• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

Being cursed in the depths not being what the Hell was going on, and then trying to get back was really one of my favourite moments of my first playtrough, glad I didn't use a guide for that.

Soulhouf

trying out a dex/bow build for the first time, after a dozen str-based charas. its crazy how trivial a longbow makes a lot of areas and monsters. even bosses like quelaag you can keep stagger locked if you hit her chest/head repeatedly.

any tips on bow types? or should i stick with the longbow?

If you're pure dex, nothing beats Black Bow of Pharis.
Long Bow is still very decent though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Longbow is best until you get the Darkmoon Bow

Eh? Only if you have a faith build and a lot of souls to spend on moonlight arrows. And even then, on 40-50 faith, an Occult composite bow+5 outdamages it (though it may have less range, but in specific sniping situations you can always just wear the Hawk ring).

There isn't a single "best bow", it depends on your build.
- For pure dex builds, the most damaging bow is the Black Bow of Pharis + large arrows.
- For faith builds, go with Divine/Occult composite bow + moonlight arrows.
- For int builds, Magic composite bow + moonlight arrows.
- For str builds, normal-upgrade Composite bow + large arrows.

Note, for all these builds except Dex and maybe Faith, a Chaos/Fire composite bow + fire arrows can also be very useful, though they're obviously not so great in certain areas where enemies are fire resistant. But Chaos Composite bows + fire arrows are excellent ranged support on pretty much any build since the minimal requirements for composite bows are very low (11 str/12 dex). Not to mention the fire arrows are a lot cheaper than moonlight arrows.

The only reason to ever use the Longbow is if you don't have the Composite bow yet, I guess.

Eh? Only if you have a faith build and a lot of souls to spend on moonlight arrows. And even then, on 40-50 faith, an Occult composite bow+5 outdamages it (though it may have less range, but in specific sniping situations you can always just wear the Hawk ring).

There isn't a single "best bow", it depends on your build.
- For pure dex builds, the most damaging bow is the Black Bow of Pharis + large arrows.
- For faith builds, go with Divine/Occult composite bow + moonlight arrows.
- For int builds, Magic composite bow + moonlight arrows.
- For str builds, normal-upgrade Composite bow + large arrows.

Note, for all these builds except Dex and maybe Faith, a Chaos/Fire composite bow + fire arrows can also be very useful, though they're obviously not so great in certain areas where enemies are fire resistant. But Chaos Composite bows + fire arrows are excellent ranged support on pretty much any build since the minimal requirements for composite bows are very low (11 str/12 dex). Not to mention the fire arrows are a lot cheaper than moonlight arrows.

The only reason to ever use the Longbow is if you don't have the Composite bow yet, I guess.

I don't know what I'm talking about, and only look at the four main stats :p

Anyone wanna help me with
Kalameet
?

I'm SL 105 :)

About 40 hours in, level 40something. Pouring all my points into: Dex, End, Vit, Strenth...in that order.
For the first 20 hours, I didn't use any online guides or wiki.
I must admit, I was pretty much running around in circles, not sure where to go or what to do.
Stumbled upon "farming" the bridge dragon for 555 souls/points each time, and bought myself everything I needed.

Broke down and slowly started looking into answering my questions with guides & this thread.
I've now rung both bell towers ("I did it!"), and am at the castle with rolling balls & lizardmen.

Yea, I've been using the bridge dragon's tail sword up to just last night, lol. And was using mostly the simple black armor my Thief started with, although +4 & +5'ed.
That changed last night when I finally killed Havel (? big dude at the bottom of the circular stair well.) He killed me a dozen times easily. Then something clicked, and I beat him like a baby - just kept outside his range, and once he swung overhead, just ran in and hit him once or twice. Rinse & repeat.

Now I'm using Elite Knight armor, and can move around almost as fast as using my lightweight black armor, courtesy of Havel's ring. :) Looking into improving that lightning spear, or one of my swords (pretty much have everything from all the areas I've thoroughly explored - even the Katana in Bligh-town.)

trying out a dex/bow build for the first time, after a dozen str-based charas. its crazy how trivial a longbow makes a lot of areas and monsters. even bosses like quelaag you can keep stagger locked if you hit her chest/head repeatedly.

any tips on bow types? or should i stick with the longbow?

I'd recommend trying out a few of the different bows and then sticking with whichever one you like best. Stats are nice and all but unless you're trying to optimize a build for PvP, there's really no wrong answer.

If you're going pure dex you might want to look into the Blackbow of Pharis.

789shadow

Banned
I have a question, guys. Which axes are better than the regular Battle Axe? The Crescent Axe and Golem Axe have higher base damages, but the Crescent Axe takes until after Nito to get, and the Golem Axe is a long way in and also has an R2 move I don't want.

I have a question, guys. Which axes are better than the regular Battle Axe? The Crescent Axe and Golem Axe have higher base damages, but the Crescent Axe takes until after Nito to get, and the Golem Axe is a long way in and also has an R2 move I don't want.

You should be able to buy the Demon Great Axe off
Shiva of the East, who is made available as soon as you get to Darkroot Garden and joining the Forest Hunters. You just need to buy the Crest of Artorias or defeat the Hydra in the basin to find Alvina and join the covenant. Talk to Shiva after joining and he'll relocate to Blighttown at the bottom of the lift elevator where he'll sell you his wares.

789shadow

Banned
You should be able to buy the Demon Great Axe off
Shiva of the East, who is made available as soon as you get to Darkroot Garden and joining the Forest Hunters. You just need to buy the Crest of Artorias or defeat the Hydra in the basin. Talk to Shiva after joining and he'll relocate to Blighttown at the bottom of the lift elevator.
Specifically not counting greataxes.

Specifically not counting greataxes.

Ah. In that case, the gargoyle tail axe was probably your best bet...Butcher Knife (
Maneater Mildred drop
) might be good if you're a pure-strength build. It's worth noting that you could actually get the Crescent Axe pretty early by making one of your weapons divine and fighting through the Catacombs, then make a suicide run through Tomb of the Giants until you meet Patches. Spare him and he'll sell one back at Firelink Shrine. You don't have to beat Nito to get it. You do have to beat Pinwheel, who is the easiest boss in the game.

Honestly though, a fully upgraded battleaxe should hold you over until you get the Golem axe.

789shadow

Banned
Ah. In that case, the gargoyle tail axe was probably your best bet...Butcher Knife (
Maneater Mildred drop
) might be good if you're a pure-strength build. It's worth noting that you could actually get the Crescent Axe pretty early by making one of your weapons divine and fighting through the Catacombs, then make a suicide run through Tomb of the Giants until you meet Patches. Spare him and he'll sell one back at Firelink Shrine. You don't have to beat Nito to get it. You do have to beat Pinwheel, who is the easiest boss in the game.

Honestly though, a fully upgraded battleaxe should hold you over until you get the Golem axe.
I do feel like the Battle Axe could last almost the entire game with upgrading, but how is the Gorgoyle Tail Axe better? It has lower base power....

I do feel like the Battle Axe could last almost the entire game with upgrading, but how is the Gorgoyle Tail Axe better? It has lower base power....

Ups resistances, has a higher dex modifier. Battleaxe is C/D while Gargoyle is D/C, so I guess if you're building strength for this character you're fine with the battleaxe until you get something better.

sixghost

You can get the crescent axe pretty early if you just kill Patches. He'll show up pretty early in the Catacombs if you haven't already made it to TotG.

789shadow

Banned
Ups resistances, has a higher dex modifier. Battleaxe is C/D while Gargoyle is D/C, so I guess if you're building strength for this character you're fine with the battleaxe until you get something better.
Well, I'm upping strength only, so I guess Battleaxe it is. However, the Golem Axe really turns me off with that R2 attack.

For kicking and jump attack do you click in the left analog or push it forward? I'm having trouble activating them.

Also what's the benefit of equipping your weapon 2-handed instead of with a shield? More damage?

Booshka

50% more damage, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

It also uses a bit of extra stamina.

It also staggers enemies quicker, 2H attacks hit harder to poise, so you can stagger enemies easier. 2 handing also lowers the STR requirement to wield weapons by about 35%

Wolfe

PS3 :)

I'll give it a couple more solo shots tomorrow using a magice-resistant shield

How do you slide down ladders btw?

I'd give you a hand if I didn't take my lvl 101 dude into NG+ already (haven't even rang the second bell yet), as it is now the only character I've tried him on is my lvl 36 dude. Wanted to check out that sword :)

For ladders it's circle.

Oh and since I remember it being asked/mentioned earlier you really need to hit his tail a good distance away from his body for it to register as a tail hit. I had a few attempts where I got his health down past halfway doing what I thought was hits to his tail, next fight I land two square hits on it from the beginning and it comes off no problem (I was doing around 400 damage per hit, definitely less than 1k damage required to chop the tail on normal difficulty).

Booshka

Does poise decay at all with consecutive hits?

Yes, it's like all of the other build up meters in the game, only invisible, so the more you get hit, and depending on the strength of the hit checked against your poise rating determines how soon and how severe you get staggered or stunned. I think the meter also slowly goes down similar to the other meters, but I am not sure what rate.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So? He can emergency-block, or parry, with the Dark Hand.

Looks like a classic cookie cutter good ol' int/dex build, Deified. (I don't say this pejoratively, the cookie cutter builds are called that because they honestly work well.) This is for PvP, I take it? Bonus points for not wearing those hideous family masks. I agree you need wolf over hornet, though. Hornet is for scrubs. xD

Did you mean to select the Wolf Ring instead of the Hornet Ring? You don't even have a shield.

lol, yeah, that was an accident. I think I'll replace it with DWGR.

I think bellowing dragoncrest, wolf, or even dark wood grain would be more useful than hornet ring. You might want to consider 45 dex for the fastest casting speed. Expect some hate mail for using dark magic.

Let the record state that I reserve cheap tactics only for those who use cheap tactics against me!

Amaron

Banned
You know, I've been playing since Launch yet I've never received a single hate mail. If I ever do, it's usually a "gg" or just a general comment concerning the match. Where are all these juicy QQers you all speak of?

Soulhouf

You know, I've been playing since Launch yet I've never received a single hate mail. If I ever do, it's usually a "gg" or just a general comment concerning the match. Where are all these juicy QQers you all speak of?

Which version are you playing?
I spent more than 1500 hours on this game and hundreds of PvP and got only one hate mail.

PS3 version here.

On the off-chance that Evaers or RomanticIrony are reading this, thanks for the help :)

Finished the DLC, just gotta do the final stretch now.

I gotta get me a Silver Knight Spear

ZeroCoin

I'm nearing the end of earning all the achievements. Biggest problem for me right now is trying to get Seath's tail cut off. Really frustrating because it's a decent run from the last bonfire, and those crabs are annoying. Ended up turning the game off after a relatively short session because I was so frustrated. Even dying to the four kings about a dozen times in a row on my SL1 run didn't turn me off as much as this seath fight.

Any tips about certain weapon types or upgrade paths that work better against seath? I need to attack the very end of his tail in order to get the tail correct?

My guy looks awesome btw

Helm of Artorias
Chester Coat
Gold-hemmed Gauntlets
Lord's Blade Waistcloth

Is there any reason not to kill (PTD)
Hawkeye Gough
for his armour?

Sullichin

I remember I made my second character on PC to try out the new dark magic. It was nearly universally hated, I would get hate mail constantly for using dark bead and pursuers. I'd imagine I'd get similar results now. Although dark magic is fairly easy to dodge and punish, lag sometimes makes this more difficult and it's incredibly strong. Dying from 1 dark bead isn't really a satisfying fight. I also get hate mail sometimes when invading in tomb of the giants (as a mid rolling black knight), and lately a couple of people mentioning murakumo dead angles. Definitely more mail than I've gotten on PS3 probably because it's easier to send a quick message after a fight. But i've gotten my fair share from ToTG/Izalith invasions on PS3 as well. If you cost someone their bloodstain at the beginning of ToTG and they didn't activate the first bonfire yet, you will get some love!

I'm nearing the end of earning all the achievements. Biggest problem for me right now is trying to get Seath's tail cut off. Really frustrating because it's a decent run from the last bonfire, and those crabs are annoying. Ended up turning the game off after a relatively short session because I was so frustrated. Even dying to the four kings about a dozen times in a row on my SL1 run didn't turn me off as much as this seath fight.

Any tips about certain weapon types or upgrade paths that work better against seath? I need to attack the very end of his tail in order to get the tail correct?

You can run past the enemies on the way to Seath's room and they won't follow you past the fog - they only follow you into the room the first time.
To make it easier wait for Seath to get into the middle of the room and bait his breath attack, causing him to destroy his own crystal with it. If he's far enough in the room, his tail won't be clipping through the wall behind him and you'll be able to get some good hits in. Yes, you want to hit closer to the end. I would avoid magic weapons but it's possible to break the tail with pretty much anything. I can help if you're on PC

zewone

Easiest way for me was to play co-op and have the summoned phantom head into the boss fight area where Seath's tail will be, because the summoned phantom will not trigger the boss until the main player walks into the area. They will then have the jump on hitting Seath's tail.

Sullichin

Actually, 2-handing halfs the STR requirement.

No it doesn't. Your STR stat is increased 1.5x when two handing, which doesn't equate to the STR requirement being halved.

Demon Great Machete: 46STR to 1 hand, 31STR to 2 hand
Zweihander: 24STR 1H 16STR 2H
Claymore: 16STR 2H, 11STR 1H

Amaron

Banned
No it doesn't. Your STR stat is increased 1.5x when two handing, which doesn't equate to the STR requirement being halved.

Demon Great Machete: 46STR to 1 hand, 31STR to 2 hand
Zweihander: 24STR 1H 16STR 2H
Claymore: 16STR 2H, 11STR 1H

My apologies, you're right.

ZeroCoin

You can run past the enemies on the way to Seath's room and they won't follow you past the fog - they only follow you into the room the first time.
To make it easier wait for Seath to get into the middle of the room and bait his breath attack, causing him to destroy his own crystal with it. If he's far enough in the room, his tail won't be clipping through the wall behind him and you'll be able to get some good hits in. Yes, you want to hit closer to the end. I would avoid magic weapons but it's possible to break the tail with pretty much anything. I can help if you're on PC

It's funny you say that because I assumed that they wouldn't follow you into the battle against Seath and ran past them the first time.....only to run into them again during the fight. Since then I have been clearing them out every time. I guess since there isn't a fog gate up during the initial encounter, they are able to get through.

I've been using a lightning claymore and a fire iaito in my previous attempts. The thing I still don't completely understand is if the tail cuts are determined by the number of hits, or the amount of damage. If it's damage based I would assume that popping power within would be the best bet to cutting the tail off during the 'post crystal break' period. Maybe I'll try my regular +15 iaito on my next attempt.

I have 35 Strength, and 35 Dexterity

Is it worth upgrading the Black Bow of Pharis for the Dex scaling, or shall I stick with the Darkmoon Bow?

Also, since nobody answered last time,is there any reason not to kill (PTD)
Hawkeye Gough
for his armour?

Arjen

It's funny you say that because I assumed that they wouldn't follow you into the battle against Seath and ran past them the first time.....only to run into them again during the fight. Since then I have been clearing them out every time. I guess since there isn't a fog gate up during the initial encounter, they are able to get through.

I've been using a lightning claymore and a fire iaito in my previous attempts. The thing I still don't completely understand is if the tail cuts are determined by the number of hits, or the amount of damage. If it's damage based I would assume that popping power within would be the best bet to cutting the tail off during the 'post crystal break' period. Maybe I'll try my regular +15 iaito on my next attempt.

Little trick for that, quit and reload your game if death comes, you'll be outside the fog walls, and the clams can't follow you then.

Soulhouf

I have 35 Strength, and 35 Dexterity

Is it worth upgrading the Black Bow of Pharis for the Dex scaling, or shall I stick with the Darkmoon Bow?

Also, since nobody answered last time,is there any reason not to kill (PTD)
Hawkeye Gough
for his armour?

35 str and 35 dex and you're using Darkmoon Bow? That's madness.
I recommend upgrading the BBoP for sniping and a Composite Bow to use as a crossbow (with lock on).
And if you don't mind the extra weight, your best option is Dragon Slayer Great Bow and even better Gough Great Bow.

35 str and 35 dex and you're using Darkmoon Bow? That's madness.
I recommend upgrading the BBoP for sniping and a Composite Bow to use as a crossbow (with lock on).
And if you don't mind the extra weight, your best option is Dragon Slayer Great Bow and even better Gough Great Bow.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom