• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's one of the toughest bosses. At the level people get to him they probably don't have a lot of stamina to deal with his attacks.

Wear the highest poise armour you have or grab the Wolf Ring from the forest. Poise helps you take the dogs out quickly because they won't interupt your attacks with their own.

Once they're dead Capra shouldn't be a problem - if you have trouble dodging his attacks they can all be blocked except the two-handed ones which you can see coming a mile off to dodge them.

Spears and rapiers are good for the dogs too because you can attack with them whilst still holding your shield up. Lastly, in genral - remember to always lower your shield inbetween blocking a hit, so that your stamina regen is faster - it's very slow with a shield up, and no stamina = guard break = YOU DIED!
Hmm, the Wolf Ring? Will try get that later.

I've been down there, beat the Butterfly, but hadn't found that.

Thanks guys.

I have an idea for Dark Souls 2

A number of us buy it on release. We all agree to a certain amount of playtime every week, and we share our tips/discoveries. That way we wouldn't be left up shit creek because of the things that you couldn't know if you played it on your own, but you also wouldn't somewhat spoil the game by having every tip and strategy given to you.

Would anyone else be interested? Obviously you can get a similar effect by playing it on release regardless, but some people would discover eveything that can be discovered days before others, and in sharing those discoveries would take some of the joy out of it imo

Hobobloke

A number of us buy it on release. We all agree to a certain amount of playtime every week, and we share our tips/discoveries. That way we wouldn't be left up shit creek because of the things that you couldn't know if you played it on your own, but you also wouldn't somewhat spoil the game by having every tip and strategy given to you.

Would anyone else be interested? Obviously you can get a similar effect by playing it on release regardless, but some people would discover eveything that can be discovered days before others, and in sharing those discoveries would take some of the joy out of it imo

Even if you agreed on a certain amount of playtime you'd still end up at different points depending on how fast you progress.

As for people discovering things first that's what spoiler tags are for.

Kweh

Started on the AotA content today.

Sanctuary Guardian fight took a few tries, mainly because he soon jumps away from you after his moves and I'm using a slow ass swinger. Fire Zweihander+10 sorted him out though :)

I am using Greatshield of Artorias + Wolf Ring also, so I could pretty much take all hits hits with ease.

Seanspeed

Banned

Like Hobo said, just gotta use spoilers. The way some people play games, they'll be half-way done with it in a couple days while I'll probably take a couple weeks maybe. There needs to be strict spoiler guidelines made clear in the OP for maybe like the first couple months or so, I think.

I'm thinking of making a Divine Claymore or Halberd for the early game on my faith char since the Astorias Straight Sword is already not doing a lot of damage and I don't want to waste the few Twinkling Titanites I have on it.

How much faith do I need for Solarie to invite to join the covenant?

Arjen

I'm thinking of making a Divine Claymore or Halberd for the early game on my faith char since the Astorias Straight Sword is already not doing a lot of damage and I don't want to waste the few Twinkling Titanites I have on it.

Sunlight covenant? 25 faith.But It gets lowered by 5 every time you successfully do a co op.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

The requirement is 25 but it is reduced by 5 for every co-op session you successfully whack the Boss.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Khronico

I'm kinda scared about trying to fight four kings... I heard tanking the fight with havels is a good strat. Anyone have any success with that? Any weapons particularly useful against 4K? Currently SL 62 with 32 END, 22 VIT, 25 STR & DEX.

ZeroCoin

I'm kinda scared about trying to fight four kings... I heard tanking the fight with havels is a good strat. Anyone have any success with that? Any weapons particularly useful against 4K? Currently SL 62 with 32 END, 22 VIT, 25 STR & DEX.

It works. I was able to handle them on my SL1 run using Havel's set.

sixghost

The most important thing about that fight is how quickly you can deal damage. One of the reasons people resort to using Havel's in that fight is because they don't have the DPS to kill them while dodging attacks. Just use whatever you can to do the most damage possible, and if that's not enough, try using Havel's set. If that's still not enough, go do one of the other Lord Soul areas first.

I realise this is minor in comparision:
I did it! I beat the Capra demon! I also found this freaky multi headed monster surrounded by shiny golems that I ran away from. And via elevator another entrance to the Valley of Drakes, who I also ran away from.

Currently staring at a giant rat in the depths.

Anyway, thanks for your help EuropeOG & Liquorice.

I realise this is minor in comparision:
I did it! I beat the Capra demon! I also found this freaky multi headed monster surrounded by shiny golems that I ran away from. And via elevator another entrance to the Valley of Drakes, who I also ran away from.

Currently staring at a giant rat in the depths.

Anyway, thanks for your help EuropeOG & Liquorice.
Well done! Capra is definately one of those milestones on your first playthrough.

Now you're in the Depths you should've come across something that can enable you to upgrade your weapons past +5 - that should be a priority. Certain enemies in the Depths drop the required upgrade materials, so the game is kind of saying - "hey, do this now it will help!"

Tenrius

I just got to Undead Parish in my new playthrough on the PS3 and realised that the gate to the bonfire beneath the drake was open. I suppose a guy in the Havel set who invaded me earlier did this. How very nice of him.

Booshka

I just got to Undead Parish in my new playthrough on the PS3 and realised that the gate to the bonfire beneath the drake was open. I suppose a guy in the Havel set who invaded me earlier did this. How very nice of him.

That's one of the few nice things you can do as an invader, open up shortcuts for the player you invaded. I try to always do it if I know the player is new, then I will probably drop a humanity and murder them relentlessly.

BadWolf

Havel's works extremely well.

Get in as close as possible (like hugging them), two hand your weapon and mash away. Most of their attacks will do barely any damage.

You can also use the pyromancy Power Within to boost your damage output by 50% (the side effect is that you lose health slowly but the drain is pretty slow).

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, uhh, am I supposed to be able to defeat Ceaseless Discharge right after beating Quelaag? I feel like the game was prompting me to go to Undead Parish instead and I'm getting totally destroyed.

Booshka

So, uhh, am I supposed to be able to defeat Ceaseless Discharge right after beating Quelaag? I feel like the game was prompting me to go to Undead Parish instead and I'm getting totally destroyed.

Fighting Ceaseless straight up is hard at any time in the game, so I wouldn't suggest doing it after Quelagg. Make your way back to Undead Parish and proceed from there.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ceaseless is pretty easy, just watch your stamina and equip your best fire resistance armour/shield.

Even without the instant kill method, I led him to the entrance, wait for him to slam once, block, then run and hack.

Ceaseless is super easy when you stand on the narrowest part of the area so he only does the left right sweep that is very easy to dodge!

Arjen

Was this already posted?
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2xxlfy/dark-souls-ii-don-t-tread-on-my-souls
Apparantly we're getting some new Dark Souls 2 stuff next week. (end of the video)

Kweh

Kalameet is pretty tough. I got him down to 1/3 of his health, its more of an endurance fight as I can block most of his shots and when I died I had 8/20 Estus left. I think I would have had him if his top down fire breath didn't kill me.

So, I tried out this new PS3 mule method. I guess this means Undead Burg will be full of lightning+5 claymore trolls again, but whatever it still is full of twinked out invaders any way.

I warped to Chamber Of Princess to see what would happen - Smouth was stood there below, and lets you kill him just like the Cats when you get up on their hill in the forest, got the cutscene after he died, but Ornstein wasn't there, so I walked towards the fog door and it triggered him. Now I'm wondering what other screwy things can be done with the ability to warp from the get-go.

Was this already posted?
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2xxlfy/dark-souls-ii-don-t-tread-on-my-souls
Apparantly we're getting some new Dark Souls 2 stuff next week. (end of the video)
April 11 can't wait, it's been a while since we've seen anything new.

Portugeezer

I tanked it with Havel armour and a two handed lightning staff. Even when others appear it's not too big a deal if you just focus on one at a time.

Portugeezer

About DS2.

I never understood why some people are against an easy mode. All they have to do is give more HP or damage output, even just simple checkpoints would make it easier for those who choose easy mode. But having more difficulty options doesn't have to affect the normal game and therefore doesn't mean they deter the fanbase they have built.

Dark Souls is becoming popular, DS2 has a bigger budget now, they need to capitalise on it and say like "hey, you guys who loved Dark Souls will love Dark Souls 2, but we also have an easy mode for those who found Dark Souls too challenging".

WHAT THE FUCK IS SO BAD ABOUT THAT?

Arjen

There's already an easy mode, it's called summoning.
I really hope they keep it the way it is. Right now if you're stuck on a hard part, you have to think, how can i beat this? What can i change? It's a state of mind, that there's no easier way available, it ads to the tension, and it makes you think and try out new strategies. And even knowing that you can decrease the amount of HP of enemies will break that tension.

Soulhouf

What would be cool is to put an "EASY MODE" which looks easier from the outside but they remove all the cool weapons, no invasions, no co-op, optional stuff that you only can when you play on normal.
That way the players who wanted to play easy mode can't play the entire game but they got enough experience doing that to tackle the game like it's intend to be.

If you played Valkyrie Profile for example, the difficulty modes in that game had that idea.

About DS2.

I never understood why some people are against an easy mode. All they have to do is give more HP or damage output, even just simple checkpoints would make it easier for those who choose easy mode. But having more difficulty options doesn't have to affect the normal game and therefore doesn't mean they deter the fanbase they have built.

Dark Souls is becoming popular, DS2 has a bigger budget now, they need to capitalise on it and say like "hey, you guys who loved Dark Souls will love Dark Souls 2, but we also have an easy mode for those who found Dark Souls too challenging".

Here's one set of reasoning that I've heard, and somewhat agree with. Plenty of games can be extremely difficult if you play it on the hardest difficulty, but few do. Generally speaking the reward system for doing so is just the satisfaction of playing the more difficult mode. Most people will not play that harder difficulty because there's no real tangible reward for doing so.

I would argue that one of the biggest design philosophies of Souls games are their difficulty. They're built around that challenge, and the amazing sense of satisfaction received when overcoming a previously insurmountable task. It's possible that a lot of that would be lost on an easy mode, and new players to the series would miss out on a big portion of what makes the games great.

A lot of that is conjecture, and it may not really affect the quality of the game at all. But it's also possible that focusing on balancing the game between difficulty modes could result in a less focused experience for most players.

One final thought, is that I think the best way to modularize the difficulty as needed is to expand on Dark Soul's co-op system. Without including an "easy mode" you can still have a much easier experience with bosses and other challenges if you summon someone.

About DS2.

Dark Souls wasn't as hard as people keep saying. The biggest challenge for me was all understanding the mechanics in this game, once you more or less get it the difficulty isn't very high.

Frankly this series doesn't need an easy mode, it challenges you and wants you to become more skilled. Adding an easy mode is counterintuitive, and the game will need even more balancing; what it needs is to explain its mechanics better.

Ushae

Banned
God I'm so addicted to this game. Managed Four Kings after 10+ attempts, did a bit of searching online and realized poise was the key to the fight. Full Havels and 2 handed my Divine Uchigatana .. beat them on the next attempt. Brilliant feeling.

Ornstein & Smough probably gave me the most trouble having solo'd it. Worked out how simple the strategy was eventually. Amazing how the game educates you at the same time..

So I'm wondering around the Duke's archives, having had my ass handed to me by Seath the Scaleless and ended up in a jail cell. Is that normal?

Also wanted to ask about Divine weapons, since Faith is my main stat. What's the best weapon to use or is there no real 'perfect weapon' for faith scaling?

There's already an easy mode, it's called summoning.
I really hope they keep it the way it is. Right now if you're stuck on a hard part, you have to think, how can i beat this? What can i change? It's a state of mind, that there's no easier way available, it ads to the tension, and it makes you think and try out new strategies. And even knowing that you can decrease the amount of HP of enemies will break that tension.

I agree with this, the game is fine as it is. I think Dark Souls is possibly the first that makes me nervous going into a new area haha!

Kalameet is pretty tough. I got him down to 1/3 of his health, its more of an endurance fight as I can block most of his shots and when I died I had 8/20 Estus left. I think I would have had him if his top down fire breath didn't kill me.

Only boss I couldn't defeat without summoning :(

Also used help with Manos, but that was a coincidence. I summoned someone for Kalameet but got invaded, locking me into the Township, so I decided to go to Manos instead who had narrowly defeated me on my only prior attempt

as long as it doesn't segregate the online community. easy mode shouldn't make you immune from invasions nor make it harder to summon/get summoned for co-op.

even if the easy/hard is not an actual game mechanic barrier, it can still become a mental barrier. in guild wars 1, they added hard mode with a content update. it was a toggle so anyone can do either or, but it still hurt the multiplayer--not because they can't group together but they don't want to. groups started becoming exclusively hard mode, so if you wanted to get a normal mode game going, either it took a lot of work and time to find one or you just flew solo.

At the very least, I would want Easy Mode to only be an option at the beginning of the game. If you were able to switch to easy at any time, it would be too tempting to just switch to easy whenever a boss or area was giving you a lot of trouble.

Easy Mode - It's not needed, if you can't figure out how to hold 'block' or cry floods of tears everytime you see 'YOU DIED' - this isn't the game for you.

As was said above, the series isn't that hard, challenging yes, but a lot of that is to do with learning the games mechanics, which really aren't that hard to grasp. All that needs doing is having a better explanation of the core mechanics in the tutorial for new players. Humanity, kindling, bonfires, weapon upgrades and covenants just need some sort of simple explanation on what they actually are the first time you encounter them in game and 90% of new players woes would be gone.

People on different difficulty modes in co-op/PvP, how does that work other than splitting up the userbase? It doesn't and any attempt to still have everyone playing together but with baby moders having more health or something like that - would just be exploited, ruining the online completely.

100% Offline Baby Mode is the only thing I would accept. Kind of like older games where you pick easy mode and it's only the first few levels, you are punished for being a pussy.

Easy Mode - It's not needed, if you can't figure out how to hold 'block' or cry floods of tears everytime you see 'YOU DIED' - this isn't the game for you.

100% Offline Baby Mode is the only thing I would accept.
I agree with both points. No game should be trying to appeal to everyone, because it simply doesn't work; just accept the series might not be for you and play something else.

And if added easy mode, it should stick to offline.

Do people who need an "easy mode" really want to play Dark Souls in the first place? I know some people who think it looks cool, but giving them a controller with more than 4 buttons may as well be handing them a live grenade.

Tenrius

Do people who need an "easy mode" really want to play Dark Souls in the first place? I know some people who think it looks cool, but giving them a controller with more than 4 buttons may as well be handing them a live grenade.

Why so uppity? Dark Souls is not exactly a devilishly hard super complex game.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm against an easy mode because its not going to be Dark Souls anymore. Without the challenge, the attractiveness of the game is diminished a huge amount and I can see a lot of people playing it on easy, beating it and then saying the game wasn't that great. So purely from a review/word-of-mouth standpoint, it might be a bad choice for them to even try and include it. People aren't going to 'get it' if everything is easy.

About DS2.

It does. You think Dark Souls is hard because enemies do too much damage?

Dark Souls can't be made easier without fundamentally changing (i.e. ruining) the design of the game. I don't know why this series absolutely has to appeal to everyone. If it's not for you then that's totally fine. There are plenty of other games to play.

Besides, the game already offers players help in the form of summoning.

Quikies83

God I'm so addicted to this game. Managed Four Kings after 10+ attempts, did a bit of searching online and realized poise was the key to the fight. Full Havels and 2 handed my Divine Uchigatana .. beat them on the next attempt. Brilliant feeling.

Ornstein & Smough probably gave me the most trouble having solo'd it. Worked out how simple the strategy was eventually. Amazing how the game educates you at the same time..

So I'm wondering around the Duke's archives, having had my ass handed to me by Seath the Scaleless and ended up in a jail cell. Is that normal?

Also wanted to ask about Divine weapons, since Faith is my main stat. What's the best weapon to use or is there no real 'perfect weapon' for faith scaling?

I agree with this, the game is fine as it is. I think Dark Souls is possibly the first that makes me nervous going into a new area haha!

Yeah, it's normal.

sixghost

Just starting my first SL1 playthrough, any tips?

Upgrade your pyro glove
Consider making a run down to Vamos to get an early Fire weapon
Upgrade the shit out of whatever weapon you choose
Have multiple versions of that weapon (i.e. fire, divine, lightning), and switch depending on the area
Stay below 25% equip
If you feel confident, carry lots of active humanity to boost defense

It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. An elemental reinforced club does a shit load of damage. You just really need to understand boss attack patterns.

Kweh

Kalameet down! Switched to a Black Knight Sword +5 and it was much easier.

Is +20 the max kindling or can you go to +30, +40 etc in NG+?

Also, when I downed Manus, was there anything else to do after that? That girl was just laying on the ground fairly non-responsive.

Kalameet down! Switched to a Black Knight Sword +5 and it was much easier.

Is +20 the max kindling or can you go to +30, +40 etc in NG+?

Also, when I downed Manus, was there anything else to do after that? That girl was just laying on the ground fairly non-responsive.

20 is the max but you can get 21 or more if someone kindles a bonfire near you.

Down there isn't anything else to do but there is a secret thing in that last area that you might not have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom