• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean people dressed up as maneater Mildred, Kirk, leeroy and all that.

Kirk's armour looks awesome tbf :p

I never got to the point where I was comfortable wearing armour based on its looks rather than its function

Thankfully a couple of hours before the end I found an awesome mix of quality, weight and aesthetics.

Nah, don't go that far. I'd say there are a couple bosses in the game that are "built" for co-op, in that they're not very hard whether you summon or not. Gaping Dragon and Iron Golem are two good examples of bosses people like to be summoned for.

Gaping Dragon is pretty easy to solo though if you can be patient enough.

Kirk's armour looks awesome tbf :p

I never got to the point where I was comfortable wearing armour based on its looks rather than its function

Thankfully a couple of hours before the end I found an awesome mix of quality, weight and aesthetics.

Speaking of armor and roleplaying as characters: Is it possible to obtain the armor of
Solaris without killing him in his sane form?

if you complete his storyline, you do get his armour.

my fave armour is definitely kirks armour of thorns. other ones i like are the golem, regular leather, and xanthous minus the head. i was contemplating making a full kirk rp chara with weapons and all, but no parry on the shield kinda sucks. the game doesn't have enough leather-type armours, it's always either some form of metal or cloth robes.

if you complete his storyline, you do get his armour.

my fave armour is definitely kirks armour of thorns. other ones i like are the golem, regular leather, and xanthous minus the head. i was contemplating making a full kirk rp chara with weapons and all, but no parry on the shield kinda sucks. the game doesn't have enough leather-type armours, it's always either some form of metal or cloth robes.

I can still barely parry at all. I just dodge roll.

Also, I find it impossible to backstab enemies. Like the facing must be stupidly precise in this game because I will be at an enemies back and it WONT backstab them when I attack.

Sullichin

Also, I find it impossible to backstab enemies. Like the facing must be stupidly precise in this game because I will be at an enemies back and it WONT backstab them when I attack.

It definitely took a long time for it to click with me. Your shield has to be lowered. You can also only typically do it to humanoid type enemies.

As Sullichin mentioned, it took me forever to realize that if you have your shield raised and instantly go for the backstab it won't work. You have to lower your shield about a half second before you intend to strike, then you'll be backstabbing like crazy. If you're already doing this, I'm not sure what the issue could be. Some enemies have weird "backs".

I only parry in PVE, and only when I feel like showing off. Lag prevents me from ever doing it in PVP.

As Sullichin mentioned, it took me forever to realize that if you have your shield raised and instantly go for the backstab it won't work. You have to lower your shield about a half second before you intend to strike, then you'll be backstabbing like crazy. If you're already doing this, I'm not sure what the issue could be. Some enemies have weird "backs".

I only parry in PVE, and only when I feel like showing off. Lag prevents me from ever doing it in PVP.

Oh wow... thanks for the tips guys. Backstabbing suddenly got stupidly easy.

edit: FUUUUUUUUUCK. I got Queelag down to a SLIVER of HP, and then she did some AOE explosion attack that instakilled me from nearly full HP. Fuck...

for pve parrying, i usually hold block (l1), then i either slide my finger down as fast as i can or use my middle finger to hit parry (l2). this way if you hit parry too late, you'll just get a block instead. it's a safe way to learn how to parry, as you can always parry later than you think and not get punished for it. over time, press it earlier and earlier until you consistently get a parry rather than a block.

I defeated Queelag. Do I want to go down and defeat the Ceaseless Discharge or should I go to that place that just opened up by the Blacksmith?

Also do I want to turn my Uchigatana into a Chaos Blade using her soul, or is that a waste?

BadWolf

I defeated Queelag. Do I want to go down and defeat the Ceaseless Discharge or should I go to that place that just opened up by the Blacksmith?

Also do I want to turn my Uchigatana into a Chaos Blade using her soul, or is that a waste?

You can grab the armor set that is in front of him if you like but other than that there is no point in beating him now since you can't progress any further through that area until later in the game even if you do manage to beat him.

So yeah, head to Sen's Fortress (the new area by the smith).

the armour there is pretty decent for beginners as, iirc, comes already fully upgraded. however, you can get the armour than homeward without needing to kill the boss.

chaos blade is good, but it's trouble. should be reserved for specialty/gimmick builds as it drains your hp. instead i'd recommend the fury sword, which is a very good beginner curved sword or backup weapon.

About 12 hours deep into my 2nd playthrough (never beat it the 1st time) and I'm having a blast. I went with a Pyromancer and I'm really enjoying my choice so far. I've managed to get my Pyromancer Hand to +10 so it's really been helping me out.

I've beaten Anor Londo and most of Darkroot, any suggestions on where to go next? I'd prefer not to do New Londo because that was the place I got stuck on last time around and I have nothing but terrible memories of it. Duke's Archives perhaps?

BadWolf

About 12 hours deep into my 2nd playthrough (never beat it the 1st time) and I'm having a blast. I went with a Pyromancer and I'm really enjoying my choice so far. I've managed to get my Pyromancer Hand to +10 so it's really been helping me out.

I've beaten Anor Londo and most of Darkroot, any suggestions on where to go next? I'd prefer not to do New Londo because that was the place I got stuck on last time around and I have nothing but terrible memories of it. Duke's Archives perhaps?

You can't access Duke's Archives and some other areas without finishing New Londo.

Did you grab Havel's armor set in Anor Londo? Makes New Londo's boss a breeze, if that's where you were stuck last time.

Oh and you have to beat the
Wolf
boss in Darkroot if you want to finish New Londo.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll go fight
Sif
next then make my way down to the New Londo bosses. I did indeed grab the Havel set so I'll be sure to equip that and just tank through that fight.

Thanks again for the tips.

Well summoning that Phantom earlier in Blighttown fucked me over good. I didn't learn the layout well enough and now I have no idea how to get out of Blighttown and back to anywhere fucking else in the game except for the place with the Ceaseless Discharge. I managed to find my way back to the bonfire on the stone bridge area (I think it is a bridge?) but can't get any further. I cleared out nearly all the enemies and cannot find a ladder or something. I took some ladders up and they led me to dead ends.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well summoning that Phantom earlier in Blighttown fucked me over good. I didn't learn the layout well enough and now I have no idea how to get out of Blighttown and back to anywhere fucking else in the game except for the place with the Ceaseless Discharge. I managed to find my way back to the bonfire on the stone bridge area (I think it is a bridge?) but can't get any further. I cleared out nearly all the enemies and cannot find a ladder or something. I took some ladders up and they led me to dead ends.

If you,re at the place with ceaseless discharge, at the back of the bonfire in that area leads to a room where you can go back up to go to quelagg's domain, and then to blighttown. If you stick to the left side of the room you should be able to find the ferris wheel that should bring you to the top where the exit of blighttown is.

If you,re at the place with ceaseless discharge, at the back of the bonfire in that area leads to a room where you can go back up to go to quelagg's domain, and then to blighttown. If you stick to the left side of the room you should be able to find the ferris wheel that should bring you to the top where the exit of blighttown is.

I am not at the Ceaseless Discharge. As I said in my post, I made it back to the bonfire on the stoney bridge area. It is right next to some mini wooden bridge that shifts as you walk across it. I'll take a screenshot if you still don't get where I am. Is there any way back from where I am currently or do I need to exit through some ferris wheel in the swamp area?

Antiwhippy

I am not at the Ceaseless Discharge. As I said in my post, I made it back to the bonfire on the stoney bridge area. It is right next to some mini wooden bridge that shifts as you walk across it. I'll take a screenshot if you still don't get where I am. Is there any way back from where I am currently or do I need to exit through some ferris wheel in the swamp area?

Oh.

Huh. You should be able exit it then. If you're at where I think you are, if you just go the opposite direction of the fire breathing dogs of that area you should find the exit.

Oh.

Huh. You should be able exit it then. If you're at where I think you are, if you just go the opposite direction of the fire breathing dogs of that area you should find the exit.

I am heading in that direction and just cannot find it. No idea why. But there's no exit. I cross the bridge that shifts when you walk over it, and it just leads to a dead end unless I'm missing something. The only other place to go is back to the stone bridge with the bonfire. I'll try and get screenshots.

466449921.jpg

^ That bonfire I'm pretty sure.

BadWolf

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll go fight
Sif
next then make my way down to the New Londo bosses. I did indeed grab the Havel set so I'll be sure to equip that and just tank through that fight.

Thanks again for the tips.

No problem.

You aren't too far from where you entered through the Depths.

From the bonfire head into the forward direction (where you end up fighting two red dogs behind the wall). Before you go into the section with the two red dogs there should be a ladder that leads up. Keep going up and you should end up at the way you came from.

Antiwhippy

I am heading in that direction and just cannot find it. No idea why. But there's no exit. I cross the bridge that shifts when you walk over it, and it just leads to a dead end unless I'm missing something. The only other place to go is back to the stone bridge with the bonfire. I'll try and get screenshots.

466449921.jpg

^ That bonfire I'm pretty sure.

I know the shifting bridge you,re talking about. I don't think you have to cross it, but I'm not 100% on that. Just keep climbing ladders.

Antiwhippy

Man, at this point I'd say just look up videos of other people's playthrough of blighttown and then just reverse engineer the direction to go.

Man, at this point I'd say just look up videos of other people's playthrough of blighttown and then just reverse engineer the direction to go.

Yeah it looks like to get to the first Bonfire you have to drop down in certain areas where there is no ladder... so yeah no clue how to get out. You said the swamp has some ferris wheel type elevator?

Antiwhippy

Yeah it looks like to get to the first Bonfire you have to drop down in certain areas where there is no ladder... so yeah no clue how to get out. You said the swamp has some ferris wheel type elevator?

Actually no, you shouldn't have to drop down anything. Everything should be traversable by ladders if I remember correctly, unless you want to get the iaito.

But yeah, ferris wheel is probably easier. It leads to firelink shrine too.

BadWolf

There is a ladder that leads up in the direction that I mentioned.

The ferris wheel is the more beneficial way to go though since you find items/armour and a Firekeeper Soul along the way for your flask.

Actually no, you shouldn't have to drop down anything. Everything should be traversable by ladders if I remember correctly, unless you want to get the iaito.

But yeah, ferris wheel is probably easier. It leads to firelink shrine too.

Fuck. Well I found my way out not using the ferris wheel. Looks like I should backtrack all the way through Blighttown again to use the ferris wheel. I wish you had mentioned that sooner :(

Also I entered the previously gated area that unlocked after ringing the bell. Jesus christ is it difficult. Those lizard/snake enemies are tough. I can't get past the one that casts lightning spells while you have to cross a swinging axe death course.

Should I make a detour in Darkroot forest first? I got the Elite Knight Armor set on my last visit, but is there more there I can do now before the fortress?

Explore and farm Darkroot first if you want, that is what I did. Makes no difference at this point anyway.

Darkroot seems far easier (thus far) than Sen's Fortress.

Also before I head back to Blighttown, the firekeeper at Firelink is dead now. Can I still make use of the Firekeeper soul I find there to upgrade my flask or must I wait until I find another firekeeper or revive the old one?

BadWolf

Also before I head back to Blighttown, the firekeeper at Firelink is dead now. Can I still make use of the Firekeeper soul I find there to upgrade my flask or must I wait until I find another firekeeper or revive the old one?

Did you find the hidden bonfire in the area after the Quelagg boss? Its behind a wall downstairs which you strike and it disappears. You can upgrade your flask there as well.

Fuck. Well I found my way out not using the ferris wheel. Looks like I should backtrack all the way through Blighttown again to use the ferris wheel. I wish you had mentioned that sooner :(

Also I entered the previously gated area that unlocked after ringing the bell. Jesus christ is it difficult. Those lizard/snake enemies are tough. I can't get past the one that casts lightning spells while you have to cross a swinging axe death course.

Should I make a detour in Darkroot forest first? I got the Elite Knight Armor set on my last visit, but is there more there I can do now before the fortress?
The lizards can definitely be challenging. The nice thing is, they're relatively easy to backstab just by strafing them.

If you're talking about the very first bridge with the lizard casting spells from above and one on the bridge itself, try working your way towards the lizard on the bridge and getting him to fall off. If it's the lizard on the second or third bridge directly ahead of you that's the one giving you trouble, just run through the axes and get up close and he'll switch to melee.

BadWolf

If you're talking about the very first bridge with the lizard casting spells from above and one on the bridge itself, try working your way towards the lizard on the bridge and getting him to fall off. If it's the lizard on the second or third bridge directly ahead of you that's the one giving you trouble, just run through the axes and get up close and he'll switch to melee.

You can also stand at the doorway to that bridge and position yourself such (peeking out of it) that you can see and shoot him with arrows but his lightning attacks will hit the wall. That's how I usually take him out.

zaxon

If you have the master key you can access the ferris wheel area from firelink by going down to new londo then turning right and going up into a little side building. There's a locked door that leads to the valley of the drakes, where you'll find the back entrance to Blighttown. That'll put you at the top of the ferris wheel area. Lots of ladders and lots of places to fall off there, so take your time until know the area.

If you don't have the master key, you can buy it from
the merchant guy from the depths, who has moved to the aqueduct in firelink, right next to the corpse with the ring of sacrifice.

Did you find the hidden bonfire in the area after the Quelagg boss? Its behind a wall downstairs which you strike and it disappears. You can upgrade your flask there as well.

Oh god, I thought those "warning Illusory Wall!" messages were trolling me.

Also the Knight Set armor is too heavy for me to wear it all currently. Had to replace the headpiece with something lighter. I'm going to reattempt getting the Havel Ring now that I know how to backstab.

If you have the master key you can access the ferris wheel area from firelink by going down to new londo then turning right and going up into a little side building. There's a locked door that leads to the valley of the drakes, where you'll find the back entrance to Blighttown. That'll put you at the top of the ferris wheel area. Lots of ladders and lots of places to fall off there, so take your time until know the area.

If you don't have the master key, you can buy it from
the merchant guy from the depths, who has moved to the aqueduct in firelink, right next to the corpse with the ring of sacrifice.

1. At this stage in the game can I safely traverse New Londo?

2. How do I get to the aquaduct?

3. Thanks for the tips.

Hobobloke

1. At this stage in the game can I safely traverse New Londo?

2. How do I get to the aquaduct?

3. Thanks for the tips.

1. It's at the very start of New Londo to the right just as you get out of the elevator and walk out to where all the hollows are hanging out, no danger.

2. It's the bridge looking thing to the right in Firelink where you first head when you start the game.

Metaroo

Finally beat the game yesterday! Decided to make a Dex-build character as my second guy, and I might come back to my original to mess around with pvp, despite his LOLINEEDTOTRYEVERYTHING stat alignment. Any tips for dex characters? Im looking forward to using a katana for most of my game >:D

madp

The Light of El Cantare
FUCKING BLIGHTTOWN.

How am I ever supposed to traverse the place if I get inflicted with toxin in a single hit? I guess I have a ton of soul grinding for blooming purple moss clumps ahead of me.

Booshka

FUCKING BLIGHTTOWN.

How am I ever supposed to traverse the place if I get inflicted with toxin in a single hit? I guess I have a ton of soul grinding for blooming purple moss clumps ahead of me.

Toxic dart guys don't respawn, so hunt them down and kill them. That way you can progress unmolested, there is an armor set in Blighttown that has high poison resistance, and there was a shield in the Depths that has 100% poison resist if you block with it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Toxic dart guys don't respawn, so hunt them down and kill them. That way you can progress unmolested, there is an armor set in Blighttown that has high poison resistance, and there was a shield in the Depths that has 100% poison resist if you block with it.

Oh, that's good news. Looks like I have a suicide run ahead of me to clear out that first area.

Amaron

Banned
FUCKING BLIGHTTOWN.

I aim at them with a bow when they cant see me and then kill them after whispering "take the shot" to myself.

Booshka

I aim at them with a bow when they cant see me and then kill them after whispering "take the shot" to myself.

I do it Jarhead style, slowing instructing myself, "Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire"

Then before I can let loose the shot, out of FUCKING NO WHERE, my phantom uses Chaos Firestorm on the Blowdart guy and I contemplate my purpose in life.

Broseybrose

I got the DLC recently and picked up my almost finished 300+ hour NG+. Ive only Manus, Kalameet, 4 Kings, and Gwyn left to kill. Til then Ill be maximizing my pvp playtime. (Find me in Oolacile Township).

Not bad for SL 140. This is my first/main character in Dark Souls. I had platinumed Demon's Souls, so I knew how I wanted to spec out my character from the beginning. I was Faith-based in Demon's, so i knew i wanted to max Int for Dark.

So I just picked up Dark Bead. Gonna go test it against my Crystal magic in PVP with my 50INT/40VIT/40END/28STR Battlemage. Ive heard some say its an OP spell and I wonder if that carries over to a 50INT character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom