• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, i'm so annoyed right now. i made a chara specifically for a leo ring build, i just beat ornstein and wasn't paying attention and forgot to pick up the ring. there goes 10hrs for nothing.

789shadow

Banned
I'm about to go on an upgrading spree, so I need to know the best places to farm humanity (and possibly large titanite shards) before Blighttown.

Piano

Banned
I'm about to go on an upgrading spree, so I need to know the best places to farm humanity (and possibly large titanite shards) before Blighttown.

If you have the DLC, the humanity phantoms in the Chasm of the Abyss drop humanity at a ridiculous rate. I got the impression they drop more when I was hollow, but I could be wrong.

Booshka

Not sure if your guide tells you this, but Blighttown has the best mid tier upgrade farm spot in the game. Enemies drop tons of Green Shards and Large Shards, you can then break down Green Shards to get huge amounts of regular Titanite Shards later on. Try to get whatever weapon you are using to +6-10, then just make your way through Blighttown. Also, use Fire on the Slimes in the Depths, Pyromancy or Firebombs work very well.

789shadow

Banned
Not sure if your guide tells you this, but Blighttown has the best mid tier upgrade farm spot in the game. Enemies drop tons of Green Shards and Large Shards, you can then break down Green Shards to get huge amounts of regular Titanite Shards later on. Try to get whatever weapon you are using to +6-10, then just make your way through Blighttown. Also, use Fire on the Slimes in the Depths, Pyromancy or Firebombs work very well.
Yeah, but Blighttown scares me. :(

Hot damn, Gaping Dragon is INTENSE. Got the Dragon King Greataxe!

Great place for co-op, FYI.

So, next up is the dreaded Blighttown. I plan on at least getting the Rusted Iron Ring, suicide running to the Firekeeper's Soul in New Londo Ruins, and majorly upgrading my weapons and armor. Anything else I definitely should do?

Bring lots of moss.

Ring of Fog works wonders if you take the time to get it.
Forest Hunters reward or trade Skull Lantern with Snuggly.

Expect little opportunities for co-op.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So, next up is the dreaded Blighttown. I plan on at least getting the Rusted Iron Ring, suicide running to the Firekeeper's Soul in New Londo Ruins, and majorly upgrading my weapons and armor. Anything else I definitely should do?
What the hell, why are you playing with a guide and ruining everything for yourself?
Meh, what you actually do need to do before getting to Blighttown is at least stocking up on some moss. Especially the blooming kind. You can flask away the normal poison, but if you get toxic'ed and have no blooming moss, you're SOL. You can find some there, but make sure you have about 3 or so before getting there just to be safe.

But don't the slimes only give green shards? Also, they take FOREVER to kill.
One Combustion and they're toast. Or, if you don't want that, one firebomb + one hit of your weapon. -_- Maybe, if you experimented and tried stuff instead of just blindly following a guide you'd get better at the game and enjoy it more? :|

Wolfe

what lvl is the 175hr chara?

Only 101 :p, it's the first character I made and I spent a real long time going through the game my first time (really enjoyed exploring and checking everything out). I recently started playing him again in in NG+ and I'm up to blighttown now.

Just spent a couple of hours trading stuff with Snuggly, getting/upgrading the Silver Knight Spear and upgrading the Black Bow of Pharis. Ready to start the end-stretch later on

Arjen

Get some mosses to cure toxic and posion

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fair enough, I just don't see how anyone can enjoy playing a game, especially a game like this one, with something telling him/her what to do instead of discovering by oneself. To each his own I guess.

I don't need to be lectured on the use of a guide. :(

I'm really enjoying the game either way, and that's all that matters.

Indeed, don't let it bother you. It's all good-natured concern I assure you. At least I'm 90% sure. =)

I went into the game mostly blind but I still used the wiki to learn about farming spots, upgrades, and equipment locations - I feel I had a more interesting DS experience because of that. Some would disagree - vehemently - but we'd just have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't get any pleasure out of accidentally killing Laurentius, for example, or hunting all over Lordran for Siegmeyer's next story location only to have it be in an area you'd have already cleared and had no reason to return to. Finding the bonfire in Sen's Fortress would have been more of a chore than an adventure without a guide.

Different people enjoy the game differently, I think we all understand that.

Booshka

We're just all jealous that you get to have a first playthrough of Dark Souls, but you are using a guide for it. Play how you want and enjoy it, but it's mainly out of jealousy, we want you to have the best first playthrough possible, because you only get one of them.

Do what you want though, I won't give you any more shit for it, and I'll keep giving advice if you ask for it.

789shadow

Banned
We're just all jealous that you get to have a first playthrough of Dark Souls, but you are using a guide for it. Play how you want and enjoy it, but it's mainly out of jealousy, we want you to have the best first playthrough possible, because you only get one of them.

Do what you want though, I won't give you any more shit for it, and I'll keep giving advice if you ask for it.
It's okay man.

Also, every cool greatsword I want to use needs 18 dex. :( Just one more thing to grind, lol.

Sullichin

What's wrong with them?

It requires investment in STR,DEX,INT,and FAI to use. The vast majority of weapons in the game do not require investments in 4 different stats. The requirements are pretty high too, and with base requirements it's pretty good but underwhelming compared to other options that don't have such requirements. The move set is also not great. Normally you want to focus on a few stats to upgrade, not all of them. It's not worth increasing FAI to 20 just to use the GSOA if you don't have any other purpose for FAI, for example

789shadow

Banned
Pretty good, just toss a sign down at the bonfire.
Actually tossed down my sign near the fog door. Got summoned twice. Got the first guy the Dragon King Greataxe before he died (he hadn't killed the caster LMFAO) and beat him with the second guy.

Piano

Banned
Fair enough, I just don't see how anyone can enjoy playing a game, especially a game like this one, with something telling him/her what to do instead of discovering by oneself. To each his own I guess.

I'm not playing with a guide...but I have had to spend several hours reading through the Wiki and googling various things. Even started a thread here on GAF.

I like discovering things and all, so I try not to look up areas I haven't completed (unless I'm truly lost), but christ the game doesn't explain anything to you! I don't get how you could figure out any of the gameplay systems / subsystems let alone their intricacies without some help.

I love the sense of discovery and all, but that doesn't really apply to a game being cryptic and poorly explained just because.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You need the Large Ember to ascend to +6 til +10. It's in
the Depths

Some parts of the game are obscure but that isn't what he's doing, Piano. Anyway, I said I'd stop pressing the issue, so I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom