• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kweh

How many hits does it take to cut Seath’s tail off? I felt I was fairly over levelled for that fight, but I hit its tail a good 5 or 6 times and it didn’t break off.

In the end I just killed him, and will try on NG+.

How many hits does it take to cut Seath’s tail off? I felt I was fairly over levelled for that fight, but I hit its tail a good 5 or 6 times and it didn’t break off.

Be sure to hit the middle one, right in the tip!

Kweh

Be sure to hit the middle one, right in the tip!

Yeah was defo hitting the middle one, but not the tip. I guess that was why then.

Cheers.

Also, how do you get Quelana to ask you to kill the Bed of Chaos? I've looked at a wiki and it says she supposedly asks you when you have purchased all Pyromancy skills from her. I've done that, reloaded a save and she still doesn't mention anything. Do i need my glove at +15 as well (it's +13 atm)?

Arjen

Yeah was defo hitting the middle one, but not the tip. I guess that was why then.

Cheers.

Also, how do you get Quelana to ask you to kill the Bed of Chaos? I've looked at a wiki and it says she supposedly asks you when you have purchased all Pyromancy skills from her. I've done that, reloaded a save and she still doesn't mention anything. Do i need my glove at +15 as well (it's +13 atm)?

Yep, +15, ascend and then to +5 and buy all her spells if i remember correctly.

Cheers.

I'm not sure actually! Have you exhausted all her "talk"? I don't remember having her asking me to kill BoC, but she gave me the
Fire Tempest Pyromancy
after I did killed that boss. Maybe she said on one of the first times I talked to her and I didn't care, but I haven't been to her in a new char yet.

The wiki says you have to ring both bells before she asks you that!

Does the level carry over into NG+?

Yes

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You know you can just walk of onto the branch right?

I+m+British+and+I+m+yet+to+meet+anyone+who+speaks+_f97de6e40b370036a21a32737f086275.gif

whut.

it's a deceptively short tail. but around 5 hits sounds about right.

dsvoid

Neo Member
So I was just wondering. Gwynevere is supposed to be giant, right? Except the door you enter through is extremely tiny compared to her. I know she just hangs around on that comfy seat all day, but how did she ever fit into the room?

ACTUAL LEGIT SPOILER, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:
Discounting the fact that she's not real.

So I was just wondering. Gwynevere is supposed to be giant, right? Except the door you enter through is extremely tiny compared to her. I know she just hangs around on that comfy seat all day, but how did she ever fit into the room?

ACTUAL LEGIT SPOILER, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:
Discounting the fact that she's not real.

Thats the point. The logistics are fucked. Plus a certain item actually flat out tells you the truth of the matter. But man... those titties...

Srsly

Banned
Finally beat this game tonight after starting it a little over a week ago. Fantastic game -- easily game of the generation for me, but fuck do my thumbs hurt, especially my right thumb. I hate that I'm going to have to take a break and let my thumbs recover before trying ng+

I've started a new build, something I've never really tried - pyromancy and claymore, no shield. I keep dying! I realized my play style, regardless of dex or strength or int focus, really relied on the shield as a crutch. All my sense of timing for the enemies is based on that. And when I get into trouble, blocking won't save me. Honestly, I feel like I have to learn everything over again.

I am also trying to really learn parrying. I am doing it barehanded - feels so badass (when it works!).

It's amazing to me that this game still continues to offer challenges and depth after all the hours I've put in.

Hi guys, first time travelling through the lands of Anor Lando and I have a problem at the
crystal caverns - my fps drops very much to the point where I was fighting Seath and the game kicked me for having low fps. Is this normal? I'll give it another go with lower settings later, assuming it's normal behaviour :l

I guess I don't need to spoiler tag, but it feels right as it is my first time through :)

What are some good weapons to go for with a strength build? Seems all the good stuff favours dexterity.

I really, really like the Greataxe, although it's fairly slow and has pretty short range. The Man-Serpent Greatsowrd is great. I also like the Great Club. The Zweihander is pretty nifty as well, although I'm not quite as big of a fan of it.

I'm actually doing a strength build right now, and trying out various weapons. I haven't used a ton yet, but so far have enjoyed the Man-Serpent Greatsword and the Greataxe.

ENB is also doing a video series right now where he's testing out all of the strength weapons, if that interests you. He plans on doing a "best strength weapons" video at the end which highlights the best ones.

What are some good weapons to go for with a strength build? Seems all the good stuff favours dexterity.
hammers or axes, of either the normal or great variety. large club and bk great axe are quite popular. there are a few good sword options too, manserpent great sword or demon great machete to name a few. if you think "all the good stuff" favours dex, then quite frankly you're prolly better off just playing a dex build.

BadWolf

I really, really like the Greataxe, although it's fairly slow and has pretty short range. The Man-Serpent Greatsowrd is great. I also like the Great Club. The Zweihander is pretty nifty as well, although I'm not quite as big of a fan of it.

I'm actually doing a strength build right now, and trying out various weapons. I haven't used a ton yet, but so far have enjoyed the Man-Serpent Greatsword and the Greataxe.

ENB is also doing a video series right now where he's testing out all of the strength weapons, if that interests you. He plans on doing a "best strength weapons" video at the end which highlights the best ones.

Yeah I was wondering when he would get to the strength weapons, will check it out.

I do have the Greataxe so I'll give it a whirl but I don't have enough strength to use it with one hand yet, same with the Great Club. Heading out to Sen's Fortress soon so hopefully I'll luck out with a MSG sword.

hammers or axes, of either the normal or great variety. large club and bk great axe are quite popular. there are a few good sword options too, manserpent great sword or demon great machete to name a few. if you think "all the good stuff" favours dex, then quite frankly you're prolly better off just playing a dex build.

I played a dex build my previous playthrough, like SenseiJinx I'm going with an str build this time to try out the stuff I missed out on.

Might farm for the large club, a lot of people so to prefer it to the great club.

Hobobloke

I do have the Greataxe so I'll give it a whirl but I don't have enough strength to use it with one hand yet, same with the Great Club..

Ideally you want to be two-handing it when you attack anyway, just practice switching between it and shielding.

I'm also doing a strength based character at the moment and have been using the Demon's Greataxe

You know, after playing around with strength weapons I think they're pretty underused. Maybe this isn't the case generally, but in my experience I see most players going with either dex or quality weapons. I think it may relate to how most players seem to prefer weapons with faster movesets, and the ability to fastroll. The large and sometimes slow strength weapons don't really match that playstyle.

While playing this strength playthrough, I think I've come to actually appreciate the mid-roll as opposed to the fastroll. I'm generally like most players and prefer the fast-roll. However, the benefit of going with a mid-roll is that all of a sudden you don't have to worry as much about your load amount. You can use heavier weapons and armor, generally don't need Havel's which frees up a ring spot (unless you are carrying really heavy stuff), and just have more flexibility in fleshing out your build. Since I haven't worried about the fast roll, I've been able to wield around heavy weapons, keep alternate weapons equipped, use more ring combos, and have even tried out a tower shield. I thought I would never enjoy a tower shield because of the inability to parry. However, the very high stability is awesome, at least for PVE (and especially bosses). Being able to take tons of abuse and losing hardly any stamina is great.

Anyway, it's just a different playstyle that I hadn't really experienced before. I think it's a lot of fun, too! May not be the best strategy for PVP, but it's fun for PVE.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though, and more people use this playstyle then I thought. Just in my experience from PVP and reading various Dark Souls forums, I think somewhat of a majority goes with lighter, dex/quality builds.

Booshka

The problem with Strength weapons in PvP is that you get Roll Backstabbed all the time. Another problem is that a lot the thrusting Dex weapons actually have more range than a lot of the huge strength weapons so after you attack it is easy for them to follow up with a ranged thrust attack. I was fighting against Balder Side Swords using a Large Club all night yesterday and a lot of players would just turtle then spam R2 thrust attacks. It worked and was very frustrating to fight against.

I also don't think most Strength weapons do enough damage for how much they weigh, and the stat requirement to wield them, along with how slow they attack. A strong attack from a lot of Dex weapons will do nearly as much damage or more than a Normal attack from a R1 from most Strength weapons, it just shouldn't be that way in my opinion.

The other huge problem that plagues Dark Souls PvP is how most strength weapons are just used for OHKO backstabs and in general backstab fishing is abused by gimmicky players that just want to hornet backstab with a Great Club. It's sad that all of these awesome Strength weapons are just used to backstab because no one wants to bother swinging them and get roll backstabbed themselves.

/end rant

I should play more Demon's so I can enjoy some Strength weapons, because they kinda got shafted in Dark Souls.

The problem with Strength weapons in PvP is that you get Roll Backstabbed all the time. Another problem is that a lot the thrusting Dex weapons actually have more range than a lot of the huge strength weapons so after you attack it is easy for them to follow up with a ranged thrust attack. I was fighting against Balder Side Swords using a Large Club all night yesterday and a lot of players would just turtle then spam R2 thrust attacks. It worked and was very frustrating to fight against.

I also don't think most Strength weapons do enough damage for how much they weigh, and the stat requirement to wield them, along with how slow they attack. A strong attack from a lot of Dex weapons will do nearly as much damage or more than a Normal attack from a R1 from most Strength weapons, it just shouldn't be that way in my opinion.

The other huge problem that plagues Dark Souls PvP is how most strength weapons are just used for OHKO backstabs and in general backstab fishing is abused by gimmicky players that just want to hornet backstab with a Great Club. It's sad that all of these awesome Strength weapons are just used to backstab because no one wants to bother swinging them and get roll backstabbed themselves.

/end rant

I should play more Demon's so I can enjoy some Strength weapons, because they kinda got shafted in Dark Souls.

True, I could see how that's a problem with PVP. I don't play a lot of PVP, though (stupid PC connection issues), so I guess that's why I haven't noticed those issues yet.

NG28

I love this game. My first couple play-throughs on my first character all I wanted from the damn crystal lizards was a titanite slab, and I never got one. On the first play-through of my second character, who is an INT build and doesn't need any, I get 3 slabs in a row.

BadWolf

Damn the great club hits hard. Is it worth sticking with and upgrading or is it better to farm for the large club? Heard its a pretty rare drop.

The great axe feels about the same as the great club, just a little weaker and less range.

Have to agree with STR weapons not hitting hard enough, especially when they tend to be so very slow and eat up lots of stamina.

Butcher knife is one of my favourite strength weapons

Is the damage respectable after upgrading?

Bed of Chaos
was like the shittiest Zelda boss shoved into this game. What the fuck?

Heard it was supposed to be something very grand but the devs ran out of time.

Booshka

Damn the great club hits hard. Is it worth sticking with and upgrading or is it better to farm for the large club? Heard its a pretty rare drop.

The great axe feels about the same as the great club, just a little weaker and less range.

Have to agree with STR weapons not hitting hard enough, especially when they tend to be so very slow and eat up lots of stamina.

Is the damage respectable after upgrading?

Heard it was supposed to be something very grand but the devs ran out of time.

The Great Club does do a little more damage than the Large Club, but the main reason a lot of people (including myself) prefer the Large Club is because of the 1 Handed R2 attack. You can see the Giant's that carry it, do it. It has excellent range and a great sweep. It's best if you don't lock on with it as well, so you can manually aim where the attack goes. Make sure to level your Strength to 40 for optimal damage scaling. You can go up to 50 if you'd like to be able to one hand the Dragon weapons, but I wouldn't because the damage scaling falls off hard after 40.

The Butcher Knife upgrades pretty well but the Man Serpent Greatsword will do more damage than it. Butcher Knife is fun because of its unique moveset.

You probably already know this, but make sure you are upgrading all of your big Strength weapons to +14, and the ones that you really like to +15. That upgrade path will give you the best Strength scaling and pure physical damage, two things that Strength weapons excel at.

Soulhouf

Actually dex weapons were more shafted than the str weapons.
I have a friend who literally stopped playing Dark Souls and went back to Demon's because of that.

BadWolf

The Great Club does do a little more damage than the Large Club, but the main reason a lot of people (including myself) prefer the Large Club is because of the 1 Handed R2 attack. You can see the Giant's that carry it, do it. It has excellent range and a great sweep. It's best if you don't lock on with it as well, so you can manually aim where the attack goes. Make sure to level your Strength to 40 for optimal damage scaling. You can go up to 50 if you'd like to be able to one hand the Dragon weapons, but I wouldn't because the damage scaling falls off hard after 40.

The Butcher Knife upgrades pretty well but the Man Serpent Greatsword will do more damage than it. Butcher Knife is fun because of its unique moveset.

You probably already know this, but make sure you are upgrading all of your big Strength weapons to +14, and the ones that you really like to +15. That upgrade path will give you the best Strength scaling and pure physical damage, two things that Strength weapons excel at.

Thanks man.

Was going to go farm for the large club after reading your post, didn't die at Sen's as expected though and ended up at the bonefire near the boss. Will go farm after I'm done with him then. Gotta say, Sen's was a breeze with the (un-upgraded) great club, especially the Serpent men. 2H R2 does a knock down and gives you enough time to wind up for a second R2.

Yeah, the raw strength root is the one I'm intending to go. Put some into ATT/INT but other than that I've been putting everything into VIT/END/STR.

Also tried the Gargoyle Halberd, so fast and snappy when it connects. Might even start upgrading it since it scales with both STR and DEX so a strength build should be okay for it I think.

Actually dex weapons were more shafted than the str weapons.
I have a friend who literally stopped playing Dark Souls and went back to Demon's because of that.

I keep hearing and feeling the opposite, like From Soft loves dex etc.

EDIT: Upgraded the Gargoyle's Halberd to +10 and wow, this thing freaking rocks. Still intend on getting a heavy weapon but this is definitely going in the second equip spot on the right hand.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love str weapons.

So much fun to just go "BLAT" and everything dies. Sure the animation leaves you more unsafe but the risk is part of the fun.

Just lost 30k souls in the Depths to a curse, went to retrieve. Cursed again.

Dammit that place is confusing to navigate.
Look at the curse resistance of your armour, it's practically impossible to get cursed with some gear unless you're just standing there covered in frog-breath.

30k is nothing to worry about too much - slap a summon sign down at the Depths bonfire, 12,500 souls per Gaping Dragon with a chunk of something like another 6k for doing Kirk also (I've guessed a lot of people don't go human until they're ready to do the boss because I almost always fight Kirk, Mildred etc when summoned).

Antiwhippy

Damn, tanking manus is harder than I thought it would be.

I think I can manage it though. Just need to figure out blocking patterns and look out for his dark magic.

Antiwhippy

I know about the silver pendant, but I want to challenge myself and fight him without it.

actually I'm just too lazy to get it. :p

Wolfe

I know about the silver pendant, but I want to challenge myself and fight him without it.

actually I'm just too lazy to get it. :p

Honestly it would prolly be just as challenging trying to time it right to cancel the magic, I hate using that pendant lol.

Was invading chasm of abyss and encounter 2 gankers, the phantom was waiting near the fog gate and the host was hiding in the back with dragon tooth ready to backstab, died many times to them and many "well what is it" ensued. On the 5th time, I invaded just in time for the phantom to leave, presumably to let the host use the bonfire. And the moment the host saw me he completely panicked, he didn't even attempt to fight me, fatrolls, bouncing weapons off walls, and he even used stone flesh. After getting backstabbed by my fist 5 times in a row the guy disconnected.

It felt kind of good

I can' beat the Gaping Dragon and am having doubts about my stats.

I went with Vitality, Endurance, and Strength. Currently level ~30 or so. 16 vitality, 20 Endurance, 24 strength. And then I have the base stats of a Pyromancer in everything else.

I hate my weapons right now. Zweihander is just too slow. I hate it. Battle Axe is better but is getting dated. I can barely make a dent in the Gaping Dragon. Tempted to remake a Pyromancer and focus on Dexterity since those weapons are faster and I found a great dex katana.

Ideally I'd like to not lose all my character progress though. Anyone have any tips on how to beat the damn dragon? I summoned a Phantom beforehand and he helped me almost take it down but then he died and I got destroyed in a second by his "grab + chomp chomp chomp" attack.

edit: Apparently scaling sucks now, and I should just invest enough stats for the weapon I want to use and then go through the game until I can make it elemental?

I went with Vitality, Endurance, and Strength. Currently level ~30 or so. 16 vitality, 20 Endurance, 24 strength. And then I have the base stats of a Pyromancer in everything else.

I hate my weapons right now. Zweihander is just too slow. I hate it. Battle Axe is better but is getting dated. I can barely make a dent in the Gaping Dragon. Tempted to remake a Pyromancer and focus on Dexterity since those weapons are faster and I found a great dex katana.

Ideally I'd like to not lose all my character progress though. Anyone have any tips on how to beat the damn dragon? I summoned a Phantom beforehand and he helped me almost take it down but then he died and I got destroyed in a second by his "grab + chomp chomp chomp" attack.
It's never so much about your stats/level as your weapon. Have you upgraded it? Since you're in the Depths you can take your weapons to +10 - do that or at least to +6 or 7, should be able to do that without farming shards. If you're not liking the Zweihander, try something a little faster. The Halberd is a good choice, you most likely picked it up from the Parish area. To +10 a weapon you need 9 each of regular and large titanite shards. The slugs outside the bonfire room in the Depths drop large ones (as well as green shards).

If you want to use Dex weapons like the Uchigatana, you only need put a few points into Dex to do so - on a first run it's no biggie to have a few wasted points here or there. Uchi is 14/14 IIRC but only scales with dex, so your extra 10 strength points would be a waste, better to go for either pure strength weapons or ones that scales with both dex and str (so called 'quality' weapons).

Gaping Dragon - Don't stand in front of him. Even though his head is his weakest spot. When he does the move where he comes down, you have time to get a couple of hits in on his head - other than that, stay behind him, then just watch out for his tail swipes. Use the pine resin sold by the merchant in the Depths, all dragons are weak to lightning.

When he flies up, run/roll out of the way and then just go back around his backside.

It's never so much about your stats/level as your weapon. Have you upgraded it? Since you're in the Depths you can take your weapons to +10 - do that or at least to +6 or 7, should be able to do that without farming shards. If you're not liking the Zweihander, try something a little faster. The Halberd is a good choice, you most likely picked it up from the Parish area. To +10 a weapon you need 9 each of regular and large titanite shards. The slugs outside the bonfire room in the Depths drop large ones (as well as green shards).

If you want to use Dex weapons like the Uchigatana, you only need put a few points into Dex to do so - on a first run it's no biggie to have a few wasted points here or there. Uchi is 14/14 IIRC but only scales with dex, so your extra 10 strength points would be a waste, better to go for either pure strength weapons or ones that scales with both dex and str (so called 'quality' weapons).

Gaping Dragon - Don't stand in front of him. Even though his head is his weakest spot. When he does the move where he comes down, you have time to get a couple of hits in on his head - other than that, stay behind him, then just watch out for his tail swipes. Use the pine resin sold by the merchant in the Depths, all dragons are weak to lightning.

When he flies up, run/roll out of the way and then just go back around his backside.

Battleaxe has +2 on it right now. Zweihander is +0 but I really hate it... so slow I can't stand it.

What's a really quick weapon? I like the Uchigatana a lot. Damage isn't too impressive but it is fast.

You also said to go for scaling weapons, but apparently elemental ones are better? When's the soonest I can upgrade a weapon to lightning?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.

edit: Apparently scaling sucks now, and I should just invest enough stats for the weapon I want to use and then go through the game until I can make it elemental?

Coming from new player that just beat the boss yesterday, then died from poison gas trying to leave the Depths. Your stats were higher than mine, but I used a uchigatana +5. And make sure you are less than 50% encumbrance, for roll speed.

Killed the sniper guy up top. Then went without summon. Also this was my 2nd try, so I sort of learned the gaping dragon move set. Here is what I did.

Attack tail when the dragon is still. Run away once it starts to move. When it rears up opening the teeth, get far away, that would one shot me.
He seemed to go through the pillars with attacks no problem, but I think that made it take longer to run to me, so that is when I flasked up. I want to say I used two fire resins, but i'm not positive it was the run I killed it, or died at.
I also had flask +1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom