• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
5UDdpk7.jpg

praise the sun!

Wolfe

Negligible physical damage, no 'elemental' effects relevant to 99% of enemies, ridiculously slow attack speed

Yeah but it looks badass!

I say if you want to use it and don't care about the point spread then go for it, I play 100% by looks personally since I know you can excel with anything in the game if you wanted.

Honestly though the only version of the Artorias sword I could bring myself to use (I had already made the non cursed version on my first character but couldn't use it due to the stat allocation) was the Abyss Greatsword from the DLC due to the humanity scaling and rad moveset. Doesn't bother me that it's slow as hell as I used the black knight great sword on many of my characters for a long while and I loved that thing, guess the only things to replace it for me so far is the Abyss Greatsword and the Obsidian Greatsword.

Ushae

Banned
Man you guys are amazing help here. If I ever need any help with bosses is it possible to summon help for it?

My GT is same as my ID, Ushae. I'll let you know when I eventually hit a brick wall. :)

Thanks very much for the advise here.

Edit: HOLY SHIT SOLAIRE IS PLAYING DS :O

Yeah but it looks badass!

I say if you want to use it and don't care about the point spread then go for it, I play 100% by looks personally since I know you can excel with anything in the game if you wanted.

Honestly though the only version of the Artorias sword I could bring myself to use (I had already made the non cursed version on my first character but couldn't use it due to the stat allocation) was the Abyss Greatsword from the DLC due to the humanity scaling and rad moveset. Doesn't bother me that it's slow as hell as I used the black knight great sword on many of my characters for a long while and I loved that thing, guess the only things to replace it for me so far is the Abyss Greatsword and the Obsidian Greatsword.
Since I rock the black knight sword, I should love the Artorias sword? How do you go about acquiring the abyss sword and the oblivion? I like my physical sword only build.

Booshka

Since I rock the black knight sword, I should love the Artorias sword? How do you go about acquiring the abyss sword and the oblivion? I like my physical sword only build.

If you like the Black Knight Sword, you should upgrade to a +15 Claymore. It will do plenty of damage with the right stats, it weighs 6.0 and has an excellent moveset. You can find it on the bridge where the hellkite dragon is, suicide run for it if you have to.

Best way to farm for Large shards is Blighttown swamp I would say, there are about 25 leeches that have a pretty good drop rate for Large Shards and Green Titanite. Top of Sen's fortress is a pretty good spot too, and you can buy them from merchant up top in Sen's (4000 a piece), or the Giant Blacksmith Anor Londo (3800 a piece).

In general Boss weapons aren't that great in Dark Souls, there are a few exceptions, but the best weapons are usually the ones you pick up or buy for cheap. You have to invest in upgrading them with souls and materials, but they get very strong if you forge them to correspond with your stats.

If you like the Black Knight Sword, you should upgrade to a +15 Claymore. It will do plenty of damage with the right stats, it weighs 6.0 and has an excellent moveset. You can find it on the bridge where the hellkite dragon is, suicide run for it if you have to.

Best way to farm for Large shards is Blighttown swamp I would say, there are about 25 leeches that have a pretty good drop rate for Large Shards and Green Titanite. Top of Sen's fortress is a pretty good spot too, and you can buy them from merchant up top in Sen's (4000 a piece), or the Giant Blacksmith Anor Londo (3800 a piece).

In general Boss weapons aren't that great in Dark Souls, there are a few exceptions, but the best weapons are usually the ones you pick up or buy for cheap. You have to invest in upgrading them with souls and materials, but they get very strong if you forge them to correspond with your stats.
Now since I'm not a pvp player, is it still ok for me to want these weapons based on look with upgrades to give decent damage for the end game and new game+? I've defeated 4Ks, placed the vessel and want some more weapons other than a +4 Black Knight sword going forward.

Booshka

Now since I'm not a pvp player, is it still ok for me to want these weapons based on look with upgrades to give decent damage for the end game and new game+? I've defeated 4Ks, placed the vessel and want some more weapons other than a +4 Black Knight sword going forward.

Anything is fine as long as you upgrade it, in PvE or PvP. Just try out a lot of different weapons, if you like the moveset, upgrade it. NG+ will test some of your weapons if they aren't upgraded well enough along with your stats, but most weapons will see you through NG+ without too much trouble.

Wolfe

The Abyss Greatsword is from the soul of Artorias (one of the bosses of the DLC), whereas the Obsidian Greatsword is from cutting off the tail of Kalameet (spelling?), another one of the DLC bosses.

chunk3rvd

i'm getting absolutely no games as a darkmoon. you guys need to start sinning.

Ever since I found out that indictments increase the level range for darkmoon invasion I find myself in turmoil. I want to indict people so that more people get PvP action but at the same time, I don't want to give the satisfaction to some tool who just one shotted me with dark magic and is doing come at me bro over my corpse :/

Metaroo

I've been dicking around for the past two days after miserably failing to defeat Ornstein and Smoomoo. I never realized how fun it could be helping other people defeat bosses. I've beaten Quelaag like 10 times now, and I'm getting more souls than I know what to do with. I think I might make the Chaos Furysword and upgrade it to max to help defeat Mega-Ornstein.

Sullichin

Ever since I found out that indictments increase the level range for darkmoon invasion I find myself in turmoil. I want to indict people so that more people get PvP action but at the same time, I don't want to give the satisfaction to some tool who just one shotted me with dark magic and is doing come at me bro over my corpse :/

I like getting indictments (as any invader should). But people seem to use it as a "fuck you" not realizing that the invader wants it. My black knight who invades in ToTG and Dukes has more indicts than any of my other characters, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I don't usually 'play nice' with that character. To me there's two types of invasions, duels and traditional invasions. Sometimes the latter will turn into the former if we both bow and have a fair duel in an open space. But it's very satisfying to stalk a host through a level as well. These types of invasions really make the online play in DeS/DS stand out. I love that etiquette is unspoken and not enforced in any way. I decide my level of assholeness on an invasion-by-invasion basis based on a variety of factors. Does this guy have 2 phantoms, is he chugging estus, is he much better equipped than me, is he a complete noob, is he standing in a perfect spot to get plunge attacked? If the host is standing by the bonfire desperately trying to summon a phantom, I might leave or drop a humanity and then fight him. If he spams estus I will backstab punish him to death and might pop humanity myself if it's safe to do so - otherwise I don't heal. But even if the host is healing it's more satisfying to win if you don't.

Man, Tombs of the Giants is the worst level in the games after upper blighttown for me. I skipped exploring and just looked for the boss of the area.

First playthrough btw.

Man, Tombs of the Giants is the worst level in the games after upper blighttown for me. I skipped exploring and just looked for the boss of the area.

First playthrough btw.
sunlight maggot + prism stones. i don't mind exploring because there are 2 bonfires there for a relatively small area.

Seanspeed

Banned

First playthrough btw.
I think its probably my favorite area. So miserably dark, dangerous and confusing when you first go into it. That level alone does survival horror better than almost any game out there.

Arjen

I'm watching a Smough and Ornstein co-op video, and the most hilarious thing happened there. Here's the snippet with what happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0oMI79DRTw
I laughed so hard.

So, I got this on Xbox Games on Demand yesterday and it works fine and all but when I launch it from the dashboard each time I get a weird flickering screen right at the start for about 2 seconds just before the little bonfire appears in the bottom-left. I don't know how to describe it, it's like a stair-step image across the screen with grey bands everywhere. It doesn't look healthy.

I've googled but only found one page on another site with people describing the same, but no answers. It's only happening in Dark Souls, no other games. The Xbox is in good condition, slim model about 2 years old. Hope it's not that.

Anyone ever had this happen? The game plays absolutely fine, I'm just wondering if the file is somehow corrupt. Maybe I should re-download?

Amaron

Banned
Excessive rage ahead:
Fuck the Red Drake. Fuck him fuck him fuck him ARGH. Was just crossing the bridge, thinking I had already killed that accursed thing long ago in this play-through. But nooooooooooo, he always has tortures me on every single play through on every single damn character.

Fucking just lost 89 Humanity and 4.5 million souls to that fucker. F*ck New Game +7.

I will murder that damn thing, and I will enjoy it.

/rant

EDIT: I play on PS3, so can't say it has, Smash.

krakov

So, I got this on Xbox Games on Demand yesterday and it works fine and all but when I launch it from the dashboard each time I get a weird flickering screen right at the start for about 2 seconds just before the little bonfire appears in the bottom-left. I don't know how to describe it, it's like a stair-step image across the screen with grey bands everywhere. It doesn't look healthy.

I've googled but only found one page on another site with people describing the same, but no answers. It's only happening in Dark Souls, no other games. The Xbox is in good condition, slim model about 2 years old. Hope it's not that.

Anyone ever had this happen? The game plays absolutely fine, I'm just wondering if the file is somehow corrupt. Maybe I should re-download?

Happens to me everytime I boot the game. 360 disc version.

Currently on my first playthrough. I am currently the dog with a headset, "I have no idea whst I am doing."

Im in Dead Burg, so I am still an infant pussy in this game, barely able make any scratch on guys bigger than the average baddie. I am a knight, level 8 and have died at least a dozen times.

I am at the part with either going down and fighting the scary ass big dark knight guy, or heading up spiral stairs to traverse the white light and fighting evil Chubs-McScarytits.

Help me, gaf, you are my only hope. :)

Amaron

Banned
Currently on my first playthrough. I am currently the dog with a headset, "I have no idea whst I am doing."

Im in Dead Burg, so I am still an infant pussy in this game, barely able make any scratch on guys bigger than the average baddie. I am a knight, level 8 and have died at least a dozen times.

I am at the part with either going down and fighting the scary ass big dark knight guy, or heading up spiral stairs to traverse the white light and fighting evil Chubs-McScarytits.

Help me, gaf, you are my only hope. :)

You're better off fighting Chubs-McSteroidtits than going down and facing THE ROCK.
Observe the environment carefully before you trigger the boss jumping down, you should have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done if you remember how you attacked the asylum demon in the "tutorial".

Excessive rage ahead:
Fuck the Red Drake. Fuck him fuck him fuck him ARGH. Was just crossing the bridge, thinking I had already killed that accursed thing long ago in this play-through. But nooooooooooo, he always has tortures me on every single play through on every single damn character.

Fucking just lost 89 Humanity and 4.5 million souls to that fucker. F*ck New Game +7.

I will murder that damn thing, and I will enjoy it.

/rant

EDIT: I play on PS3, so can't say it has, Smash.
ring of sacrifice. everytime. i can't think of any time/place where it would seriously hamper a retrieval. maybe if you die during 4k and dun want your favour ring to break or running through lava. but even for the most trivial retrievals, i'll wear one because why not?

Amaron

Banned
ring of sacrifice. everytime. i can't think of any time/place where it would seriously hamper a retrieval. maybe if you die during 4k and dun want your favour ring to break or running through lava. but even for the most trivial retrievals, i'll wear one because why not?

I ran out of rings of sacrifice trying to get to my stain (Only had 3, was too panicked to consider buying/trading for more :/ ). It was directly on the bridge right after you trigger the fire attack so I would always get killed before getting to my stain. Even attempted full fire resistance/red stone plate.

What am I suppose to do here in New Londo? Found the very large ember and stuff, then I passed a fog gate where there's only a gaping hole below the stairs.

Arjen

I have the same. Doens't seem to affect the game at all.

I had a flashback to DeS 4-2 yesterday whilst in the Catacombs, I dropped down through the floor to the area where the Black Knight is and I was being attacked by two invisible enemies except for their white eyes, I think the skeletons glitched out as we all broke through the floor - felt just like fighting those invisible dudes in the Shrine of Storms.

I thought they fixed it on PSN when the DLC hit, or did they break it again?

Thinking about it, I remember seeing them in loads of places just after the DLC, but now hardly ever again.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And before you ask how you should know that, the dude on top of building nead the floodgate lock mechanism told you so!

Okay then, p'rhaps you can answer this one that's been puzzling me: How were we meant to know that
we need to go back to the Undead Asylum for the Peculiar Doll and the Rusted Ring
? I cannot for the life of me recall anyone mentioning it.

Okay then, p'rhaps you can answer this one that's been puzzling me: How were we meant to know that
we need to go back to the Undead Asylum for the Peculiar Doll and the Rusted Ring
The douche in the firelink said something about it after completing undead burg.

The
Undead Asylum F2 West Key also hints that you can go back. You find it in Firelink Shrine, and the description says:

"But even if a hero found a key in Lordran to liberate this prison, would he have the means, or the heart, to ever come back?"

BadWolf

Finished the game finally today after a long hiatus, 10/10 easily.

I got most of the weapons and armor I wanted in the run so any subsequent runs should be mostly free from grinding/looting.

Don't know if I will do another run though, main fun of this series for me is the mystery of entering areas for the first time and not knowing what dangers lie ahead. I love the tension this creates. Now that I know the whole game I don't know if it will be as fun. Took a quick whirl through NG+ and sort of jogged my way through all the way till bonefire by the church/blacksmith without much effort. Will probably put the game away for now.

C0unter

So i was thinking of getting back into Dark souls pvp and was wondering how the xbox online is right now compared to how it was after 1.05.Is it pretty much dead or is it pretty easy to find invasions?Also do people use the pvp arena ,it looked pretty interesting.

krakov

So i was thinking of getting back into Dark souls pvp and was wondering how the xbox online is right now compared to how it was after 1.05.Is it pretty much dead or is it pretty easy to find invasions?Also do people use the pvp arena ,it looked pretty interesting.

Lots of action still, unfortunately lots of modders/cheaters though. Arena sucks and I doubt you'll get matched up there easily these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom