• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they fixed it on PSN when the DLC hit, or did they break it again?

Thinking about it, I remember seeing them in loads of places just after the DLC, but now hardly ever again.
Yeah, I don't see them any more. They were everywhere after the patch. Maybe the graphics glitch patch broke it again.

dsvoid

Neo Member
fuck the Capra Demon.

Seconded. Wolf Ring +any 100% physical damage blocking shield should give you enough of an edge to kill the dogs, though. Afterwards you can just focus on capra and dodge his slow attacks.

I am having trouble farming blue titanite chunks in Darkroot Basin; past maybe three runs, the crystal golems stopped dropping them! Odd. I just have 10 Humanity, no serpent ring yet. Does this always happen? Drops just "drying up" out of thin air?

Seconded. Wolf Ring +any 100% physical damage blocking shield should give you enough of an edge to kill the dogs, though. Afterwards you can just focus on capra and dodge his slow attacks.

I am having trouble farming blue titanite chunks in Darkroot Basin; past maybe three runs, the crystal golems stopped dropping them! Odd. I just have 10 Humanity, no serpent ring yet. Does this always happen? Drops just "drying up" out of thin air?
dukes archive is a better spot imo. darkroot farming is pretty terrible even with the gold serpent ring.

Just started this game. And all I can say is fuck the Capra Demon. I never had this much trouble on a boss fight in Demon's Souls.

I went with Knight set + Black Knight Shield (although any 100% physical should work just as good), killed him in my first try. I did have a Claymore+5 which helped me kill the dogs in one swing.

Where's the key to free the wizard in duke's archives?

I went with Knight set + Black Knight Shield (although any 100% physical should work just as good), killed him in my first try. I did have a Claymore+5 which helped me kill the dogs in one swing.

Where's the key to free the wizard in duke's archives?
you can find the key in
the room with the 4 chests before entering the garden area.

First good try at taking the Taurus Demon. Ran backward and pounced on him from atop the turret, and it helped. But i still got my ass handed to me. Its a pretty thin, but long environment we're fighting in, so I dont really get any advantages except maybe when I am right under him and he cant get a wide swing into me.

How the hell do i dodge the guys blows beyond getting close and luckily receiving some epace to maneuver next to his dick? Should i use some humanity or something?

First good try at taking the Taurus Demon. Ran backward and pounced on him from atop the turret, and it helped. But i still got my ass handed to me. Its a pretty thin, but long environment we're fighting in, so I dont really get any advantages except maybe when I am right under him and he cant get a wide swing into me.

How the hell do i dodge the guys blows beyond getting close and luckily receiving some epace to maneuver next to his dick? Should i use some humanity or something?
Stay close to him. Its attacks are easy to read and avoid, I recommend NOT using heavy armor, since shielding takes too much stamina, better off rolling.

Man, I'm kind of annoyed. I got my strenght to 32 to for the black knigght halberd, but it is pretty sluggish, more than the normal halberd I think. Should had spent those levels on DEX to up the very awesome balder sword. Love it.

Kweh

Something different has started happening when I am resting at a bonfire. It sometimes boots me out of the menu / rest state and the fire goes out and I can't rest there anymore. I am in the Painted World if that matters. I assume it's a game mechanic and not a bug?

Soulhouf

Something different has started happening when I am resting at a bonfire. It sometimes boots me out of the menu / rest state and the fire goes out and I can't rest there anymore. I am in the Painted World if that matters. I assume it's a game mechanic and not a bug?

Are you in human form?
If so, the bonfire turns off to prepare to be invaded. Even if the invader fails, the bonfire remains off during 10-20 seconds and turns back on after that.

Kweh

Are you in human form?
If so, the bonfire turns off to prepare to be invaded. Even if the invader fails, the bonfire remains off during 10-20 seconds and turns back on after that.

Ah okay yep, that makes sense, I am in human form. Funny that it has taken this long for me to notice!

Thanks.

Is there a detailed analysis available of the weapons on Dark Souls and how their scaling effects each one?

I'm still toting around my trusty Black Knight Sword +5, and with around 30 strength it is doing decent damage especially when 2H. However according to wikis, forums, etc, the BKS is a decent/powerful early to mid game weapon. This implies that it should be replaced in the mid to late game, but I'm having trouble finding something to replace it with. At +5 it is 330 phys damage. Even many the larger weapons at +15 don't come up to 330.

I've been browsing the wiki(s) but this seems really hard to beat. The unknown is the scaling... is a 150 damage weapon with A str scaling better than the 330 damage one with C scaling? I have no idea. I assume there must be some point where I have enough strength that the "weaker" weapon with higher scaling would do more damage, but at what point?

Arjen

You have to keep in mind that a black knught sword cant be buffed. A fully upgraded claymore with buff deals more damage for example

krakov

Is there a detailed analysis available of the weapons on Dark Souls and how their scaling effects each one?

I'm still toting around my trusty Black Knight Sword +5, and with around 30 strength it is doing decent damage especially when 2H. However according to wikis, forums, etc, the BKS is a decent/powerful early to mid game weapon. This implies that it should be replaced in the mid to late game, but I'm having trouble finding something to replace it with. At +5 it is 330 phys damage. Even many the larger weapons at +15 don't come up to 330.

I've been browsing the wiki(s) but this seems really hard to beat. The unknown is the scaling... is a 150 damage weapon with A str scaling better than the 330 damage one with C scaling? I have no idea. I assume there must be some point where I have enough strength that the "weaker" weapon with higher scaling would do more damage, but at what point?

Almost any weapon will go over 330 dmg (scaling included) at +15. If you want a similar weapon and STR is your main stat, try the man serpent greatsword. Weapons with good scaling are the best if you have the right stats.

i don't know the math, but quite frankly, with the online calcs i don't feel the need to.

i'm not sure where you read that the bk won't serve you well end-game, but 30str sounds mid-game anyways. there are other factors than attack rating which make weapons get labelled so. claymore is adored for numerous reasons, but ar won't surpass the bks until around 40str/40dex and even then, it's pretty neglible. manserpent is great because you can get the same ar with just 40str alone.

also, end-game imo = ng+ or later or lvl100+ pvp.

Man, the fight with kalameet... fuck. I had him down to literally just one more hit and I dropped the spaghetti and he one hit killed me. Came back with a vengeance and got my revenge, thus completing the dlc. Definitely worth the 7 bucks I spent. Time to retire for a while though. Almost exactly 100 hours on ng ++ with the dlc and platinum completed. Game cost me 10 bucks to buy originally. Dat value.

Casanova

I've heard people comparing Dark Souls to Dragon's Dogma and NO, just NO..

I just downloaded Dragon's Dogma and the game feels so cheap and messy. It seems like they burrowed some blocking mechanics, strike animations, and many other RPG elements from Dark Souls/Demon Souls, then proceeded to put them all in a blender and chop them up into a Shit-Milkshake.

I played all the way through the demo and I just don't understand how someone can ethically compare the beautiful behemoth that is Dark Souls to this piece of trash.

/rant

On other note, I really wish I had a PS3 so that I could play Demon Souls. I played at a friend's house once and it was great.

Guys! Guise! GIES!

I accidentally the blacksmith in the catacombs!

A skeleton surprised attacked me and I swung my sword in panic and struck him. He got up and attacked and I had to kill him. What did I just do? What am I screwed out of?

Guys! Guise! GIES!

A skeleton surprised attacked me and I swung my sword in panic and struck him. He got up and attacked and I had to kill him. What did I just do? What am I screwed out of?

Not much really. Fire and Chaos weapons. Nothing you can not get by without.

Most of my runs now I dont even bother going down to him.

Booshka

Guys! Guise! GIES!

His awesome Viking Helm he drops is more valuable than the upgrade paths he provides, don't worry about it.

Guys! Guise! GIES!

Considering he's like the worst blacksmith, and on the worst place ever. No worries.

Seriously, he might have been halfway useful if at least there was a bonfire to warp to close to him.

I know you can kinda make a trip from Firelink down to the ground level in a few minutes but its still a little risky and takes too long to just "up" a weapon.

They probably should have swapped him with Greigs down before New Londo Ruins.

I always like to do an early run down to Vamos - green shades are so easy to come by, you can have a +5 fire weapon in no time, which is pretty OP really right at the very start of the game. The ghosts in New Londo are weak to fire, so it helps in doing that area early too, for the v.large ember, drops, chunks etc to get an early +15 main weapon.

I usually get the large flame ember after doing Quelaag too, which gives you a +6-8 fire weapon (if you got the drops and chunks from Great Hollow and Asylum Black Knights) for Sen's which is enough to one-hit ripost the enemies there.

Waitaminute... there's a blacksmith in the Catacombs...?
Looks like you have some exploring to do!

Booshka

I always like to do an early run down to Vamos - green shades are so easy to come by, you can have a +5 fire weapon in no time, which is pretty OP really right at the very start of the game. The ghosts in New Londo are weak to fire, so it helps in doing that area early too, for the v.large ember, drops, chunks etc to get an early +15 main weapon.

I usually get the large flame ember after doing Quelaag too, which gives you a +6-8 fire weapon (if you got the drops and chunks from Great Hollow and Asylum Black Knights) for Sen's which is enough to one-hit ripost the enemies there.

Looks like you have some exploring to do!

Just go for the Gravelord Sword instead, it's really easy to get at the start of the game for an experienced player, and it does a ton of damage even without upgrades.

Booshka

I guess so. Making a fire weapon means you can use any weapon you like though - with the choice of movesets etc.

Ya I understand, it's just a means to an end for me. I use the Gravelord sword to make progressing through the game quicker and easier so I can grab all of the other weapons and then work on upgrading them later. I also don't like to mess with elementals at all, so I just take everything to +15.

Ya I understand, it's just a means to an end for me. I use the Gravelord sword to make progressing through the game quicker and easier so I can grab all of the other weapons and then work on upgrading them later. I also don't like to mess with elementals at all, so I just take everything to +15.

Most +15 weps tend to do more damage than elementals for me.

Edit: DLC Boss:
Manus
kicking my ass. Any tips? His attacks are so savage and hard to read.

Booshka

Manus
+15 is the best upgrade path for everyone almost, unless you have base stats and just stack Vitality and Endurance.

Try using a shield with 100% physical resist and high stability, avoid his flurry attack, then hit and run with 2H attacks when there is an opening. Summon Sif for another enemy for Manus to aggro on.

Use the Silver Pendant for his magic, and stay very close to him when he does it, most of it will not hit you, except for the wave of dark magic that he throws right in front of him, so stay to his side and back.

Manus

For me I went with the following, since blocking wasn't working for me:

Keep your distance so you can easy dodge the flurry attack (when he growls and does a 6 move combo) since this is the worst attack he has.

But don't get too far way as you'll have trouble dodging the dark bead sorcery (frontal cone sorcery attack).

The sorcery that is a circle of beads converging on the boss can be nullified by running to him, or facing it and blocking with the shield though you'll get some damage.

Finally, dodge the hard hitting attacks so you can hit him back, since he has a big recovery time on those!

Soulhouf

I like Chaos weapons because that black flame effect looks awesome and they are perfect if you don't want to increase your stats.

You know you can just walk of onto the branch right?

I know that - I did that part first try. It was going around to the right side across the first hole she makes. There is a root along the ground so I was just constantly janking the jump. I must usually do the right side first because I have never really had much trouble with this boss.

Qui/reset always works for me. I've proved myself with that boss, no need to be a masochist about it!

Wait for the hand sweep, then drop down on to the middle branch rather than jumping across. Eagle Shield is great for this, two-handing it in your right hand if you don't have the stats. Wolf ring etc for poise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom