• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Try Super Orstein. For some reason I found him easier with my SL2 character.

Yeah I also suggest super ornstein. I wound up wearing his armor quite a bit in my SL1 run. Don't think I would have rocked Smough's. You can poison/toxic him to whittle away his health while you run around waiting for a good time to attack (think you can poison smough too, but I find this strategy more helpful for ornstein for some reason). First half of the battle is tougher. You'll get it.

Super Ornstein eh? That's interesting. I'll try it tomorrow. I have only won SO solo once before but considering I find the first part so random it gets stupidly hard every other try hitting Smough first could be easier.

Thanks for the tip

2AdEPT

Yeah I also suggest super ornstein. I wound up wearing his armor quite a bit in my SL1 run. Don't think I would have rocked Smough's. You can poison/toxic him to whittle away his health while you run around waiting for a good time to attack (think you can poison smough too, but I find this strategy more helpful for ornstein for some reason). First half of the battle is tougher. You'll get it.

Wow i thought you couldn't poison bosses.....guess I never tried cause I thought it was impossible?!?! iF that makes sense? thousands of hours in BTW. Must be pretty futile though now that I think of it as it must be too small an amount unless you fight for 1 hr plus?

Sullichin

Super Ornstein eh? That's interesting. I'll try it tomorrow. I have only won SO solo once before but considering I find the first part so random it gets stupidly hard every other try hitting Smough first could be easier.

Thanks for the tip

Yeah. I think killing Smough first makes the first half easier, and the second half harder, and vice versa. But the first half is more of a crapshoot to react to because there's two of them, which is obviously a problem in a SL1/limited run when you can only get hit like once.

Wow i thought you couldn't poison bosses.....guess I never tried cause I thought it was impossible?!?! iF that makes sense? thousands of hours in BTW. Must be pretty futile though now that I think of it as it must be too small an amount unless you fight for 1 hr plus?

I'm sure all of the bosses can't be poisoned/toxified, but I know for a fact at least Ornstein and Stray Demon can, and I have seen SuperSmo with a poison cloud over him in someone else's game as well. Dung pies are more useful than poison arrows, obviously (haven't tried the cloud pyromancies on bosses).

I wouldn't say it's futile but it's not really necessary nor is it that helpful, but yeah. I find it useful against Super O solo because the time you spend dodging his attacks isn't wasted. It eases my mind a bit in that fight more than anything - i'm not as quick to rush in and attack when I shouldn't. Just throw some handfuls of shit at him and make him chase you around the room. I've also toxic'd Stray Demon for like a full minute before he even noticed me in the room. I often toxic him anyway, if you're behind him when he's recovering from the hammer slam you can pelt him with the necessary 2-3 pieces of shit pretty easily, but of course a bleed weapon is the way to go with that boss.

There's a video on IGN with the sanctuary guardian boss from E3, and frankly it's just embarrassing to watch. Not because of the gameplay footage (which is the same we saw from the E3 demo), just everything about its ultra contrived presentation. Not to mention the speed-stick sponsored "don't sweat it, handle it" line. Basically almost no new information overlayed on some E3 footage with a speed stick advertisement. But I was right that the tail inflicts poison. SPEED STICK TIP #2: "Pick your weapon wisely" yeah no shit.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/06/26/dark-souls-dlc-exclusive-the-sanctuary-guardian-boss-breakdown

So far I think Claymore and Baller Swag Sword are the best weapons for pvp. I didn't even consider the BSS until recently and it's truly powerful. It's attacks use very little stamina so you can swing like ten times. Moveset wise it's like a mini Claymore.

Wowbagger

So far I think Claymore and Baller Swag Sword are the best weapons for pvp. I didn't even consider the BSS until recently and it's truly powerful. It's attacks use very little stamina so you can swing like ten times. Moveset wise it's like a mini Claymore.

The BSS is so much fun to use. Very nice moveset and lovely reach on those strong attacks. With its low Strength requirement and solid Dexterity scaling, it's a great weapon for Pyromancy builds. I've been combining it with some Pyromancies and a Short Bow with poisoned arrows to great effect -- the most fun I've had doing PVP.

Sullichin

Just saw on reddit that you can actually get back to the catacombs from Nito's warp bonfire. just tried it myself and it works. If you rest in the coffin in the catacombs after killing Nito, when you warp back to Nito's bonfire the coffin will be in there and you can get back to the catacombs. If you leave the coffin on the catacombs side it will be back in Nito's room if you warp there.

It's not terribly useful since you can drop down to this area from the start of the catacombs pretty quickly anyway, but at least the warp bonfire isn't 100% useless. A ladder back into TotG would of course be preferable.

The BSS is so much fun to use. Very nice moveset and lovely reach on those strong attacks. With its low Strength requirement and solid Dexterity scaling, it's a great weapon for Pyromancy builds. I've been combining it with some Pyromancies and a Short Bow with poisoned arrows to great effect -- the most fun I've had doing PVP.

I'm using it on my dex/faith build and the damage per second is the best I've seen. Buffing it with DMB almost seems like cheating against bosses.

Mxrz

I started a spear character, and jumped up to 24 STR / DEX for the Dragonslayer spear. I didn't realize it scales with Faith too. Its looks to be pretty terrible outside of full sl120 builds. I don't like going much higher than 60-80, so I'll probably reroll. Maybe go with the Silver Knight spear or one of the +15s.

Looks like I'm running out of character slots too. I really want to try this thing about Gravelording Undead Burg without opening the first fog gate.

I've always found Super Ornstein easier to manage, hardest I tried was NG++ at SL68 (before I started really farming on that char). Probably because you can basically just hug close to him and just watch out for his butt stomp and of course his double swipe when closing the distance.

Just don't do what I did and try to take him down with a regular fire halberd, it hurts so bad to miss a perfectly timed shot as his feet switch position. Use a swinging weapon of some kind.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beat the boss in Quelac's domain with two summons. One of which died :)|). Joined the Chaos Convent. Where is a good place to get the 30 humanity by AI killing instead of doing invasions as I don't want to be a dick and get indicted/have people gunning for me for the sake of a pyromancy I need.

Also I haven't rung the bell yet and the gate to Sen's Fortress(?) is still locked with that "Onion Head" dude sitting there. I guess I need to ring the bell to open the end game stuff? I haven't been to the Valley of Drakes except to NOPE.avi out of there from the Darkroot Basin and a quick jaunt across a bridge to New Londo Ruins back to the Firelink Shrine (to find Lautric killed the keeper there. "DAMN IT, LAURTRIC, DAMN IT. I haven't gotten a third firekeeper soul or rung the bell yet! You shouldn't have done that!") and to see if I got sin for breaking Way of the White by joining Chaos Convent. Which I didn't.

Where to go from here? Sen's Fortress or Valley of the Drakes and continue to explore?

Beat the boss in Quelac's domain with two summons. One of which died :)|). Joined the Chaos Convent. Where is a good place to get the 30 humanity by AI killing instead of doing invasions as I don't want to be a dick and get indicted/have people gunning for me for the sake of a pyromancy I need.

Also I haven't rung the bell yet and the gate to Sen's Fortress(?) is still locked with that "Onion Head" dude sitting there. I guess I need to ring the bell to open the end game stuff? I haven't been to the Valley of Drakes except to NOPE.avi out of there from the Darkroot Basin and a quick jaunt across a bridge to New Londo Ruins back to the Firelink Shrine (to find Lautric killed the keeper there. "DAMN IT, LAURTRIC, DAMN IT. I haven't gotten a third firekeeper soul or rung the bell yet! You shouldn't have done that!") and to see if I got sin for breaking Way of the White by joining Chaos Convent. Which I didn't.

Where to go from here? Sen's Fortress or Valley of the Drakes and continue to explore?

Nothing to really do in Valley of the Drakes, besides getting a Ring (you'll probably die on the way back), killing the Undead Dragon (use lots of poison arrows), and a shortcut into New Londo (later on), and a armor set after New Londo is done.

But overall, not much going on in the Valley aside from killing/being killed by drakes.

Go to Sen's Fortress, the 2nd bell if you've not rung it, is deeper into Quelaag's Domain, it's a lever. If you have the Eagle Shield, equip it for Sen's, otherwise use anything that might give you better lightning resistance. There's a couple shield's I think that are decent, but Eagle Shield early is best.

TheSeks

Well, I didn't ring the bell because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to enter a "point of no return"-bit like Mass Effect or other RPG's generally do for end game stuff.

I know where the bell is as I passed it for the Chaos Convent. So I can go back there after exploring the Valley of the Drakes I guess.

I haven't even killed the Hydra or the Dragon on the Bridge of Undead Burge yet. Arrowing the Dragon brings it onto the bridge where it'll search and destroy me for pissing it off by making it lose 8 HP. :(

I just want to get 30 Humanity for the Chaos Convent to get the Pyromancy there before I continue the game if possible? Killing the enemies on the bridge with the dragon still gives Humanity right?

Well, I didn't ring the bell because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to enter a "point of no return"-bit like Mass Effect or other RPG's generally do for end game stuff.

I know where the bell is as I passed it for the Chaos Convent. So I can go back there after exploring the Valley of the Drakes I guess.

I haven't even killed the Hydra or the Dragon on the Bridge of Undead Burge yet. Arrowing the Dragon brings it onto the bridge where it'll search and destroy me for pissing it off by making it lose 8 HP. :(

I just want to get 30 Humanity for the Chaos Convent to get the Pyromancy there before I continue the game if possible? Killing the enemies on the bridge with the dragon still gives Humanity right?

All giving 30 humanity to the Fair Lady will do is open a shortcut into lost Izalith, and a Pyro spell too (nothing overly useful though). The most useful Chaos Covenant spell you already have upon joining.

As for killing the Red Dragon (not to be confused with the Undead Dragon in the Valley). Just try to upgrade a Longbow as far as you can, buy about 300 arrows, and sit out on the edge of the map in front of where the rats would be, and just pelt him with arrows, try to get about three shots to hit every time he lands.

TheSeks

Well, I know the spell isn't useful but I still need it for "Bond of a Pyromancer." So farming humanity it is.

I do have consumables but I doubt those will get me over to 30. They'd probably give me 15 humanity max. And I don't really want to eat them if I can help it. So finding enemies to farm it from it is... :/

Your best bet is to just continue through the game and hold onto that humanity until you have enough. By the time your ready for Izalith, or the Trophy...you'll have more than enough.

Also remember that little weird bastard inside the Fair Lady's room sells special pyromancies you can only get by
becoming infected
, and the
Painted World
holds one too. Just a FYI for teh Trophy.

TheSeks

How do you get infected anyway? I haven't seen any enemies besides him for it and attacking him would break the convent?

How do you get infected anyway? I haven't seen any enemies besides him for it and attacking him would break the convent?

Basically, here's how you do it.

Go out to the Demon Ruins, if you go down the hill far enough there will be two infected "hostile" enemies. Just sit in front of them and let them grab and hurt you, chug a flask when needed. It's the spit effect that gets you infected. After enough time they will infect you, you'll know it when you character starts scratching his head, and soon you'll sprout a growth.

Then, he'll sell you the poison pyro spells.

TheSeks

Guess I'll do that to unlock the spells, cure the infection (do I need the egg to burst/be my head for the spells to unlock?) and then farm souls while farming humanity on the dragon bridge to buy them.

Hopefully the dragon bridge still works for humanity as simply climbing a ladder and letting the dragon do the work is easy...

Guess I'll do that to unlock the spells, cure the infection (do I need the egg to burst/be my head for the spells to unlock?) and then farm souls while farming humanity on the dragon bridge to buy them.

Hopefully the dragon bridge still works for humanity as simply climbing a ladder and letting the dragon do the work is easy...

Yeah, I think you need to speak to him while infected to access to spells.

Just saw on reddit that you can actually get back to the catacombs from Nito's warp bonfire. just tried it myself and it works. If you rest in the coffin in the catacombs after killing Nito, when you warp back to Nito's bonfire the coffin will be in there and you can get back to the catacombs. If you leave the coffin on the catacombs side it will be back in Nito's room if you warp there.

It's not terribly useful since you can drop down to this area from the start of the catacombs pretty quickly anyway, but at least the warp bonfire isn't 100% useless. A ladder back into TotG would of course be preferable.

I have always used this to get to the blacksmith fast (which I think is the point anyway...). Dropping in from the top is fast but it's still a chore, that way you can avoid pretty much all the enemies!

Mxrz

If you want humanity - Load the humanity counter up to 10, equip the item-find boost ring, and then go to the bonfire in the Depths and kill rats. If you can wait, you can farm baby skeletons outside of Nito's fog gate. It isn't as easy as the rats, but it is somewhat faster once you get the hang of it. Farm up a stack of 99, and dupe if you're okay with it.

Really forgot how much I dislike playing at night. That whole thing about Japanese players being less cheesy is a complete myth. Bow-stabbing-hornet-users the lot of them.

krakov

Doesn't work. Your best bet right now is farming rats in the Depths, put out your sign for some co-op to spice things up and get more humanity.

TheSeks - if you want humanity the easiest way is co-op, every boss you defeat in other player's worlds nets you souls and humanity. Lay down your sign near bonfires or other high traffic areas. For Queelag, the sewer bonfire is best, in the Depths it's the bonfire through the locked door, Undead Parish, outside the Parish itself where the path to the blacksmith starts.

You can buy a few humanity from merchants, not many though. Also, as said above, use the gold serpent ring to boost item discovery then go farm rats since they drop humanity. You will need to ring the second bell and open up Sen's Fortress, since that's where the ring is found.

This new one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXQ-nR9NupA - I had around 12 million souls just by holding square for a few minutes and using a Hero Soul. When you do it with throwing daggers you'll just spew a steady stream of infinite daggers without any animation. It does use the item, but as long as you switch back to the Stone, it'll keep going for as long as you hold down the button.

Divine Blessings are cheap since you can use them so quickly mid fight compared to humanity. I don't want the bottomless box dupe to go since I hate farming humanity, but infinite DB can really break pvp.

WAT. I am a little confused as the guys description was hard to understand. That's crazy though :D Ah OK, there is a more detailed description under the vid. That's crazy.

I am currently playing Skyward Sword, but I miss Dark Souls so much. I thought after getting Platinum I might give it a long break, but I just want to go back. Gotta be a mage this time and play about with those crazy ass spells :) I really should finish Zelda SS though :(

TheSeks

TheSeks - if you want humanity the easiest way is co-op, every boss you defeat in other player's worlds nets you souls and humanity. Lay down your sign near bonfires or other high traffic areas. For Queelag, the sewer bonfire is best, in the Depths it's the bonfire through the locked door, Undead Parish, outside the Parish itself where the path to the blacksmith starts.

Yeah, well no one wants to summon me. Probably because I'm level 29. :/

I can't try that glitch out as I am at Anor Lando surrounded by tough Silver Knights on NG++. I think I am doing it right, but one hit from the flame isn't killing them, so I guess it breaks the glitch.

?

AutumnAve

Hi guise! My OG 60 GB PS3 finally died and took with it my Demon's Souls, so instead of tears I decided to boot up Dark Souls and see what new hostility From Software has in store.

First impressions from me are thus; visually Dark Souls blows Demon's Souls out of the water, textures and environments seem quite leveled up, but here's my sticking point that's REALLY bugging me, I spent like an hour making a pretty girl that resembled the Royalty class I used in Demon's Souls, but when I started she looked like a Romero zombie. I beat the asylum demon, regained my humanity, but I can only assume that the next time I die she's right back to Alice in zombie land, right? I realize it's dumb and superficial, that's why I'm toying with the idea of just going back and making a male character, so I can tell myself he's like the nameless one from planescape : torment.

Soulhouf

I beat the asylum demon, regained my humanity, but I can only assume that the next time I die she's right back to Alice in zombie land, right? I realize it's dumb and superficial, that's why I'm toying with the idea of just going back and making a male character, so I can tell myself he's like the nameless one from planescape : torment.

That's correct.

In a while you'll probably be rocking a helmet anyway, but yeah, you go zombie a lot at first. On the other hand, if you really want to be human it's not that hard to keep up, you just need to be prepared for the consequences (invasions). Or you can help others with co-op, you are human then (although glowing blue). 6 out of 7 of my characters are female and they look fine most of the time, unless I'm trying something stupid.

AutumnAve

In a while you'll probably be rocking a helmet anyway, but yeah, you go zombie a lot at first. On the other hand, if you really want to be human it's not that hard to keep up, you just need to be prepared for the consequences (invasions). Or you can help others with co-op, you are human then (although glowing blue). 6 out of 7 of my characters are female and they look fine most of the time, unless I'm trying something stupid.
Hollowed, my lady looks so bad, it was turning my stomach. I really quite liked the dead vs. alive mechanic from demon's souls, in this one they've pulled back on the penalties, no health penalty for being hollowed, etc. I kind of wish there were a mechanic penalty as opposed to an aesthetic one.

You should see my dark skinned characters, they're basically black when hollow. But I tend to not look at their faces before I can return to human.

Still couldn't beat lvl1 S&O, I couldn't even get to the second part with Super Smough. I switched tactics than now I can pretty much get to the second part by killing normal Smough pretty much everytime.

But now Super Ornstein is beating my ass, because I can't damage him at all. My 2 handed 3-hit combo makes measly 150 damage at tops, considering Smough takes over 1000 from the same combo.

New try tomorrow.

So far I've been gravelorded a lot in darkroot forest. Those BP mushrooms are seriously strong, and the little ones are super aggressive.

I was also summoned into someone else's gravelorded anor londo without knowing it. Got one shotted by a BP silver knight hiding near a regular one.

I really wish they were a way to add BP enemies to your game. It really spices things up.

TheSeks

That's sound a little bit high for Queelag, but only just, I'd say 20-25 is usual for Blighttown, but 30-35 is spot on for Sen's Fortress :)

Well, I got 9 humanity out of it and then ate a consumable one for 10. 20 more to go... :/

Yo Gotti

Banned
Still couldn't beat lvl1 S&O, I couldn't even get to the second part with Super Smough. I switched tactics than now I can pretty much get to the second part by killing normal Smough pretty much everytime.

But now Super Ornstein is beating my ass, because I can't damage him at all. My 2 handed 3-hit combo makes measly 150 damage at tops, considering Smough takes over 1000 from the same combo.

New try tomorrow.

I haven't touched my LVL5 run in a few days.

The thought of trying to beat Super Ornstein is scaring me, but damn I want that armor.

It will be done.

Sullichin

I have always used this to get to the blacksmith fast (which I think is the point anyway...). Dropping in from the top is fast but it's still a chore, that way you can avoid pretty much all the enemies!

Yep it's a convenient way to travel to vamos and invade in the catacombs. I certainly always thought that warp bonfire was a dead end though, and I remember other people in this thread saying that too. Glad to know I can do something with it.

New try tomorrow.

Definitely use pyromancy or a fire weapon over lightning for Super O.

Well, I got 9 humanity out of it and then ate a consumable one for 10. 20 more to go... :/
You don't have to give her all 30 at once! After a certain point you'll be able to warp back to that bonfire and give her humanity as you collect it.

TheSeks

Yeah, we'll I'm doing them in batches of 10 to ease my mind.

Rung the second bell. Sens Fortress opened. Holy crap the Drake Sword does nada against those opening enemies. Thankfully, I bought Firestorm which is still godly as it was in Demon's Souls and cleared two of them out and had to quit for work. We'll see how I go with that tonight I guess.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys. I made a new account called Shivas_Mate.

Going for criticals and being a clown with the Ring of Fog and Dark Wood Grain Ring, but does anyone have any recommendations for shields? Tempted to try my luck with the parrying dagger once I have that, but not convinced...

Feel free to add (on Japan time, but usually up fairly late) for some jolly cooperation with everyone's silent gimp.

Drop the Drake Sword. Pyromancy isn't going to last you through the entire place, there's at least 10-15 enemies to kill.

Get any sword with a decent moveset like Balder Side Sword, Claymore, Longsword or even Uchigatana from killing the Burg trader. Then get the Large Ember from Depths and upgrade at Andre as far as you can. More large shards can be farmed in Blighttown.

Drake Sword is a newbie trap if anything, it's so overpowered compared to a non-upgraded weapon that you don't even start upgrading... which is MUCH better once you're at Sen's.

Dresden

There's also a Lightning Spear deep inside the fortress, if you can find it. It's a good bandaid weapon while you learn the upgrade system.

Soulhouf

Drake Sword is a newbie trap if anything, it's so overpowered compared to a non-upgraded weapon that you don't even start upgrading... which is MUCH better once you're at Sen's.

That's a perfect description of this piece of crap, one of the big mistakes of the game design in this game IMO. I always feel sorry for the people who I see using it when I do co-op.
I hope From will not do it anymore at the beginning of their next game.

DeckardOfAstora

Neo Member
Get any sword with a decent moveset like Balder Side Sword, Claymore, Longsword or even Uchigatana from killing the Burg trader.

Man, i love to steal that lovely Uchigatana from that Burg bum. The first time was totally accidental, it was on my first playthrough.
I wanted to kill an NPC to see what could happen, and he was the less important one i could think of. Then, out of nowhere, that classy katana drops from him. WOW i was amazed, used it for a looong time, and through Sen's.

Praise the Sun!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Never knew you could get Uchi from killing that merchant. I swear, this game is still full of surprises!

Anyone have tips/suggestions for a ninja build? Target shield seems pretty good for parrying, but something with 100% block would be preferable if I'm not using the Parrying Dagger.

Soulhouf

Never knew you could get Uchi from killing that merchant. I swear, this game is still full of surprises!

Anyone have tips/suggestions for a ninja build? Target shield seems pretty good for parrying, but something with 100% block would be preferable if I'm not using the Parrying Dagger.

I like the ninja set and Shiva's shield.

krakov

I think the spider shield looks pretty good with the ninja set.

I am in a phase where I just wear what looks cool and fool around with some enemies. The Uchigatana (enchanted +5), max. pyro and the shadow set and I really feel like a ninja. I do hope that we get Dark Souls 2 ready for the PS4/720 launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom