• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

I'm about 6 hours in and it feels good to be back, but...this (so far) just isn't up to par with Demon's. I've killed 2 bosses, seen about 5 or 6 areas. I don't like this open world design too much. Transition between areas feels good and organic, but the level design is nowhere near as tight or interesting as the hubs in Demon's. Feels like too much wandering (i stumbled through 3 new areas in about a 10 minute time frame) without much risk or reward. The bosses also aren't as climactic and I don't feel like the enemies are as engaging. Backtracking between areas already feels like a bit of a chore. The atmosphere also feels nowhere near as oppressive.

It's great and I'm hooked, but I think I'm going to end up in the Demons>Dark camp. Of course I realize I have many many more things to experience so I'll hold off on the final judgement.

The hub design just does a much better job of framing this type of game IMO. Each hub felt like a little world to conquer. The open world just feels like...a bunch of wandering and the bosses don't feel like the culmination of anything in particular.

Yeah give it a chance....Sen's fortress has been ranked as high as "best dungeon in any rpg ever" so give it a go until then. I'm with Booshka on this one....the open world is what most fan feedback ASKED for with regard to FROM's quest to support their fans....we asked, they listened......sorry for voting against your wishes but obvouslt they must have had enough supprt for this type of change or they wouldn't have done it.

The reason you can and should go through several areas quickly is that instead ofthe nexus there are shortcuts to open...later you can warp between certin bonfires as well....so thereis no need to keep wandering once you establish a majority of the map.

Warp plus shortcuts makes it better...keep going....Dark has improved over Demon's in almost all ways except consistent dungeon design.....award winning areas are to come...but the last several were obvioulsy rushed and not up to hoile.

Himself

Warp plus shortcuts makes it better...keep going....Dark has improved over Demon's in almost all ways except consistent dungeon design.....award winning areas are to come...but the last several were obvioulsy rushed and not up to hoile.

I put a few more hours in last night.

That's good news about the warp! But The fact that there is a warp also shows that there is some sort of flaw in open world design. Having warp sites is a way of turning the various locations into hub spots so why have the open world in the first place? It's as if they knew wandering from place to place would eventually become tiresome and I already miss the unbelievably tight level design of Demons.

Again, these are early impressions and i know I have tons of hours ahead of me and will become more familiar with how the worlds are connected and maybe come to appreciate it. So maybe a few months from now I'll be the one telling a skeptic, "keep going, ya jerk!"

And this is all within the context of the Souls games, mind you. This game still rules most everything put there.

Zaventem

I put a few more hours in last night.

That's good news about the warp! But The fact that there is a warp also shows that there is some sort of flaw in open world design. Having warp sites is a way of turning the various locations into hub spots so why have the open world in the first place? It's as if they knew wandering from place to place would eventually become tiresome and I already miss the unbelievably tight level design of Demons.

Again, these are early impressions and i know I have tons of hours ahead of me and will become more familiar with how the worlds are connected and maybe come to appreciate it. So maybe a few months from now I'll be the one telling a skeptic, "keep going, ya jerk!"

And this is all within the context of the Souls games, mind you. This game still rules most everything put there.
Why have warp in the first place? really i don't think you'll find any modern open world game without warp because having something where you have to walk all over the play without some form of speed travel is stupid.Anyways there's an item that returns you to your bonfire call homeward bone, a miracle that does the same thing and another warp you get much later on that move you between important bonfires for free.

Quikies83

Any idea why my claymore would be stuck at +10?? I have titanite chunks and slabs in my inventory but neither giant blacksmith or one near sens fortress can ascend it.. This is very strange. I must be missing something...

Edit: shit.. HELLO -- I'm missing a ember! Nevermind the above :)

Mxrz

So is the DLC coming at the end of the month? I've seen mention it it releasing the same time as the PC edition and some bits saying later.

Meh! I spent about two hours playing a new character up to Parish and farming humanity to go and kill the halberd Black Knight. Obviously it didn't drop, even though I had 10 humanity. Starting over, I guess :/

Sullichin

Meh! I spent about two hours playing a new character up to Parish and farming humanity to go and kill the halberd Black Knight. Obviously it didn't drop, even though I had 10 humanity. Starting over, I guess :/

I wonder if the quit / reload trick would work? When the drop pops up, if you don't get the halberd, don't press X to confirm and quit and try again.

J-Roderton

I'm thinking of starting a new save soon. Anyone here used a slow heavy two-hand sword as their go to weapon? Do those things usually work well in boss fights? I stuck with a lightning uchigatana pretty much til the end after using up the drake sword.

Mxrz

I'm thinking of starting a new save soon. Anyone here used a slow heavy two-hand sword as their go to weapon? Do those things usually work well in boss fights? I stuck with a lightning uchigatana pretty much til the end after using up the drake sword.

Yeah. Heavy/slow strength weapons are fine in PvE, but pvp comes down to taking people by surprise. They're way too easy to dodge and punish. My strength character ran through with the great club and the dragon king axe. With buffs, they'll drop bosses super quick as long as you can poise tank a hit or two.

Unless you mean the Claymore & Zweihander. They're both part of the giants/flipy/mask getup, and generally among the easiest weapons to use.

J-Roderton

Yeah. Heavy/slow strength weapons are fine in PvE, but pvp comes down to taking people by surprise. They're way too easy to dodge and punish. My strength character ran through with the great club and the dragon king axe. With buffs, they'll drop bosses super quick as long as you can poise tank a hit or two.

Unless you mean the Claymore & Zweihander. They're both part of the giants/flipy/mask getup, and generally among the easiest weapons to use.

Yeah, totally referring to the Zweihander.

Booshka

Yeah, totally referring to the Zweihander.

Zwei is great, fun moveset and excellent damage for only weighing 10.0. Sure you can use it like a noob and only use the light attack over and over, but if you utilize the strong, roll, backstep and jump attacks it will be more versatile in both PvP and PvE. In PvE if you get your range and timing right you can kill everything will the strong attack combo before they even get near you.

krakov

Never saw the Zwei that way, it's not an especially easy to use pvp weapon. Katanas, claymore and rapiers are the usual suspects imho.

Zwei is great, fun moveset and excellent damage for only weighing 10.0. Sure you can use it like a noob and only use the light attack over and over, but if you utilize the strong, roll, backstep and jump attacks it will be more versatile in both PvP and PvE. In PvE if you get your range and timing right you can kill everything will the strong attack combo before they even get near you.
Really? Posters in this thread use this word?

Booshka

Never saw the Zwei that way, it's not an especially easy to use pvp weapon. Katanas, claymore and rapiers are the usual suspects imho.

Most Derp mask wearing Giant flippers that use Zwei only go for stunlocks and poise backstabs, they don't use the weapon with any skill, just abuse it with gimmicks and cheap tactics. Goes for most stunlock weapons, Claymore, MGS, Great Lord Greatsword, all the same shit, just stack up poise and mash the light attack until you win or get parried.
Jake Tower said:

Yea, it's a video game thread. Sorry if that bothers you. Should I say "novice?"

2AdEPT

sounds like you think he meant it dorogatorily.....it doesn't necessarily mean bad...I'm a noob at a lot of things like PC gaming and still play like a noob on Dark souls all the time...unlsss I am so noobish that I do not realize that it really is a dorogatory word??!??!?!?

Yea, it's a video game thread. Sorry if that bothers you. Should I say "novice?"
perhaps "amateur" "tenderfoot" or even "fish" (anoter prison one) would have beenthe more refined nomenclature with which to interject.

BadWolf

Finished Demon Souls yesterday (stopped close to the end late last year, got distracted by a certain fighting game for months heh). A couple of boss fights and I was done. Jumped straight into Dark Souls and felt right at home, feels like pretty much the same game but with some differences (bonfires etc.). For now, it definitely feels like Demon Souls is the more high quality/polished/memorable game but we'll see.

I solo'd Demon Souls, the atmosphere was so awesome that it wouldn't have been the same otherwise imo. Can Dark Souls be played in a similar single player manner? I heard somewhere that multiplayer is essential for Dark Souls and the game is really tough without it, is this true?

Used a Royal in DeS, loved the fact that I got to experience both the ranged and melee aspects of the game. Went with a Warrior here, not sure how to level the character. Just been leveling Vitality and Endurance so far.

Also, what do you gain from becoming human in this?

I solo'd Demon Souls, the atmosphere was so awesome that it wouldn't have been the same otherwise imo. Can Dark Souls be played in a similar single player manner? I heard somewhere that multiplayer is essential for Dark Souls and the game is really tough without it, is this true?

Also, what do you gain from becoming human in this?
Human form is basically for multiplayer - if you are hollow, you can put down your sign to be summoned for co-op, but you can't summon others or be invaded. There's no health drop to being undead like in DeS.

You can play DS solo no problem, most people would agree that it is the easier of the two games. Some of the bosses, well one especially, seems designed specifically for co-op, most bosses have an NPC summon sign nearby, so even if you're playing offline (you still need to be human) you can co-op bosses. This says to me From wants you to co-op, and it's fun, so why not.

BadWolf

Human form is basically for multiplayer - if you are hollow, you can put down your sign to be summoned for co-op, but you can't summon others or be invaded. There's no health drop to being undead like in DeS.

You can play DS solo no problem, most people would agree that it is the easier of the two games. Some of the bosses, well one especially, seems designed specifically for co-op, most bosses have an NPC summon sign nearby, so even if you're playing offline (you still need to be human) you can co-op bosses. This says to me From wants you to co-op, and it's fun, so why not.

Ah, thanks. Guess there's no need to waste a space on a Cling Ring now.

It does seem to be easier so far. Or at the very least they ease you into it better. But then again I'm fresh off Demon Souls and they're core game systems are the same, with Demon Souls I was completely lost on how to approach the game in the beginning so that added quite a bit to the challenge (game got easier as time went on).

Yeah maybe I should try multiplayer, it would be more fun to approach this differently then I did Demon Souls (I already went with a female character this time to mix things up).

Multiplayer doesn't make the game too easy does it? And how does it work? You lay down a marker and someone summons you, then you just fight like a two player beat em up? If I don't go human I can't be invaded right? I became one for a moment and got killed/invaded instantly. I'm not interested in PvP at all.

Multiplayer can make it too easy - especially now the game has been out a while and to be honest a lot of people you summon are glitching equipment - which I think is rude, to come in to someone else's game with end game stuff and just one-hit everything - you can tell by their armour usually. You might want to only summon for bosses if you're having a tough time with them. It can help to be summoned to other players' worlds to get some risk-free practice in if you're having a tough time with a particular boss too.

Multiplayer works by using several items - the white soapstone is for co-op, and you get it as a gift very early on - using the item you put down your sign on the ground and other human-form players can see the sign and a ghost image of your character when they step over it - they summon you as a phantom and you co-op with them in that area, when the area boss is defeated you return to your own world - this doesn't progress you in your world at all, so you can do this as many times as you like - the rewards are souls and humanity.

When you are in human form you will notice summon signs on the ground, usually close to bonfires or near boss fog doors, each area has it's particular hot spots you'll see easily where they are when online.

There are various other PvP items that depending on the covenant you are in at that time are used for invading other players.

Humanity has a few uses:
- Kindle bonfires (increase number of estus flasks you refill when resting at that bonfire)
- Go human at bonfires, if you are hollow you can use one active humanity to return to human form
- Item discovery/weapon scaling rates - Active humanity increases your item discovery rate and some weapons scale with active humanity.
- Loose humanity restores HP

Active humanity = the big number top left of the life bar, loose humanity = the humanity items you find that can be used to increase active humanity.

PvP can be frustrating at first, but I'd say once you are in the late game or NG+ you will get a grasp on it and enjoy it.

Edit: should've just linked to this! http://darksouls.wikidot.com/online

BadWolf

Multiplayer can make it too easy - especially now the game has been out a while and to be honest a lot of people you summon are glitching equipment - which I think is rude, to come in to someone else's game with end game stuff and just one-hit everything - you can tell by their armour usually. You might want to only summon for bosses if you're having a tough time with them. It can help to be summoned to other players' worlds to get some risk-free practice in if you're having a tough time with a particular boss too.

Multiplayer works by using several items - the white soapstone is for co-op, and you get it as a gift very early on - using the item you put down your sign on the ground and other human-form players can see the sign and a ghost image of your character when they step over it - they summon you as a phantom and you co-op with them in that area, when the area boss is defeated you return to your own world - this doesn't progress you in your world at all, so you can do this as many times as you like - the rewards are souls and humanity.

When you are in human form you will notice summon signs on the ground, usually close to bonfires or near boss fog doors, each area has it's particular hot spots you'll see easily where they are when online.

There are various other PvP items that depending on the covenant you are in at that time are used for invading other players.

Humanity has a few uses:
- Kindle bonfires (increase number of estus flasks you refill when resting at that bonfire)
- Go human at bonfires, if you are hollow you can use one active humanity to return to human form
- Item discovery/weapon scaling rates - Active humanity increases your item discovery rate and some weapons scale with active humanity.
- Loose humanity restores HP

Active humanity = the big number top left of the life bar, loose humanity = the humanity items you find that can be used to increase active humanity.

PvP can be frustrating at first, but I'd say once you are in the late game or NG+ you will get a grasp on it and enjoy it.

Edit: should've just linked to this! http://darksouls.wikidot.com/online

Thanks so much for your help man, that explains pretty everything I needed to know.

Orayn

I know it's nearly a month away, but reading that thread on Gaming about the guy getting back into Dark Souls is getting me crazy hyped for the release of Prepare to Die Edition on PC. My plan is to make an array of extravagant co-op characters for every possible level range so I can give out my calling card to folks on GAF, /vg/, and elsewhere to help take them from "I can't take this..." to "PRAISE THE SUN!"

2AdEPT

I know it's nearly a month away, but reading that thread on Gaming about the guy getting back into Dark Souls is getting me crazy hyped for the release of Prepare to Die Edition on PC. My plan is to make an array of extravagant co-op characters for every possible level range so I can give out my calling card to folks on GAF, /vg/, and elsewhere to help take them from "I can't take this..." to "PRAISE THE SUN!"

couldn't have been better timing to promote the game than to have that thread...wait a minute?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Ok no conspiracy theories today.

I am with you...other thatn that I refuse to even look at a wiki prior to exploring the areas intensively, I have not given enough thought to how I want to set up the characters. Certaiinly some will tear through and build giant armour tanks right away...others may take it slow....I think I am with you though as it will only take 10-20 hours to get through the content...especially if done "yoshi" style all in one sitting...although he swears he won't do that again.

MedIC86

I'm about 6 hours in and it feels good to be back, but...this (so far) just isn't up to par with Demon's. I've killed 2 bosses, seen about 5 or 6 areas. I don't like this open world design too much. Transition between areas feels good and organic, but the level design is nowhere near as tight or interesting as the hubs in Demon's. Feels like too much wandering (i stumbled through 3 new areas in about a 10 minute time frame) without much risk or reward. The bosses also aren't as climactic and I don't feel like the enemies are as engaging. Backtracking between areas already feels like a bit of a chore. The atmosphere also feels nowhere near as oppressive.

It's great and I'm hooked, but I think I'm going to end up in the Demons>Dark camp. Of course I realize I have many many more things to experience so I'll hold off on the final judgement.

The hub design just does a much better job of framing this type of game IMO. Each hub felt like a little world to conquer. The open world just feels like...a bunch of wandering and the bosses don't feel like the culmination of anything in particular.

Its pretty funny because i played darksouls before demon souls, and i really like darksouls a lot better because of the points you mention. I didnt find demonsouls to be as impressive.

Dorrin

Even though I've been playing this game off and on since last fall I just now finally tried the Darkwraith and Darkmoon covenants. I had tried Darkmoon once before but that was prior to the networking patch(only one invasion in like a week). Darkwraith I always avoided because I didn't like the idea of having to use a consumable which I always seemed to have in short supply.

This was already my Game of the Year, probably top 5 of the generation but wow joining Darkwraith has been so much fun. Even at level 118 and on xbox I still get a decent amount of invasions in Sens Fortress and the environment adds so much more then doing PvP in the forest.

Anyone here with advice on good invasion locations for both Darkwraith and Darkmoon in the xbox around level 120? I'm enjoying Sens but looking for a change.

Quikies83

Guise, Bed of Chaos is about to make me quit this game.

heh hated this battle. Luckily it saves your progress throughout the battle. I didn't have much trouble until AFTER I took out both left and right sides. Best to equip your best fire damage gear and orange charred ring.

heh hated this battle. Luckily it saves your progress throughout the battle. I didn't have much trouble until AFTER I took out both left and right sides. Best to equip your best fire damage gear and orange charred ring.
Orange charred? Isn't flame stone plate better?

If you have 3 people coordinating one on each side and one ready to run the tunnel is best. Then you can drop the sides then charge in in quick succession.

Hate that boss with a passion.

If you have 3 people coordinating one on each side and one ready to run the tunnel is best. Then you can drop the sides then charge in in quick succession.

You need the orange charred ring to walk on lava with little damage.

On a tangent, I have just NG+ with my SL 105 mage, will the Enchanted Iaito be sufficient? at the moment the EI and Quelaags Fury seem to be my main damage dealers. Im rocking Ornsteins armour at them moment and the grunts in undead burg can take a chunk off....not looking forward to the dukes archive...

Quikies83

Oops - yeah you're right.. I unfortunately got the flame stoneplate ring -- I may head to back Sens Fortress to find it.

So I started this again yesterday choosing a Pyromancer, and opting for the Binoculars. Just wondering if there is anything I should know about the class? So far things are easier because I have done most of it many times before. I am summoning people for fights too, right from the first boss. (just beat the twin gargoyles with help) But I never used Pyromancy in my previous game. What stat powers it?

I'm getting quite psyched as well man...

Redd

So I started this again yesterday choosing a Pyromancer, and opting for the Binoculars. Just wondering if there is anything I should know about the class? So far things are easier because I have done most of it many times before. I am summoning people for fights too, right from the first boss. (just beat the twin gargoyles with help) But I never used Pyromancy in my previous game. What stat powers it?

None. What raises the damage of Pyromancy is the level of your Pyro Glove.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
couldn't have been better timing to promote the game than to have that thread...wait a minute?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Ok no conspiracy theories today.

I am with you...other thatn that I refuse to even look at a wiki prior to exploring the areas intensively, I have not given enough thought to how I want to set up the characters. Certaiinly some will tear through and build giant armour tanks right away...others may take it slow....I think I am with you though as it will only take 10-20 hours to get through the content...especially if done "yoshi" style all in one sitting...although he swears he won't do that again.
Haha, good old yosh. I didn't know the extra content was supposed to be 10-20hrs. That is plenty to really take your time and get another proper Souls fix. Can't wait, I'm so happy they were successful and were able to go ahead with new content. If there's a game that can generate this much hype for the unknown (and still come out leaving people satisfied), it's Dark Souls.

But then, I'm with you. I will do my best to lock myself away from the internet until I'm convinced I've seen the DLC in its entirety at least once! Already seen too much from trailers and whatnot. It's time to go Dark...

One thing in particular I'm excited about is... that bloody Pendant. I really hope we can finally crack open the mystery behind that thing. It's been mentioned that you should start with the Pendant as your gift, and there are obviously many other rumours.

I may start a brand new character for the DLC and choose the Pendant at the start, just so I can explore as many possibilities as possible at every point the new content should "connect" with the full game. So interested to learn more. What about you guys? Will you start fresh (I guess so if on PC), or continue from a NG+ character or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom