• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croc

Banned
I was going to go the summons route but I only have a couple of humanity left (mostly in the form of twin humanities) and I'm afraid of wasting it all. It looks like that might be the route I have to go though cause I've fought them about 7 times and I am still getting killed without getting a single hit on them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Go to the depths. So long as you have ten humanity (you don't need to be human) you can farm humanity drops off the rats there. Save 10 of those for next time and then use one of the ones in your stock to go human to fight them. Done.

Dresden

Anyone have any tips for Smough and Ornstein? I'm a Sorcerer/Pyromancer and so far I can only get a couple of hits on either one of them before being killed.

Uh, just keep your distance, bomb away? It should be easy for a sorceror. Smough is slow and everything Ornsten does can be blocked or rolled through.

Watch a video if need be. The biggest challenge to this fight is the mental block you might get from expecting it to be a tough fight. It really isn't.

Put down your own summon sign in the bonfire room and get some risk-free practice in, each win will net you 25,000(?) souls and 1 humanity, so you never need be out of humanity. Magic/pyro makes S&O a breeze since you can keep your distance a little, it helps to be able to roll fast too. Put on the dusk crown and dragon ring and blast away.

Try to separate them and only attack one of them, since you can only kill one before the next cutscene.

At the very least take Solaire with you - his summon sign is on the stairs same side as the archer.

The armour of whoever you take out last will be for sale back at Firelink, and same goes for the boss soul that drops - that is, different weapons can be forged - so have a think which you want, if any - and kill them second.

Once you've done it, most people agree this is one of the best boss fights in the game.

Dresden

Is it bad that I've never soloed OS before? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I think soloing it the first time (mainly because of how shitty online was upon release/being on 360) really enhanced the experience. I almost killed them my first try, too. I was so elated.

Then I got my face ground in about thirteen times before I did it at last. Best feeling. DARK SOULS.

Tdog987

I'm ok with being invaded and all, but not by the same person twice in row...without a death inbetween.

Went into the Cata, found a summon sign, summoned the person...got invaded, we kill him, we keep moving through, same person invaded again, I die.

WTF!!!!!?????

TheSeks

I'm ok with being invaded and all, but not by the same person twice in row...without a death inbetween.

Went into the Cata, found a summon sign, summoned the person...got invaded, we kill him, we keep moving through, same person invaded again, I die.

WTF!!!!!?????

You were the only human alive at his level or above in the catacombs, that's why. The invasion system matchmakes on a random person at their soul level (or 10 levels below) or infinitely above.

It sucks, yeah.

Beat the Bed of Chaos. A pretty fun fight minus the last bit where you have to jump onto a root while it's attacking you.

Leaves Nito and... I think there's no other bosses(?) to open the last area. I'll do Nito later this week, I guess...

Got all the Pyromancies. Leaves Miracles and weapons for the platinum.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I hope the extra level and the bosses + equipment and weapons in the PC version are also coming out on consoles as a DLC.

Iron Golem went down fast with Heavy Great Soul Arrows. Thank God, something in Sen's Fortress was easy.

The view of Anor Londo is amazing!

Guise? Are the giant knights in Anor Londo friend or foe? The first one seemed to ignore me, then two inside started coming towards me. I was all, "It's cool, it's cool! We're bros." They seemed to want to hurry me on my way, so I ran ahead of them to a platform that descended. At the bottom, I looked out across a bridge that seemed to be occupied by a demon.

I used a Homeward Bone.

Sajjaja

Iron Golem went down fast with Heavy Great Soul Arrows. Thank God, something in Sen's Fortress was easy.

Guise? Are the giant knights in Anor Londo friend or foe? The first one seemed to ignore me, then two inside started coming towards me. I was all, "It's cool, it's cool! We're bros." They seemed to want to hurry me on my way, so I ran ahead of them to a platform that descended. At the bottom, I looked out across a bridge that seemed to be occupied by a demon.

I used a Homeward Bone.
All are hostile. Just need to get close enough.

Dresden

Welcome to the worst boss fight in the game. Only thing I can tell you is pray they don't jump around (HAHAHA fat chance of this!) and get some summons to tank for you and pray they aren't idiots and will rush the boss area and pull aggro for you.

Beat the Bed of Chaos. A pretty fun fight minus the last bit where you have to jump onto a root while it's attacking you.

You really liked Bed of Chaos more than S&O? o_O

i-Lo

Regarding Humanity level: I have read that it increases all defences and chance of item discovery. My question is, to make it effective, whether it needs to be either:

1. Equipped?

And/Or

2. Be used to increase the number of the counter that shows "loose" humanity?

Thanks in advance.

Sajjaja

Regarding Humanity level: I have read that it increases all defences and chance of item discovery. My question is, to make it effective, whether it needs to be either:

1. Equipped?

And/Or

2. Be used to increase the number of the counter that shows "loose" humanity?

Thanks in advance.

Gotta be loose humanity that's in the counter on your screen. Risk vs. Reward I guess.

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.thumbnail-mcs.png

So I'm proud to say that I got the platinum trophy for this game, and I still liked Demon's Souls more eventough I didnt/couldnt get the platinum for it. :p

I used a Homeward Bone.
There is a bonfire so very close!

That view when you arrive at Anor Londo is one of the wow moments in the game, I still like to stand there a second and take it all in, the dusk-hue is very clever. It seems like mid-day at Sen's, the sun is burning bright, then you arrive at that amazing view down in to Anor, you just got a ton of souls from the boss, Sen's was a minefield of traps - and you have no idea what lies at the bottom of those steps! Genius design.

TheSeks

Yes, getting to the other side of the boss to attack the one point and then having to dodge his attacks to get to his "heart" while the whole floor is crumbling >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> two ai bum rushing your ass in two seconds, you trying to cast spells and them breaking lock-on (which is needed for spells) or attempting to tank their attacks.

zewone

Bed of Chaos was a pretty cool concept, but it's not even really a boss. More like an "event". It gets really tired after helping people out through it, and it's not very fun falling into the hole at the end since this isn't a platform game and wasn't designed to be.

TheSeks

It's still a better "event" than S&O. Orinstien (or whichever the dogfaced one is) is a cool concept, art-wise, but battle-wise it's an annoying fight for people that rely on spells and don't have the HP to tank their attacks. Add in that lock-on bugs out with two very aggressive boss AI's and it becomes one of the worst boss fights in the game, easily.

Even the Maneaters in Demon's Souls wasn't that bad because while they were aggressive they didn't fuck the lock-on over to the point where you could at least keep a bead on one and take them both out slowly while panicking.

Kite them around the stage and use the pillars as cover. Smough is easy to dodge as long as you pay attention and Ornstein can be effectively blocked by keeping a pillar between you and him.

They were hard, sure, but it was an amazing, hilariously chaotic fight (it's especially fantastic when you have a bunch of people in the room shouting and providing color commentary) but I can't understand everyone crying about how impossible they were, especially when compared to the frustrating, arbitrary bullshit that was Bed of Chaos, the total letdown of Gravelord Nito, or the mind-numbing DPS race of the Four Kings.

Facism

Is it bad that I've never soloed OS before? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I soloed them and it was amazing. Really got to be on your toes. I went in as a battlemage and had to dump a lot of my armour to dodge and move quickly enough to be able to use magic. Was a lot of fun.

Not nearly as my bow-only playthrough when i got to Flamelurker in Demon's Souls, though. That was brilliant.

zewone

It's still a better "event" than S&O. Orinstien (or whichever the dogfaced one is) is a cool concept, art-wise, but battle-wise it's an annoying fight for people that rely on spells and don't have the HP to tank their attacks. Add in that lock-on bugs out with two very aggressive boss AI's and it becomes one of the worst boss fights in the game, easily.

Even the Maneaters in Demon's Souls wasn't that bad because while they were aggressive they didn't fuck the lock-on over to the point where you could at least keep a bead on one and take them both out slowly while panicking.

I've played through the games around four times now, with melee & magic builds. I only had a problem the first couple of times when I was new to the game. Ornstien is very easy to dodge. In fact, they both are. Smough does hit hard if you mess up the timing. The reason people are able to beat these games at SL1 and SL2 is because dodging is a much better solution, rather than "tanking".

If you were trying to beat S&O by yourself, I'm sure that's a pain in the ass. I've done it, but only with over powered characters after I had learned all of their patterns.

Jhoan

The Bed of Chaos was a surprisingly easy boss fight even though it took me 3 runs to take it down. It hits hard, but it wasn't so bad. When I destroyed the 2 parts on either side, I simply flipped down the middle to reach the platform and it was simple. The Daughter of Chaos gave me a run for my money on the other hand. The Demon Firesage was basically a fire Stray Demon which was boring.

Nito was disappointingly easy too despite having a few strong attacks. I hated the Tomb of the Giants otherwise.

Seath was pretty easy for the most part save for his tail smash attack if vying for cutting off his tail. His curse breath was easy to eat up with a Cursebite Ring equipped and anti-curse armor. I really liked The Dukes Archives and getting thrown into a prison only to come back for revenge later.

Four Kings was a brute force yawn fest. Drained New Londo was nice though.

Ornstein and Smough take the cake for being the game's most memorable boss (besides Sif). I always get summoned to help people take them out. I already have them down to a T from having fought them so much. My rule is to wait to see which one the host attacks first, then help take that one out. After one of the them falls, I help dish out damage sparingly, but once the boss is down to 1/4 of the health, I hang back and watch the host deal the killing blows.

Hopefully Artorias of the Abyss has better bosses that are good as opposed to being weak and requiring some good strategy.

I'm still trying to find that sweet spot for PvP in this.

A lot of people I come across, as invader or invadee, seem to outmatch me in everything, there doesn't seem to be a chink in their armour - I don't mean equipment per se, but it seems they have more health than me, can run just as fast, use stronger armour. When I put points into levelling, I have to make a sacrifice - want high INT? Sacrifice health or stamina (equipment load), use flippy ring, sacrifice something else. I seem to run into a lot of people who can take an absolute battering, but 2-hit kill me - can't find a way to compete with a lot of people.

Actually I think the key is often just put everything into health and stamina, wear big ass armour and FAP ring, so even if you smash them 5 or 6 times it doesn't matter, they tank it. I do find big tank characters boring though, so I'm always hesitant to go that route.

TheSeks

I've played through the games around four times now, with melee & magic builds. I only had a problem the first couple of times when I was new to the game. Ornstien is very easy to dodge. In fact, they both are. Smough does hit hard if you mess up the timing. The reason people are able to beat these games at SL1 and SL2 is because dodging is a much better solution, rather than "tanking".

Except the game up to that point is "tank"-able. Hell, Demon's Souls drills tanking into your head as well. Why they suddenly changed that up (and good luck dodging both of their asses when you're twirling the camera around to try to make sure you keep both in view only for one to get out of view and you're then fucked from both ways...), I'll never know.

If you were trying to beat S&O by yourself, I'm sure that's a pain in the ass. I've done it, but only with over powered characters after I had learned all of their patterns.

And this is why they're the worst boss fight in the game. You're practically REQUIRED to summon two people to tank their asses/pull aggro off you so you can breathe and take a moment to get onto them.

Sif is the best boss fight in the game only because of his art-design and his limping after being damaged. Any other fight (with the exception of S&O which is TERRIBLE) is okay to bad.

haven't been to Nito yet. Been in the Tomb of Giants but only to save Reah...

And this is why they're the worst boss fight in the game. You're practically REQUIRED to summon two people to tank their asses/pull aggro off you so you can breathe and take a moment to get onto them.
IMO, the reason why the developers put in NPC summons is so offline players aren't at a disadvantage - this tells me From wants you to co-op, especially bosses.

TheSeks

IMO, the reason why the developers put in NPC summons is so offline players aren't at a disadvantage - this tells me From wants you to co-op, especially bosses.

Except there's only one NPC summon there. And NPC summons don't pull aggro, so...?

Dresden

Uh, Solaire will occupy one of them for a good period of time. I did it solo with a character I had no clue what I was doing with first time around. It's not a cheap or an uber-hard fight. Just know what you're doing.

Soulhouf

I soloed S&O SL1 and SL2. At that point I was well prepared and I knew their pattern very well, which is a proof that that boss is exceptionally well designed. It kicks your ass first time but once you practice, they become a piece of cake.
BTW I never played a caster type of character. Melee for da life.

My favorite boss of the game is unquestionably 4 Kings followed by Iron Golem and S&O.

Facism

I was sl 40 when i hit S&O and soloed them as a magic user. Took me 2 attempts. You need to be fast, you need to be intelligent about how and when you attack and you sure as hell have to use the pillars. If they're too far away for a lock-on with your spells, you need to start the spell up and get the lock on before it fires.

Sullichin

I soloed S&O SL1 and SL2. At that point I was well prepared and I knew their pattern very well, which is a proof that that boss is exceptionally well designed. It kicks your ass first time but once you practice, they become a piece of cake.
BTW I never played a caster type of character. Melee for da life.

My favorite boss of the game is unquestionably 4 Kings followed by Iron Golem and S&O.

I started a SL2 cleric run because of you and i was doing fine up until Ornstein and Smough. In addition to SL2, I'm also not allowing myself to use pyromancy, elemental weapon upgrades, or the DWGR. Killing them solo at SL2 with a +10 reinforced club definitely brings the challenge back to the fight, jeeez. Perhaps I will allow myself to summon Solaire. I'm sure I'll just be ripping my hair out fighting the 4 Kings under these conditions.

And yeah melee is where it's at in this game and Demon's Souls. In Demon's magic is way too strong. It's a little overpowered in this game too. But spell casting controls are way clunkier than the really excellent melee combat.

I've been having so much fun invading in Lost Izalith with my deprived/red tearstone character that I made another guy to invade there. Just enough DEX for BSS (lightning) and long bow (don't know how I should I upgrade this, I never use bows. Tips? Remember I only have 14 DEX) with poison arrows. Parrying dagger or scimitar in my left hand since I want to get better at parrying in PVP - I am terrible at this, and lag doesn't help. Wanderer default armor, cause it looks cool, and enough INT for chameleon. I never used chameleon in PVP before and thought it would be cool for invasions considering you turn into one of the statues in LI and when you invade there you often spend a bit of time looking for the host. Tried it a bit in Anor Londo and it didn't usually come into play. It's fun though. Guess I'll throw on the red tearstone ring in my second ring slot. Love that ring in PVE and PVP.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Bed of Chaos was the absolute worst boss fight in the Souls series. No skill needed, cheap when it can knock you into holes with no way of defending, and just utterly terrible boss which was supposed to represent the Witch of Izalith. Who should have been a amazing character and battle. Izalith in particular looked half finished and half baked overall anyway.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sorry, but whoever said Snorlax & Pikachu is an unfun boss compared to the junk event known as Bed of Chaos is just wrong. Yep, opinions don't apply here. You're doing it wrong.

Try again.

zewone

Bed of Chaos was the absolute worst boss fight in the Souls series. No skill needed, cheap when it can knock you into holes with no way of defending, and just utterly terrible boss which was supposed to represent the Witch of Izalith. Who should have been a amazing character and battle. Izalith in particular looked half finished and half baked overall anyway.

Definitely. When I first read about the shortcut everyone kept talking about, I thought I needed to get it.

I actually find it easier just to take the boring, bright jog through the lava than past the demon.

Dresden

Bed of Chaos kinda reminds me of what the Dragon God would've been like if the floor randomly fell out from under you and there was no way to dodge him smacking you into them and at the end you had to make a misaligned jump across an unseen gap just to land on a small ramp to reach him for the final blow.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Definitely. When I first read about the shortcut everyone kept talking about, I thought I needed to get it.

I actually find it easier just to take the boring, bright jog through the lava than past the demon.

Same, I always use the second bonfire when I'm fighting BoC, because going past the Prowling Demon isn't as guaranteed as the other way, plus you risk losing health or life. But simply running past all enemies the normal way is super easy and zero risk.

But I always make a point to carry no large amount of Souls or Humanity into this boss fight, due to how cheap and sudden the deaths can be.

Except the game up to that point is "tank"-able. Hell, Demon's Souls drills tanking into your head as well. Why they suddenly changed that up (and good luck dodging both of their asses when you're twirling the camera around to try to make sure you keep both in view only for one to get out of view and you're then fucked from both ways...), I'll never know.

So you're saying I've been learning good habits playing a Sorcerer that relies on light armor at under 1/4 load so I can stay nimble?

That's just common sense in Souls games. And Demon's Souls was far more focused on dodging and rolling as well...
Cool. I kinda figured. I've leveled my physical stats some, but mostly dumped points into Intelligence for my Sorcery. Now that I discovered smithing Magic weapons, I'm really doing well.

By the way, I only have Xbox 360, and I've intended to get PS3 (and Wii) at some point... being able to play Demon Souls has made a PS3 a priority. :D

Wowbagger

I've been having so much fun invading in Lost Izalith with my deprived/red tearstone character that I made another guy to invade there. Just enough DEX for BSS (lightning) and long bow (don't know how I should I upgrade this, I never use bows. Tips? Remember I only have 14 DEX) with poison arrows.

Short, composite and Darkmoon bows fire noticeably faster than long/Pharis and are thus better choices for PVP unless you just plan on sniping.

Bed of Chaos kinda reminds me of what the Dragon God would've been like if the floor randomly fell out from under you and there was no way to dodge him smacking you into them and at the end you had to make a misaligned jump across an unseen gap just to land on a small ramp to reach him for the final blow.

You don't actually have to jump. It's far safer to just run off the edge. Look for the protruding tiles on the right side that look something like ".. ::" and step off the ".."

The worst part about Bed of Chaos is that damn fire attack with huge AOE that it loves to hit you with while you're cutting your way to the bug at the center. It's pure luck whether you can get out of its range or not in time and the damn thing can one-shot you in later rounds. I fought BOC in NG+3 today and my character with 1500 HP and over 300 fire defense got one-shotted by that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom