• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Edit: Let me elaborate some. It's not just about being invaded and killed. I did my homework on Dark Souls online and griefing potential. There are NPCs that evidently give different dialog if you are Hollow or Human, and will permanently go hostile if attacked, or disappear, without a chance to do penance from that Paul Bearer dude under the bell tower. For instance, I just found the Giant Blacksmith, and evidently griefers like to invade and try to make you fight in his room so you accidentally attack him, removing his services from the game for that playthrough.

I'm sure there are other ways to bone someone by invading at just the right moment.

Fuck that.

Someone lied to you about the NPCs, and the latter scenario with the giant blacksmith is so unlikely to happen that you shouldn't even bother. Playing in hollow form eliminates all the disadvantages without the handicap that DeSouls had, anyways.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fear will lead people to do some crazy things. Personally I feel like the AI controlled enemies put more fear in my heart than any player controlled invader ever did.

Different strokes I guess.

Wool

Could anyone fill me in on the upcoming DLC? I put a good 250 hours into the game back when it came out and over the winter, but have not touched it in months. I only found out DLC was coming from an ad on Steam, and I didn't even know it was going to be on PC...

Guise, you can grief me on my second play through, if I decide to do one.

Griefing rarely, rarely occurs. Most of the griefing doesn't happen until you hit NG+ because players like to PVP with high stats. You're not going to get griefed on your first playthrough by a lvl 100 cheeser who wants to fuck with you.

Anybody who invades at lower levels is most likely doing it for fun and enjoyment of PvP and so is less likely to do things that screw with your actual playthrough, they'll just duel you.

Could anyone fill me in on the upcoming DLC? I put a good 250 hours into the game back when it came out and over the winter, but have not touched it in months. I only found out DLC was coming from an ad on Steam, and I didn't even know it was going to be on PC...

The DLC's coming with the PC edition in August, then later for consoles. From what I understand, there's going to be three or four new areas and three or four new bosses. Story wise, it's
most likely going to take place in Oolacile and involve Artorias the Abysswalker in some way.
In interviews, the team's said there's going to be new NPCs, new armor and items, and new enemies to fight. Seems like it's going to be a decent chunk of new stuff worthwhile for DLC. And it'll be $15.

Orayn

It centers on Artorias and involves a little bit of time travel. New bosses, new NPCs, new items, some form of PVP arena, and it's supposed to be at least 6-8 hours long. It's built into the PC version, and will come out on consoles for $15 some time this winter.

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Edit: Let me elaborate some. It's not just about being invaded and killed. I did my homework on Dark Souls online and griefing potential. There are NPCs that evidently give different dialog if you are Hollow or Human, and will permanently go hostile if attacked, or disappear, without a chance to do penance from that Paul Bearer dude under the bell tower. For instance, I just found the Giant Blacksmith, and evidently griefers like to invade and try to make you fight in his room so you accidentally attack him, removing his services from the game for that playthrough.

I'm sure there are other ways to bone someone by invading at just the right moment.

Fuck that.
This is possible, but you have a misconception of it's possibility.

NPCs are greyed out to invaders and phantoms - they can't walk up to an NPC and hit them - they CAN stand next to them and only if you are stupid enough to walk up to them and attack will your weapon hit the NPC. If an invader is, say, standing behind the giant blacksmith where the chest is, unless you go in that room and attack the blacksmith there's no way the invader can aggro him.

Simple as this: If you see an invader doing this, don't attack and they will have to do something else eventually because unless you go up to them, they can't kill you either (OK arrows or something, but you can run away/stand behind a wall etc). You have the entire level at your disposal, it's rare that combat would take place next to an NPC.

I've never seen anyone actually do this any way (I have stood behind Solaire myself as an invader a few times, only once did someone take the bait!)

Orayn

I'm liking the rules you have for this PvP, gets rid of most of the BS and levels it out to skill and choice of weapons etc.

Their ruleset does seem a little FOX ONLY, NO ITEMS, FINAL DESTINATION, but that's probably a good thing given the state of unrestricted Dark Souls PvP.

Mxrz

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Fuck that.

None of this is true. I mean yeah, you can hit the Giant, but invading just to get someone to do it seems like a whole lot of work for practically nothing. Most people aren't going to bother. The only real griefing tends to happen when you invade another player and spawn into 3 dudes camping invaders and the dragon glitchers. - Getting invaded & Invading is a whole lot of fun once you get over the initial anxiety. With campfires now, you're never set back all that far by a death, and the added element really brings out the best of the game. - I wouldn't pay for live just for it, but then I wouldn't pay for live in general.

Anyhoo - I'm not one to tell others how to play this game or any other, but some of these posts lately reads like ya'll are stressing out about things, and there isn't any need to. Not in "LAWL THIS GAME IS EASY NOOBS" manner, just that if you're struggling (We all did) there are a lot of ways to cheese it up, and break the game wide open if you need to.

I'm liking the rules you have for this PvP, gets rid of most of the BS and levels it out to skill and choice of weapons etc.
I don't think Dark Souls duels will ever be on Demon's level. Just isn't as much variance in builds/setups, it all just starts feeling same-y.

I got stuck after the gargoyles on my first playthrough because I thought Darkroot was the logical place to go after it...

I always go to Darkroot after Gargoyles! It's pretty clear to me that the developers intended that you go there before Depths/Blighttown just by judging how often the enemies drop anti-poison items (pretty much everytime).

Time to farm drops and stones, yay. :/
Leaves Nito and stone grinding until the DLC hits PS3 and I can finish the game then rush through it against for the last few rare weapons/drops. *sigh*

You sure sound like you are having fun times with this game!

Yeah. Because Poison Cloud was useful against bosses if you wanted to cheese/solo them. Where as, S&O has bullshit rush tactics, bullshit lock-on-freak outs to where mages are pretty much BONED against them.

You know you can easily cheese through S&O with bow and arrows pretty much blindfolded, all you need to do is walk backwards if you want to and it doesn't even take that much time. Heh.

ArynCrinn

Banned
You know you can easily cheese through S&O with bow and arrows pretty much blindfolded, all you need to do is walk backwards if you want to and it doesn't even take that much time. Heh.

I was shocked on my re-roll that with 15 Dex you could absolutely cheese both O&S, crossbow or fire bow works best though. In the end it felt so un-Souls-like I just mopped up Uber Ornstein the old fashioned way. BSS+10 with fire, Cresent shield on back.

2AdEPT

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Fuck that........Guise, you can grief me on my second play through, if I decide to do one. .

never killed an NPC unintentionally in over 1000 hours of souls games...you have more control over your own character than you think. Different dialogue???? POssible, but not game changing.....I guess for those that play their 50 hours and quit, thats that then......but you don't get ot 1000 hours in the souls series by going offline....THis game owes me nothing....although I am hoping for loads more hours of entertianment from FROM.

Plus...no one on this board and very few anywere are what you consider "griefers." Sure I have invaded...but it is actaully the guys ganking a sole invader with two phantoms 3 on 1 that is seen as impolite, (hate the G word now so much I can't repeat it anymore) Best invasion ever I was able to use the titanite demon in Anor Lando as an ally as they were too stupid to let it live before doign their gank routine......adn plucked off all 3 derps that were waiting at the spawn point for me (after escaping them by running/rolliing away initially of course).......now that's rewarding. 80K souls and a few humanity in 5 minutes for a level 50 something Faith chick was decent haul as well.

ijed

There are NPCs that evidently give different dialog if you are Hollow or Human, and will permanently go hostile if attacked, or disappear, without a chance to do penance from that Paul Bearer dude under the bell tower.
still not sure if that misspelling was intentional or not...
Paul-Bearer.jpg

keh heh heh

Only NPC I've hit was the lady vendor on the way to the depths shortcut on the first time I came back from there - she freaked me out!

Soulhouf

I hit NPCs by accident several times in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls but that was always because I was using a big weapon like Zweihander (ultra great swords always had more range than I ever predicted).
That's why I always use exclusively spears during my first run. It's safe given its extremely precision and allows you to tank behind a shield and attack at the same time.

Either wait until Anor Londo, grab the Occult Club and downgrade it to Divine. Or take any weapon to +5, get the Divine Ember from after the butterfly, gather some green titanite and upgrade at Andre.

Augustus

Banned
thanks for that. I managed to beat him (it?) with a regular weapon. I was getting about with a lighting spear +3 for aaages, and i just though of thought... surely ive got a better weapon by now. Im currently using a black knight halberd +5(or great.. i cant remember, i got it from the giant knights in anor londo), and im a wrecking machine compared to my old weapon lol.. how the hell i got so far using the spear il never know haha.

Redd

Yes it is.

Fuck you.

Fuck that.

I get what you're saying but you really miss out on the fun Co-op in Dark Souls. Nothing grates on me more then trying to explore an area without getting invaded every 5 minutes by some guy looking for a fight. Never got the appeal of PvP even though I win 9 out of every 10 fights. To each their own I guess.

On two occasions and I'm not even exaggerating, I had to duel 10 guys before I got summon both my friends to Co-op an area. It was The Catacombs and Anor Londo. Not fun to me but I ended with an extra 10 humanity and over 100,000 souls. All worth it for the Co-op. Private Chat one friend and Skype with my other bud.

2AdEPT

thanks for that. I managed to beat him (it?) with a regular weapon. I was getting about with a lighting spear +3 for aaages, and i just though of thought... surely ive got a better weapon by now. Im currently using a black knight halberd +5(or great.. i cant remember, i got it from the giant knights in anor londo), and im a wrecking machine compared to my old weapon lol.. how the hell i got so far using the spear il never know haha.

if its the crystal halberd you got for the chest near the giants at the start of AL it will run out of juice...if you got a giant's halberd drop it is really good but heavy to wield...you must have a load of strength???

I've started a new dude with dex/ int as my focus. This time I'm so much better at PvP than my str/vit/end charchter it is amazing.

How many attunement slots do you guys recommend? I have 3 (soul mass, great soul arrow, magic weapon).

Dresden

I've started a new dude with dex/ int as my focus. This time I'm so much better at PvP than my str/vit/end charchter it is amazing.

How many attunement slots do you guys recommend? I have 3 (soul mass, great soul arrow, magic weapon).

5 is usually enough and it doesn't take a lot of points in att. 6 is cutting it close.

Finally started playing this semi-regularly, killed the Moonlight Butterfly and the three huge cats of Darkroot Garden, however, I don't quite understand how you can be summoned to other worlds?

From what I know in order to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant one has to be summoned to other games to lower the requirements, but I don't know how I'm supposed to do it.

Really good game, though the bosses so far have been easy compared to the big groups of enemies.

Finally started playing this semi-regularly, killed the Moonlight Butterfly and the three huge cats of Darkroot Garden, however, I don't quite understand how you can be summoned to other worlds?

From what I know in order to join the Warrior of Sunlight covenant one has to be summoned to other games to lower the requirements, but I don't know how I'm supposed to do it.
You need the white soapstone, which is an item you get from Solaire as a gift, he's the knight that is standing at the opposite end of the bridge from the red dragon.

You use the item and it puts a symbol down on the ground where you used it that other players of a similar level can see and summon you to their world.

You can be summoned whilst either human or hollow, but can only summon others whilst human (same for invading, which is the anti version of co-op using a red (reusable) or cracked (one-time use) red stone).

You'll figure out the best place to put your summon sign, in general it's around (but not right on top of) bonfires. For example in Undead Burg most summon signs are just outside the bonfire room, for Undead Parish it's the area where the path to the blacksmith starts, or around the altar bonfire (under the dragon). If you're not seeing other people's summon signs it probably means you're hollow (your character looks like a zombie) and need to use a humanity to reverse hollow at any bonfire - you'll notice your character's appearance will become more human looking - you can now summon other players and be invaded by them too.

Booshka

So glad the Ring of Sacrifice trick works, I've been running through playthroughs with a character at level 125 for a long time, I've also completed over 200 summons so I have 57 million souls on me. Whenever I die I just throw on a ring of sacrifice so I can get my bloodstain risk free.

I created this character to beat up on NG+ and beyond bosses, and it works really well. Power Within + CMW on a +15 Falchion/Baller Swag Sword/Great Scythe with 40 Dex.
I do most of my summons in New Londo Ruins for Four Kings and I absolutely wreck them, you don't even need poise, just get in close and DPS.

So far Gwyn is the hardest for me on NG++++++, I'm using light armor so I don't have the poise to tank, I have to parry riposte him perfectly and not get hit more than once most of the time. I've tried summoning people, but they all get merked because they aren't prepared for the difficulty haha.

You need the white soapstone, which is an item you get from Solaire as a gift, he's the knight that is standing at the opposite end of the bridge from the red dragon.

You use the item and it puts a symbol down on the ground where you used it that other players of a similar level can see and summon you to their world.

You can be summoned whilst either human or hollow, but can only summon others whilst human (same for invading, which is the anti version of co-op using a red (reusable) or cracked (one-time use) red stone).

You'll figure out the best place to put your summon sign, in general it's around (but not right on top of) bonfires. For example in Undead Burg most summon signs are just outside the bonfire room, for Undead Parish it's the area where the path to the blacksmith starts, or around the altar bonfire (under the dragon). If you're not seeing other people's summon signs it probably means you're hollow (your character looks like a zombie) and need to use a humanity to reverse hollow at any bonfire - you'll notice your character's appearance will become more human looking - you can now summon other players and be invaded by them too.
Alright, thanks.

After you leave the symbol to be summoned you can still play normally until someone summons you, or you have to wait?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Getting these slabs is taking forever. I just need them for the type weapon upgrades. Ugh.

So glad the Ring of Sacrifice trick works, I've been running through playthroughs with a character at level 125 for a long time, I've also completed over 200 summons so I have 57 million souls on me. Whenever I die I just throw on a ring of sacrifice so I can get my bloodstain risk free.

I created this character to beat up on NG+ and beyond bosses, and it works really well. Power Within + CMW on a +15 Falchion/Baller Swag Sword/Great Scythe with 40 Dex.
I do most of my summons in New Londo Ruins for Four Kings and I absolutely wreck them, you don't even need poise, just get in close and DPS.

So far Gwyn is the hardest for me on NG++++++, I'm using light armor so I don't have the poise to tank, I have to parry riposte him perfectly and not get hit more than once most of the time. I've tried summoning people, but they all get merked because they aren't prepared for the difficulty haha.

Yeah, I noticed Gwyn becomes ridiculous in later rounds. He smashes through the artorias shield like it's nothing.

Mxrz

I am thinking about doing the DLC at sl30. Hopefully still low enough to keep it challenging, but with higher vit/health. Not expecting it'll be all that hard with higher levels.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gwyn is one of the easiest bosses in the game for me on any difficulty. No reason to not use a target shield or other easy-parry option with him either; Once you get the parry timing down it's impossible to lose.

His attack speed doesn't increase with subsequent playthroughs so it's literally just a matter of adding 3-5 parries to what it would normally take to kill him.

Get yourself an upgraded Ricard's Rapier with +5 Occult and wear the hornet ring to get the most damage you can possibly do with a parry.

Augustus

Banned
if its the crystal halberd you got for the chest near the giants at the start of AL it will run out of juice...if you got a giant's halberd drop it is really good but heavy to wield...you must have a load of strength???

im not sure what my strength is tbh. I am nearly level 80 overall though, from memory. I found the area with the baby skeletons respawning, and got about 50 humanity and 300k souls and levelled up like a bitch.

Dresden

Gwyn has a very lenient timing with parries, practice for a few minutes against those black knights en route and you're good to go.

Great fight if you actually duke it out with him though.

ijed

Getting these slabs is taking forever. I just need them for the type weapon upgrades. Ugh.

how can it take forever? knowing you'll do the quit after upgrading glitch you're only going to need one of each.... and besides maybe the blue slab you should already have the others when you did those areas...

Soulhouf

The other day I ran into a player with full Giant set and the giant halberd and giant shield.
Dude, you're the first giant set wearer who has my total respect.

Alright, thanks.

After you leave the symbol to be summoned you can still play normally until someone summons you, or you have to wait?
Play as normal yes, you are restricted to within a certain area though (usually about half the level or up to the boss door in smaller areas) - you'll get a message telling you the sign has worn off when you go outside the area.

how can it take forever? knowing you'll do the quit after upgrading glitch you're only going to need one of each.... and besides maybe the blue slab you should already have the others when you did those areas...
Quit after upgrading glitch? Is this different to the BB glitch?

It's generally easier to get the upgrade trophies across different characters, so that you don't have to farm for more slabs. Just bring two different characters to Crystal Caves and you have your two blue slabs, for example.

krakov

Since you'll be doing a full ng+ for the rare weapons you will get enough slabs anyway. No reason to farm them if trophies is the reason to get them.

Sullichin

Quit after upgrading glitch? Is this different to the BB glitch?

If you use a slab and quit the game before exiting out of the crafting menu, the trophy will pop and you'll still have the slab, apparently.

I don't think Dark Souls duels will ever be on Demon's level. Just isn't as much variance in builds/setups, it all just starts feeling same-y.

There are far more weapons, spells, and armor in Dark Souls. It feels samey because most people feel like they need to use DWGR + the best armor to compete. I really think a nerf to DWGR would make PVP more versatile.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I said it a hundred pages ago but I'll say it again since I've started following the thread again:

If anyone on PS3 wants help getting the rare weapons let me know via PM, I got the Dark Soul platinum trophy ages ago and wouldn't mind an excuse to play the game a bit more again.

I said it a hundred pages ago but I'll say it again since I've started following the thread again:

If anyone on PS3 wants help getting the rare weapons let me know via PM, I got the Dark Soul platinum trophy ages ago and wouldn't mind an excuse to play the game a bit more again.

I'm probably going to be attempting getting rare weapons in the future. The fucking Trident is going to be the bane of my existence I'm sure.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm probably going to be attempting getting rare weapons in the future. The fucking Trident is going to be the bane of my existence I'm sure.
I feel guilty because I got most of them without trying, picked up the Trident when going back through the Archives on the way to Crystal Caves to get the Blue Slab I missed.

But yeah shoot me a PM and we'll exchange gamertags, would be glad to help save you some grinding.

tumblr_lu46w8OdQX1qiuk8ko1_500.jpg

Mxrz

There are far more weapons, spells, and armor in Dark Souls. It feels samey because most people feel like they need to use DWGR + the best armor to compete. I really think a nerf to DWGR would make PVP more versatile.

I believe the problem is the weapons. While there are more of them, they aren't as balanced and some things--like backstab fishing--just doesn't have counters any more. Heavy Strength weapons aren't viable at all. Even if you hit, they can poise tank it, and backstab. Polearms are terrible on average. Some weapons lock easier than Dual Uchi or gAxes ever did. And on top of all of that, there isn't a Crushing or Sharp upgrade path any more, so +15 & Buffs rendered pure builds obsolete.

Its a different experience than what was going on in Demon's. I probably wouldn't have wanted Dark Souls to be the exact same, but it does seem like they could've balanced the weapons out a little more to give us back some counters and counter-counters.

I still haven't gotten over the removal of my beloved Mirdan Hammer. I'm going to get my hopes up about the DLC, but they did promise new weapons I think?

Yo Gotti

Banned
I wish that they'd bring Crushing back so badly. A build focused on crushing guards/poise/stamina would be the perfect counter to all Magic and Lightning weapon builds that dominate PVP.

EDIT: Is there EVER a time where Raw is a good upgrade path?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I wish that they'd bring Crushing back so badly. A build focused on crushing guards/poise/stamina would be the perfect counter to all Magic and Lightning weapon builds that dominate PVP.

EDIT: Is there EVER a time where Raw is a good upgrade path?

There's hypothetically a point in time if you have nothing but the Large Ember that a Raw +5 would be slightly better than a normal +10 weapon, assuming that you've got no plans of using the weapon so upgraded in the long term.

So basically no. There's never a time where Raw is a good upgrade path. In the absolute best case scenario it's a dead-end upgrade that's marginally stronger than non-dead-end alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom