• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakov

I got the DLC recently and picked up my almost finished 300+ hour NG+. Ive only Manus, Kalameet, 4 Kings, and Gwyn left to kill. Til then Ill be maximizing my pvp playtime. (Find me in Oolacile Township).

Not bad for SL 140. This is my first/main character in Dark Souls. I had platinumed Demon's Souls, so I knew how I wanted to spec out my character from the beginning. I was Faith-based in Demon's, so i knew i wanted to max Int for Dark.

So I just picked up Dark Bead. Gonna go test it against my Crystal magic in PVP with my 50INT/40VIT/40END/28STR Battlemage. Ive heard some say its an OP spell and I wonder if that carries over to a 50INT character?

At close range it is usually a 1HKO with very fast casting time. Easy to dodge though.

The game punishes you pretty severely for getting cocky. "He's almost dead, I'ma try to..FUCK."

Yeah I noticed lol. I tried helping some dude kill Queelag as a phantom and got cocky since I had just beaten her in my own world. The result was that I died in a few seconds from her AOE burst attack.

BadWolf

Gah fucccccking Havel. I almost won and got cocky and then he one shotted me with his giant club. And I had my shield up!

Are you sure you are using a good shield? One with 100% physical reduction, or 95% at least, is preferred. You should get a guard break with the first and suffer 5% damage with the latter (if the attack depletes your stamina while guarding).

I used the Eagle shield against him and none of his attacks could break through.

Are you sure you are using a good shield? One with 100% physical reduction, or 95% at least, is preferred. You should get a guard break with the first and suffer 5% damage with the latter (if the attack depletes your stamina while guarding).

I used the Eagle shield against him and none of his attacks could break through.

I'm using Knight's Shield. 100% physical damage reduction. His overheard swing breaks right through it and squashes me. Instakill.

Amaron

Banned
I'm using Knight's Shield. 100% physical damage reduction. His overheard swing breaks right through it and squashes me. Instakill.

Damage reduction is not the main thing you should look for in a shield. Reductions come second to the all mighty and important "Stability". An Eagle Shield is a great shield and has more stability than a the medium knight's shield. Stability is what decides how much stamina you lose after blocking/how much you can block before you are stunned.

BadWolf

Damage reduction is not the main thing you should look for in a shield. Reductions come second to the all mighty and important "Stability". An Eagle Shield is a great shield and has more stability than a the medium knight's shield. Stability is what decides how much stamina you lose after blocking/how much you can block before you are stunned.

In Havel's case doesn't stability have an effect?

EDIT: answered.

Oh yeah, forgot about that part.

Whats the difference between stability and poise?

Iirc stability is for guarding with a shield (the more stability you have the more attacks you can block) and poise is for taking hits and not having your attack interrupted (so if you do an attack and get hit while attacking, you will take the hit but it won't interrupt your attack if you have good poise.)

Amaron

Banned
Whats the difference between stability and poise?

Stability: What you experienced while blocking Havel.

Poise:
Fby2E.gif

Had no clue.Thanks for the advice.

Hmm... Sen's Fortress is so hard.

what am I supposed to do after beating the boss from Anor Londo?

I got the teleport power but I dont' really know where I should head next?

Amaron

Banned

Ever encountered orange fog doors? I believe a cutscene plays after you receive the lordvessel showing all the paths open. You can head back and continue further to the observatory in Anor Londo, further into the Demon Ruins, further into the Tomb of the Giants in addition to New Londo as suggested by BadWolf.

What's the point of the armor sets that lack any Poise? Purely for looks/mixing with other sets?

Or do people use those armors when they don't intend to melee?

What's the point of the armor sets that lack any Poise? Purely for looks/mixing with other sets?

Or do people use those armors when they don't intend to melee?
Some of them have other attributes like good magic/poison/elemental defense. The gold-trimmed set for example has really good fire defense, and Dusk's set has good curse resistance iirc. Mix and match is the best way to go imo - Poise is important but I still want fast roll. Some things look different too depending on what else you wear them with (and some different on male and female characters).

You have to use the Lord Vessel to unlock those orange fog doors, then the rest of the game is basically opened up to you and what order you want to do it in is up to you.

Lord Vessel spoiler:
There are two ways to place the Lord Vessel which opens up the rest of the game: one by speaking to Frampt the ugly monster dude at Firelink, if you use him you can't join one of the covenants. The other way is to speak to Kaathe who looks just like Frampt, he will allow you to join the Darkwraith covenant, but you only reach him after defeating the 4 Kings boss, the penalty for using Kaathe is Frampt will be displeased and you can no longer feed him items - it's an either/or situation. The Darkwraiths are the red phantom invaders - rewards are Darkwraith armour, sword, upgraded dark hand and the red eye orb which allows unlimited invasions as a red phantom - reward for defeating the host during an invasion is souls + 1 humanity - the sword and armour can only be gained through the covenant.

Some of them have other attributes like good magic/poison/elemental defense. The gold-trimmed set for example has really good fire defense, and Dusk's set has good curse resistance iirc. Mix and match is the best way to go imo - Poise is important but I still want fast roll. Some things look different too depending on what else you wear them with (and some different on male and female characters)./

I can roll fairly fast even in full Elite Knight Armor though. I have a total maximum carry weight in the 100's because of the Havel ring and am hitting ~38.

That said, if I was facing a fire boss I'd put on some specialized gear but for the majority of the game I can't see a reason to rock especially light armor unless for some reason you havent pumped Endurance.

I can roll fairly fast even in full Elite Knight Armor though. I have a total maximum carry weight in the 100's because of the Havel ring and am hitting ~38.

That said, if I was facing a fire boss I'd put on some specialized gear but for the majority of the game I can't see a reason to rock especially light armor unless for some reason you havent pumped Endurance.
Yeah it's totally up to your playstyle and what gear you like. Like you say I'll switch in and out pieces of gear that is better for certain situations - bosses especially. Personally I can't live without the fastest roll, but I almost always use Havel's ring and wolf ring so I still get some heavy armour and good poise in there too. If you are happy with the mid-roll then using as heavy armour as you can get away with is the best way to go.

Sullichin

There's a different roll speed at 50% encumbrance and 25%, it makes a big difference if you rely on rolling a lot.

Got the lightning spear at Sen's Fort, and made it to the bonfire there. Do I need to take down that giant hulking dude who throws giant firebombs at me? He kicked me once and I died, granted I wasn't at full health. I don't know the strategy for killing him since he's so big and on such a small area.

There's a different roll speed at 50% encumbrance and 25%, it makes a big difference if you rely on rolling a lot.

I'm not at 50% encumbrance and still wearing the Elite Knight Armor. I know what the fat roll is. The controller vibrates if you roll while too heavy.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I can't riposte for shit sadly. :(

Easiest early level strat I find is simply back stab over and over.

Roll his attacks with fast roll (better off running no armour if you're gonna get 1 hit any way) and before he recovers from his swing back stab.

Got the lightning spear at Sen's Fort, and made it to the bonfire there. Do I need to take down that giant hulking dude who throws giant firebombs at me? He kicked me once and I died, granted I wasn't at full health. I don't know the strategy for killing him since he's so big and on such a small area.

You really do want to kill him because he throws his bombs at you during the area boss fight.

There is a small bridge exiting the room beneath him that leads to a summonable NPC which can take him on solo pretty much. Just run up there and run around while he fights. Roll into the bombs to make more space as well.

You really do want to kill him because he throws his bombs at you during the area boss fight.

There is a small bridge exiting the room beneath him that leads to a summonable NPC which can take him on solo pretty much. Just run up there and run around while he fights. Roll into the bombs to make more space as well.

Wait I can summon an NPC to take down the bomb thrower dude? Sadly I'm not in human form though I have plenty of humanity to spare.

Out of curiosity, is this an area where I'll get invaded if I go human?'

edit: Fuck I thought I was editing my last post. My bad on the double post.

I'm not at 50% encumbrance and still wearing the Elite Knight Armor. I know what the fat roll is. The controller vibrates if you roll while too heavy.
i believe he was referring to fast-roll vs mid-roll and not fat-roll. personally, i rock the ninja flip even tho you could find better uses for the ring slot. 37% mid-roll is not so bad, but i can barely stand 50% mid-roll (yes, theres 2 different mid-roll speeds). if i want poise, i give up ninja flip for the wolf ring, but try to keep fast-roll. btw, there's 4 different fast-roll speeds.

also, it's not just about roll speed, but also just general movement speed.

havel's ring is good for starting out due to it's accessibility, but you might find it very replaceable later on. some heavier armours have hidden stats causing slower stamina regen. plus, hp tends to trump def. so favour ring or wolf ring would likely become better choices in the end.

havel's ring is good for starting out due to it's accessibility, but you might find it very replaceable later on. some heavier armours have hidden stats causing slower stamina regen. plus, hp tends to trump def. so favour ring or wolf ring would likely become better choices in the end.

I'm actually wearing the wolf's ring right now. :)

How much Poise is enough Poise? Once I get enough HP I'll probably pick an armor based purely on looks.

Sullichin

I'm actually wearing the wolf's ring right now. :)

How much Poise is enough Poise? Once I get enough HP I'll probably pick an armor based purely on looks.

If you get into PVP there's different poise 'breakpoints' you can worry about, because people figured out how much poise is taken by getting hit with different weapons. In PVE, wolf ring or wearing some mid-weight armor like elite knight or armor of the glorious will be enough to be able to eat an attack or two without it interrupting your own.

If you get into PVP there's different poise 'breakpoints' you can worry about, because people figured out how much poise is taken by getting hit with different weapons. In PVE, wolf ring or wearing some mid-weight armor like elite knight or armor of the glorious will be enough to be able to eat an attack or two without it interrupting your own.

Ah so I need one or the other for PVE but not both? Sweet.

Seanspeed

Banned

With me, I kind of just learned that in this game, DONT GET HIT. Regardless of the armor you wear, if you get hit, its probably going to seriously hurt unless you're backtracking through an easier, older area. Learning how not to get hit is the key to surviving, whether it be blocking or dodging, so what you wear doesn't always make that big a difference apart from certain status resistances and weight.

Speaking purely Player vs enemy here. Player vs player might be a totally different ballgame, but I haven't done a lot of that.

Sullichin

Ah so I need one or the other for PVE but not both? Sweet.

Well, stacking a ton of poise will let you tank more hits without it interrupting attacks, but as seanspeed said you generally want to just avoid getting hit. But if you find you're getting staggered a lot, more poise will help

BadWolf

Wait I can summon an NPC to take down the bomb thrower dude? Sadly I'm not in human form though I have plenty of humanity to spare.

Out of curiosity, is this an area where I'll get invaded if I go human?'

edit: Fuck I thought I was editing my last post. My bad on the double post.

If you play offline then you don't have to worry about getting invaded in human form.

You'll get invaded everywhere in human form, but Sen's is a fair hotspot - Not Parish or Anor Londo levels, but high definately, at least on PS3.

By invaded I mean by those NPC-invaders. Like the one that when you defeat then helps you take on Queelag. Not PC invaders.

If you play offline then you don't have to worry about getting invaded in human form.

See above.

With me, I kind of just learned that in this game, DONT GET HIT. Regardless of the armor you wear, if you get hit, its probably going to seriously hurt unless you're backtracking through an easier, older area. Learning how not to get hit is the key to surviving, whether it be blocking or dodging, so what you wear doesn't always make that big a difference apart from certain status resistances and weight.

Speaking purely Player vs enemy here. Player vs player might be a totally different ballgame, but I haven't done a lot of that.

I avoid getting hit often thanks to shield + roll. I'm pretty much wearing the Knight Set for poise in the case I do fuck up, and because it looks amazing. As far as I'm concerned the mid roll is good enough to dodge stuff. Though I'll switch if I find a cool looking lighter armor. But right now the Paladin set (dont have it yet) is the coolest looking armor I've seen.

edit: Any tips for the Iron Golem? I am dodging but he knocks me off the stage if I screw up.

BadWolf

By invaded I mean by those NPC-invaders. Like the one that when you defeat then helps you take on Queelag. Not PC invaders.

You don't get invaded for a fight but there is a summon sign close to the boss area that you can use to summon a very helpful NPC for the fight.

I am going to finally get back to Dark Souls after a long hiatus. I thought about starting over but decided against it. I last left my character about to go through Sen's Fortress (made a couple attempts through it, but still at the fire outside by the smith).

I'm a little worried I'm going to forget how to get around. Is it clear where I'm supposed to go after I get through Sen's?

Beat the Iron Golem and made it to Anor Londo. Beautiful place.

I also found really amazing Black Iron armor and wearing it still lets me keep my medium roll status. :)

Elite Knight armor looks cooler though. Meh, I'll get over it.

I got invaded by some dude with a massive scythe. I lost. He had insane HP and his scythe could 2 shot me. Even on block it would build up bleed for some massive bleed damage. I didn't stand a chance.

I'm a little worried I'm going to forget how to get around. Is it clear where I'm supposed to go after I get through Sen's?

Almost impossible to miss. :)

BadWolf

I am going to finally get back to Dark Souls after a long hiatus. I thought about starting over but decided against it. I last left my character about to go through Sen's Fortress (made a couple attempts through it, but still at the fire outside by the smith).

Yup.

Portugeezer

Quick question, the guy who is at Firelink Shrine since the beginning of the game isn't there anymore, I don't know why though, any ideas? Do I seem him later in the game (if so don't say where!)

I am playing PC version if that matters.

Quick question, the guy who is at Firelink Shrine since the beginning of the game isn't there anymore, I don't know why though, any ideas? Do I seem him later in the game (if so don't say where!)

Did a certain NPC appear for you? One with a very distinct look? If so, the guy complains about that NPC's breath if you talk to him and says he's going to leave (or do something about it).

the guy who talks about the bells? it's part of the story. you'll see him later, but
you might not recognize him
. at least i didn't at first since i didn't pay much attention to minute details.

Amaron

Banned
Did a certain NPC appear for you? One with a very distinct look? If so, the guy complains about that NPC's breath if you talk to him and says he's going to leave (or do something about it).

I did something about him when I recognized him from Demon's Souls. Kept aggroing me every time I respawned cause I was trying to kill him at SL6. I was finally victorious though.

Amaron

Banned
I never played Demon's Souls... so that's kind of a spoiler I guess? You're strongly implying the guy is evil.

I'm referring to the Crestfallen Warrior. The first NPC you see shining kinda blue. And I had a personal war against his "counterpart" in Demon's so I attacked him at first sight in Dark.

Amaron

Banned
Because that bastard was so depressing in Demon's. Talking to him every single time I gave up on 3-1 because of
those scary as hell keepers (jingle jingle)
... oh god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom