• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

How critical is repair powder?

Some weapons have special attacks that consumes durability.
You need repair powder to repair them on the fly and keep on using them.

Other than that you won't need it really unless you get caught in corroding attacks that break your weapon but it's rare.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are there any handy comparison charts for the different weapon buffs you can get in the game? I'm trying to decide which one to invest in, but the game doesn't have any numbers to apply to damage output.

Akito

Are there any handy comparison charts for the different weapon buffs you can get in the game? I'm trying to decide which one to invest in, but the game doesn't have any numbers to apply to damage output.
Something like this?
iNNR2RReOeLsK.png

Sullichin

Don't know if there's any such chart but,

if you're investing in INT,
Crystal Magic Weapon is best, followed by Great Magic Weapon and Magic Weapon.

FAI,
Darkmoon blade is best but you have to be part of a covenant, followed by Sunlight Blade which is still very good and you can get multiple casts in NG+

Gold Pine Resin adds far more lightning damage to the AR than Pine Resin adds fire damage, so it's better, but more rare.

Power Within will add 40% damage on top of all that.

EDIT: I guess there is such a chart.

sixghost

FAI,
Darkmoon blade is best but you have to be part of a covenant, followed by Sunlight Blade which is still very good and you can get multiple casts in NG+

Gold Pine Resin adds far more lightning damage to the AR than Pine Resin adds fire damage, so it's better, but more rare.

Is power within affected by the level of your pyro glove?

Seanspeed

Banned
Curious:

When a weapon says it does say 150 physical damage and 150 magic damage, does that mean I'm doing 300 damage altogether assuming the enemy isn't resistant to one or the other?

Does the same apply to fire or lightning damage?

Akito

Curious:

When a weapon says it does say 150 physical damage and 150 magic damage, does that mean I'm doing 300 damage altogether assuming the enemy isn't resistant to one or the other?

Each type of damage needs to penetrate the respective defense so you'd do 300 damage if the enemy has 0 physical and magical defense, 200 at a 50/50 defense, 100 at 100/100 etc. The same for lighting and fire damage.

Sullichin

Curious:

Each damage type is calculated separately against the enemy's defenses. it applies to all damage types.
Say it's 100 physical and 100 magic damage, and the enemy has 40 physical def and 20 magic. Your attack would do 60physical/80magic damage, 140 total as opposed to the 200 in the attack rating. If it did 200 physical and 0 magic, it's just calculated against that 40 physical defense, so it would do 160 damage total. In practice, if you see a magic/divine/fire/etc weapon do crap damage against an enemy, it's probably because the damage split is in favor against their defenses.

Seanspeed

Banned
Each type of damage needs to penetrate the respective defense so you'd do 300 damage if the enemy has 0 physical and magical defense, 200 at a 50/50 defense, 100 at 100/100 etc. The same for lighting and fire damage.
Ok. Just making sure it actually stacked and wasn't just either/or.

Sullichin

Has like a 50 Strength requirement :(

Think I'd have to complete the game at least twice to wield that beast. And I don't really like axes anyway :p

Well yeah, it's the strongest weapon in the game, it's gonna have high stat requirements. But you only need 31STR to 2 hand it.

All of the black knight weapons are excellent and don't require as much of a stat investment.

A +15 Zweihander will also be very good

Well yeah, it's the strongest weapon in the game, it's gonna have high stat requirements. But you only need 31STR to 2 hand it.

All of the black knight weapons are excellent and don't require as much of a stat investment.

A +15 Zweihander will also be very good

Ooh, I only need 1 more Strength level for that then.

Worth upgrading for fun, even if I don't want to use it?

You know what would be great post-game reward in this game? A bosses/enemy gallery that lets you fight the bosses as often as you want, so you can test your setups out. Especially if it let you reappropriate your points.

Sullichin

You know what would be great post-game reward in this game? A bosses/enemy gallery that lets you fight the bosses as often as you want, so you can test your setups out. Especially if it let you reappropriate your points.

Yeah i'd love a boss rush mode.

i'd try messing around with DGA before investing into upgrading. It's very strong but it's really slow

sixghost

2Hing a 50 STR weapon takes 34 STR I believe.

I would love a challenge mode in the next game, similar to the one in Ninja Gaiden Black.

What do people get out of ganking? I've only had it happen to me a couple times, but I'm curious. Does anyone need to farm souls that much?

Some Undead aren't looking for anything logical, like souls. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some Undead just want to watch Lordran burn.

But seriously though, they're just getting off on griefing other players.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How critical is repair powder?

Not critical, but I'd stock up on a few of those (like 5 should be plenty) just in case. There are some enemies later that can damage your gear and it's handy to be able to repair your weapon without having to return to the bonfire.

If you're using a weapon which special R2 attack degrades the durability (such as the Drake sword or the Moonlight greatsword), then you definitely need to stock up on at least a score of them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Something like this?

It's blocked on this computer, but I'll check it out once I get home. Thanks!

FAI,

I have a STR/END based character, and I want relatively minimal investment of points so that I can get a useful weapon buff. I have Power Within, and a high level Pyromancy Flame, so I can probably use that to an extent.

The way scaling works in this game, it seems like putting points into INT or FAI just to get a buff would be a more worthwhile investment than tossing more points into STR for damage.

789shadow

Banned
Got murdered by an invader. Don't think I will be going human very much.

Also, I started a knight with focus on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. I also wanted to remain relatively light and mobile while still having good defenses. Should I be buying the Undead Burg merchant's armor, and should I get any of his shields?

Also, I started a knight with focus on Vitality, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. I also wanted to remain relatively light and mobile while still having good defenses. Should I be buying the Undead Burg merchant's armor, and should I get any of his shields?

No! Don't do that! I got my ass kicked all the time in PVP when I first started, but it was all a learning experience. In my second playthrough I'm winning more than I lose, and you will too. Even if it seems intimidating at first, you'll get better. The more people who play as a human, the better, IMO. Keeps the community strong. This is especially important for late-comers like us who missed out on the "golden years", so to speak. I heavily encourage you to play as a human as much as possible.

I'd say all you "need" from the Undead Merchant are his two boxes and the Burg key.

sixghost

No and no. The knight starts with a very good shield, focus on upgrading that one. Upgrading shields increases its stability stat, which determines how much stamina you lose each time you get hit. I would say it's even more important than upgrading your armor. You might want to pick one of Strength and Dexterity for now. Later on you can put points into both of them if you don't want to use Faith or Intelligence, but for now put your points into Vitality, Endurance, and one of Strength/Dexterity.

The knight also starts with good, but heavy armor. There's a miniboss in the undead burg before the Taurus demon that drops a hugely important ring, so go get that whenever you feel comfortable fighting that guy. That ring combined with lots of points in endurance will give you the higher movement speeds while wearing heavier armor.

789shadow

Banned
No! Don't do that! I got my ass kicked all the time in PVP when I first started, but it was all a learning experience. In my second playthrough I'm winning more than I lose, and you will too. Even if it seems intimidating at first, you'll get better. The more people who play as a human, the better, IMO. Keeps the community strong. This is especially important for late-comers like us who missed out on the "golden years", so to speak. I heavily encourage you to play as a human as much as possible.

I'd say all you "need" from the Undead Merchant are his two boxes and the Burg key.
But what I mean is, is the Chain Mail armor lighter than the starting Knight set, and does it have enough defense so that the downgrade isn't too drastic?

Also, any useful shields sold by him?

No and no. The knight starts with a very good shield, focus on upgrading that one. Upgrading shields increases its stability stat, which determines how much stamina you lose each time you get hit. I would say it's even more important than upgrading your armor. You might want to pick one of Strength and Dexterity for now. Later on you can put points into both of them if you don't want to use Faith or Intelligence, but for now put your points into Vitality, Endurance, and one of Strength/Dexterity.

The knight also starts with good, but heavy armor. There's a miniboss in the undead burg before the Taurus demon that drops a hugely important ring, so go get that whenever you feel comfortable fighting that guy. That ring combined with lots of points in endurance will give you the higher movement speeds while wearing heavier armor.

Should I do strength or dexterity? Also, I think I got flattened in one hit by the guy you're talking about. He had this enormous club thing.

But what I mean is, is the Chain Mail armor lighter than the starting Knight set, and does it have enough defense so that the downgrade isn't too drastic?

Should I do strength or dexterity? Also, I think I got flattened in one hit by the guy you're talking about. He had this enormous club thing.

Havel can be tough, yeah. Trying to go toe-to-toe with him is usually suicide. Strip off all your armor to get as much speed as possible and just keep backstabbing him. He'll drop a ring that'll make your armor a bit more mobile.

The merchant's chainmail isn't hugely useful - you can find the leather armor set in the
Darkroot Garden
and the Hard Leather set in
the Depths
, both of which are probably better for what you're looking for.

As for strength or dexterity, it depends on what weapons you want to use. Look at the scaling of your preferred weapon and focus on the stat with the better scaling.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Warrior's Round Shield at +10 Magic is the best all-around magic shield in the game.

Chain mail armor imo is a waste of souls and time, you're better off just wearing pieces of the Knight set (armor, leggings).

Go dex if you want good stat scaling with quick weapons, strength if you want to use slow and high damage weapons. Generally speaking.

789shadow

Banned
Killed the merchant and got the Uchi. Feels bad man, though. :(

Havel can be tough, yeah. Trying to go toe-to-toe with him is usually suicide. Strip off all your armor to get as much speed as possible and just keep backstabbing him. He'll drop a ring that'll make your armor a bit more mobile.

The merchant's chainmail isn't hugely useful - you can find the leather armor set in the
Darkroot Garden
and the Hard Leather set in
the Depths
, both of which are probably better for what you're looking for.
So basically Havel this early in the game is a "dodge every hit or die" fight?

Killed the merchant and got the Uchi. Feels bad man, though. :(

So basically Havel this early in the game is a "dodge every hit or die" fight?

Haha, yup. He'll go down in no time if you just keep dodging and backstabbing.

And of course they wait to pull the emotional punch with the merchant until after he's dead. Fuck this game sometimes.

Also, I forgot that a lot of the crappy-looking Hollow armor is pretty good for what you're looking for, too. They drop from Hollow enemies constantly.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I just parried Havel to death like a boss on my Deprived run, with Plank Shield and +5 Club! Got it recorded too, I'll probably put it in my Sif footage.

But yeah, BSing Havel is the easiest way to do it. Just be sure to time your dodge late, because if you dodge too soon his attack will track you, and it has a splash damage.

This stupid fucking stab the Taurus Demon does is unfucking dodgeable, and my Uchi isn't doing jack shit.

Have you tried doing the
plunging attack from atop the tower right before he jumps up
? Technically you could just keep doing that til he's dead, kinda cheesy though.

I've found his attacks are a lot easier to avoid by staying as close between his legs as possible. Most of his attacks will miss you outright, and you can attack him while he recovers. If you have any gold pine resin left that'll help immensely.

789shadow

Banned
Have you tried doing the
plunging attack from atop the tower right before he jumps up
? Technically you could just keep doing that til he's dead, kinda cheesy though.

I've found his attacks are a lot easier to avoid by staying as close between his legs as possible. Most of his attacks will miss you outright, and you can attack him while he recovers. If you have any gold pine resin left that'll help immensely.
I do that plunge every single time.

That's how I beat it. The Demon Crotch Sniffing Strategy. Stay close to its groin and whack away.

Complete failure. He has an attack that gets you there.

What I would do if I were you is apply some gold pine resin, land the plunging attack, evade his first attack from between his legs and then two-hand your weapon and go to town on him. His health will disappear very quickly after that.

789shadow

Banned
What I would do if I were you is apply some gold pine resin, land the plunging attack, evade his first attack from between his legs and then two-hand your weapon and go to town on him. His health will disappear very quickly after that.
Even with the Pine Resin the Uchi didn't do jack shit.

Even with the Pine Resin the Uchi didn't do jack shit.

How high is your dex? Though that shouldn't matter overly much at low levels. I'm not trying to sound cocky (seriously, I'm not great at this game), but I usually bring down this boss without incurring any damage using the strategy I outlined.

Where are you fighting him? On top of the tower or on the wall?

789shadow

Banned
How high is your dex? Though that shouldn't matter overly much at low levels. I'm not trying to sound cocky (seriously, I'm not great at this game), but I usually bring down this boss without incurring any damage using the strategy I outlined.

Where are you fighting him? On top of the tower or on the wall?
On the wall. The problem is that he CAN get you between his legs, and then he combo's you while you're getting up like a drunkard.

On the wall. The problem is that he CAN get you between his legs, and then he combo's you while you're getting up like a drunkard.

Yeah, I realize the strategy isn't infallible, it's just the one spot I've noticed where he seems to have the most difficulty hitting me. He's pretty good about telegraphing his attacks, so you might try backing up down the wall when you see his heavy hits coming. A good shield with 100% damage protection (your starting shield, for example) should be able to soldier through almost all of his blows without hurting you. Just take the hit, recover a sliver of stamina, then land some attacks before he recovers. Remember to keep your shield down when you're not in immediate danger to quickly recover your stamina.

Barring that, you could go for a more dexterous strategy by landing the plunge, then climbing back up and fighting him on top of the tower. A lot more room to dodge up there.

The crotch attack took me a number of tries to make it work. I died a lot before finally beating the demon. From what I've read, it's either that or plunge him repeatedly by luring to the far side of the bridge and then rolling away and sprinting towards the stair to repeat the plunge.

Or like DD just said, one plunge then take the fight up. In my few boss encounters I have found that having more room to dodge and roll away does wonders for slow moving bosses.

Sullichin

You can roll through all of his attacks while you're in between his legs. I'd turn off lock on to stop the camera from going beserk. After he misses an attack, counter and then prepare to dodge again. He's not hard, but he does show you the ropes of how to generally deal with enemies that big in Souls games, so he can be really tough at first.

You can roll through all of his attacks while you're in between his legs. I'd turn off lock on to stop the camera from going beserk. After he misses an attack, counter and then prepare to dodge again. He's not hard, but he does show you the ropes of how to generally deal with enemies that big in Souls games, so he can be really tough at first.

Good advice. I can't repeat enough how useful it is to simply turn off lock-on when fighting large, arena-style bosses. Same applies to Stray Demon, Demon Firesage, etc.

What really irks me is that somehow I had little trouble just yesterday with him, and now he's destroying my ass.

Had this issue with Capra. I beat him on my first try on my first playthrough. Every subsequent attempt has led to multiple deaths and much frustration. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

tafer

What really irks me is that somehow I had little trouble just yesterday with him, and now he's destroying my ass.

Pretty common, a usual good advice for this games is to not play while you are mad or frustrated. Come back later when you are calm and you'll see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom