• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
thanks guys. I tried the way you suggested and it was much faster.

And yes, I was going down to new londo then through the side entrance of valley of drakes and into the flood gate door. bypassed all the ghosts but it was just so roundabout.

I have the PS3 version if anyone's willing to help me take down Four Kings... I'm currently hanging out outside the fog door, but no summon signs :( SL 58.

edit: whoos, my PSN name is WeShall Rise

Sullichin

thanks guys. I tried the way you suggested and it was much faster.

And yes, I was going down to new londo then through the side entrance of valley of drakes and into the flood gate door. bypassed all the ghosts but it was just so roundabout.

I have the PS3 version if anyone's in the area... I'm currently hanging out outside the fog door, but no summon signs :( Name is Harker.

I don't have any characters in your level range, sorry. But I've never beaten 4 Kings with help. I've tried summoning people and it just seems to make the fight harder. Not to say you shouldn't try it, though. Also, I've seen more summon signs on the first two bridges at new londo than I've seen before the fog door. I don't think I've ever seen a summon sign before that fog door actually.

My advice for 4K is to wear havels or stone armor, get right in their face, 2 hand your best weapon, and go to town. Maybe have the grass crest shield on your back. It's all about beating them as quickly as possible.

.GqueB.

Banned
Solaire is clearly out of his mind.

Since we mentioned him, is there a "end" to his story? Onion knight clearly had one but with Solaire
I found him in Lost Izalith talking about how he couldnt find it and thinking he may have been wrong all these years. Then I summoned him for the last fight (he survived) and that was it. Did I miss something?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't have any characters in your level range, sorry. But I've never beaten 4 Kings with help. I've tried summoning people and it just seems to make the fight harder. Not to say you shouldn't try it, though. Also, I've seen more summon signs on the first two bridges at new londo than I've seen before the fog door. I don't think I've ever seen a summon sign before that fog door actually.

My advice for 4K is to wear havels or stone armor, get right in their face, 2 hand your best weapon, and go to town. Maybe have the grass crest shield on your back. It's all about beating them as quickly as possible.

Woa. So I took your advice, went in solo, equipped stone armor and just wailed out two handed with my fully upgraded demon spear. It is so different than the normal way I'd approach a situation. And it was hands down my easiest boss fight to date. I almost felt guilty how quick that fight went down. Thanks man.

So Im cursed now, and im trying to cancel it. I returned to the moss merchant lady, but which item is it that she sell which cancels out curse? Is it Purging Stone?

mxgt

Banned
So Im cursed now, and im trying to cancel it. I returned to the moss merchant lady, but which item is it that she sell which cancels out curse? Is it Purging Stone?
Yup

For future reference you can also farm them in Crystal Cave and buy them/get cured by Ingward in New Londo Ruins

Tomodachi

Since we mentioned him, is there a "end" to his story? Onion knight clearly had one but with Solaire
I found him in Lost Izalith talking about how he couldnt find it and thinking he may have been wrong all these years. Then I summoned him for the last fight (he survived) and that was it. Did I miss something?
I'd like to know too. I couldn't manage to
keep him alive
during the last fight though. Does he simply disappear as usual?

Dresden

I'd like to know too. I couldn't manage to
keep him alive
during the last fight though. Does he simply disappear as usual?

The other "end" for him is that he
dies in Lost Izalith. Basically he gets taken over by those sunlight maggots.

If you could summon him for the last fight, you guys got the "good" end for Solaire.

Tomodachi

The other "end" for him is that he
dies in Lost Izalith. Basically he gets taken over by those sunlight maggots.

If you could summon him for the last fight, you guys got the "good" end for Solaire.
Yup, I had the bad ending on my first NG. I guess the bad one is better then the good one then, lol.

Sullichin

Woa. So I took your advice, went in solo, equipped stone armor and just wailed out two handed with my fully upgraded demon spear. It is so different than the normal way I'd approach a situation. And it was hands down my easiest boss fight to date. I almost felt guilty how quick that fight went down. Thanks man.

Ha no problem, I think I gleaned that strategy from reading these OTs so much. The game does kind of train you to specifically NOT rush an enemy and wail on them. I mean you still have to avoid/block a little bit but for the most part you can just heal right on top of them. I didn't have much trouble with 4K on my first character, who's mostly all melee and I was wearing Havel's set for most bosses anyway.. but I got owned when I tried to approach it differently as a sorcerer. I would think taking down 4K with only magic would be really difficult.

SpaceBridge, yes you want purging stone from the moss lady OR the guy that absolves your sins at the church, a bit more of a hike with half HP but definitely doable and it's half the price. I assume you got cursed in the depths. If i'm wrong about that and you're later in the game, the clams in crystal caves drop purging stones.

2AdEPT

Anyone want to help me take out the Four Kings?

There just isnt anyone with soul summon signs around.
And I'm tired of the area and want to move on. I'm SL 58.

Gonna try again in 15.

edit: also what's the quickest way to the fog door? I've been running from Firelink through Valley of Drakes. But it's a ton of running, and lots of enemies along the way make it annoying.

DOn't go thqat way...if you have drained the new londo area just drop down near the first elevator and there are 3-4 darkwraiths to dispose of before the door. Takes 3 minutes if you don't die.

YOu should be able to take out the 4 kings solo with a modification in your strategy (the best startegy is actually somewhat of a mindless one, although there are few subtleties that will assist as well. BAsically just two hand your weapon (lightning spear +2 does it for me), with grass crest sheild and/or other stamina regen activated, and kill each as fast as fcukin possible in close....mash R1. estus in between each...done like dinner 90 sec. max.

oops I see yuou have got it above.............

tc farks

Well I've been thinking about the story, and it's a little convoluted and open for interpretation. Anyone run across a good write up for it?

Just beat bed of chaos. What a shitastic boss. Thank god it saves your progress.

Now have to complete tomb of giants and crystal cave before heading to the final area.

Kinda curious, do all you heavy armor users wear havel's ring and dark wood grain ring? I can just barely equip the stone set this way. It seems that's the only way to keep mobility unless your endurance is freakishly high.

Also, is there anything better than an upgraded eagle shield? Only Havel's shield seems outright better but it has a crazy STR requirement.

J-Roderton

Boy, Sen's Fortress is tough. Those swinging blades are the worst part. At least I found the lightning spear that pretty much makes the snake dudes easier to kill.

Sullichin

Boy, Sen's Fortress is tough. Those swinging blades are the worst part. At least I found the lightning spear that pretty much makes the snake dudes easier to kill.

Be happy that you got it! On my first playthrough I was simply getting owned in Sens. I made it to the mimic, he killed me. Made it to the mimic again and I killed him just as he kills me. No lightning spear. Had to wait until the next area to make a lightning weapon. I was so mad! But I've since gotten the lightning spear on other playthroughs and I don't even ever use it. I don't like the spear pokey move set, more of a halberd guy.

Also, most of the snake guys can be killed with traps. Sens fortress is so good.

Tomodachi

It just occurred to me.. Who is Sen? lol. I thought I kind of understood the story.
Don't worry, there's no Sen in the game. I read some speculation about an old japanese legend, Sen was the wife of a powerful warrior or something and he trapped her in a fortress.

Or something. That might have been the reference but the again, I'm not sure about any of this.

MrWisker

Sen's definitely the best area in the game, yep.

I really really want to like sens. But man no matter what I do those snake guards are able to hit me hard. There is no other area in the game that gives me as much trouble as sens and I have beaten the game several times. I really want to start farming some humanity but the thought of having to go into Sens to get the stupid ring to help with farming, I keep thinking I will get to it later.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I really really want to like sens. But man no matter what I do those snake guards are able to hit me hard. There is no other area in the game that gives me as much trouble as sens and I have beaten the game several times. I really want to start farming some humanity but the thought of having to go into Sens to get the stupid ring to help with farming, I keep thinking I will get to it later.

Once you learn to backstab almost every enemy in the game (aside from bosses) become incredibly trivial.

Dresden

Basically learning how to manage your stamina with your shield makes every encounter manageable, with the exception of two bosses that comes to mind.

Playing without a shield is far more interesting, imo. Sif is actually somewhat challenging (before you get the darkwood grain ring, anyways) without it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Basically learning how to manage your stamina with your shield makes every encounter manageable, with the exception of two bosses that comes to mind.

Playing without a shield is far more interesting, imo. Sif is actually somewhat challenging (before you get the darkwood grain ring, anyways) without it.

Once you get into NG+ and higher you had better know how to play without a shield, haha.

I just run around with my tin crystalization catalyst and moonlight greatsword/enchanted darksword.

Tomodachi

If you can't dodge the attacks you might want to use a shield with more stability. It really helps.
Also try backstabbing, it's easy to get behind the lizard guys.
Finally if you think you make too little damage to them (I know I did the first time I entered Sen's, a lizard man would take about 20 or more hits to go down) try to get a better weapon or grind a bit and get stronger, or strengthen your weapon. You could also use the pine resin to add lightning damage to your weapon. Pretty easy to farm in darkroot garden, from those tall mushrooms.

Sullichin

It's so cool the variety of areas in the game. There is something for everyone to love :)

Everything from Blightown, to an enchanted forest, to a dark enshrouded majestic castle/city..

Yeah except I don't think anyone likes blighttown :p I wouldn't mind it so much if the framerate wasn't ass.

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there a website or somewhere I can read about the story elements and history behind the different areas/worlds in this game? I've pumped over 100 hours into the game, and finally started my first NG+, but I'm eager to see if there is a list of compiled story related stuff to read.

Like for example, what the heck is
Ash Lake
? What is it based on and is there connections to real world mythology/stories? The world in this game is so interesting and mysterious.

2AdEPT

Not hard to back stab the snake dudes but it's so hard to in those close quarters and bridges.

THe eagle shield plus lightning spear (or estoc) pretty much is the best combo for any tunnel situation where backstabs are difficult. Jsut stay in fron t with shield up (you can still jab with sheild up with these two weapons), but do not commit to an attack unless they attack first and expose themselves or your stamina will get depleted fast despite not incurring any inmitial damage. ONce they do attacka nd expose themsevels you can patiently go in a bit at a time, or if you have a tonee of stamina regen or overall stamina is hge just go in and jab away! Eagle is particularly good for snake dudes as it has a high lightnign block stat as well.

hint: this is VERY effective on the archers in anor lando as well.

2AdEPT

Well I've been thinking about the story, and it's a little convoluted and open for interpretation. Anyone run across a good write up for it?

Although there are write ups, and people have painstakingly searched for allusions to this and that ,,,,lets face it and call it like it is...FROM does not have a story attaached to their games, which I agree is an oversight. All they would have to do is give a real story with interaction amoungst the superior gameplay and mechanics (spare the camera and framerate issues) and they woudl have the best RPG formula of all time.

but there is no story...simply making loose references and allusions to a story is not the same; that there are people with imaginations that are wild and that can fill in the gaps is what they bank on for this formula to work....it barely works for me as I know what theyare doing and don't like gettin duped. THis is so frustrating, becuase the characters they come up with are extremely interesting and have huge personality potential....but we can't interract with them much and they just haven't the time or budget to give us the complete experience we crave......hope they find a way for the Dark FOrest et al.

tc farks

Well put. I can deal with a minimalistic story, but that world and the characters in it made me crave for more. I'd like to see them expound on that aspect.

Just 1 example, Seath's story sounds amazing. I don't need or want cutscenes everywhere. But it would be nice to have a way to extract some of this information. More dialogue for one.

I liked how some things were kept short, such as when you get to Firelink and the guy talks about the Bells of Awakening, but has little info for you. You're following a vague prophecy you know little about. But as the game progresses I find myself murdering all these characters and I don't even know why.

Sullichin

He/She (or it?) is never referred to in the game as far as I know, however here is the meaning of the word Sen

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Sen.html

Interesting that the Chinese meaning is forest, and since the fortress is on top of the Darkroot Forest it could mean "The Forest Fortress" I guess.

Thanks, it also says
Other possibilities include the characters for "conceal; hide" or "hermit; wizard".

It's "concealing" anor londo and its full of "wizards." I cracked it! :p

Although there are write ups, and people have painstakingly searched for allusions to this and that ,,,,lets face it and call it like it is...FROM does not have a story attaached to their games, which I agree is an oversight. All they would have to do is give a real story with interaction amoungst the superior gameplay and mechanics (spare the camera and framerate issues) and they woudl have the best RPG formula of all time.

but there is no story...simply making loose references and allusions to a story is not the same; that there are people with imaginations that are wild and that can fill in the gaps is what they bank on for this formula to work....it barely works for me as I know what theyare doing and don't like gettin duped. THis is so frustrating, becuase the characters they come up with are extremely interesting and have huge personality potential....but we can't interract with them much and they just haven't the time or budget to give us the complete experience we crave......hope they find a way for the Dark FOrest et al.

Considering I was jokingly speculating the meaning of the name of an area from a baby name website, I agree that the story isn't exactly fleshed out. I don't mind that though.

J-Roderton

How often do all of you kindle? Almost at Anor Londo, but I've just kindled for the first time. I thought I needed to get an item or something to kindle. (after reading the achievement "rite of kindling") I get 10 flasks now, (obviously) and was wondering if that number goes up if I keep kindling that fire.

Dresden

How often do all of you kindle? Almost at Anor Londo, but I've just kindled for the first time. I thought I needed to get an item or something to kindle. (after reading the achievement "rite of kindling") I get 10 flasks now, (obviously) and was wondering if that number goes up if I keep kindling that fire.

you can kindle once without the rite, and then you can kindle that same fire twice more after getting the rite for up to 20 flasks at a time.

The original bonfire at Firelink is definitely worth kindling to the max; outside of that one, just kindle once as you go. I usually just kindle everything simply because I have so much humanity on me at all times and I don't run with Chaos weapons (although I might in the future).

J-Roderton

you can kindle once without the rite, and then you can kindle that same fire twice more after getting the rite for up to 20 flasks at a time.

The original bonfire at Firelink is definitely worth kindling to the max; outside of that one, just kindle once as you go. I usually just kindle everything simply because I have so much humanity on me at all times and I don't run with Chaos weapons (although I might in the future).

Cool. Once I kindle to 10 will it stay at 10? I heard it will go back to 5 after a while.

2AdEPT

Considering I was jokingly speculating the meaning of the name of an area from a baby name website, I agree that the story isn't exactly fleshed out. I don't mind that though.

Sorry to all if I sounded a little but complain oriented, I really got by ok in Demon's souls without much story, same for Dark, but my wife won't play either without the story though she is willing to give Skyrim a shot after getting addicted to Oblivion earlier....I am ok with bethesda and will get Skyrim when I can be assured not to get gouged by the add on prices et al, but since there is no online, and no need to hurry, I can wait for the price to come down. I would prefer a story for several reasons but the game-play and design of the characters and enemies is more important than a story.

2AdEPT

I'd love to see an improved / streamlined weapon upgrading system in the next game. Crystal weapons are a useless path, and I still see no reason to make an occult weapon. it's also nearly impossible to figure out how to upgrade weapons without outside help. It could really do with some better explanation. I would also like if most of the boss weapons didn't suck.

If you want to get your Faith up real high (like 50) to use certian miracles, then occult is the best way to go if you still want to PVP...otherwise you are right. I hear you on the boss weapons though...there are rare weapons like the moonlight greatsword that you can access only thorugh skill....but most of the best weapons are availbale for purchase in shops......make it a big deal to beat ORn and smough for example, particularly solo or some such thing by ONLY giving the weaon to a select few...and make it count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom