• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man-Serpent sword has better moveset imo. Stick with that.
too similar to the claymore, which is a goto weapon for nearly every build-type. when running pure str, i like to run something a little more exotic. even weapons like bkga and dgm, while still insanely popular are still more exotic to me than the ever so generic claymore and it's brothers. but yes, i'd still keep a manserpent in the reserve. you can't get it until a little bit later than some of the other weapons though.

Booshka

RTchIyu.jpg

Is there any other method to get a ps3 controller to work without motionjoy? I can only get it to work 1/10 times for some reason. I heard about an offline version but all I could find were the files for local mode.

Mr.Ock

Can I ask something about Demon's Souls here? If not, i'll edit this.

Do you guys have any advice for the Maneaters? I have the Crescent Falchion at +4, I cast warding to tank their hits somewhat, but i always fall down because of the narrow corridor. Also, I want to lure the first one to the center round platform, but he just flies around and doesn't give a damn, he makes me waste my time and then his bro comes down and well, I die.

EDIT: Sorry, found the DeS community thread.

Piano

Banned
Can someone offer some tips on starting a magic character? I want to focus mainly on sorcery and pyromancy - so the INT stat.

I started as a sorcerer class but, a couple of hours into the game now, soul arrow is still the only spell I have so I'm finding myself ending up having to go sword / shield for a lot of sections since sitting back and spamming one spell isn't really viable in large situations. This sucks...my first character was all sword / shield and I was hoping for more variety.

Looking at some Wikis, it seems like the better catalysts and spells don't show up for a while.

Should I start as Pyromancer and then shift into sorcery later in the game? Is a mainly magic character even viable? Sure doesn't seem like it, at least from the get-go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I really don't understand how catalysts / spell strength works. The game explains zero.

Dresden

Can someone offer some tips on starting a magic character? I want to focus mainly on sorcery and pyromancy - so the INT stat.

I started as a sorcerer class but, a couple of hours into the game now, soul arrow is still the only spell I have so I'm finding myself ending up having to go sword / shield for a lot of sections since sitting back and spamming one spell isn't really viable in large situations. This sucks...my first character was all sword / shield and I was hoping for more variety.

Looking at some Wikis, it seems like the better catalysts and spells don't show up for a while.

Should I start as Pyromancer and then shift into sorcery later in the game? Is a mainly magic character even viable? Sure doesn't seem like it, at least from the get-go. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I really don't understand how catalysts / spell strength works. The game explains zero.

Well, the catalyst you start with is pretty much the best one to use until you hit 40+ intelligence. So no worries on that front.

You basically get attunement up to a decent level (enough to have four or five spell slots), and then pump up Intelligence.

There's a spell vendor at the entrance to New Londo that you can buy extra Soul Arrow and Heavy Soul Arrow from. Rescue Griggs from the road leading to Capra Demon for upgrades and the bellowing dragoncrest ring, which should be your primary equip. You'll get your next round of spell upgrades from a certain dude you rescue in Sen's Fortress.

That's about it, really. Sorcery is the most powerful (and easy) build for PVE.

Piano

Banned
Is it possible to do a sorcery / pyromancer hybrid?
Also, what determines the strange delay in casting sometimes? Now and then I'll hit the cast button and my character won't respond for a second or two before finally casting.

Guys I just installed this one but can't even start it. I get the window starting but it crashes right away. I tried disabling Steam Community in game but no luck...

Any ideas?

Piano

Banned
Pyromancy has no stat requirements, it's just dependent on the level of your flame. So yes, you can go hybrid if you want.

In that case, would you recommend starting as a Pyro or Sorcerer?

Also, I apparently already fucked up my sorcerer by pumping a few points into Vit, End and Dex. Should I start over?

Thanks for the help. I've played 70 hours of this game and it's still too cryptic.

Dresden

In that case, would you recommend starting as a Pyro or Sorcerer?

Also, I apparently already fucked up my sorcerer by pumping a few points into Vit, End and Dex. Should I start over?

Thanks for the help. I've played 70 hours of this game and it's still too cryptic.

1. Either works. Pyro is usually the best option due to starting at SL1, but if you want to focus on sorcery, the Sorceror works just fine.

2. You need vit/end anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it. No problem with dex, either.

Piano

Banned
Man, Capra Demon is next to impossible with a magic character. I summoned two phantoms and it didn't help since he KOd me in one slash anyways.

Mxrz

Is there any other method to get a ps3 controller to work without motionjoy? I can only get it to work 1/10 times for some reason. I heard about an offline version but all I could find were the files for local mode.

Tried just using usb? I'm still using a DS2 via a usb adapter. It isn't the greatest, but it works without much effort.

Can I ask something about Demon's Souls here? If not, i'll edit this.

Do you guys have any advice for the Maneaters? I have the Crescent Falchion at +4, I cast warding to tank their hits somewhat, but i always fall down because of the narrow corridor. Also, I want to lure the first one to the center round platform, but he just flies around and doesn't give a damn, he makes me waste my time and then his bro comes down and well, I die.

EDIT: Sorry, found the DeS community thread.

You can cheese it with the bow/fog gate method if your down for that. If not, stay near the fire and circle around. Only attack when the AI flips out and goes off. Slow but steady. Otherwise, grind up an upgraded weapon (the dragon longsword in 2-2 is easypeasy to upgrade) and kill the first before the 2nd arrives.

vilmer_

Omg I've been trying to beat Manus the past little while and suddenly out of nowhere for the first time, right near the boss entrance, a blue phantom appeared and started absolutely wailing on me... There was no name above his head, but I managed to kill him even with a swarm of ghosts on me that killed me at the same time :lol There was a weird name though after he was vanquished... If memory serves me this is the workings of a Gravelord isn't it?

Man, Capra Demon is next to impossible with a magic character. I summoned two phantoms and it didn't help since he KOd me in one slash anyways.

Its the dogs that are the biggest PITA, but to try and live a few seconds more (and hopefully your phantom buddies can get in the fog gate and help you) I found Magic Shield did the trick for me. It doesn't last very long, but sometimes that is just long enough.

Sullichin

Omg I've been trying to beat Manus the past little while and suddenly out of nowhere for the first time, right near the boss entrance, a blue phantom appeared and started absolutely wailing on me... There was no name above his head, but I managed to kill him even with a swarm of ghosts on me that killed me at the same time :lol There was a weird name though after he was vanquished... If memory serves me this is the workings of a Gravelord isn't it?

No, if you are gravelording yourself you can be invaded by spirits who find you through your sign. If you weren't gravelording, it was just a darkmoon spirit of vengeance, which means you have at least 1 sin.

vilmer_

No, if you are gravelording yourself you can be invaded by spirits who find you through your sign. If you weren't gravelording, it was just a darkmoon spirit of vengeance, which means you have at least 1 sin.

Awesome, it's been a while since I've played so I must've done something in the past :p Whoever it was that invaded was going insane on his melee attacks, all it took was a couple of shots from my +15 great club and it was over. Those ghosts however, insanity.

Mothman91

Picking up this game again after a long time.

Is the Elite Knight set a good set to use throughout the game? Going a high Dex build with an Uchigatana.

Booshka

Picking up this game again after a long time.

Is the Elite Knight set a good set to use throughout the game? Going a high Dex build with an Uchigatana.

Anything is good if you upgrade it well, Elite Knight does upgrade nicely though, so it will serve you fine for the whole game. Make sure you make that a +15 Uchi if you are going to level your dexterity for stat scaling.

Mothman91

Anything is good if you upgrade it well, Elite Knight does upgrade nicely though, so it will serve you fine for the whole game. Make sure you make that a +15 Uchi if you are going to level your dexterity for stat scaling.

Anything specific I should be going for stats wise? Like I heard endurance bar doesn't go up after 40(?). I don't know how much Vitality I should be going for either.

Booshka

Anything specific I should be going for stats wise? Like I heard endurance bar doesn't go up after 40(?). I don't know how much Vitality I should be going for either.

Most stats start to fall off hard after 40. Endurance is best to stop at 40, along with Dex stopping at 40 or 45 if you want faster casting times. Vitality should be at least 30, with 40-50 being optimal. 16 Strength is really good for Dex builds because it allows you to use a wide variety of weapons, without putting too much points into it. If you are going to use any magic, 16-19 attunement is plenty.

Piano

Banned
Wait, so should I be investing in DEX as well for my Sorcery build? So far I've just been pumping INT and doing a bit of Attunement and Endurance.

Can't find many resources on its effects on cast time.

Booshka

Wait, so should I be investing in DEX as well for my Sorcery build? So far I've just been pumping INT and doing a bit of Attunement and Endurance.

It's not necessary, but having 45 dex will decrease your cast time on Pyromancy and Sorcery.

depends on your target sl; sl120 has quite a bit of leeway, but not so much under that. it's really personal preference. 45dex makes you more a glass cannon, especially if you plan on taking your int up to 50. imo the speed isn't significant enough for me to justify it, unlike pyro.

casting doesn't expend stamina, so you could think about a low end build if you plan on 45dex.

you didn't mention anything about vit. i personally don't go under 40vit in any of my builds anymore.

Piano

Banned
Yeah I've been throwing some points in Vitality as well.

I was planning on getting a Pyromancer glove when it becomes available. DEX makes that significantly faster?

I just bought Demon's Souls. I know it's free on US PS+ and might show up on EU PS+ but...

edit: oh wow this game is exciting. Like really really exciting! Made a good progress for a hour but then fell off from a set of stairs. Dang

Yeah I've been throwing some points in Vitality as well.

I was planning on getting a Pyromancer glove when it becomes available. DEX makes that significantly faster?
I wouldn't put points into DEX just for faster casting speed. That is, if you're going with a dex character any way, great it's a bonus - but if you're an INT character, then all those points in DEX are coming from somewhere else - either vit, end or int - all of which are a bad idea to lose that many points from unless you're just doing PvE and don't mind taking a huge hit to vit or something (which is perfectly doable, like low-level runs, you just have less health). But in general, I never thought the faster casting was worth going for. YMMV.

Mxrz

Is it me, or did this game turn out to pretty much revolve around hybrid dex / fast weapons + buffs builds? With the DWGR you could at least use a strength weapons and still fast roll in light armors. Not so much anymore.

Going back to Demon's to kill plus'ers reminded me that strength builds weren't always subpar. Cursed weapon is always a thing, but with better weapon scaling and the lesser stat investment it never felt like a huge part of the build either.

If they can go through all the trouble of introducing poise for a problem that really wasn't much of an issue, maybe the next sequel should do something to cut down on buffing. Most fights turning into a chicken chase is a little silly.

Seance

Banned
Is it me, or did this game turn out to pretty much revolve around hybrid dex / fast weapons + buffs builds? With the DWGR you could at least use a strength weapons and still fast roll in light armors. Not so much anymore.

Going back to Demon's to kill plus'ers reminded me that strength builds weren't always subpar. Cursed weapon is always a thing, but with better weapon scaling and the lesser stat investment it never felt like a huge part of the build either.

If they can go through all the trouble of introducing poise for a problem that really wasn't much of an issue, maybe the next sequel should do something to cut down on buffing. Most fights turning into a chicken chase is a little silly.

The problem with DkS PvP is backstabs. Literally everything, from what build you use, to your playstyle, revolves around backstabs. This move leaves me more open to a back stab, mid-rolling leaves me more open to a backstab, this weapons slow swing-speed leaves me more open to a backstab.
Dex faith builds with fast roll are the best builds because they give you the greatest opportunity to generate backstabs (fast movement + WotG dead angling) as well as mitigating the likelihood of an enemy getting a backstab on you.

The issue is worsened by the horrible online lag. It's possible to be backstabbed while facing you're enemy if your weapon isn't fast enough and you can even be backstabbed when backing away from an opponent if the ping is really bad.

Cmagus

Finally got my Elite Knight Armor maxed and have moved onto the Four Kings fight. The scale in that fight is so awesome at first I ran up and wonder why I wasn't hitting and then I realized I had to run up much closer.

Sullichin

I'm in Duke's. My weapons don't feel effective. What gives?

What is your weapon?
The enemies there are pretty tough, and are also pretty resistant to magic damage. Physical blunt damage is your best bet if you have anything that fits the bill.

DEX builds definitely have an advantage over STR in PVP, although I much prefer to use STR or quality weapons myself. A DEX/INT build is pretty much objectively superior than a STR/INT build. They get faster casting speed and more DPS, and it's easier to win by spamming attacks. Good players will wait out buffs, but it's harder to wait out buffs against fast weapon users than someone desperately trying to hit you with a buffed slow weapon. It seems like they tried to mitigate this with the manus catalyst that scales with STR but it didn't really work out. My favorite DEX build barely uses weapons but rather a shitton of pyromancy with 45DEX for best casting speed.

But I think a quality build vs any hybrid build is well balanced. You have so many options when you level both STR and DEX.

What is your weapon?
The enemies there are pretty tough, and are also pretty resistant to magic damage. Physical blunt damage is your best bet if you have anything that fits the bill.
Black Knight Sword +4. I think it's the lack of oomph in the sound effects. But one jumping R2 strike takes care of the crystal guys.

So I sounded the trumpet, killed some snake slugs, including 2 that didn't aggro but gave me some miracles or spells. I feel bad. Hopefully they weren't conversable npcs... Anyway, what is the trumpet for, besides clearing that room? Was I supposed to unlock the upper double doors and THEN sound the trumpet?

Also, I'm not asking where, but I'm assuming I find the key to free that wizard guy later...? I shouldn't have the key for him yet, correct?

Sullichin

Black Knight Sword +4. I think it's the lack of oomph in the sound effects. But one jumping R2 strike takes care of the crystal guys.

So I sounded the trumpet, killed some snake slugs, including 2 that didn't aggro but gave me some miracles or spells. I feel bad. Hopefully they weren't conversable npcs... Anyway, what is the trumpet for, besides clearing that room? Was I supposed to unlock the upper double doors and THEN sound the trumpet?

Also, I'm not asking where, but I'm assuming I find the key to free that wizard guy later...? I shouldn't have the key for him yet, correct?

The horn is just how the snake men sicced the slug guys on you.
Yeah, you don't have that key yet.

Khronico

So I'm at Lost Izalith currently, and I'm wondering if its worth the humanity grind to unlock the shortcut (plus save Solaire). Solaire is a pretty cool guy and all, but is it worth the 30 humanity to level chaos covenant?

Dresden

So I'm at Lost Izalith currently, and I'm wondering if its worth the humanity grind to unlock the shortcut (plus save Solaire). Solaire is a pretty cool guy and all, but is it worth the 30 humanity to level chaos covenant?

The shortcut is worthless on its own, unless you want to farm a demon that's there. It's up to you on whether saving Sunbro is worth the humanity.

Cmagus

Wow this Four Kings fight is beyond frustrating. I am lvl 87 and still can't take this thing out it just destroys me. That and the fact it takes like 5 minutes to run to him everytime you die because Firelink Shrine is the closest bonfire.

Wow this Four Kings fight is beyond frustrating. I am lvl 87 and still can't take this thing out it just destroys me. That and the fact it takes like 5 minutes to run to him everytime you die because Firelink Shrine is the closest bonfire.

Are you taking the shortcuts? They make getting there significantly faster

Cmagus

Are you taking the shortcuts? They make getting there significantly faster

Yeah I take the elevator down from Firelink then hop off the cliff edge down in New Londo Ruins I know about all that it just takes forever. Takes me longer to run there then the fight lasts lol. Gonna grind out a few more levels and dump points into more HP.

Gonna try a heavier weapon as well I think. Right now I have the Silver Knight Straight Sword equipped and maxed with a 262 stat but could probably push a bit more damage with another.

Arjen

Yeah I take the elevator down from Firelink then hop off the cliff edge down in New Londo Ruins I know about all that it just takes forever. Takes me longer to run there then the fight lasts lol. Gonna grind out a few more levels and dump points into more HP.

Gonna try a heavier weapon as well I think. Right now I have the Silver Knight Straight Sword equipped and maxed with a 262 stat but could probably push a bit more damage with another.

Stay really close to one, 2 hand your fastest hardest hitting weapon, tank trough the damage.
Heal whenever you can or when you run out of stamina. Should be a peace of cake this way. If you don't feel confident you can wear Havel's as well. Grass crest shiold or other stamina regen helps as well.

Just wait until you start farming Slabs from there :p

Their attacks are pretty hard to dodge, so I'd say your best bet is to tank the hits and hit them as hard as you can. And hope that you kill one before the other spawns.

Seanspeed

Banned
It depends on your build a bit, but if you're just standing there attacking, a lighter weapon is often the way to go to do the most damage. Heavier weapons are great for dealing more damage in a single hit, but over the course of expending an entire stamina bar, a light weapon can usually do more total damage.

After first trying with the Gravelord Sword and the Halberd, I used my +14 Iaito, two handed and they went down quick.

depending on your stats, i've found quelaags or any chaos weapon to be good enough. when rolling, i usually roll left, hit once, then the key is to run back right to front center to "tame" her ai. contolling ai i've found is the key to a lot of boss fights. just think like the depths centepede on a lesser scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom