• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Argh whats the fucking point in some IDIOT coming in and killing me when I am fighting a fucking big bunch of guards?! PS3 > Set offline.

Stupid.

lol. I agree it is really frustrating to get invaded sometimes by people who attack you as you're fighting the AI. I prefer if they try to do a cat and mouse game, using the AI to their advantage but not attacking as soon as they invade if they see me fighting AI. Not everyone is an asshole in this regard, and as a phantom luring players into AI aggro range can be a good strategy.

Unfortunately turning human is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help. The situation you described.. that's the risk you run walking around as human. But again not everyone acts that way and I think you're missing out if you set your PS3 offline!

lol. I agree it is really frustrating to get invaded sometimes by people who attack you as you're fighting the AI. I prefer if they try to do a cat and mouse game, using the AI to their advantage but not attacking as soon as they invade if they see me fighting AI. Not everyone is an asshole in this regard, and as a phantom luring players into AI aggro range can be a good strategy.

Unfortunately turning human is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help. The situation you described.. that's the risk you run walking around as human. But again not everyone acts that way and I think you're missing out if you set your PS3 offline!

Yeah normally I wouldn't but I am at the boss now for Anor Lando and I am using Solaire for help, the boss fight is nails hard. Problem is, I get killed by an invader before I even get in the Great Hall. Crazy. Fuck know what happens if I keep dying because I've nearly run out of Humanity!

Is there a good strategy of who to kill first in the boss fight? I've been killing the big dude but then his mate has the biggest Lightning gun in the universe and fucks me up!

MrWisker

Yeah normally I wouldn't but I am at the boss now for Anor Lando and I am using Solaire for help, the boss fight is nails hard. Problem is, I get killed by an invader before I even get in the Great Hall. Crazy. Fuck know what happens if I keep dying because I've nearly run out of Humanity!

Is there a good strategy of who to kill first in the boss fight? I've been killing the big dude but then his mate has the biggest Lightning gun in the universe and fucks me up!

Easy to get humanity there. Just throw down a summons sign and help someone else. This is also great practice to beating the boss for you own game. You can also summon other people to help get you to the boss door if you are being invaded constantly.

If you have trouble with the skinny dude as the second boss, take him out first.

Sullichin

Killing the fat one (Smough) first and then having Super Ornstein with his lightning rape spear is much harder than killing them the other way around, imo. However you should note that you can later buy the armor of whoever you kill LAST. Ornstein's is really good medium weight armor, Smough's is good heavy high-poise armor. So, depending on your playstyle you might want one over the other. When either of the super versions do a lightning-infused ground pound, get at least 2 or 3 roll distances away from them... and Super Ornstein has that impale attack that's pretty much an instakill, once you get to know the animations, you'll know how to get out of the way of this move, but it's still hard. If I do Ornstein last, I like to do Smough melee only, and then keep my distance for as long as I can with Ornstein and toss my best pyromancy his way, finishing up with melee and kind of praying I don't get impaled. It's the best boss fight in the game!

Also, you should summon help in the bonfire room, there's always more summon signs there than the stairs leading to the boss, from my experience.

(thanks guys)

You know what, I don't know how to summon someone though! Is it the same as summoning Knight Solaire?

I just beat the boss - JUST! I took out the skinny dude first then concentrated on hammer dude, he was badass. I have a +2 Pyro Glove but I think I really need to start getting some more fire spells now. I am in the Chaos Covenant, they sell them, right? I just need to go and get some Humanity first.

SO... Helping human players gives you humanity? I need to try this out.

I just got the Lord Vessel. I read some people like to kill the very oversized lady, but why would I do that? I was asked to join covenant but I didn't for now - I can join another time, right?

Sullichin

(thanks guys)

You know what, I don't know how to summon someone though! Is it the same as summoning Knight Solaire?

I just beat the boss - JUST! I took out the skinny dude first then concentrated on hammer dude, he was badass. I have a +2 Pyro Glove but I think I really need to start getting some more fire spells now. I am in the Chaos Covenant, they sell them, right? I just need to go and get some Humanity first.

SO... Helping human players gives you humanity? I need to try this out.
Yeah summoning other players looks the same, you'll see their signs on the ground.

if you help someone and you guys successfully beat the boss, you'll get a humanity. But it will already be in your upper left corner, not as a usable item. I kinda wish it just gave you a humanity pickup so you can choose when to use it.

Chaos Covenant gives you the awesome chaos fireball when you first join, it takes 2 slots but it's really strong.

tc farks

I just got the Lord Vessel. I read some people like to kill the very oversized lady, but why would I do that? I was asked to join covenant but I didn't for now - I can join another time, right?

You can warp to that bonfire anytime now. But I've heard that covenant is pretty useless.

tc farks

Right, cool.

So next step is the Dukes Archives?

You can't go there until you've placed the Lordvessel. If you have done that, then yes. Good a place as any but it's up to you. As a sorcerer I did it first for obvious reasons. But the game opens up at this point and lets you get the 4 bequeathed lord souls in whatever order you wish.

You can't go there until you've placed the Lordvessel. If you have done that, then yes. Good a place as any but it's up to you. As a sorcerer I did it first for obvious reasons. But the game opens up at this point and lets you get the 4 bequeathed lord souls in whatever order you wish.

What do you mean "placed and Lordvessel"? I've been given it and can now warp between Bonfires (which is awesome).

Sullichin

Right, cool.

So next step is the Dukes Archives?

You have to talk about the lordvessel to Frampt (Firelink) or Kaathe (in the abyss, you have to beat the 4 kings for him to appear); Kaathe lets you join the darkwraiths, Frampt will let you sell junk items for souls. They take you to where you place the lordvessel, which opens the final area once you've put the 4 major boss souls there.

You have to talk about the lordvessel to Frampt (Firelink) or Kaathe (in the abyss, you have to beat the 4 kings for him to appear); Kaathe lets you join the darkwraiths, Frampt will let you sell junk items for souls. They take you to where you place the lordvessel, which opens the final area once you've put the 4 major boss souls there.

Right, thanks.

Friend of mine told me not to speak to Frampt after obtaining the Vessel as it stops Kaathe appearing and offering Darkwraiths. I guess it's onto Abyss route then...

Firstly I want to get complete the Chaos covenant requirements before moving on, and I want to go back to Giant Blacksmith and get the Fury sword :D

J-Roderton

What is the best way to get some low-mid level PVP going in this game? I feel the forest was kind of intended for this but it´s probably one of the most abused arenas of the game since there's no cap. PVP gets awfully boring awfully quick when you see the same shit all day long.

Also, what is the cap for Darkmoon invasions? got invaded by a SL97 with my SL36 character the other day, in darkroot. From my experience the blue stone doesn't work very well.

Yeah, I joined the forest covenant yesterday to try my hand at some pvp for the first time. I get summoned, pop up in the forest, then continue to wander around without finding the guy. Then I just get messages saying "icu" and "???" so I bailed. Really was pretty lame.

Dresden

Forest pvp is basically getting gangbanged by dudes in havel's or stone guard armor spamming WoG or swinging black knight greataxes around, usually in pairs.

krakov

Forest pvp is basically getting gangbanged by dudes in havel's or stone guard armor spamming WoG or swinging black knight greataxes around, usually in pairs.

Yep, it's pretty great when you manage to take them down though. And you can get some decent stuff as well, such as chunks of mixed variety. Maybe it would be wise to put some kind of level cap on it though.

Insaniac

are you talking getting summoned into the forest or vice versa? cause I had a lot of fun fighting in the forest w/ my friend (around SL 35)

tc farks

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/lc454/spoilers_welcome_who_or_what_is_the_furtive_pygmy/

What do you guys think of this?

Plot spoilers at link.

It's a great discussion though.

What ending do you guys go for?
I'm too late to join the Darkwraiths, but if I buy the above, I should probably kill Gywn's kids and walk away from his soul...

What a tricky little game this is!

I think that this game is fucking with me. I think they deliberately made it so that both endings could be interpreted differently.

Did the Channeler's Trident become a lot more common since 1.05 or am I just extremely lucky? I've gotten three of them without ever grinding.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think that this game is fucking with me. I think they deliberately made it so that both endings could be interpreted differently.

One ending
(the one where you link the flames) has you being incinerated. This is refered to in the story line. They tell you about the original linking of the flames and everything in the area being destroyed in the fire.

Everything with the good storyline is a lie. The princess doesn't exist in Anor londo, she's a projection, just like the sun in anor londo. The only "god" in that area is the prince, and he's lying to you to try to get you to keep the age of fire going (by sacrificing yourself).

The second (you bringing in the age of darkness) means that the age of man is beginning. (And possibly undeath will cease to exist). You being the decendant of the pygmy (man) it's up to you to end the "rule of the undead."

If you watch the beginning you see that you die in the "real world", and are cursed, thus you awaken in the sanctuary, by bringing about the age of darkness the curse is lifted, the undead no longer rule, and set the stage for the age of man take full effect.

That's my total interpretation, the only one who's honest with you is Kaathe, and also, everyone is an asshole.

I'm about to upgrade a weapon up the normal path for the trophy, and figure I might as well use it for my character as well. Does anyone know which weapons scale well with high dexterity?

My stats are:
VIT: 35
ATT: 23
END: 22
STR: 16
DEX: 40
RES/INT/FAI: Unchanged

Edit: I think I'll go with the Balder Side Sword, seems to have nice scaling and a pretty good moveset.

Uhh, how come Andre won't forge my weapon beyond +10? I gave him the Very Large Ember, but I still don't have the option. The only thing I can do with it is descend it to +5. Is this a known bug?

Sullichin

i really wish you could invade early without being a darkwraith (besides the few cracked orbs you can pick up in firelink). This is definitely a reason why there's so many griefers, there would be more legitimate low level PVP if you could invade without having to beat a boss as ridiculous as 4 kings right away.

Just beat Taurus for someone.. had no idea you could even be summoned for that.

Beat Queelagg at level 10. Feels good.

Mephala

I'm about to upgrade a weapon up the normal path for the trophy, and figure I might as well use it for my character as well. Does anyone know which weapons scale well with high dexterity?

My stats are:
VIT: 35
ATT: 23
END: 22
STR: 16
DEX: 40
RES/INT/FAI: Unchanged

Edit: I think I'll go with the Balder Side Sword, seems to have nice scaling and a pretty good moveset.

Uhh, how come Andre won't forge my weapon beyond +10? I gave him the Very Large Ember, but I still don't have the option. The only thing I can do with it is descend it to +5. Is this a known bug?

I recommend a katana, they have a B for dex scaling and as a minor bonus inflict bleed.

Once you reach +10, you need to ascend it to +11. Then you can continue to reinforce it. If this isn't the problem I'm not sure why you cannot upgrade it further if you've given him the Very Large Ember.

I recommend a katana, they have a B for dex scaling and as a minor bonus inflict bleed.

Once you reach +10, you need to ascend it to +11. Then you can continue to reinforce it. If this isn't the problem I'm not sure why you cannot upgrade it further if you've given him the Very Large Ember.

All right, I think I'll give a katana a shot, bleed sounds cool, especially with a fast weapon like that.

Do you have Titanite Chunks handy?

Yeah, I figured out that I had the wrong Large ember. I thought the one in Tomb of the Giants was the one needed for normal weapons, but apparently not. There's more embers than I thought there were, haha.

UFRA

Just finished the game on my first playthrough.

Took me 97 hrs, and I reached level 114. The final boss battle was cake lol.

Definitely enjoyed this game.

Saya

I can't break down Titanite items anymore with Frampt, is this a bug or is there any requirement I need to meet? I'm on NG++

I was invaded 4 times in Anor Londo with >400k Souls and 12 Humanity. Killed the first 3, died the 4th but got recovered everything affront the Bosses' room + killed em. Phew.

J-Roderton

Man, this Anor Londo sniper duo is tough. Big guys and the bat demon things are cake, but these dude are knocking me off the edge like it's their job.

Insaniac

Man, this Anor Londo sniper duo is tough. Big guys and the bat demon things are cake, but these dude are knocking me off the edge like it's their job.

it IS their job.

best way is to just blitz the right one, and roll dodge his arrow until he draws his sword then hopefully by then you'll be close enough to be out of the left archers range and just kill the right one with whatever means you use

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game! Took about 60 hours and I was level 95.
Question about the plot. Is there there a good story analysis/discussion anywhere?

What is the purpose of linking the fires and why did Gwyn go to link the fires in the first place? And why was he an undead at the end? Seems strange for a deity to just die

shaneskim

I can't break down Titanite items anymore with Frampt, is this a bug or is there any requirement I need to meet? I'm on NG++

Im sure you've already tried but are they in your held inventory rather than the bottomless box? If they are in the latter, they wont show for Frampt (unlike at the blacksmiths)

Tomodachi

Just beat the game! Took about 60 hours and I was level 95.
Question about the plot. Is there there a good story analysis/discussion anywhere?

What is the purpose of linking the fires and why did Gwyn go to link the fires in the first place? And why was he an undead at the end? Seems strange for a deity to just die

He "linked" the fire so that the age of fire (the age of gods) could continue. He basically kindled the fire with his body to strengthen the flame once more (i'm convinced that the "link the fire" expression isn't what the developers had in mind in the japanese version... it's more like a kindling to me, like the one you do with normal bonfires). In doing so he had to sacrifice himself and burn, and turn undead in the process. so you killed him and burned in its stead to let the age of gods continue once more in another cycle... are you sure that was a good thing? ;) On your next playthrough I suggest you to kill the four kings before placing the lordvessel on the altar, you might be surprised...

NEO0MJ

He "linked" the fire so that the age of fire (the age of gods) could continue. He basically kindled the fire with his body to strengthen the flame once more (i'm convinced that the "link the fire" expression isn't what the developers had in mind in the japanese version... it's more like a kindling to me, like the one you do with normal bonfires). In doing so he had to sacrifice himself and burn, and turn undead in the process. so you killed him and burned in its stead to let the age of gods continue once more in another cycle... are you sure that was a good thing? ;) On your next playthrough I suggest you to kill the four kings before placing the lordvessel on the altar, you might be surprised...

Was going to do that. But why did the gods need the fire? Will their powers disappear without it?

NEO0MJ

Yes

I'm still convinced that those 3 are not gods but more like got the powers of a god when they found the Lord Souls.

Aha. But it seems a bit strange for Gwyn to do it himself at first, especially since it seems he knew it would kill him, considering he left most of his possessions at Anor Londo.

Tomodachi

Aha. But it seems a bit strange for Gwyn to do it himself at first, especially since it seems he knew it would kill him, considering he left most of his possessions at Anor Londo.
Yeah, there's something somewhere (an item probably) that says that he was so afraid to lose its powers and let another age start that he decided to sacrifice himself.
There's a lot of unclear points anyway but I don't think they have much importance. In theogonies and mythology in general there's never much logical sense (and dark souls is heavily inspired by greek mythology imo, I noticed a lot of similarities between Gwyn/his sons and Zeus/his sons), we just need to know what the story tells us, no point in endless speculation. The intro movie says it all about the ages, it's "the way of the world" and it has no need for logical explanation, it just is :)

You can sup Titans for Dragons and Lords for Olympians and you pretty much got Greek mythology, they even gave Gywn Zeus's lighting bolt.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, there's something somewhere (an item probably) that says that he was so afraid to lose its powers and let another age start that he decided to sacrifice himself.
There's a lot of unclear points anyway but I don't think they have much importance. In theogonies and mythology in general there's never much logical sense (and dark souls is heavily inspired by greek mythology imo, I noticed a lot of similarities between Gwyn/his sons and Zeus/his sons), we just need to know what the story tells us, no point in endless speculation. The intro movie says it all about the ages, it's "the way of the world" and it has no need for logical explanation, it just is :)

Guess so. I mean it was obvious they never intended to make the story clear.

You can sup Titans for Dragons and Lords for Olympians and you pretty much got Greek mythology, they even gave Gywn Zeus's lighting bolt.

True. They even had a Dragon betray the rest with Seath.

Styles

The locked up wizard in the Duke's Archive disappeared cause I didn't rescue him from behind bars. That's meant to happen right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom