• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

I just got the Lordvessel, is there a particular recommended order I should tackle the remaining areas?

Magic character -> Dukes Archives first
Want to join Darkwraiths -> You have to kill Four Kings before placing the lordvessel. Also a good idea to get the very large ember if you don't have it already.
Faith build -> Tomb of Giants first
You want to see where the fuck you're going in Tomb of Giants -> Lost Izalith first

You know you can buy one from the merchant in sens fortress right?
I thought so, but atm I'm kind of fixated of what you can do before ringing both bells. Honestly I was sick of being invaded by people with full Havels and lightning weapons in the Parish, so I wondered what I could legitimately do to ruin their day and what was the best gear I could get at this stage.

On that note, I just did a run down TotG and Leeroy does not appear before you have the Lord Vessel. I feel like I've done this before, but it's so traumatising I probably blocked it out. I already ruined a similar run to TotG for Rhea because when I got back I forgot she gets killed if you don't speak to her relatively soon. Since I'm rocking a faith character she was kind of important, but I also wanted the Sanctus early, but Leeroy didn't show up. This time I did at least remember to buy Rhea's goods before she felt a Claymore+8 through her guts :)

It works even without the required stats.
Some spears don't seem to suffer from the lack of stat when 2 handed. In one of my SL1 runs I was able to use the lightning spear with the proper animation even without the required stats.

Edit: not only spears. It seems that when you have multi stats requirements, you won't stagger if one (half?) of the requirements is met.
This will come in handy, buffing hosts as a phantom etc. With my low-level faith co-oper character I'm currently using. Ruining invaders day, or at least giving them more trouble than they thought they'd get in the Parish with their OP gear. :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Fuck the Stray Demon, it's giving me a surprisingly hard time.

I thought its AOE attack was fire-based, so I had no idea how it did so much damage and kept kicking my ass. But turns out it's a magic-based attack and I have so little magic defense I'm dead in three hits.

Exr

Have been doing nothing but invasions recently with my strength character at level 75 and found a new favorite weapon combo. Lightning Pike in one hand, Man Serpent greatsword in the other. Parrying dagger+Pyro glove with chaos fireball as backup. So much fun poking at people with the pike only to smash through their blocks with the Serpent sword.

Sullichin

Fuck the Stray Demon, it's giving me a surprisingly hard time.

I thought its AOE attack was fire-based, so I had no idea how it did so much damage and kept kicking my ass. But turns out it's a magic-based attack and I have so little magic defense I'm dead in three hits.

When you're in front of him stay close so you can easily get behind him. His AOE doesn't hit very far behind him, so hug dat ass

J-Roderton

Just made it back to Blighttown. Oh, how I have not missed it. One step closer to getting Quelaag's soul for my sword at least.

Anyone know any good areas to put a summon sign down for around the 90 soul level range? I still have yet to help anyone out with co-op and I've tried since I've had the game.

Sullichin

Just made it back to Blighttown. Oh, how I have not missed it. One step closer to getting Quelaag's soul for my sword at least.

Anyone know any good areas to put a summon sign down for around the 90 soul level range? I still have yet to help anyone out with co-op and I've tried since I've had the game.
All of the DLC bosses, four kings, gwyn

J-Roderton

All of the DLC bosses, four kings, gwyn

Awesome. Thanks.

And are there any items I should get in Blighttown? I can't remember if anything of importance is down there or not, besides the firekeeper soul that is down there. I already have all the katanas so I don't need to leap of faith to get that one again.

Sullichin

Awesome. Thanks.

And are there any items I should get in Blighttown? I can't remember if anything of importance is down there or not, besides the firekeeper soul that is down there. I already have all the katanas so I don't need to leap of faith to get that one again.

Power Within
Shadow Set
Wanderer's Set
Eagle Shield
Quelaana for pyro spells / upgrades

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't believe not a single bonfire in the Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith is available as a warp location, how silly is that?

SJRB

Gold Member
Daughter of Chaos warp point. From there you can take the elevator down to Demon Firesage's room.

That is true, but it's such a hassle haha. I wish the first bonfire in Lost Izalith was a warp point.

O well, no big deal. I really like the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith. When I first entered the area and saw that army of Taurus and Capra Demons I thought I would never ever make it past the first area. Such a great sense of progression when you are able to literally take down an army of Taurus Demons [one by one still, truth be told].

J-Roderton

I was successfully summoned today for the first time. Helped out someone after I beat Quelaag myself. Praise the sun!

Headed into Great Hollow for the first time. Wasn't bad at all until you get to the big ass mushroom people at the bottom. I got one shotted from one of those dicks. Probably going to try to get into Ash Lake tomorrow. Dragon covenant seems pretty cool to get into until I get back to the Darkmoons.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was successfully summoned today for the first time. Helped out someone after I beat Quelaag myself. Praise the sun!

Headed into Great Hollow for the first time. Wasn't bad at all until you get to the big ass mushroom people at the bottom. I got one shotted from one of those dicks. Probably going to try to get into Ash Lake tomorrow. Dragon covenant seems pretty cool to get into until I get back to the Darkmoons.

I'm going to join the Darkmoon as well, Forest Hunters is giving me a hard time since the pvp doesn't scale with level [meaning my level 60 could get summoned to fight a level 120].

I haven't won a single battle I got summoned into so far.

J-Roderton

I'm going to join the Darkmoon as well, Forest Hunters is giving me a hard time since the pvp doesn't scale with level [meaning my level 60 could get summoned to fight a level 120].

I really hated the Pvp for the cat covenant. Always outmatched by one guy or more. Terrible pvp time. Darkmoon invasions, on my part, have always been much better. Plus, the guilty must pay the price! haha. Hate getting invaded right before a boss fight and have to put up with some asshole. Feels good man. And I like Anor Londo a lot better than the forest anyway.

Oh, and the player that I helped out today dropped 10 humanity and a slab for me. That's never happened. Pretty nice of them.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member

Yeah I ground out the three kills for the Ring of Fog but it was me getting one-shotted 80% of the time. My advice is to chill for a bit when you get summoned in the hopes that someone else from the covenant comes in to help you. Just having another target for intruders is super helpful.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I ground out the three kills for the Ring of Fog but it was me getting one-shotted 80% of the time. My advice is to chill for a bit when you get summoned in the hopes that someone else from the covenant comes in to help you. Just having another target for intruders is super helpful.

Getting the ring requires some effort though. It's next on my things-to-do list.

Anyway, just beat Bed of Chaos. It was crazy easy, took me two tries. Dat poise man, dat poise. Umbasa be praised.

Anyway, did pretty much everything in the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, including killing you-know-who. Rest in peace, my friend. I shall wield your shield in your honor.

Babiou

Neo Member
I heard that killing rats from the Depths is the best way to farm humanities (I need 30 i guess to open the Lost Izalith shortcut with Chaos Servant Covenant)... but is it really the fastest way? I killed so many rats and got that snake ring but humanity drop rate is still kinda low... or do I lack of patience ?

Arjen

I heard that killing rats from the Depths is the best way to farm humanities (I need 30 i guess to open the Lost Izalith shortcut with Chaos Servant Covenant)... but is it really the fastest way? I killed so many rats and got that snake ring but humanity drop rate is still kinda low... or do I lack of patience ?

Try to have some humanity in your counter as well, increases the drop rate.

Unless you need the shortcut for some sort of low level or specific run I honestly wouldn't bother with it. The time it takes to individually give the humanity one by one is an absolute pain in the ass.

at SL75 you can easily be in Lost Izalith any way.

PSA: Don't ever go AFK while human. quit and go to title screen (but turn off television otherwise the big title screen will cause burn in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO27ILDe-58

also a nice quote from youtube that i feel is important:

Having 99 soft Humanity gives you +109 to all physical resistances, +108 Magic resistance, and +106 Flame and Lightning resistance, which is more total resistances than any fully upgraded chest armor piece in the game. So if you want to hold your own in PvP, yes, having 99 soft Humanity is important.

Babiou

Neo Member
Unless you need the shortcut for some sort of low level or specific run I honestly wouldn't bother with it. The time it takes to individually give the humanity one by one is an absolute pain in the ass.

at SL75 you can easily be in Lost Izalith any way.

I'll go directly there then - was hesitating between this one and New Londo. Beat the Crystal Caves already. But thanks!

J-Roderton

Holy hell. I make it past the two gargoyles and painting guardian assholes only to get stuck at the stupid archers in Anor Londo. I have always made fun of my buddies for getting stuck there and I have never had a problem until now. This is ridiculous. I've always made it past in one try now they are kicking my ass. I guess that's what I get.

I also can't remember how to get the rotating platform there to go all the way down to Gwyndolin. Anyone help me out with what I need to do?

Johnas

Holy hell. I make it past the two gargoyles and painting guardian assholes only to get stuck at the stupid archers in Anor Londo. I have always made fun of my buddies for getting stuck there and I have never had a problem until now. This is ridiculous. I've always made it past in one try now they are kicking my ass. I guess that's what I get.

I also can't remember how to get the rotating platform there to go all the way down to Gwyndolin. Anyone help me out with what I need to do?

When it's at the level where you can access Ornstein and Smough, just run down the stairs on it as far as they go, that'll be level with the room with the bonfire.

J-Roderton

When it's at the level where you can access Ornstein and Smough, just run down the stairs on it as far as they go, that'll be level with the room with the bonfire.

Wow, I guess you're right. I was thinking it went even lower. Thanks. About to get my pvp on.

Booshka

Haha that was impressive, I'm curious were you trying to get Kirk to summon or were you just running away?

I was just running, I wasn't sure if he wanted to get more phantoms in or just finish the fight, so I ran back to the bonfire where the signs are. When he started buffing up to fight, I obliged.

tafer

Ugh... terrible pvp tonight for me. Pretty much everyone tele-backstabbed me (lag), hit only 1 counter and I faced guys who wouldn't stop spamming their attacks. Naturally, I couldn't backstab and played like an ass.

Good times.

krakov

I was just running, I wasn't sure if he wanted to get more phantoms in or just finish the fight, so I ran back to the bonfire where the signs are. When he started buffing up to fight, I obliged.

Dreadedcone has recently become my favorite souls streamer. The early part of the fight with all kinds of spam is almost as good as the clutch parry.

Also there is a thread about you on gamefaqs, heh.

Soulhouf

This is much easier if you are a +3 Darkwraith, drain 10 humanity per grab. I've done this a few times, and I also like to kick them around the level a bit, then kill them in a very weird out of the way spot, so they have no idea where there bloodstain is when they respawn.

On a different note, I have been partaking in some awesome Dark Souls PvP shenanigans with people on Twitch.tv. The best game mode that one of the Broadcasters came up with is Guerilla Warfare, it's essentially 2v2 hide and seek/kill. The only rules are no Divine Blessings, and no Elizabeth Mushrooms, everything else is fine, TWoP, Hornet Ring, Healing with Estus/Humanity/Spells, WoG spam, Dark Bead, you name it, it's allowed. It makes it more chaotic and random if everything but the cheapest healing items is allowed, and battles last longer with players healing at will. The broadcaster has a few highlights up on youtube. One of them with Gravelorded Royal Wood as an Arena, and then probably the best spot for good matches, The Depths, where I pull off a ridiculous comeback at the end.

Gravelord Royal Wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlE4bTbzXZk

The Depths, with insane comeback by yours truly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGehNkiVcHg

That was awesome, especially the one in the Depths with the incredible comeback. GG sir!
What was your level?

I had been gravelorded a couple of times in the Royal Woods and that place is by far the most dangerous for that. Seeing it in video like this with 2 invaders on top of that, the guy would be a fuckin champion if he managed to get through.

Is it possible to cut off Seath's tail in NG++? I've tried twice now and even if only attack his tail, he dies before the tail gets cut off.

Sullichin

Yeah, the new areas have great gravelord potential. I love getting gravelorded in the ooacile dungeon, the black phantom chained prisoner is a beast. Too bad it's pretty rare on PC. Nice parry Booshka ;)

Is it possible to cut off Seath's tail in NG++? I've tried twice now and even if only attack his tail, he dies before the tail gets cut off.

Yep, first time I did it I was at least in NG++. Draw him into the center of the room and bait his breath attack so he breaks the crystal himself. Only attack the tip of his tail.

Booshka

Dreadedcone has recently become my favorite souls streamer. The early part of the fight with all kinds of spam is almost as good as the clutch parry.

Also there is a thread about you on gamefaqs, heh.
Yea, Guerilla Warfare matches are awesome mostly because of the absolute chaos and spell/pyro spam. It gets ridiculous fast. I also saw that thread about me on gamefaqs, guy sent me some insane hatemail after I ruined his little gank party in the Township. I've done it a few more times to other ganksquads, I've gotten pretty good at the strategy, even so far as to use Power Within while I cheese Manus for even more damage.
That was awesome, especially the one in the Depths with the incredible comeback. GG sir!
What was your level?

I had been gravelorded a couple of times in the Royal Woods and that place is by far the most dangerous for that. Seeing it in video like this with 2 invaders on top of that, the guy would be a fuckin champion if he managed to get through.
We were all in Level 120 range, I was just on a Quality build with Fire tempest as my only spell, because it is amazing in Guerilla warfare, and for fighting gankers.
Yeah, the new areas have great gravelord potential. I love getting gravelorded in the ooacile dungeon, the black phantom chained prisoner is a beast. Too bad it's pretty rare on PC. Nice parry Booshka ;)

Thanks, it was pretty much my only option, and I was pretty sure he was gonna do the running R1 with the katana, so glad I pulled it off. It's funny how I went through the effort to switch to red tearstone while getting parried, when I didn't really need to. 2H ripostes on a Quality Claymore usually give me 920-1020 damage depending on the enemy defense, but it's like muscle memory now to switch to red tearstone if I get owned by a backstab or parry.

Soulhouf

Yea, Guerilla Warfare matches are awesome mostly because of the absolute chaos and spell/pyro spam. It gets ridiculous fast. I also saw that thread about me on gamefaqs, guy sent me some insane hatemail after I ruined his little gank party in the Township. I've done it a few more times to other ganksquads, I've gotten pretty good at the strategy, even so far as to use Power Within while I cheese Manus for even more damage.

We were all in Level 120 range, I was just on a Quality build with Fire tempest as my only spell, because it is amazing in Guerilla warfare, and for fighting gankers.

Thanks, it was pretty much my only option, and I was pretty sure he was gonna do the running R1 with the katana, so glad I pulled it off. It's funny how I went through the effort to switch to red tearstone while getting parried, when I didn't really need to. 2H ripostes on a Quality Claymore usually give me 920-1020 damage depending on the enemy defense, but it's like muscle memory now to switch to red tearstone if I get owned by a backstab or parry.

To be honest, the most impressive thing, even if it's useless is the red tearstone switch when getting parried. Also that chase was pretty impressive and that spectacular jump around 2:00. It was kind of you to bring the fight near the bonfire to make getting the blood stain painless and the host who played very fair fight in return.
That fight was overall one of the best I've ever seen.

BTW if you want some help to fight gankers on PS3, just PM me. I have some SL120 characters and I will come back to continue my quality build once I'm done with Demon's Souls SL1 run.

Booshka

To be honest, the most impressive thing, even if it's useless is the red tearstone switch when getting parried. Also that chase was pretty impressive and that spectacular jump around 2:00. It was kind of you to bring the fight near the bonfire to make getting the blood stain painless and the host who played very fair fight in return.
That fight was overall one of the best I've ever seen.

BTW if you want some help to fight gankers on PS3, just PM me. I have some SL120 characters and I will come back to continue my quality build once I'm done with Demon's Souls SL1 run.

That'd be nice, I have a 120 STR/Faith character on PS3, that is pretty much completely built, but Reah glitched out on me so I didnt get any of her spells. Too lazy to NG+ to get spells, I'll do it eventually. I also have a Quality Build in process on PS3, it's essentially an exact copy of that one you saw on 360, but I need to finish leveling (SL 108) and upgrade all my gear. Haven't had the desire to finish either builds.

I've spent so much time making builds legit in Dark Souls, that now I have one I'm really enjoying on 360, I'd rather just keep PvPing with it. I'm also nearly done with my first playthrough of Demon's Souls, so I've been putting time into that on PS3. I'd be interested in arranging some co op though, and help each other finish builds. I'll PM you on PS3 if I'm in the mood to do it, and not playing Demon's.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just started playing this on PC. Why didn't I hear anything about the exploration? It's magnificent!

I'm playing as a Knight, but stripped down almost all of his armor. Put on some light armor and a shield, wich seems to be the best thing ever in this game. I want to be able to roll, and naked knight dude does just that.
I'm now fighting my way through the undead burg, or something like that. I went up when I arived at Lordran, anyhow. :p
Found a crossbow and great scott when that fire barrel came down from the stairs it scared me better then any horror game or movie ever has, haha! Discovering how to beat that wasn't so difficult, but my was it satisfying. Level 15 btw, should really spent more points into stamina. I'm also glad to have bought the residence key from that weird undead merchant dude, mde me find some nice treasure chests.
That black bomb really saved my hide...
...and then I died.

Just figured out how to do the jumping attack, now my problems with those spearundeaddudes are gone! :D

Dyno

Kills the Black Knight in Undead Burg - gets the Black Knight Sword!
Kills the Black Knight in the tower by the dragon - gets the Black Knight Greatsword!

Ahh Yeah!

I decided to use up my cracked red eye orbs whenever I find them, to get some invasions going on. I did one and won, then another and lost, then I invaded a guy wearing Xanthos set and Havel's Shield! We bow, start fighting, but it seems his heart isn't in it. I get a backstab on him but the damage is so low that I feel I won't be able to win this fight.

He pulls out Avlyn and starts firing at me but I'm dodging around. I think he was trying it out to see if it was any good for PvP. After about 50 shots with Avlyn he shows me an area in the church that has an invisible floor! Could be useful for later.

Then he waves at me and jumps off a high ledge, killing himself and granting me the win! I was getting 4,000 in the invasions, that guy gave me over 40,000!

Right off the bat I went to Ozwald and bought Karmic Justice. I've never used that spell before. This is turning out to be a great run and very different than my first two characters.

Broseybrose

The BEST way to farm humanity is in the Dukes Archives Prison Tower, which you can easily re-access from the Dukes Archive Bonfire once youve escaped the Prison. At the bottom of the stairs where you find Logan is a room filled with weird blue enemies.

Each run takes about 3 minutes and can yield 4 or more humanity.

Sullichin

The BEST way to farm humanity is in the Dukes Archives Prison Tower, which you can easily re-access from the Dukes Archive Bonfire once youve escaped the Prison. At the bottom of the stairs where you find Logan is a room filled with weird blue enemies.

Each run takes about 3 minutes and can yield 4 or more humanity.

That's a good spot but if you have the DLC, the chasm of the abyss is by far the best way to farm humanity. also, the skeleton babies in the tomb of giants, although its a bit more risky than dukes archives.

Babiou

Neo Member
That's a good spot but if you have the DLC, the chasm of the abyss is by far the best way to farm humanity. also, the skeleton babies in the tomb of giants, although its a bit more risky than dukes archives.

Nice. I'll try Duke's archive. For yours, still got to beat Artorias in DLC I guess? Looking also online to get a titanite slab... thing is I spoiled my only one from stray demon somehow... need my Uchigatana to go 15!

Wowbagger

Nice. I'll try Duke's archive. For yours, still got to beat Artorias in DLC I guess? Looking also online to get a titanite slab... thing is I spoiled my only one from stray demon somehow... need my Uchigatana to go 15!

There is a slab in a chest behind a waterfall where you fight Kalameet. You have just enough time to run over and grab it before the dragon shows up. It's a good idea to put on a ring of sacrifice before attempting this, as you will very likely die horribly trying to get out of there.

Sullichin

Yeah, you have to beat Artorias and get past the next DLC area.

RE: titanite slab, in addition to what Wowbagger said you can try farming the darkwraiths in new londo ruins.

Also, the shortcut to izalith really isn't worth it at all unless you wanted to
save Solaire

RedSwirl

Decided to do some cuts from art book scans:

iPhone 5
murBirW.jpg

iPhone 5
qPNpVwk.jpg

16:10 (1920 x 1200)
5KrTC0v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.