach her face I think....chaos gret scythe would also work well I imagine so this may be a possible alternative for low level runs to kill the dragon without ultra cheapness?

So you need a spear? I have that dragon sword thing and the eagle shield(I think, some type of shield anyway)

2AdEPT

So you need a spear? I have that dragon sword thing and the eagle shield(I think, some type of shield anyway)

If you went backwards through blightown with the maser key then you have the eagle which is a very stable shield...the eagle shiedl is a mini greatsheild, square and has an eagle on it. Doesm't matter for the dogs..any shieldd will work on them....stability is the stat you are looking for here for capra...get whatever shield has the highest stability and use a spear or estoc (both are within stumbling distance of firelink) upgrade a bit adn watch the dogs and capra fall easier. If you time your attacks you don't even need a shield for capra though...he swings and misses anda has a long revovery time after each swing where you can get a shot in.....don't get too greedy get your shot and get out, then risne and repeat.

You don't have to have a spear, but the beauty of them for that fight (and actaully an even more annoyin part you will likely say is cheap in anor londo with archer knights) will definitely help as spears a dn teh estoc ar ethe only weapons that allow you to turtle up with your shield STILL HOLD IT UP and kill at the same time...watch your endurance for bigger enemies but dogs hit your shield, bouce off then you press r1 wth spear adn then there is no more dog.

There is a spear later in the game that is partly upgraded with lightning when you find it....its a good weapn.....so if you practive a bit with teh spears now you will be better with them later.

spoiler
the grass crest shield is the most used in hte game as it gives stamina recovery boost even when worn on your back...when a player gets good he/she will two hand most weapons and just wear this on the back....its in darkroot garden at the bottom of a gully.....it is well guarded though so bring some fight with you!
I used this sheild onthe dogs last time and it was good enough when upgraded.

Soulhouf

@sullichin

Chaos weapon didn't work since this dragon is very resistant to fire. Lightning however works great.

Just discovered the joys of the demon spear after all this time, good reach on that thing, nice back-up weapon.

Also trying Gravelording for the first time, is there anything special about the blue phantoms that invade through this method? That is, how do I know if a phantom is coming to my world because of that or just their own regular bluey invasion?

Sullichin

Just discovered the joys of the demon spear after all this time, good reach on that thing, nice back-up weapon.

Also trying Gravelording for the first time, is there anything special about the blue phantoms that invade through this method? That is, how do I know if a phantom is coming to my world because of that or just their own regular bluey invasion?

I believe that if they invaded via your gravelord sign, they will drop an eye of death if you kill them. Darkmoons and darkwraiths won't give you an eye of death if you kill them.

one of my character's anor londo has been seemingly perma-gravelorded for like a week now...

How on earth are people managing to beat the game at soul level 1? That is a serious, serious challenge that I wouldn't have thought possible until I saw it springing up on forums.

From what I gather, the way to do it is upgrading armour and weapons early on and keeping your humanity levels maxed out. It still seems like you'd be dying in one hit for the majority of the game though...

As for the Capra Demon, watching a youtube video is your best bet. Be sure to run to the right at the beginning of the battle and do a half crescent loop around his first swing to avoid it then get up those stairs whilst getting the lock on the dogs. Keep your shield up until the dogs lunge at you then swing promptly afterwards. If Capra comes too close up the stairs, edge out over the bit next to the tree; either he'll fall after swinging or you'll fall in which case he'll jump down after you and you can repeat the process.

He is one of the games tougher bosses, no doubt.

Just used the blue eye orb and I end up invading as a red phantom. I killed the guy and got 1 humanity. Definitely used the blue eye orb too. Is this a bug or is there a reason for this?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
How on earth are people managing to beat the game at soul level 1? That is a serious, serious challenge that I wouldn't have thought possible until I saw it springing up on forums.

From what I gather, the way to do it is upgrading armour and weapons early on and keeping your humanity levels maxed out. It still seems like you'd be dying in one hit for the majority of the game though...

It's not really that bad. I've done it twice, because apparently just one pointless exercise in masochism isn't enough to satisfy me. That probably reflects poorly upon my character, but oh well.

You basically just stock up on humanity, decide whether you like the Reinforced Club or Battle Axe better, upgrade your choice along the Chaos path as soon as you defeat Quelaag, upgrade your armor as the opportunity arises, and spend basically all your souls on upgrading your Pyromancy Flame. Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring are good to get your hands on early for a further boost in offensive potency.

Post-patch you can also make your early jaunt into the Catacombs to give the Chaos Ember to Vamos do double duty: kill the Necromancers and give the lantern one of them drops to the crow at the Undead Asylum for an early Ring of Fog. Pair it with the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and you can avoid a huge number of enemies, with the ones you can't avoid being well within your ability to dispatch using your Pyromancy and Chaos club/axe. This was the single biggest difference between my two runs, with the first being pre-patch and doing a lot more fighting as a result, and the second being post-patch and much more sneaking-oriented.

Upon reaching Anor Londo make a Lightning weapon to deal with the game's few fire-resistant enemies. For variety's make it whichever of the two main weapon choices you didn't ascend to Chaos.

The main hurdles are Ornstein & Smough and the Four Kings. If you can beat them the game's in the bag, really. I've not got much advice for either except to say that practice makes perfect. You're essentially just doing the same thing you do against them with a normal character except with a smaller margin of error. None of the other bosses pose much threat. Seath gets burned to death like no prob, Bed of Chaos is trivial once you learn the pattern, Nito ain't much to speak of if you've got the foresight to whip up a Divine weapon before you head down there, and Gwyn gets parried by a level 1 character same as he gets parried by a level dragonheadglitch character.

It's really a rather fun challenge. It's difficult, but far from onerously so, and you learn quite a lot of the ins and outs of the game by doing it. If nothing else you're fairly well guaranteed to come out the other side with a far better grasp of boss attack patterns than you had when you entered.

Just used the blue eye orb and I end up invading as a red phantom. I killed the guy and got 1 humanity. Definitely used the blue eye orb too. Is this a bug or is there a reason for this?

I've never had it happen personally, but you're far from the first person to mention attempting a Darkmoon invasion and getting a Darkwraith invasion instead. It seems from all reports to just be something that happens on occasion. The game's online component is a bit... finicky, after all.

Soulhouf

It's not really that bad. I've done it twice, because apparently just one pointless exercise in masochism isn't enough to satisfy me. That probably reflects poorly upon my character, but oh well.

You basically just stock up on humanity, decide whether you like the Reinforced Club or Battle Axe better, upgrade your choice along the Chaos path as soon as you defeat Quelaag, upgrade your armor as the opportunity arises, and spend basically all your souls on upgrading your Pyromancy Flame. Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring are good to get your hands on early for a further boost in offensive potency.

Post-patch you can also make your early jaunt into the Catacombs to give the Chaos Ember to Vamos do double duty: kill the Necromancers and give the lantern one of them drops to the crow at the Undead Asylum for an early Ring of Fog. Pair it with the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and you can avoid a huge number of enemies, with the ones you can't avoid being well within your ability to dispatch using your Pyromancy and Chaos club/axe. This was the single biggest difference between my two runs, with the first being pre-patch and doing a lot more fighting as a result, and the second being post-patch and much more sneaking-oriented.

Upon reaching Anor Londo make a Lightning weapon to deal with the game's few fire-resistant enemies. For variety's make it whichever of the two main weapon choices you didn't ascend to Chaos.

The main hurdles are Ornstein & Smough and the Four Kings. If you can beat them the game's in the bag, really. I've not got much advice for either except to say that practice makes perfect. You're essentially just doing the same thing you do against them with a normal character except with a smaller margin of error. None of the other bosses pose much threat. Seath gets burned to death like no prob, Bed of Chaos is trivial once you learn the pattern, Nito ain't much to speak of if you've got the foresight to whip up a Divine weapon before you head down there, and Gwyn gets parried by a level 1 character same as he gets parried by a level dragonheadglitch character.

It's really a rather fun challenge. It's difficult, but far from onerously so, and you learn quite a lot of the ins and outs of the game by doing it. If nothing else you're fairly well guaranteed to come out the other side with a far better grasp of boss attack patterns than you had when you entered.

This is true except for bosses. I would say it depends on player, the most annoying ones differ.
For me the hardest bosses by far were Seath and Gaping Dragon.
I learned well the pattern of Gaping Dragon so it's rare I get stomped now but since you fight him early with your shitty battle axe/reinforced club, the fight takes forever and so you're more exposed to do mistakes.
Seath is hard because every time I fight him, I need to cut his tail. You will be one shot whatever you get hit with this boss.

On the other hand 4 Kings and S&O are really easy. I soloed them and didn't die even once. To be fair 4 Kings are easier solo, perhaps that's why people are having trouble with them. It's still my favorite boss though.

Also, I beat the game SL2 cleric and what I can say from my experience it's way harder to beat the game SL2 cleric than SL1 pyro. And I beat every enemy, every boss in the game with that character.
If I was able to do it, everyone can do it as well. You need practice but it's not that hard.

What item/equipment would someone be using to make their health go incrementally up?

I invaded someone and besides their health being 2500+ it was going up slowly, like reverse poison.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
This is true except for bosses. I would say it depends on player, the most annoying ones differ.
For me the hardest bosses by far were Seath and Gaping Dragon.
I learned well the pattern of Gaping Dragon so it's rare I get stomped now but since you fight him early with your shitty battle axe/reinforced club, the fight takes forever and so you're more exposed to do mistakes.
Seath is hard because every time I fight him, I need to cut his tail. You will be one shot whatever you get hit with this boss.

On the other hand 4 Kings and S&O are really easy. I soloed them and didn't die even once. To be fair 4 Kings are easier solo, perhaps that's why people are having trouble with them. It's still my favorite boss though.

Also, I beat the game SL2 cleric and what I can say from my experience it's way harder to beat the game SL2 cleric than SL1 pyro. And I beat every enemy, every boss in the game with that character.
If I was able to do it, everyone can do it as well. You need practice but it's not that hard.

I'd imagine the loss of an Attunement slot would be the main difficulty multiplier for a Cleric. Them things is valuable when your offensive powerhouse is Pyromancy.

I found S&O and 4K difficult mainly for the whole "oh hey I got behind you *poke* YOU ARE DEAD" thing than anything else. There's not really any risk of somebody getting the drop on you from off-camera in any of the fights against a single opponent.

What item/equipment would someone be using to make their health go incrementally up?

I invaded someone and besides their health being 2500+ it was going up slowly, like reverse poison.

Sanctus gradually heals the bearer, but does so at a rate so slow that you likely wouldn't even notice it. It's more likely that your victim was using the Replenishment or Bountiful Sunlight Miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom