• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

Just bought this game on Monday... Good god, this game is amazing, already one of my favorite RPGs.

So far I've mostly finished up (and taking out the bosses) in Undead Burg, Parish, and Depths, and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Would you guys recommend Blighttown or Darkroot for the next areas? (I'm SL 30 spreading my souls equally between STR, DEX, and END with a little VIT. Also have some pyromancy spells since I started as the 'mancer)

Put your stats into VIT/END/STR or VIT/END/DEX, it will make the playthrough go smoother for you I think.

Usually I have a quick look in Darkroot to pick up some nice equipment (armor, bow, grass shield etc) and stock up on anti-poison etc items (the bush guys there drop them often) and then head to Blighttown. Anti-poison/toxin items are very important for that area.

Just bought this game on Monday... Good god, this game is amazing, already one of my favorite RPGs.

So far I've mostly finished up (and taking out the bosses) in Undead Burg, Parish, and Depths, and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. Would you guys recommend Blighttown or Darkroot for the next areas? (I'm SL 30 spreading my souls equally between STR, DEX, and END with a little VIT. Also have some pyromancy spells since I started as the 'mancer)

Also, is the barbed straight sword viable in PvE? Should I spend some titanite upgrading it? Bleed sounds pretty useful.

I think the general consensus is that any weapon is suitable for PVE as long as you upgrade it and/or are sufficiently skilled. If you are pumping both STR and DEX you should probably try to find a weapon that scales with both stats decently.

Put your stats into VIT/END/STR or VIT/END/DEX, it will make the playthrough go smoother for you I think.

Usually I have a quick look in Darkroot to pick up some nice equipment (armor, bow, grass shield etc) and stock up on anti-poison etc items (the bush guys there drop them often) and then head to Blighttown. Anti-poison/toxin items are very important for that area.

I'd list END first. Endurance is amazingly important and useable by any and all builds.

I finished my first playthrough...I think I will go for gravelord covenant. Seems like the best for PVP shenanigans. Forest was crappy.

I leveled up Strenght and Dex almost equally on my first playthrough. I like switching between armor/weps when I get bored with one. Currently rocking Silver Knight with Elite Knight Helm.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Only one NPC, and for the Uchigatana. I've avoided killing anyone else.

Ok so is the armor the guy sells in the sewers (with the Gaping Dragon) any decent? I bought the Armor of the Glorious and I like it thus far (both in terms of looks and stats) and am wondering if the rest of the armor set is worth saving up for. I'll need to max my Endurance though because its so damn heavy. Had to exchange most of my other chainmail for thief-type and sorcerer-type armor.

I also went to the foresty place that has Leather Armor + the Longbow. Dueled a Knight guy, and almost won. But then fell off the edge of a cliff and died. Good news is that he jumped off to attack me right as I fell, and the game registered it as me killing him netting me a nice blue titanite shard. :)

The merchant in the depths sells boss armour once you defeat them, though most of them are there just to look cool.

I'm pretty far into the game, but it's doing its damnedest to make me hate it at this point. It's one thing to be challenging, it's another to design the game around being as aggravating as possible. For example: I'm on my way to fight the four kings, but the fire at Firelink is out. So the nearest save spot is about three areas away now that the central bonfire is gone making each trip more grating than the last.

So I set out to fix the fire and hunt that guy down. Problem is, that fight is extraordinarily cheap, especially for my thief type class. I have to fight three guys at once (that almost never separate from each other), I can't lure them out one by one, even the Gold bastard's attack ignores your shield. And to cap it all off, you can't heal. I'm pretty decent at the combat at this point, but this is ridiculous.

All this because the Devs decided not to put a damn bonfire in New Londo.

Sullichin

I'm pretty far into the game, but it's doing its damnedest to make me hate it at this point. It's one thing to be challenging, it's another to design the game around being as aggravating as possible. For example: I'm on my way to fight the four kings, but the fire at Firelink is out. So the nearest save spot is about three areas away now that the central bonfire is gone making each trip more grating than the last.

So I set out to fix the fire and hunt that guy down. Problem is, that fight is extraordinarily cheap, especially for my thief type class. I have to fight three guys at once (that almost never separate from each other), I can't lure them out one by one, even the Gold bastard's attack ignores your shield. And to cap it all off, you can't heal. I'm pretty decent at the combat at this point, but this is ridiculous.

If you don't want to kill Lautrec you can use the bonfire at Valley of Drakes/Darkroot basin which is nearly as close as the firelink one. I agree the Lautrec fight can be frustrating with certain builds. You don't have to kill the other guys though, so you can just go rambo on Lautrec (gold guy). You're invulnerable during backstabs so that might be the best option for your build. Also, you can use humanity to heal.

Piano

Banned

Also, is the barbed straight sword viable in PvE? Should I spend some titanite upgrading it? Bleed sounds pretty useful.

Do as much as you can in Darkroot and then head to Blighttown. As was mentioned above, you're going to need a lot of purple moss / blooming purple moss for Blighttown and Darkroot is a great place to stock up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So I worked up my courage and decided to venture into the second area of Darkroot Garden again. Really glad I did because I managed to snag the Elite Armor set off of a corpse before waking up the tree monsters and sleeping knights, ran like hell until I was out of the area, and equipped the new set. I feel pretty sturdy for where I am in the game now (beat Gaping Dragon a couple of days ago, didn't proceed to Blighttown) between the combination of the Elite Knight set and Havel's Ring. Huge defense boosts and still under 50% encumbrance when my END is only 14? Yes, please. I'm going to get my Pyro glove to +7 or +8 and then I think I might be ready to fry some undead in Blighttown.

edit: I'm relatively new to trying Pyromancy, so will it ever be possible to purchase duplicates of certain pyro spells? Being limited to 16 Combustions and 8 Fireballs is painful right now.

Sullichin

So I worked up my courage and decided to venture into the second area of Darkroot Garden again. Really glad I did because I managed to snag the Elite Armor set off of a corpse before waking up the tree monsters and sleeping knights, ran like hell until I was out of the area, and equipped the new set. I feel pretty sturdy for where I am in the game now (beat Gaping Dragon a couple of days ago, didn't proceed to Blighttown) between the combination of the Elite Knight set and Havel's Ring. Huge defense boosts and still under 50% encumbrance when my END is only 14? Yes, please. I'm going to get my Pyro glove to +7 or +8 and then I think I might be ready to fry some undead in Blighttown.

edit: I'm relatively new to trying Pyromancy, so will it ever be possible to purchase duplicates of certain pyro spells? Being limited to 16 Combustions and 8 Fireballs is painful right now.

Yes, there is another pyro trainer in Blighttown that sells duplicates of those and more importantly, better pyro spells.

If you don't want to kill Lautrec you can use the bonfire at Valley of Drakes/Darkroot basin which is nearly as close as the firelink one. I agree the Lautrec fight can be frustrating with certain builds. You don't have to kill the other guys though, so you can just go rambo on Lautrec (gold guy). You're invulnerable during backstabs so that might be the best option for your build. Also, you can use humanity to heal.

I tried that one for a while, but dodging the drakes was too iffy and it was a bit too far. Firelink is safe and a couple minutes closer. Which helps a ton when you're dying repeatedly from the cheap bullshittery in New Londo. I haven't even made it to the boss yet (even though I have cleared the area before), which will probably cause me to back track a couple other dozen times. I've enjoyed this game for quite a bit, but its when they get too caught up in this "Oh yeah, well how about this!" attitude where I just want to stop. They just put so many factors in to screw the player, they sometimes forget to make the game fun. In my opinion, at least.

And I've tried to just get the jump on Lautrec. The others just clip through him and make any focus on him a nightmare. I actually countered him twice in a row, but as soon as the last animation ended I got railed by the spear guy. If only this game allowed enemies to hit each other...

BadWolf

I tried that one for a while, but dodging the drakes was too iffy and it was a bit too far. Firelink is safe and a couple minutes closer. Which helps a ton when you're dying repeatedly from the cheap bullshittery in New Londo. I haven't even made it to the boss yet (even though I have cleared the area before), which will probably cause me to back track a couple other dozen times. I've enjoyed this game for quite a bit, but its when they get too caught up in this "Oh yeah, well how about this!" attitude where I just want to stop. They just put so many factors in to screw the player, they sometimes forget to make the game fun. In my opinion, at least.

And I've tried to just get the jump on Lautrec. The others just clip through him and make any focus on him a nightmare. I actually countered him twice in a row, but as soon as the last animation ended I got railed by the spear guy. If only this game allowed enemies to hit each other...

There is a reason I do Anor Londo before New Londo Ruins, try heading there first instead of getting frustrated right now.

Why doing Anor Londo first is good:
you can warp between bonfires after you finish Anor Londo. So you can warp to the Firelink bonfire even though you can't rest at it.So you can die at 4 kings, get revived at Undead Perish and then just warp to Firelink.

Wolfe

I've had no problem luring his two cronies out before him each time I fought Lautrec, just when you invade his world only try inching forward until they agro or shooting them with a bow (can't remember what way worked).

you can warp between bonfires after you finish Anor Londo. So you can warp to the Firelink bonfire even though you can't rest at it.So you can die at 4 kings, get revived at Undead Perish and then just warp to Firelink.

This only works if you're not going for darkwraith cov or for the alt ending though right? (can't remember if you have to place the lordvessel to be able to warp or if you can just do it by receiving it)

Sullichin

I second BadWolf's advice that you should do Anor Londo first for the reason he stated - also you are going to want to have a +15 weapon for the New Londo boss if you don't already

There is a reason I do Anor Londo before New Londo Ruins, try heading there first instead of getting frustrated right now.

I was under the impression Lando gave you the warp ability. Maybe I'm misreading though, but I'm right before the boss anyway since I'm fighting Lautrec.

I've had no problem luring his two cronies out before him each time I fought Lautrec, just when you invade his world only try inching forward until they agro or shooting them with a bow (can't remember what way worked).

I've tried that a lot, and while it's worked for most of the other encounters they all get alerted when I hit one with my bow. They all just charge at me, even though I have the ring of fog on and they shouldn't be able to see me from that distance.

I second BadWolf's advice that you should do Anor Londo first for the reason he stated - also you are going to want to have a +15 weapon for the New Londo boss if you don't already

I have a +5 Jagged Ghost Dagger that's been pretty great so far. Does the Bandit Knife outclass it in later levels? I'm not seeing where I can upgrade the Ghost Dagger past 5.

I finished my first playthrough...I think I will go for gravelord covenant. Seems like the best for PVP shenanigans. Forest was crappy.
sure, if you don't like actually doing pvp. in all my hours of play, and even with actively seeking gravelorders, not even one. i managed to find the sign once, but got an error trying to connect.

undead parish bonfire is less than 1 min away and no enemies along the way. and if you set out to fix the fire, why wouldn't you just kill ornstein and get the lordvessel? you can warp to firelink, but not from firelink with the light out. as for doing psuedo-pvp vs npcs, you don't have the lag from p2p so all attacks can be parried very easily on reaction. lautrec can die in 1 riposte depending on gear, and it counts as a victory without worrying bout the other npcs.

another bonfire option is running through the valley of drakes via the darkroot bonfire.

I have a +5 Jagged Ghost Dagger that's been pretty great so far. Does the Bandit Knife outclass it in later levels? I'm not seeing where I can upgrade the Ghost Dagger past 5.
It's a special weapon upgraded with Twinkling IIRC? So no, it doesn't go past five. I think it's time to get something better though, can't imagine doing 4 Kings with a ghost blade!

As for the Lautrec fight. If I'm on a fragile build I will use the stairs to make sure they can't all attack you at the same time. Having them queuing up to die helps! Crest shield to block his sorcerer buddy too.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, getting the very large ember early on is pretty sweet.

I can't figure out the bat-demons in Anor Londo. I have
an Eagle Shield to block their attacks, but I don't know how to handle 2 of them at once, especially with the guy somewhere shooting giant arrows at you.

Johnas

I can't figure out the bat-demons in Anor Londo. I have
an Eagle Shield to block their attacks, but I don't know how to handle 2 of them at once, especially with the guy somewhere shooting giant arrows at you.

Are you at the bottom of that "ramp", where two of them hang out right before the archers?

You can usually lure both of them to the end of the ramp, and while you're on the ramp near the end of it, just melee attack them, one of them usually tries to hit you and falls to his death, then you can just handle the other one.

Normally, that closer archer can't hit me from there. I may remember once or twice where he could. What I usually did was walk off the ramp a little, swing my weapon and hit the ground to get their attention, then run back as they approach.

Any of them prior to those two, you can gently lure toward you one at a time for easy disposal.

So the Adventurer Set isn't good?

The Adventurer Set can't be upgraded, so compared to other armor it's not so good. The Elite Knight set had a really good defense/weight ratio when upgraded and can be acquired in the Darkroot Garden. You might have to suicide run it since there are stone giants and those bush monsters around it.

Edit: the Depths merchant will relocate to underneath the aqueduct tunnel near Firelink later on and one of the boss armors he sells is the Anor Londo boss's set, whoever you kill last.

The Adventurer Set can't be upgraded, so compared to other armor it's not so good. The Elite Knight set had a really good defense/weight ratio when upgraded and can be acquired in the Darkroot Garden. You might have to suicide run it since there are stone giants and those bush monsters around it.

I''ll try and get it then. So much soul wasted on the Armor of the Glorious though :(

Meh, at least I look great for now.

Khronico

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did some runs into darkroot for the moss and armor sets, also got the wolf ring, then went straight for blighttown. I only died ONCE on my first run through BT (rolled instead of jumped to the Iaito lol), and managed to beat Quelaag first try with some phantom help as well (Both phantoms I summoned died trying to fight Quelaag when she was at half health; It was a battle of chip damage after that =/). Now I'm at a bit of a quandary with my armor setup: I've put some upgrades in my starter mancer armorset, but now I'm not sure if I should continue upgrading it. Do I need to worry about having badly scaled late game armor, or does it matter? I love the set, but I'm just curious if it'll harm me in the long run.

Booshka

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did some runs into darkroot for the moss and armor sets, also got the wolf ring, then went straight for blighttown. I only died ONCE on my first run through BT (rolled instead of jumped to the Iaito lol), and managed to beat Quelaag first try with some phantom help as well (Both phantoms I summoned died trying to fight Quelaag when she was at half health; It was a battle of chip damage after that =/). Now I'm at a bit of a quandary with my armor setup: I've put some upgrades in my starter mancer armorset, but now I'm not sure if I should continue upgrading it. Do I need to worry about having badly scaled late game armor, or does it matter? I love the set, but I'm just curious if it'll harm me in the long run.

If you like it, upgrade it, and it will serve you fine to get through the game. All of the starter gear in this game upgrades pretty well, so if you invest in it, you will be fine. That set has no poise so that Wolf Ring should be a good ring for you to keep on to help keep you from getting staggered from every little hit.

It's the ones at the bottom of the ramp. They can't go up the ramp, so presumably I just have to hope one of them falls off while I block and poke them.
There's a few ways of dealing with them:

1. Run past them, like you say they can't follow you up the buttresses.

2. Fight them from behind the pillars so the arrows can't hit you. Lower your shield between their hits to regain stamina (important technique for the whole game).

3. Attract their attention from the top with arrows, before even going down to their area - If you stand where the demon was besides the steps and fire off a couple of arrows, they will walk out and aggro them. They run to the bottom of the buttress, one usually falls off, halving your troubles. You can also use poison arrows and let nature take it's course.

Tenck

Bought the game and fighting the asylum demon. Barely doing 2-3 dmg and his life bar doesn't go down. Legitimate question here. Is that supposed to be fun?

Maybe I just need to play more.

Antiwhippy

Bought the game and fighting the asylum demon. Barely doing 2-3 dmg and his life bar doesn't go down. Legitimate question here. Is that supposed to be fun?

You're probably using incredibly shit weapons if you're only doing 2-3 damage.

Also remember falling attacks.

You sure you are not still using the broken sword? You should've picked up your class weapon in the asylum.

By any chance are you trying to take it down right when you first meet it? Maybe you should listen to the huge glowing orange sign on the ground that tells you to run.

That said, there are ways to kill him when you first meet it. But you generally have to start with Firebombs as your gift. The broken sword isn't going to do jack.

And so it begins! XD

Use the door to the side, you'll then pick up a better weapon and be in a better position to take him on.

Goddamn, check out these jumps in this video. Great Hollow one is insane.
http://youtu.be/H5a3VHjKlXo
Awesome. Some of those are regulars, but some were new to me. The jump is definately one of my favourite additions to the Souls series.

I hope Dark Souls 2 isn't dumbed down to the point of being unenjoyably easy.

Speaking of unenjoyable easy, I summoned a phantom thinking it would be fun. Dude one-shotted so many enemies and I feel I was robbed of some deadly yet enjoyable exploration.

Blighttown is interesting. Took me a minute to figure out why I was magically put into a toxic state, but once I figured it out I was on high alert.

Falchion looks like an interesting sword. I might try it out in place of the Uchigatana. Though the Uchigatana is really really fun.

Also how do I start entering other worlds as a phantom? I need to help people defeat some bosses so I can lower the faith requirement needed to join the Warriors of Sunlight. I only have 8 Faith and I know the requirement is 25, but lowers by 5 for each boss I help kill in another world. I just need to help kill 4 bosses and I'm good. 3 if I pump Faith by 2 points.

Or I might just join the Way of the White. Though Solaris is a cool dude.

I hope Dark Souls 2 isn't dumbed down to the point of being unenjoyably easy.

Speaking of unenjoyable easy, I summoned a phantom thinking it would be fun. Dude one-shotted so many enemies and I feel I was robbed of some deadly yet enjoyable exploration.

Blighttown is interesting. Took me a minute to figure out why I was magically put into a toxic state, but once I figured it out I was on high alert.

Falchion looks like an interesting sword. I might try it out in place of the Uchigatana. Though the Uchigatana is really really fun.

Also how do I start entering other worlds as a phantom? I need to help people defeat some bosses so I can lower the faith requirement needed to join the Warriors of Sunlight. I only have 8 Faith and I know the requirement is 25, but lowers by 5 for each boss I help kill in another world. I just need to help kill 4 bosses and I'm good. 3 if I pump Faith by 2 points.

Or I might just join the Way of the White. Though Solaris is a cool dude.
did you get the white summon sign from solaire? just go to your inv and use it and then the waiting game begins. depending on your level there will be optimal places to put it to get games.

I typically avoided summoning phantoms on my first playthrough for exactly that reason. They're going to one-shot damn near every enemy you encounter. Nowadays I only do it if I'm trying to steamroll through to a certain point of the game with as little hassle as possible, or if I'm about to face a boss that wouldn't be any trouble whether I summoned or not, if only for the phantom's benefit.

Yeah I'll avoid summoning from now on. Though it is fun to have some company.

I'll plop my summon sign down in Blighttown I guess.

Nah, don't go that far. I'd say there are a couple bosses in the game that are "built" for co-op, in that they're not very hard whether you summon or not. Gaping Dragon and Iron Golem are two good examples of bosses people like to be summoned for.

i already beat the game solo, so my reasons for summoning are that 1, it's fun and 2, it keeps the game active. i know as a sumonee it sucks to wait a long time to get summoned, so i do it as a courtesy to others looking for games. even if you're at the point where you're getting carried, eventually you'll be on the opposite end carrying someone else if you lay down your own summon sign enough times. nowadays, the only time i solo is if the wait time is too long or i'm not the proper level range.

Arjen

Yeah I'm summoning all the time, i like to see what people are using, and its awesome id you come across people roleplaying a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom