• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn, demon souls goin free on ps+. looks like ima be distracted for a long while. i hope fist fighting is better in this version.

it's okay to still talk about demon souls in this thread rite?

and yes, i realize im slow, but i dun check ps+ often, and didn't catch it being mentioned in this thread.

Time to stay away from online on PS3 for me till this new mule method is patched if they can/will patch it - every invader and summon sign in the burg is using maxed out weapons etc... sigh.

Just started this game...I've already used too many healing items after the first boss. Just left the asylum...hopefully I haven't screwed myself over...

Haven't heard of this
Came across it on the wiki forum today - a save file you download to a USB stick, it overwrites your saves so best to do it on a fresh account. The save has all 10 character slots full of starter characters, you have every weapon maxed (in every upgrade variant), same for armour, 5 of each spell and max of each item except Divine Blessings and the mushroom and can warp right from the start.

I tried it out, it works easy enough - I want to see what can be done with the ability to warp right from the start in PvE - already tried Chamber of the Princess for fun - Then went back to my current game (SL20, haven't rang the bells yet) and got invaded by about half a dozen invaders all using twinked out characters dark magic etc, summon signs looked the same too. Kind of deflated my interest in playing tbh, but it means you can get a new PvP build ready in minutes I guess, but the early game looks like it might be a bit of a mess for a while.

Actually hope it can be patched or something because when the BB glitch was patched out it really bolstered my obsession with DS and the early part of the game became a lot more fun.

Anyone tried a Caestus quality build or a Claymore/Caestus build? If I drop the Caestus, I'll have 0.5 weight left over. Experimenting with what weapon to use. Might just leave that spot empty.

Booshka

Anyone tried a Caestus quality build or a Claymore/Caestus build? If I drop the Caestus, I'll have 0.5 weight left over. Experimenting with what weapon to use. Might just leave that spot empty.

Caestus is just awful sadly, it is only good for hornet ring backstabs and cancelling backstabs from other players with quick attacks from your offhand.

Try a Short bow or Dark Hand. Or just nothing

Well I've read that using gamepad is prefered to playing with keyboard. Sadly only gamepad I have access to doesn't have vibration, otherwise it works. So how big part of the game is "vibrated" I mean does it take away from experience not to have vibration in your opinion?

Seanspeed

Banned
Well I've read that using gamepad is prefered to playing with keyboard. Sadly only gamepad I have access to doesn't have vibration, otherwise it works. So how big part of the game is "vibrated" I mean does it take away from experience not to have vibration in your opinion?
It shouldn't make much of a difference unless you're some freak about needing vibration.

i don't recall vibration usage to be particularly better than in any other game. the only downside i can think of is no sneaking, but this isn't a stealth heavy game. i sneak quite a bit, but that's my personal playstyle preference. although, i haven't played pc version and i'm not sure it has a walk modifier key.

just use whichever is more comfortable. i honestly cringe everytime i see that super meat boy loading screen.

Sullichin

i don't recall vibration usage to be particularly better than in any other game. the only downside i can think of is no sneaking, but this isn't a stealth heavy game. i sneak quite a bit, but that's my personal playstyle preference. although, i haven't played pc version and i'm not sure it has a walk modifier key.

just use whichever is more comfortable. i honestly cringe everytime i see that super meat boy loading screen.

Playing without analog movement control feels weird for me in any third person game, but that's not even the problem with kb/m controls in Dark Souls. By default the mouse movement is just awful. There's a fix for that though. As for vibration, the only time I can think where it's nice to have is when you're afk and you're being attacked by an invader and the controller vibrates. Otherwise who cares.

FUCK KALAMEET WHAT THE SHIT

I want to cut your tail you sonovabitch

Try bow

Ah, alright. That's what I thought, but an arrow for a buff symbol was a bit odd so I was just making sure. Thanks.
Yellow arrow is for Ring of Favor and Protection. Like hey, look up there, your health and stamina bars are bigger. It's a pretty ugly icon!

Venfayth

Just started playing again :)

First order of business, beat the Asylum Demon!

IaN3nBs.jpg

Did this as a deprived before getting the estus flask, of course. Unequipped the hilt to do more damage. Played a bit more this morning. Killed the male merchant for his Uchigatana. Took out the Taurus Demon on the first try. I did use a Pine Resin, but it ended up being wasted as he backhopped off the cliff before I could even damage him >_<

Just reached the cathedral and dropped the elevator down to firelink shrine, and that's where I stopped.

Think I'm gonna stick with the Uchigatana all the way through this playthrough, but not sure how I want to enhance it. Thinking about doing Chaos, but stocking up on - and keeping - humanities makes me nervous. :D

Dresden

Think I'm gonna stick with the Uchigatana all the way through this playthrough, but not sure how I want to enhance it. Thinking about doing Chaos, but stocking up on - and keeping - humanities makes me nervous. :D
I wouldn't worry about it - it becomes second nature after a while.

99 humanity gives you a substantial amount of defense. most bosses will start to tickle you. always keep a dozen rings of sacrifice handy, if you're worried about losing it.

krakov

Had one of the butchers fall on top of me in the depths bonfire room today. And then he just stood there. Anyone else had a similar experience?

No idea. I was fending of an invader and when returning to the room he just appeared as if dropping down on me (I stumbled). Then he just stood there until i hit him and he then aggroed.

Haha, wow. That is awesome. Never seen or heard of that happening.

Mort

Banned
FUCK KALAMEET WHAT THE SHIT

I want to cut your tail you sonovabitch

This is a bit old, but there is a sure proof method for cutting his tail. keep him mid range, between being point black and max long on distance away to coax his flying dash attack. When he does his flying charge attack, dodge and get directly behind him and he'll do his tail smash, allowing you to get a hit on his tail. You don't have to be super close to him to get him to do his tail smash, just directly behind him.

I just bought Dark Souls today and like it so far. Any basic tips for a noob playing with warrior class??
well if you want an easy 1st playthrough, pump vitality and grab the heal spell.

upgrading your shield may be more beneficial than you think.

laying down your white summon sign is a great way to learn the game. 2 reasons: 1, death has no real punishment as a phantom and 2, you can learn a thing or two from other players, or at least get ideas for a new build.

big_z

not sure if this is the correct thread for the pc version but how the hell do you change the display resolution and refresh? in the game i can only go up to 1024x576 @ 60hz... it looks like shit. the mod for graphics tweaking doesnt work either.

I just bought Dark Souls today and like it so far. Any basic tips for a noob playing with warrior class??
Basic tips:

Class isn't really important at all other than at the very, very start since it effects what equipment you start with - but all equipment is available to any class, found as loot throughout the game.

Don't worry about losing souls at the start, even a few thousand is nothing really. Even early on you can co-op and get a few thousand back for a few minutes of jolly co-op.

Upgrade your main weapon of choice asap. Upgrading your weapon is much more important than levelling up.

When levelling up, pick one or two stats only besides vitality and endurance to level up. If you're a magic user that would be INT, if you want to use big-ass weapons, that would be strength. Don't level resistance, it's not worth it. VIT and END are important for any character type though.

Lastly a few small tibits: Pay attention to your surroundings, visual clues and item descriptions are there to help. Lower your shield when not needed, it speeds up stamina regen (the green bar) which is critical to staying alive. No stamina means you can't swing your weapon and you will get guardbroken, leaving you wide open for a trip back to your last bonfire!

Fairly new to PC gaming and just bought the retail version of Dark Souls. Can i redeem the CD key on the back of the manual on steam and just download the entire game through it?

vilmer_

So I've decided to come back to Dark Souls (PS3) and check out the DLC and I just realized that I have to do a ton of stuff over and on top of that I'm on NG+ ack!! If anyone is on tonight at all and would like to help that would be fantastic :p My soul level is currently 90.

Any advice on making a viable purge mage character? I've done many hours with melee, but never really a caster. I started one only SL3, master key, ran and got the crimson set from Blighttown but that's it. I was trying to get the shortcut to lower berg (where you jump off the roof from upper) and then free the caster trainer down there, but no luck yet. Is that worth the effort? I'm hoping it is, but not sure ;)

Saw the other post on the "play with your friends" mod that looks great, if only I could get some of my friends to give the damn game a shot lol!

Sullichin

Any advice on making a viable purge mage character? I've done many hours with melee, but never really a caster. I started one only SL3, master key, ran and got the crimson set from Blighttown but that's it. I was trying to get the shortcut to lower berg (where you jump off the roof from upper) and then free the caster trainer down there, but no luck yet. Is that worth the effort? I'm hoping it is, but not sure ;)

Saw the other post on the "play with your friends" mod that looks great, if only I could get some of my friends to give the damn game a shot lol!

You should have gotten the tin banishment catalyst with that crimson set as well, it's not the best catalyst but is a pretty good melee weapon for the early game for a caster.
Head to New Londo and you can buy some spells from the blacksmith on the broken stairs there. Getting Griggs early is useful, but make sure you have the residence key. You'll probably rarely take off the bellowing dragoncrest ring once you buy it from him, unless you're using a weapon enchant in which case lingering dragoncrest makes more sense. Rescue Dusk for her crown. Then rush the two bells, free logan and buy his spells asap. Keep upgrading INT and you should be set until you buy the crystal spells from him in Dukes.

You should have gotten the tin banishment catalyst with that crimson set as well, it's not the best catalyst but is a pretty good melee weapon for the early game for a caster.
Head to New Londo and you can buy some spells from the blacksmith on the broken stairs there. Getting Griggs early is useful, but make sure you have the residence key. You'll probably rarely take off the bellowing dragoncrest ring once you buy it from him, unless you're using a weapon enchant in which case lingering dragoncrest makes more sense. Rescue Dusk for her crown. Then rush the two bells, free logan and buy his spells asap. Keep upgrading INT and you should be set until you buy the crystal spells from him in Dukes.

I got the shortcut and rescued griggs (damn those dogs suck as a naked SL3!) got heavy soul arrow now as well. Was considering using MK to get some green shards in blighttown and go for a magic weapon (found a shortsword which works with the sorc starting stats). I'll give Tin Banishment a spin and see if it is better than a shortsword, though I assume a magic shortsword would be better.

Booshka

So I've decided to come back to Dark Souls (PS3) and check out the DLC and I just realized that I have to do a ton of stuff over and on top of that I'm on NG+ ack!! If anyone is on tonight at all and would like to help that would be fantastic :p My soul level is currently 90.

I have a SL 85 character that can help, I haven't done much of the DLC on this character either, but I can breeze through the game to get to areas you need help with. I will be eventually be taking this character to level 100, and I also have a couple 120's that can help if you keep leveling your character.

vilmer_

I have a SL 85 character that can help, I haven't done much of the DLC on this character either, but I can breeze through the game to get to areas you need help with. I will be eventually be taking this character to level 100, and I also have a couple 120's that can help if you keep leveling your character.

Sweet, I'm on right now. Spent the last few hours with the Hydra, Blighttown and Sen's. Right now I'm in Anor Londo, shoot over a msg if you're around PSN - Vilmer. I think I just need Anor done and then have to kill a lizard in the Duke's Archives and then I think I can access the DLC.

I couldn't figure out how to hit with Tin Banishment? It always seems to cast instead. Took a trip to Blighttown and did a couple of slug runs, not bad, SL3, +5 magic shortsword, crimson set, bellowing dragoncrest ring, and +2 estus... all done before Taurus Demon (or any other boss) has been killed. Definitely fun and challenging in its own right, but it sure as heck took me a lot longer than those guys on youtube ;)

Sullichin

I couldn't figure out how to hit with Tin Banishment? It always seems to cast instead. Took a trip to Blighttown and did a couple of slug runs, not bad, SL3, +5 magic shortsword, crimson set, bellowing dragoncrest ring, and +2 estus. Definitely fun and challenging in its own right, but it sure as heck took me a lot longer than those guys on youtube ;)

L2 or R2 depending on your hand, but if you already made a magic weapon don't bother.

Booshka

Sweet, I'm on right now. Spent the last few hours with the Hydra, Blighttown and Sen's. Right now I'm in Anor Londo, shoot over a msg if you're around PSN - Vilmer. I think I just need Anor done and then have to kill a lizard in the Duke's Archives and then I think I can access the DLC.

PSN messages take forever, are you finished with Anor Londo, or do you need help with it now?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
PC version question...

Is there some weird installation issue with Windows 8? I try to start it and steam gives me a key to copy to clipboard, then the game crashes.

I tried the fixes Steam support suggested, but nada.

Dresden

Did a quick run through DeSouls recently and I really miss how powerful bows are in that game. Sticky Compound Longbow +5 4ever.

Booshka

Did a quick run through DeSouls recently and I really miss how powerful bows are in that game. Sticky Compound Longbow +5 4ever.

It's not as OP as that classic, but the Composite bow +15 on a Quality build is amazing as well. You have to put a little more effort into it to make up for that short range. Feather Arrows and a Hawk ring can make it very effective for sniping. Large and Feather arrows for everything else, I got really good at switching to Feather arrows for mid-long ranges, and quick swapping to Hawk ring and using Feather arrows for sniping. It wrecks just about everything.

Had a three or so month break from the game but I want to return to DS again now. Thinking of starting a pure STR character up, anyone done that? I fancy trying out some of the crazy heavy swords in the game. I recall there being one right at the start by the graveyard. Not sure if its any good and probably won't be able to use it for ages. I am thinking Havel ring and armour (once I am at Anor Lando) and I guess trying with no shield.

Had a three or so month break from the game but I want to return to DS again now. Thinking of starting a pure STR character up, anyone done that? I fancy trying out some of the crazy heavy swords in the game. I recall there being one right at the start by the graveyard. Not sure if its any good and probably won't be able to use it for ages. I am thinking Havel ring and armour (once I am at Anor Lando) and I guess trying with no shield.
zweihander is a good choice for an early str weapon. or venture into blighttown for the large or great club. depending on your starting class, even just sticking with a battle axe or mace can serve you well. there's also the great axe in the depths, and a decent boss weapon from that area boss. further down blighttown, into the ash lake you can get the dragon greatsword early on. just don't rest at any bonfires, or you're going to have a long journey back up. the butcher knife can also be obtained very early on.

if you join the forest covenant early in the game, the merchant sells some good str weaps.

zweihander is a good choice for an early str weapon. or venture into blighttown for the large or great club. depending on your starting class, even just sticking with a battle axe or mace can serve you well. there's also the great axe in the depths, and a decent boss weapon from that area boss. further down blighttown, into the ash lake you can get the dragon greatsword early on. just don't rest at any bonfires, or you're going to have a long journey back up. the butcher knife can also be obtained very early on.

if you join the forest covenant early in the game, the merchant sells some good str weaps.

Cheers, I forgot about the Butcher Knife. I am thinking the Man-Serpent Sword will be good too, it's got crazy damage at +15 iirc. Dragon Greatsword would be cool, nice one!

Once you get enough strength, I definitely recommend trying out the Demon's Greataxe. It's the strongest weapon in the game once you hit a certain level of strength, I believe. It just tears through everything. I love doing PVP with it as well. I'm not that great, but if I can get a single hit in then I've generally won (unless they have decent poise). Without good poise, it will stagger most people and then it's only a couple more shots and they are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom