• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seance

Banned
Four Kings down. Now watching my trusty black knight sword deal 38 damage to the armored boar guarding Duke's. Time to get real. Any suggestions?

Also, should I tackle the DLC now? I already took out Sif so I'll miss out on the added/altered cutscene, but is
there anything else I should do before heading in? Which leads me to: Where do I find this next gollum?

The boars have massive defense. Use two-handed melee strikes too, otherwise your weapon gets deflected.
Magic/Pyro/miracles would be the ideal way to go.

Four Kings down. Now watching my trusty black knight sword deal 38 damage to the armored boar guarding Duke's. Time to get real. Any suggestions?

Also, should I tackle the DLC now? I already took out Sif so I'll miss out on the added/altered cutscene, but is
there anything else I should do before heading in? Which leads me to: Where do I find this next gollum?

I you don't have access to elemental damage (pyromancy, sorcery), get firebombs and resins should do the trick as well.

Check the DLC as soon as possible to get a feel on when to get back. The first boss is rather easy even if you aren't very skilled, but after that things get really unforgiving. Artorias is my favorite boss fight from Dark Souls! Anyway, upgrade armour and get ready to roll dodge to a fraction of a second!

In what case do you want to go to the bottom of Sen's?

Just don't think about going there to get the titanite as someone already said without the rusted iron ring.

Soulhouf

Just wanted to suggest to some of you seasoned Dark Souls players, preferably those of you that PvP as much or more as PvE to a little challenge playthrough called,

Meowcenaries.

NG++(even higher if you'd like) Speedrun

Must be a part of the Cat Covenant for entire playthrough.

Must wear Cat Covenant ring at all times, only exceptions are during Cat Invasions and Boss fights, you can switch off ring to fight boss or invasion with a better ring.

Must stay in Hollow form at all times, no phantom help with areas or bosses, also won't interrupt Cat invasions with Darkwraith/Darkmoon area invasions.

Killing all bosses is a bonus challenge, including DLC, but you can just go for a standard speedrun if you'd like.

During cat invasions you must try to kill the host, you cannot black crystal out and continue level progression, if you do black crystal, you must stay still back in your world until you get another cat invasion.

As long as you see Target Destroyed, invasion was a success, doesn't matter if you, another invader or gravity caused the kill.

If you survive fight, you get your spells and Estus refilled, and can continue where you left off. If you die, you respawn at last bonfire rested at and have to make up your progress all over again.

The idea is interesting, I kind of did it with one of my 1st characters but it got so annoying because you are getting summoned constantly and thus killed by gankers. Being in Europe and so, almost all the time playing when Japanese and NA players are online in addition to the European doesn't help.

Perhaps it's more manageable nowadays since the online activity dropped.

Kweh

I have just got to New Londo and I'm dreading fighting 4 Kings again. On my 360 playthrough I just cheaped it using Havel's gear and just stood there swinging.

Also, where do I see the new DLC content? I have acquired the Lordvessel and haven't found any new areas yet?

The boars have massive defense. Use two-handed melee strikes too, otherwise your weapon gets deflected.
Magic/Pyro/miracles would be the ideal way to go.
Backstab! It looks hilarious, right up the butt! lol

Also, where do I see the new DLC content? I have acquired the Lordvessel and haven't found any new areas yet?
1. Kill Darkroot Hydra, rescue Dusk from the Golem. (need to leave area or quit/reload for it appear after defeating the Hydra)
2. Kill the Golem at the start of Dukes Archives, it drops a pendant.
3. Go back to where Dusk's Golem was, there is a portal.

Kweh

Backstab! It looks hilarious, right up the butt! lol

1. Kill Darkroot Hydra, rescue Dusk from the Golem. (need to leave area or quit/reload for it appear after defeating the Hydra)
2. Kill the Golem at the start of Dukes Archives, it drops a pendant.
3. Go back to where Dusk's Golem was, there is a portal.

Okay nice thanks. Just did all stuff near there yesterday!

Thanks, guys, but the butt stab wasn't working like it did for the early game one.

I need suggestions on how to upgrade weapons beyond standard +.
i prefer the chaos path, but i find the easiest to obtain to be lightning. even easier than that are the special weapons from certain monsters that upgrade using twinkling, if you want to count those.

lightning is simple, just get a weapon to +10, then get the giant blacksmith to ascend it--no ember required, but you'll need a chunk. for upgrades, you can farm the 2 royal sentries in the same area for chunks, or venture into new londo ruins for a ton.

chaos requires getting the ember in the demon ruins after beating the ceaseless discharge. then heading down to the catacombs blacksmith. make sure you have a +5 weapon, 9 (iirc) greens, and at least 1 red. greens can be farmed from the slimes in blighttown, and reds can be found in lost izalith.

i'd recommend just getting an ascended pyro flame +5 and either great fireball or great combustion as an alternative to a backup fire weapon. or just buy a stack of charcoal resin from the female undead merch.

yet another alternative is to exploit physical damage type weaknesses, rather than relying on elemental damage. the metal boars are weak to strike damage iirc, so a large club or mace would work.

FUCK THESE SILVER KNIGHT ARCHERS TO FUCKING HELL. Terrible, impossible to get past with a melee build.

What the fuck, this game is now favoring the bow and arrow over all else. Fuck this, I keep getting killed by the stupid fucking bat demons right before the archers. Fuck this trash, I don't have fucking time for this shit.

Well you can always summon a couple of phantoms if all else fails.

RSLAEV

You can use a bow to get the tail. Makes things a lot faster than waiting for that one attack.

I thought about that, but it looked like his tail just isn't exposed when you are keeping him at a distance. I'll give this a try tonight.

Ushae

Banned
Ok GAF, I'm hooked on this game. Just got it a week ago and I managed to get upto the Gargoyle and defeated them both with the help of Solaire.

I started with a Cleric and have been bolstering my Endurance, Vitality and Faith while using my shitty mace to bludgeon anything that makes a wrong move to death.

I have a few questions I need guidance on. I understand weapons can be ascended, if I go for the Divine path will my Faith stat scale with my weapon damage? Does it matter which weapon I use, as I am also planning on getting lightning miracle at some point. Also which armor should I be going for with a hybrid build of weapon/miracle use?

Thanks,

U

P.S. Any tips on killing the bridge dragon (red one) as I need to join the covenant with the new miracles I am after.

Ok GAF, I'm hooked on this game. Just got it a week ago and I managed to get upto the Gargoyle and defeated them both with the help of Solaire.

I started with a Cleric and have been bolstering my Endurance, Vitality and Faith while using my shitty mace to bludgeon anything that makes a wrong move to death.

I have a few questions I need guidance on. I understand weapons can be ascended, if I go for the Divine path will my Faith stat scale with my weapon damage? Does it matter which weapon I use, as I am also planning on getting lightning miracle at some point. Also which armor should I be going for with a hybrid build of weapon/miracle use?

Thanks,

U

P.S. Any tips on killing the bridge dragon (red one) as I need to join the covenant with the new miracles I am after.

If you want to buff weapons later, ascend them through the normal path, not divine. That'll maximize your damage output down the road.

I'd suggest having at least 1 Divine weapon in your inventory though, if only to help out with the Catacombs.

Armor isn't hugely important - it's all really a balancing act between 3 factors: poise, weight, and appearance (yes, armor class, the very point of armor, is basically a non-issue). Are you willing to slow-roll for the sake of appearance? Are you willing to look like a doofus to optimize your poise/weight ratio? All questions to consider.

As for the dragon, just lure it down onto the bridge. Once it's there run past it straight for the bonfire. I wouldn't worry about killing it yet (or ever, really).

Been role-playing a Darkwraith on NG++. Pretty fun stuff. Running around sucking out all of the NPC's humanity is pretty fun.

Too bad that I'm not really a fan of the Dark Hand and Dark Sword...

Hello Dark Souls-GAF. Lately I've become interested in this game. 40 Euros is too rich for my blood, though. How low do you think it'll go in the next Steam Sale? Also, the Prepare To Die Edition is the one I should get, right?

EDIT: Also, physical or digital?

I think it was at 9€ in amazon and I have seen a couple of times at 20€ on steam!

Ushae

Banned
If you want to buff weapons later, ascend them through the normal path, not divine. That'll maximize your damage output down the road.

I'd suggest having at least 1 Divine weapon in your inventory though, if only to help out with the Catacombs.

Armor isn't hugely important - it's all really a balancing act between 3 factors: poise, weight, and appearance (yes, armor class, the very point of armor, is basically a non-issue). Are you willing to slow-roll for the sake of appearance? Are you willing to look like a doofus to optimize your poise/weight ratio? All questions to consider.

As for the dragon, just lure it down onto the bridge. Once it's there run past it straight for the bonfire. I wouldn't worry about killing it yet (or ever, really).

Ok, I'm going to sound like a total moron here so I apologize in advance. So armor doesn't ... mitigate damage with heavier pieces??? Poise, does that mean stature/balance ..what exactly is the benefit of that?

What about scaling Faith with my weapon, at what point should I ascend to a divine weapon, if there's even any point to that as a Cleric/Warrior type character?

Thanks really appreciate the help.

Edit: Can you explain how scaling works with weapons as well, I'm not sure how I should be approaching leveling. Don't want to fuck it up since it's a permanent change.

Sullichin

Ok, I'm going to sound like a total moron here so I apologize in advance. So armor doesn't ... mitigate damage with heavier pieces??? Poise, does that mean stature/balance ..what exactly is the benefit of that?

What about scaling Faith with my weapon, at what point should I ascend to a divine weapon, if there's even any point to that as a Cleric/Warrior type character?

Thanks really appreciate the help.

Edit: Can you explain how scaling works with weapons as well, I'm not sure how I should be approaching leveling. Don't want to fuck it up since it's a permanent change.

More poise will prevent you from getting staggered/interrupted by enemy attacks. Armor mitigates damage, but it usually won't make or break you. But what might make or break you is being able to roll fast vs clunking on the ground because you're wearing heavy armor with slightly better defense.

The "parambonus" section of the item detail screen shows you what stats a weapon scales with. The below screenshot shows the screen I'm talking about. In that screen, the weapon has C scaling in strength and dexterity. The "+175" part shows how much damage is added from my strength/dex stats. S is the best, then A,B,etc. The icons in that section represent strength, dexterity, intelligence, and faith, in that order. When you take it along the divine path, it lowers strength/dexterity scaling and adds magic damage with scales with your faith stat. It's not the most damaging upgrade path, but it's not a bad choice if you plan on investing in faith. If you also make a +15 weapon, you will be able to apply a temporary magic buff to it later on, with the appropriate miracle if your faith is 30 or above.

C4414FD9FB22E7A4B5774D8894060DC57562134F

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You don't do that at the giant blacksmith. You have to find the very large ember in the new londo ruins after you've drained the water, then you give it to andrei.

Giant blacksmith is for lightning and boss soul weapons.

789shadow

Banned
You don't do that at the giant blacksmith. You have to find the very large ember in the new londo ruins after you've drained the water, then you give it to andrei.

Giant blacksmith is for lightning and boss soul weapons.
Ah, I see. Also, does the Silver Knight Armor give more defense than the Elite Knight set?

Seanspeed

Banned
Ah, I see. Also, does the Silver Knight Armor give more defense than the Elite Knight set?

Silver Knight set is superior not-upgraded, but fully upgraded, Elite Knight set has better protection, minutely less weight, and just slightly less poise. Not much in it in the end. Probably best to just go with what you think looks best.

Booshka

Cursed or uncursed Sword of Artorias? That is the question. Advantages of uncursed are...? Seems the dmg is higher with cursed plus it can strike ghosts.

Cursed can attack ghosts, Uncursed can kill Skeletons, and does bonus damage to them. Cursed sword is better because it is pure physical damage, the uncursed is both magic and physical, so you net less damage unless your stats are crazy high and the magic scaling surpasses pure physical.

Kweh

Yeah, 70 is closer to endgame/ng+. I think 40-50 is a more common range for O+S. Can always just use Solaire, he makes it pretty easy by himself.

Oh I didn't realise your level was taken into consideration to getting summoned. That explains why I'm hardly getting any now at SL72 for O+S.

Booo. I thought that would be an easy way to soul farm ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Like Deified said, you can just run past him after luring him onto the bridge, but if you want to kill it with melee, here's how I usually do it. Fast rolling and a strong but decently fast-swinging weapon help immensely.

- Start in the stairs leading to the bridge. Two-hand your strongest weapon.
- When you get on the bridge, he'll probably breathe his fire (unless you're really fast), so run up to the "cover" between the stairs and that wall, it's safe there. Orient your character to face the other side of the bridge (perpendicular to the bridge length).
- Wait a few seconds there (maybe 10 secs, not very long). The drake will suddenly leap onto the bridge. Don't use lock-on.
- Immediately run towards the bridge centre when the drake leaps and do your strongest attack on its head. If you positioned your character correctly, you will hit the drake's head perfectly.
- Roll away and run back down the stairs. Wait for it to breathe its fire and return to its initial perch.

You might get hit by its swipe or even by fire a few times if you mess up your timing. That's ok, just keep retreating downstairs and drink a flask. Rinse, repeat until dead. I killed it with a level 1 character using a reinforced club+5, it took a while but it wasn't even that bad, even by getting hit a few times I still had estus to spare.

Note, this is how I do it when using melee, I never used a guide or anything. There might be a better, faster or more optimal way to kill the red drake that I don't know about. Maybe there's a way to do it without having to retreat to the safe spot, but I found that I always get hit by the fire if I don't do that (the "cover" areas don't work when he's belching fire when he's on the bridge, they only work when he's perched up high) but I could be doing something wrong. ^^ Anyway, that's my method and it works fairly well. With a stronger weapon he'll go down in just a couple of hits to the head.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there an easy (quickish) way to get a cursed weapon? I've just gone to New Londo.
Not really, unless you're lucky and get a jagged ghost blade drop from the ghosts... honestly, just buy all the transient curses from the zombie lady, and use that in New Londo (don't worry about running out, since the patch you can buy unlimited transient curses from the merchant in that area, plus the ghosts drop them fairly frequently). Transient curses last about 5 minutes, which is plenty.

Just keep in mind that an active transient curse counts as a defensive buff, so you can't use another defensive buff at the same time (such as a green blossom, magic barrier miracle, power within pyro, etc.). So if you reach the boss and want to use such a buff, wait for the transient curse to expire first.

Arjen

Is there an easy (quickish) way to get a cursed weapon? I've just gone to New Londo.

The ghost can drop ghost blades, but those weapons suck, just get transient curses (you can find two near the entrances, and the female undead sells 4 as well.)

The enemies drop plenty of Transient Curses. Buy enough from the female undead merchant to get some kills, then supplement those with the kills you get by using the ones you bought.

The Cursed Greatsword of Artorias isn't worth it :(

Looks cool though :p

Get into the football thread

The enemies drop plenty of Transient Curses. Buy enough from the female undead merchant to get some kills, then supplement those with the kills you get by using the ones you bought.

The Cursed Greatsword of Artorias isn't worth it :(

Looks cool though :p

Get into the football thread
Not worth it? Why not? It's what I'm actively trying to attain to replace my +4 Black Knight sword. Will it be worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom