• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akainu

Opps I just beat Gwyn and got the dark lord ending. I thought that since the fog was gone I'd go back and use his souls to level up. Oh well.

Soulhouf

I'd imagine the loss of an Attunement slot would be the main difficulty multiplier for a Cleric. Them things is valuable when your offensive powerhouse is Pyromancy.

I found S&O and 4K difficult mainly for the whole "oh hey I got behind you *poke* YOU ARE DEAD" thing than anything else. There's not really any risk of somebody getting the drop on you from off-camera in any of the fights against a single opponent.

Well, with a chaos reinforced club you manage easily to beat each king before another shows up but you have to solo them. The spawn rate is higher if you fight this boss co-op, especially with that useless npc phantom.

S&O needs some practice but you can easily keep them in your field of vision and beat Orstein first.

And yeah you're right regarding the attunement slots. I had to use the ring that adds a slot in TotG for example.
Also having less endurance can screw you.

Sanctus gradually heals the bearer, but does so at a rate so slow that you likely wouldn't even notice it. It's more likely that your victim was using the Replenishment or Bountiful Sunlight Miracles.
There are things like this that intrigue me - I invaded in Undead Parish, so the player can't have got any equipment/miracles from later areas, so they must've gotten the Sanctus or replenishment by going to ToG first - interesting playstyle, to go get the goodies from ToG before even ringing the first bell - I guess it's not so difficult to get to Rhea, she appears back at Firelink without killing Nito right, unlike Patches.

Tdog987

Started DS back up.

Making a new one...

Going sorcery...

Question...what weapons should i be using for the front, middle, towards the end of the game?

There are things like this that intrigue me - I invaded in Undead Parish, so the player can't have got any equipment/miracles from later areas, so they must've gotten the Sanctus or replenishment by going to ToG first - interesting playstyle, to go get the goodies from ToG before even ringing the first bell - I guess it's not so difficult to get to Rhea, she appears back at Firelink without killing Nito right, unlike Patches.

Or the player might have been on NG+

krakov

If you go to ToG before placing the lordvessel Leeroy won't spawn. In other words, what you are describing isn't possible. Since everyone is using the BB glitch now nothing like that really matters anymore. Every single area is filled with twinked out dudes that may or may not be NG+. The game might as well hand you every single piece of equipment right at the start.

Could I invade him at SL100+ I was only lvl 12?

I guess he was just glitched, you do run in to it a lot - often for me it's the helper phantoms the host has summoned as opposed to the host themselves - I run away and use the go home stone, not even gonna give them the satisfaction of killing me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay. Just started and finished the tutorial. For one, I like that you are able to actually BEAT the damn boss this outing compared to Demon's Souls. But on the other hand the game seems WAAAAAY easier so far even though I'm using Depraved compared to Demon's Souls starting area.

I do like that they dropped tendencies since those were completely stupid in the online environment. But what the hell is Humanity?

Also is there NO way to make a left-handed character? I can't use a weapon despite it equipping it in my left hand? WTF.

Akainu

Okay. Just started and finished the tutorial. For one, I like that you are able to actually BEAT the damn boss this outing compared to Demon's Souls. But on the other hand the game seems WAAAAAY easier so far even though I'm using Depraved compared to Demon's Souls starting area.
You can beat the first boss in Demon's Souls.

Mxrz

Humanity is like a currency. You can spend it on some covenants, or to turn 'human,' or strengthen a bonfire. Passively it increase Item-Find, gives a little to resistances, and raises the damage of Chaos weapons. The counter at the top shows how much active humanity you have. 1 to 99(+).

It can be increased by using the "Humanity" item, killing a Darkwraith or Host, or from killing enemies in an area where you haven't defeated the boss.

The Parish is low-level / bb central. That's part of its charm. With how Dark Souls is setup, and at this point in the game's life the majority of players are going to be rocking max-gear at about every level.

2AdEPT

Chaos weapon didn't work since this dragon is very resistant to fire. Lightning however works great.
you are right...tried chaos and it didn't work...but also because the face didn't line up just perfect like it did when I used the washing pole....it was a lucky bounce for sure.

Started DS back up.

Making a new one...

Going sorcery...

Question...what weapons should i be using for the front, middle, towards the end of the game?

If you are trying for pure sorcerer with no strength or dex weapons there are a couple go to weapons, but you can choose STR or DEX take them +15 and just buff your weapon with crystal magic weapon. You can make any weapon magic or enchanted, but these are not maxing the damage potential so most don't bother. Assuming you want 50 magic and to do the pure magic path without these though you can do the following for each segment:

early - boost magic one point to 16 for heavy great soul arrow...you will be able to get it by saving griggs of vinheim from the lower burg. You need the basement key for this, but don't have to beat any bosses. I would suggest saving the bosses til later so that you can do all bosses with the magic you acquire....the lowest level magic you get in the tutorial is useable but not really viable or fun to use really. Rickert will give you middle of the raod souls arrows.....but you wnat the better ones before going too far. So before going to bosses get a better catalyst...the OOlacile catayst has waaay better damage reduction, plus doing all the oolacile stuff gets you the dusk crown which boosts damage as well. Only problem is that you prety much need a sharp cutting weapon to chop off the hydra snake heads....whenever I tried to lock on to the hydra and use magic the magic did not register....so I just reverted to using my astora sword or winged spear...these will take mior leveling though in str/dex. If you want to stay authentic you can get the tin banishment catalyst from the back door of blightown (and many's fav sorcerer cloak) ...the catalyst does not have really high magic power but you can useit as a spear type weapon which actually does decent damge. You can get souls to purchase the dargoncrest ring from griggs of vinheim but it costs a lot. The easiest is to go to the garden and pull cheap methods of killing all the guardians, but you can also get 1500 per run getting the ogres in the tunnel cave from the drakes to blightown to fall down the cliff by waiting on the ladder.....fightingthem is possible but take ssome time without uppgraded equipment. Once you have the good catalyst, dragoncrest ring, and dusk crown youcan start feeling the power of the sorcerer at the llwest possible level. The other magic you can buy from the dusk of oolacile is very fun for multiplayer and useful throughout the game....start upgrading magic slots!

middle - for me, getting the most power at the earliest point is important...enables me to experience more of the game with out going to NG+ so ringing both bells is a priority....and then for a magic character the first goal is to be able to purchase better stuff from big hat logan who you can save first in sens fortress and then later in Dukes archives. Another option for physical weapon that scales with magic is moonlight butterfly spear...you will need to upgrade your spear to plus 10 then transform it in anor londo by visiting the blacksmith and giving him the soul of the moonlight butterfly. One of the mimics gives you an enchanted painted guardian sword I think, but this is not a great weapon IMO. once you get to Dukes you cna get rare drops of the channellers trident.

Late - you want to chop off seath's tail and clean out big hat logan...then you can experience the game as a powerful sorcerer!

Recarpo

So I started up a new character to play with a buddy of mine and we haven't had too much of an issue summoning each other until we hit the tomb of the giants. We can't see each others signs at all, or anybody else's for that fact, by the bonfires in the tomb. We're both in the way of the white covenant and we're 3 levels apart from each other, 68/71, anybody know a reason or a fix for this? We've tried at different places all over the tomb of the giants and still nothing. Spent a good hour over the past couple of days trying and nothing has worked so far.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Opps I just beat Gwyn and got the dark lord ending. I thought that since the fog was gone I'd go back and use his souls to level up. Oh well.
Hah, I did that on my very first playthrough. Spent all my time being a goody-two-shoes, all ready to link the flame, and oop, I'm Lord of Dark.

I know you've all probably seen it, but I caught the Sanctuary Guardian footage at E3 and I'm super pumped for the expansion. Not gonna watch any more footage, though. It'll be interesting seeing how DLC works out for a Souls game...

Wired

Thinking about getting back into Dark Souls since I took a prolonged break some weeks after release, however should I keep from patching it up to 1.05 for some reason (think I read about some nerfs and whatnot a while back) or should I just go on and let it patch up?

Thanks and so on :p

Thinking about getting back into Dark Souls since I took a prolonged break some weeks after release, however should I keep from patching it up to 1.05 for some reason (think I read about some nerfs and whatnot a while back) or should I just go on and let it patch up?

Thanks and so on :p

Go ahead and let it patch, seems a lot more balanced now. Unless you're really wanting to use the Crystal Eye Shield or Iron Flesh exploits there's little reason to not patch.

I like that you are able to actually BEAT the damn boss this outing compared to Demon's Souls.
I put Demon's in the other day and began playing and I was a couple of hits away from beating him for the first time, my downfall was moving away rather than staying on top and strafing - his movements were exactly the same as the Dark Souls ones, so I think coming back to it made it far easier than I remember.

Wolfe

Wanted to pimp a video made by my friend for Dark Souls, it's his first so excuse the quality. This is his Maneater Mildred Level 25 character that he invades with in Blighttown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFx_8V-uOoU&context=C378ab94ADOEgsToPDskIXESlSNO7olZbmTOvSUYgC

So I know this is six months old by now but it cracked me up so here goes.

I was reading through this thread while at work a bit today and I ending up watching the above video (and subsequent discussion) because of it.

Fast forward to this afternoon after I got home from work. I start playing some Dark Souls and decide to head into Blighttown on my lvl 30 guy that I made after I beat the game for the first time last week (didn't pick it up till a couple weeks ago). So I restore my humanity and head out to kill Quelaag and ring the second bell. Of course the whole way there I'm thinking about getting invaded and that I don't have the greatest track record with pvping just yet, but so far so good as I make my way down to the waterwheel. I drop down to the ground and almost instantly I am invaded. I walked forward (few meters in front of where that cat covenant guy would be standing) and just stood there. Then I read half the name and thought that it would be funny if it ended up being the same guy from the video, I read it again the whole thing this time and sure enough it's him. I instantly flash back to the video and think that I might as well just stand here and try parrying him.

I spot him in the distance running through the swamp looking for me. Once he see's me it's a b-line to my location, does a running attack and I fucking nailed it! Took him out in one riposte, I was a little surprised I pulled it off but then I just laughed cause it was a rush. After that I hit up and kindled the bonfire then caught a summon sign around the corner and added a co-op buddy to my roster. Upon reaching the fog gate I summoned the NPC Mildred for kicks and then take out the boss in one go.

This and Demon's are so fun that I can't get enough, I actually ended up getting a PS3 after playing Demon's at a buddys place :D

TheSeks

I'm so glad I wiki'ed the Dragon Tail Sword bit. Soooo good for a Level 12 Depraved if a little luck based. Help me get to the Firelink Shrine Elevator Shortcut and then the roof boss who promptly kicked my ass when I tried to do some decent damage against him with it. :(

Calling it a night right there. Got to the blacksmith in that area as well and went down the steps and saw some demon firing magic at me to where I "NOPE.AVI"'d my ass out of there.

Wolfe

So I know this is six months old by now but it cracked me up so here goes.

I was reading through this thread while at work a bit today and I ending up watching the above video (and subsequent discussion) because of it.

Fast forward to this afternoon after I got home from work. I start playing some Dark Souls and decide to head into Blighttown on my lvl 30 guy that I made after I beat the game for the first time last week (didn't pick it up till a couple weeks ago). So I restore my humanity and head out to kill Quelaag and ring the second bell. Of course the whole way there I'm thinking about getting invaded and that I don't have the greatest track record with pvping just yet, but so far so good as I make my way down to the waterwheel. I drop down to the ground and almost instantly I am invaded. I walked forward (few meters in front of where that cat covenant guy would be standing) and just stood there. Then I read half the name and thought that it would be funny if it ended up being the same guy from the video, I read it again the whole thing this time and sure enough it's him. I instantly flash back to the video and think that I might as well just stand here and try parrying him.

I spot him in the distance running through the swamp looking for me. Once he see's me it's a b-line to my location, does a running attack and I fucking nailed it! Took him out in one riposte, I was a little surprised I pulled it off but then I just laughed cause it was a rush. After that I hit up and kindled the bonfire then caught a summon sign around the corner and added a co-op buddy to my roster. Upon reaching the fog gate I summoned the NPC Mildred for kicks and then take out the boss in one go.

This and Demon's are so fun that I can't get enough, I actually ended up getting a PS3 after playing Demon's at a buddys place :D

So it turns out that was just an NPC lol! Definitely takes a bit of the fun out of it :p, still was a super fun encounter though!

Btw does that bottomless box trick still work? It might be kinda fun running through the game from level 1 with end game gear without having to beat the game first.

spekkeh

Banned
So LTTP, but I started playing Dark Souls the other day to see what the hubbub is about. I finished the tutorial stage of sorts and got to the first outdoors area where you talk to someone at the campfire who tells you you either have to go up or down. I went up, died a few times, but then had a really good thing going. I played for about thirty minutes but didn't encounter a single campfire since. I then died and was transported back to the campfire with the dude.

Is this normal, or did I miss a campfire somewhere?

spekkeh

Banned
Also, is there a way to understand what your items mean or do? Because the help system isn't really helpful and nothing happens if I e.g. use a soul, save for some numbers go up in the bottom right of the screen.

So LTTP, but I started playing Dark Souls the other day to see what the hubbub is about. I finished the tutorial stage of sorts and got to the first outdoors area where you talk to someone at the campfire who tells you you either have to go up or down. I went up, died a few times, but then had a really good thing going. I played for about thirty minutes but didn't encounter a single campfire since. I then died and was transported back to the campfire with the dude.

Is this normal, or did I miss a campfire somewhere?

There's a second before quite close to the one in the hub,
just after the dragon flies to infront of you in Undead Burg

Also, is there a way to understand what your items mean or do? Because the help system isn't really helpful and nothing happens if I e.g. use a soul, save for some numbers go up in the bottom right of the screen.

Check the wiki or just try around. You'll get the hang of it soonish.

Wowbagger

So I started up a new character to play with a buddy of mine and we haven't had too much of an issue summoning each other until we hit the tomb of the giants. We can't see each others signs at all, or anybody else's for that fact, by the bonfires in the tomb. We're both in the way of the white covenant and we're 3 levels apart from each other, 68/71, anybody know a reason or a fix for this? We've tried at different places all over the tomb of the giants and still nothing. Spent a good hour over the past couple of days trying and nothing has worked so far.

You have placed the Lordvessel, right? Can't summon down there until the yellow fog is gone.

Recarpo

You have placed the Lordvessel, right? Can't summon down there until the yellow fog is gone.

Yep, I figured that out. Had been a while since I had played and completely forgot about the yellow fog around. Still took a while going to another area, but we finally got it together.

Yopis

I do like that they dropped tendencies since those were completely stupid in the online environment. But what the hell is Humanity?

Also is there NO way to make a left-handed character? I can't use a weapon despite it equipping it in my left hand? WTF.

At first game seemed easy enough but overall I think Dark Souls is the harder game. What do others think?

TheSeks

w00t, run the first bell in three days. (Granted, that's about 10-14 hours playtime) so reached level 20. Hoorah, had to unhollow and summon the two AI's to help me so I could get the tail drop but I got that and the helm. So, yay.

Where do I go from here?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
w00t, run the first bell in three days. (Granted, that's about 10-14 hours playtime) so reached level 20. Hoorah, had to unhollow and summon the two AI's to help me so I could get the tail drop but I got that and the helm. So, yay.

Where do I go from here?

Anywhere you want. Cast loose the shackles of proscribed progression and be free!

Or you could take the door near where you met Solaire down to the Lower Undead Burg, which will ultimately lead you to the Depths, which will ultimately lead you to the universally-beloved best area in Dark Souls.

You could also tackle Darkroot Garden if you have not yet done so. If you've rung the first bell you should be strong enough to handle anything it has to throw at you. Just don't stumble into the Darkroot Basin. Or do. It'll be fun, I promise.

Anywhere you want. Cast loose the shackles of proscribed progression and be free!

Or you could take the door near where you met Solaire down to the Lower Undead Burg, which will ultimately lead you to the Depths, which will ultimately lead you to the universally-beloved best area in Dark Souls.

You could also tackle Darkroot Garden if you have not yet done so. If you've rung the first bell you should be strong enough to handle anything it has to throw at you. Just don't stumble into the Darkroot Basin. Or do. It'll be fun, I promise.

Or into the Valley of the Drakes, although rushing the Red Tearstone Ring might be a good idea if anybody wants to snipe anything (the Red Dragon specifically).

Darkroot Basin is actually easy, until NG+ when the damn Crystal Golems have enough health to follow you into the water and sneak up on you trying to do the Hydra. But avoiding the magic blasts is the most annoying part easily, and the cats too if you don't cheese them.

TheSeks

Er-So there is no 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 2-2, 4-3, 3-4, 2-3, 2-4, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 1-3, 1-4 line like DeS?

Just fired up my NG+++ and went to kill the
Four Kings
. Using my quick brute force two-handed melee strategy like always...didn't work so well this time. Power Within saved my ass on this one, and even with that I was doing tiny little chunks of damage with my Fire Halberd +10. Even had to deal with two kings at once at a point.

But feels good to conquer them early on again, and now I can warp. SL145.

I keep getting mashed by the 'Stray Demon' boss. I am a agile but relatively weak melee character and have been using the drake sword. Any tips.

Thanks in advance.

I keep getting mashed by the 'Stray Demon' boss. I am a agile but relatively weak melee character and have been using the drake sword. Any tips.

Thanks in advance.

Run to him, start to strafe to it's side and attack until he does the jumping attack, roll/run backwards and repeat until dead.

ixix

Er-So there is no 1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 2-2, 4-3, 3-4, 2-3, 2-4, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 1-3, 1-4 line like DeS?

Nope. Dark Souls is more akin to something like Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night in terms of level progression, there's no hard and fast delineation of stages as such.

There are two major plot events that open up more of the world, but beyond that the game is mostly free-form in terms of progression. Once you know your way around vast swathes of it can actually be skipped entirely.

I played DkS first time in about 2 months and finally got past the archers with my lvl 1 character. Next up: Lightning Battle Axe +4 and S&O, uh oh.

2AdEPT

Thanks in advance.

best to stick to a formula for this beast...the same formual can be used on firesage demon as well. First, you are as good as dead if he hits you with his hammer.....so stay behind him at all times....this requires tenacity but is not difficult once you get teh hang of it. The hardest part is getting behind him the first time.....run toward him like was mentioned but as soon as he winds up to hit you dodge to the side and if you have darkwood grain ring on you will end up behind him faster. He will IMMEDIATELY try to either AOE you to death, turn to face you, or jump in the air in order to bum stomp you. As long as you don't lock on it is easy to stay behind him for the latter, but with the AOE you have to retreat a bit...you will get used too how far awway you have to be to avoid the AOE. At times, he will do AOE like 3-4 times in a row with you getting your two hand drake hits in between each.....only take two swings, 3 if you are very experienced, then back away form his ass.

Thanks in advance.

Also remember that Stray Demon is weak to fire, so equip your best stat stacked (abandon the Drake Sword) weapon and apply some charcoal resin to it, it'll make the fight a bit quicker. As said just stay to his side or directly behind him and try not to get cornered as he swivels around. Whenever he commits to his AOE attack, that's your chance to two-hand and get a two hit combo or heal or apply more resin. Just don't get greedy when you go in to attack, and don't underestimate the range of his magic blast.

The Cresent Shield is also a must for early play (you get it from the Hollow Knight you kill earlier). So the idea is to circle him with the shield up, dodging when necessary to the side, wait for his AOE attack and attack him, apply resin or heal. Repeat until dead.

If you have Pyromancy that will help too, just spam him with fireballs instead of attacking until depleted.

TheSeks

Question: Do any of the NPCs I have to worry about, like Yurt the Silent Chief?

Question: Do any of the NPCs I have to worry about, like Yurt the Silent Chief?

Lautrec is pretty much this game's Yurt, but he only kills Firelink's firekeeper. Petrus will kill a NPC you can save if you don't kill him first also. Always gives me great pleasure to kill Petrus, like the first swig of a cold Pepsi on a hot day.

TheSeks

Lautrec is pretty much this game's Yurt, but he only kills Firelink's firekeeper. Petrus will kill a NPC you can save if you don't kill him first also. Always gives me great pleasure to kill Petrus, like the first swig of a cold Pepsi on a hot day.

Those are the two I was thinking I had to worry about. The former said he was going to kill someone, so I was worried. It seems if you let him do the Yurt thing on someone, you get their armor and his later. Which seems to be no downside other than an annoyance to enhance an item later.

The latter seems to do nothing but give you Sin after you abuse their shopping and get mostly useless information from them. Guess after talking to the person that joins up with them, I'll kill them and feel no remorse (but have to absolve myself of sin) for doing it.

Edit: Oh, you don't get a pendant if they kill someone, but that's minor since it's useless and not really required for a trophy, right? But still no big deal if they kill that person so long as you get the stuff they have before that person kills them.

Yo Gotti

Banned
So glad to see this topic is still floating around at the top. Amazing.

I'm gonna have to start a new game sometime to make a build for the upcoming DLC. Gotta kill
Artorias
with
his own weapon
. :D

ixix

After watching EpicNameBro's lore videos on Youtube, I've done some thinking about the lore myself. Mostly the Dark=Human idea, but also some minor ideas about Nito and Gwyndolin's role in the game, as well as those mysterious pisacas in Duke's Archive.

Full blog here: http://www.beardednerd.se/some-lore-thoughts-on-dark-souls/

I'd paste it all in here but it'd need to be mostly spoiler marked.

There's no need to speculate on the origins of the creatures in the cell in the Archives. They're
the maidens that Seath experiments on that are kidnapped for him by the Channelers.
They're explicitly stated to be such by one item or another. The cell key, maybe. By my dozenth time reading all of the item descriptions they started to bleed together a bit, admittedly. If you play your cards right you can even
have Rhea get captured by the Channelers and taken there.

Gwyndolin's pretty expressly anti-
Dark Lord
ending.
If you kill him he castigates you for being "swathed in Dark" in the ensuing cutscene. He also spends all his time in Gwyn's tomb and after you kill him you can see there are flowers on the mega-coffin itself. I think it's a bit of a stretch to think he's in league with Kaathe.

Nito's basically never elaborated upon. He and the Witch of Izalith are sort of the children of neglect in terms of actual direct exposition. You could hypothesize that the two of them ran a charity that granted scholarships in the hard sciences to orphaned kittens without the game really going out of its way to correct you. Real shame what happened to the two of them. Anti-feline prejudice in STEM programs is pervasive and reprehensible.

Hmmm, I went and read the key descriptions. Seems that only the two special ones are
maidens that were experimented on, and the rest are "others".
Still, seems like that was fairly obvious even without reading item descriptions then.

It does suggest some sort of antagonism between
Seath and everyone connected to the "good" factions. Speaking of which, I'm not sure where Solaire and his group figures in all this, considering that Way of White and Sunbros are sort of allies with Princess Guard, at least in terms of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom