• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
I just feel like helping people on the PC version as a sunbro. What's the best area/level? Gonna make a new character and run through the game to do so.

Mr.Ock

I just feel like helping people on the PC version as a sunbro. What's the best area/level? Gonna make a new character and run through the game to do so.

Personally, I've been summoned the most in these places

1) Anor Londo (any level from 35-55 I guess)
2) Blighttown (level 20-ish)
3) In front of Artorias' fog door, for him or Kalameet (I was at level 70 or 80)

anor londo is definitely the "best" place. 40-50 is optimal, but anywhere from 30-80 works just fine (ps3).

if that gets stale, sl70-90 allows you to rotate between demon ruins, lost izalith, tombs, dukes, 4k, etc, with moderate waiting. demon ruins prolly gets you the most games, but its boring and the sl reward is fairly low. dukes is pretty active, but its a long journey and i tend to find the summoner dying more often. this is my experience on ps3, however.

So, what the hell is this?

ibxKP0SOqBsBNb.png

Booshka

That's a Vagrant, I have heard that they spawn when someone fails to retrieve their bloodstain, or drops an item that doesn't get picked up. They are very rare, they usually drop Humanity, but sometimes other random consumables can be dropped.

sigh, Nito is just spamming that ground knives thing, over and over.

Is their a trick for him?
if you be up in his face, he won't do them--at least not that much. it seems natural to pull the skeletons and fight them separately; resist the urge. they don't do much dmg or have much hp anyways. nito's attacks are very slow, it's very easy to run in range, bait one, then back off and kill a skeleton.

either that, or just learn to roll the gravelord swords, using the audio cues to help. i count to about 3 after the scream.

He's pretty easy. Go to the other side of the cave, so he can't see you. Now equip a divine wep, kill the skeletons and then stick close to him.

His attacks are really easy to see, and he doesn't have a lot of HP.

If you stay near the area where you fell into the boss chamber the giant skeletons won't harass you. As others have said, if you get up in his face he won't use his sword spell on you. If he keeps spamming it anyway you can dodge it by rolling exactly at the end of every "scream".

Pollux

Finally picked this up again after a few months, and on my first try this morning I finally beat Quelaag. Felt so damn good. I went back up to Firelink Shrine and there was a creepy worm thing.

Ended up going up to the bonfire in the Undead Parish, near the blacksmith, b/c the one at the Shrine was out.

So a few questions:

1) How do I relight that?
2) Where do I go from here? The gate to Sen's Fortress is open, and as soon as I walked in the door I got attacked by a creature with a snake for a head. Do I go down to the ruins of Anor Londo? As soon as I get down there I get attacked by a couple ghosts wielding scythes? How do I kill them? Or finally, past the blacksmith is a thing throwing yellow lightning at me, do I kill him first and go past him?

Basically, where the hell do I go from here? haha

You'll be able to later in the game.
Once you're in Anor Londo, you'll have the chance to invade Lautrec at one point. Kill him, and you'll get the Firekeeper's soul back. Make sure that you don't reinforce your Estus at another Firekeeper -- just take it back to Firelink and you can bring the Firekeeper back to life.

2) Where do I go from here? The gate to Sen's Fortress is open, and as soon as I walked in the door I got attacked by a creature with a snake for a head. Do I go down to the ruins of Anor Londo? As soon as I get down there I get attacked by a couple ghosts wielding scythes? How do I kill them? Or finally, past the blacksmith is a thing throwing yellow lightning at me, do I kill him first and go past him?

You can pretty much go wherever you want. I wouldn't recommend New Londo yet, though. You could either go to the forest and beat the bosses there (which is past the Titanite Demon, the guy that throws lightning at you) or on through Sen's Fortress.

Finally picked this up again after a few months, and on my first try this morning I finally beat Quelaag. Felt so damn good. I went back up to Firelink Shrine and there was a creepy worm thing.

Ended up going up to the bonfire in the Undead Parish, near the blacksmith, b/c the one at the Shrine was out.

So a few questions:

i'd go into the forest area first. killing the prowling demon is optional, as he's slow and won't chase you. there are a few good items here i'd get before progressing into sens. new londo is the last place out of the three, due to the place being closed off until a certain point. a reason to go there first is if you wanna become a darkwraith asap. besides, the closest bonfire is the firelink shrine, and that's burnt out. to restore it, have you checked the firekeeper? an item gets left behind. you can read the item description for story/clues.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
well i think i broke the game, i got this retardedly strong sword from the black knight now im one shotting everything.
Honestly, you must be overleveled, as black knight weapons require hefty stat investments.

So a few questions:

1) You can't relight that right now, you need to go through Sen's Fortress and a good chunk of the level that comes after it before you have what you need to relight it. Basically, don't worry about it for now.
2) You meant New Londo ruins, not Anor Londo. The ghosts can be killed
by having a cursed weapon (very rare), or by being cursed yourself. There are few cursed weapons, two of which are dropped by the ghosts themselves, and the other requires a huge stat investment so I wouldn't worry about those weapons for now. So you need to get yourself cursed to kill the ghosts. You can do that either by suiciding at the frogs in the Depths (NOT recommended as it halves your HP and forces you to play Hollow), or by using a Transient Curse consumable (recommended). The transient curses last a good 5 minutes or so, and the ghosts drop them fairly often, and you can buy an infinite supply from a vendor inside the ruins if you ever run low.
I would not recommend going to New Londo right away, though, because you won't be able to face the boss right away:
you need to defeat a boss you'll encounter way past the lightning demon before being able to access the end of the New Londo level.
The lightning demon can be bypassed, he won't chase you, but you should be able to kill him fairly easily by now. You'll probably walk to and from that area often so he's worth killing just for the convenience. ^^ Also, you'll see more of those demons later in the game, so if you fight him, take the time to memorize his patterns, as that will be useful later on. Past him is an important area, you can go there before going to Sen's if you want, it's up to you really.

I've been wondering...

Has anyone ever beaten Dark Souls (or Demon's Souls) without dying? Obviously the tutorial boss in DmS doesn't count. :p

I was watching non-death runs of some old school games and it made me start thinking of the Souls games.

I've been wondering...

Has anyone ever beaten Dark Souls (or Demon's Souls) without dying? Obviously the tutorial boss in DmS doesn't count. :p

I was watching non-death runs of some old school games and it made me start thinking of the Souls games.

I think quite a few of the speedruns play through the game without dying.

Joei

So I'm a level 9 Bandit, got through most of the game with little trouble, and now I'm at the final boss... what the hell, man, what the hell... I've been trying to kill this guy for about 3 or 4 hours now, and I'm lucky if I can get 2 counters on him. Every guide I've looked up is pointless cause their tips have me equipping stuff I can't equip. Any suggestions?

So I'm a level 9 Bandit, got through most of the game with little trouble, and now I'm at the final boss... what the hell, man, what the hell... I've been trying to kill this guy for about 3 or 4 hours now, and I'm lucky if I can get 2 counters on him. Every guide I've looked up is pointless cause their tips have me equipping stuff I can't equip. Any suggestions?
Are you purposely staying at such a low level? If not, level up!

What weapon are you using? Have you upgraded it to +15?

I think most people would be around SL70-80 or maybe even higher on their first playthrough when they get to Gwyn. His attacks are fire-based as well as physical, so using high fire-resistant gear is always a good idea. Gold Hemmed Set, Black Iron stuff they have good fire resistance, dragon crest, grass crest, heater shield etc.

People usually go for parrying him if you're not going for the much easier/cheesier magic or pyro options.

Joei

Are you purposely staying at such a low level? If not, level up!

What weapon are you using? Have you upgraded it to +15?

I think most people would be around SL70-80 or maybe even higher on their first playthrough when they get to Gwyn. His attacks are fire-based as well as physical, so using high fire-resistant gear is always a good idea. Gold Hemmed Set, Black Iron stuff they have good fire resistance, dragon crest, grass crest, heater shield etc.

People usually go for parrying him if you're not going for the much easier/cheesier magic or pyro options.

Yes, I've purposely stayed that level. My intention was to level up STR and DEX to 14 so I could equip and use an Uchi. which I don't even use since my weapon of choice is the Furysword +5. I stayed low level since I was a Demon's Souls vet and I wanted the challenge. Like I said, most of the game hasn't been too hard, save a few areas. I'll probably just have to beat it through counters; I just really wanted to vent since I'm extremely annoyed with him right now.

Ahhh OK, well that's great to do a low level run on your first playthrough.

I'm not really the one to comment on countering him, I never learned to his attack patterns to parry him so I just use magic/pyro! I have seen a lot of people use the second hit of that 3-hit attack he does to kind of 'confirm' a parry.

That's pretty impressive, level 9 on your first playthrough.

At that level, parrying is really your best bet. Gwyn is really fast and rarely gives you time to recover or heal. So at that level, you likely don't have enough stamina to block and dodge long enough to beat him without a huge pain if you don't parry. I found that his two handed attacks are the easiest to parry.

If you have an attunement slot you may also want to throw on Flash Sweat for the fire resistance.

Joei

YOU DEFEATED

Holy shit that took me a lot of tries.

I had to parry for almost every attack. If I had enough distance between us when he did the grab or kick move, I could sneak in a strike. The problem I had was I almost couldn't make a mistake. I use a silver knight shield, so my stability was fairly high, but since I had limited stamina, I could only block 3 attacks before my stamina was drained.

As for my level, yes, it was the first time I completed the game, but not my first attempt. I had another character that was like in the 50s that got me through Sen's, but I thought the game was a bit easy and figured I had the mechanics and nuances for melee combat down, so I thought I'd do a low-level run. Plus, I am rather experienced with Demon's so it didn't take me too long to figure things out.

Khronico

Alright, reached the Kiln and I'm almost SL 100 on my 1st playthrough (I kinda feel overleveled lol). I've also been reading up on suggested actions before NG+. Anyone got good ideas on what I should do before I take on Gwyn? So far I'm thinking about farming more humanity, killing a firekeeper for a +5 estus, and maaaaybe killing gwyndolin.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Hand most NPCs you can find for humanity. Do kill Gwyndolyn unless you really care about the darkmoon covenant. Kill some firekeepers indeed, you won't need them when you're at the Kiln. Buy the master key if you don't have it already.

Eh, think that's it.

zaxon

Alright, reached the Kiln and I'm almost SL 100 on my 1st playthrough (I kinda feel overleveled lol). I've also been reading up on suggested actions before NG+. Anyone got good ideas on what I should do before I take on Gwyn? So far I'm thinking about farming more humanity, killing a firekeeper for a +5 estus, and maaaaybe killing gwyndolin.

Complete any flame/chaos upgrades you want, then kill Vamos for his sweet fashion accessory drop.

Cmagus

I finally beat Four Kings and my god was that fight so hard. I'd say the hardest by far for me so far. I actually got lucky and just ran in swinging and won lol.

Started with my STR build and so far it's going well, it almost feels like you need to learn the game again. The very fact that the Ultra Great Swords leave you so vulnerable when you have attacked requires lots more thought than something lighter like the Claymore which you can just fling about. After 250+ hours previously with the game, this is very different over my other three characters.

Anyway, I've done the Bell Gargoyles a few times to get some early souls, and I've opened up the door into the Forest. My plan is to grind a little bit here, then join the Forest Hunters and meet up with Shiva down in Blighttown for his wares. Then attempt to get down to Ash Lake (this will be very hard based on my current level I think) and grab the Dragon Sword off of the Covenant there.

I went with a Pyromancer build but not sure yet whether I'll upgrade the glove much; I've done all that before. Will be using my Longbow though once I've got enough DEX :)

I could play Dark Souls forever, it just seems to have infinite replayability to me. Just talking about it now makes me want to go and play but I am now at work (from home though hahaha!).

Still haven't ever done a Miracle build. If it's anything like Sorceries I'll love it :)

Then attempt to get down to Ash Lake (this will be very hard based on my current level I think) and grab the Dragon Sword off of the Covenant there.
If all you want is the sword it's easy enough to run for it, the Hydra will follow you for a while, but you should be able to out run it. The first time I did it - only recently - had no idea it could jump over to the otherside, I almost shit myself, I couldn't run fast enough, lol! Just remember don't rest at any bonfires or you have a very long walk back up!

I could play Dark Souls forever, it just seems to have infinite replayability to me. Just talking about it now makes me want to go and play but I am now at work (from home though hahaha!).
I know that feeling well! This game, it gets in your veins.

If all you want is the sword it's easy enough to run for it, the Hydra will follow you for a while, but you should be able to out run it. The first time I did it - only recently - had no idea it could jump over to the otherside, I almost shit myself, I couldn't run fast enough, lol! Just remember don't rest at any bonfires or you have a very long walk back up!

I know that feeling well! This game, it gets in your veins.

That's hilarious, I didn't know it would follow you much either!! :)

To be honest, I am more worried about getting to the bottom past the Frogs etc. I guess it's best to just use the Bonfire at the very top of the tree, right? From memory, there is one at the beach and one at the Covenant.

To be honest, I am more worried about getting to the bottom past the Frogs etc. I guess it's best to just use the Bonfire at the very top of the tree, right? From memory, there is one at the beach and one at the Covenant.
That's right, the one at the top of the great hollow would be best. I've never had a problem with getting cursed anywhere in the game, it must be the armour I use. You can just put on something temporary for the trip down, as long as it has some curse resistance you should be good :)

That's right, the one at the top of the great hollow would be best. I've never had a problem with getting cursed anywhere in the game, it must be the armour I use. You can just put on something temporary for the trip down, as long as it has some curse resistance you should be good :)

Good advice, cheers.

Oh yeah, there is the Red Crimson outfit at the top of Blighttown, or the Black and Gold threaded one by Ceaseless Discharge if I wait until I've taken out Quelaag. Might go for the latter actually.

Fake edit: IIRC the Black one is much better at poison resist actually..

deleted

I have a problem with Dark Souls: It won't start.

It just hangs there in a window and does nothing thereafter. No idea if it's GFWL, a dual screen Setup problem, or something completly different. Isn't my PC though, I convinced a friend to get the game and now it won't even start.

edit: doesn't seem to be 2 screen related, I just took one off, same problem. I shows the steam overlay information and then freezes while only showing the key.

I've been wondering...

I dunno. If you do a playthrough, and plan to fight every boss, you will die once in Duke's.

Khronico

Is it just me, or is the backstab window slightly altered depending on weapon type? I'm playing a new character (STR centered build) and rockin the reinforced club, feels like my backstabs are harder to pull off, especially when trying to strafe behind from the right.

So I've played for a while today tackling the Duke's and decided to go human. I've done it here and there but this time I've tried staying with it after getting invaded and destroyed.

This one guy invaded me and decided to head down to the lower area before the duke bonfire and smashed all the furniture for an unblemished battle arena. I decided to help. But channelors kept shooting there shit and he gestured up and I took it as "get those bitches so we can fight without interruption." So I head up to do so and after taking out one, he sends a message: "come down". I do, and he heads to the newly opened area with all the chests. There we fight. After several whiffs and rolls from both of us, I die. No backstab, no healing and I noticed he was two-handing it, so I also turtled my shield and fought him blade to blade. If every invasion was like that, I would never have shied away from going human in my nearly 95 hours with the game. Instead, I get hit with shit I've never seen before with my invader's only goal to spam and exploit stupid shit to get that victory. The guy before the guy with honor somehow morphed behind me for a back stab after I seemed to have a clean, jumping R2 attack.

Anyway. Is that it for Duke's? Dead end? No secret areas or paths to other parts of the world? And what should I do next? I haven't explored the great hollow nor have I gone through the other opened orange fog gates. And Tomb of Giants if half explored. Haven't wandered beyond Patches much.

Sullichin

The other day someone used a hacked weapon on me that de leveled me while keeping my stats the same. :/ Heard about it so I knew what happened when I signed back on and my level 120 was suddenly 115. The weird thing is, ive heard of hacks that keep your SL but lower your stats. This was actually the opposite, my character was 115 but if you calculate the stats I should have been 120... It actually gave my character an advantage. Weird thing for someone to do, i wonder ir i fought anyone afterward who assumed i was cheating on purpose- although its hard for them to tell. Thankfully I've got save backups on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom