• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

maomaoIYP

Yea, Guerilla Warfare matches are awesome mostly because of the absolute chaos and spell/pyro spam. It gets ridiculous fast. I also saw that thread about me on gamefaqs, guy sent me some insane hatemail after I ruined his little gank party in the Township. I've done it a few more times to other ganksquads, I've gotten pretty good at the strategy, even so far as to use Power Within while I cheese Manus for even more damage.

We were all in Level 120 range, I was just on a Quality build with Fire tempest as my only spell, because it is amazing in Guerilla warfare, and for fighting gankers.

I must try this gank squad ruining thing some day. What's the advantage of a Quality build?

Soulhouf

I must try this gank squad ruining thing some day. What's the advantage of a Quality build?

That kind of build have more options in choosing weapons and you can take full advantage of weapons with C/D|C/D scaling such as Claymore, Zweihander, Washing Pole, Composite Bow etc...
C|C weapons in particular are very powerful with this build, it's like powerful A single stat scaling weapon and in general these weapons have high base damage and when you add dex and str modifiers it increases significantly.

maomaoIYP

That kind of build have more options in choosing weapons and you can take full advantage of weapons with C/D|C/D scaling such as Claymore, Zweihander, Washing Pole, Composite Bow etc...
C|C weapons in particular are very powerful with this build, it's like powerful A single stat scaling weapon and in general these weapons have high base damage and when you add dex and str modifiers it increases significantly.

AH, I see, many thanks. Never occurred to me at all!

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I've recently been playing Dark Souls on my desktop at my friends house, going through the game while he watches and gives me advice on what to do. In his rekindled appreciation of the game, he's been playing it on his 360 when I'm gone. When I went over the other day and saw him playing it, I fired up the PC version to make a comparison between the two, with both of our characters facing some castle gates. After switching between them, he stated they looked the same, while I said the 360 version was a bit fuzzy and jagged. We went back and forth between them, and he insisted they were exactly the same, telling me my computer is trash because the graphics aren't any better than the 360 version.

My desktop has an i5-2500K CPU, a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU, and 8GB RAM (it was 1080p/60fps, but I don't remember the other settings). His 360 is the Slim model. Both were running on his 47" HDTV. These pictures were taken on my phone, so they aren't real life quality, and aren't aligned perfectly.

360 said:
http://i3.minus.com/iovvhlx6aaJpn.jpg
iovvhlx6aaJpn.jpg
PC said:

From my observations, while both games were using the same textures, his were a tad muddy, and much more jagged. That combination made his character look pretty bad as he panned around it, and things in the distance weren't as sharp as I was used to them being. When he turned around and ran toward the tower with the blacksmith, I noticed some sort of grainy filter on the tower walls as he approached, making it seem as if the surface was moving. When I did the same, I just saw a normally rendered wall.

While I don't have any better pictures of my own, these two I found online sum up my viewing experience of the two versions:

I get plenty of framerate issues when a ton of stuff is happening onscreen or if I'm panning across the massive vistas, and there's quite a bit of minor screen tearing. He admitted to framerate issues when I saw it happen while he was running through a ghost forest. In regards to the graphics, I think he's either full of shit, or he really can't tell the difference between them.

As for the game itself, I really like it. I'd give it a 9/10 if it weren't for the PC version being messed up by the developers.

Sullichin

I've recently been playing Dark Souls on my desktop at my friends house, going through the game while he watches and gives me advice on what to do. In his rekindled appreciation of the game, he's been playing it on his 360 when I'm gone. When I went over the other day and saw him playing it, I fired up the PC version to make a comparison between the two, with both of our characters facing some castle gates. After switching between them, he stated they looked the same, while I said the 360 version was a bit fuzzy and jagged. We went back and forth between them, and he insisted they were exactly the same, telling me my computer is trash because the graphics aren't any better than the 360 version.

My desktop has an i5-2500K CPU, a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU, and 8GB RAM (it was 1080p/60fps, but I don't remember the other settings). His 360 is the Slim model. Both were running on his 47" HDTV. These pictures were taken on my phone, so they aren't real life quality, and aren't aligned perfectly.

From my observations, while both games were using the same textures, his were a tad muddy, and much more jagged. That combination made his character look pretty bad as he panned around it, and things in the distance weren't as sharp as I was used to them being. When he turned around and ran toward the tower with the blacksmith, I noticed some sort of grainy filter on the tower walls as he approached, making it seem as if the surface was moving. When I did the same, I just saw a normally rendered wall.

While I don't have any better pictures of my own, these two I found online sum up my viewing experience of the two versions:

I get plenty of framerate issues when a ton of stuff is happening onscreen or if I'm panning across the massive vistas, and there's quite a bit of minor screen tearing. He admitted to framerate issues when I saw it happen while he was running through a ghost forest. In regards to the graphics, I think he's either full of shit, or he really can't tell the difference between them.

As for the game itself, I really like it. I'd give it a 9/10 if it weren't for the PC version being messed up by the developers.

Are you using Durante's DSFix? It's required to unlock the resolution (and the framerate, and other niceties). And if the TV is just 720p, the difference won't be as noticeable. It's kind of hard to tell from that picture, but the PC one looks sharper to me.

Also, with Radeon cards, you'll want to up all your settings to max in the catalyst control panel, the GPUs have a tendency to stay in low power mode and result in poor performance. If you do that and use DsFix things should run much smoother.

Dyno

Played a little last night and Sunbro'ed some jolly cooperation in the Lower Undead Burg. The landing just before the dogs that connects the entrance by the bridge and the Undead Burg bonfire was a great place to get summoned. Seems like most players want to take on the Capra Demon with two allies. I went from SL 28 to 32 and was still getting picked up every one or two minutes.

I'm going to stick there until they stop summoning me or once I get 10 sunlight medals.

They increased the drop rate from the Darkwraiths in New Londo with the last patch didn't they? I was just down there for the ember and I got 2 slabs in a row with only 12 humanity, no serpent ring.

Played a little last night and Sunbro'ed some jolly cooperation in the Lower Undead Burg. The landing just before the dogs that connects the entrance by the bridge and the Undead Burg bonfire was a great place to get summoned. Seems like most players want to take on the Capra Demon with two allies. I went from SL 28 to 32 and was still getting picked up every one or two minutes.

I'm going to stick there until they stop summoning me or once I get 10 sunlight medals.
Definately. People always want help with Capra, either at the start of the area or the little bridge before the fog door are the usual places to summon.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Are you using Durante's DSFix? It's required to unlock the resolution (and the framerate, and other niceties). And if the TV is just 720p, the difference won't be as noticeable. It's kind of hard to tell from that picture, but the PC one looks sharper to me.

Also, with Radeon cards, you'll want to up all your settings to max in the catalyst control panel, the GPUs have a tendency to stay in low power mode and result in poor performance. If you do that and use DsFix things should run much smoother.

Yeah, first thing I did was install the fix, then turned off AA after the gameplay screen was a box in the corner. The TV itself is 1080p. I did lower the resolution to 1600x900 to see if the framerate would improve, but the game looked absolutely hideous that way, so I decided to deal with the framerate and screen-tearing. I'll mess with the Catalyst settings next time I play.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Trying to to get Black Dragon Kalameet's tail. But it's raised in the air. Seems like my weapon won't even hit it.
Getting its tail alone is very hard, because only one or two of its moves actually lower its tail far enough for you to hit it, and even then you only have a very short window in which to do so.

I'd recommend summoning someone to help you. People summon for both Artorias and Kalameet outside the Artorias room.

What does it actually do? I was going to use it for Tomb in my latest run, but totally forgot about it by the time I actually went through it.
It makes an enemy turn on your side for a short time period. It has a unique animation, then the enemies eyes glow.

Messing around with it in Undead Burg I did it on a regular hollow and he went immediately running to the two spear guys near the stairs to the merchant and killed them in two slashes! :D

Sayah

Getting its tail alone is very hard, because only one or two of its moves actually lower its tail far enough for you to hit it, and even then you only have a very short window in which to do so.

I'd recommend summoning someone to help you. People summon for both Artorias and Kalameet outside the Artorias room.
Thanks for the info. :)

Soulhouf

I just discovered that the cursed version of Artorias Great Sword doesn't need the int/fai requirement to be used properly provided you meet the str and dex requirement and use it 2H, which makes it a good weapon for a quality build actually.

Edit: forget what I just said, it actually staggers when it hits.

So I've started a SL1 run, and doing pretty good so far with my +15 Reinforced Club. I really could use a fire/lightning version too but I stupidly killed the undead merchant.

I'm at S&O and haven't fought them in quite a while so a bit rusty, died 3 times already always on Ornstein second trying to use pyromancy when a smack of the club would probably be better.

In the Demon Ruins I got one shot by Ceaseless Discharge, now I feel like I'm kind of screwed there because I always have huge problems melee with him so always go for the easy kill, now I've messed that up. Going to try and go for the easy kill again, but I've never ever had any luck doing that other than the first time when you take the gold trimmed set. Any tips?

Soulhouf

In the Demon Ruins I got one shot by Ceaseless Discharge, now I feel like I'm kind of screwed there because I always have huge problems melee with him so always go for the easy kill, now I've messed that up. Going to try and go for the easy kill again, but I've never ever had any luck doing that other than the first time when you take the gold trimmed set. Any tips?

The easiest way is to fight him near where you found the Gold Hemmed set.
Stay near the wall and when you see him preparing his attack run and he will smash the wall and miss you, giving you 2-3 seconds to do 1 or 2 hits to his arm.
Rinse and repeat.

The hardest part is to get there. Good luck!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I've started a SL1 run, and doing pretty good so far with my +15 Reinforced Club. I really could use a fire/lightning version too but I stupidly killed the undead merchant.

I'm at S&O and haven't fought them in quite a while so a bit rusty, died 3 times already always on Ornstein second trying to use pyromancy when a smack of the club would probably be better.

You can always get a Battle Axe from Andre, and then turn those lightning/fire instead. +15 normal is not a great idea at SL1 because you have no stats to take advantage of the stat scaling. That, or you can always go with your Hand Axe, which does less damage per hit but is faster than the Reinforced Club.

O&S were scary, but they took tons of damage from Combustion/Great Combustion, so that's how I brought them down. I don't think I used my club at all.

Ceaseless Discharge was one of the harder bosses for me at SL1. I did what was suggested above; lure him out to a field, then strafe + roll (or ninja flip with DWGR) the vertical attack, then two-hand the club and then R2x2 combo. He could oneshot me too, especially when he did the damn two-hit attack (which I don't think I ever managed to dodge properly), but after a bunch of tries I eventually got him down.

If you're going to go for the cheese method, I found using Flash Sweat and just holding up your shield + gold hemmed set does wonders for blocking his long-ranged fire attack, if he bothers to use it on you while he's walking in.

And then 789shadow experienced the agony of losing 2000 something souls.
Don't worry, later enemies give that much on single kills.

...And then you can experience the agony of losing 20k or 50k souls. :D

You can always get a Battle Axe from Andre, and then turn those lightning/fire instead. +15 normal is not a great idea at SL1 because you have no stats to take advantage of the stat scaling. That, or you can always go with your Hand Axe, which does less damage per hit but is faster than the Reinforced Club.

O&S were scary, but they took tons of damage from Combustion/Great Combustion, so that's how I brought them down. I don't think I used my club at all.

Ceaseless Discharge was one of the harder bosses for me at SL1. I did what was suggested above; lure him out to a field, then strafe + roll (or ninja flip with DWGR) the vertical attack, then two-hand the club and then R2x2 combo. He could oneshot me too, especially when he did the damn two-hit attack (which I don't think I ever managed to dodge properly), but after a bunch of tries I eventually got him down.

If you're going to go for the cheese method, I found using Flash Sweat and just holding up your shield + gold hemmed set does wonders for blocking his long-ranged fire attack, if he bothers to use it on you while he's walking in.
I used Flash Sweat and had on stone armour legs and body. I thought that would be enough tbh, but he one shot me. I've never been able to dodge his attacks, so I guess this is as good a time as any to learn!

Just beat S&O, great feeling to do it. It took 7 tries, and exactly like you said I used combusion/great combustion for Ornstein, taking out Smough first just two-handing the club and using charcoal resin. Great Combustion ripped Ornstein apart with Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragon Ring!

The easiest way is to fight him near where you found the Gold Hemmed set.
Stay near the wall and when you see him preparing his attack run and he will smash the wall and miss you, giving you 2-3 seconds to do 1 or 2 hits to his arm.
Rinse and repeat.

The hardest part is to get there. Good luck!
Thanks, will try this tomorrow don't think I can handle it tonight after S&O!

maomaoIYP

Trying to to get Black Dragon Kalameet's tail. But it's raised in the air. Seems like my weapon won't even hit it.

I've done it many times solo. There's two attacks it does that you can get a hit on the tail. From mid range, it will sometimes fly up and swoop towards you. You need to roll to the side, then roll directly under it's tail, then roll away. If done correctly it does a downwards tail smash which will miss and then you can hit it.

From close range when it stands on its hind legs to do the breath attack you can just run behind and hit the tail. Make sure you watch the position of its hands, because it tells if its doing the breath attack or the telekinesis attack.

I used Undead Rapport for the first time ever, completely useless(?) but funny nonetheless!

This is how you use Undead Rapport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uKQ-bXkmo

tafer

I've done it many times solo. There's two attacks it does that you can get a hit on the tail. From mid range, it will sometimes fly up and swoop towards you. You need to roll to the side, then roll directly under it's tail, then roll away. If done correctly it does a downwards tail smash which will miss and then you can hit it.

From close range when it stands on its hind legs to do the breath attack you can just run behind and hit the tail. Make sure you watch the position of its hands, because it tells if its doing the breath attack or the telekinesis attack.

This is how you use Undead Rapport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uKQ-bXkmo

Absolutely amazing.

Wowbagger

I used Flash Sweat and had on stone armour legs and body. I thought that would be enough tbh, but he one shot me. I've never been able to dodge his attacks, so I guess this is as good a time as any to learn!

It's a very safe way to beat him once you figure it out. What I do is hug the wall before the narrow cliffside path to the armour set, about halfway back, then start running across the field as soon as he makes sounds signalling another attack is coming. That is the key -- don't think your i-frames will save you, but use his entire wind-up animation to run out of the AOE. If you run early enough, you can dodge the two-hit attack as well.

BTW, too late now, but for the future: If you aggro him with a dagger or arrow instead of picking up the armour set, he will go back to his dormant state should you die.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I've beat a few enemies by accident. The guy in the bottom of the tower before the first bridge boss who can one-shot you fell off the stairs onto a ledge below, then walked right off when I targeted him. And several times I was fighting those blue dragons after that elevator in dragonland, and they flew right into the canyon and died.

That big dragon murdered me, though. Lost 5,400 souls, motherfuc*er.

It's a very safe way to beat him once you figure it out. What I do is hug the wall before the narrow cliffside path to the armour set, about halfway back, then start running across the field as soon as he makes sounds signalling another attack is coming. That is the key -- don't think your i-frames will save you, but use his entire wind-up animation to run out of the AOE. If you run early enough, you can dodge the two-hit attack as well.

BTW, too late now, but for the future: If you aggro him with a dagger or arrow instead of picking up the armour set, he will go back to his dormant state should you die.
That is a really good thing to know actually, thanks.

And several times I was fighting those blue dragons after that elevator in dragonland, and they flew right into the canyon and died.
When farming dragon scales, I absolutely hate that!

ParityBit

So I am in the fortress and am really enjoying it. The multiple ways you can die are astounding! That being said ...
I found a lightning spear, but I have a +9 Itachi. I found that the spear is not as good as my sword at the moment. Should I go upgrade the spear (with whatever material I need) or should I just plow through with the Itachi? I remember hearing how awesome the spear was.

I do love the fortress though! So far :)

Soulhouf

So I am in the fortress and am really enjoying it. The multiple ways you can die are astounding! That being said ...
I found a lightning spear, but I have a +9 Itachi. I found that the spear is not as good as my sword at the moment. Should I go upgrade the spear (with whatever material I need) or should I just plow through with the Itachi? I remember hearing how awesome the spear was.

I do love the fortress though! So far :)

Forget about that weapon. It's a normal spear ascended to lightning.
Lightning weapons completely loose scaling, so they are awesome for builds with low stats, but for a typical build where you rise your offensive stats, nothing will beat a normal weapon maxed out.
So, stick with your katana, it will serve you well.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Finally defeated that
Taurus basterd in the Undead Burg.
Funny thing is, the moment I rememberd being able to do a strike while falling down, I beat him in one try. My experience with the game is already filled with "oooooh" moments.

But yeah, the game is quite hard. :p
Never feels unfair though, with the exception of a spearman who could strike through walls...

ParityBit

Forget about that weapon. It's a normal spear ascended to lightning.
Lightning weapons completely loose scaling, so they are awesome for builds with low stats, but for a typical build where you rise your offensive stats, nothing will beat a normal weapon maxed out.
So, stick with your katana, it will serve you well.

OK I will then! I kept getting killed by the stupid
Lizard dude right across from the top bridge after passing through the rock drop room. I would run across and try to fight him but for some reason he always wins. I just want to make it to the damn fire pit!

OK I will then! I kept getting killed by the stupid
Lizard dude right across from the top bridge after passing through the rock drop room. I would run across and try to fight him but for some reason he always wins. I just want to make it to the damn fire pit!
Use a bow, soul arrows or just run straight through and round to either kill him or kick him off the ledge, or ignore him and walk through the fog door.

ParityBit

Use a bow, soul arrows or just run straight through and round to either kill him or kick him off the ledge, or ignore him and walk through the fog door.

Oh. I didn't think of dragging him back to the bridge and forcing him off. I will give that one a try I think! Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I can not see him from across the bridge to use the box. I have to run across the bridge (and swinging axes) before I can see him. Hes in a corner.

Sullichin

Oh. I didn't think of dragging him back to the bridge and forcing him off. I will give that one a try I think! Thanks for the advice.

Edit: I can not see him from across the bridge to use the box. I have to run across the bridge (and swinging axes) before I can see him. Hes in a corner.

If you can run past him, then don't even worry about going back and killing him. He's actually easy to run past if you don't really stop on the bridge. You can still stop between the first and second blade and make it past without him knocking you off. Once you're outside, look for messages that will show you where the bonfire is

ParityBit are you talking about the final bridge or the one below it? It sounds like the latter.

If it's the bridge just after the boulder room and dart trap passage, the one with four axes very close together you run through in one go - snakeman to the right and stairs with snake sorcerer to the left. - Take out the one on the right first just like you did the other snake guys. Easiest way is parry/ripost or you can block/kick him down the drop behind him (worth exploring too, it's not a dead drop). Then run up and take out the sorcerer he shouldn't be aggro'd till you approach the stairs, where as if you go that way first the snakeman will follow you from behind and trap you.

ParityBit

ParityBit are you talking about the final bridge or the one below it? It sounds like the latter.

If it's the bridge just after the boulder room and dart trap passage, the one with four axes very close together you run through in one go - snakeman to the right and stairs with snake sorcerer to the left. - Take out the one on the right first just like you did the other snake guys. Easiest way is parry/ripost or you can block/kick him down the drop behind him (worth exploring too, it's not a dead drop). Then run up and take out the sorcerer he shouldn't be aggro'd till you approach the stairs, where as if you go that way first the snakeman will follow you from behind and trap you.

Yeah that one! I was trying it with the spear though, so maybe I will go back to my Katana and see what happens.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah that one! I was trying it with the spear though, so maybe I will go back to my Katana and see what happens.
The spear is good in narrow hallways like that since it wont hit the walls(hitting walls drains extra stamina) with its thrusting attack. Just a basic block/attack strategy should work fine. Just gotta learn when its a good time to attack and when he's going to continue striking.

That said, your katana should still be able to do the trick just fine as well.

I started this SL1 run afresh because I did a few things that I wanted to 'undo' - not just Ceaseless Discharge, but also forgot about Kirk in the Depths and I killed Lautrec thinking I'd use his ring, but I've never used it since that loss of a ring slot is really crippling IMO. I already use Havels all the time, so losing the other ring slot really limits you. Would also much rather have the Dingy set than the FAP ring since you can get another later on any way.

Had a weird moment in the Catacombs with Leeroy. I summoned him and he immediately jumps down off the ledge and runs towards the opposite end of the area - i.e. away from Pinwheel's fog gate. I'm still on the ledge and the bonewheel skeletons seem to have formed a pact with him or something because they all completely ignore him and come for me - 6 bonewheel skeletons all revving up below me. Luckily I have Fireball equipped (but wanted it for Pinwheel), I carefully take out all 6 in 4 well-timed shots. Go to find where Leeroy is because he's not killing anything.

The Necromancer with the two archers is strolling out in the area with the exploding skulls, take him out. Then his skelly friends, then the Black Knight is at the bottom of the ladder standing there - He must've dropped down in the main large area and followed Leeroy? Stopping there because they can't climb ladders. I had some VERY close calls with the Black Knight, but take him out and Leeroy is spazzing out on one of the two areas where the floor gives way! He was also about as useful as fart in a jacuzzi in the Pinwheel fight. Thanks for nothing pal!

SJRB

Gold Member
Decided to do some cuts from art book scans:

I don't even recognize the second area, is it the Undead Parish?

Also, my Design Works still hasn't arrived damnit, it's been almost a month now. It shouldn't take a month to receive a package, unless it's from the moon or something.

ParityBit

The spear is good in narrow hallways like that since it wont hit the walls(hitting walls drains extra stamina) with its thrusting attack. Just a basic block/attack strategy should work fine. Just gotta learn when its a good time to attack and when he's going to continue striking.

That said, your katana should still be able to do the trick just fine as well.

Weee! made it to the fire, but now Its time to try and go back and do stuff I skipped! Although I am mostly lost. Haha

Ceaseless Discharge SL1 GET!

wowbagger - I tried throwing a dagger to aggro him but each time (of 3) he never followed me the full way to the fog gate and would attack as normal. I tried running both along the front and back passages (errr, you know what I mean!) The 4th time I just took the gold hemmed set and ran, that first hit missed me completely which has never happened to me before.

ParityBit

I helped 3 people in a row fight
The Iron Golem
and I have 61k Souls. I wonder if I should go back to the fire and level up? I am level 49 currently.

Wowbagger

Ceaseless Discharge SL1 GET!

wowbagger - I tried throwing a dagger to aggro him but each time (of 3) he never followed me the full way to the fog gate and would attack as normal. I tried running both along the front and back passages (errr, you know what I mean!) The 4th time I just took the gold hemmed set and ran, that first hit missed me completely which has never happened to me before.

Weird. Well, I always fight him in the large open space, and then using a dagger or something is a good idea so you can be 100% ready when the first attack comes.

About your SL1 run: Might want to use the FAP ring later on. IIRC, the stamina boost combined with the Balder shield gives you just enough stamina to block some attacks that you otherwise can't. Don't think I could've beaten O&S without that combo. I did my run before the DWGR nerf, though, so didn't have to use Havel's ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom