• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

-NeoTB1-

I'm thinking about returning to this game. I got it on 360 earlier this year, and I think I got as far as the
Gaping Dragon
before I quit due to frustration. I had intended on going back after a day's rest, but as these things go I started another game and forgot all about this gem. Well, reading through some of the OT here has rekindled my interest and I'm about to pick up where I left off.

It's almost like Christmas all over again. :D

How is the DLC? 15 bucks seems really steep, especially when the game was purchased for 10. Does the matchmaking addition work well?

The DLC is rather short (depending how good you are), but the places are pretty awesome (IMO), the bosses are some of my favorites and there are tons of great items there too. Matchmaking is rather novel imo, but co-oping the new areas are totally worth it.

Violater

I'm thinking about returning to this game. I got it on 360 earlier this year, and I think I got as far as the
Gaping Dragon
before I quit due to frustration. I had intended on going back after a day's rest, but as these things go I started another game and forgot all about this gem. Well, reading through some of the OT here has rekindled my interest and I'm about to pick up where I left off.

It's almost like Christmas all over again. :D

I used a summon to get rid of him I got frustrated too before that.

Gonna go get some souls in the
Darkroot Garden

Jarsonot

Playing as a beastly strong dude on my 2nd character is awesome! Played a Mage first time through, and it's just so satisfying now being able to just beat things down!

Beat 3 bosses last night, got my demon machete to +15 and my manserpent great sword to +13. Ran to tomb of giants, got to the lantern in the dark, grabbed the silver covetous ring (or whatever it's called), eventually got stuck on the environment and killed by baby skeletons. Decided to jaunt over to list izalith for the sunlight maggot helm (for tomb of giants, of course) and called it a night.

Running with (slowly being upgraded) elite knight set frees up ring space so I don't have to have havel's equipped with the heavier armor...

I love this game

Peace Tea

Almost at the end of Lost Izalith. Without bothering with an in depth comparison, all i can say is man what great dungeon.

So much content was missed out on during my 1st play through, since I chose to use "the shortcut".

How do I get to lost Izalith? I've tried the Tomb of giants and the darkness crippled me. I have the skull lantern but that leaves me defenseless. I could really use that sunlight maggot.

Edit: nevermind

I just don't know what the stipulations/requirements are for getting it.

Edit 2: I entered the painted world and after defeating the
undead dragon
, there was another beast sleeping at the end of the bridge. I attacked several times and nothing. Didn't dish damage nor did I disturb it. I decided to two-hand and R2 attack it and it stood up... but didn't aggro. Several slashes later I gave up and dropped down to the lower bridge. Was that a glitch or is that thing just a glorified doorway that needs a few wacks to "open" and let you through?

Akito

How do I get to lost Izalith? I've tried the Tomb of giants and the darkness crippled me. I have the skull lantern but that leaves me defenseless. I could really use that sunlight maggot.

Edit: nevermind

I just don't know what the stipulations/requirements are for getting it.

Edit 2: I entered the painted world and after defeating the
undead dragon
, there was another beast sleeping at the end of the bridge. I attacked several times and nothing. Didn't dish damage nor did I disturb it. I decided to two-hand and R2 attack it and it stood up... but didn't aggro. Several slashes later I gave up and dropped down to the lower bridge. Was that a glitch or is that thing just a glorified doorway that needs a few wacks to "open" and let you through?
It's a shortcut
to the boss

It's a shortcut
to the boss
I take it I get down there via the first fog gate? My souls are currently in the boss arena... anything I need to fear if I go through the upper fog gate and make my way to the boss the long way? I've got 50k+ in there. I feel like I need to go that way so I can have an exit back out to explore without having to completely leave. Unless I can enter the painting again.

Chris R

So is there a preferred first timer build? And any other tips? Rented this once on PS3 and got as far as that first little town in the single night I played it, I've been that far on my PC too (without dying sofar though...).

Ok, the painted world was fantastic. The way the map came together, the hidden areas and items to reach other areas, the enemies ranging from fodder to decent threats and all that jazz felt like the epitome of the entire game. I also got the sense that that particular level was the most similar to Demon's Souls based on the few hours I've played of it. Is that a proper assumption?

Ok, the painted world was fantastic. The way the map came together, the hidden areas and items to reach other areas, the enemies ranging from fodder to decent threats and all that jazz felt like the epitome of the entire game. I also got the sense that that particular level was the most similar to Demon's Souls based on the few hours I've played of it. Is that a proper assumption?

Yeah I think that is a pretty fair call.

Yeah I think that is a pretty fair call.
It's going to be nice having that game to go through once I finish this. I got it a week before Xmas '11 and started it but the wife got me Dark for Xmas that year. I abandoned it to play the newer game. I was also put off by the hub world and level selection compared to this game's continuous world but since the painted world breaks that mold and I enjoyed the piss out of it, I am now excited to dive in.

So is there a preferred first timer build? And any other tips? Rented this once on PS3 and got as far as that first little town in the single night I played it, I've been that far on my PC too (without dying sofar though...).

First timer build? Find a weapon type that you like the moveset of, shield that has 100% physical block and put shitloads of souls into VIT/END and STR/DEX

krakov

Game is pretty damn easy if you focus on vit/end early on. There are many great weapons with low requirements.

Dorrin

Just had to post that I finally got 1000/1000. I'd been close for awhile but finally decided to knock it out, got the final achievements last night. What a ride, 10 characters and 284 total hours played. Can't believe how much I've played this over the past year. Those are MMO type hours for me on one game. For me the top game of this generation and one of the best I've ever played in my lifetime.

Now time to try out some Walking Dead and Far Cry 3 and the rest of 2012 that I mostly missed.

yamo

They don't re-spawn which is a good thing.
Edit: I need to do some soul farming, and suggestions I am currently at
Blittown about to fight the chaos witch

Thank god, I realized this shortly after posting that message! Would have been infuriating to have to deal with them over and over again. :p

Arjen

Just had to post that I finally got 1000/1000. I'd been close for awhile but finally decided to knock it out, got the final achievements last night. What a ride, 10 characters and 284 total hours played. Can't believe how much I've played this over the past year. Those are MMO type hours for me on one game. For me the top game of this generation and one of the best I've ever played in my lifetime.

Now time to try out some Walking Dead and Far Cry 3 and the rest of 2012 that I mostly missed.

Congrats dude, got it myself to yesterday. Such a good feeling isn't it.

Vortex566

I'v only got three bosses to go including the DLC. I'm finding the normal monsters harder to kill then the bosses. I'm a STR build, but I'm going to try a DEX build next.

schwupp

i´m totally stuck at sif - his attacks are so fucking random. sometimes they hit sometimes they don't sometimes they are undodgeable ... WTF

additionally absolute no summon signs are around this area (pc) :(

any hints for the sif fight?

Raide

i´m totally stuck at sif - his attacks are so fucking random. sometimes they hit sometimes they don't sometimes they are undodgeable ... WTF

Sticking close to him can help. Just make sure you have enough stamina to block in case it all goes wrong. :D

There are two easy ways: a shield with enough poise to block Sifs attacks (avoid the tripple spin) or back off until Sif does the spin/change direction attack and go under it.

Sullichin

Roll twice through his big swing combo, get underneath him, enjoy the framerate dropping to 15 and go to town.

I can probably help you, what SL?

Man, I hate getting invaded. I'm not well versed in pvp etiquette, haven't researched tactics nor have I built my character around that gameplay. Some will suggest playing offline but that takes away some of the magic of the game.

I guess that's the one thing I hope is "easier" about DS2. No more pvp punishment for going human.

Man, I hate getting invaded. I'm not well versed in pvp etiquette, haven't researched tactics nor have I built my character around that gameplay. Some will suggest playing offline but that takes away some of the magic of the game.

I guess that's the one thing I hope is "easier" about DS2. No more pvp punishment for going human.

Wouldn't that make going human, you know, absolutely pointless? It's a risk/reward system

Wouldn't that make going human, you know, absolutely pointless? It's a risk/reward system
They can add a story element for going human. Like certain fog doors impassable unless human, determine your relationship/interactions with npcs, increased npc invasions while human, even higher of an item drop rate etc. I'm 70 plus hours in and I'm still just enjoying the world and soaking it all in. Now it's fun when I'm invaded, my heart rate increases and I try to hide, but I'm always outmatched because these effers are built for it, I'm not.

ParityBit

They can add a story element for going human. Like certain fog doors impassable unless human, determine your relationship/interactions with npcs, increased npc invasions while human, even higher of an item drop rate etc. I'm 70 plus hours in and I'm still just enjoying the world and soaking it all in. Now it's fun when I'm invaded, my heart rate increases and I try to hide, but I'm always outmatched because these effers are built for it, I'm not.

I know what you mean! It's fun .... but right now I have 3 humanity and am not changing. I get attacked pretty quick usually. I change when I need help with bosses and stuff.

Soulhouf

When you're human you can summon players. To balance that, you can get invaded as well.
I think the system is brilliant and well thought except for some wacky covenant such as Gravelord servants...

Hollow -> jolly cooperation -> earn humanity -> become human -> get invaded/summon help -> win and get more humanity/lose and lose your humanity -> and so on

-NeoTB1-

Well, I did indeed go back to Dark Souls the other day. I was able to take care of
Gaping Dragon
on my second try. No summons. I've been trying to go through the whole game without using summons or humanity. We'll see if I cave at some point. :p

Gonna backtrack to kill a certain PITA black knight that I avoided earlier, and then on to Blighttown!

ZeroCoin

When you're human you can summon players. To balance that, you can get invaded as well.
I think the system is brilliant and well thought except for some wacky covenant such as Gravelord servants...

Hollow -> jolly cooperation -> earn humanity -> become human -> get invaded/summon help -> win and get more humanity/lose and lose your humanity -> and so on

Totally agree with the brilliance of the system. I've been sticking with hollow form recently while I do a little more exploring, since as long as I can get back to my death spot I don't have to worry about losing all of my souls. I have been trying to help other guys out a lot in order to get more sunlight medals to advance in the warrior of sunlight covenant. The lightning spear miracle has been a huge help to my cleric, and I'm hoping the upgraded version will help even more.

I'm also trying to cut the tail off the hellkite dragon, but I'm not having much luck yet. I've tried buying a lot of arrows, but I can't tell if I'm actually doing damage or not. I've also tried luring him onto the bridge and attacking his tail, but again I can't tell how much damage I'm actually doing. Just need to keep at it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, I did indeed go back to Dark Souls the other day. I was able to take care of
Gaping Dragon
on my second try. No summons. I've been trying to go through the whole game without using summons or humanity. We'll see if I cave at some point. :p

Gonna backtrack to kill a certain PITA black knight that I avoided earlier, and then on to Blighttown!

The game's been pretty do-able for me without summoning so far. Seems like having somebody else with me would feel a bit like cheating. I'm still somewhat early in the game, though. We'll see if I'm quite as confident about things later on!

tafer

Gaping Dragon

That's how I played during my first game: No summons, no magic and no guides. (Except if I ever get stuck, and I did)

To be honest, I didn't like it that much. The no "guides allowed" meant that I was going to be under equipped for the most part of the game and the no magic translated into a low dps for pretty much everything. Naturally, this resulted in a series of incredibly frustrating boss fights. (I think it took me like 20 attempts to take down Ornstein and Smough, and I took Smough first)

However, if this is not your first run, I think it is a fantastic challenge.

-NeoTB1-

The game's been pretty do-able for me without summoning so far. Seems like having somebody else with me would feel a bit like cheating. I'm still somewhat early in the game, though. We'll see if I'm quite as confident about things later on!

Nice! We can share in our inevitable misery together. :lol

That's how I played during my first game: No summons, no magic and no guides. (Except if I ever get stuck, and I did)

To be honest, I didn't like it that much. The no "guides allowed" meant that I was going to be under equipped for the most part of the game and the no magic translated into a low dps for pretty much everything. Naturally, this resulted in a series of incredible frustrating boss fights. (I think it took me like 20 attempts to take down Ornstein and Smough, and I took Smough first)

However, if this is not your first run, I think it is a fantastic challenge.

It is my first play through, but I'm not being quite as strict as you were. I do occasionally look things up if I feel like I'm really stuck somewhere. However, I have kept myself spoiler free for the most part in regards to location of the best weapons/item, boss strategies, recommended order of areas to finish, etc. I've only gotten really frustrated twice that I can remember, but both times all it took was some time off to think over my strategy. I love how you really feel rewarded when overcoming those obstacles.

tafer

It is my first play through, but I'm not being quite as strict as you were. I do occasionally look things up if I feel like I'm really stuck somewhere. However, I have kept myself spoiler free for the most part in regards to location of the best weapons/item, boss strategies, recommended order of areas to finish, etc. I've only gotten really frustrated twice that I can remember, but both times all it took was some time off to think over my strategy. I love how you really feel rewarded when overcoming those obstacles.

No doubt, it is extremely rewarding to overcome a nasty obstacle, specially if it felt "impossible" at first. With that said, I think there is a point where the challenge not longer rewards the "invested" frustration.

And just to be clear, I only have myself to blame for the misery I experienced. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are among my favorite games of the generation (DeS is my game of the generation), but from time to time, my stubbornness really got the best of me (and the game).

tafer

I have to admit that it IS exhilarating when getting invaded... up until swords start swinging.

So I need tips and tactics from you experienced folk.

For some reason, I never got into Dark Soul's pvp. Even considering it has everything to be better than Demon's Soul, it just wasn't, at least for me.

With that said, I guess this general tips may come in handy:
- Don't suing your weapon like an idiot, you'll get countered.
- Watch out for backstabs, most fights will end with one. (Reason why I'm not a big fan of DaS's pvp)
- If it is laggy (something common), avoid trying to counter/backstab, unless you are feeling lucky. (With lag, it's all about luck)
- Avoid slow rolls. (Equipment weight at 50% or more of your capacity)
- Learn the advantages/disadvantages of your weapons. For example: some weapons work better on corridors and others on open spaces, etc.
- Honor is nice, but not common or even encouraged. In other words, don't expect it. However, do return a salute, it's the least you can do.
- Keep the pressure up!, Don't let them heal. (Unless you need to heal yourself too)
- When invading, the map and its enemies are your allies, use them!
- When invaded, avoid places where the map will complicate things more than necessary and watch out for potential traps.

For some reason, I never got into Dark Soul's pvp. Even considering it has everything to be better than Demon's Soul, it just wasn't, at least for me.

With that said, I guess this general tips may come in handy:
- Don't suing your weapon like an idiot, you'll get countered.
- Watch out for backstabs, most fights will end with one. (Reason why I'm not a big fan of DaS's pvp)
- If it is laggy (something common), avoid trying to counter/backstab, unless you are feeling lucky. (With lag, it's all about luck)
- Avoid slow rolls. (Equipment weight at 50% or more of your capacity)
- Learn the advantages/disadvantages of your weapons. For example: some weapons work better on corridors and others on open spaces, etc.
- Honor is nice, but not common or even encouraged. In other words, don't expect it. However, do return a salute, it's the least you can do.
- Keep the pressure up!, Don't let them heal. (Unless you need to heal yourself too)
- When invading, the map and its enemies are your allies, use them!
- When invaded, avoid places where the map will complicate things more than necessary and watch out for potential traps.

Thanks. A tip for myself is do not go human when I first start exploring an area. Once I know the dangers and enemies and where my escape routes are, then it'd be wise, I suppose.

schwupp

any tips for four kings?

i tried to stack up def and stay close - but i seem to deal so little dmg :( 96 with one attack (lightning spear from sens fortress).
should i get a new weapon for this fight?

i decided to start again and do a few things i never ended up trying:

- no shield
- walking back up tomb of the giants/catcacombs
- walking back up the great hollow
- entering blighttown properly through the depths
- dark anor londo
- shortcut to seath

i can't seem to stop playing this game.

any tips for four kings?

i tried to stack up def and stay close - but i seem to deal so little dmg :( 96 with one attack (lightning spear from sens fortress).

taking a normal weapon to +15 or a black knight weapon to +5 should help.

tafer

i decided to start again and do a few things i never ended up trying:

- no shield
- walking back up tomb of the giants/catcacombs
- walking back up the great hollow

i can't seem to stop playing this game.

Madness!

And never heard of a shortcut to Seath. I'll research a little bit.

I thought Lautrec
killed the Firekeeper once you went to Blighttown?
Just got back from ringing the second bell, haven't rung the first, nor did the Gaping Dragon but have been to the Depths. I got back to Firelink and everything is hunky dory with Lautrec.

- shortcut to seath
The rolling off the lift one? Don't try it with any amount of souls/humanity you want to keep/use, it's devilish!

any tips for four kings?

You should definately be on a better weapon by now. If you're not using magic, summoning others that do - works wonders for this fight (as the clue is given with Beatrice). I think fire also works well (?) Two hand your weapon and mash, roll to evade when needed.

Moaradin

I thought Lautrec
killed the Firekeeper once you went to Blighttown?
Just got back from ringing the second bell, haven't rung the first, nor did the Gaping Dragon but have been to the Depths. I got back to Firelink and everything is hunky dory with Lautrec.

I think he
kills her after you get your second fire keeper soul, which is in blighttown

I think he
Second firekeeper soul? Wow that's pretty obscure of them! This run I got the one in the Parish, but on my way out of Blighttown decided not to go for the one there because I was carrying a hefty amount of souls after going there only to farm large titanite.

Still. love. this. game!

Jarsonot

Beat (5 bosses)
Manus, Khalameet, Nito, Sif, and 4 Kings
today.

Just a few things to mop up before I go for the last boss. Any tips for things to do before I go to new game +?

I upgraded all the weapons & armor I care about pretty high, and I'm thinking I'm gonna go through and kill all the NPCs before I tackle the last guy, but maybe I'm not thinking of something important or devious?

Styles

Invaders in the Royal Woods are so cheap. They wait for you behind those giants near the elevator that leads to the area boss. So that means you'll have to deal with the giants and the invaders at the same time.

With that said, I need Dark Souls 2 now.

Tadale

So, after about 40 hours of play, I beat Dark Souls on the Xbox, my first time through the game.

The only boss that I had just a ton of trouble was of course Ornstein and Smough, who were a complete pain in the ass for at least 6-7 different tries. Nothing else came close to giving me as much trouble.

Had it not been for a couple of really annoying parts, this might be in my top ten favorite games of all time. I'm mostly talking about parts that were just difficult in how unfair they were – namely the Bed of Chaos fight, (I was whipped down a cliff at least four times), and the Anor Londo part with the archers. Of course the framerate was often ass terrible on the Xbox version – my next playthrough will absolutely be on PC, whenever that is.

I think he
You know, I just got
a second firekeeper soul, but the one from New Londo, not Blighttown and he's still at Firelink - I think maybe I forgot to ring the bell and that's why he's still there!
:3

Edit:
Nope I had rang the bell.

Sullichin

Stefan™;46006545 said:
Invaders in the Royal Woods are so cheap. They wait for you behind those giants near the elevator that leads to the area boss. So that means you'll have to deal with the giants and the invaders at the same time.

With that said, I need Dark Souls 2 now.

In case you didn't know, there's a shortcut to that boss, you don't have to encounter any stone giants. You have to get past them once to activate it though.

I think he

No,
he's definitely peaced out in my game before I've picked up two fire keeper souls. I'm almost positive he leaves when you ring the second bell, perhaps the first one must be rung as well but I'm not sure. He does free himself regardless though.

From a design standpoint I think having lautrec disable the firelink bonfire when he does is brilliant. You're not very far from the parish bonfire and you're supposed to go that way anyway to get to Sen's fortress.
Beat (5 bosses)
Manus, Khalameet, Nito, Sif, and 4 Kings
today.

Just a few things to mop up before I go for the last boss. Any tips for things to do before I go to new game +?

I upgraded all the weapons & armor I care about pretty high, and I'm thinking I'm gonna go through and kill all the NPCs before I tackle the last guy, but maybe I'm not thinking of something important or devious?

You lose all of your embers, so if your weapon is +10 or lower you'll need to get them again to continue upgrading your weapons. If they're +11 you'll be able to max them out still. You might want to farm the knights in the kiln of the first flame for titanite chunks. You can kill a firekeeper for the soul and bring your flask to +6 before NG+ (max is +7 but you can't do that in one playthrough)

Jarsonot

You can kill a firekeeper for the soul and bring your flask to +6 before NG+ (max is +7 but you can't do that in one playthrough)

Oooh, I'll have to look that up, thanks. My flask is +4 right now so I can definitely improve it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom