• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPee

I'm going to be doing GTX690 SLI

isD8i1h2d4BqF.gif

Roche

I got invaded by a guy who had modded his character to have 65k health the other day, his name was "Fluttershy Mods" killed me twice in the forest. Third time he invaded me I ran down to the waterfall with the really large fall, I figured that'd be the only way to kill him. After much dancing about to get him into position I managed to kick him into the waterfall killing him instantly.

Naturally I sent him a message telling him he sucks and he shouldn't mod, he replied with this:
ibusSleIMNIXVF.PNG

Don't be fooled by the "free kill" bit he was very much trying to kill me, I replied telling him that he is the pathetic one considering he needs to mod his game in order to validate himself to which he just replied "Fucking noob".

Putting a modder in his place feels pretty good.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I got invaded by a guy who had modded his character to have 65k health the other day, his name was "Fluttershy Mods" killed me twice in the forest. Third time he invaded me I ran down to the waterfall with the really large fall, I figured that'd be the only way to kill him. After much dancing about to get him into position I managed to kick him into the waterfall killing him instantly.

Naturally I sent him a message telling him he sucks and he shouldn't mod, he replied with this:
ibusSleIMNIXVF.PNG

Don't be fooled by the "free kill" bit he was very much trying to kill me, I replied telling him that he is the pathetic one considering he needs to mod his game in order to validate himself to which he just replied "Fucking noob".

LOL that would have been hilarious to see. ::kick::

I didn't even know you could mod, is this like a custom firmware thing?

Don't even see the point, other than a guaranteed win (well, almost! *kick*), and even then it's a totally hollow (pun intended!) win because you didn't use your guile and skill to achieve it.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
EDIT: Is there EVER a time where Raw is a good upgrade path?

I'm waiting for the console dlc to really explore some raw builds . The dlc is needed because I want to see how the new armor affects the characters. I have a few ideals in my head but I refuse to test them out until the the dlc comes out.

Mxrz

Don't even see the point, other than a guaranteed win (well, almost! *kick*), and even then it's a totally hollow (pun intended!) win because you didn't use your guile and skill to achieve it.

Live has a lot of modders/cheaters of this sort it seems. Not limited to just Dark Souls. Its one of the many reasons I dislike live.

If I invade and find myself in a crappy situation, I'll run. If I can get a 2v1 to give chase, then I have a shot of getting the odds back in my favor.

Dresden

Think they just edit the savefile.

Crystal Caves suuuuuuuuuuuck.

Of the "objectionable" areas I find the Crystal Caves to be the most manageable and actually least sucky. Maybe if every invisible path is like the one to get the Blue Titanite Slab, but the invisible paths you need are basically straight lines and you really don't have to fight anything while you're in there either.

I'm much more irritated by the Catacombs/Tomb of Giants. I just hate dealing with all the skeletons.

Feindflug

Live has a lot of modders/cheaters of this sort it seems. Not limited to just Dark Souls. Its one of the many reasons I dislike live.

If I invade and find myself in a crappy situation, I'll run. If I can get a 2v1 to give chase, then I have a shot of getting the odds back in my favor.

A lot of modders? you're clearly overreacting, I've seen maybe 4 or 5 suspicious opponents so I'd say that with all those glitches and save editing BS the 360 DS community is still very good.

Not sure what games you have in mind but besides MW2 (that I heard stories about modders/cheaters) I didn't have any problem with any other game I've played.

Truth is though that they should release a patch to at least fix the buff glitches along with the DLC...also Roche should file complaint this idiot.

XBL right, I actually forget DS is multi-platform.

Got to love people that invade and then do nothing but run away. Happens so much in anor londo.
I've seen this too, I do a lot of PvP in Anor Londo, and I think maybe they think you're wanting to get to where they are going, and they're going to wait for you? Sometimes in Dark Anor, I get people taking the moving stairs down to Gwyndolin and just waiting there!

Zaventem

ibusSleIMNIXVF.PNG

Report people like this an avoid them.God i hate modders.

Hey Guys, is it possible to
invade lautrec
AFTER the ornstein fight? i was unable to do so the first time round as i was human with a friendly phantom helping me

Robot Pants

Hey Guys, is it possible to
invade lautrec
AFTER the ornstein fight? i was unable to do so the first time round as i was human with a friendly phantom helping me

yep. I think you just have to warp out of the area, then come back so it resets. Also make sure you have the black eye stone in your inventory, or quick select whatever you call it.

Mxrz

That's a long ass walk! Princess's Chambers maybe?

I've been trying to Gravelord at the 1st Fog gate in undead burg (with it up) off and on for a couple weeks. No invasions yet. Suspect I'm not doing it right or something.

Silver Knight straight sword is such a beast. So much damage on a fast dex weapon and I can imbue it with magic? Flawless.

Also I have a Balder side sword at +10 but I'm not sure what to do with it. Should I go lightning or fire? Should I enchant it? Maybe take it + 15? I really like it's move set and the piercing heavy attack can catch people off guard, so I want to further it but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Silver Knight straight sword is such a beast. So much damage on a fast dex weapon and I can imbue it with magic? Flawless.

Also I have a Balder side sword at +10 but I'm not sure what to do with it. Should I go lightning or fire? Should I enchant it? Maybe take it + 15? I really like it's move set and the piercing heavy attack can catch people off guard, so I want to further it but I'm not sure what to do with it.

+15, no question about it, especially with the A scaling. Elemental path is only useful for low stat builds.

I have a +15 BSS on my dex/faith build and that thing is beastly. The dps is ridiculous with darkmoon blade.

+15, no question about it, especially with the A scaling. Elemental path is only useful for low stat builds.

I have a +15 BSS on my dex/faith build and that thing is beastly. The dps is ridiculous with darkmoon blade.
My Sorcerer has Intelligence in the 50s... it's a good idea for me to keep upgrading my Magic weapon, right?

krakov

That's a long ass walk! Princess's Chambers maybe?

I've been trying to Gravelord at the 1st Fog gate in undead burg (with it up) off and on for a couple weeks. No invasions yet. Suspect I'm not doing it right or something.

What level are you? When gravelording burg you usually get at few darkwraiths at least.

Mort

Banned
Of the "objectionable" areas I find the Crystal Caves to be the most manageable and actually least sucky. Maybe if every invisible path is like the one to get the Blue Titanite Slab, but the invisible paths you need are basically straight lines and you really don't have to fight anything while you're in there either.

I'm much more irritated by the Catacombs/Tomb of Giants. I just hate dealing with all the skeletons.

What bugs me about the Crystal Caves is that it's one of the prettiest zones in the game, but its so under utilized. I would really have preferred if it was a full zone like Undeadburg or Anor Londo rather than just a short place to house the Seath boss fight.

I think the Catacombs are great. Tomb of the giants sucks.

2AdEPT

I realize I am sort of out of thread topic here mentioning the new PC stuff....but thanks....I have been to the pc build thread many times but maybe will post there in order to ask ofr help....I don't reallywant to assemble myself though....NCIX canada is literally a few miles from my house.

Is it wrong to want all this set up for the prepare to die release despite that it may not even require or show off high specs? I am sure i will get other games as a result....but have to admit P2D is sadly the only reason I am doing this now!!!

One problem I will have is the display.....7 people in 5 bedroom house...hence laptops were the previous options ......no where for a workstation......is it insane to consider hooking something like this up to my 1080p 46" tv? we have 3 tv's at least althought th ebest PVR is on this one.

Argh...I want my P2D experience to be special!!!!I could not stand to have to fight with my wife in order to pull her away from Fairyland in order to get my old crappy laptop back...but I did get through witcher 2 with it sitting onthe couch with headphones on so mayhave to go that route if I can't figure something out.........

@ jackben:

thanks for the spoilers.....I am sstarting to see I may only need to spend $1500 for my levelof wanting to kick ass......btw the game my wife is into is 'Fairyland'..... I am into grimfaced death while she floats around on a magic carpet because "it means [she]will wear [her] shoes out less."

ArynCrinn

Banned
I realize I am sort of out of thread topic here mentioning the new PC stuff....but thanks....I have been to the pc build thread many times but maybe will post there in order to ask ofr help....I don't reallywant to assemble myself though....NCIX canada is literally a few miles from my house.

Is it wrong to want all this set up for the prepare to die release despite that it may not even require or show off high specs? I am sure i will get other games as a result....but have to admit P2D is sadly the only reason I am doing this now!!!

One problem I will have is the display.....7 people in 5 bedroom house...hence laptops were the previous options ......no where for a workstation......is it insane to consider hooking something like this up to my 1080p 46" tv? we have 3 tv's at least althought th ebest PVR is on this one.

Argh...I want my P2D experience to be special!!!!I could not stand to have to fight with my wife in order to pull her away from Fairyland in order to get my old crappy laptop back...but I did get through witcher 2 with it sitting onthe couch with headphones on so mayhave to go that route if I can't figure something out.........

Sure, you can hook up a desktop PC to a HDTV through HDMI, I used to do it all the time. I still hook up my rig/s on occasion to the 55" in the living room.

I'd say, even though this is way off topic, for purely the P2D Edition and almost anything else on high settings, my specs for you would be:

CPU: Core i5 2500k 3.30Ghz (stock cooler is fine)
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
Ram: 6-8GB DDR3
Power Supply: Decent 600 watt
Mobo: Any decent Intel or Asus mobo with a 2500k socket will be fine for you.
Fans: Get a couple 90-120CFM fans for the back, and a 50-70CFM fan for a side intake.
Case: Any Thermaltake is a good choice, just be sure it's got enough room, mid tower should do nicely.

Other than that, it's your preference on mice, keyboards, speakers/phones, controller's, but be sure to get a decent monitor if you get one, no obscure manufacturers with cheap prices.

2AdEPT

Sure, you can hook up a desktop PC to a HDTV through HDMI, I used to do it all the time. I still hook up my rig/s on occasion to the 55" in the living room.

thanks...I notice you have tech savvy from the pc thread.....so its nice to know that if I am forced to to do this I am not a total derp! ;) we have 2 MLS soccer wanna be's kids filling up my old office (man cave) and the backroom.....the the team pays $750 each per month (plus season tix to the MLS games) hence i can afford a good rig...just not space!!!!! Although my Dark Souls time got cut in half also as friggin FIFa 12 is going 24/7 on the PS3 whenever they are not on a trip.

can i just say...

fuck curse.

that is all.
Carry a few purging stones and all your troubles are gone?

Again, I have to say I've never been cursed, ever, in all my playthroughs. How do you get in a situation where the meter builds fast enough to get cursed? I've been in the Depths and had 4 frogs coughing up on me and it still never got more than 50-60%. Is this a heavy armour thing? I never use heavy armour.

Carry a few purging stones and all your troubles are gone?

Again, I have to say I've never been cursed, ever, in all my playthroughs. How do you get in a situation where the meter builds fast enough to get cursed? I've been in the Depths and had 4 frogs coughing up on me and it still never got more than 50-60%. Is this a heavy armour thing? I never use heavy armour.
No humanity.

Get the moonlight greatsword. Magic upgrades are pretty useless.
Evidently I missed my chance to get it. How am I supposed to intuit attacking Seath's tail by myself?

I guess I'll have to make due with my Magic Estoc.

Mxrz

What level are you? When gravelording burg you usually get at few darkwraiths at least.

Doing it on a sl-8. I'm also trying to trap them behind the fog gate. So its not the usual square outside the bonfire. Originally I wanted to see if it worked, now its mostly stubbornness.

You walk out of bonfire. Use an Eye of Death, then dash down past the merchant, up the stairs onto the roof, and then jump down to the ledge. In this area, the invader spawn point is on the steps coming into the burg and with the fog gate up, they'll be stuck. While you can stand on the ledge and emote & throw dung at them. It is a trivial thing, sure, but what isn't at this point? I'm thinking either people just don't see the Gravelord sign up on the ledge, or they just don't care enough to go after it.

Dresden

No humanity.

Evidently I missed my chance to get it. How am I supposed to intuit attacking Seath's tail by myself?

The Moonlight Horn is a good weapon too, made with the butterfly's soul.

Otherwise, a Enchanted weapon will serve. You don't want to go Magic with such a high int.

ArynCrinn

Banned
No humanity.

The general rule to cut the tail by yourself is to first lure Seath toward the crystal to destroy it, when he's stunned run around him and begin whacking his tail. Then just keep baiting him into doing his curse breath, when he does it just run around and keep slashing the tail until it comes off.

A great weapon to do this with is the Quelaag Furysword, upgraded all the way to max, don't worry about humanity for this though. But the running slash works really well for hitting the tail and normal two-handed swings give the tail good damage and doesn't waste much stamina.

The Moonlight Horn is a good weapon too, made with the butterfly's soul.

Otherwise, a Enchanted weapon will serve. You don't want to go Magic with such a high int.
What's the difference between Magic and Enchanted?

The general rule to cut the tail by yourself is to first lure Seath toward the crystal to destroy it, when he's stunned run around him and begin whacking his tail. Then just keep baiting him into doing his curse breath, when he does it just run around and keep slashing the tail until it comes off.

A great weapon to do this with is the Quelaag Furysword, upgraded all the way to max, don't worry about humanity for this though. But the running slash works really well for hitting the tail and normal two-handed swings give the tail good damage and doesn't waste much stamina.
Too late. :D

Whats the best Light Armour set up?

I have an int build with 30int / 20 dex at the moment, essentially treating like a battlemage...spamming magic where i can get away with it, the overall goal is to upgrade a magic iaito.

But i dont know where i should be focusing my attention when i comes to armours and shields.....is the silver shield worth farming...I see alot of youtube vids of it
Im currently rocking a crest shield with shadow/crimson...but definitely need to upgrade an armour of some sort...dont know which one..

2AdEPT

Whats the best Light Armour set up?

I have an int build with 30int / 20 dex at the moment, essentially treating like a battlemage...spamming magic where i can get away with it, the overall goal is to upgrade a magic iaito.

But i dont know where i should be focusing my attention when i comes to armours and shields.....is the silver shield worth farming...I see alot of youtube vids of it
Im currently rocking a crest shield with shadow/crimson...but definitely need to upgrade an armour of some sort...dont know which one..

shadow looks cool but has crappy stats.....doesn't get much better than crimson for general damage protect though.......the antiquated leggins by far arebest light armourfor the lower half as their magic protect is throughtheroofand the fire and lightning is average......mix and match for the best stats depending on what you are doing.....IIRC crimson/ tattered have thebest steel protect, gold hemmed has ridiculously high poisonand fire protect, and dingyI beleive hasbest lightning.......most of these hgavedecent to good curse protect where heavier armours do not....it is easier tio learn this stuff by doing a no upgrade SL 1 run and being limited to light armour early on....you get a feel for what is best in each situation.

the most important stat for shields in stability...upgrade that shhtuff......grass crest on back for stamina buff is default, but if you need a good blocker theeagle shield is the best for stability without being too heavy. You can get good stability early on withteh hollow or black knight if it drops.....the knightshiled fromnear the parish also has high stability for a parrying shield, but isn't that much better than the grass so upgrade the grassis my opinion.. The wooden shield is best for lightning and still gives decent stability for early levels.

Zaventem

Man I've played this game long enough the armor i wear doesn't even matter.I fucking love Catarnia set, it's like it's so weird looking.Want to make a pure stone knight build but i'm afraid i'll come off as an ass because TwoP effect on the sword.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Man I've played this game long enough the armor i wear doesn't even matter.I fucking love Catarnia set, it's like it's so weird looking.Want to make a pure stone knight build but i'm afraid i'll come off as an ass because TwoP effect on the sword.

Same here, but I like rocking Ornstein's pieces with a couple lighter armor pieces for better resistances depending where I am. But overall, I could play the game naked at this point, at least on first playthrough.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hello again Dark Souls GAF - can't wait to join you again come PC release.
Hello! Looking forward to joining you too. With the alleged "matchmaking" on PC, will that make it easy for players cross-region to play each other? It seems weird with my PAL copy playing in Japan, as it probably prioritises EU players, but I naturally get a lot of JPN players even on my UK PSN account, thanks to the server picks/time zone/etc...

On a separate note, I had my first "real" PvP experience last night, when I finally decided to try turning Anor Londo 'Dark' (I guess most of you in here are familiar with this).

I made my way back through to the first AL bonfire, admiring the new gloomy scenery, killing those two NPCs who are seemingly upset at what's happened. Then was surprised to find a bunch of summon signs... would these appear even if I'd killed
Dark Sun Gyndolin
?

Anyway, I summoned a couple of guys, wondering what the heck there was to do, and we joked around, practicing parries and whatnot for a bit before a Darkwraith invades.

I thought, well 3-on-1 is a stupid idea, so I slowly approached with my two buddies behind me. The invader bowed, and we three did the same, then one of my guys stepped forward. I pointed towards the Darkwraith - "Go" - and the first match was on!

Like I say, many of you are probably familiar with this setup, but it was so thrilling to see for the first time! Everyone was just 'in sync' with one another, we all knew what needed to be done. Once my first summon fell, the invader healed up and I signalled for my second pal to take his place...

The idea of invaders battling their way to the host is really very cool. I've never seen it implemented in such a way before, and it adds yet another level of gameplay to what is already a very deep and rich online experience.

Lothars

I finally picked it up but I am tempted to wait till the dlc release to start, I got this for such a good deal that I had to buy it though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Something tells me some expertise from the full game may be required before diving into the DLC. I think it's somehow 'connected' within the original game, so it would feel like just another part of the world when you first encounter it, but still I would recommend at least getting started and playing around with a few character paths/weapon types for now. Good luck and if you get stuck, persevere (if that doesn't work then ask in here)... I'm a poet and I don't know it.

DLC or no, hope you enjoy it!

2AdEPT

Hello again Dark Souls GAF - can't wait to join you again come PC release.

likewise! MOst Dark enthusiasts prob don't recognize you as a founding father of some of the cool Demon's builds when souls was just starting....although IIRC your faith builds were your favourites I'll never forget my Demon Mage chick ....how fun was it to tank the great sword in pvp but still be able to dance around (with soul arrows firing) and unleash it overhead and not have the poor bastard realize what hit him/her.....lots of good memories of early demon's in 2009 but I didn't get posting privilages until a year and half later so despite you not recognizing me likley.....a belated thanks all the same....you and several other original demon's thread posters helped shape my souls experience early onso that now it is by far the most I have ever got into any video game period!

Can't wait to get my new rig going in time for the release!

prettty much settled on the ASUS GTX 680 TOP (NCIX Canada will throw in a power supply this week for cheap as well as NVIDIA is giving Batman AC coupon.)

Still undecided on a lot ofother stuff though ...should I try to get other ASUS stuff like a motherboard from the same company? I realize mix and match is fine, but thought it might be cool to have a clear panel on the side of the tower and have a more aesthetically consistent engine under the hood?

Also. I haveenough cash to get 2 SSD's but is this really necessary? Figuring one will be enough.

What sayyou @IC?

Zaventem

The idea of invaders battling their way to the host is really very cool. I've never seen it implemented in such a way before, and it adds yet another level of gameplay to what is already a very deep and rich online experience.

Yeah it's cool but it's a different experience when it isn't 1 on 1 but 3 vs 1 constantly.

I finally picked it up but I am tempted to wait till the dlc release to start, I got this for such a good deal that I had to buy it though.

You won't be able to access the DLC until you cleared anor londo just so know, so i think you should give it a go now.

Hello! Looking forward to joining you too. With the alleged "matchmaking" on PC, will that make it easy for players cross-region to play each other? It seems weird with my PAL copy playing in Japan, as it probably prioritises EU players, but I naturally get a lot of JPN players even on my UK PSN account, thanks to the server picks/time zone/etc...

On a separate note, I had my first "real" PvP experience last night, when I finally decided to try turning Anor Londo 'Dark' (I guess most of you in here are familiar with this).

I made my way back through to the first AL bonfire, admiring the new gloomy scenery, killing those two NPCs who are seemingly upset at what's happened. Then was surprised to find a bunch of summon signs... would these appear even if I'd killed
Dark Sun Gyndolin
?

Anyway, I summoned a couple of guys, wondering what the heck there was to do, and we joked around, practicing parries and whatnot for a bit before a Darkwraith invades.

I thought, well 3-on-1 is a stupid idea, so I slowly approached with my two buddies behind me. The invader bowed, and we three did the same, then one of my guys stepped forward. I pointed towards the Darkwraith - "Go" - and the first match was on!

Like I say, many of you are probably familiar with this setup, but it was so thrilling to see for the first time! Everyone was just 'in sync' with one another, we all knew what needed to be done. Once my first summon fell, the invader healed up and I signalled for my second pal to take his place...

Sounds like fun. I've never seen such a thing myself, invading in Anor Londo is usually met by a ganking committee - straight up 3 on 1, and being invaded (in Dark especially) usually means two blue phantoms coming at you together. After hundreds of invasions in Anor Londo, I've never seen anyone go 1-on-1 unless there were only two players there!

Not that I'm complaining, it's fun winning when the odds are against you. There's no way of knowing what imaginery rules anyone is playing by, if any. It might be fun if there was a visual cue of some sort when invaders arrive telling other plays "Honourable fighter" or "No rules, fight to the death" or something like that (which could still be used deceptively just like the message system).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom