• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwupp

how am i supposed to get on that pillar to get to the asylum?
all YT vids just show a simple roll .. my roll is missing a few meters. :(

Booshka

You lose all of your embers, so if your weapon is +10 or lower you'll need to get them again to continue upgrading your weapons. If they're +11 you'll be able to max them out still. You might want to farm the knights in the kiln of the first flame for titanite chunks. You can kill a firekeeper for the soul and bring your flask to +6 before NG+ (max is +7 but you can't do that in one playthrough)

Unless you are farming for Elemental Chunks I always suggest farming New Londo Darkwraiths for Titanite Chunks. I can farm all of the Darkwraiths down there in about 5 mins or less, and usually average 3-4 chunks per run. The chances of getting a Slab are also much higher than it used to be, so it makes it worth it. It doesn't take that much longer than farming the 1 or 2 Black Knights in Kiln that drop Titanite Chunks, and lucking into a Slab in New Londo is amazing. I have also had wild farm runs where I got 7 chunks and a Slab, or 2 Slabs in one run, shits crazy sometimes.

just beat gwyn with no sheild and no parries for the first time. i think i've run out of stuff to do in the game, at least for now. i've never really been into speed-runs. honestly, i'm surprised that i kept coming back to the game after the SL1 no-upgrade run.

now the unbearable wait for dark souls 2 begins.

The rolling off the lift one? Don't try it with any amount of souls/humanity you want to keep/use, it's devilish!
yes, that's the one. the timing and placement took a while, so it really didn't end up saving me any time.

Sullichin

just beat gwyn with no sheild and no parries for the first time. i think i've run out of stuff to do in the game, at least for now. i've never really been into speed-runs. honestly, i'm surprised that i kept coming back to the game after the SL1 no-upgrade run.

now the unbearable wait for dark souls 2 begins.

yes, that's the one. the timing and placement took a while, so it really didn't end up saving me any time.

How did you do Four Kings with no upgrades?

How did you do Four Kings with no upgrades?
that was easily the hardest part:

almost done with my SL1 no-upgrade run. i finally managed to beat 4 kings. would have done that a lot quicker, but i had decided to stick to base weapons on all of the required bosses, and only use the stronger weapons that could be found (occult club and giant blacksmith hammer) on the optional bosses.

the only thing that ended up working for 4 kings was the dagger (of all weapons) + 4 gold pine resins, power within for the first 2 kings and a green blossom for the 3rd and 4th. since the resin adds flat damage, the fast attack of the dagger gave me just enough DPS to squeak out the fight after numerous tries. had to burn through all 20 flasks, but it did the trick.

just manus and kalameet left before i finish off gwyn.

Sullichin

that was easily the hardest part:

So you beat Four Kings with a +0 dagger / pine resin / power within. That's pretty nuts! I struggled like hell with a normal SL1 playthrough on them and I'm also stuck on them on my deprived run (SL6, +15 club, no pyromancy). Nice going. Kalameet and Manus with unupgraded gear is really impressive as well, those must have been some very long fights.

So you beat Four Kings with a +0 dagger / pine resin / power within. That's pretty nuts! I struggled like hell with a normal SL1 playthrough on them and I'm also stuck on them on my deprived run (SL6, +15 club, no pyromancy). Nice going. Kalameet and Manus with unupgraded gear is really impressive as well, those must have been some very long fights.
thanks. the pine resin could help on your deprived run, if you don't mind farming some.

i did use the giant blacksmith's hammer on kalameet and manus. kalameet seemed doable without it, as he is easy enough to dodge...but it was just taking so long and i didn't really have the patience for it. i was still satisfied since i stuck with +0 weapons for all required bosses.

Jarsonot

Finally beat it!

It's a good thing this game is so utterly fantastic, because the ending is pretty underwhelming. Shitty, even.

either ending

Jarsonot

Dark Souls never ends

Heh, well I do agree with that - right now deciding on whether or not to start a new character with a different play style (dex/bow) or continue my dude in NG+. Can't... Put it... Down...

But you get my meaning about the ending, no? After such an epic adventure I do like to see a bit more of an ending. Maybe a return to certain people/places showing how my actions have changed the world or something. Hell I'd have even liked some static shots of cool locations during the credits.

What I got was a 20(?)-second long cutscene and then the obligatory credits roll.

Like I say, the game is so damn good I can easily look past it, as I'm looking to just jump back in, but damn. Shitty shitty ending.

Edit: now I have that Bowling for Soup "High School Never Ends" song stuck in my head, but with Dark Souls instead. =)

Sullichin

Heh, well I do agree with that - right now deciding on whether or not to start a new character with a different play style (dex/bow) or continue my dude in NG+. Can't... Put it... Down...

But you get my meaning about the ending, no? After such an epic adventure I do like to see a bit more of an ending. Maybe a return to certain people/places showing how my actions have changed the world or something. Hell I'd have even liked some static shots of cool locations during the credits.

What I got was a 20(?)-second long cutscene and then the obligatory credits roll.

Like I say, the game is so damn good I can easily look past it, as I'm looking to just jump back in, but damn. Shitty shitty ending.

Yeah, first time I beat the game I got the other ending,
which is even shorter
and I just laughed.

tafer

Finally beat it!

It's a good thing this game is so utterly fantastic, because the ending is pretty underwhelming. Shitty, even.

either ending

Completely agree, even Demon's Souls had a much better ending(s) and that consisted of 10 seconds with a narrator.

Soulhouf

Finally beat it!

either ending

You're like "What did just happen? WTF". It's completely in the Dark Souls style.
I loved it because it was so unexpected, so daring, so unique. You will never forget that ending and there are a reason why.
So brilliant.

So O&S. I get there and I'm like "Grrrreeeeaaaat. This should be fun." Big hits from them matched by big hits from me and the big bertha goes down. "This will be ok. Lemme watch the lancer mourn his fallen friend. Oh, he's sucking its soul. Oh, he got bigger." I die after a few hits. Damn.

Is there an order I should kill them in to make it easier?

survivor

Banned
So O&S. I get there and I'm like "Grrrreeeeaaaat. This should be fun." Big hits from them matched by big hits from me and the big bertha goes down. "This will be ok. Lemme watch the lancer mourn his fallen friend. Oh, he's sucking its soul. Oh, he got bigger." I die after a few hits. Damn.

Is there an order I should kill them in to make it easier?

Killing Ornstein first should be easier.

Killing Ornstein first should be easier.
Did some research and did the opposite for the ring. Amazing chest ahead afterwards.

So now with this lordvessel, should I give it up right now or hang on to it for a while? Am I going to Tomb of the giants or through demon ruins to that once golden gate next?

J-Roderton

Started back up on NG+ and I'm stuck on Capra. I killed that fool after two tries first time around, now I can't last more than five seconds in there. This game is infuriating me!!!!

Is it cowardly to hide when invaded? I wouldn't think so because I feel the act of invading is pretty cowardly in itself but that's just me. But I was just invaded while in New Londo Ruins and I stayed in a narrow section where I can see the intruder coming. He never did. After a while, I advanced across a narrow ledge to a staircase and found a chest. I waited up there, then he went back home hehe. This automatic with a time limit, or can one leave one their own? Something tells me he waited by a group of those large knights and ghosts for me...

J-Roderton

Is it cowardly to hide when invaded? I wouldn't think so because I feel the act of invading is pretty cowardly in itself but that's just me. But I was just invaded while in New Londo Ruins and I stayed in a narrow section where I can see the intruder coming. He never did. After a while, I advanced across a narrow ledge to a staircase and found a chest. I waited up there, then he went back home hehe. This automatic with a time limit, or can one leave one their own? Something tells me he waited by a group of those large knights and ghosts for me...

I think there's an item invaders can use to go back to their world. Not sure. I've usually just been the one being invaded. And I don't think there is a time limit.

I think there's an item invaders can use to go back to their world. Not sure. I've usually just been the one being invaded. And I don't think there is a time limit.
Oh ok. I have an item to send them back but I wanted to fight. Of course on my own terms. I wasn't about to hunt him down in an area I hardly explored.

Jarsonot

So I started a dex build character and so far I'm hating it.

Started a hunter, built my dex up to 40, end is mid 30s, touched nothing else.

Got the Pharis bow, and the Balder side sword. Sword is +14, bow is 10.

Now you may have the opinion that there are better dex weapons, and maybe there are - but these scale well and are clearly meant for dex builds so I went with them.

My problem is that I'm coming off of finishing a play through with my STR character and now I feel just incredibly weak. I can definitely potshot some things with the bow, and that's got me through some tough spots, but as for melee...

My thinking the dex vs strength is a trade-off of speed and hard-hitting, right? I'm just not seeing it. I've GOT to be playing this wrong. I know I can't go in and be all melee crazy like I was with my strength guy, but there are situations where melee seems the only option and I feel really weak.

So any advice? Should I be focusing on bleed, or practicing my riposte, or rolling more? I TRY to "stick and move"...

And as far as PVP goes I'm just horribly horribly outclassed almost every time it seems.

Blah. Frustrated, hoping some of you who rock the dex builds can give me some tips.

Just got a Ghost Blade drop from the first wailing ghost in New Londo, only the second time I've ever got one, and the first time I farmed it. I'm at a low enough level to make it a pretty decent weapon to at least for a while. \o/

It's not cowardly to hide or invade, but it depends how you want to play it. A lot of invaders (who aren't using BB-glitched/fully upgraded gear) come in for a duel or to hunt you down straight away.

Personally I prefer to play a little cat and mouse with them - this pisses a lot of them off, which leads to them making hasty mistakes - which is when I go in for the kill *evil grin*

Don't ever feel you have to bow and do all that shit, they invaded - if they bow, go for a backstab!

Just got a Ghost Blade drop from the first wailing ghost in New Londo, only the second time I've ever got one, and the first time I farmed it. I'm at a low enough level to make it a pretty decent weapon to at least for a while. o/

It's not cowardly to hide or invade, but it depends how you want to play it. A lot of invaders (who aren't using BB-glitched/fully upgraded gear) come in for a duel or to hunt you down straight away.

Personally I prefer to play a little cat and mouse with them - this pisses a lot of them off, which leads to them making hasty mistakes - which is when I go in for the kill *evil grin*

Don't ever feel you have to bow and do all that shit, they invaded - if they bow, go for a backstab!

Thanks. I've come to enjoy the tense feeling of waiting for the red glow of an invader. I may never win the battle, but it is fun.

SJRB

Gold Member
Painted World of Ariamis is such a terrifying area for some reason, it scares the hell out of me. I might be stuck here forever.

Also - everytime I'm near a bonfire and the flames go out my heart skips a beat haha.

Soulhouf

Painted World of Ariamis is such a terrifying area for some reason, it scares the hell out of me. I might be stuck here forever.

Also - everytime I'm near a bonfire and the flames go out my heart skips a beat haha.

That level has a Demon's Souls vibe to it. For some reason I love-hate that area and sometimes I completely skip it.

2AdEPT

Now you may have the opinion that there are better dex weapons, and maybe there are - but these scale well and are clearly meant for dex builds so I went with them.

My problem is that I'm coming off of finishing a play through with my STR character and now I feel just incredibly weak. I can definitely potshot some things with the bow, and that's got me through some tough spots, but as for melee...

My thinking the dex vs strength is a trade-off of speed and hard-hitting, right? I'm just not seeing it. I've GOT to be playing this wrong. I know I can't go in and be all melee crazy like I was with my strength guy, but there are situations where melee seems the only option and I feel really weak.

So any advice? Should I be focusing on bleed, or practicing my riposte, or rolling more? I TRY to "stick and move"...

And as far as PVP goes I'm just horribly horribly outclassed almost every time it seems.

Blah. Frustrated, hoping some of you who rock the dex builds can give me some tips.

get the washing pole and pump faith to 30...use darkmoon blade or sunlight blade miracles from gwyndolin ....you will be doing your 500 damage but will be 3 times faster than you were with str.....ironically I feel like you if I go to str as there are less choices for the fatih or sorcery buffs.

never spend on str when you can two hand.....gives you the room to pump fatih then dex.

pretty much what 2AdEPT said...dex really shines with weapon buffs, since they are usually flat damage added per attack. faster attack speed with sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon will destroy anything very quickly.

Dyno

I did most everything I want to do with my game and then I jumped into the DLC portal. The guardian fell easily and after a wee bit of exploring the Royal Wood I called it a night.

Any advice or warnings for going through the new areas?

Defuser

oh man, I managed to beat 4kings at SL20 on my first try before beating the gargoyles. I went through alot of trouble to get prepared such as BK halberd+4, power within,and stone armor. I join the darkwraith covenant and now I just stay around the parish and invade players lol.

Edit:
I'm feeling half guilty invading those poor guys at the parish. They don't stand a chance against my equipment.

Sullichin

oh man, I managed to beat 4kings at SL20 on my first try before beating the gargoyles. I went through alot of trouble to get prepared such as BK halberd+4, power within,and stone armor. I join the darkwraith covenant and now I just stay around the parish and invade players lol.

Edit:
I'm feeling half guilty invading those poor guys at the parish. They don't stand a chance against my equipment.

If you invade in Sen's or Anor Londo you won't feel as guilty. At that point, anything goes. If you're invading in the burg/parish, even an experienced player won't stand a chance against a freaking BK Halberd if it's the beginning of their NG and they're rocking +5 weapons or less :p

Playing some of my PS3 characters again. It's really difficult to go back to the blurriness/shit framerate of the console version after playing it so much on PC, but it's so active.

Been grinding for a Balder Shield in the Parish for about an hour without any luck, feels like I'm in Groundhog Day or something! Got so many shards, enough leggings to kit Quelaag out twice over, one BSS, but still no shield. Grrrr.

Even got a Trident from the Channeller - One question on that: Will the buff still work even if you don't have stats? The R2 animation still works but I'm guessing the buff won't without the required INT.

Arjen

Been grinding for a Balder Shield in the Parish for about an hour without any luck, feels like I'm in Groundhog Day or something! Got so many shards, enough leggings to kit Quelaag out twice over, one BSS, but still no shield. Grrrr.

Even got a Trident from the Channeller - One question on that: Will the buff still work even if you don't have stats? The R2 animation still works but I'm guessing the buff won't without the required INT.

You know you can buy one from the merchant in sens fortress right?

Soulhouf

It works even without the required stats.
Some spears don't seem to suffer from the lack of stat when 2 handed. In one of my SL1 runs I was able to use the lightning spear with the proper animation even without the required stats.

Edit: not only spears. It seems that when you have multi stats requirements, you won't stagger if one (half?) of the requirements is met.

I just got the Lordvessel, is there a particular recommended order I should tackle the remaining areas?

Up to you really. I usually finish up all non-Lordvessel bosses after getting it, Sif/Catacombs/Painted World. You can also start the DLC as well, but it's also good to at least pick up the Very Large Ember in New Londo before starting the unlocked areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom