• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjen

I just had the most awesome invasion, i was fighting the gargoyle on the first anor londo bridge when i got invaded. Dude dove right in so i had to fight him and the gargoyle at the same time. Managed to kill them both, chucked a few estus, but fuck it, i felt awesome non the less

Booshka

PS3 version here as well. Guess it's the stereotyped XBLive community then?

Probably, I have gotten a good deal of hate mail on 360. I played for about 100+ hours on PS3 and got a little hatemail on there. I get my best hatemail when I cheese Manus and ruin Township for Gankers.

sixghost

I just started my first SL1 run a few days ago, and it's been really fun so far. It hasn't been very difficult, but I imagine most of the difficulty comes at the end when you are getting the lord souls.

I won't ask for any advice, as I'm having fun figuring out some of the SL1 tricks for myself. The reinforced club seems like the way to go. Since I'm not really using souls on anything except my pyro glove and upgrades, my strategy is to make 4 or 5 reinforced clubs with different with different upgrade paths (normal, chaos, lightning, and divine) to use in different areas to avoid the general elemental strengths in certain areas. I'm just not sure if there's any point to keeping a normal club, since the scaling sucks at SL1. Maybe I'll make it into a Crystal version.

I'm still debating what to do with the 2nd ring slot. Lautrec's ring seems essential, since you have so little health and stamina, I just can't decide if Havel's would be worth it for the extra armor, or if the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring is worth it for the pyro boost.

zewone

Probably, I have gotten a good deal of hate mail on 360. I played for about 100+ hours on PS3 and got a little hatemail on there. I get my best hatemail when I cheese Manus and ruin Township for Gankers.

Is there a quick summary of how this works? I'm interested as that other guy on how you got past fog doors.

Amaron

Banned

You are a hero to forest victims everywhere.

Is there a quick summary of how this works? I'm interested as that other guy on how you got past fog doors.

Before the fog gate, stand facing it and there should be a fall to your right. If you position properly yourself and look down the hole towards the direction of the fog gate, you'll see glowing lights which I assume to be Manus' eyes. You have to aim a bow without zooming in to be able to hit him though, you just keep shooting arrows until he dies/bring him to stupidly low health then enter and kill him. A trick to get this to work is to zoom in and try to get the cursor in the general vertical area of Manus, then switch out and play with the bow until you find a sweet spot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just started my first SL1 run a few days ago, and it's been really fun so far. It hasn't been very difficult, but I imagine most of the difficulty comes at the end when you are getting the lord souls.

I won't ask for any advice, as I'm having fun figuring out some of the SL1 tricks for myself. The reinforced club seems like the way to go. Since I'm not really using souls on anything except my pyro glove and upgrades, my strategy is to make 4 or 5 reinforced clubs with different with different upgrade paths (normal, chaos, lightning, and divine) to use in different areas to avoid the general elemental strengths in certain areas. I'm just not sure if there's any point to keeping a normal club, since the scaling sucks at SL1. Maybe I'll make it into a Crystal version.

I'm still debating what to do with the 2nd ring slot. Lautrec's ring seems essential, since you have so little health and stamina, I just can't decide if Havel's would be worth it for the extra armor, or if the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring is worth it for the pyro boost.

I wonder if raw is a viable upgrade path at this point. *checks mugenmonkey tool* Nope, a +15 is still better than raw+5 at base stats. lol. Maybe for the early parts of the game, before you acquire chunks and slabs, but still, might as well go elemental as you said.

For the ring, maybe Wolf? A wee bit of poise can be a lifesaver sometimes.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I wonder if raw is a viable upgrade path at this point. *checks mugenmonkey tool* Nope, a +15 is still better than raw+5 at base stats. lol. Maybe for the early parts of the game, before you acquire chunks and slabs, but still, might as well go elemental as you said.

Yeah, swap out Wolf and Cloranthy as needed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm tempted to try my own SL1 run now. Haven't tried this yet. I'd definitely use a light crossbow, they are fun and actually pretty useful. Lightning crossbow + lightning bolts (expensive but what else are you gonna spend those souls on xD), baby.

sixghost

That's what I've been using, but 40 poise doesn't get you too far in PvE. I'm leaning towards getting the Dusk Crown and the magic boosting ring from the firelink mage to help with the later bosses.

Agreed on the reinforced club - the bleed really sets it apart from the other weapons available. It's what I'd use, anyway. What's the complete list of weapons available to SL1 players? Battle axe, hand axe, light crossbow, caestus, club, mace, morningstar, reinforced club, short sword...and bare fists/broken swords if you want to be a completionist. So close to being able to wield the demon's spear...!

And yeah, the multiple weapons seems the way to go, IMO.

That's it, I'm starting my SL1 run tonight, sounds like too much fun. It's basically a tie between the morningstar and reinforced club for me, whichever moveset I prefer.

Any idea for a starting gift, guys? What does an SL1 run contain? Are you allowed to skip areas like Blighttown with the master key? If not I'll just grab the old witch's ring for roleplaying purposes.

Booshka

You are a hero to forest victims everywhere.

Before the fog gate, stand facing it and there should be a fall to your right. If you position properly yourself and look down the hole towards the direction of the fog gate, you'll see glowing lights which I assume to be Manus' eyes. You have to aim a bow without zooming in to be able to hit him though, you just keep shooting arrows until he dies/bring him to stupidly low health then enter and kill him. A trick to get this to work is to zoom in and try to get the cursor in the general vertical area of Manus, then switch out and play with the bow until you find a sweet spot.

Also, to expedite the process, use Hawk Ring, Black Bow of Pharis +15 (with 40 Dex of course) and Feather Arrows, I also use Power Within if I can. Get 250+ damage per hit on New Game, so it only takes a couple minutes to pull off.

Arzehn

Just got my platinum trophy for this game. Bought it little over a month ago. Has been pretty much the only game I've been playing.

Kind of scared to get Demon Souls because I know the completist in me will want to get everything again. Think I need a break. :p

Plat achieved @ SL 116, 98 hours (NG++)
Feels good. :)

Sullichin

Agreed on the reinforced club - the bleed really sets it apart from the other weapons available. It's what I'd use, anyway. What's the complete list of weapons available to SL1 players? Battle axe, hand axe, light crossbow, caestus, club, mace, morningstar, reinforced club, short sword...and bare fists/broken swords if you want to be a completionist. So close to being able to wield the demon's spear...!

And yeah, the multiple weapons seems the way to go, IMO.

That's it, I'm starting my SL1 run tonight, sounds like too much fun. It's basically a tie between the morningstar and reinforced club for me, whichever moveset I prefer.

Any idea for a starting gift, guys? What does an SL1 run contain? Are you allowed to skip areas like Blighttown with the master key? If not I'll just grab the old witch's ring for roleplaying purposes.

No reason not to get master key. I don't remember the last time I played this game without starting with that. Even if you don't skip any areas it's nice to have more of the game open from the start. One of the first things I always do is rush through valley of drakes -> darkroot -> undead parish to activate the shortcut elevator back to firelink. Any rules you set will be self imposed of course, for example it will be easier if you allow yourself to use pyromancy.

Just got my platinum trophy for this game. Bought it little over a month ago. Has been pretty much the only game I've been playing.

Kind of scared to get Demon Souls because I know the completist in me will want to get everything again. Think I need a break. :p

Plat achieved @ SL 116, 98 hours (NG++)
Feels good. :)

Congrats. Definitely get Demon's Souls. Excellent game, the trophies are just as tedious as this game though.

No reason not to get master key. I don't remember the last time I played this game without starting with that. Even if you don't skip any areas it's nice to have more of the game open from the start. One of the first things I always do is rush through valley of drakes -> darkroot -> undead parish to activate the shortcut elevator back to firelink. Any rules you set will be self imposed of course, for example it will be easier if you allow yourself to use pyromancy.

Pyromancy is a-go, definitely. My parameters are as follows:
  • Obviously, remain at SL1
  • Explore the majority of areas to completion
  • Defeat all bosses except those that are optional (my way of weaseling out of killing Priscila)
  • I will accept what little help from summoned phantoms I can find
  • Like my first playthrough, I will not be using the master key

Just beat Capra and I'm currently farming shards in the Depths to make my elemental reinforced clubs. Haven't hit any roadblocks yet, but 4 kings is going to kick my ass for a while I'm sure.

I also got the platinum trophy tonight. Sl 135 ish playtime 85ish. Did the entire game offline and trophies offline as well. Not sure why but das seems more like a single player game to me. Maybe its because demons souls was so different that you felt helpless... This time around though I felt like an old hand. Not sure which game is better I must mull it over.

Amaron

Banned
  • Defeat all bosses except those that are optional (my way of weaseling out of killing Priscila)

Just beat Capra and I'm currently farming shards in the Depths to make my elemental reinforced clubs. Haven't hit any roadblocks yet, but 4 kings is going to kick my ass for a while I'm sure.

Beatrice should be helpful if you're not in NG+ and beyond against the Four Kings.

Dresden

4 Kings won't be that difficult once you get their attacks down. The real challenge is going to be the DLC bosses. Only real damage you'll be doing is with the 2h-R2 on the elemental reinforced club.

Beatrice should be helpful if you're not in NG+ and beyond against the Four Kings.

Typically I've had a lot more trouble with 4 Kings with Beatrice's help than without it, but things might be different this time.

4 Kings won't be that difficult once you get their attacks down. The real challenge is going to be the DLC bosses. Only real damage you'll be doing is with the 2h-R2 on the elemental reinforced club.
Haha, don't remind me. I might forgo the DLC on this playthrough.

Arzehn

I also got the platinum trophy tonight. Sl 135 ish playtime 85ish. Did the entire game offline and trophies offline as well. Not sure why but das seems more like a single player game to me. Maybe its because demons souls was so different that you felt helpless... This time around though I felt like an old hand. Not sure which game is better I must mull it over.

Yeah, I didn't summon NPC's either, just wanted a 1v1 experience. I did put down my summon sign to help others though, because I wanted to lower the warriors of sunlight faith requirement.

Congrats. Definitely get Demon's Souls. Excellent game, the trophies are just as tedious as this game though.

I'll definitely get around to it, hope the trophies for DS2 are more creative. :p

What is ganking?

Just teaming up and waiting for invaders?

Pretty much. You can usually tell the difference between someone who just summoned a couple phantoms for the boss fight and someone who's just farming invaders. Just black crystal out of there if you can't tell. If they just needed boss help you're doing them a favor; if they're gankers you're denying them their easy victory.

Pretty much. You can usually tell the difference between someone who just summoned a couple phantoms for the boss fight and someone who's just farming invaders. Just black crystal out of there if you can't tell. If they just needed boss help you're doing them a favor; if they're gankers you're denying them their easy victory.

Me and the Evaers guy I mentioned earlier twatted an invader wearing the Catalina Set to the point that he panicked and rolled into an abyss. I felt quite sorry for him to invade for a fair fight and by chance run into 2 guys, one of which seemed very high level. It was at the start of the level, so we probably seemed like gankers

ZeroCoin

Was finally able to get Seath's tail last night. Such a relief. Managed to finish seath, bed of chaos, gwyn, and then ran through the asylum and taurus demon on NG++ before calling it a night. Just need to get sif's soul and make it to anor londo to finish the achievements up.

Mxrz

Used to get a bit of hatemail invading the parish. Overall, the levels don't favor hit and run tactics like in Demon's, so its not as easy to piss people off.

Booshka

Used to get a bit of hatemail invading the parish. Overall, the levels don't favor hit and run tactics like in Demon's, so its not as easy to piss people off.

I've wanted to try and do hit and run invasions in the Catacombs, there are a lot of secret drops and shortcuts that make the level perfect for that type of tactic. Most of the invasions are just straight up rush fights or ambushes, but a persistent hit and run strategy through an entire level would be truly terrorizing. It would make the invader more like a level boss and environmental hazard.

yamo

Finished the game just now, played through as a sorcerer and it felt like the game just got easier and easier as I progressed. Felt the same way with Demon's Souls as well, maybe it just takes a bit of time to warm up.

Game was amazing anyway. Now the big question, play another game or start a second play through as a melee character...

Finished the game just now, played through as a sorcerer and it felt like the game just got easier and easier as I progressed. Felt the same way with Demon's Souls as well, maybe it just takes a bit of time to warm up.

Game was amazing anyway. Now the big question, play another game or start a second play through as a melee character...

I beat the game weeks ago and I haven't been able to stop. I'm currently juggling a dex/int build, a pure strength build, and a SL1 pyro build, all of which I plan on playing to completion.

Wolfe

I beat the game months ago yet still play the 4 characters I made fairly frequently:

lUx9DMw.jpg

Looking forward to DS2 :p

Dresden

I've never gotten more hate mail than when I used to invade in the Catacombs. The bridges are so ripe for abuse.

789shadow

Banned
So I have now gotten to the point of getting myself killed right by a bonfire after kindling it so that I don't have to deal with invasions.

So I have now gotten to the point of getting myself killed right by a bonfire after kindling it so that I don't have to deal with invasions.
join the covenant of the white/princess guard/sunlight. its made a huge difference for me. across 4 or 5 characters, i can't recall being invaded more than once or twice if even that.

@wolfe: what lvl is the 175hr chara?

i should prolly try making a high lvl chara, but i'm always concerned i'll never get summoned for co-op or pvp anymore.

789shadow

Banned
Why's that?
I hate it. The people who invade me are always much, much stronger/better, and I'm not going to deal with maybe dying in a hard to reach place due to some asshole. I think it's stupid that you can't turn off invasions. PvP should be entirely on my terms.

Anyway, Gaping Dragon time.

Booshka

I hate it. The people who invade me are always much, much stronger/better, and I'm not going to deal with maybe dying in a hard to reach place due to some asshole. I think it's stupid that you can't turn off invasions. PvP should be entirely on my terms.

Anyway, Gaping Dragon time.

You can turn off PvP by staying Hollow, if you could control whether or not you got invaded, it would break the co op part of the game as well. Also, if you are on 360, just start a Party Chat and play Dark Souls that way, you will be in Offline mode for the game, but you can still see your friends, chat etc.

789shadow

Banned
You can turn off PvP by staying Hollow, if you could control whether or not you got invaded, it would break the co op part of the game as well. Also, if you are on 360, just start a Party Chat and play Dark Souls that way, you will be in Offline mode for the game, but you can still see your friends, chat etc.
But you can't save your game in offline mode. So............

Anyway, the problem is kindling bonfires. You can't go back to hollow from human, so the only way to go back is to die.

Booshka

But you can't save your game in offline mode. So............

Anyway, the problem is kindling bonfires. You can't go back to hollow from human, so the only way to go back is to die.

You can save your game just fine. You just have to boot in Offline mode from the Title Screen.

Nutter

I need to start playing this again.

Already finished it several times, (thanks Boosh!), thinking of either starting another character or picking up the PC version.

Booshka

I need to start playing this again.

Already finished it several times, (thanks Boosh!), thinking of either starting another character or picking up the PC version.

You should start a new character and try out the PvP and co op in this game. Make a Level 120 character and mess around with that. I have a good PC now, but I'm gonna wait on getting DkS for PC cuz I have already played it so much on the other two platforms, so I need to play some other stuff on my new PC lol. If I pick it up, I'll just sink back into new builds and starting playing PvP with that community.

I'll help you build a proper PvP character, I have tons of items and expertise to get a character built. Let me know on here or XBL if you want any help or advice.

789shadow

Banned
So, next up is the dreaded Blighttown. I plan on at least getting the Rusted Iron Ring, suicide running to the Firekeeper's Soul in New Londo Ruins, and majorly upgrading my weapons and armor. Anything else I definitely should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom