• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a perfect description of this piece of crap, one of the big mistakes of the game design in this game IMO. I always feel sorry for the people who I see using it when I do co-op.
I hope From will not do it anymore at the beginning of their next game.

I wouldn't call that a mistake of game design, you really aren't supposed to get it so soon. Of course the tail could be removed from the side, but there's literally 0% chance of someone figuring it out by themselves at so early stage heh

What weapon choices do I have with a lvl1 character?

I started a lvl1 Pyro, currently using a Morning Star, I really want something I can swing faster and also use a shield. Haven't looked at daggers yet, but the low dex of a Pyro is really inhibiting my choices I think.

I started a lvl1 Pyro, currently using a Morning Star, I really want something I can swing faster and also use a shield. Haven't looked at daggers yet, but the low dex of a Pyro is really inhibiting my choices I think.

reinforced club. Great leaping RT move too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I really fucking hate Sen's Fortress. Keep dying to boulders or the stupid snake demons. I get up to the second floor, dash straight through only to get killed by six snake demons.

I really fucking hate Sen's Fortress. Keep dying to boulders or the stupid snake demons. I get up to the second floor, dash straight through only to get killed by six snake demons.

Why are you dashing? Just fight them one at a time. There aren't that many. Only hard part is running past the swinging blades at the top.

Dresden

Handaxe has the moveset of a scimitar (at least the R1) so you don't whiff if you miss like a normal axe.

Reinforced Club is the hardest hitting option and it also bleeds.

Once you learn the layout you'll grow to love Sen's, it's one of the best areas in the game.

TheSeks

Why are you dashing? Just fight them one at a time. There aren't that many. Only hard part is running past the swinging blades at the top.

Because the swinging axes that are near the "dash straight through" soul signs will eat me alive if I don't? And then I get across and am stuck with six snake demon's?

Except for the entrance, there is nowhere in Sen's that you have to fight multiple serpents at a time. Each one can be dealt with separately. Having a ranged weapon is quite important to deal with some of them, though.

Oh yeah, one place but it's optional.

Battle Axe, now upgraded to Lightining Battle Axe +2. (Lightning) Reinforced Club seems like a good idea too.

TheSeks

Finally after like 5 hours I got the bonfire lit and am on the roof. Much easier time to deal with now.

I also gotta go into the pit to battle the Titanite demons sometime soon to see if they drop Titanite I guess...

MrWisker

Finally after like 5 hours I got the bonfire lit and am on the roof. Much easier time to deal with now.

I also gotta go into the pit to battle the Titanite demons sometime soon to see if they drop Titanite I guess...

Hit the demons in the pit. Cool weapon down there to be had there as well.

MrWisker

The handaxe upgrade is a fantastic weapon to use. Great a breaking shield blocks and can be a beast when wielded two-handed.

Sullichin

The handaxe upgrade is a fantastic weapon to use. Great a breaking shield blocks and can be a beast when wielded two-handed.

Yeah handaxe is my favorite SL1 weapon.

I transformed my deprived character into a surprisingly competent PVP build. Naked except for hollow warrior waist (just so I'm not running around in a thong), club +15, plank shield on my back. FAP ring and red tearstone ring. SL60, all points in VIT, END, or STR (str is at 26 iirc, diminishing returns for 2H AR at this point).

Seriously, I'm surprised how often I'm winning (hosting in Dark Anor Londo and sometimes invading). I feel like some invaders are underestimating me and rushing or fooling around, and they don't expect that my little club can actually stun lock them. I don't mind eating a couple of hits from a greatsword either, because they certainly do not seem to be expecting the damage boost from the red tearstone ring (gives my 2h club something like 532 AR) , which has cinched the victory for me a few times already. It is really satisfying to win with this build.

TheSeks

Hit the demons in the pit. Cool weapon down there to be had there as well.

I'm worried about not being able to kill them, but since I have the bonfire lit I guess it can't hurt.

No one is summoning me with my sign near the boss door. I want the humanity for this convent, damn it. Being level 31 is probably the problem.

Dresden

I'm worried about not being able to kill them, but since I have the bonfire lit I guess it can't hurt.

No one is summoning me with my sign near the boss door. I want the humanity for this convent, damn it. Being level 31 is probably the problem.

Just remember that the bottom is sticky and you'll need the rusted iron ring to move normally, otherwise it's like the swamp in Blighttown.

TheSeks

Just remember that the bottom is sticky and you'll need the rusted iron ring to move normally, otherwise it's like the swamp in Blighttown.

Well, I got 2 humanity right now. I'm trying to get 8 more so I can make a trip to Quelag to return these before I do that but no one is flipping summoning me. :| So much for that "Sen's Fortress is a hotspot" stuff. :|

In Sen's I lay down my sign just (safely) after the entrance trap. People often want help through the whole thing, not just the boss, so I find I get summoned there more than laying it down at the boss door.

Also, did you jump across the gap in the walkway for the merchant and cage key? The cage key gives you a shortcut effectively between the first floor and the boss.

TheSeks

In Sen's I lay down my sign just (safely) after the entrance trap. People often want help through the whole thing, not just the boss, so I find I get summoned there more than laying it down at the boss door.

Also, did you jump across the gap in the walkway for the merchant and cage key? The cage key gives you a shortcut effectively between the first floor and the boss.

Yes I did before attempting to be summoned. If I could just kill the boss (which I can with my pyromancies) I'd get quick Humanities. It's just no one is flipping summoning me. :| And I don't want to deal with invaders. Just the boss. Because IIRC Invaders can soul-suck me and make me lose my humanities.

If you do go for the titanite demons, remember that you can fall down to the ledge with the serpent mages and deal with them first. Having them snipe you while you deal with a demon is no fun. Also, Rusted Ring is a must before you even try it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with those. When I run through Sen's, I only grab the ring to get more drops and free Logan if I need sorceries. Otherwise it's a run straight through to the boss.

Dresden

It's something to be done at least once, though. Honestly it's one of the more challenging spots in the game. Go in without the rusted iron ring and it probably jumps into Rape Pit of Rapery Rape tier of difficulty.

Titanite Demons might be more ridiculous and the skeleton dogs. I always need to make 4 trips to the pit as the first fight always consumes me, heh.

TheSeks

No one is summoning either at the boss gate or the opening. It's so annoying. I've already dropped the three humanity off and need seven more goddamn it. :|

Sullichin

At level 31?

yeah at that level switching between gaping, quelaag, and iron golem should be pretty active. I'd even try capra demon.

Also if you need humanity,getting it from the rats in the depths is your best bet at this point. You can put your summon sign down and farm humanity while you wait to get summoned. Probably your fastest option to get humanity right now. Equip the gold serprent ring from Sen's if you found that.

TheSeks

Three hours of no summons. Great. I give up for today.

So stupid that this convent requires 30 humanity for the sake of getting a pyromancy from it. :|

Wolfe

Three hours of no summons. Great. I give up for today.

So stupid that this convent requires 30 humanity for the sake of getting a pyromancy from it. :|

Dude I dunno what is up with your game but on my lvl 30 character I am constantly getting summoned for Parish Gargoyles/Gaping Dragon/Quelaag/Iron Golem, the only time I ended up having trouble getting summoned on that guy was in Anor Londo but even then it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

Are you on 360? Cause I'm on PS3 so maybe that has something to do with my success rate vs yours, didn't think about it until just now.

I actually stopped playing that character after getting him into the Darkwraiths and killing Nito in favor of running around on a level 15 character haha. On that guy I'm still messing around before ringing the second bell to enter Sen's, for some reason I get way more enjoyment out of these lower level runs than I was out of doing NG+ on my level 100 dude.

Although I was a little surprised that outside of the Parish (which it would happen fairly frequently) I haven't been invaded once on the lvl 15 guy. Makes running around as human easier if not a little more boring.

Haha, my character still has 99 humanity from the days of item multiplication.

Now I miss Dark Souls ._.

I wish I could say those days are long gone lol. I always hate going to the first Burg bonfire because I will no doubt see many ghosts of people abusing the dragon head stone dupe bug :(, really takes me out of the game seeing a ghost of a guy looking as though he's squatting while yelling into a corner.

TheSeks

No. PS3. I've also put out 6 "Need Humanity" signs with no upvotes to any of them to give me humanity. It's pissing me off. If I could get 7 more Humanity I'd be in the clear of stomping the 11 or so humanity consumables I already have to hit the 30 needed for the convent and then break that to go do the forest hunter one.

Sullichin

No. PS3. I've also put out 6 "Need Humanity" signs with no upvotes to any of them to give me humanity. It's pissing me off. If I could get 7 more Humanity I'd be in the clear of stomping the 11 or so humanity consumables I already have to hit the 30 needed for the convent and then break that to go do the forest hunter one.

Giving 30 humanity to the spider also opens up a shortcut to lost izalith, which is probably more useful than the pyromancy, so be sure to open that shortcut before breaking the covenant.

Any of you guys ever see this glitch in the wild? They somehow use the pyromancy glove to pretty instantly apply Crystal Magic Weapon to a dragon tooth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7vAoqVd-18&feature=g-all-u

boulders are the easier parts of that dungeon imo. as long as your patient and leave right as soon one passes, you should be fine. and i don't recall any part that makes you fight six manserpents(?) at the same time. in fact, at most you'll be fighting is 1v1. hardest parts imo are the swinging blade sections. which again, as long as your patient (and perhaps have a good shield) you should be fine.

why not just farm it? 7 humanity is at most 10-15 minutes in the dukes archives and maybe around 20+ minutes farming rats.

Wolfe

Well I can agree with you on the upvote thing, out of my 3 characters I've not had any of them receive positive OR negative votes on any of the messages I've left. Given how often I rate peoples messages and how often I see messages with ratings I can't help but think there must be something wrong.

Wolfe

Finally. +3

But no shortcut opened?

It opens at +2 but you have to manually go up to the gate and open it with the prompt, also just to be clear this is the gate/wall that is to the right of the gold fog door in demon ruins, you have to walk down that root to get to it and there is 4 or 5 bugs near it you can kill.

TheSeks

It opens at +2 but you have to manually go up to the gate and open it with the prompt, also just to be clear this is the gate/wall that is to the right of the gold fog door in demon ruins, you have to walk down that root to get to it and there is 4 or 5 bugs near it you can kill.

So, can I kill the woman right now and open it later or do I have to wait to do that? :/

Wolfe

So, can I kill the woman right now and open it later or do I have to wait to do that? :/

The firekeeper spider lady? Pretty sure it'll bump you out of the covenant but you can open it then kill her and I believe it will remain open.

TheSeks

The firekeeper spider lady? Pretty sure it'll bump you out of the covenant but you can open it then kill her and I believe it will remain open.

Well, fuck. I need to change to the forest keepers and you're telling me this is late game... :/ I'm boned then. Guess I'll kill her with no remorse and let the chips fall where they may on that shortcut.

Sullichin

Well, fuck. I need to change to the forest keepers and you're telling me this is late game... :/ I'm boned then. Guess I'll kill her with no remorse and let the chips fall where they may on that shortcut.

Well, you can switch to the forest covenant at any time, but if you do so before you have access to open the shortcut, then yeah you will not be able to open it until you re-join and level up in the covenant in NG+. Keep in mind there's tons of stuff to do in this game and you'd drive yourself crazy trying to do it all in one playthrough. You should suffer through Lost Izalith (the area it lets you skip) on your first run through anyway :)

I think you're trying to do stuff way too soon and in weird orders. No reason to stress out.

Dresden

Don't worry about the shortcut. In the old days of Dark Souls where Izalith was a hellpit of GIANT ZOMBIE LEGS it was invaluable, but the patch has cut them down drastically, and actually getting to the boss is faster avoiding the shortcut.

Stock up on egg vermifuge - in best Bad Luck Brian style her servant gave me the curse and the drops by the egg carriers took me ages to get one.

Soulhouf

Any of you guys ever see this glitch in the wild? They somehow use the pyromancy glove to pretty instantly apply Crystal Magic Weapon to a dragon tooth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7vAoqVd-18&feature=g-all-u

OMG WTF. This game needs to be patched -_- I hope From is aware of these glitches and will patch them when the DLC come out.
I'm still playing it but when I see these things I feel I'm playing a beta...
It's been a while I didn't play PvP though (I beat the game SL1 and SL2 lately) but it may be unplayable nowadays with all these glitches (BB, dupe, pyro buff, lag stab).

TheSeks

I think you're trying to do stuff way too soon and in weird orders. No reason to stress out.

ToughDon'tBlameMeBlameYourselfOrFROM.jpg

Maybe if From let me join Sunbros I wouldn't be doing things in weird orders... maybe... Too bad they put a dragon that kills me out there where I can't join them and my souls have been used to upgrade my character/items over my level to where I can't buy things to join other factions so this was the first faction since Way of the White that I could join with no jumping through a hoop or grinding to do.

Maybe if From let me join Sunbros I wouldn't be doing things in weird orders... maybe... Too bad they put a dragon that kills me out there where I can't join them and my souls have been used to upgrade my character/items over my level to where I can't buy things to join other factions so this was the first faction since Way of the White that I could join with no jumping through a hoop or grinding to do.
Kill the dragon from under the bride with arrows if you want to join Sunbros. I can sense your frustration, we've all gone through it with Demon's/Dark, it won't last, honest, or at least you will grow to love it!

If you have the pryomancy you want from that covenant, I'd forget about the shortcut and just get on with the playthrough - it's not really that useful, and you open it from the other sider later on any way. You won't need the shortcut until you get to those areas any way (Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith), especially on a first playthrough. To open it up IIRC you have to get to the door from the Demon's Ruins side, it isn't really any way near the covenant bonfire - that's mid/later game stuff IMO, I think it's meant to be done once you can warp between bonfires (which means you could warp to spider lady rather than running back with humanity drops for her).

Have to agree with Wolfe, at lvl 30 you should have no problem getting constantly summoned early game Parish/Blighttown/Depths/Sen's - Heck, I've been playing a lvl12 this week and getting summoned/invaded in (dark) Anor Londo.

Sometimes when it's been light on summons, I've quit out the game, and reloaded - sometimes that has helped.

xmShake

Neo Member

shoot the dragon once with a bow or crossbow from the halfway point on the bridge (over the wall) and it will fly onto the bridge. you can use this time to run past and hit the bonfire which will reset the dragon position. you can join the sunbros uncontested now.

krakov

If you go up the stairs from beneath the dragon bridge, run across and stand close to the wall at that little alcove the dragon will land on the bridge eventually. Run beneath him and towards the bonfire, profit. Nothing needed, naked SL1 works fine.

TheSeks

If you go up the stairs from beneath the dragon bridge, run across and stand close to the wall at that little alcove the dragon will land on the bridge eventually. Run beneath him and towards the bonfire, profit. Nothing needed, naked SL1 works fine.

He's never landed for me. And throwing arrows at him just means he'll land on top of me or breathe fire and kill me or block my way, find me, and kill me.

And I didn't have 20K souls to use for that Forest Hunter Convent because I was busy upgrading my Pyromancy and buying spells/other useful stuff to where I'm locked out of an area. It's really stupid. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom