• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaron

Banned
Is it me or does summoning just randomly fail? I'll try and summon someone and their summon sign will vanish right when it says "Summoning Phantom"... then it takes 10 minutes for a "SUMMON FAILED" status to show up.

Welcome to Dark Souls p2p online. Scamco customer satisfaction guaranteed.

you don't have to dodge the buttslam, just block it. but if you want to dodge it, fast roll makes a big difference over midroll.

same deal with quelaags explosion.

also, i hope you're kindling your bonfires. especially for co-op, it's a nice gesture to have extra estus to spare so you can heal your phantoms and not just yourself.

you don't have to dodge the buttslam, just block it. but if you want to dodge it, fast roll makes a big difference over midroll.

same deal with quelaags explosion.

also, i hope you're kindling your bonfires. especially for co-op, it's a nice gesture to have extra estus to spare so you can heal your phantoms and not just yourself.

I have kindled most bonfires to 10 which is the most I can do now.

Ok so blocking will let me survive? In that case I won't dodge the lightning AOE buttslam.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Ornstein and Smough is gonna be ridiculous with my all-magic build, I'm pretty sure of that. I'm gonna get one-shotted hard.

Error

FUCKING FINALLY. I did it finally by myself. ;_;

Now any hints for defeating
Lautrec and his two phantoms?

I used poison arrows. At the right distance you won't aggro them and the poison will kill them. takes awhile sure, but it's a cheap way of killing them if you are having problems.

Running around up the stairs also tends to help. A bunch of times the guards or lautrec will get hung up and the close quarters can allow you to fight one on one

Soulhouf

My first playthrough of Anor Londo was batshit insane, I summoned two phantoms before the staircase leading to the two Sentinels, and we just ran through the entire level. When I saw them both run up to the Archers and parry/riposte each one at the same time I was amazed. It was a 30 minute blitz through the level, grabbed every item, killed everything and smoked the boss. I was just along for the ride, it was unbelievable.

It was my first truly exhilarating co op experience in Dark Souls, but I realized I kinda ruined the true experience. So, I decided to help other people out and try to be that badass phantom in their game.

When I did my SL 4 Bandit Starter Class challenge and fought S&O with Bandit gear at SL 4, alone, I felt that I had made up for having my first playthrough be a total breeze with phantoms. I've also solo'd S&O on NG+7 difficulty and that is a similar experience.

Part of me regrets summoning help blindly before even attempting Anor Londo myself, but that experience is what made me fall in love with the online aspect of this game. Seeing how awesome you could spec out a character and being able to display your mastery of the game, all while being a huge help to someone was inspiring. Now I love being that master phantom with amazing gear and perfect stats.

Wow that's a quite a surprise because I would never imagine you doing that.
You didn't play Demon's Souls before Dark?
It's always interesting to read this kind of stories.

So after clearing Anor Londo should I go to the catacombs next? I was in there for a bit and then found a room filled with wheel skeletons and got brutally destroyed by them.

Amaron

Banned
So after clearing Anor Londo should I go to the catacombs next? I was in there for a bit and then found a room filled with pinwheel skeletons and got brutally destroyed by them.

Do you wish to know the meaning of despair? If so, go to New Anor Londo. If not,
wimp
head to the Catacombs, Demon Ruins, or Duke's Archives (that giant observatory you see in Anor Londo).

FUCKING FINALLY. I did it finally by myself. ;_;

Now any hints for defeating
Lautrec and his two phantoms?

Use a bow on the stairs, then run all the way to the window in the upper floor (just on top of the big door), he will go outside. Two things can happen here, either he gets killed by the giants or they get stuck outside. The second thing happened to me, so bring a spear and poke them through the door.

The lightning spear you find should be good enough.

Use a bow on the stairs, then run all the way to the window in the upper floor (just on top of the big door), he will go outside. Two things can happen here, either he gets killed by the giants or they get stuck outside. The second thing happened to me, so bring a spear and poke them through the door.
Isn't the broken window blocked off during this fight? I never noticed, but if it's not - this sounds like fun must try this next time I'm fight Lautrec.

*gets binoculars out*

Booshka

Wow that's a quite a surprise because I would never imagine you doing that.
You didn't play Demon's Souls before Dark?
It's always interesting to read this kind of stories.

No, I didn't play Demon's first, I'm still yet to beat my first playthrough shamefully. But I have been putting more time into it lately.

I didn't put any real restrictions on my first playthrough in the sense of solo'ing every area and boss. I just played the game how it was presented to me, if I had humanity, I would try and stay in Human Form. If I saw signs, I would summon them, they failed a lot before the patch, but every so often people would get in my game. I got killed by twinked out invaders and shrugged it off. I would cheese bosses if I saw an opportunity, I was just getting through the game however I saw fit. I didn't wiki for areas or huge tips, but I would look up something or ask a friend what they thought after I had come across something I couldn't figure out.

I will probably try to play the next Souls game more "blind" than I played Dark Souls, but I'm probably not going to avoid summoning people or ignore the online aspect first time through. The online in Souls games is the main reason I keep playing them, it's so unique and fun. I will make sure to avoid summoning twinks for first playthrough, and since I will be playing day one, I probably won't run into too many.

Tenrius

I just double dipped on Dark Souls, bought the PS3 version despite playing it a lot on PC. Not dissappointed with the perfomance (it's better on the PS3 than on my sub-par laptop) and the online community seems to be more active. Well, maybe a little too active, because I was killed by an invader sporting a full Havel set along with a lighthing club. That was at SL6 and within the first hour since starting the new game!

Hmm that's twice now I've been invaded by someone and gone "oh fuck" only to have them gesture, not attack me, and then drop some items. Then I go and take the items and they bow and teleport out. Like some test to see if I'd be trusting enough, and not attack them.

Amaron

Banned
Hmm that's twice now I've been invaded by someone and gone "oh fuck" only to have them gesture, not attack me, and then drop some items. Then I go and take the items and they bow and teleport out. Like some test to see if I'd be trusting enough, and not attack them.

You could say some invaders are Chaotic Good. Some even helped me kill other invaders. Some showed me shortcuts and tricks when invading myself.

You could say some invaders are Chaotic Good. Some even helped me kill other invaders. Some showed me shortcuts and tricks when invading myself.

They should just be Phantoms then. :/

Though I guess the benefit is that they can't be killed by NPC enemies as an Invader.

Sullichin

They should just be Phantoms then. :/

Though I guess the benefit is that they can't be killed by NPC enemies as an Invader.

Like I said it's easier on the PC version at least to invade constantly than to wait around for someone to summon you. Because of this most of my characters turn into darkwaiths. Blame GFWL for turning me evil. Invasions are a lot of fun though, and my etiquette varies depending on a lot of factors.

Like I said it's easier on the PC version at least to invade constantly than to wait around for someone to summon you. Because of this most of my characters turn into darkwaiths. Blame GFWL for turning me evil. Invasions are a lot of fun though, and my etiquette varies depending on a lot of factors.

Yeah. GFWL is such a mess.

"Oh look a summon sign"

*goes up to it and presses A on gamepad to summon. suddenly the sign instantly fades away*

"Summoning Phantom...."

*five minutes later*

"Summoning failed"

Error

magic-build is like god mode. downed the iron golem with 4 soul spears doing 940hp of damage with each.

"Oh look a summon sign"

*goes up to it and presses A on gamepad to summon. suddenly the sign instantly fades away*

"Summoning Phantom...."

*five minutes later*

"Summoning failed"

I'm no GFWL fan, but this was pretty common on the 360 version as well... never tried the PS3 version. After I traded in my 360 version (with many hours on it) I always meant to get the PS3 version after to check it out... then out of nowhere a PC version appears so I went with that.

I wish there was more new blood on the PC version, on the 360 after finishing NG+ one of my favorite things to do was just get +5 weapon / +4 armour on a new lowbie and hang around gargoyles, capra, etc and help the newbies since those bosses kicked my ass so many times. I spent hours doing that on 360. I tried that on the PC version as well, but I'd say I was summoned only a handful of times for Gargs, twice for Taurus, and never for Capra. I do hear a fair number of bells though, so I am just assuming there are far fewer newbies on PC.

I mean I guess I could get the PS3 version, but Blighttown in 60fps is glorious. It made me go from "it's not that bad, I can deal with it" to really appreciating the zone, I quite enjoy it on PC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

"Oh look a summon sign"

"Summoning Phantom...."

*five minutes later*

"Summoning failed"

Oh hey, I'm not the only one.

Can't get any multiplayer going at all.

Once you make that initial successful connection with a player or two, it seems to become easier to connect. I had a bunch of good rounds of PVP at Oolacile Township tonight. It was mainly the same 5 people over and over, though, but the summons/invasions seemed to happen without a problem once we were able to connect.

But if you don't have time to wait until things start working, or if you aren't in a high traffic area, you don't seem to have any luck at all. =\

Amaron

Banned
Once you make that initial successful connection with a player or two, it seems to become easier to connect. I had a bunch of good rounds of PVP at Oolacile Township tonight. It was mainly the same 5 people over and over, though, but the summons/invasions seemed to happen without a problem once we were able to connect.

But if you don't have time to wait until things start working, or if you aren't in a high traffic area, you don't seem to have any luck at all. =\

Pretty much this. When you're finally cycle to that lobby that has people you're able to connect to, the online aspects are a blast.

Booshka

This is true, I've done a few full co op playthroughs with friends and getting each other summoned the first time always took the most time and effort. After that initial summon though, it was usually smooth sailing for as long as we both played without quitting game or going to dashboard.

Error

I'll buy some. The only real problem is the sorcerer dude. Stupid magic.

btw for next playthrough re: lautrec
if you don't want to bother with that stupid sidequest, right after you free lautrec and he is at firelink shrine, push him off the cliff by kicking him (he won't attack you). quit and reload, and you'll get the RoFaP anyway.

Once I discovered that, I hardly bother doing that little sidequest.

0_0

I want to do a magic build run. Though melee can be so satisfying.

Do both - enchanted weapons scale with INT. My main character (as in the only one I finished the game with so far) had a enchanted claymore +5. That plus crystal soulmass just wrecks bosses.

Once you get the necessary mage items (ie magic power boost) your damage output potential becomes insane. Combined with the few weapons that get A scaling with INT, you will feel very powerful.

Tizoc

Right just made it to the first area after the asylum but got killed by some skeleton soldiers =_=. Wno't let that stop me, will go back there again, reclaim the lost souls, and hopefully this time I actually manage to properly time the Parry >_<.
Playing as a Knight atm, and damn is he sluggish.

Right just made it to the first area after the asylum but got killed by some skeleton soldiers =_=. Wno't let that stop me, will go back there again, reclaim the lost souls, and hopefully this time I actually manage to properly time the Parry >_<.
Playing as a Knight atm, and damn is he sluggish.

If you're dying in a small cemetery, you're in the wrong place. There are a couple good items there, but you're going to want to
head up some stairs

If your equip weight is under 50%, you'll be able to roll. Putting points into Endurance will raise your max equip weight.

Tizoc

If you're dying in a small cemetery, you're in the wrong place. There are a couple good items there, but you're going to want to
head up some stairs

If your equip weight is under 50%, you'll be able to roll. Putting points into Endurance will raise your max equip weight.

Nah I'm going to the castle. I WAS considering going to a lower area since the shop guy mentioned there being 2 monsters in the castle lol.
Will unequip some armor and then try again tomorrow.

Tenrius

Nah I'm going to the castle. I WAS considering going to a lower area since the shop guy mentioned there being 2 monsters in the castle lol.

Actually, you can get to that particular lower area he mentioned through the castle. The cemetery and what's beyond it is a different story.

if it is indeed skeletons, that is the cemetery. i did the same on my 1st playthrough and from what i hear, its not that uncommon to happen. the confusing thing is that that the guy talks about 2 paths, but there are actually 3 you can take. you won't even realize it until you reach the end of the cemetery and realize there's nowhere to go up. the 'real' upper path is climbing a hill, fighting hollowed monsters (look more ghoulish than skeletonish. similar to the ones on the starter island but more armoured.

Do both - enchanted weapons scale with INT. My main character (as in the only one I finished the game with so far) had a enchanted claymore +5. That plus crystal soulmass just wrecks bosses.

Once you get the necessary mage items (ie magic power boost) your damage output potential becomes insane. Combined with the few weapons that get A scaling with INT, you will feel very powerful.

What's your stat layout? Endurance, Int, Vitality, and then the minimum str/dex to wield a claymore?

What's your stat layout? Endurance, Int, Vitality, and then the minimum str/dex to wield a claymore?
i actually love the unique int weapons, but hate int builds and sorcery in general. i'd definitely recommend seeking them out rather than just sticking with the plain ol' claymore which every build can use.

i actually love the unique int weapons, but hate int builds and sorcery in general. i'd definitely recommend seeking them out rather than just sticking with the plain ol' claymore which every build can use.

I haven't found any, and I assume they are late game weapons that would be unusable for a sorcery character until end game and NG+

I haven't found any, and I assume they are late game weapons that would be unusable for a sorcery character until end game and NG+
moonlight butterfly horn is very easy to get, just before ornstein. you get it the soul from the moonlight butterfly in the darkroot gardens. despite being a boss revolving around magic attacks, shes very easy to beat with magic of your own. crafting the weapon itself is probably one of the easiest. grab the lightning spear in sens, go to the giant blacksmith, downgrade it, ascend it, and boom, new weapon.

velkas rapier can be obtained before anor londo too, by venturing into the painted world, along with some very cool armour sets.

moonlight greatsword is the most popular. if you do coop a lot, the special attack is very flashy and people like to spam it. can be obtained by a tail cutoff from the dukes archive boss. dukes archive is the popular spot for blues, so if you're aiming for enchanted+5, might as well just kill the area's boss rather than farm that area for chunks.

VIT - 40
END - 40
INT - 50

My build was a glass cannon before I took it to SL120 as I focused my leveling on INT and buying spells. I believe I finished the game around level 70.

Claymore requires 16 STR and 10 Dex. The Enchanted path is relatively easy to upgrade.

You need enchanted ember, green titanite shards, and blue titanite chunks (all of which are available before fighting a single boss) and then the blue titanite slab. Rickert does all the work and he's available right away.

Really, you could use any weapon for this build. I just like having my mage carry a big sword and the claymore requires little investment.

magic-build is like god mode. downed the iron golem with 4 soul spears doing 940hp of damage with each.
Are you using Power Within too? It gets ridonkulous when everything stacks - bellowing ring, dusk crown, crystal catalyst (red tearstone ring too?!) Magic is definately OP. I have a hard time with it in PvP though, everyone seems really good at avoiding it now, even Pursuers.

Are you using Power Within too? It gets ridonkulous when everything stacks - bellowing ring, dusk crown, crystal catalyst (red tearstone ring too?!) Magic is definately OP. I have a hard time with it in PvP though, everyone seems really good at avoiding it now, even Pursuers.

Because they are easy to see coming. I got invaded by a guy that used soul arrows and almost killed me in one hit because I wasn't paying attention, I easily avoid the next one and killed him in one backstab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom