• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to find that sweet spot for PvP in this.

A lot of people I come across, as invader or invadee, seem to outmatch me in everything, there doesn't seem to be a chink in their armour - I don't mean equipment per se, but it seems they have more health than me, can run just as fast, use stronger armour. When I put points into levelling, I have to make a sacrifice - want high INT? Sacrifice health or stamina (equipment load), use flippy ring, sacrifice something else. I seem to run into a lot of people who can take an absolute battering, but 2-hit kill me - can't find a way to compete with a lot of people.

Actually I think the key is often just put everything into health and stamina, wear big ass armour and FAP ring, so even if you smash them 5 or 6 times it doesn't matter, they tank it. I do find big tank characters boring though, so I'm always hesitant to go that route.

Get a claymore, upgrade it, 2h hand it and just start swinging away. Wear high poise armor. You will wreck like 90% of players this way.

I agree with this.

I also think Sif is the coolest boss, but S&O are a close second.

Sif & S/O are the two bosses I most look forward to in the game. The only other boss I really enjoy fighting is Priscilla, and Gwyn at the very end.

What bothers me the most about Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith is that that entire section is basically a boss rush. Ceaseless Discharge -> Capra Demon/Taurus Demon onslaught -> Demon Firesage -> Centipede Demon -> T-Rexes -> Bed of Chaos. And somehow all those bosses suck. Considering how amazingly designed the rest of the game is, it's really weird how completely Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith fails as an area.

Onion Knight: "We need three, maybe five more bodies."

*opens door, jumped by three Silver Knights*

It's cool, brah, you just stand by the window, I got this.

Tdog987

I finally beat it!

I would like to thank all the people I summoned, people who contributed to the wiki, people from gaf OT, and James from Gamefront (for inspiring me to complete the game).

Will bite on the DLC

Can't wait for the next installment

njean777

Finally beat this game over the weekend, really enjoyed it and hope for a third. I really liked the music for Gwyn. Not overstated and really calming in such a crazy boss fight.

Fuck Bed of Chaos. Seriously, who thought this boss was a good idea? Terrible!

I'm hoping in the next Souls game (or the upcoming DLC) there's some interesting stage bosses. More stuff like Smough & Ornstein, where there are multiple parts to the boss. Where like at half health, the boss will jump away and spawn smaller enemies you have to deal with before coming back to the stage, or where there are multiple arenas in the boss area, and at certain points the boss will leave and you have to chase him down.

Bed of Chaos is a good starting point, just terrible execution. A boss where the main boss is invulnerable for the beginning and you have to knock out the weak points by running around the arena, except instead of fucking large arm full-screen attacks and random pits opening, just have enemy spawns you have to fight as well, or maybe fireballs to dodge or something. I don't know. I'd just like more bosses that aren't dodge -> attack -> dodge -> attack until the boss is dead, or get behind boss and attack, stay behind boss when he turns and attack until boss is dead.

Lost Izalith seems like an afterthought anyway...

that said, I have literally died zero times on Bed Of Chaos but I did know how to beat the boss before I attempted it myself.

I don't get TheSeks hate for S&O just because it's (clearly) the most challenging boss around.

I finally beat it!

I would like to thank all the people I summoned, people who contributed to the wiki, people from gaf OT, and James from Gamefront (for inspiring me to complete the game).

Will bite on the DLC

Can't wait for the next installment
What? You're done, but the real Dark Souls begins HERE!

Get a claymore, upgrade it, 2h hand it and just start swinging away. Wear high poise armor. You will wreck like 90% of players this way.
Isn't that what everyone does? I like to stand out from the pack a little! What is life if you can't beat the giants armour/derp mask/lightning zweihander crowd whilst wearing onion head+dusk dress and using poison resin?!

Mxrz

Profound sadness.

I don't think i tanked anything in Demon's souls tbh. I never wore armor above the black leather stuff. Gotta roll fast!

Soulhouf

Profound sadness.

I don't think i tanked anything in Demon's souls tbh. I never wore armor above the black leather stuff. Gotta roll fast!

You couldn't really tank in Demon's Souls because there wasn't poise in that game.
Poise changed everything in Dark Souls.

Beat Smough and Ornstein and met the Big Titty Goddess.

Finally! I can fast travel!

Amazing chest ahead! Wish they gave the fast travel option before though.

Edit: Fuck Four Kings. I finished the game many times and they are always hard for me to kill because of the depth of field or whatever it is. I always miss a few pyromancy spells on them before i get a feel of my distance from them.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You couldn't really tank in Demon's Souls because there wasn't poise in that game.

Although without poise the Four Kings on NG+ or further might have been near impossible for many players. Even though I've more or less mastered their moves I still need to swing through a bit of damage to get rid of them quickly.

But I'm still sore we didn't get a good equivalent to the Dark Silver Shield or Ancient King's Set, which was the perfect lighter heavy armor with no stamina penalty with a great battle to obtain it.

Mxrz

I like the idea in theory, not so much in its current implementation. Not entirely sure what I want out of the next Souls game with armor. But I'd like to wear lighter, sexy armors and not get completely locked down with so much as a scrape.

Thinking of rolling a character through Demon's Souls again before the DLC hits. I miss 2-2. Invading there was the best time I've had with the series.

I like the idea in theory, not so much in its current implementation. Not entirely sure what I want out of the next Souls game with armor. But I'd like to wear lighter, sexy armors and not get completely locked down with so much as a scrape.

I haven't really played as a melee focused character yet, but I do wish there was some sort of middle ground. The armors tend to go into two categories: mage (light) or tank (heavy). I'd like some sleek, neat middle ground armor. I played a thief/pyro my first playthrough and ended up wearing mage gear most of the game because there wasn't anything worthwhile that I could still roll around in as a thief.

On another note, beat the game a second time with my sorcerer build, and wow sorcerers really are easy mode. First playthrough was ~80 hours for my first character. Clocked in at under 32 hours for the sorcerer and ended the game at a higher level to boot.

All I have left now is one of the covenants, the all miracles and all rare weapons achievements and I'm done. Will probably use the sorcerer build to get all the rare weapons (finally have a decent weapon to do some tail chopping with) and my paladin run-through will pick up the last covenant (the Faith-based one) and the all miracles.

Soulhouf

I haven't really played as a melee focused character yet, but I do wish there was some sort of middle ground. The armors tend to go into two categories: mage (light) or tank (heavy). I'd like some sleek, neat middle ground armor. I played a thief/pyro my first playthrough and ended up wearing mage gear most of the game because there wasn't anything worthwhile that I could still roll around in as a thief.

On another note, beat the game a second time with my sorcerer build, and wow sorcerers really are easy mode. First playthrough was ~80 hours for my first character. Clocked in at under 32 hours for the sorcerer and ended the game at a higher level to boot.

All I have left now is one of the covenants, the all miracles and all rare weapons achievements and I'm done. Will probably use the sorcerer build to get all the rare weapons (finally have a decent weapon to do some tail chopping with) and my paladin run-through will pick up the last covenant (the Faith-based one) and the all miracles.

I like the idea but poise armors need to be a lot heavier so that you can never be able to fast roll with those even with Havel ring equipped, unless you invest a lot in endurance (something like 50-60).

spekkeh

Banned
I beat it the first time with out it. Why do you say it's broken? *online was broken when the game first came out kinda*

Well, things like the merchant in Undead Burg, did anyone find him without a guide or another user telling them where to go? But it's almost impossible without him.

spekkeh

Banned
The merchant in Undead Burg is one of the first things you come across, if you went to Undead Burg I can't see how you could miss him.

Well he's not exactly in the right direction and hidden behind crates, but okay maybe not the best of examples (although you'd be amazed how often I've walked past there before reading a guide).

zewone

I missed him too for quite some time. The first merchant and blacksmith I found was in New Londo Ruins. I couldn't find anyone else for quite some time. Including the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Mxrz

I made sure to play blind on my first trip. The only spot I ran into trouble was Sen's. For whatever reasons. I didn't see the doorway in the room where you turn the rocks to the different paths. Instead I spent hours trying to to find a hidden wall or secret path that would take me to the top.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well he's not exactly in the right direction and hidden behind crates, but okay maybe not the best of examples (although you'd be amazed how often I've walked past there before reading a guide).

What? The merchant in Undead Burg isn't hidden by anything except those two annoying skeletons at the start. The hidden behind shit is that one skeleton that is a surprise from From.

ijed said:

Yeah. Because Poison Cloud was useful against bosses if you wanted to cheese/solo them. Where as, S&O has bullshit rush tactics, bullshit lock-on-freak outs to where mages are pretty much BONED against them.

And De Souls did have tanking in the shield system. Poise only allows you to not be hit stunned, which frankly is bullshit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What? The merchant in Undead Burg isn't hidden by anything except those two annoying skeletons at the start. The hidden behind shit is that one skeleton that is a surprise from From.

The stairs that lead to the merchant he is talking about is hidden by crates. If you're not into destroying stuff I can see how you can easily miss the guy. ::shrugs::

Dresden

I made sure to play blind on my first trip. The only spot I ran into trouble was Sen's. For whatever reasons. I didn't see the doorway in the room where you turn the rocks to the different paths. Instead I spent hours trying to to find a hidden wall or secret path that would take me to the top.

I got stuck after the gargoyles on my first playthrough because I thought Darkroot was the logical place to go after it...

So is anyone playing this game without online functionalities? I'm starting to think the game is a bit broken without it.
I'm playing strictly offline. No real problems. Just have to look around, break shit, etc.

It's like an old school Nintendo game. :D

ProTip: There are in fact illusionary walls in this game that must be dispelled by striking them.

I got stuck after the gargoyles on my first playthrough because I thought Darkroot was the logical place to go after it...
I didn't get stuck, but my exploration was cut short when I ran into the Black Knight at the bottom. I decided that wasn't the right way to go. :D

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I want the little cartoon Solaire praising the sun in the corner as an avatar so bad
I'm playing strictly offline. No real problems. Just have to look around, break shit, etc.

It's like an old school Nintendo game. :D

ProTip: There are in fact illusionary walls in this game that must be dispelled by striking them.
Why are you playing strictly offline? I don't get people who do this. PVP grief is easily outweighed by the fun of player co-op, funny and helpful messages and other online functions.

TheSeks

Hah. Valley of Drakes was an easy five minute trip. Dunno why I postponed going there so long, three Wrath of the God's with the Boost Miracle and the undead dragon similar to the painted world went down without a fight.

Dragons on the bridge were a little annoying but the sunbros lightning spear attack cleared them out.

Leaves Nito and stone grinding until the DLC hits PS3 and I can finish the game then rush through it against for the last few rare weapons/drops. *sigh*

Why are you playing strictly offline? I don't get people who do this. PVP grief is easily outweighed by the fun of player co-op, funny and helpful messages and other online functions.
My XBL Gold expired in January. I have a card to renew, but I don't feel motivated to do so unless I'm playing something else multiplayer (still need to do a full level 50 Horde and Beast mode run in Gears 3, for example, but until I get the peeps together, why waste subscription time?)

Opening this game up to getting griefed is not something I want to do. The game itself does a fine job, thankyouvermuch.

I'm just fine going solo without player messages.

spekkeh

Banned
I made sure to play blind on my first trip.
Okay I'll push on then. I kept reading how people made it through because they summoned a guy here, or got a message there, and I kept dying and was like gaah I don't want to consult a guide and have my immersion broken while other people do get the aid in-game.

The game is way better with online play. You're missing out.

Oh pluh!

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah no XBL Gold here either. I'm starting to wish developers kept games like these, where online is an important factor of singleplayer, exclusive to the PS to spite Microsoft.

Okay I'll push on then. I kept reading how people made it through because they summoned a guy here, or got a message there, and I kept dying and was like gaah I don't want to consult a guide and have my immersion broken while other people do get the aid in-game.

Just post here for help to get hints.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You guys have to see this. It is a thing I found when looking for images of Solaire.

emDCs.gif

http://wombatsamurai.aisites.com/sbq/
So I have to throw together a flash program in nine weeks for my motion graphics course. I decided on a simple game, because I'm an overachiever and I hate myself. So, I'm doing a brief demo of a 16-bit Dragon Quest-esque dungeon crawler starring Dark Souls' Solaire of Astora. You move around a small section of dungeon, random fights pop up, and you battle monsters with a unique turn-based system.

It's mostly fluid notes so far, but I'll post more as I finish it. For now, have the first overworld sprites, shamelessly aping LttP.

Praise the sun!

Avf99.gif

patPort.gif

Trusty Patches
Your best friend in the whole wide world, Trusty Patches is clearly a trustworthy individual. I mean, it's in his name! Patches will keep your valuables safe while you adventure, and helps you descend from high places.

CBccE.gif

ykNKA.gif

2AdEPT

My XBL Gold expired in January. I have a card to renew, but I don't feel motivated to do so unless I'm playing something else multiplayer (still need to do a full level 50 Horde and Beast mode run in Gears 3, for example, but until I get the peeps together, why waste subscription time?)

Opening this game up to getting griefed is not something I want to do. The game itself does a fine job, thankyouvermuch.

I'm just fine going solo without player messages.

I realize you have your reasons for not playing online, but, "I don't want to open myself up to getting griefed" isn't a good reason. You won't get griefed unless you are human, and there is no real reason to be human more than a few seconds at time to kindle fires etc. or to summon friends.......which can be done at boss doors etc. If you want to piss off an invader just open the boss door adn see what happens to him! Booted! Any pending friendly phantoms can join after the fact and go through the door but invaders can't.

The pyschology of dying for me was similar to you at first, but once I realized I was dying 10 times in a row from the game, if I died one extra time from a griefer it was mildly annoying at worst...at best it is extra experience and a learnign opportunity, even if its only to suggest to you that you don't want to be like that when you try invading later. There are lots of ways to ensure you are a fair invader and respectful to the ethics of the game and the commuinity definitely needs more invaders like you!

I realize you have your reasons for not playing online, but, "I don't want to open myself up to getting griefed" isn't a good reason.
Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Edit: Let me elaborate some. It's not just about being invaded and killed. I did my homework on Dark Souls online and griefing potential. There are NPCs that evidently give different dialog if you are Hollow or Human, and will permanently go hostile if attacked, or disappear, without a chance to do penance from that Paul Bearer dude under the bell tower. For instance, I just found the Giant Blacksmith, and evidently griefers like to invade and try to make you fight in his room so you accidentally attack him, removing his services from the game for that playthrough.

I'm sure there are other ways to bone someone by invading at just the right moment.

Fuck that.

Yeah. Because Poison Cloud was useful against bosses if you wanted to cheese/solo them. Where as, S&O has bullshit rush tactics, bullshit lock-on-freak outs to where mages are pretty much BONED against them.

The first time I fought S&O, I ended up soloing them as a thief/pyro hybrid. It was difficult but doable, not nearly as terrible as you make it out to be. Once you know their tactics they're fairly easy to dodge, as long as you're mindful to keep track of both and not just one.

I think the most important part of playing online is getting the messages of other players. I really only go human when I'm about to try a boss I need help on, so I rarely get PVP'd. (Although it's basically a guarantee in NG+ that you're going to be invaded if you're human in the Undead Parish). I've never really co-op'd an entire area with anyone before, though.

zewone

You're missing so much by not being connected. A lot of the fun of exploring is the messages that are there to help or to troll you. Plus, co-oping in this game is a ton of fun. At first, I was very much against invasions, but after about 200 hours, it became my favorite part.

TheSeks

Multiple pinwheels was harder than Nito himself. Only problem with that fight was the stupid skeletons but the Sword of Atorias made work of them and then I just Crystal White Breathed Nito to death along with a few thunder spears. Neat?

Time to farm drops and stones, yay. :/

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Edit: Let me elaborate some. It's not just about being invaded and killed. I did my homework on Dark Souls online and griefing potential. There are NPCs that evidently give different dialog if you are Hollow or Human, and will permanently go hostile if attacked, or disappear, without a chance to do penance from that Paul Bearer dude under the bell tower. For instance, I just found the Giant Blacksmith, and evidently griefers like to invade and try to make you fight in his room so you accidentally attack him, removing his services from the game for that playthrough.

I'm sure there are other ways to bone someone by invading at just the right moment.

Fuck that.

Just stay hollow. I'm not aware of any NPC quest line that depends on you being human, except summoning Solaire I guess.

Roche

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Fuck that.

I really wouldn't worry too much about people trying out elaborate griefing in your world, pretty much everyone wants to fight for souls/humanity or a few just find it fun and interesting hence honor duels. You're really degrading your experience if you don't at least try out the online modes.

The most griefing I ever get just results in me getting killed from cheap PvP tactics (which I'm not sure counts as griefing) while it may be a set back, isn't that big of a deal considering how much I die anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom