• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like fun. I've never seen such a thing myself, invading in Anor Londo is usually met by a ganking committee - straight up 3 on 1, and being invaded (in Dark especially) usually means two blue phantoms coming at you together. After hundreds of invasions in Anor Londo, I've never seen anyone go 1-on-1 unless there were only two players there!

Not that I'm complaining, it's fun winning when the odds are against you. There's no way of knowing what imaginery rules anyone is playing by, if any. It might be fun if there was a visual cue of some sort when invaders arrive telling other plays "Honourable fighter" or "No rules, fight to the death" or something like that (which could still be used deceptively just like the message system).
It was fun! However, when your phantoms have other agendas, attempting to organise them solely through the use of gestures is not recommended ;)

I've seen Youtube videos of regular PvPers in the Burg (in that open area where you first see the dragon); they'll touch a Red Soapstone sign, and while waiting for their dueling partner, battle with a random invader. If the guy arrives and the fight's still going on, he'll stand up near the firebomb bridge and wait patiently. It's great, as while many players will each have their - as you say - "imaginary rules", this seem to be a pattern everyone abides by at that level.

The idea of a real honour system is nice, but probably very difficult in practice. It could be a true outline of that player, based on playstyle or even what gestures they use more frequently. If you left it for them to decide (and deceive like with the message system), I think it would lose substance. A player bowing and then fighting "dishonourably" is much more relevant to the Dark Souls experience =)

ArynCrinn

Banned
likewise! MOst Dark enthusiasts prob don't recognize you as a founding father of some of the cool Demon's builds when souls was just starting....although IIRC your faith builds were your favourites I'll never forget my Demon Mage chick ....how fun was it to tank the great sword in pvp but still be able to dance around (with soul arrows firing) and unleash it overhead and not have the poor bastard realize what hit him/her.....lots of good memories of early demon's in 2009 but I didn't get posting privilages until a year and half later so despite you not recognizing me likley.....a belated thanks all the same....you and several other original demon's thread posters helped shape my souls experience early onso that now it is by far the most I have ever got into any video game period!

Can't wait to get my new rig going in time for the release!

prettty much settled on the ASUS GTX 680 TOP (NCIX Canada will throw in a power supply this week for cheap as well as NVIDIA is giving Batman AC coupon.)

Still undecided on a lot ofother stuff though ...should I try to get other ASUS stuff like a motherboard from the same company? I realize mix and match is fine, but thought it might be cool to have a clear panel on the side of the tower and have a more aesthetically consistent engine under the hood?

Also. I haveenough cash to get 2 SSD's but is this really necessary? Figuring one will be enough.

What sayyou @IC?

A 680 is a good choice for a lasting rig right now. To be honest Asus mobo's are some of the best out there so if you can swing it and get a good one go for it, that or a Gigabyte I'd recommend, but it really doesn't matter as long as the board is decent quality.

On SSD's it's really your preference, they are a lot faster than HDD's and are a great investment long term. I'll be adding another two to my 120GB and 60GB SSD's soon, so if you can do it, go for it. Just be sure to get a decent 1-3TB or so HDD for storage and backup purposes too, preferably a 7200rpm SATA III.

Any of the good Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU's will go nicely with this. It'll be a beast.

Just be aware of any power supply requirements you will have adding a SSD, HDD, fans, CPU and especially the 680. Just make sure you're getting around 750-800watts to be safe and future proof a bit.

Mxrz

Maybe its me, but pvp seems limited to the burg and kiln these days. I've been blue/red stoning in different areas on different characters without much luck. The only time I find NA/Euro players is in the Parish, too. Even then the ratio is kind of low.

Just a lot more Japanese players or is there more to it?

2AdEPT

A 680 is a good choice for a lasting rig right now. To be honest Asus mobo's are some of the best out there so if you can swing it and get a good one go for it, that or a Gigabyte I'd recommend, but it really doesn't matter as long as the board is decent quality.

On SSD's it's really your preference, they are a lot faster than HDD's and are a great investment long term. I'll be adding another two to my 120GB and 60GB SSD's soon, so if you can do it, go for it. Just be sure to get a decent 1-3TB or so HDD for storage and backup purposes too, preferably a 7200rpm SATA III.

Any of the good Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU's will go nicely with this. It'll be a beast.

Just be aware of any power supply requirements you will have adding a SSD, HDD, fans, CPU and especially the 680. Just make sure you're getting around 750-800watts to be safe and future proof a bit.

started ordering...the 680 top is obviously in high demand still, but I placed my order...took their deal on a 850 wattpower supply, and snagged a logitech 110 keyboard for $69....still waffling over motherboards.....I just hope i don't havetowait too long for the 680 top as I wan tto get going onmy second playthrough of witcher 2 and of course the P2D online experience from launch will be preferred.....may have to just take what i can get....the location here has many of the aftermarket 680 jobs....msi lightning being one.

krakov

Maybe its me, but pvp seems limited to the burg and kiln these days. I've been blue/red stoning in different areas on different characters without much luck. The only time I find NA/Euro players is in the Parish, too. Even then the ratio is kind of low.

Takes about 2 seconds to invade in Anor londo at sl 43. 360 ver.

I got a lot of action in the 360 version as part of the Forest covenant, too. Lots of people like to do PVP in Darkroot. I also got invaded while I was in Anor Londo and had some successful invasions in the Catacombs. I also got Gravelorded in the Catacombs as well.

Wowbagger

I've invaded the Depths and Blighttown frequently in the last couple days. Using a SL 35 character on PS3, it usually only takes a few seconds to find a host.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I'l like SL75/NG, pretty much maxed out pyro glove. Bumped dex and str enough to use lightning winged spear. using elite knight armor. Just beat seath and am on my way to kill the rest of the remaining bosses. End is at 40.

Instead of pumping more souls into vit do you guys think raising int and getting some sorcery spells would be useful at all at this stage? I have 4 attunement slots I think all I can buy right now is Soul Arrow. It has 30 uses which seems like a lot coming from pyros spells. Does it do decent damage?

krakov

So I'l like SL75/NG, pretty much maxed out pyro glove. Bumped dex and str enough to use lightning winged spear. using elite knight armor. Just beat seath and am on my way to kill the rest of the remaining bosses. End is at 40.

Instead of pumping more souls into vit do you guys think raising int and getting some sorcery spells would be useful at all at this stage? I have 4 attunement slots I think all I can buy right now is Soul Arrow. It has 30 uses which seems like a lot coming from pyros spells. Does it do decent damage?

Not really. I would recommend starting over as a mage type character instead. You will need to get close to 40 int for it to not underwhelm if you already have a maxed glove. Maybe raise str/dex and try out some cool weapons instead.

Quikies83

Is this armor available in game?? Looks like a Elite Armor variant..

BZyHn.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Is this armor available in game?? Looks like a Elite Armor variant..
That is the Elite Knight armor. The only NPC wearing it is the Knight Oscar of Astora, who appears in the introduction cutscenes and twice in-game.

the second time you fight him as he has turned hollow

Quikies83

god damnitttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just lost 138k Souls and 6 Humanity due to the fucking Capra Demon... those fucking close quarters make this fight much harder than it needs to be. NG+ here. I'm sick right now... FUCK

2AdEPT

god damnitttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just lost 138k Souls and 6 Humanity due to the fucking Capra Demon... those fucking close quarters make this fight much harder than it needs to be. NG+ here. I'm sick right now... FUCK

yeah capra is a boss I do not expect to roll over first try even now after 1000 hours of souls! At low level my rate is success 1 in 5. Beasted out for NG+ maybe a littel better but still a good chance of dying at least once....only rolled him first try maybe twice ever?

either spend the souls and humanity and farm after, or use the rings of sacrifice....you can buy multiple copies from the guy in the church.

Quikies83

Yeah I'm not making any headway on either of my characters (SL60 NG+, SL12) -- both are at the Capra Demon. Anyone on PS3 wanna throw a sign down and assist? At least to attract the damn dogs. Getting to the Capra isn't a cakewalk either.. those 6 poison ninjas can take your life pretty quick.

Booshka

yeah capra is a boss I do not expect to roll over first try even now after 1000 hours of souls! At low level my rate is success 1 in 5. Beasted out for NG+ maybe a littel better but still a good chance of dying at least once....only rolled him first try maybe twice ever?

either spend the souls and humanity and farm after, or use the rings of sacrifice....you can buy multiple copies from the guy in the church.

I had a Capra Demon streak of like 35-40 straight victories on the first try in a row since I started playing this game. I just recently died on it for the first time a couple weeks ago, I always get lucky and make it up the staircase, that time I just didn't.

one85x

If you have the Fog Ring, the dogs won't attack you when you walk in. You can kill the Capra Demon and walk out without the dogs ever noticing you.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If you have the Fog Ring, the dogs won't attack you when you walk in. You can kill the Capra Demon and walk out without the dogs ever noticing you.
Consider my mind officially blown. Never knew this in all my playthroughs. Love this game.

Mxrz

I've invaded the Depths and Blighttown frequently in the last couple days. Using a SL 35 character on PS3, it usually only takes a few seconds to find a host.

Maybe I'm playing at the wrong times. I still mostly do late nights EST, with a little early evening thrown in. Going to make a new SL30 for the DLC and stuff, I'll try invading more at that level.

2AdEPT

How the slumbering dragon ring? Is that enough to get the dogs not to aggro? Is the fog ring obtained from the forest covenant?

that ring is only goood when you come up from behind....if they see you they will strill attack.

yeah...learn new tactics all the time....so many options ...........

@booshka: i never don't make it up the stairs.....2 of 5 times while I ma dealing with dogs at the top capra swings from below and ohk's me or injures/stuns me enough that my shiled is broken and the dogs chew on my testicles. the other 2 of 5 times I just make a mistake.....1 in 5 like I said I nail it (at low level) coming in after ringing two bells and high pyro and lightning spear is usually death for capra....but not guranteeed. I never claim to be a good player...just love this game enough to hours into it. I am getting better at PVP but still suck on vet standards.

PC update in prep for P2D:

no ASUS 680 gtx tops in canada...have to wait a couple weeks.... 1 MSI lightning left in Canada yesterday...it is now MINE MINE MINE. Got everything else......2k later my tech/it buddy says I screwed up as intel wont resepct warranty claims if you don't buy the solid sate 512 drives in the package with the bracket....NCIX sold me a tonne of shit including a nice motherboard and HUGE antec 1100 case but did not think to ensure i had a bracket for teh SSD...i know i know....I am a noob at this stuff.....guy got a small commission off me all the same as I ensured I spoke to him in store instead of just web order.....oh well they will prolly correct it tommorrow and then we start building!!!! Can hardly wait for p2dbut will be finishing my iorveth path playthrough on TW2 in the mean time.....anyone know if it will be easy to migratesaves over to a new PC from my old med spec laptop? I realize there are better threads for this but I only like souls people! :p

Maybe I'm playing at the wrong times. I still mostly do late nights EST, with a little early evening thrown in. Going to make a new SL30 for the DLC and stuff, I'll try invading more at that level.

it is usually better to be out east as you canbebefit from me on the west coast playing early evening...I play on the west coast and when the east goes to bed...so does my multiplayer rate...although pllaying late here (like 2am) sees a tionne of jappanese players just getting out of bed in the am on a saturday or sunday (I assume).

edit2 sorry aboot the speeling.....dropped my nice new lit key logitech 110 off at IT buddy's house in prep for building tomorrow and amnow typing on a friggin acer ....checkswidth...couldn't be mroe than 10 inches wide laptop....tomorrow can't come soon enough!!!!!

Beckx

Hey all, I've just gotten back into Dark Souls. Initially played through to completion on PS3, but am now starting anew on 360. What's the best site to get up to speed on changes to the game, current builds, etc.? All of my knowledge is hopelessly dated.

krakov

Hey all, I've just gotten back into Dark Souls. Initially played through to completion on PS3, but am now starting anew on 360. What's the best site to get up to speed on changes to the game, current builds, etc.? All of my knowledge is hopelessly dated.

A lot of the information online is incomplete and/or complete garbage. Experiment and follow the thread, there are a lot of experienced players here. Any specific information you're looking for?

Beckx

My PS3 build was a Dex fighter - Fire Ialto, with a mix of Ornstein's and Havel's.

I'd like to experiment with a caster (likely sorcery, but maybe faith), but have zero experience with them & want to make sure I won't gimp myself for those times that I'm at a boss and can't find any summons.

krakov

My PS3 build was a Dex fighter - Fire Ialto, with a mix of Ornstein's and Havel's.

I'd like to experiment with a caster (likely sorcery, but maybe faith), but have zero experience with them & want to make sure I won't gimp myself for those times that I'm at a boss and can't find any summons.

Sorcery is very strong and can easily take you through most of the game. There are some pretty good INT-scaling weapons as well. Look up the moonlight butterfly horn and the moonlight greatsword. Magic/Enchanted upgrade path isn't very good unfortunately but you could have a lightning/fire/chaos-weapon with low requirements for when you want to go in close. You can buy some extra spells from the blacksmith in New Londo as soon as you get to Firelink.

Beckx

Sorcery is very strong and can easily take you through most of the game. There are some pretty good INT-scaling weapons as well. Look up the moonlight butterfly horn and the moonlight greatsword. Magic/Enchanted upgrade path isn't very good unfortunately but you could have a lightning/fire/chaos-weapon with low requirements for when you want to go in close. You can buy some extra spells from the blacksmith in New Londo as soon as you get to Firelink.

Thanks - that's the kind of thing I need to know, I remember when the game launched that elemental was the way to go (still bummed I went Dex), but had no idea whether Magic/Enchanted ever got buffed enough to be worthwhile. Sounds like it didn't. I'll look up INT scaling weapons and maybe this time hit the forest early - last time I didn't go there til the endgame.

Zaventem

One thing that i seriously dislike in DkS is how they gave the middle finger to strength builds.Seriously 50 STR+ to wield some weapons? wtf, and then they're slow as shit which doesn't even make sense because you have ultra greatswords and BKGA with that amount similar or higher attack power and people have gotten used to them.

Well maybe the next game they'll figure everything out.. not bashing them either because it's only the 2nd try and in a different environment.When they do get everything right that game in the Souls Series will be one amazing game.

Beckx

So is the recommended approach still to spend some on VIT and END early on? I don't know if I'm brave enough to go full on glass cannon and max INT and ATT w/o VIT.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm about to finish up the game for the first time, and I've saved almost every boss soul I got from boss fights, which unique crafted weapons are worthwhile?

Fuck this game sometimes.

Did the entire Big Hat Logan questline,
including killing him and taking his hat
but I didn't know I was supposed to head back to where he set up shop
to get the rest of his clothes

Already beat the game though, so I'll have to do it all over again on another play-through.

Zaventem

I'm about to finish up the game for the first time, and I've saved almost every boss soul I got from boss fights, which unique crafted weapons are worthwhile?

Well you need all of them if you're going for trophies/achievements anyways but i'll say Dragonslayer Spear,Moonlight Butterfly Horn,Lifehunt Scythe are the only good ones.Chaos Blade is debatable.

Thanks - that's the kind of thing I need to know, I remember when the game launched that elemental was the way to go (still bummed I went Dex), but had no idea whether Magic/Enchanted ever got buffed enough to be worthwhile. Sounds like it didn't. I'll look up INT scaling weapons and maybe this time hit the forest early - last time I didn't go there til the endgame.
I'm going with an Int-Dex build and after a full strength/vit character I am having no problems, well the only part is an issue was the last part of the archives. With having dex I can always imbue a weapon to take full advantage of int as well. So far the best weapons for me are:

Balder side sword- during the early game

Silver knight straight sword-mid and beast of a weapon, you an imbue this one too.

Velka's Rapier- my late game and PvP weapon

Sorcery opens a lot of routes and styles but I find it best as a means to soften up foes considerably before going hand to hand.

MormaPope

Banned
Well you need all of them if you're going for trophies/achievements anyways but i'll say Dragonslayer Spear,Moonlight Butterfly Horn,Lifehunt Scythe are the only good ones.Chaos Blade is debatable.

Thanks for the info, I hate wasting resources on weapons that aren't even better than basic upgraded weapons.

One thing that i seriously dislike in DkS is how they gave the middle finger to strength builds.Seriously 50 STR+ to wield some weapons? wtf, and then they're slow as shit which doesn't even make sense because you have ultra greatswords and BKGA with that amount similar or higher attack power and people have gotten used to them.

Well maybe the next game they'll figure everything out.. not bashing them either because it's only the 2nd try and in a different environment.When they do get everything right that game in the Souls Series will be one amazing game.
I think a lot of people two-hand these high STR weapons.

Zaventem

I mean the comparison to the weapon holding stats to 1 hand in Demon's Souls.The highest weapon stat in DeS is 36 to hold a weapon with 1 hand Bramd.They just went overboard and tried to over balance shit and ending up fucking up, all the other dex weapons stats between Dark and Demon's are around the same.

Booshka

I mean the comparison to the weapon holding stats to 1 hand in Demon's Souls.The highest weapon stat in DeS is 36 to hold a weapon with 1 hand Bramd.They just went overboard and tried to over balance shit and ending up fucking up, all the other dex weapons stats between Dark and Demon's are around the same.

1 Handing a Strength weapon is dumb anyway, and you can keep your strength under 36 to 2H 50 strength weapons. Not to mention Strength scaling gets bad after 27 for 2H and terrible after 40 for 1H.

A friend talked me into doing a no estus run. Obviously I need some healing so I made a cleric. I'm now in Undead Parish with a +3 halberd. I'm gonna gather some more humanity and then hope for the BK Halberd, then I'm pretty much set.

2AdEPT

as mentioned above....2 handing is the wayto go so you can pump more vitality endurance or start a secondry specialty in sorcery or faith.....the dragon great axe doesn't scale with STR but it pounds when using the r2 attack ...buffed with sunlight or darkmoon blade it is no slouch....and when you are llowed to get some faith or magic to assist yiour character becomes pretty decent.

in addition to the ones already listed I woudl add the queelag furysword...you have to choose between the chaos blade and it, but both are decent weapons and you may actually like the furysword moveset as it is relatively unique. Any weaponthat allows you to roleplay bosses like ornstein is worthit for tht factor alone...the reach on his spear is really good and it is good for pvp despite lower damage.

Fuck this game sometimes.

Did the entire Big Hat Logan questline,
including killing him and taking his hat
but I didn't know I was supposed to head back to where he set up shop
to get the rest of his clothes

Already beat the game though, so I'll have to do it all over again on another play-through.

yeah I will be doing the next setrof content completely blind as \i think I have figured out the developers mindset finally....but to this point I did minor checks in wikis and particuallry this thread for events such as the one you mention.

Himself

I'm about 6 hours in and it feels good to be back, but...this (so far) just isn't up to par with Demon's. I've killed 2 bosses, seen about 5 or 6 areas. I don't like this open world design too much. Transition between areas feels good and organic, but the level design is nowhere near as tight or interesting as the hubs in Demon's. Feels like too much wandering (i stumbled through 3 new areas in about a 10 minute time frame) without much risk or reward. The bosses also aren't as climactic and I don't feel like the enemies are as engaging. Backtracking between areas already feels like a bit of a chore. The atmosphere also feels nowhere near as oppressive.

It's great and I'm hooked, but I think I'm going to end up in the Demons>Dark camp. Of course I realize I have many many more things to experience so I'll hold off on the final judgement.

The hub design just does a much better job of framing this type of game IMO. Each hub felt like a little world to conquer. The open world just feels like...a bunch of wandering and the bosses don't feel like the culmination of anything in particular.

Quikies83

Can I drop white soapstone in darkroot garden? Are there any areas where you can't summon (assuming that boss hasn't been defeated)??

Booshka

I'm about 6 hours in and it feels good to be back, but...this (so far) just isn't up to par with Demon's. I've killed 2 bosses, seen about 5 or 6 areas. I don't like this open world design too much. Transition between areas feels good and organic, but the level design is nowhere near as tight or interesting as the hubs in Demon's. Feels like too much wandering (i stumbled through 3 new areas in about a 10 minute time frame) without much risk or reward. The bosses also aren't as climactic and I don't feel like the enemies are as engaging. Backtracking between areas already feels like a bit of a chore. The atmosphere also feels nowhere near as oppressive.

It's great and I'm hooked, but I think I'm going to end up in the Demons>Dark camp. Of course I realize I have many many more things to experience so I'll hold off on the final judgement.

The hub design just does a much better job of framing this type of game IMO. Each hub felt like a little world to conquer. The open world just feels like...a bunch of wandering and the bosses don't feel like the culmination of anything in particular.

Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo should change your mind a little bit. I enjoy the wandering and discovery of the open world, so if it's not your thing, it may not change your mind about it.

Can I drop white soapstone in darkroot garden? Are there any areas where you can't summon (assuming that boss hasn't been defeated)??
The Asylum and
the great hollow/ash lake
are the two solo only areas I think.

In the garden you definetly can place the sign. After you get the crest that area is a great place to put your sign down for PvP practice.

krakov

The Asylum and
the great hollow/ash lake
are the two solo only areas I think.

In the garden you definetly can place the sign. After you get the crest that area is a great place to put your sign down for PvP practice.

There is also valley of drakes which is free from coop/pvp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom