• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dayuuuuuuuuuuum I found Havel Armor and jesus christ the defense is so HIGH. I can wear the chest piece and the rest I can wear black iron armor and retain the medium roll.

But still, my end goal armor is the Paladin Set. That set looks so good.

edit: Googling around, Elite Knight is apparently the best mid-weight armor in the game when fully upgraded. I'll definitely upgrade it when I get a chance in that case.

But how does the Paladin set compare? With 40 endurance will I still need the havel ring to maintain mid weight? I'm guessing so which is why people opt for Elite Knight.

Amaron

Banned
Dayuuuuuuuuuuum I found Havel Armor and jesus christ the defense is so HIGH. I can wear the chest piece and the rest I can wear black iron armor and retain the medium roll.

edit: Googling around, Elite Knight is apparently the best mid-weight armor in the game when fully upgraded. I'll definitely upgrade it when I get a chance in that case.

But how does the Paladin set compare? With 40 endurance will I still need the havel ring to maintain mid weight? I'm guessing so which is why people opt for Elite Knight.

Paladin is a very heavy set when fully worn. Not quite Havel, but it is a heavy set. Yes, you will probably need Havel's at 40 end depending on your right and left handed equips.

Why talk to him multiple times then?

Because I was a fool and thought the NPCs in Demon's would actually help me. lol nope.

Paladin is a very heavy set when fully worn. Not quite Havel, but it is a heavy set. Yes, you will probably need Havel's at 40 end depending on your right and left handed equips.

Damn. :(

It it one of the nicest looking sets in the game. I might just stick with Elite Knight then.

Also wowwwww I cannot beat Executioner Smough and the other guy. Two vs one... what the hell. I guess I need to go human and hope some fucker doesnt invade, then summon a phantom to help. But lately I've been getting invaded every time I've gone human, and I cant beat the invaders since they 2hitko me. Hell one dude I backstabbed and only took 1/3rd of his health off.

I'm gonna feel bad, but if I get invaded again while trying to complete this boss I'm just going to disconnect the game.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My nightmarish Blighttown expedition continues, but the poison knife dudes that are giving me trouble finally gave me a break. The one on the (presently unreachable?) platform a short distance from the bonfire fell off of his perch and killed himself :lol Thanks!

My nightmarish Blighttown expedition continues, but the poison knife dudes that are giving me trouble finally gave me a break. The one on the (presently unreachable?) platform a short distance from the bonfire fell off of his perch and killed himself :lol Thanks!

The enemies do that a lot in Blighttown. It is kind of nice since you'll probably die from a lethal fall at least once there.

Damn. :(

It it one of the nicest looking sets in the game. I might just stick with Elite Knight then.

Also wowwwww I cannot beat Executioner Smough and the other guy. Two vs one... what the hell. I guess I need to go human and hope some fucker doesnt invade, then summon a phantom to help. But lately I've been getting invaded every time I've gone human, and I cant beat the invaders since they 2hitko me. Hell one dude I backstabbed and only took 1/3rd of his health off.

I'm gonna feel bad, but if I get invaded again while trying to complete this boss I'm just going to disconnect the game.

You could play offline and go human. There is a sign to summon Solaire (NPC) on the steps in the corridor with 2 giants before the boss.

Solaire isnt really much good in that fight but he will at least give you breathing room and you wont usually have to deal with 2 bosses at the same time.

You could play offline and go human. There is a sign to summon Solaire (NPC) on the steps in the corridor with 2 giants before the boss.

Solaire isnt really much good in that fight but he will at least give you breathing room and you wont usually have to deal with 2 bosses at the same time.

Eh I like online for the messages and phantoms. I just wish I wasn't matched against invaders way above my level.

Eh I like online for the messages and phantoms. I just wish I wasn't matched against invaders way above my level.
what covenant are you in? join white/sunspear/princess guard. also, if you sinned, i.e. attacking npcs, get them absolved.

even without those things, if you are the proper level range and playing during a busy hour, you should be able to summon 2 phantoms by the time you get invaded creating a 3vs1 situation. anor londo is one of the most popular places for co-op.

what covenant are you in? join white/sunspear/princess guard. also, if you sinned, i.e. attacking npcs, get them absolved.

even without those things, if you are the proper level range and playing during a busy hour, you should be able to summon 2 phantoms by the time you get invaded creating a 3vs1 situation. anor londo is one of the most popular places for co-op.

I actually am in Way of the White, which according to wiki means I shouldnt often be invaded. :(

I can't find any Phantoms to summon anyway. I'll try again though.

Most of the invaders are actually invading "up", which means they are on a lower Soul level than you. If they have a ton of health (way more than you), that usually means they chose to invest in VIT/END and roll with a Elemental weapon.

Most of the invaders are actually invading "up", which means they are on a lower Soul level than you. If they have a ton of health (way more than you), that usually means they chose to invest in VIT/END and roll with a Elemental weapon.

The person I faced didn't use an elemental weapon :(

And even if he invested in VIT I don't get how a backstab would only take off 1/3rd of his HP at best, while a single strike from him took me from nearly full to less than 1/4th of my health.

edit: Ok I can't take this. I CANT FIND any fucking summonable Phantoms in the area with the firekeeper girl at Anor Londo. And I keep getting fucking invaded, and killed. You guys suggested playing in offline but then I cant access my save, or it won't save my progress.

Yeah ok can someone please tell me how to play my current save in offline mode? Surely you guys didn't seriously suggest starting an entire new game in offline mode right? If I sign out of GFWL it exits me out and forces me to start a new game. There's no "continue" option.

And even if he invested in VIT I don't get how a backstab would only take off 1/3rd of his HP at best, while a single strike from him took me from nearly full to less than 1/4th of my health.

edit: Ok I can't take this. I CANT FIND any fucking summonable Phantoms in the area with the firekeeper girl at Anor Londo. And I keep getting fucking invaded, and killed. You guys suggested playing in offline but then I cant access my save, or it won't save my progress.

Yeah ok can someone please tell me how to play my current save in offline mode? Surely you guys didn't seriously suggest starting an entire new game in offline mode right? If I sign out of GFWL it exits me out and forces me to start a new game. There's no "continue" option.
Where are you looking for summon signs? There are always people dropping signs in the bonfire room. Try there and work your way over to the boss together maybe? That's what I did.

It'll make things easier in the instance you get invaded too.

Amaron

Banned

I don't play on the PC, but it's a simple matter of just selecting your game again when disconnected on the PS3. Cant you set your current GFWL account to offline mode?

As for your Anor Londo troubles, you cannot summon nor place signs near the bonfire. The summon hot spot is usually near the stairs right in front of where you would have killed the gargoyle. Londo is an invasion hotspot, so yeah.
Wonder if you're going to rage hard in a few posts or not.

Sullichin

If you just play hollow you can't be invaded, no reason to go offline. You can't summon at the very start of AL, you have to go down the first elevator. As for the invader, it's simply that you don't have a maxed out weapon and he does. if you want to summon people you should do it from the indoor bonfire.

I don't play on the PC, but it's a simple matter of just selecting your game again when disconnected on the PS3. Cant you set your current GFWL account to offline mode?

As for your Anor Londo troubles, you cannot summon nor place signs near the bonfire. The summon hot spot is usually near the stairs right in front of where you would have killed the gargoyle. Londo is an invasion hotspot, so yeah.
Wonder if you're going to rage hard in a few posts or not.
Which bonfire are you talking about? You can definitely summon from the bonfire closest to the boss fight.

Use the bonfire room you got to after dealing with the archers, where Solaire is - that is the hot spot for summon signs in AL. The bonfire room right at the start with the firekeeper is offlimits for summon signs, you'll see some at the bottom of the steps off the elevator though where the Gargoyle was.

Seance

Banned

There is no "best" armor, wear whatever you think looks good. Nobody likes a housewife.
elite knight set looks freakin sweet anyways

Tizoc

EDIT: Bah clicked Post Reply on the wrong tab.
Read the first post which really helped.
Now to decide on the class I wanna play: Should I go heavy hitter, or a character that can dodge easily...

I do not believe so. If I sign out of GFWL or play in offline mode it tells me I can't access my save data.

]If you just play hollow you can't be invaded[/B], no reason to go offline. You can't summon at the very start of AL, you have to go down the first elevator. As for the invader, it's simply that you don't have a maxed out weapon and he does. if you want to summon people you should do it from the indoor bonfire.

I wanted to go human because I cannot beat Smough and his lackey alone. I'll try and make it back to the indoor bonfire though.

Also my weapon is maxed out. I can't make my Uchigatana any better than +10.

Which bonfire are you talking about? You can definitely summon from the bonfire closest to the boss fight.

I am not at the bonfire with Solaire. I am at the one with the firekeeper.

Also I can take down those huge armor + shield dudes right outside the boss area, but it takes FOREVER. Is there a secret trick to speed it up?

Soulhouf

Also my weapon is maxed out. I can't make my Uchigatana any better than +10.

+10 is far from maxed out.
Most of the people who invade have +15 weapons, if not +4 or +5 crystal which are much stronger than your +10 Ushigatana.

Also I can take down those huge armor + shield dudes right outside the boss area, but it takes FOREVER. Is there a secret trick to speed it up?

I don't recommend killing them every time. Just run to the boss fog. You'll save time and estus that way.

+10 is far from maxed out.
Most of the people who invade have +15 weapons, if not +4 or +5 crystal which are much stronger than your +10 Ushigatana.

I don't recommend killing them every time. Just run to the boss fog. You'll save time and estus that way.

What... I thought you couldn't take a weapon past +10 unless you made it elemental.

Edit: I suppose I sinned when I killed the dude for his Uchigatana at the start of the game. It would be a hassle to go all the way back and farm the 25k souls needed to absolve myself. That does explain why I keep getting invaded though despite being in Way of the White.

You know how you found an item that let you take your weapon above +5? You'll find another that will let you take it to +15.

Sweet.

Out of curiosity, can you transfer items from one character to another? I don't get how all these people have such great items if they are the same SL or lower.

zaxon

Some tips:

It can be easier to avoid their attacks if you don't lock-on.
Two-handing your weapon will speed things up tremendously, and they're slow enough that you can switch back to shield before they attack again.
They have a large, human-sized gap in their defenses that you can exploit.

Out of curiosity, can you transfer items from one character to another? I don't get how all these people have such great items if they are the same SL or lower.

You can if you get someone to help, I think, but once you get good at the game it's not that difficult to obtain stuff early on. A lot of people also keep their SL deliberately low so they can beat up on inexperienced players.

You'll need to fight both again. The entire fight resets.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. :(

I am running low on humanity and I only beat Ornstein because of a friendly phantom. :(

Also whoever said the bonfire near Solaris is closer to the boss, you are incorrect. If you unlock the doors right outside the boss room then the bonfire with the firekeeper is far closer.

Oh my fucking god... I almost had Smough defeated and he one hit KO'ed me with some jumping attack. Wow.

Also whoever said the bonfire near Solaris is closer to the boss, you are incorrect. If you unlock the doors right outside the boss room then the bonfire with the firekeeper is far closer.
The Solaire bonfire is brimming over with summon signs, that's why it's popular.

The firekeeper bonfire, is down the elevator, all the way past the revolving staircase, past the 2 sets of giant sentinels - Solaire bonfire is just 1 room and a couple of short corridors away basically, with just the two silver knights blocking your way (which you can run past) - unless you haven't unlocked that door (the one across from where you find Havel's armour).

Portugeezer

Okay, I upgraded my Wonderer Coat to +10, is that maxed now? Doesn't seem I can do anything more to it. Had a good balance of defence and magic/elemental defence whilst being light so I took a liking to it.

I can't do it.... I keep beating Ornstein with the help of a phantom, and then dying due to Smough's lightning jump. The AOE is just too much and I cant escape from it in time.

I have a single humanity left so then I wont even have the help of the phantoms for the battle. I have no clue what to do.

M.D

So, I have a question.

I have the EU version of the game, but I've played it on my US account (which is my main account).

I understand that I need to buy the DLC from the EU store, correct? so after I buy it, can I launch the game while on my US account, and it will know that I have the DLC on my system?

Portugeezer

I can't do it.... I keep beating Ornstein with the help of a phantom, and then dying due to Smough's lightning jump. The AOE is just too much and I cant escape from it in time.

I have a single humanity left so then I wont even have the help of the phantoms for the battle. I have no clue what to do.

I went for Smough first, he seemed softer and I did more damage on him, his attacks are easy to avoid. However I was a bit lucky, I let the phantom dude deal with Ornstein and my phantom somehow managed to kill Ornstein, after that I just took my time finishing off Smough.

I didn't have too much problems though with lightning, I levelled up resistance and have okay agility.

Also make sure you take out the dudes before the white light, before you summon your phantom (first time I summoned him he lost a lot of HP fighting them)

If you are not confident, all I can say is for you to grind souls, level up a bit, improve armour and weapons (there is a blacksmith near and you can buy some titanite)

If you run out of humanity, you could see if someone could summon you and then drop you some. You don't need to be human to be summoned. (They could likely then help you beat them as well.) I had to do that once when I was stuck on O&S and didn't have any humanity. (I really didn't want to truck it all the way back to the depths to farm some more.)

I didn't have too much problems though with lightning, I levelled up resistance and have okay agility.

His regular lightning attacks aren't a problem. It is the lone Smough's super lightning charged jump that takes my character from full health to 0 if I fail to dodge it. Considering I have to be in melee range that means if my reaction time lags by a second and I fail to notice the jump in time I die, instantly. Maybe I shouldn't dodge and just shield it... but I dunno.

Now that I have no more humanity and no more phantoms I can't even defeat one of them. I cant separate them for very long.

His regular lightning attacks aren't a problem. It is the lone Smough's super lightning charged jump that takes my character from full health to 0 if I fail to dodge it. Considering I have to be in melee range that means if my reaction time lags by a second and I fail to notice the jump in time I die, instantly. Maybe I shouldn't dodge and just shield it... but I dunno.

Now that I have no more humanity and no more phantoms I can't even defeat one of them. I cant separate them for very long.

What SL and platform are you on? If you're on PC I may be able to summon you and drop some humanity so you can summon for the fight.

Soulhouf

So, I have a question.

I have the EU version of the game, but I've played it on my US account (which is my main account).

I understand that I need to buy the DLC from the EU store, correct? so after I buy it, can I launch the game while on my US account, and it will know that I have the DLC on my system?

Yes, I'm positive you can play the Euro game + DLC with your US account.

Lay down your SS and help people to beat the boss = free practice and you gain a humanity every time you beat the boss.
This strategy is universal and you can do it with every other boss.

BadWolf

Just stay back and only attack Smough after he does his attacks and is recovering from them, this way you never have to worry about getting out in time.

And don't be greedy, do 1 or 2 hits and back off.

What SL and platform are you on? If you're on PC I may be able to summon you and drop some humanity so you can summon for the fight.

SL 50, PC.

Lay down your SS and help people to beat the boss = free practice and you gain a humanity every time you beat the boss.
This strategy is universal and you can do it with every other boss.

Alright, I'll just try doing that.

edit: Should I wear a piece of Havel Stone armor for the lightning resist?

Sullichin

Cornburrito, I can help if you see me online. My GFWL is the same as my username. My steam name too, so if you add me on Steam I will know when you're playing
Also, O&S is one of the hardest bosses in the game, don't be discouraged. It was a huge block for me my first playthrough and I'm sure many other players

Cornburrito, I can help if you see me online. My GFWL is the same as my username. My steam name too, so if you add me on Steam I will know when you're playing
Also, O&S is one of the hardest bosses in the game, don't be discouraged. It was a huge block for me my first playthrough and I'm sure many other players

Thanks for the encouragement.

Booshka

My first playthrough of Anor Londo was batshit insane, I summoned two phantoms before the staircase leading to the two Sentinels, and we just ran through the entire level. When I saw them both run up to the Archers and parry/riposte each one at the same time I was amazed. It was a 30 minute blitz through the level, grabbed every item, killed everything and smoked the boss. I was just along for the ride, it was unbelievable.

It was my first truly exhilarating co op experience in Dark Souls, but I realized I kinda ruined the true experience. So, I decided to help other people out and try to be that badass phantom in their game.

When I did my SL 4 Bandit Starter Class challenge and fought S&O with Bandit gear at SL 4, alone, I felt that I had made up for having my first playthrough be a total breeze with phantoms. I've also solo'd S&O on NG+7 difficulty and that is a similar experience.

Part of me regrets summoning help blindly before even attempting Anor Londo myself, but that experience is what made me fall in love with the online aspect of this game. Seeing how awesome you could spec out a character and being able to display your mastery of the game, all while being a huge help to someone was inspiring. Now I love being that master phantom with amazing gear and perfect stats.

Is it me or does summoning just randomly fail? I'll try and summon someone and their summon sign will vanish right when it says "Summoning Phantom"... then it takes 10 minutes for a "SUMMON FAILED" status to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom