• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witch Cloak is pretty good and looks good for sorcerer characters. Dingy Robe has amazing stats and goes well with a lot of other pieces of armor. Poise is the most important stat though, so if you need poise then just mix in some heavy armor with a light armor Robe/Coat or Cloak and you'll still look pretty good. Or just wear the wolf ring and go light.

Question, how do I get the Dingy set? The firekeeper at the shrine has never vanished for me, that or I didn't bother looking after a certain point. Where and when does she leave the armor?

cj_iwakura

Question, how do I get the Dingy set? The firekeeper at the shrine has never vanished for me, that or I didn't bother looking after a certain point. Where and when does she leave the armor?

She has to vanish. (Or maybe a scavenger sells it later, dunno.)
Lautrec's the key to that.

She has to vanish. (Or maybe a scavenger sells it later, dunno.)
Lautrec's the key to that.

Ahh, just hit the Wiki and I guess Lautrec has to
kill her
. I always ended up just killing him for the Ring and Humanity immediately after freeing him. Guess I'll leave him alive on my next NG+.

Mephala

question.

Is a raw greatsword plus five the same thing as a greatsword plus ten, and if not, how do you get a sword to plus ten.
thanks

For + 10, you need the Large Ember from the Depths.
In a chest in the kitchen where the butcher was with the dogs.

For +15, New Londo Ruins.

Not sure how Raw measures up with +10 but +15 is definitely better than Raw.

Wowbagger

question.

Is a raw greatsword plus five the same thing as a greatsword plus ten, and if not, how do you get a sword to plus ten.
thanks

You need the Large Ember to upgrade weapons to +10. You also need large titanite shards. The ember is in the Depths. You can farm the slimes there, or the leeches in Blighttown, to get large shards early on, or buy them from merchants later in the game.

For + 10, you need the Large Ember from the Depths.
In a chest in the kitchen where the butcher was with the dogs.

For +15, New Londo Ruins.

Not sure how Raw measures up with +10 but +15 is definitely better than Raw.

i gave the blacksmith large ember and now im stuck with raw weapons. i must have done something else and not realized. which sucks cause im trying to make a cursed weapon so I can traverse New Londo ruins. ARGH this game.

Mephala

i gave the blacksmith large ember and now im stuck with raw weapons. i must have done something else and not realized. which sucks cause im trying to make a cursed weapon so I can traverse New Londo ruins. ARGH this game.

To make +10, you need to get +5, then speak to Andre and ask him to ascend it to +6. From there, go back to the normal Reinforcement option to continue and bump it up to +10.

I suggest you use Transient Curse items rather than going for a cursed weapon. If I recall correctly you can buy a couple from the Undead Female Merchant.

Wowbagger

From an article on vg247.com:

Artorias of the Abyssboth will come packaged with the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, due to release on August 24 for PC. Current Dark Souls owners will be able to purchase the new content from the same day for 1200 MS points on 360 or $14.99 on PS3. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will release for console later in the year.

Yes! :D I thought console players had to wait until winter, but it seems that's just for the new disc version.

question.

thanks
raw is generally for new characters that can't afford to upgrade to a better path yet. its very easy to max out a raw weapon which will put its base damage higher than a normal+10. however, it has a lower scaler so if you have high strength (maybe around 40+), the normal+10 will be better for you. the greatsword already has a high str req, so you may as well just do the normal upgrade path, especially if you plan on getting it to +14/+15 in the end anyways.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/greatsword

Sullichin

It sounds to me like they're just not doing any specific optimizations for the framerate. I would be really surprised if a good gaming PC couldn't provide better performance in these areas. Not really worried about it. It will be an improvement from consoles and I'm getting it day 1.

My gravelorded Anor Londo is insane. It's been like this for a few days. SL132, NG++ or NG+++, AL is dark. Thought I'd do some O&S co-op but getting to the inner bonfire from the chamber of the princess is really difficult. The two npc enemies that appear outside the boss chamber in dark londo are really strong now, but the real problem are the black phantom silver knights. Holy crap. I think I have to go through 5 of these badasses to get to the bonfire. It's quite a bit easier to go by way of the two infamous archers, in the dark (I thought wrongly that maybe they wouldn't appear in dark londo), than it is to get past the black phantoms. Is being gravelorded more common at higher levels? This is the only character i've leveled this high, and it's the only one whose been getting gravelorded this much. Some of the BP enemy placements are dastardly. I love it.

Sullichin

Another E3 interview http://www.at7addak.com/en/Articles/225899/Features/PC/E3-2012-Interview-Daisuke-Uchiyama
Not much information, but this is bizarre. Perhaps the addition of voice chat is not what we think at all.

What about the online plan? Is it going to be the same way the console or you’re expanding on that since online services are more stable than console ones?

For the online itself, it is obviously as you know a very unique approach to connectivity with Dark Souls, and that was a big factor of the gameplay. We don’t intend on adding anything into that because it’s on PC, but we’ve included new items that could help on interacting with fellow Souls, such as the Thank You Carving, a rock that you toss on the ground to scream the tense "Thank You". Adding that sort of voice online factor will add on the online experience.

That voice item sounds like what I thought it might be, basically a voice version of the message stone maybe?

I would much prefer that to voice chat stuff, DS isn't that game for me, and I really don't need to know the mother mask/giant armour/well what is it gesturing twerp that just chain backstabbed me in Undead Parish @ lvl5 is a screeching 13 year old boy!

Mxrz

I really hope that is the case.

Forbes said:
According to the Japanese trailer for the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, the console DLC will be available on October 25th.
There seems to be some confusion, but either beats "Winter." $14.99 is a little pricy, but Bandai :(

For doing New Londo, you have three choices. You can stock up on as many Transient Curses as the merchant near the Depths will sell you (ghosts will also drop these), become cursed by the lizards and tackle it Demon's-style (what I did my first playthrough :p), or beat Sif and create the cursed Greatsword. The ghosts will also occasionally drop two different daggers that can hurt them.

But be aware that unless you are "cursed" you can't block the ghost attacks, only hurt them.

Dresden

The cursed weapons all blow chunks, so Transient Curses are all you need, pretty much.

It's short enough and there's enough refills in the level that you can just take two or four into New Londo and it'll be sufficient.

The cursed weapons all blow chunks, so Transient Curses are all you need, pretty much.

It's short enough and there's enough refills in the level that you can just take two or four into New Londo and it'll be sufficient.

Don't even need that. You can find 2 right before the bridge to the ghosts, and a few more around the level. More then enough.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Why do the cursed weapons suck exactly????

They're generally weak compared to other weapons, have short range, crummy movesets, absurd stat requirements, or some combination thereof.

The biggest drawback of using cursed weapons is that you can't block the ghosts if you're not under the effect of a curse yourself. You also can't use spells to kill them if you're using a cursed weapon.

Trying to clear New Londo using just a cursed weapon is an exercise in pure frustration, essentially. If you've got a hankering for pain then go for it, otherwise just use Transient Curses.

What's your guys opinion on mask of the father?

Like all the masks, it's tragically useful.

Mxrz

I realized today I wouldn't hate them so much if they didn't look so awful.

Really want to try gravelording at the parish, if only to get other people to do it. I want black phantom enemies, dammit.

hahaha! :(

I feel so dirty but as soon as I get invaded I switch out my headgear for child or mother, depending on if I'm playing cat and mouse or going straight for the kill. The mother mask has saved me a few times from getting one-hit killed from a backstab.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
That's why you hold it in both hands so you can block with it.

Why do you bother blocking the ghosts?
2 hand your weapon and swing. They will usually die in 1-2 hits.

I never block the ghosts anymore seeing as how I've done New Londo approximately infinity times, but for someone who's never done it before I think the whole "No curse means no shield" rule is good to know. Not entirely understanding how the curse mechanics worked was a source of great consternation my first time through the game, and is part of what led to me adopting the Zombie Streaker approach to New Londo the first time I completed it. A method which, while amusing, is far from effective. Better to spare new players that, I think.

2AdEPT

I never block the ghosts anymore seeing as how I've done New Londo approximately infinity times, but for someone who's never done it before I think the whole "No curse means no shield" rule is good to know. Not entirely understanding how the curse mechanics worked was a source of great consternation my first time through the game, and is part of what led to me adopting the Zombie Streaker approach to New Londo the first time I completed it. A method which, while amusing, is far from effective. Better to spare new players that, I think.

GOod points...i always put the coventous serpent ring on in order to try to get more jagged blades*, and more slabs for the Darkwraiths...but I still just "run through" the area under the gate keeper....and die like a noob on occasion using this method.......the ghosts are by far the most annoying creatures in the game and dare I say it is "unfair" when you stand right in front of the beggers, with full curse ON, and yet occasionally your attacks whiff conmpletely? I have tried chaos storm and WOG and these never wrok consistently in that area as some are still in the walls and reaching through to get you, while you can not penetrate the walls more than a couple inches to get them. Yes. I said it...there is poor design in that area.... Illike challenges that make sense but that area IS the one area in the entire series I think is too tough for all the wrong reasons.

* jagged blades are cursed but don't work on ghosts that well owing to the reasons above....and they can not be buffed.....Notwithstanding I just love the idea of hitting some enemy with a combo that hits them 6 times for two R2 presses....I have yet to use the full combo and have all 4 secondary stabs hit (either the angle is wrong, they have enough poise ot get out of stun lock, or they simply dies on the first flurry...but I am going to try harder to find the right enemy or the right situation to do this....I couldn't hink of a better way for a ganker to die...hope it is possible if not probable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Watching my friend play this game for the first time :lol

So hilarious!

edit: first he spent 1 hour on the skeletons in the graveyard. And now he went to Londo Ruins and spent another hour there, hahahhaa

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And now he's exploring Valley of Drakes XD

Yoshichan

He's going through Blighttown now :lol Wow, he hasn't even touched Undead Burg, like 6 hours in!

Soulhouf

@Yoshichan: lol that's exactly what I did when I started the game the first time.
Big time.

I just managed to beat the game SL2 cleric.
My challenge was to get everything and beat every boss at that level:

Au51aWyCEAEiJKr.jpg

The most difficult challenge was the Red Dragon. I took me like 10 tries before I beat it.
Now I can finally move to another game... or not

MAAAAN, I used to love the halberd in Demon's Souls but the stumbling animation ruins it. :(
it only stumbles on whiff i thought? i like it as a 1hand weapon, but i mostly tend to stick with 2h weapons and its 2h heavy swing does no damage at all. its got good range, but i can never really find a situation where i'd need that wide of an arc. you should try the great scythe.

MAAAAN, I used to love the halberd in Demon's Souls but the stumbling animation ruins it. :(

Yeah, I miss the stock Halberd animations from Demon's, going from the one-handed to two-handed always felt great.

They also ruined the Scimitar moves and animations, I loved rocking a Scimitar (especially Large Sword of Searching) in Demon's...now I've abandoned the weapon altogether.

Wowbagger

Don't forget its superior sibling, the Mirdan Hammer! Besides the same clunky moveset as the Halberd, its DaS equivalent, the Lucerne, has a weird stamina bug when one-handing it: the third and fifth strikes of a combo drain double stamina. With stamina maxed, you can attack seven times with a Halberd, but only five with a Lucerne, despite the weapons one-handed attacks costing the same amount of stamina. Two-handing the weapons, you can do five attacks with both.

Cranzor

I just started playing this and I am kind of lost. Just a few questions.

1. Is it a huge deal if you lose your souls? I lost about 4000 and I don't know if that's a big deal or not.
2. How do you figure out how to kill some of the harder enemies? I found one somewhere underground and it just destroyed me.
3. What is the purpose of invading another world?

1. Is it a huge deal if you lose your souls? I lost about 4000 and I don't know if that's a big deal or not.
2. How do you figure out how to kill some of the harder enemies? I found one somewhere underground and it just destroyed me.

1. Feels like a big deal at first but you will replace them easy enough(and lose much more in the process)
2. If you are in an area where enemies are decimating you odds are you should go in another direction. You may have stumbled into something you were meant to go through at a higher level.
3. Successfully invading nets you humanity. But most of the point is just getting some pvp action. Also depending on your covenant you get rewards.

Cranzor

What killed you?

I don't know the name of it. It is very early in the game. I walked down some stairs and it was facing away from me at the end of a hall way. It was some sort of knight in black armor. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Any tips for the Taurus Demon? It killed me twice and I didn't even get its health half way down.

Mxrz

I don't know the name of it. It is very early in the game. I walked down some stairs and it was facing away from me at the end of a hall way. It was some sort of knight in black armor. I'm not sure if that helps or not.

Any tips for the Taurus Demon? It killed me twice and I didn't even get its health half way down.

That's a non respawning Knight. There's a bleh ring behind it. You can always come back but Knights are usually slow. You can lead it up the steps to the more open spot, and just block & get behind it for back stabs.

Taurus Demon - Climb the tower behind where you enter, and drop down on it like you did the demon during the tutorial. The lightning resin you get earlier can help too.

Booshka

Losing the humanity in your bloodstain is a bigger deal than losing the souls, those are harder to come by for newer players. You can farm souls later on, and you don't really need to now that soul payouts are higher than they were pre-patch. Don't worry about it too much though. Learn the mechanics and progress, even if you die your way forward, you'll get better and start to lose your bloodstain less often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom