• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Talk to the guy below the first bell (Gargoyles) and you can request absolution. Just avoid the blacksmith until you do that and you'll be find. Bring a lot of souls though, it's quite expensive.

Edit: Boss souls will carry over. All items do except the Artorias ring and the rite of kindling.

Orange Charred Ring too, which sucks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Talk to the guy below the first bell (Gargoyles) and you can request absolution. Just avoid the blacksmith until you do that and you'll be find. Bring a lot of souls though, it's quite expensive.

Edit: Boss souls will carry over. All items do except the Artorias ring and the rite of kindling.

Thanks. Reset him. Now I just need Seath's tail drop which should be easy to get and then it's a matter of crafting weapons and tail drops besides Gwyn's soul for the Sunbro miracle and buying the remaining miracle/spell/pyros I have left to mop up toward Platinum and finishing the game. >_<

Wowbagger

I've been trying to get summoned to help with boss battles (currently waiting outside O&S with no luck at lvl 42) but have yet to be summoned once. Sad day.

You waited outside the boss fog gate? You'll have more luck if you place your sign on the bridge at the start of the area, right after the lift down from the first bonfire; or in the room with the second bonfire, where you encounter Solaire.

For my third playthrough I'm definitely going to go paladin build with heavy armor + faith. However I'm not sure if I should start as a Knight and build my Faith up, or start as a Cleric and build my Strength up. Thoughts?

If you pick cleric, you save 1-4 levels depending on how many you invest in dex. You can do enough damage just upgrading your weapons and getting elemental versions for the late game areas, so I'd focus on faith first.

Is it normal to start the game with a red titanite chunk? Was making a new build and I got one the moment the game started in the jail cell.

I decided to explore Blighttown a little.

First time I've ever used a Homeward Bone.

Feels like a NES Ninja Gaiden stage with blowpipe fuckers. That 'toxic' you.

I'm gonna need more herbs.

If you pick cleric, you save 1-4 levels depending on how many you invest in dex. You can do enough damage just upgrading your weapons and getting elemental versions for the late game areas, so I'd focus on faith first.

Cool, cleric it is, then.

I had something really weird happen. I got summoned to help a guy with Sif (really fucking easy battle as a Sorcerer, four Soul Spears and two Homing Soul Masses and he went down like a chump, far different from when I had to launch every Pyro spell I owned and then still get in there to finish him off melee style) and about a quarter of the way through the battle, Sif's model just froze. Didn't move at all. And I'm a sorcerer, so I just keep casting spells at him. And the guy I'm helping is confused, but he's a melee, so he dances in then back out, then back in again...and by this time I've gotten him down to about 1/3 health and he still hasn't moved at all. So the other guy decides it's safe to charge in and melee him. He gets two hits in, then suddenly keels over dead. Sif still hasn't moved, so I assume it's just some sort of glitch.

And right as I'm about to get teleported back into my game, Sif rotates and faces me right as the screen fades to black. Not turning in an animated way, no, the character model just rotates on the Y axis to face me as I leave.

Sif is fucking terrifying even as a glitch. Jesus.

Kogepan

You waited outside the boss fog gate? You'll have more luck if you place your sign on the bridge at the start of the area, right after the lift down from the first bonfire; or in the room with the second bonfire, where you encounter Solaire.

yeh, put your summon right by the bonfire. Most people will have gotten 2 partners by the time they get to the fog gate so you're not gonna get much action there.

Zaventem

Cool, cleric it is, then.

I had something really weird happen. I got summoned to help a guy with Sif (really fucking easy battle as a Sorcerer, four Soul Spears and two Homing Soul Masses and he went down like a chump, far different from when I had to launch every Pyro spell I owned and then still get in there to finish him off melee style) and about a quarter of the way through the battle, Sif's model just froze. Didn't move at all. And I'm a sorcerer, so I just keep casting spells at him. And the guy I'm helping is confused, but he's a melee, so he dances in then back out, then back in again...and by this time I've gotten him down to about 1/3 health and he still hasn't moved at all. So the other guy decides it's safe to charge in and melee him. He gets two hits in, then suddenly keels over dead. Sif still hasn't moved, so I assume it's just some sort of glitch.

And right as I'm about to get teleported back into my game, Sif rotates and faces me right as the screen fades to black. Not turning in an animated way, no, the character model just rotates on the Y axis to face me as I leave.

Sif is fucking terrifying even as a glitch. Jesus.

I think it's a glitch or lag on your side.Like if you've ever invaded someone or have been invaded and you just see them randomly teleport or swing and hit you from a mile away.

lilty

Thanks. Reset him. Now I just need Seath's tail drop which should be easy to get and then it's a matter of crafting weapons and tail drops besides Gwyn's soul for the Sunbro miracle and buying the remaining miracle/spell/pyros I have left to mop up toward Platinum and finishing the game. >_<

I'm going for the platinum too. (Well, not really since I'm on 360) I just need a couple miracles and to craft the rare weapons and I'm pretty much done. Apparently I need a +15 weapon though, which kind of sucks because New Londo is my least favourite part in the entire game.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'm going for the platinum too. (Well, not really since I'm on 360) I just need a couple miracles and to craft the rare weapons and I'm pretty much done. Apparently I need a +15 weapon though, which kind of sucks because New Londo is my least favourite part in the entire game.

If you're planning on doing anymore NG+'s, I recommend the Eagle Shield +15 and never look back. One of the best choices for a +15 crafting imo, great overall defense and stability and it's pretty lightweight too.

lilty

If you're planning on doing anymore NG+'s, I recommend the Eagle Shield +15 and never look back. One of the best choices for a +15 crafting imo, great overall defense and stability and it's pretty lightweight too.

My build right now is pretty terrible. I was just planning on getting to Sif in NG++ so I can finish these collection achievements and then I was gonna make a new build for PvP and the DLC. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check it out.

krakov

The first blowdart guy chased me off. I need to up my poison resistance.

Resistance against poison and toxic really doesn't help that much. There is a shield that will help you block against the toxic darts and it's probably easiest to just tank out poison whenever it occurs.

lilty

Did you happen to pick a master key as your starting gift? If you did there's an alternate route that can take you to the 2nd bonfire in Blighttown which is relatively close to the 2nd bell.

Dresden

Everyone should go through the Depths route the first time. Also he'd have to backtrack all the way back to Firelink to use the 'shortcut', which would be worthless for him at this point.

lilty

Everyone should go through the Depths route the first time. Also he'd have to backtrack all the way back to Firelink to use the 'shortcut', which would be worthless for him at this point.

True, I just think the way he's going now is a bit of a chore especially the 1st time through.

Did you happen to pick a master key as your starting gift? If you did there's an alternate route that can take you to the 2nd bonfire in Blighttown which is relatively close to the 2nd bell.
Yes, I chose Master Key... I 'cheated' a little and looked up some starting tips.

I'm back at Firelink anyway. I usually end my play session returning to Firelink.

Old Dungeons & Dragons habit... never rest in the dungeon. :D

lilty

Yes, I chose Master Key... I 'cheated' a little and looked up some starting tips.

Try to avoid looking anything else up unless you feel you really need to. The game is a million times better if you experience everything for yourself.

Master Key is really the only starting gift that makes sense to me.

Croc

Banned
Finally got to the end of Sen's Fortress and ended up summoning two phantoms to help me with the fight. This is my first time through so I'm not too concerned with keeping the challenge of the fights; I just want to win. I'm in Anor Londo now and damn, it's beautiful. It's definitely my favorite place in the game so far (visually).

lilty

Finally got to the end of Sen's Fortress and ended up summoning two phantoms to help me with the fight. This is my first time through so I'm not too concerned with keeping the challenge of the fights; I just want to win. I'm in Anor Londo now and damn, it's beautiful. It's definitely my favorite place in the game so far (visually).

Have fun. You're going to be summoning more help pretty soon.

TheSeks

Any place to buy Titanite Chunks and other stones needed to upgrade weapons?

lilty

If you've made it to Kiln, each trip through there will get you one chunk of each colour.

Just don't fight the boss until you're done with your playthrough.

TheSeks

Guess I should defeat the bosses and go there then. But: I thought the game ends as soon as you enter that area?

lilty

Guess I should defeat the bosses and go there then. But: I thought the game ends as soon as you enter that area?

No, you're free to go back and forth assuming you don't defeat the last boss. You don't even have to challenge him once you open the area.

2AdEPT

Exactly the opposite.....the master key and "wide open" possibilities are what the developers added to Dark after gettting feedback from Demon's players (many on this board) that this is what would improve their experience.....this should be experienced in the first virgin playthrough....you only get one virgin run and the thrill of taking the less travelled path (which is actually the intended path) hits with full effect.....doing it as an after thought in another playthrough is anticlimactic and "ho hum."

I'm back at Firelink anyway. I usually end my play session returning to Firelink.

Old Dungeons & Dragons habit... never rest in the dungeon. :D

You are literally a minute and a half from the bonfire in Blighttown if you ran straight there and skipped facing 7 small to medium enemies.....of course I won't instruct you how to do that....it will take you longer to search your own path and you will likely fight said enemies....alll part of your own choices that makes the game reward creativity. You can also save the first line of enemies you faced doing the depths route for later and bring the
slumbering dragoncrest ring ....which will allow you to stab those zombies in the back before they have a chance to attack by doing that stretch "backwards."

I "heard" there was a lot of shortcuts and paths my first playthrough and believe it or not I figured out a use for the
slumbering dragon crest ring on my own.
Having a whack of rings and using only two or three all game is not the "intended" path either so get creative!!!!!

2AdEPT

Getting this channeler's trident sucks ass.

Exactly...so don't suffer and just ask for one ....me or most players have extra....just tell me what SL you are and where you wnt to meet...takes 10 minutes total instead of possibly hours of futility.

PS3 adepterik2 - I'm not on right now, but others will be if it is urgent.

I believe I have a SL 80 mage that has two ...you would get the non-upgraded one ;)

TheSeks

You don't need to do that. Just got it. Symbol of Avarice may have helped. Dunno. Sucked ass all the same.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Is the Trident required for the all rare weapons achievement? I don't think I'm going to even try and bother with that one, as much as I love the game. That one and the miracles one seem pretty tough.

Miracles isn't too bad if you know where to farm a bit, which is pretty much the Painted World and Izalith shortcut. And yeah you do need the Trident for the achievement. Just get up to 410 item discovery and the drop shouldn't be too bad. The most annoying rare weapon for me was always the damn crossbow in the Dukes.

Miracles isn't too bad if you know where to farm a bit, which is pretty much the Painted World and Izalith shortcut. And yeah you do need the Trident for the achievement. Just get up to 410 item discovery and the drop shouldn't be too bad. The most annoying rare weapon for me was always the damn crossbow in the Dukes.

You don't need the crossbow though, I never got it and I still got the trophy.

TheSeks

I just clipped on some dungeon dressing and fell down a deep shaft to my death.

Thanks Blighttown.

Yeah, the clipping at times can be annoying when going down floors. :|

All spells gotten. Leaves drops and the soul of gwyn to offer for miracles and pyromancy.

Question:

Demon's Spear
Dragon Greatsword
Dragonking Greataxe
Drake Sword
Gargoyle Tail Axe
Moonlight Greatsword
Priscilla's Dagger

Are the only tail drops needed for the rare weapons trophy right?

Also defeated Seath. Where to go? Demon's ruins to finish the last boss of the area?

Damn, I didn't know that. For some reason I thought I saw the Wiki say the opposite, but fair enough. Probably a good thing because it's annoying as fuck to grab that weapon.
The Avelyn? If you turn the stairs the right way, walk up halfway then reload you will be on ledge on the correct side, so as long as you have decent health you can just drop on to the bookcase - fall control is a safety precaution, I did miss the bookcase once myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQvmgQdVys

Croc

Banned
Anyone have any tips for Smough and Ornstein? I'm a Sorcerer/Pyromancer and so far I can only get a couple of hits on either one of them before being killed.

TheSeks

Anyone have any tips for Smough and Ornstein? I'm a Sorcerer/Pyromancer and so far I can only get a couple of hits on either one of them before being killed.

Welcome to the worst boss fight in the game. Only thing I can tell you is pray they don't jump around (HAHAHA fat chance of this!) and get some summons to tank for you and pray they aren't idiots and will rush the boss area and pull aggro for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom